PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Unveils Mac Office 2008 Packages, Pricing

Mr. Dee
Sep 24, 2007, 11:44 PM
The product will come in three flavors. The standard version, known simply as Office 2008 for Mac, includes PowerPoint, Word, Excel and Entourage and will sell for $399. A $499 Special Media Edition also includes Expression Media, a digital media cataloguing program that Microsoft acquired from its 2006 purchase of iView Multimedia.

Both the Special Media Edition and the standard Office for Mac also include the ability to connect to an Exchange Server, as well as some actions for Automator, Mac OS X's built-in scripting tool.

Read the entire article here (http://www.news.com/Microsoft-sets-pricing-on-Office-2008-for-Mac/2100-1012_3-6209269.html?tag=nefd.top)

Nermal
Sep 24, 2007, 11:51 PM
Expression Media? Interesting! I wonder whether we'll eventually get Blend too.

I expect that I'll get Office for free from work anyway :D

Eidorian
Sep 24, 2007, 11:52 PM
I love my site license. Even the home/student version doesn't look that bad.

KJmoon117
Sep 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
Read the entire article here (http://www.news.com/Microsoft-sets-pricing-on-Office-2008-for-Mac/2100-1012_3-6209269.html?tag=nefd.top)

Wow 400$ for the regular version and 500$ for the "special" media edition...

Thank God my mom is a student... However when they say:
Microsoft is also launching a tech guarantee program under which people who buy Office 2004 between now and March 15 will be able to upgrade to the comparable version of Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling, around $10.

When they say comparable version, I'm guessing I can buy a student version of MS Office 2004 for the Mac for around 60$ then upgrade to 2008 for 10$ extra? Now I'm not the kind of guy who milks out companies or anyone but his is Microsoft... lol

Anyways, I'll be getting 2004 for free from my mom's work... So if I get that do you think I can upgrade to '08? lol

Mr. Dee
Sep 24, 2007, 11:58 PM
I love my site license. Even the home/student version doesn't look that bad.

If you have access to a Site license, it must mean you should at least get access to the Standard and Special SKUs which both include the Exchange support through Entourage 2008. Microsoft needs to beef up the SKU values though, with the loss of Virtual PC which came with Office for Mac 2004 Pro Edition, the value looks like its struggling. Yes there are some nifty features in 2008 and I sure will be taking a look at it, but I think the sweet needs one more app. Its time to bring over OneNote I say.

Mr. Dee
Sep 25, 2007, 12:04 AM
Wow 400$ for the regular version and 500$ for the "special" media edition...

Thank God my mom is a student... However when they say:

When they say comparable version, I'm guessing I can buy a student version of MS Office 2004 for the Mac for around 60$ then upgrade to 2008 for 10$ extra? Now I'm not the kind of guy who milks out companies or anyone but his is Microsoft... lol

Anyways, I'll be getting 2004 for free from my mom's work... So if I get that do you think I can upgrade to '08? lol

I assume your mom is under a Volume License contract at work which gives her home rights/use. Then it would be assumed that if the Company gives her access to the 2008 software she should be able to upgrade her home license of it too. Remember, the license is on lease from the Company, its not hers. And if she leaves there is the issue of perpetual licensing. If I were you, I would look into getting the Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition then take advantage of the free upgrade pricing for the appropriate pricing when it comes out.

KJmoon117
Sep 25, 2007, 12:25 AM
I assume your mom is under a Volume License contract at work which gives her home rights/use. Then it would be assumed that if the Company gives her access to the 2008 software she should be able to upgrade her home license of it too. Remember, the license is on lease from the Company, its not hers. And if she leaves there is the issue of perpetual licensing. If I were you, I would look into getting the Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition then take advantage of the free upgrade pricing for the appropriate pricing when it comes out.

Yeah definitely, I have multiple ways of getting Office (legally) but the school store sells them for 64$..

So many things to buy yet so little cash... But it isn't really a company, it's more of a laboratory...

Thanks.

Peace
Sep 25, 2007, 12:40 AM
Wonder if there's going to be an upgrade path like MS does with other products.

jackc
Sep 25, 2007, 12:44 AM
What kind of Automator actions do you think they're talking about?

And I guess for the Home and Student edition, anyone can qualify, it's not just for students anymore (or people pretending to be students)? I think I remember hearing about that before, but I wasn't sure.

MisterMe
Sep 25, 2007, 12:55 AM
Expression Media? Interesting! ...I was thinking this was Expression, but it is just a cataloging app from a different source. I am much more interested in the ability to connect to Exchange servers. Has Microsoft increased the functionality of Entourage or does it think that a cosmetic and UB upgrade to Entourage 2004 is good enough?

bluebomberman
Sep 25, 2007, 01:34 AM
And I guess for the Home and Student edition, anyone can qualify, it's not just for students anymore (or people pretending to be students)? I think I remember hearing about that before, but I wasn't sure.

Correct; they're dropping the silly pretense of the specially priced student and teacher edition. That's why it's called "Home and Student" instead of "Student and Teacher"...

Not sure what to do, personally...$149 is a lot for something that doesn't strike me as a total necessity with all the choices we have.

Scrivener + iWork might be enough for me...

Slumbercub
Sep 25, 2007, 01:46 AM
I'll pass thanks. iWork does all I need. :)

bluebomberman
Sep 25, 2007, 01:52 AM
I am much more interested in the ability to connect to Exchange servers. Has Microsoft increased the functionality of Entourage or does it think that a cosmetic and UB upgrade to Entourage 2004 is good enough?

Hard to tell from the preview site (http://www.macoffice2008.com/#os_eg). You might not get a good answer until January 2008.

MacRumors
Sep 25, 2007, 08:58 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Microsoft has announced packages and pricing (http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archive/2007/09/24/hello-from-paris-expo.aspx) of their upcoming Office 2008, to be released in January.

Version:Notable Features:Price
Home and Student Edition: Contains all core Office products, but lacks Exchange support : $149.95(full version only)
Standard Edition: Core products, including Exchange support and support for Automator workflows : $399.95(full)/$239.95(upgrade)
Special Media Edition: Standard Edition plus Expression Media for Mac (Windows product link (http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/overview.aspx?key=media)) : $499.95(full)/$299.95(upgrade)

All versions have been further localized to Danish, Finnish & Norwegian (the "Nordic Pack".)

Also announced is a new technology guarantee. Buyers of Office 2004 from here on out will be eligible for an upgrade to Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/25/microsoft-unveils-mac-office-2008-packages-pricing/)

FJ218700
Sep 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
so if I have Office 2004, the upgrade is free plus S&H? Can't be right.

longofest
Sep 25, 2007, 09:03 AM

If you buy office 2004 today, you are eligible for a free upgrade.

atari1356
$150 isn't bad for the Home Edition.

For my needs though... I'll stick to NeoOffice.

That Expression Media things looks kind of interesting - it appears to be the result of Microsoft buying iView Media:

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

Microsoft Expression Media is a professional asset management tool to visually catalog and organize all your digital assets for effortless retrieval and presentation, and is based on iView MediaPro 3.

zioxide
no exchange support for student edition?? wtf.

my college uses exchange.

**** microsoft

ruckus
Wow is that what office is going for these days?

synth3tik
Rubbish, Neo-Office is 5X better,

kwood
Sep 25, 2007, 09:05 AM

I think it means if you buy it right now then you can get a free upgrade. Just like when Vista was announced, if you bought Windows XP they would give you a free upgrade to the equivalent edition of Vista plus shipping and handling.

Yateball
Can't believe they're giving a free upgrade....... I suppose they did it with XP to Vista too though.

That's awesome though, hopefully it's actually a good improvement cuz I liked 2004 quite a bit.

zirkle2007
seems a little overpriced. why would anyone pay 499 for an office software package? It looks cool, but I'm not paying that much.

PlaceofDis
i'll probably end up getting the home edition, i don't need exchange support, and really would like a better version of word/excel.

looking forward to trying it out though.
can't believe its going to take so long for release though.

cwedl
Microsoft are being greddy as usual, obviously iWork 08 doesn't shake them! I think for my needs iWork 08 is fine!

El Capitano
Sep 25, 2007, 09:06 AM
Wow. That's outstanding news.

Currently, here in the UK at least, there's Student & Teacher edition (reasonably priced) or Standard edition (outrageously priced). The "Home" monicker suggests that the reasonably-priced edition is now being opened up to those who don't have educational status.

Never thought I'd say this, but well done, Microsoft.

Jasonbot

no, if you buy 04 from now until when '08 is released you get a free upgrade.

Mac In School
I'm pretty excited about the lower priced home/student edition. Word and Excel are all I need.

MacAodh
Sep 25, 2007, 09:07 AM
Automator support!!!! that's really great, wouldn't you hate not to have visual basic support... cough cough neooffice..... (plus if you download neooffice today.... you can download the newer one when ever it comes out for less then the price of shipping office...)

P.s.
I'm just waiting until symphony comes to the mac. Until then neooffice is pristine...

KilGil27
Sep 25, 2007, 09:08 AM
eh... I'll just download it. Way too expensive

aLoC
Sep 25, 2007, 09:08 AM
Microsoft sure do love their editions.

I guess you can't buy Word separately any more since home edition is only $150.

Yateball
Sep 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
eh... I'll just download it. Way too expensive

Careful... one can only assume you're not downloading it legally lol

Anders4444
Sep 25, 2007, 09:09 AM
Aren't the Swedish in the "nordic Pack" aswell?

alywa
Sep 25, 2007, 09:10 AM
The home edition seems like a reasonable buy, but the other versions are pretty insanely priced, IMHO.

I'm still running Office X on my folk's iMac... 2004 on mine. I see no reason to upgrade. Of course, all of my macs are PPC... guess I'll upgrade to get universal when I get a new intel-based mac.

