PDA

View Full Version : Leopard In Release Candidate Cycle, 9A559 Gallery

MacRumors
Sep 25, 2007, 01:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Think Secret has posted a more comprehensive gallery (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0706leopard9a4559gallery.html) of the improvements in the latest Mac OS 10.5 "Leopard" build, seeded to developers last week (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/21/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-9a559/).

With only two known issues remaining, MacRumors sources are indicating that Leopard is in the release candidate stage of development. Release Candidates are typically chosen amongst builds that have no known major issues and little to no known minor issues. If thorough testing does not produce any show-stopping issue, a Gold Master will be declared and production of media and packaging will commence.

Production times for software can take 2-3 weeks, which means Apple has approximately 2 weeks left for testing of release candidates and certification of a gold master. Yesterday, MacScoop said their sources had indicated a final candidate was near (http://macscoop.com/articles/2007/09/24/mac-os-x-leopard-nearing-final-candidate).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/25/leopard-in-release-cantidate-cycle-9a559-gallery/)

Eidorian
Sep 25, 2007, 02:00 PM
I want my Leopard now.

dizastor
Hopefully they'll announce a release date soon.

I can't wait to burn $129 on this.

happydude
can't wait to get leopard on our new 2.8 imac!!!

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 02:01 PM
I can't wait!

BTW
Sep 25, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hopefully they'll announce a release date soon.

I can't wait to burn $129 on this.

I'd bet by this weekend they'll have a GM. :D

crossifixio
Sep 25, 2007, 02:13 PM
Cant wait it looks so good. Let the cat out of the cage :D:apple:

Tampa Tom
Sep 25, 2007, 02:15 PM
Bugs galore will be found, just like with Tiger. A Leopard with fleas for sure!

johnee
Sep 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
this is great since I STILL haven't gotten my macbook pro yet.

think i'll wait till Jan 08 when penryn (sp?) comes out.

if i don't get one then, i'll probably wait for the 16 qbit quantum core to come out of the MIT lab.

Sbrocket
Sep 25, 2007, 02:18 PM

Bugs are always found in software. That's how the development process works. If dev teams focused on getting every single bug fixed before release, can you imagine how slow software technologies would be progressing? It just doesn't work that way; nothing would ever be released. Plus, I'm betting 10.5.1 will be out much earlier than December.

CJD2112
Sep 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
Still missing in build 9A559 are new screen savers that were included in earlier Leopard builds, while ZFS support is still absent from Disk Utility in 9A559. Support for resolution independence, which has rudimentary support in Tiger and had been rumored to be arriving with full support in Leopard, remains no where to be found.

Hmmm, that doesn't make me very happy. As Jobs has been beefing up resolution independence for a long while, not putting into the final release of Leopard is a big disappointment (although I realize it is not the only change Leopard has to offer, there are many huge improvements).

Along with the scrapping of "Fast OS Switching", I'm getting the sense Apple is ditching aspects of Leopard that can't be worked out before the scheduled October release. I'd rather see a slight delay (again) and have those features added, especially as I need Windows Vista quite often to perform AutoCAD work (running Parallels and VMWare doesn't work as AutoCAD needs as much RAM as it can get).

Of note, Front Row has seen a substantial face-lift with 9A559 and along with getting its own icon in the Applications folder, like Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces, the interface now resembles that of AppleTV.

How does this benefit us Mac Pro users who still can't use Front Row due to Apple's lack of IR sensor in the Cinema Display and/or Mac Pro tower?

Some bad news on that. For those on Macrumors that have been keeping up with me on their interest in Front Row and new displays, my friend at Apple wrote me about a few things. First, it appears that Apple has been making an open point in Cupertino to concentrate less on their Pro line. While he said he has been writing code on a new 30" HD Cinema Display that apple has in the works (said it would retail for roughly $2500) that has huge improvements, there will be no IR sensor or built in iSight. Further, he said Apple may scrap the display altogether and mentioned something about tv/monitors as a core product, but those are off by at least a year.

So, it appears Apple will not be revamping the display line any time soon, and if they do it won't address the Mac Pro's inability to use Front Row. :(

Multimedia
Sep 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
Still think they're shooting for this date as the get-in-line-at-the-store event date. Love watching Phil Schiller accompany his son in line to buy a copy at the Palo Alto Apple Store. ;) nk.

InfernoSoul
Sep 25, 2007, 02:20 PM
Woohoo! Go iPhone! What's leopard? Does it increase the functionality of iPhone? /sarcasm

On a more serious note, I think I might be picking up a new Mac Mini with the release of leopard. Unless I hear a rumour that the mini's might see a upgrade again in the near future.

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 02:24 PM
On a more serious note, I think I might be picking up a new Mac Mini with the release of leopard. Unless I hear a rumour that the mini's might see a upgrade again in the near future.

Very unlikely, they just got updated :)

Fabio_gsilva
Sep 25, 2007, 02:25 PM
I don't mindo to be an early adopter of Leopard... with Tiger I don't experienced any bugs to complain about now...

Gold Master Next Tuesday!

InfernoSoul
Sep 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
Very unlikely, they just got updated :)

Yes and a subpar update at that. However if something does come up(highly unlikely) I will hold off. Would be nice if they had a $100 price drop. Are you listening Apple? ;)

/dev/toaster
Sep 25, 2007, 02:30 PM
.Mac still doesn't work in the newest seed. There is also some serious lock issues going on. Randomly the entire machine freezes for up to 5 minutes. This does happen a lot if you are using "fast user switch" to switch accounts.

Its getting really close, but I don't feel its close to gold in the current seed.

pixlnet
Sep 25, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think it'll go gold by the weekend or over the weekend. Not sure what kind of hours the engineers are putting into this thing....

They do builds each day right? Then seed the most stable ones?

niclet
Sep 25, 2007, 02:49 PM
I wonder how it will behave on my PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz?

When I moved from Panther, I notice that Tiger was more responsive and it sped up my system, a great improvement!

But now, with all those System requirements rumors (over than 800MHz etc.), I'm quite skeptical that it will run faster on my PB.

What do you think?

PJF13
Sep 25, 2007, 02:52 PM
With the very clear "space" themed direction Apple has been going I'm surprised they are calling Leopard "Leopard" and not going to a new space themed title for the release. That would really spice things up a bit!

My suggestion: OS X "Galaxy"

:)

ibanana
Sep 25, 2007, 02:59 PM
With the very clear "space" themed direction Apple has been going I'm surprised they are calling Leopard "Leopard" and not going to a new space themed title for the release. That would really spice things up a bit!

My suggestion: OS X "Galaxy"

:)

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

shov
Sep 25, 2007, 03:03 PM
hmm... not really arsed how it looks (i banished the hideous brushed metal look with UNO yonks ago). all i want is to be able to view pdfs in a browser window, so i don't liter my desktop with millions of (scientific) papers.

it's got to the stage where i'll only read papers through parallels to avoid this...

DanB91
Sep 25, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hmmm, that doesn't make me very happy. As Jobs has been beefing up resolution independence for a long while, not putting into the final release of Leopard is a big disappointment (although I realize it is not the only change Leopard has to offer, there are many huge improvements).

Along with the scrapping of "Fast OS Switching", I'm getting the sense Apple is ditching aspects of Leopard that can't be worked out before the scheduled October release. I'd rather see a slight delay (again) and have those features added, especially as I need Windows Vista quite often to perform AutoCAD work (running Parallels and VMWare doesn't work as AutoCAD needs as much RAM as it can get).

How does this benefit us Mac Pro users who still can't use Front Row due to Apple's lack of IR sensor in the Cinema Display and/or Mac Pro tower?

Some bad news on that. For those on Macrumors that have been keeping up with me on their interest in Front Row and new displays, my friend at Apple wrote me about a few things. First, it appears that Apple has been making an open point in Cupertino to concentrate less on their Pro line. While he said he has been writing code on a new 30" HD Cinema Display that apple has in the works (said it would retail for roughly $2500) that has huge improvements, there will be no IR sensor or built in iSight. Further, he said Apple may scrap the display altogether and mentioned something about tv/monitors as a core product, but those are off by at least a year.

So, it appears Apple will not be revamping the display line any time soon, and if they do it won't address the Mac Pro's inability to use Front Row. :(
command + escape activates front row :)
and since front row has its own app now any mac can activate it

Peace
Sep 25, 2007, 03:11 PM
As far as resolution independence is concerned.jobs himself said at the WWDC that he'd like to see all developers using it by early 2008.That in itself should show you when RI is going to be going full steam.

mikesilv
Sep 25, 2007, 03:13 PM
I'm starting to think these mythical features were just BS to cover for the fact that Apple's attention was completely diverted to the iPhone, and nothing special was going to happen with Leopard.

Please, dear god, I hope they finally fix the Finder's SMB client so it can connect to Windows 2k3/Vista boxes without having to turn off packet signing. It's pretty laughable to have to turn off Windows security features, so you can connect to fileshares. Even more assanine to have to pay the cost of the OS to pick up Thursby software's Dave, to connect to these newer Windows boxes properly.

azdude
That icon for "Notes" in "Mail" sure looks a helluva lot like the iPhone's "Notes." I'll be ecstatic if Leopard Mail's Notes/ToDos end up syncing with iPhone 1.2. :)

rikers_mailbox
sweeeeet.

I'll pick up a new Mac Mini once Leopard comes pre-installed. That will be my first intel Mac and a huge speed bump over my 12" PB! I guess I like my computers to be small. :)

lookmark
Sep 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
hmm... not really arsed how it looks (i banished the hideous brushed metal look with UNO yonks ago). all i want is to be able to view pdfs in a browser window, so i don't liter my desktop with millions of (scientific) papers.

it's got to the stage where i'll only read papers through parallels to avoid this...

Safari 3 (available as a free, very polished beta) opens PDF files in a browser window.

There's also this excellent plug-in (http://www.schubert-it.de/pluginpdf/) (free for home or edu use).

Finally there's dedicated apps for scientific PDF management, like the award-winning Papers (http://mekentosj.com/papers/).

Small White Car
Sep 25, 2007, 03:17 PM

Exactly. And with a tower the keyboard's usually right in front of you. I never use the remote with my iMac either. The keyboard's right there!

Really, the laptops are the only ones where the remote is useful. I've set mine up on projectors or just up in front of people and used the remote many times. But on a desktop? Never.

Dagless
Sep 25, 2007, 03:18 PM
So close you can smell it :)

twoboxen
Sep 25, 2007, 03:19 PM
Why does everyone always post about the updated icons, how an application has moved, and other things that really don't matter. It seems to happen much more often relating to macs, but I saw a story on digg yesterday about some new KDE icons. Who cares?? As a mac (linux and windows, too, for what it matters) owner, I want to know more about the meat of the OS and how it will affect my daily usage. Talk about if performance in core animation has been improved, boot camp rebooting has been simplified, finder has finally reached the level of linux/windows circa 1995, etc. I can always set my own background, find the application with the old icons (or quicksilver), etc. There. Enough venting. Please, someone, show me why I'm wrong, because i HAVE to be missing something.

DanB91
Sep 25, 2007, 03:20 PM
I'm starting to think these mythical features were just BS to cover for the fact that Apple's attention was completely diverted to the iPhone, and nothing special was going to happen with Leopard.