Yateball
Sep 25, 2007, 09:11 AM
Microsoft sure do love their editions.

I guess you can't buy Word separately any more since home edition is only $150.

lol you're saying Microsoft loves their editions? Apple releases new OS's just as frequently (if not even more frequently) than Microsoft..... Not to mention a little thing called iWork '06, iWork '08..... hmm that's a smaller gap than 2004 to 2008 I think....

And I realize now that you were talking about variations of the same software, not new releases..... lol misunderstood

maberga29
Sep 25, 2007, 09:11 AM
Does anyone know what increadible advances have been made in '08?
Unless it turns .doc files to gold, I won't be upgrading.

syklee26
Sep 25, 2007, 09:13 AM
anyone who thinks iWork is better than Office is either a fool or a fanboy. Neither is better than the other. they serve different purpose.

plus, if you are willing to forgo those $400 and $500 version, Excel itself is worth $150. I generally don't like MS products but Office is an exception.

plus, the notes layout only found in Mac Office is great when you are taking lecture notes for the class. iWork just doesn't give you as good of a tool when you are trying to word process. iWork is great at making pages, but it is not a good word processor.

I do agree that Keynote is better than PowerPoint but there is a compatibility issue too.

joeconvert
Sep 25, 2007, 09:14 AM
lol you're saying Microsoft loves their editions? Apple releases new OS's just as frequently (if not even more frequently) than Microsoft..... Not to mention a little thing called iWork '06, iWork '08..... hmm that's a smaller gap than 2004 to 2008 I think....

And I realize now that you were talking about variations of the same software, not new releases..... lol misunderstood

I the poster was pointing out that Microsoft always seems to have 3+ versions of every current product.

NtotheIzoo

**** microsoft

I agree...that sux hardcore...

KilGil27
there's a ribbon! it's so cool looking...

EricNau
Good news for me. ...I'll be buying as soon as it's released. :)

n-abounds
Sep 25, 2007, 09:16 AM
Brr. They're trying to get me to download Silverlight? Brr...

chrisbeebops

Probably not, but it will be able to easily read and edit the .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx files that my Windows-based friends and teachers keep sending me.

Yateball
I the poster was pointing out that Microsoft always seems to have 3+ versions of every current product.

Yup, that's why I said that in the last line of my post.... and to the original poster.... you're right Microsoft does always seem to have different variations. They claim it's to give people only what they really "need", but you know it's just a moneygrab for people looking at the versions thinking "man I want the super ultimate pwnage edition cuz it sounds better than all the others"

NtotheIzoo
Sep 25, 2007, 09:17 AM

I understood where you were coming from. But, in this case, I'd rather have options than be stuck with having to buy a $400 piece of software.

My main complaint as I semi-stated above is, why no exchange support in Student-Teacher edition. Way bogus too me.

Dwight Schrute
Sep 25, 2007, 09:19 AM

Nah, they're probably in the "Alpine Pack". :rolleyes:

j763
Sep 25, 2007, 09:21 AM

uh... presumably it will turn .doc files into .docx files actually.

CrzyCanuck72
Sep 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
it will be Universal. That's the only reason I'm going to upgrade.

spazzcat
Sep 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
Microsoft are being greddy as usual, obviously iWork 08 doesn't shake them! I think for my needs iWork 08 is fine!

I am liking iWork 08 more and more. The next version should be excellent:)

notjustjay
Sep 25, 2007, 09:23 AM
Is this the edition with the ribbon? Hmmm. I felt like I was at square one again the other day when a friend asked me to help her fill out a form that was done up in Word. She handed me her laptop running Vista and the new Office with the ribbon. Just trying to figure out how to save the file, I was completely perplexed.

Native intel binaries vs. having to re-learn everything. Hmm.

At least I will be able to obtain the full version for $30 through my workplace. :D

longofest
Sep 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
The home edition seems like a reasonable buy, but the other versions are pretty insanely priced, IMHO.

I'm still running Office X on my folk's iMac... 2004 on mine. I see no reason to upgrade. Of course, all of my macs are PPC... guess I'll upgrade to get universal when I get a new intel-based mac.

I run 2004 on my Intel MacBook, and it runs fine. I don't see any reason to upgrade to 2008, personally, and the fact that they are removing VB support is a killer.

Dimwhit
Sep 25, 2007, 09:26 AM
$150 isn't bad for the Home Edition.

And according to MacWorld, the Home Edition comes with 3 user licenses. If true, that makes the basic office $50/copy if you need a few. That's a great deal.

spazzcat
Sep 25, 2007, 09:27 AM
Expression Media is this product really needed?

nigrunze
Sep 25, 2007, 09:28 AM
Hmm. $80 versus $150. I think the choice is pretty obvious for most people.

CortoMaltese
Sep 25, 2007, 09:28 AM
> Rubbish, Neo-Office is 5X better,

I agree that it's a lot cheaper, but I fail to see why it would be better. I think that some MS antipathy colors your judgement...

Considering the power on offer, the home edition is priced quite ok. And you KNOW that any word and excel files, even those with macros, will work without a headache.
Yes, iWork is very nice indeed. Now it costs $70 less. Or take NeoOffice for $149 less.
Consider on the other hand, how much is your time worth, even your personal time.
If you expect that you will need to spend a number of hours fixing conversion of ppt, doc and xls that you receive from others, then I'd say that the price difference is meaningless.

Corto

Squonk
Sep 25, 2007, 09:29 AM
So home and student do not include automator support? Is that right? If so, that's bogus!

halo1982
Sep 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
Quit bitching people.
Nothing to see here, move along.
Prices mirror those of the PC counterparts, I don't see why everyone is complaining. The full version of Office 2007 Pro on the PC is $500, granted you get a ton of apps, but the core (Word/Excel/Outlook/Powerpoint) is all you really use anyway (although I wouldn't mind Access:Mac). We're not getting ripped off, it's an expensive Office suite. And it'll be so nice to get rid of the last PowerPC programs I have on my computer, all from Office:2004.
Although I agree that no Automator support and no Exchange support in the Home/Student editions is ******.

mack2
Sep 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
I'll also be upgrading as soon as the 2008 professional version is available at an educator's discount (which should be in the $100 to 150 range). I'm hoping that this will resolve certain translation issues, such as occasional stray marks when I move a Powerpoint from Mac to a PC platform or my inability read .docx files that are sent to me as attachments.

twoodcc
Sep 25, 2007, 09:31 AM
looks like I'll stick to iWork 08 for awhile

j763
Sep 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
And you KNOW that any word and excel files, even those with macros, will work without a headache.

That will be interesting to see actually, considering VB support for Mac is dropped in the upcoming suite. Admittedly, I haven't looked to see what if anything they're doing to handle documents with macros.

Fabio_gsilva
Sep 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
Careful... one can only assume you're not downloading it legally lol

OMG! :eek:

Is it ilegal to download a software without buying license for using it???:p

Will download either... way too expensive. But, i bought iWork'08!

pgwalsh
Sep 25, 2007, 09:34 AM
seems a little overpriced. why would anyone pay 499 for an office software package? It looks cool, but I'm not paying that much.
The $499 version includes expression media. Do you need expression media? Is it vital for your workflow?

The home edition is only $149, which isn't too bad considering how much just excel, word and powerpoint used to cost individually years ago.

It's unfortunate that they jacked the price up another $250 for exchange and automater support. I could care less about exchange, but automater support would be quite nice. Office 2004 works well on my computer and I can not see a reason to upgrade unless you need exchange.

jettredmont
Sep 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
anyone who thinks iWork is better than Office is either a fool or a fanboy. Neither is better than the other. they serve different purpose.

plus, if you are willing to forgo those $400 and $500 version, Excel itself is worth $150. I generally don't like MS products but Office is an exception.

plus, the notes layout only found in Mac Office is great when you are taking lecture notes for the class. iWork just doesn't give you as good of a tool when you are trying to word process. iWork is great at making pages, but it is not a good word processor.

I do agree that Keynote is better than PowerPoint but there is a compatibility issue too.

Excel and Numbers are definitely different beasts; they don't directly substitute one for the other (although I'm rather happy having been doing all my home spreadsheeting on Numbers since it came out).

But Pages isn't a good word processor? I find it significantly easier to use, faster, and more stable than Word 2004. If I open up a blank "word processing" page it's just the same as working with Word aside from the non-retarded interface.

The "Notes" layout isn't replicated in Pages, so if that's critical and you don't already have a better outline editor (ahem, OmniOutliner), or a significantly better note-cataloguing system (DevonThink for instance) then maybe you've got a "killer" feature. But if you don't use it (I certainly don't) then that doesn't matter. Features you don't use fall into the "bloat" column.

In any case, I've found that the one reason I use Word over Pages and Excel over Numbers is that I have to work on and distribute Word and Excel documents at work. The import/export procedures just are not reliable enough and seamless enough to be used to "talk" with actual MS Office users. Still, work pays for that copy of Office, and the existence of iWork means I can paper all the home computers in iWork '08 goodness for significantly less than a single copy of Office would cost (family pack was, IIRC, $89 with the corporate discount).

TheChemist
Sep 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
Even with educational pricing (professional edition goes for $99), I think i will stick with iWork08.

saxman
Sep 25, 2007, 09:43 AM
No exchange support in the student edition is going to hurt a lot. If you attend a University that is all Microsoft, and their IT department is either closed-minded, or very paranoid, there will be no exchange support for Apple mail or Entourage. Many college IT departments don't turn on the IMAP switch that will allow Apple mail to connect to it (Apple mail says it supports exchange, but only if IAMP support is turned on).

I don't know of another mail program other than Office X or Office 2004 that supports MS Exchange without IMAP. That will lose a sale to me since I have to have exchange support. Maybe Apple will update mail to allow for non-IMAP enabled exchange servers. Otherwise I'll have to stick with Entourage 2004

Arcady
Sep 25, 2007, 09:43 AM

**** microsoft

I don't know what school you go to, but the university I work for lets you buy any Microsoft title for $25 or so (including "pro" versions.) Check your bookstore.

macnvrbck
Sep 25, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm a little confused here...

I have Microsoft Office X for my PPC. It has Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Word could be a little easier to use/nicer interface but I have NO complaints.

Where does this version of Office for OS X stand in the product life cycle that MS has put out for the Mac? How far behind the curve am I using this software over anything else?

B

RedTomato
Sep 25, 2007, 09:47 AM
Special Media EditionStandard Edition plus Expression Media for Mac (Windows product link (http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/overview.aspx?key=media))$499.95(full)/$299.95(upgrade)

This link to Microsoft's site is asking me to download/install Silverlight. While I'm curious to see what their digital media asset management stuff is like, I'm deeply, deeply wary of allowing Silverlight onto my computer or into my browser.

What is it? Will it screw up my mac or my Firefox? Will it make it more unstable? (highly likely if it's a non-office app from MS)

My mac is running pretty well at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way please.

Who here is running Silverlight?

MattyCurry
Sep 25, 2007, 09:48 AM
has anyone here who's used iWork08 and Office 2007 not feel that iWork's a bit.....Fisher-Price in comparison? Keynote's transitions are the only standout feature.

CrzyCanuck72
Sep 25, 2007, 09:49 AM

I have Microsoft Office X for my PPC. It has Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. Word could be a little easier to use/nicer interface but I have NO complaints.

Where does this version of Office for OS X stand in the product life cycle that MS has put out for the Mac? How far behind the curve am I using this software over anything else?

B

Office 2004 was the successor to Office X. Office 2008 is the successor to Office 2004, and it brings it more in line with Office 2007 (PC)

SakeBalboa
Sep 25, 2007, 09:49 AM
CRAAAAP i just bought a copy of office 2004 on sunday...you think i should return it and rebuy it for that technology guarantee?

goodcow
Sep 25, 2007, 09:51 AM
Meanwhile, they're offering the Windows version of Office 2007 for $60 to college students and faculty:
http://www.theultimatesteal.com/

This is a complete slap in the face for Mac users, not that it shouldn't have been expected. F' Microsoft.

bretm
Sep 25, 2007, 09:51 AM

B

I think it came out in 2001. I have office X too and it's great. You don't have to turn it on over the web and it could care less how many computers are running it. It's just a word processor et al and it runs without hesitation on my MacPro. I don't need a native version. X has opened every document anyone has sent me perfectly.

zioxide
Sep 25, 2007, 09:52 AM
what a ****ing rip off

maberga29
Sep 25, 2007, 09:52 AM
CRAAAAP i just bought a copy of office 2004 on sunday...you think i should return it and rebuy it for that technology guarantee?

YES!! Definitely.

kirk26
Sep 25, 2007, 09:53 AM
Still looks better than the Windows version.

matperk
Sep 25, 2007, 09:56 AM
Meanwhile, they're offering the Windows version of Office 2007 for $60 to college students and faculty:
http://www.theultimatesteal.com/

This is a complete slap in the face for Mac users, not that it shouldn't have been expected. F' Microsoft.

I have a feeling that because the Office '07 deal for students runs until April, they will have something similar when Office '08 for Mac comes out in January.

ma2ha3
Sep 25, 2007, 09:56 AM
apple have iwork.
why bother getting office.they must be out of their mind. just like their wow advert for vista. vista is a joke.

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 09:57 AM
Also announced is a new technology guarantee. Buyers of Office 2004 from here on out will be eligible for an upgrade to Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling.

Wow, if Apple would just say that about Leopard, I'd go buy my new MBP tonight.

I was pretty happy with Office X but the (ahem) extended student demo version was wearing on my conscience. So I upgraded to NeoOffice and now I can use either that or iWork.

I also live in this magical dreamworld that someday, someone will release an Office suite whereby all copies sold in Canada have the spell checker set to Canadian spellings (or insert your country here) or make it easy to change it without changing the keyboard around to reflect the mythical "Canadian keyboard" which I've never seen in the real world.

When that happens, I'll maybe reward that company with a purchase. I shouldn't have to hack my iPhone to make it work in my country. Did I say iPhone? I meant office suite.

bananas
Sep 25, 2007, 10:01 AM

There certainly should be swedish too. Sweden has the biggest population of the nordic countries, so it wouldn't make sense to exclude swedish. Especially when swedish is so similar to danish and norwegian and Finland is bilingual.

Mac OS X Ocelot
Sep 25, 2007, 10:02 AM
Microsoft still thinks Office is top dog, eh? For that price, it better not only be better than iWork, but it also had better find all the best free porn on the internet for me.

Yateball
Sep 25, 2007, 10:03 AM

I was pretty happy with Office X but the (ahem) extended student demo version was wearing on my conscience. So I upgraded to NeoOffice and now I can use either that or iWork.

I also live in this magical dreamworld that someday, someone will release an Office suite whereby all copies sold in Canada have the spell checker set to Canadian spellings (or insert your country here) or make it easy to change it without changing the keyboard around to reflect the mythical "Canadian keyboard" which I've never seen in the real world.

When that happens, I'll maybe reward that company with a purchase. I shouldn't have to hack my iPhone to make it work in my country. Did I say iPhone? I meant office suite.

Very well said! Canadians are always getting the shaft though.... it's partly understandable because we're so small in population compared to the states.... but at the same time they should think about their cross border business.

It's spelt COLOUR, not color.... and CENTRE, not center! lol

johngordon
Sep 25, 2007, 10:04 AM

Unless I'm missing something, for a typical home user, the price is falling from $399 to $149?

or is it a typo somewhere, and 'Student and Home' should be 'Student and Teacher'?

or is it aggressive pricing to compete with iWork?

zioxide
Sep 25, 2007, 10:04 AM
I don't know what school you go to, but the university I work for lets you buy any Microsoft title for $25 or so (including "pro" versions.) Check your bookstore.

I can buy software in my bookstore for 5 bucks (thats how i got office 04) but they only have the student versions.

Le Big Mac
Sep 25, 2007, 10:08 AM
I agree...that sux hardcore...

1) It sux for only a few people, since *most* home users don't need exchange. This is a way for MS to charge higher prices to businesses only, and keep prices lower for the average person.

2) I imagine you can use IMAP with your exchange account--you can in the current version. The only thing you won't get is group calendaring. Does that really matter to you? If it really matters, well pony up $250.

macnvrbck
Sep 25, 2007, 10:10 AM
I think it came out in 2001. I have office X too and it's great. You don't have to turn it on over the web and it could care less how many computers are running it. It's just a word processor et al and it runs without hesitation on my MacPro. I don't need a native version. X has opened every document anyone has sent me perfectly.

So what functionality am I missing out on using X rather than the newer 2004? X has done everything I have ever thrown at it and more with not a single problem. I really wish the 'document view' was on the main tool bar and not buried under a menu. Other than that, it is great. Having to not verify it or use a key is quite nice as well. I hear only great things about iWork and wouldn't mind using it over having to emulate X on a Intel machine if I ever give up on my Powerbook.

B

shadowfax
Sep 25, 2007, 10:11 AM
I understood where you were coming from. But, in this case, I'd rather have options than be stuck with having to buy a $400 piece of software.

My main complaint as I semi-stated above is, why no exchange support in Student-Teacher edition. Way bogus too me.

I don't agree with that preference. I'd rather that they just reasonably price the package. Mac OS X is $129, and it's absolutely every bit as full-featured as MS Windows Vista "Ultimate."

CrzyCanuck72
Sep 25, 2007, 10:11 AM
Very well said! Canadians are always getting the shaft though.... it's partly understandable because we're so small in population compared to the states.... but at the same time they should think about their cross border business.

It's spelt COLOUR, not color.... and CENTRE, not center! lol
you can change the dictionary to British English, I just forget how..

kbleicher
Sep 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
Anyone know if Microsoft is making changes to Entourage so Exchange will actually work this time?

Email works fine, but calendar functionality is horrible: Events don't sync properly. So If I have a meeting on both calendars, nuke it at work (PC), then log back on via my Mac / Entourage, Entourage will put the event back on the work PC (rather than noting the newer event on the PC). Thus I can't use Entourage with Exchange because it mucks my calendar up each time it "syncs".

If they're not changing this it's home edition all the way.. Guess I'll have to wait for some reviews to see if they got it working properly...

johngordon
Sep 25, 2007, 10:15 AM
Nope - don't get the negativity.

What would have cost the typical home user $399 will now cost $149.

That's a huge price difference, and so a pretty good thing, right?

Or am I missing something?

ifjake
Sep 25, 2007, 10:21 AM
i don't even think it was that hard to get the student edition anyway. maybe you've got a kid or something. or maybe you could just order it online no questions asked. but is the removal of exchange support new for the student version? cause that's kinda lame.

dailyrev
Sep 25, 2007, 10:33 AM
I've paid for v.x and 2004, and that's the last M$ is getting from me. Whether you use Neo or OO2 with X11, both are terrific products that are already universal binary (how come openoffice could make a UB version so fast and M$ takes nearly two years to come up with one? Could it be a screw-you message to Apple over their delay in making iTunes and iPod Vista-friendly?).

And I have to add this: iWork 08 is excellent. Keynote alone is worth the $80, just a brilliant piece of software. But Pages too is lots better, faster, and more usable, and Numbers is a very good version 1.

Arcus
Sep 25, 2007, 10:35 AM
Great but does it know the difference between 65535 and 100000?