Please, dear god, I hope they finally fix the Finder's SMB client so it can connect to Windows 2k3/Vista boxes without having to turn off packet signing. It's pretty laughable to have to turn off Windows security features, so you can connect to fileshares. Even more assanine to have to pay the cost of the OS to pick up Thursby software's Dave, to connect to these newer Windows boxes properly.

the secret features were revealed at wwdc 07. im surprised no one has realized this. as far as i can tell they seemed to have revamped the finder quite a bit including its stability

TurboSC
Sep 25, 2007, 03:20 PM
Give me Leopard and a new MacBookPro refresh kthx <3 :apple:

hotdamn
Sep 25, 2007, 03:22 PM
Does anyone else agree that Thinksecret is doing Apple a disservice with these poorly compressed images?

spookje
Sep 25, 2007, 03:23 PM
the secret features were revealed at wwdc 07. im surprised no one has realized this. as far as i can tell they seemed to have revamped the finder quite a bit including its stability

Come on? Are you saying that are the secret features? Not shocking. Even Vista had more interesting features :p

ph0rk
Sep 25, 2007, 03:25 PM

of course, if you save them, you can hunt for that scrap of an idea later using spotlight :)

I Am Designer™
Sep 25, 2007, 03:26 PM
Do Thinksecret really think we want to see yet more grabs of the desktop pictures system prefs?! - and 7, yes 7! grabs of the voiceover utility!?

Anyway...

It good to see the status bar in Mail.app - rather than having to keep the separate 'Activity window' open, I'm looking forward to mail becoming the home of all my individual and sometimes random notes etc. I'll be keen to see how I might be able to change those note and to-do's into alarms / ical events...

Also, I'm surprised that the icons on the sidebar of finder windows don't scale to fit as they currently do. I get the feeling Apple are hoping to have a user only ever have one main finder window open that is always kept to quite a large size, I get the feeling that we'll be seeing more and more finder options and functionality - could the finder do away with the necessity for desktop in its current form?... just a thought...

PJF13
Sep 25, 2007, 03:27 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

10.6 will probably be "Lion" (maybe "Lynx" for a smaller OS update)

This is probably a VERY stupid question, but what were the OS names before the 10 series? I'm new to the Apple world.

DanB91
Sep 25, 2007, 03:33 PM
Come on? Are you saying that are the secret features? Not shocking. Even Vista had more interesting features :p

thats b/c xp to vista was like going from mac os 9 to 10.4 :)

phil83
Sep 25, 2007, 03:35 PM
Is it me or is thinksecret always running slow?

kamiboy
Sep 25, 2007, 03:35 PM
I am not a fan of all the dark greys in Leopard, I like bright whites of Tiger much better.

I wanna be excited for Leopard but I just don't see any new thing in it that I desire. That combined with fear of bugs and lockups for the first few months, diminished performance and the possible need for memory upgrade kind of takes the win out of the bag for me.

I just wish there this one, or even several big new things in Leopard that stood out and screamed gotta get this.

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 03:37 PM
thats b/c xp to vista was like going from mac os 9 to 10.4 :)

Whaa!? It had a number of new features I could count on my hand. The difference between Tiger and OS9 is astronomical!

Spikeanator6982
Sep 25, 2007, 03:38 PM

This is probably a VERY stupid question, but what were the OS names before the 10 series? I'm new to the Apple world.

well..there was OS 8 and OS 9...with all the ".'s" of course after them..but actual NAMES..idk..

hadleydb
Sep 25, 2007, 03:39 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

I would like to see Cougar or Lion. Do you think Lion could be the name of the final OSX Release because its the King? I really hope there isn't a Bobcat or House Cat/Feline. They are just too fluffy looking. :eek:

hotdamn
Sep 25, 2007, 03:40 PM
That icon for "Notes" in "Mail" sure looks a helluva lot like the iPhone's "Notes." I'll be ecstatic if Leopard Mail's Notes/ToDos end up syncing with iPhone 1.2. :)

they effing better.

after using leopard, my iPhone .mac inbox shows a folder called "notes"

diccen
Sep 25, 2007, 03:41 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

Ocelot?

dale.albiston
Sep 25, 2007, 03:45 PM
forgot my laptop had a remote, tis in the bag. until front row can play dvd images from the hard drive (dvd player can so why nit FR?) I doubt i'll be using it much anyway.

though it does look very nice, i guess if i had something like a mini hooked up as an entertainment centre then yes though.

the future..

10.6 (puss)
10.7 (damn cat)
10.8 (Crispy Fried #27 & pair of gloves)

etc

I Am Designer™
Sep 25, 2007, 03:46 PM
I just wish there this one, or even several big new things in Leopard that stood out and screamed gotta get this.

Spaces - For me thats going to be like Expose - I cant even remember how i lived without it now. Whenever I use a mac without Expose and I find myself hitting F9 and nothing happens... oh man! you mean I have to actually start moving my windows out the of the way to 'find' a window?... I already know Spaces is going to revolutionise how I interact with my Mac - again!

Time Machine - unless you have been in the position when you hit 'Save' instead of 'Save As' or when you delete a folder only to find an image within that folder is linked to another document someplace you will never know how valuable this awesome new feature is going to be...

iChat Theatre & Quicklook - Collaborating and presenting work / ideas / etc with others just became a whole new big deal... When other's start to implement Quicklook with their documents it will get even better - I can already imagine having an open document in Photoshop and hitting a Quicklook button to 'show' it to a client via iChat - they want to see a change? I jump back to Ps, make the change, hit Ql button - and boom... you get the idea...

Quicklook - no more having to keep Preview, Quicktime, TextEdit et al constantly open to quickly look at various files...

ejg930
Sep 25, 2007, 03:47 PM

Pre OSX releases were usually not called by their codenames. Mac OS 9 and 8, System 7 and 6 (maybe 5?) and before that, just finder.

Of course, if you wanted to get really old, you could start into GS/OS.