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_thread/thread/2bcad1a1a4861879/2f8806d5400dfe22?hl=en#2f8806d5400dfe22

velocityg4
Sep 25, 2007, 10:36 AM
What I want to know for these high priced editions is where is?

-Access
-Accounting Express
-Communicator (is this Exchange?)
-Groove
-Infopath
-Onenote
-Publisher

Though some of these I could care less about, I would like to see Access and Publisher. Onenote seems like it could have some uses too. I don't use anything besides the basic Word, Excel and Entourage though.

Mainly I just want parallel products when the prices are the same. Of course MS does this to "encourage" Mac users to purchase Windows. Are there any good alternatives to Publisher and Access that are 100% compatible, including any Macros if these programs use them.

Philsy
Sep 25, 2007, 10:36 AM
I use Word all the time - Pages is limited if you have to share with other (often Windows) users. Yes, I know you can export as .doc files but that's a hassle. Besides, Word works well.

I've never used Entourage but the 2008 version with My Day looks tempting. Could it be better than iCal/Mail, I wonder?

Philsy
Sep 25, 2007, 10:37 AM

-Access
-Accounting Express
-Groove
-Infopath
-Onenote
-Publisher

Though some of these I could care less about, I would like to see Access and Publisher. Onenote seems like it could have some uses too. I don't use anything besides the basic Word, Excel and Entourage though.

Mainly I just want parallel products when the prices are the same. Of course MS does this to "encourage" Mac users to purchase Windows. Are there any good alternatives to Publisher and Access that are 100% compatible, including any Macros if these programs use them.

Publisher is the work of the devil. You need InDesign

daveporter
Sep 25, 2007, 10:39 AM
Until I know that I will be able to save documents in standard old .doc file format I won't even consider purchasing Office.

I currently use Pages and NeoOffice for word processing and I have no problems sharing documents with anyone on any platform. For spreadsheet work I often have no choice but to use Excel 2004 due to the lack of support for many scientific functions and graphing capabilities in Numbers and NeoOffice.

If Office requires that I use their new file format as the default file formats then I will not purchase the new Office and continue to use the old Excel when I need to and begin using Numbers when ever I don't require the scientific functions and graphing features.

Dave

MattyCurry
Sep 25, 2007, 10:41 AM

-Access
-Accounting Express
-Groove
-Infopath
-Onenote
-Publisher

Onenote! My Kingdom for Mac Onenote!

Communicator is like a business version of messenger but it also plugs into VOIP to do voicemail and does a nifty presence thingy.

I'm also surpirsed that the mac creative community isn't crying out for Groove. There used to be a mac version before Microsoft bought the company behind it.

overcast
Sep 25, 2007, 10:42 AM
Until I know that I will be able to save documents in standard old .doc file format I won't even consider purchasing Office.

I currently use Pages and NeoOffice for word processing and I have no problems sharing documents with anyone on any platform. For spreadsheet work I often have no choice but to use Excel 2004 due to the lack of support for many scientific functions and graphing capabilities in Numbers and NeoOffice.

If Office requires that I use their new file format as the default file formats then I will not purchase the new Office and continue to use the old Excel when I need to and begin using Numbers when ever I don't require the scientific functions and graphing features.

Dave

Of course you can save in previous formats. Use your brain man.

jonnysods
Sep 25, 2007, 10:42 AM

Preach it man! I am a total and utter Mac love and MS hater - BUT - when it comes to Office software it cannot be beat - iWork has nothing on it, neither does NeoOffice, if you work in an office world like I do. Both of those are good enough for doing basic stuff, but Office has way more to offer. And the pricing is way lower than the Windoze versions. Professional is like $800 in Canada! That's crazy talk!

cliffjumper68
Sep 25, 2007, 10:43 AM

Wait for the catch 22, it is Microsoft after all !

Philsy
Sep 25, 2007, 10:43 AM

Dave

Whoa, new file format? That goes against my previous post. It would cause no end of hassle.

jonnysods
Sep 25, 2007, 10:44 AM
Onenote! My Kingdom for Mac Onenote!

Communicator is like a business version of messenger but it also plugs into VOIP to do voicemail and does a nifty presence thingy.

I'm also surpirsed that the mac creative community isn't crying out for Groove. There used to be a mac version before Microsoft bought the company behind it.

No publisher? But I need Publisher!

overcast
Sep 25, 2007, 10:45 AM
Whoa, new file format? That goes against my previous post. It would cause no end of hassle.

Have you people been living under a rock for the past three years? None of you know about the OpenXML standard that MS has adopted?

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 10:47 AM
you can change the dictionary to British English, I just forget how..

British English is just as different. It's just different in different ways.

When I was a teaching assistant I told my students that when they go to a US school they can use the default Microsoft Word spellchecker all they want, but any papers that come to me will lose marks for spelling if it's not properly spelled for the country they are studying in.

They f*in' hated me.

I also made them shut off the stupid auto-hyperlink feature because it made their bibliographies unreadable. Why does Microsoft think that URLs in printed documents need to be underlined and blue? It just has to be an inside joke among Microsoft programmers, and they snicker quietly to themselves thinking about the number of people who absent-mindedly try to click on hyperlinks on a piece of paper.

DiamondMac
Sep 25, 2007, 10:49 AM
I will be one of the first to buy this as a student.

I tried iWork and really, really hated it. I gave it a try too for a little while.

I guess I am just hooked on Office and the way I get around with it.

MattyCurry
Sep 25, 2007, 10:50 AM
No publisher? But I need Publisher!

to be honest, I think in the next version of Office, Publisher might go the way of frontpage. The only reason I ever have to use Publisher over Word is when I want to merge with dynamic images, which Word complains about, a bit.

Philsy
Sep 25, 2007, 10:50 AM
British English is just as different. It's just different in different ways.

When I was a teaching assistant I told my students that when they go to a US school they can use the default Microsoft Word spellchecker all they want, but any papers that come to me will lose marks for spelling if it's not properly spelled for the country they are studying in.

They f*in' hated me.

I also made them shut off the stupid auto-hyperlink feature because it made their bibliographies unreadable. Why does Microsoft think that URLs in printed documents need to be underlined and blue? It just has to be an inside joke among Microsoft programmers, and they snicker quietly to themselves thinking about the number of people who absent-mindedly try to click on hyperlinks on a piece of paper.

British English a strange term that I'm sure never existed before computers! Still, at least it's not 'English English'

Agreed on hyperlinks - they're a pain.

acslater017
Sep 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
lol touchee

haha i hate these grammar wars as much as anyone...but i think "spelt" IS ok... :)

Le Big Mac
Sep 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
i don't even think it was that hard to get the student edition anyway. maybe you've got a kid or something. or maybe you could just order it online no questions asked.

but is the removal of exchange support new for the student version? .

I think those two things are related. Too many people who weren't students/teachers were buying that version.

Philsy
Sep 25, 2007, 10:55 AM
haha i hate these grammar wars as much as anyone...but i think "spelt" IS ok... :)

Not sure about elsewhere, but in the UK it's OK to spell it either way. I guess we're spoilt (or spoiled) :)

ChrisA
Sep 25, 2007, 11:04 AM
"Buyers of Office 2004 from here on out will be eligible for an upgrade to Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling."

That's one thing Microsoft typically does beter than Apple. One they anounce a new product and set a date and feature set they offer these free upgrades. They are smart. If they didn't make this offer no one would by Office now, everyone would wait. With the offer MS makes more money (or at least avoids having months of near zero sales) and customers are happy.

I bet Apple is not selling many copies of Tiger right now except for the free copies that come with new computers. In fact I'd bet hardware sales are depressed as people wait for Leopard. But if they offered a free Leopard upgrade they be selling.

What they both should do is offer to sell you software with a 90 or 120 day free upgrade offer so if anything comes out during that time you are covered. Without this no one buys during the last few moths of an older version.

macFanDave
Sep 25, 2007, 11:04 AM
Version Notable Features Price

iWork Microsoft-free! (Thank God Almighty) $79 (already got it.)

Now I've got to learn where iWork docs and Word docs are truly compatible, so I can go back and forth from the office to home and back.

guzhogi
Sep 25, 2007, 11:12 AM
All versions have been further localized to Danish, Finnish & Norwegian (the "Nordic Pack".)

The "Nordic Pack"? Is M$ aligning themselves w/ the Vikings?

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
Y'know, the whole iWork vs MS Office discussion is just dumb.

I'm a video editor, therefore iMovie is useless to me.

I know some sound engineers. Garageband is a toy to them.

My neighbour is a photographer. iPhoto? pfah.

And do you think you'd catch a web designer using iWeb?

These are all good programs though. I use iPhoto, and I play with Garageband. They're good programs designed to bring basic creative functions to average home users wanting to do average home things with a bit of splash.

iWork is no different. Basic office functions with a bit of Apple pizzazz for the masses. You say you need an office suite with more features and options and footnotes and all that technical stuff? I understand, I need to edit video with Avid or Final Cut Pro, because iMovie makes me pull my hair out. You say iWork has all you need? I understand that too, I have friends and relatives who can use iMovie to create exactly what they want to create.

There are different types of users, and different software to meet their needs.

I thought spelt was a hardy European wheat (http://www.google.ca/search?q=spelt&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)...?

JPark
Sep 25, 2007, 11:18 AM
anyone who thinks iWork is better than Office is either a fool or a fanboy.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.:p

hayesk
Sep 25, 2007, 11:24 AM
Holy frick. M$ (yes, emphasis on the $) is charging an extra $250 just for Exchange and to be able to use Automator, something you already have?! What, $60 billion isn't enough for you, Bill? :mad:

No, they're charging $250 for Exchange, Automator and a license to use it in a for-profit business. The Home/Student edition is not legally able to be used in a business.

Quillz
Sep 25, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hmm. $80 versus $150. I think the choice is pretty obvious for most people.
It sure is. $150 for Office '08 is the way to go. Not only do you get a better product, but you get what, better or worse, is the industry standard. Sorry, but iWork '08 is a joke compared to Office.

andiwm2003
Sep 25, 2007, 11:25 AM

well, 149 bucks for Excel and the world standard presentation and wordprocessing software is actually quite cheap. i agree with syklee that excel alone is worth 149 bucks. and word and powerpoint is good to have to open documents that people send you.

i most likely buy iwork first and then i see how long i can get buy with my old office under rosetta. maybe eventually i'll buy the new office if i find that excel is too slow under rosetta.

if apple would just bring back macwrite pro and a real spreadsheet program and put them into iwork. but real productivity software is always steves stepchild.

El Capitano
Sep 25, 2007, 11:29 AM
There are different types of users, and different software to meet their needs.

Indeed.

I'm a professional journalist, so I do all my word-processing in... TextEdit. No kidding. :)

Though I too would kill for the return of MacWrite Pro.

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
The "Nordic Pack"? Is M$ aligning themselves w/ the Vikings?

No, Ikea. The Zune 2 will be renamed Brun Onyttig. It will sync seamlessly with Vjista.

Darkroom
Sep 25, 2007, 11:35 AM
hummm.... let's review:

NeoOffice = $0
iWork '08 = $79
Microsoft Office '08 = $150 — $500

need i say more?

SakeBalboa
Sep 25, 2007, 11:35 AM
if they say there's a technology guarantee in a blog or announcement. but there isn't anything about it yet in their official sites, is it safe to assume that if one buys a copy today they'll be able to upgrade it later and only pay shipping?

JPark
Sep 25, 2007, 11:47 AM
hummm.... let's review:

NeoOffice = $0
iWork '08 = $79
Microsoft Office '08 = $150 $500

need i say more?

Yes, just one more thing:

Excel = Priceless

For me there is no substitute for Excel on Windows. I tried NeoOffice and iWork. I tried Excel on OS X. Finally, I broke down and got Parallels and pulled out an old copy of Windows just so I could run Excel.

jettredmont
Sep 25, 2007, 11:51 AM
has anyone here who's used iWork08 and Office 2007 not feel that iWork's a bit.....Fisher-Price in comparison? Keynote's transitions are the only standout feature.

Since you asked, no, I do not feel that iWork is "Fisher-Price" compared to Office. iWork does feel a whole lot more like a Mac OS X app and less like a warmed-over Classic app, which tends to give me the exact opposite impression.

Are there missing features in iWork? Of course. Is that a problem? Not for me. Your mileage may well vary. Use the tool that's right for you.

ddubbo
Sep 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
This link to Microsoft's site is asking me to download/install Silverlight. While I'm curious to see what their digital media asset management stuff is like, I'm deeply, deeply wary of allowing Silverlight onto my computer or into my browser.

What is it? Will it screw up my mac or my Firefox? Will it make it more unstable? (highly likely if it's a non-office app from MS)

My mac is running pretty well at the moment, and I'd like to keep it that way please.

Who here is running Silverlight?
Me. But on XP. Makes no trouble at all under FireFox. By now see no difference to Flash. May be a bit easier

Glenny2lappies
Sep 25, 2007, 12:12 PM
I wonder if Entourage will support PST files? If not, then it's back to the *only* reliable way of using an Exchange server to migrate PST files.

Twats.

Has the ribbon got bells on it?

The only reason I can see to migrate is to get a universal application.

Bah humbug.

joeconvert
Sep 25, 2007, 12:20 PM
No exchange support in the student edition is going to hurt a lot. If you attend a University that is all Microsoft, and their IT department is either closed-minded, or very paranoid, there will be no exchange support for Apple mail or Entourage. Many college IT departments don't turn on the IMAP switch that will allow Apple mail to connect to it (Apple mail says it supports exchange, but only if IAMP support is turned on).

I don't know of another mail program other than Office X or Office 2004 that supports MS Exchange without IMAP. That will lose a sale to me since I have to have exchange support. Maybe Apple will update mail to allow for non-IMAP enabled exchange servers. Otherwise I'll have to stick with Entourage 2004

Apple Mail generally uses webDAV to access exchange.

Morky
Sep 25, 2007, 12:21 PM
I can't believe Apple let MS beat them to the punch on digital asset management (Expression Media). Apple or Adobe should own this area, but Microsoft is first out of the gate. Dumb on both Apple's and Adobe's part - it's a way to get into the data center.

happydude
Sep 25, 2007, 12:22 PM
man is M$ out of touch or what. $400 for the standard edition. iwork '08 with numbers puts that to shame. the average user should stick with iwork and if you have to send a document or spreadsheet to someone just export it into word or excel. easy as pie. save the $300 and buy an iphone.

or, openoffice, neo office, whathave you. there is NO NEED to buy office 2008. nothing mircosoft will infect my computer. yes, i'm an apple snob.

TurboSC
Sep 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
Sounds like an interesting deal, my school has always had pretty nice deals with software, so this isn't really anything new to me.. and plus our software deals consist of the actual programs, not the student editions... same price too.

JourneyEd I think the site is called? Still a great deal and a nice gesture from Micro$oft.

AdeFowler
Sep 25, 2007, 12:35 PM
Well I have to have it so I'll buy the home edition when I get my new MBP in January. I wonder how much it'll be in the UK.

psychometry
Sep 25, 2007, 12:37 PM

**** microsoft
Gross. Your University needs an IT infrastructure.

Kenn Marks
Sep 25, 2007, 12:40 PM

Think I'll just stick with AppleWorks, the Ed edition loads on both Mac and Windows. Office is just too much BLOATware. I'm willing to bet that 95% of the users of Office don't ever touch 50% of it's features, so who are they putting all the features into the software for anyway. I think Word is made for those writing a Thesis or working on a manuscript for their latest Novel.

MacsAttack
Sep 25, 2007, 12:44 PM

No.

iWork08 does everything I need. It does everything my family needs. It does everything my friends (all the ones who bought Macs after getting to play with mine) need.

Any you just know that here the price will be a minimum of 150. For one machine. For half of that I was able to get the iWorks family pack - that covers 5 machines.

Buy buy Micro$oft. I'm not going to miss you! :p

MacsAttack
Sep 25, 2007, 12:47 PM
No, they're charging $250 for Exchange, Automator and a license to use it in a for-profit business. The Home/Student edition is not legally able to be used in a business.

Oh. Right. So I'll need to spend at least 800 then as I do "for profit" work... Hmmm... or just stick iWorks for less than a tenth of that.

Hard choice.

offwidafairies
Sep 25, 2007, 12:53 PM

me too :D

and what is exchange??

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 12:55 PM
Think I'll just stick with AppleWorks, the Ed edition loads on both Mac and Windows. ... I think Word is made for those writing a Thesis or working on a manuscript for their latest Novel.

You're right, I have a friend who IS writing a thesis, and needs the footnoting abilities of word. That alone renders iWork unusable for him.

I agree with you on Appleworks, I liked that too for awhile... at least until I needed to work on a thesis... :)

notjustjay
Sep 25, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think Word is made for those writing a Thesis or working on a manuscript for their latest Novel.

Been there, done that. I ditched Word. Why? Because... it kept crashing and losing work on my valuable thesis. Switched to LaTeX. A bit of a learning curve (boy, did I feel geeky "compiling" my thesis) but it made managing the work SO much easier. I could completely focus on my content, one chapter at a time, and it took care of all the formatting for me. Especially the math stuff (equations etc).

LaTeX, like Word, like iWork, like anything, is not for everyone. You pick the tool which works best for you.

In my case, I don't live in a bubble. So for stuff I do where I only have to produce printed copy or present the final result, I'll use Pages, Keynote, AppleWorks, whatever gets the job done. But when I'm expected to produce files to share with others, or files that need to be archived, I use Office.

saxman
Sep 25, 2007, 12:59 PM
Apple Mail generally uses webDAV to access exchange.

That may be correct. I thought it was IMAP... same as with the iPhone but no matter - I still can't use Apple's Mail with my university's exchange server. Guess it's a webDAV switch they need to throw. Oh well

Kenn Marks
Sep 25, 2007, 01:02 PM
Quit bitching people.
Nothing to see here, move along.
Prices mirror those of the PC counterparts, I don't see why everyone is complaining. The full version of Office 2007 Pro on the PC is $500, granted you get a ton of apps, but the core (Word/Excel/Outlook/Powerpoint) is all you really use anyway (although I wouldn't mind Access:Mac). We're not getting ripped off, it's an expensive Office suite. And it'll be so nice to get rid of the last PowerPC programs I have on my computer, all from Office:2004.
Although I agree that no Automator support and no Exchange support in the Home/Student editions is ******.

Access - are you nuts!!! For a home database Appleworks does a great job if you want a professional version get a copy of FileMaker Pro a good majority of Web databases are in Filemaker or SQL so why use Access. As with all Apple designed aps user interface and intuitive design the is keyword.

saxman
Sep 25, 2007, 01:05 PM
Yes, just one more thing:

Excel = Priceless

For me there is no substitute for Excel on Windows. I tried NeoOffice and iWork. I tried Excel on OS X. Finally, I broke down and got Parallels and pulled out an old copy of Windows just so I could run Excel.

This is true. For people who just use a spreadsheet to manage home inventory or for lists, any spreadsheet will do. However if you are going to be doing heavy duty number crunching with custom scripts and if/then/else statements, Excel is by far the best application for it. Now that VB is going away in the mac version, the windows version is king. There really is no substitute

MacsAttack
Sep 25, 2007, 01:05 PM
But when I'm expected to produce files to share with others, or files that need to be archived, I use Office.