RRK
Sep 25, 2007, 03:50 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

I think there are plenty to pick from.
Wild Cat Species (alphabetical)
* African golden cat (Profelis aurata)
* Andean mountain cat (Oreailurus jacobita)
* Asian golden cat (Catopuma temminckii)
* Black-footed cat (Felis nigripes)
* Bobcat (Lynx rufus)
* Bornean bay cat (Catopuma badia)
* Canadian lynx (Lynx canadensis)
* Caracal (Caracal caracal)
* Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)
* Chinese mountain cat (Felis bieti)
* Clouded leopard (Neofelis nebulosa)
* Cougar (Puma concolor)
* Eurasian Lynx (Lynx lynx)
* Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus)
* Flat-headed cat (Prionailurus planiceps)
* Geoffroys cat (Oncifelis geoffroyi)
* Iberian lynx (Lynx pardinus)
* Jaguar (Panthera onca)
* Jaguarundi (Herpailurus yagouarundi)
* Jungle cat (Felis chaus)
* Kodkod (Oncifelis guigna)
* Leopard (Panthera pardus)
* Leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis)
* Lion (Panthera leo)
* Marbled cat (Pardofelis marmorata)
* Margay (Leopardus wiedii)
* Ocelot (Leopardus pardalis)
* Oncilla (Leopardus tigrinus)
* Pampas cat (Oncifelis colocolo)
* Pallas cat (Otocolobus manul)
* Rusty-spotted cat (Prionailurus rubiginosus)
* Sand cat (Felis margarita)
* Serval (Leptailurus serval)
* Snow leopard (Uncia uncia)
* Tiger (Panthera tigris)
* Wildcat (Felis silvestris)

hadleydb
Sep 25, 2007, 03:50 PM
I would like to see Cougar or Lion. Do you think Lion could be the name of the final OSX Release because its the King? I really hope there isn't a Bobcat or House Cat/Feline. They are just too fluffy looking. :eek:

I just looked up Cougar on the internet and another name for it is Puma... So I guess that one is out. :(

blastfamy
Sep 25, 2007, 03:51 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

? = lynx or cougar

Apple has both of these names trademarked. The cat theme is here to stay.
These names could last until around 2011. What a great time to put out OS11 anyway!

majordude
Sep 25, 2007, 03:51 PM
Ocelot?

Garfield, Heathcliff, Top Cat, Sylvester, Snowball II, Morris, Felix or Tom (with limited edition Jerry Supermouse). :eek:

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 03:54 PM
I think there are plenty to pick from:

Wild Cat Species (alphabetical)
* African golden cat (Profelis aurata)
* Andean mountain cat (Oreailurus jacobita)
* Asian golden cat (Catopuma temminckii)
* Black-footed cat (Felis nigripes)
* Bobcat (Lynx rufus)
* Bornean bay cat (Catopuma badia)
* Canadian lynx (Lynx canadensis)
* Caracal (Caracal caracal)
* Cheetah (Acinonyx jubatus)
* Chinese mountain cat (Felis bieti)
* Clouded leopard (Neofelis nebulosa)
* Cougar (Puma concolor)
* Eurasian Lynx (Lynx lynx)
* Fishing Cat (Prionailurus viverrinus)
* Flat-headed cat (Prionailurus planiceps)
* Geoffroys cat (Oncifelis geoffroyi)
* Iberian lynx (Lynx pardinus)
* Jaguar (Panthera onca)
* Jaguarundi (Herpailurus yagouarundi)
* Jungle cat (Felis chaus)
* Kodkod (Oncifelis guigna)
* Leopard (Panthera pardus)
* Leopard cat (Prionailurus bengalensis)
* Lion (Panthera leo)
* Marbled cat (Pardofelis marmorata)
* Margay (Leopardus wiedii)
* Ocelot (Leopardus pardalis)
* Oncilla (Leopardus tigrinus)
* Pampas cat (Oncifelis colocolo)
* Pallas cat (Otocolobus manul)
* Rusty-spotted cat (Prionailurus rubiginosus)
* Sand cat (Felis margarita)
* Serval (Leptailurus serval)
* Snow leopard (Uncia uncia)
* Tiger (Panthera tigris)
* Wildcat (Felis silvestris)

I've highlighted the already used ones...can you find any others that you deem suitable...maybe Cougar and Lynx but thats it...

mrpither
Sep 25, 2007, 03:54 PM
10.6 = ThunderCougarFalconBird...

mountainbiker80
Sep 25, 2007, 03:56 PM

You have no idea how right you are.

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 25, 2007, 04:01 PM
Can anyone tell me if LEAP authentication is still supported?

RRK
Sep 25, 2007, 04:03 PM
I've highlighted the already used ones...can you find any others that you deem suitable...maybe Cougar and Lynx but thats it...

Oh I don't know. Maybe; Cougar, Lynx, Wildcat, and Lion.

Maccus Aurelius
Sep 25, 2007, 04:06 PM
I passed through the J&R Apple store yesterday and played around with the Mac Pros. Maybe this was just something omitted from their particular machines, but pressing Command+Esc did not activate Front Row.

Simmerl
Sep 25, 2007, 04:07 PM
10.6 Ocelot.

Then they could name OS 11 Snake or Grey Fox or Sniper Wolf or ...

twoodcc
I want my Leopard now.

we all do. hopefully this is a very good sign that Leopard is on time

Peace
I passed through the J&R Apple store yesterday and played around with the Mac Pros. Maybe this was just something omitted from their particular machines, but pressing Command+Esc did not activate Front Row.

That's because it doesnt work in Tiger but does in Leopard.

twoodcc
Sep 25, 2007, 04:09 PM
I just looked up Cougar on the internet and another name for it is Puma... So I guess that one is out. :(

they also say Cougar is a Mountain Lion and Panther

Plymouthbreezer
Sep 25, 2007, 04:09 PM
Can't wait for my new MBP with Leopard pre-installed!