Been there. Done that. Pages export works just fine. The layout folks have not reported any problems over the last year . :D

JPark
Sep 25, 2007, 01:07 PM
You're right, I have a friend who IS writing a thesis, and needs the footnoting abilities of word. That alone renders iWork unusable for him.

I finished my thesis a few months ago. I initially started it in Word but quickly got frustrated with its tables/figures/footnotes/bibliography. I ended up using LaTex (through TexShop). If your friend's school has LaTex thesis format templates available, I highly recommend giving it a try. (Plus it's free.)

JPark
Sep 25, 2007, 01:08 PM
Been there, done that. I ditched Word. Why? Because... it kept crashing and losing work on my valuable thesis. Switched to LaTeX. A bit of a learning curve (boy, did I feel geeky "compiling" my thesis) but it made managing the work SO much easier. I could completely focus on my content, one chapter at a time, and it took care of all the formatting for me. Especially the math stuff (equations etc).

LaTeX, like Word, like iWork, like anything, is not for everyone. You pick the tool which works best for you.

In my case, I don't live in a bubble. So for stuff I do where I only have to produce printed copy or present the final result, I'll use Pages, Keynote, AppleWorks, whatever gets the job done. But when I'm expected to produce files to share with others, or files that need to be archived, I use Office.

You beat me too it, but let me second that recommendation.

Ravel
Sep 25, 2007, 01:13 PM
Given how bad the new Office for Windows has turned out, I'm gonna pass. rly.

Roadstar
Sep 25, 2007, 01:19 PM
There certainly should be swedish too. Sweden has the biggest population of the nordic countries, so it wouldn't make sense to exclude swedish. Especially when swedish is so similar to danish and norwegian and Finland is bilingual.

Swedish is not mentioned because it's not a new language in Office 2008. Office 2004 (and maybe earlier ones as well, dunno) already comes with Swedish localization included (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/download/office2004/office2004.xml&secid=4&ssid=1&flgnosysreq=True), and they're apparently not going to drop it at this point.

tom.96
Sep 25, 2007, 01:23 PM
I use MS Office at work a lot and it is a very good package - but when I get home I use OpenOffice through X11. It serves me very well and files have always transferred ok between the two platforms.

Office is good but would be simply too expensive for me!

deadkenny
Sep 25, 2007, 01:32 PM
Localised to Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. So there will be only four language versions: American English, Dansk, Norsk and Svenska? No German, Francaise, Italiano not to talk about Japanese, Chinese etc.
Microsoft: We suck and if you ain't believe it we'll prove it.

I've heared that Steve Ballmer sais his own kids are stupid like all kids but in one thing he has washed their minds: You don't use Google and you don't use an iPod.

I would love to see his kids come into their puberty shouting at their dad: You know what's important to us? It's iPods, iPods, iPods, iPods.
Or maybe they'll "C'mon dad ALL my friends have a Wii and all I got is this lousy XBox."

jettredmont
Sep 25, 2007, 01:36 PM
I think Word is made for those writing a Thesis or working on a manuscript for their latest Novel.

Hmm. Actually, on both counts Word is a second-class choice next to specially-purposed alternatives.

For instance, writing a thesis is generally (depending on the discipline of course) better handled by something like TEX (BibTex or LaTex). Writing a manuscript is far better done in Scrivener or Ulysses.

Generally speaking, Word is a multi-function tool that does a million different jobs, and at least a thousand of them passably well. But, if you need tweezers, you don't pack a swiss army knife just because it has tweezers that slip in the side. Everything else just gets in the way.

Word is not for "serious" writing - by which I mean writing which is going to be reshaped and remolded prior to printing. It is for super-light desktop publishing. This is a massive industry, of course, and Microsoft will sell several orders of magnitude more copies of Word than will ever sell of, say, Scrivener. But if I were writing a novel, I know I'd not choose Word to do it (or, for that matter, Pages or OOo's word processing module).

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 01:37 PM
I use MS Office at work a lot and it is a very good package - but when I get home I use OpenOffice through X11. It serves me very well and files have always transferred ok between the two platforms.

Office is good but would be simply too expensive for me!

You should try NeoOffice, it's actually OpenOffice but someone has taken the trouble to port it to Cocoa (or some such technolanguage, I don't know) so that it plays nicer with Mac OSX. It's basically OpenOffice with Mac Sensibilities, and no mucking around with X11, and no mucking around with that weird Windows95-esque save dialog.

Failing that, I'm finding Google Docs and Spreadsheets to be pretty good. Well, so far I've only used the spreadsheet to make a MBP vs MB vs iMac feature/price comparison. But hey, it worked.

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 01:40 PM
I use MS Office at work a lot and it is a very good package - but when I get home I use OpenOffice through X11.

Maybe you know about it and don't want it for some reason, but NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/maindownload.php) is an Aqua (read: No X11) port of Open Office :)

hayesk
Sep 25, 2007, 01:41 PM
Oh. Right. So I'll need to spend at least 800 then as I do "for profit" work... Hmmm... or just stick iWorks for less than a tenth of that.

Hard choice.

If iWork meets your needs, then you should absolutely use it.

But if you are deciding on price alone, then you are doing yourself a disservice. Office may have a feature that saves you hours of time. If so, Office, even at 800 will quickly pay for itself. Spend money to make money.

Maybe you have already made that evaluation, I don't know. Your post implied that price alone was reason not to use the product.

SiliconAddict
Sep 25, 2007, 01:41 PM
Thank god for virtualization. Cost: $50ish buck vs a new copy of office. I already own office 2003\Visio\Project which is by far good enough.

Don't panic
Sep 25, 2007, 01:44 PM
So what functionality am I missing out on using X rather than the newer 2004? X has done everything I have ever thrown at it and more with not a single problem. I really wish the 'document view' was on the main tool bar and not buried under a menu. Other than that, it is great. Having to not verify it or use a key is quite nice as well. I hear only great things about iWork and wouldn't mind using it over having to emulate X on a Intel machine if I ever give up on my Powerbook.

you can costumize the bars, so just put it there.

is there anywhere a feature comparison of X vs 2004 vs 2007?

jettredmont
Sep 25, 2007, 01:44 PM

If you really want geek thesis-writing cred:

Write your thesis in LaTeX
Check it in to CVS (or Subversion) to give revision diffs

Beats the pants off Word's "version" and "track changes" features!

In any case, Word's crash-pronedness drove me away from using it for my thesis way back in 1995. All it takes is one hour's work in Equation Editor to go up in a puff of smoke to convince you that Word is not the right choice there. Of course, at the time a Word document could stably hold no more than one equation or picture at a time (add a second object and it would start doing weird things and was likely to corrupt the document file), and the only way around Word's shortcomings were to chain multiple separate Word documents together (one per sub-chapter) and try not to use those silly equations. I imagine Microsoft's improved embedded-object stability by now, but I have had it crash often enough in recent history to not trust it.

VaDor
Sep 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
I don't care about the price... I will use torrents shop where m$ office is cheap :D

Roadstar
Sep 25, 2007, 01:52 PM
Localised to Danish, Norwegian and Swedish. So there will be only four language versions: American English, Dansk, Norsk and Svenska? No German, Francaise, Italiano not to talk about Japanese, Chinese etc.
Microsoft: We suck and if you ain't believe it we'll prove it.

Sigh.

All versions have been further localized to Danish, Finnish & Norwegian (the "Nordic Pack".) (emphasis mine)

They're just offering the three new languages in addition to the ones they've had this far.

imikem
Sep 25, 2007, 02:10 PM
I use NeoOffice frequently. MS Office would have to regress to near 6.0 status for your statement to be true. MS have plenty of faults, but a blanket statement like this makes you look like a blind fanboi.

Of course, for a free software suite, Neo is infinitely better.

Rubbish, Neo-Office is 5X better,

johncallen
Sep 25, 2007, 02:11 PM
NeoOffice works for me. Besides who wants to infect their Mac with MS software anyway?

daveporter
Sep 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
Of course you can save in previous formats. Use your brain man.

You need to use your brain man...read the post.

What I was talking about was the ability to set the old file formate as the default file format so that I would not have to "save as" or "export" my documents just to have them in the old file format.

Dave

BTW
Sep 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
I don't know why it is, but I just cannot get excited about Office 2008. Now, if they had a Halo 3 version then I'd jump out of my seat. ;)

rashdown_online
Sep 25, 2007, 02:19 PM

Totally.

I was using Office 2004 for my MBA dissertation, and then with 4 weeks to hand in, I got hold of iWork08; realised how much easier it was to use for my needs and converted the whole document including sheets & graphs and graphics, etc.

A bit risky with a 17k word paper (+ appendix of 200 pages) with 4 weeks to go, but it flew through the document, changes were quick, layouts so much better, adn the document file size dropped BIG time to just over 1.5Mb!

Only bad thing about Pages was no Endnote support. but I took the refs, put them in Numbers and sorted them that way. Worked a treat. iWork08 is very very good. (shame no external data source links, but hey...)

daveporter
Sep 25, 2007, 02:26 PM
Totally.

I was using Office 2004 for my MBA dissertation, and then with 4 weeks to hand in, I got hold of iWork08; realised how much easier it was to use for my needs and converted the whole document including sheets & graphs and graphics, etc.

A bit risky with a 17k word paper (+ appendix of 200 pages) with 4 weeks to go, but it flew through the document, changes were quick, layouts so much better, adn the document file size dropped BIG time to just over 1.5Mb!

Only bad thing about Pages was no Endnote support. but I took the refs, put them in Numbers and sorted them that way. Worked a treat. iWork08 is very very good. (shame no external data source links, but hey...)

That is a great post and a great testament to Pages.

Did you have charts that required statistical analysis features that were part of your dissertation paper? If so, how did you create them since Numbers does not support error bars, linear regression plots, etc.? Did you use another program to prepare the plots and then import them into Pages? If so, how well did them import?