RRK
Sep 25, 2007, 04:11 PM

...but we have already had Puma and Panther so Cougar could still be an option.

hadleydb
Sep 25, 2007, 04:12 PM

True and there has been a Panther. So it is possible. Cougar sounds like a great name for the next release after Leopard.

Simon R.
Sep 25, 2007, 04:12 PM
"Support for resolution independence, which has rudimentary support in Tiger and had been rumored to be arriving with full support in Leopard, remains no where to be found."

:(

What's wrong with Apple these days? They announce features about a year back that are now gone. BIG features like resolution independency and the fast switching between Windows and OS X :rolleyes:

Cabbit
Sep 25, 2007, 04:19 PM
dose quartz express work yet. last i heard it wasnt even enabled in tiger yet.

plinden
Sep 25, 2007, 04:19 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but could someone with access to Leopard explain how a visual braille panel is supposed to work? http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/source/voiceover-utility06.html

Peace
Sep 25, 2007, 04:22 PM
Perhaps I'm missing something, but could someone with access to Leopard explain how a visual braille panel is supposed to work? http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/source/voiceover-utility06.html

It uses a braille keyboard.

SteveG4Cube
Sep 25, 2007, 04:25 PM
That's because it doesnt work in Tiger but does in Leopard.

Works with Tiger on my MacBook.

fooey
Sep 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
"Individual folders can now be specified to always open in a particular view mode."

WAHOOO

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/image/finder03.jpg

plinden
Sep 25, 2007, 04:27 PM
It uses a braille keyboard.

I know you can enter text on a braille keyboard, but this is the VoiceOver utility. It seems to be that you can show a panel on screen and set its transparency. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be useful to anyone. That's why I asked for comments from people already using Leopard.

tombarnes
Sep 25, 2007, 04:27 PM
I'm surprised to see that they haven't changed the aqua scrollbar down the side of the windows yet. I thought they would be looking more like the itunes scrollbars :(

InLikeALion
Sep 25, 2007, 04:40 PM
Someone had pointed out very cleverly on the Leopard thread a few days ago that the new scroll bars in Leopard and iTunes, when updated, will look like the ones on the Apple products page. I believe that is correct, since the apple site has obviously been updated to reflect their new hardware and software.

Those scroll bars are nice, and slicker than the 1998 looking iTunes sb's. A tasteful update, I think.

compuguy1088
Sep 25, 2007, 04:44 PM
"Individual folders can now be specified to always open in a particular view mode."

WAHOOO

<snip>

Your kidding me! Thats awesome, finally I can have my column view in certain folders and icon mode in others :)

CJD2112
Sep 25, 2007, 04:50 PM
and since front row has its own app now any mac can activate it

True, but "Front Row" was designed specifically for use with the Apple remote for wireless control (the Mac Pro is the only Mac without an IR sensor). If I'm going to play my music and movies via the keyboard, I might as well just iTunes :(.

TheSpaz
Sep 25, 2007, 04:50 PM
Why the the scrollbars still look hideous and blurry? I hate that about Mac OS X. The scroll bars and proress bars just look SOOOOO 2001... what the heck. FIX THEM PLEASE APPLE! This madness has gone on for far too long.

Taylor C
Sep 25, 2007, 04:51 PM

WAHOOO

<snip>

All I can say is... <censored> yes!

<3 ty Apple

Mac OS X Ocelot
Sep 25, 2007, 04:53 PM
Ocelot?

You rang?

BTW
Sep 25, 2007, 04:55 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

My memory is failing me now, but I thought there was a code name for 10.0 beta. Anyone know?

Peace
Sep 25, 2007, 04:56 PM
Works with Tiger on my MacBook.

I was referring to the Mac Pro.:)

I know you can enter text on a braille keyboard, but this is the VoiceOver utility. It seems to be that you can show a panel on screen and set its transparency. I'm not sure how this is supposed to be useful to anyone. That's why I asked for comments from people already using Leopard.

I'll do this once only ..If I get called about it I'll be bummed.

InLikeALion
Sep 25, 2007, 04:58 PM
dont burst my bubble!!!! have some faith :D
apple has had plenty of time to de-flea this one

Plenty of time because you/we are anxious. But I don't think its plenty of time - they are scrapping features that would be pretty impressive and compelling if they could be completed. I personally would, as anxious as I am to have the new OS, rather hold onto rock-solid Tiger and give Apple a few more months to work them out, instead of cutting them.

Examples are Resolution Independence and Fast-User Switching for Bootcamp. If these big things, which are being orphaned in order to iron out the kinks in the rest of the OS, are to be forgotten until a future OS X release, I would rather be patient for a few more months than lose the features for the next few years.

CJD2112
Sep 25, 2007, 05:01 PM
Plenty of time because you/we are anxious. But I don't think its plenty of time - they are scrapping features that would be pretty impressive and compelling if they could be completed. I personally would, as anxious as I am to have the new OS, rather hold onto rock-solid Tiger and give Apple a few more months to work them out, instead of cutting them.

Examples are Resolution Independence and Fast-User Switching for Bootcamp. If these big things, which are being orphaned in order to iron out the kinks in the rest of the OS, are to be forgotten until a future OS X release, I would rather be patient for a few more months than lose the features for the next few years.

As I wrote earlier, I couldn't agree more.

diniscorreia
Sep 25, 2007, 05:05 PM
What's with the scrollbars? Should they be iTunes-like Aqua-less scrollbars? :cool:

arn
Sep 25, 2007, 05:15 PM
I didn't see this in the gallery, but here's an example of the more translucent overlays:

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 05:16 PM
I didn't see this in the gallery, but here's an example of the more translucent overlays:

That looks tacky and irritating to me...maybe half-way between what we have now and that picture would be nice...

CJD2112
Sep 25, 2007, 05:19 PM
That looks tacky and irritating to me...maybe half-way between what we have now and that picture would be nice...

You know, all this could be solved if Apple simply LET the USER define transparency. Why not incorporate user defined preferences for transparency and color for scroll bars as they do in Windows? It would allow a much more personalized experience and placate all the people who don't like certain graphical tweaks (it can't be that hard, can it?).

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 05:21 PM
You know, all this could be solved if Apple simply LET the USER define transparency. Why not incorporate user defined preferences for transparency and color for scroll bars as they do in Windows? It would allow a much more personalized experience and placate all the people who don't like certain graphical tweaks (it can't be that hard, can it?).

I've tried Linux, and the user defined transparency is great, as the 'menubar' can look good no matter how cluttered your background is...

HOWEVER...too much customization can look awful, and SJ wants his precious machines to be shown off to family and friends looking purrfect...

iJawn108
Sep 25, 2007, 05:34 PM
The next OS will be lynx

pgwalsh
Sep 25, 2007, 05:35 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Felix)

I thought it would be obvious.

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 05:36 PM
The next OS will be lynx

Maybe...

Peace

What's the gold Safari icon arn ? It's not in my version.

klagermkii

I think the expectations for "Resolution Independence" is far too high at the moment. As awesome as it would be, we're not going to see Resolution Independence as yet another control in Display where we can just dynamically change the "zoom" of our apps anytime soon. It's only there so that Apple can start releasing displays with higher PPI's and not alienate people with less than perfect vision.

What you will probably see is Apple updates around 10.5.4 will fix the problems with Leopard apps and their poor resolution independence support, and this will be just in time for the release of either a ultra portable Macbook (with a small high-density display) or a 15-inch Macbook Pro that supports 1080p. In the meantime they're concentrating on getting the real show-stopping bugs in Leopard fixed for launch, and go back to this (and ZFS, hopefully) later.

It will be a mid-Leopard feature update when the Mac hardware that needs it, similar to how Front Row came along halfway through Tiger with the addition of the remote.

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 05:37 PM

Webkit (http://webkit.org/) nightly, its what Safari is based upon, but not often updated....

Taylor C
Sep 25, 2007, 05:37 PM

WebKit nightly build.

Peace
Sep 25, 2007, 05:38 PM
WebKit nightly build.

ahh..ok

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 05:39 PM
It will be a mid-Leopard feature update when the Mac hardware that needs it, similar to how Front Row came along halfway through Tiger with the addition of the remote.

Thats different, it only came with new computers from then on...it was not an update for older models...

akac
Sep 25, 2007, 05:41 PM
"Support for resolution independence, which has rudimentary support in Tiger and had been rumored to be arriving with full support in Leopard, remains no where to be found."

:(

What's wrong with Apple these days? They announce features about a year back that are now gone. BIG features like resolution independency and the fast switching between Windows and OS X :rolleyes:

Leopard has put a lot of work into RI. Apple has put a lot of time into RI with app devs. But until apps are updated to support RI, RI will not work. People don't just use Apple apps.

So Leopard has RI and while not every Apple app is RI enabled yet, the fact that all OS elements are RI ready now means that Apple can enable RI when its ready.

As for the fast switching - that was never announced. It was accidentally shown on the Leopard web pages for a couple hours.

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 05:44 PM
As for the fast switching - that was never announced. It was accidentally shown on the Leopard web pages for a couple hours.

That is a strong indication that its a scrapped plan...

Lesser Evets
Sep 25, 2007, 05:49 PM
The next OS will be lynx

OSX 10.6 - Polecat

klagermkii
Sep 25, 2007, 05:56 PM
Thats different, it only came with new computers from then on...it was not an update for older models...

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't change it easily on any machine, even when RI is ready to go.

Apple would in their usual infinite wisdom go "Right, you've got a Macbook Pro 15-inch @ 1920x1080 so you need to have RI set to 110 PPI" and "You've got an iMac 24-inch @ 1920x1080 which translates to 72 PPI". Applications would then all look exactly the same size across the entire Mac range, except the newer models have better detail than the older ones. Steve has always shown he does love consistency more than customizability.

And if you wanted you could still fiddle with the manual override in Quartz Debug (just as you can now). Only difference being it would actually work, and not mess up the Finder as the Leopard screenshots demonstrated.

There's just no real pressure on them to get their own apps ready until the hardware that needs it is almost out, but they'll have given the tools (like Quartz Debug and the docs on ADC) to third-party developers to get ready for it in advance.

CJD2112
Sep 25, 2007, 05:59 PM
HOWEVER...too much customization can look awful, and SJ wants his precious machines to be shown off to family and friends looking purrfect...

I know, Steve Jobs does like his "quality" control. I appreciate it, hence why I'm an Apple user, however too much control leads to OCD. :p

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 06:01 PM
I know, Steve Jobs does like his "quality" control. I appreciate it, hence why I'm an Apple user, however too much control leads to OCD. :p
In some ways its nice, but then we see press releases about bricking hacked iPhones...PEOPLE NEED NES!!!

MacFly123
Sep 25, 2007, 06:09 PM
Oh I don't know. Maybe; Cougar, Lynx, Wildcat, and Lion.

GOD... Ok, can we talk about something freakin' USEFUL??? I am so sick of this stupid cat name game. How about we talk about multi-touch. Does anyone think they could still implement aspects of it in Leopard with those new weird touch pads coming in the new laptops? They already have the code in OS X iPhone right? Or do you think we will have to wait till 2009 and the next update?