Thanks for any info you wish to share.

Dave

notjustjay
Sep 25, 2007, 02:34 PM
Been there. Done that. Pages export works just fine. The layout folks have not reported any problems over the last year . :D

You've got better luck than I do, then. Whenever I try to export something from iWork into Office, what I get is a document that is, best case, "something doesn't quite look right" or worst case, it doesn't work at all. Sometimes it causes strange things to happen with frames or anchors or whatever, so the converted version is essentially read-only -- change it, and all goes to hell.

I made a nice presentation in Keynote and exported it to PowerPoint, and was horrified. It looked "almost right" but my beautiful transitions became a cheezy mess, the graphics were dithered and lost some of their anti-aliasing effects, and the PowerPoint file was huge because every instance of a graphic seemeded to be converted into a separate bitmap. It was an embarrassment to hand that out. Everyone else said "Eh, good enough" but I lost a lot of pride of ownership -- call me arrogant but I like to think that I can produce work that's a notch better than average (seems to me that's the whole point of Apple products), and this conversion turned it back to average.

I also worry about future compatibility. For an organization I volunteer with, we keep having to reinvent the wheel because previous editions were done in software that's not available to the person currently taking on the task. (We're all volunteers, and sometimes the guy with the great software can't do it this year, so another guy takes on the task but has to make do with what he's got.) Some documents have moved from WordPerfect to Word to MS Publisher to Visio to Pages to AppleWorks and back to Word again as a result, and each time the person has to start from scratch.

I continue to seek out a Windows PC with Publisher to update our yearly forms because I don't relish the work of redoing all the layout in another program (it's just easier to find a PC with Publisher, change '2007' to '2008', save, print, and be done). I don't want to similarly enslave someone else by, say, using Pages to make a slick document, but then force them to seek out a Mac with Pages every time it needs to be updated, or -- worse, in my view -- converting it to a sub-par Word version. Might as well just use Word in the first place and make it look nice to start with, and propagate that.

But, again, everyone works differently.

julianps
Sep 25, 2007, 02:42 PM
.. in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Eh?

Okay; in the kingdom of "real work" Office is an essential (a bit like water-cooler gossip and coffee, really) but that is, as all neoffice / openoffice / ge:eek:ffice / myoffice / youroffice / iworkoffice junkies know, only in the world or "real work".

Great that it's now universal, great that it's up to date, great that it comes with functions that excite (can I wangle student pricing?) and annoy (but I'm a student yet need exchange support at college) in equal measure. In-a-nut-shell; long on marketing, short on reasons to buy.

And please (please, please, please; don't ya just lurve dowz buttoms?) ignore Expression Media - MS has totally crudded iVMP and all long-term users are trawling da'web for alternatives.

Keep saying to yourself "but I only really use Entourage and now that there's Action Tracker 1.13 and Leopard [Mail|iCal|Address Book] or Daylite Productivity Suite 3.5 I can't actually remember why".

4 years between upgrades?

No competitors?

Yeah, right....;-))

grappler
Sep 25, 2007, 03:12 PM
meh. Why pay anything at all for an office package? You can get openoffice or staroffice for free these days. And you can use Google Docs and Spreadsheets or other similar tools online.

I don't even use any of the above, but if for some reason I needed to do an office app type task, I sure as hell am not paying actual money for the software to do it.

If more people thought this way, Microsoft would have a serious problem on their hands...

-hh
Sep 25, 2007, 03:22 PM
"Buyers of Office 2004 from here on out will be eligible for an upgrade to Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling."

That's one thing Microsoft typically does better than Apple.

Apple does do this with hardware sales just before OS releases, but the problem is that they usually do it "too late" and "too quietly" - - it usually is around only 30 days in advance and then its never a clearly made announcement.

What they both should do is offer to sell you software with a 90 or 120 day free upgrade offer so if anything comes out during that time you are covered. Without this no one buys during the last few moths of an older version.

Exactly right, and this should be a clearly announced Apple policy that applies universally, not a piecemeal 11th hour quiet footnote.

Case in point: Leopard is now (a lot) less than 60 days out, yet there's no 'free upgrade' policy that's been announced.

(shifting gears)

... Excel is by far the best application for it. Now that VB is going away in the mac version, the windows version is king. There really is no substitute

The selective elimination of VB from just the Mac variant is simply another example of how Microsoft strategically hamstrings the Mac OS to prevent it from getting a foothold in the corporate environment. MS-Access is the prioer example.

-hh

ppnkg
Sep 25, 2007, 03:28 PM
great, this is something I won't be buying - and certainly not if apple make those small necessary improvements to iwork. I really enjoy my msoffice-free life at the moment.

BWhaler
Sep 25, 2007, 03:37 PM
It's odd, and I certainly am no Microsoft hater--which would be hard to do nowadays anyhow with Apple spitting out flawed products and horrific big company decisions--but I find this release of Office a milestone.

The reason why it is a milestone is because there is a 50/50 chance it may be the first time since I have owned a computer, which is sad and scary long time, that I will not have Microsoft software on it.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing. If I had to guess, this may be the last version I buy because Numbers is just not there yet. Numbers is great, but it is really a 1.0 product, another revision or two (hopefully one iteration, and I'll dump Excel.)

iWork 08 is a fantastic product, and I hope Apple sells a ton of them so they invest even more into the product.

I think competition is good, and I want Microsoft to stick on the Apple platform pushing out great products.

But in a few months, I may find myself without any Microsoft products. Wow...

paulbaker
Sep 25, 2007, 04:53 PM
I have this notion that this is the last development attempt from the land of Redmond (after this thats it).

Does anyone know if that is true or not?

DakotaGuy
Sep 25, 2007, 05:01 PM
Correct; they're dropping the silly pretense of the specially priced student and teacher edition. That's why it's called "Home and Student" instead of "Student and Teacher"...

Not sure what to do, personally...$149 is a lot for something that doesn't strike me as a total necessity with all the choices we have.

Scrivener + iWork might be enough for me...

Actually $149 is a pretty good deal when you consider it comes with 3 licenses. I believe that iWork is $79 for only 1 license.

tehdee
Sep 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
It's odd, and I certainly am no Microsoft hater--which would be hard to do nowadays anyhow with Apple spitting out flawed products and horrific big company decisions--but I find this release of Office a milestone.

The reason why it is a milestone is because there is a 50/50 chance it may be the first time since I have owned a computer, which is sad and scary long time, that I will not have Microsoft software on it.

I'm not saying it's a sure thing. If I had to guess, this may be the last version I buy because Numbers is just not there yet. Numbers is great, but it is really a 1.0 product, another revision or two (hopefully one iteration, and I'll dump Excel.)

iWork 08 is a fantastic product, and I hope Apple sells a ton of them so they invest even more into the product.

I think competition is good, and I want Microsoft to stick on the Apple platform pushing out great products.

But in a few months, I may find myself without any Microsoft products. Wow...

msn messenger?

rdrr
Sep 25, 2007, 05:05 PM
This is true. For people who just use a spreadsheet to manage home inventory or for lists, any spreadsheet will do. However if you are going to be doing heavy duty number crunching with custom scripts and if/then/else statements, Excel is by far the best application for it. Now that VB is going away in the mac version, the windows version is king. There really is no substitute

Hopefully this version will be able to math better than Excel 2007! :)

http://it.slashdot.org/it/07/09/24/2339203.shtml

weckart
Sep 25, 2007, 05:24 PM
Maybe you know about it and don't want it for some reason, but NeoOffice (http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/maindownload.php) is an Aqua (read: No X11) port of Open Office :)

You lose X11, you gain quite a bit of Java. It is still slow, although not too shabby looking, particularly compared with the official port. Most of all though, it is too unstable for serious work. I tried opening a ginormous, but straightforward spreadsheet in Calc today. No VBA or other nasties like embedded comments or audit links activated. Calc died inelegantly. Three times. Excel 2004 handled said spreadsheet with alacrity. This on a machine with 4GB of memory and no other apps running at the time. NeoOffice has no excuses.

To all the others bleating about the lack of Exchange support with the cheapie edition, take a gander at the Windows Student and Home release. Notice something there? Like no Outlook whatsoever? That should have given you a really big clue.

The selective elimination of VB from just the Mac variant is simply another example of how Microsoft strategically hamstrings the Mac OS to prevent it from getting a foothold in the corporate environment. MS-Access is the prioer example.
-hh

A tad unfair. Nadyne from the MBU was here and said the actual reason was that porting VBA from PPC to Intel was trickier than was anticipated. The decision was made to drop it rather than delay the Intel port still further. Let's hope it reemerges in a later update, as Microsoft is big on backwards compatibility.

segfaultdotorg
Sep 25, 2007, 07:05 PM
Will the "Home and Student Edition" include the stupid banner at the top that says "Non-commercial Use Only" like the new Windows version of Office does?

RedTomato
Sep 25, 2007, 07:11 PM
I'm willing to bet that 95% of the users of Office don't ever touch 50% of it's features, so who are they putting all the features into the software for anyway. I think Word is made for those writing a Thesis or working on a manuscript for their latest Novel.

No it's not. It's pretty well known that Word chokes on large manuscripts. Try writing a 1000 page book on it, with chapter headings, notes, etc, and it just chokes. I don't mean just finding a 1000 page document on the net and seeing if it loads - I mean actually creating a large complex document from scratch.

Word chokes on all the cruft it adds on, the different version histories it keeps track of as you make changes, and god knows what else.

Mr. Dee
Sep 25, 2007, 07:51 PM
Macrumors forum policies are on the brink of dictatorship. Simply because I defended Bill Gates charitable contributions and Microsoft's market competitiveness, my post gets deleted for it. Talk about double standard over here. To the mod who did it, you are a definition of stupid, idiot of the 21st century and I hope the next time you log into your Mac it explodes in your face! :mad:

pimentoLoaf
Sep 25, 2007, 08:36 PM
I still have Entourage v.X :eek: ... can I upgrade from that?

pimentoLoaf
Sep 25, 2007, 08:44 PM
... if apple would just bring back macwrite pro ....

:D :apple: I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish :apple: :D

SakeBalboa
Sep 25, 2007, 09:05 PM
here's the technology guarantee site to get the 2008 upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/go/promotions/

kcroy
Sep 25, 2007, 10:27 PM
I know I will end up purchasing it. (I'm an educator.) I do like iWork though. Keynote is clearly superior and pages is growing on me. I still like excel, but Numbers is becoming pretty cool.

Time will tell. I find myself clicking the iWork icons more and more to create, but so many attachments open with Microsoft.

Hmmmmm.;)

AJ Muni
Sep 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
Thank god for private tracker sites...:p

Roadstar
Sep 26, 2007, 12:29 AM
Actually $149 is a pretty good deal when you consider it comes with 3 licenses. I believe that iWork is $79 for only 1 license.

The $79 iWork package has only 1 license indeed, but if you throw in $20 more, you'll get a 5-license family pack. However, on a general Microsoft scale the $149 package isn't bad at all.

bloodycape
Sep 26, 2007, 02:01 AM
Are there missing features in iWork? Of course. Is that a problem? Not for me. Your mileage may well vary. Use the tool that's right for you.

Grammar and usage checking in Pages for one thing. The ability to adapt your paper to what ever format the teach requires you have it in(i.e. MLA, Chicago, etc).

koobcamuk
Sep 26, 2007, 02:06 AM
Macrumors forum policies are on the brink of dictatorship. Simply because I defended Bill Gates charitable contributions and Microsoft's market competitiveness, my post gets deleted for it. Talk about double standard over here. To the mod who did it, you are a definition of stupid, idiot of the 21st century and I hope the next time you log into your Mac it explodes in your face! :mad:

Nicely said if this is true.

No it's not. It's pretty well known that Word chokes on large manuscripts. Try writing a 1000 page book on it, with chapter headings, notes, etc, and it just chokes. I don't mean just finding a 1000 page document on the net and seeing if it loads - I mean actually creating a large complex document from scratch.

Word chokes on all the cruft it adds on, the different version histories it keeps track of as you make changes, and god knows what else.

I just wrote a 60 page 1 st year report, on my MacBook and it [word] started to struggle. It isn't a universal binary, but I have to use it so I can use the 'comments' feature between my supervisor and I. Without that, my work might take longer...

Chupa Chupa
Sep 26, 2007, 10:28 AM
I still have Entourage v.X :eek: ... can I upgrade from that?

Yes. Just buy the Office 2004 upgrade now and then you qualify for a free copy Office 2008 (+$10 shipping). But you have to do this by March '08 or you WILL have to pay full boat.

pgwalsh
Sep 26, 2007, 10:59 AM
Totally.

Only bad thing about Pages was no Endnote support. but I took the refs, put them in Numbers and sorted them that way. Worked a treat. iWork08 is very very good. (shame no external data source links, but hey...) No end notes was a problem for me. I also couldn't link tables and graphs from numbers, which eliminated dynamic updating. I have way too many of each to copy and paste and since this is a living document, it doesn't suit my needs.

Numbers chokes something fierce on large spreadsheets with lots of forumla's. It didn't have a problem importing them, but couldn't keep up with changes. I'll keep my eye on it, but for now I'll stick with Office 2004.

jettredmont
Sep 26, 2007, 11:03 AM
Grammar and usage checking in Pages for one thing. The ability to adapt your paper to what ever format the teach requires you have it in(i.e. MLA, Chicago, etc).

As I said, use the tool that's right for you. Grammar checking is the first thing I turn off in Word because:

1. It is often wrong (esp with "which" vs "that")
2. It often misses what mistakes I do make
3. When I use incorrect grammar that it "catches" it is almost always intentional
4. The green squigglies scattered across my page are annoying and distract me from reading and judging fluidity of phrasing, which is a more reliable test for grammar than Word's green squigglies.

I can't remember the last time Word's green squigglies alerted me to a real, unintentional grammar error.

This is in direct opposition to spell-check, which is almost always right (or, at least, a large enough percentage of the time for me to take a moment to consider it every time I see it, and which is supremely adaptable (it's far easier to add a word to a dictionary than to add a grammar rule or exception to the grammar checker).

That having been said, I believe Pages now has a grammar checker (not as-you-type, but something to run like we used to run spell checks).

On adapting to a stylesheet: Pages seems to do just fine with styles, for me. The one thing it won't do is take a pre-written/pre-styled paper, "import" a bunch of styles, and change all the existing styles to match the imported styles. Word does this well, so you can just change the underlying template for a paper and all the styles will change accordingly. In Pages doing a wholesale style changeover is about a five minute procedure instead of a five second procedure (I believe the only way to do this is that you copy text with the wanted style into your document, then redefine the style using that, for each copied style). If you do it often enough for that five minutes to matter, use the tool that makes it faster. Of course, it is possible that Pages has a way to do this which I haven't run across simply because I've never had to do this :)

MarkCollette
Sep 26, 2007, 12:19 PM
I think when I buy my new iMac, I'll also get the Home edition of MS Office for it. At that price it's good to have at least one copy of the real deal. But I'll keep using Office X and NeoOffice on my other Macs.

notjustjay
Sep 26, 2007, 02:01 PM
My plan is to wait and see what all this "ribbon" hooey is all about.

Office 2004 works for now.

Eidorian
Sep 26, 2007, 02:03 PM
My plan is to wait and see what all this "ribbon" hooey is all about.

Office 2004 works for now.Use Office 2007 or take a class on it. :rolleyes:

I'm a rather seasoned user of Office 2003 and I just love the ribbon.

slessard
Sep 26, 2007, 04:59 PM
Microsoft is careful to say that the Office for the Mac doesn't have a ribbon like the Windows version does. But it does have something ribbon-like. I hate the Window's Office ribbon because I can't figure out how to use the features that aren't on the ribbon and the menus are now gone. But that's Windows Office, not Mac Office.

Mac Office's new toolbars are a great improvement over previous Mac versions and way better than the ribbon in the Windows version. And the menus still exist on the Mac version.

What is Exchange? Exchange is, at its most basic, an email server for corporate and enterprise use. (It does way more than just email.) You may be more familiar with the name Outlook. For the purposes of this thread you can substitute the name Outlook for Exchange. Entourage is the Mac analog of Outlook. (Its an analog, not an equivalent. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses.)

Communicator is the name of the Windows client for Microsoft's corporate instant messaging server. (The server is called Office Communications Server.) Mac Messenger is the name of the Mac client for this server.

I see that someone else finally addressed this, but I'll state it again. Office 2007 Home and Student for Windows also does not include Outlook (AKA Exchange support.) Look at this link to see what it does have. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX101674081033.aspx The real difference between Home and Student on the two platforms is that the Windows version includes One Note. Otherwise the two packages contain the same programs.

Yes, Office 2008 for the Mac can save in .DOC format as well as the new .DOCX format.

Yes, Entourage is greatly improved, but I'm sure there will still be some nay-sayers. Remember that the guys at Microsoft who are writing Entourage have to use it to get their email while at work. They know all of your pain points.

Expression Media is not a consumer application. Its a Digital Asset Management application that was first written on the Mac. Its very powerful yet has a simple UI.

I have used Silverlight on my Mac. I have not had any problems, but then again there isn't a whole lot of Silverlight content out there.

And finally, the new version of Mac Office will not touch the VBA macros in your existing documents, nor in documents you receive from Windows users. The new Mac Office will simply ignore them.

kellygeorge
Sep 26, 2007, 08:19 PM
do they really think people are ok with paying $400-$500 for microsoft office? its not the 1990's anymore. there are plenty of other good office products that read and write .doc files. they must be trying to offset the losses they will most definatly experience due to piracy.

Eidorian
Sep 26, 2007, 08:21 PM
do they really think people are ok with paying $400-$500 for microsoft office? its not the 1990's anymore. there are plenty of other good office products that read and write .doc files. they must be trying to offset the losses they will most definatly experience due to piracy.$149 for Home & Student with 3-licenses.

Not to mention university pricing as well. Office 2004 for $12 x masses of college students.

notjustjay
Sep 26, 2007, 09:36 PM
Use Office 2007 or take a class on it. :rolleyes:

I'm a rather seasoned user of Office 2003 and I just love the ribbon.

Fair enough, I'll give it a good shake, but I don't like having to relearn an interface from scratch unless there's a darned good reason for it. If this is just a ploy to force everyone's hand, then forget it.

-hh
Sep 27, 2007, 12:15 PM
The selective elimination of VB from just the Mac variant is simply another example of how Microsoft strategically hamstrings the Mac OS to prevent it from getting a foothold in the corporate environment. MS-Access is the prior example.

A tad unfair. Nadyne from the MBU was here and said the actual reason was that porting VBA from PPC to Intel was trickier than was anticipated. The decision was made to drop it rather than delay the Intel port still further. Let's hope it reemerges in a later update, as Microsoft is big on backwards compatibility.

I was unaware as to the claimed reasoning behind why it hasn't happened.
Nor do I know Nadyne from the MBU or how well her intentions may be.

The problem is that they've only had 13 years to try to port MS-Access, but that hasn't happened.

As such, I am nevertheless obigated to be of the firm opinon that VB on the Mac is utterly "gone for good". Given the past history, not even a written-in-Bill's-blood "money back" Guarentee that VB is going to be restored on a free x.1 release within y months would personally convince me otherwise.

-hh