Part of me thinks and hopes they will surprise everyone with that and really really beat Microsoft for another 5 years at least in advancement, meanwhile Microsoft will have a cool 5 foot $10,000 table LOL :p

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 06:12 PM
GOD... Ok, can we talk about something freakin' USEFUL??? I am so sick of this stupid cat name game.At least its better than the "Will there be a 10.x.11?" debate...

ro2nie
Sep 25, 2007, 06:15 PM
GOD... Ok, can we talk about something freakin' USEFUL??? I am so sick of this stupid cat name game. How about we talk about multi-touch. Does anyone think they could still implement aspects of it in Leopard with those new weird touch pads coming in the new laptops? They already have the code in OS X iPhone right? Or do you think we will have to wait till 2009 and the next update?

Part of me thinks and hopes they will surprise everyone with that and really really beat Microsoft for another 5 years at least in advancement, meanwhile Microsoft will have a cool 5 foot $10,000 table LOL :p

It'll be called Mac OS X Liger ;)

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
It'll be called Mac OS X Liger ;)

Ah yes...

http://photos6.flickr.com/10094534_9fc9e125b6_m.jpg

Cavemate K
Sep 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
Maybe...

A while back Apple trademarked "Cougar" and "Lynx" among the names already used. So, if they keep up with the current pattern of animal names then it will probably be one of those two. I'm voting for Lynx!:D

I Am Designer™
Sep 25, 2007, 06:22 PM
GOD... Ok, can we talk about something freakin' USEFUL??? I am so sick of this stupid cat name game.

A-Freakin'-Men...! Maybe there should be an ongoing thread where people can show off their knowledge of cats, and throw about conjecture as to what cat the next mac os will be named after...

Meanwhile... I wrote in another thread that i think if they do implement a multitouch-pad onto laptops that it wont be a screen - but simply carry the same sort of functionality as Apples current touch screens. Also, the touch pad / wrist pad will be a totally seamless and flat surface, the only clue to there being a pad being a glassy plate... The more I think about it the more I think they will still need a physical button, there's certain things that require that physical feedback, especially in design (drawing using bezier curves for example...)

Taylor C
Sep 25, 2007, 06:24 PM
Lion, imho.

RRK
Sep 25, 2007, 06:25 PM

I don't really know if much of any of this discussion is actually "useful", but I was just answering a question.

Talk about not useful, you are the one bringing up "Surface". :p;)

psychofreak
Sep 25, 2007, 06:25 PM
Talk about not useful, you are the one bringing up "Surface". :p;)

Never mind Surface, just MS on its own...

I Am Designer™
Sep 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
I wrote previously about iChat and Quick look. I think it's going to be one of those features that it 3rd parties really pick up on it will really change a lot of things...

Collaborating and presenting work / ideas / etc with others just became a whole new big deal... When other's start to implement Quicklook with their documents it will get even better - I can already imagine having an open document in Photoshop and hitting a Quicklook button to 'show' it to a client via iChat - they want to see a change? I jump back to Ps, make the change, hit Ql button - and boom... you get the idea...

macfan70
Sep 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
Seeing as there are actually a very limited number of FELIDAE left:

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

I think the new set will have to be birds:

Mac OS 11.0 ( Archaeopteryx ) - Start really far back to allow room to grow.:)

queshy
Sep 25, 2007, 07:04 PM
I can't wait to try it out!

I'm not going to get it on the first day - because I just want to make sure that it installs properly and is pretty smooth - i.e. just want to avoid something of the same caliber of iPod touch screen problem. I'll buy it on day 2, lol.

Diatribe
Sep 25, 2007, 07:12 PM
Please someone at Apple get off the drugs and change the folder icons... I don't think I have ever seen anything more hideous.

niclet
Sep 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

Mac OS X 10.6 (Lynx)

offwidafairies
Sep 25, 2007, 07:27 PM

true.... but cant i have my cake and eat it too?
(ive never understood that saying... it makes no sense)

Kid Red
Sep 25, 2007, 07:36 PM
I just looked over the gallery and really dislike the UI. It seems chopped together. The dark grey and buttons that are not very deep do not flow with the shiny, thicker aqua buttons and scroll bars. It's like they are leaving aqua behind but not completely, yet moving in a completely different direction. I don't get the roundish vibrant buttons with the flat grey buttons. Seems like a very bad OS X theme from a few years ago.

I don't expect many changes before the final, but I'm disappointed. I suppose going with the greyscale theme is the only real option.

swiftaw
Sep 25, 2007, 07:40 PM

I always read PDF's in the browser window with safari. I'm guessing you probably use Firefox

absolutazn87
Sep 25, 2007, 07:40 PM
two things

the scrollbars really need to be changed to the itunes scrollbars. the bright aqua style really doesn't match the rest of the leopard UI

also, is it just me or do the aqua buttons need to go too? they look really awkward next to all the other changes in the leopard UI and i really think that the buttons should go along with the scrollbars

majordude
Sep 25, 2007, 07:44 PM
Through all of this, what is the compelling reason to upgrade to 10.5? :confused:

I'm one who is cursed with always wanting the latest and greatest but I'm not sure I see a real reason to upgrade (and go through upgrade hell). The time machine thing seems interesting but then I'm not one to delete stuff accidentally. And when I make changes to an important document I save it as a new document.

Anyone?

pknz
Sep 25, 2007, 07:54 PM
10.6 lolcat

compuguy1088
Sep 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
10.6 lolcat

I like that version, though it needs more lolcats!

I Am Designer™
Sep 25, 2007, 07:59 PM
Through all of this, what is the compelling reason to upgrade to 10.5? :confused:

I'm one who is cursed with always wanting the latest and greatest but I'm not sure I see a real reason to upgrade (and go through upgrade hell). The time machine thing seems interesting but then I'm not one to delete stuff accidentally. And when I make changes to an important document I save it as a new document.

Anyone?

Read some of my personal points on Page 2 of this thread.

For me, there are a few features of leopard that will change the way I work and interact with my mac in exactly the same way as features introduced in years gone by.

I really am starting to think that expectations of Apple's current OS model are built on what Microsoft released in Vista. Vista was touted as a major sea-change when juxtaposed with XP - exactly the same way Apple went from OS9 to X. With leopard we are seeing the further evolution of X - and yet, even with it being a larger incremental change, it is still in fact leaps and bounds ahead of Vista in what it can achieve. In fact, Tiger as it stands has better executed features and in-line applications than Vista. If you dont think there is anything compelling in Leopard to make you upgrade then you should most certainly stick with the OS version you have - and simply wait until Apple release a compelling enough version of their OS that suits your needs. For me, Leopard has enough compelling features to make me upgrade once it's released.

Darkroom
Sep 25, 2007, 08:07 PM
i still see aqua scroll bars... hope those are pulled for the gm...

Ben Logan
Sep 25, 2007, 08:10 PM
i still see aqua scroll bars... hope those are pulled for the gm...

+1

Time to replace the aqua scroll bars with those cool plastic greyish looking ones on the apple website.

MacFly123
Sep 25, 2007, 08:54 PM
two things

the scrollbars really need to be changed to the itunes scrollbars. the bright aqua style really doesn't match the rest of the leopard UI

also, is it just me or do the aqua buttons need to go too? they look really awkward next to all the other changes in the leopard UI and i really think that the buttons should go along with the scrollbars

I really don't like the iTunes scroll bars but they are growing on me a little, and i LOVE aqua, but I have to totally agree. Either Apple needs to get rid of ALL Aqua to match the iPhone/iTunes interface they are going with, or keep Aqua, or make something new. But all mixed together like it is now looks bad. Another thing is the buttons in Preview are even different from all of that too lol. Its kind of sad that Steve goes off about consistency and yet the best design people in the world at Apple are mixing together so much stuff it looks ridiculous.

d70
Sep 25, 2007, 08:57 PM
I agree that they are probably locking things down for RC but there are still tons of bugs left, some major ones still remain ... not just two known. Good thing is they have the Leopard update software working (I hope), so from now on they can push out fixes gradually after it's gone gold.

MacFly123
Sep 25, 2007, 08:58 PM

Anyone?

I understand what you are saying. I think I am pretty much the same way. But all it takes is once, just once and Time Machine will be worth EVERYTHING. Especially with the way we store everything in our lives digitally now, this is really important for the future. Especially with how fun and easy Apple makes it. This is probably the only backup app a normal non computer person would ever use.

retroneo
Sep 25, 2007, 08:59 PM
With the exception of Xcode there are no 64-bit applications in Leopard now.

The frameworks are 64-bit however, allowing other developers to create 64-bit applications.

Hobofuzz
Sep 25, 2007, 09:23 PM

WAHOOO

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/image/finder03.jpg

That's not new o_O

"Show View Options" does just that.

Mr. Dee
Sep 25, 2007, 09:38 PM
Here are the code names for Mac OS Classic as far back System 7.5, I am sure earlier versions had code names but probably were not publicized.

System 7.5 - Capone
System 7.6 - Harmony

Mac OS 8.0 - Tempo
Mac OS 8.1 - Bride of Buster
Mac OS 8.5 - Allegro
Mac OS 8.6 - Veronica

Mac OS 9.0 - Sonata
Mac OS 9.1 - Fortissimo
Mac OS 9.2 - Moonlight

Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

As for the future:
Mac OS 10.6 - Cougar
Mac OS 10.7 - Lynx

Simply because they are trademarked already. Apple could use the Lynx branding as a way of saying its the link to the future in system software innovation and application development. Then again, these new galaxy focused themes in Leopard concerning space and time could possibly be a sign of whats to come in the future. 10.5 code be the last cat themed Mac OS.

Apple could go back to making codenames internal:

Mac OS 11.0 - Universe
Mac OS 11.1 - Solar
Mac OS 11.2 - Stars
Mac OS 11.3 - Nebula
Mac OS 11.4 - Nova
Mac OS 11.5 - Galaxy

Mac OS 11.6 - Milky Way
Mac OS 11.7 - Planets

zorinlynx
Sep 25, 2007, 09:47 PM
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
As for the future:
Mac OS 10.6 - Cougar

I wonder if ANYONE at Apple knows that "Puma", "Panther", and "Cougar" are all different names for the SAME CAT? (felis puma concolor).

Yep, all the same cat. So I hope they go for "lynx" for the next release, because we don't need yet ANOTHER OSX release named after puma concolor!

-Z

pohl
Sep 25, 2007, 09:59 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

Mac OS X 10.6 (Pu55y) :eek:

Orng
Sep 25, 2007, 10:00 PM
? = lynx or cougar

Apple has both of these names trademarked. The cat theme is here to stay.
These names could last until around 2011. What a great time to put out OS11 anyway!

I just can't see Cougar... Maybe this is a regional thing, maybe nobody will know what I'm talking about, but around here, Cougar refers to... ahem... a mature single lady whose intentions are her own business, but her approach is considered... ummm... shameless or overly agressive and her targets are 10 to 15 years younger than her (and I'm not being sexist; mature single guys who act this way I would call an "@$$." Besides, its not my word, but is in common usage.)

I guess naming it Cougar might be a good way to indicate that it is a "mature" operating system, but everytime I have to say "Mac OS X Cougar" I'll be imagining my Macbook shamelessly hitting on the handsome young linux machine at the next table before spilling an umbrella drink on herself and falling over her stilletos.

aLoC
Sep 25, 2007, 10:53 PM
Res. independence is FULLY implemented in Leopard, they just chose not to make it an end-user feature until third parties have had time to update their apps.

You can nevertheless turn it on if you want, just install dev tools and use Quartz Debug.

Stella
Sep 25, 2007, 11:46 PM
Don't bet around the bush.

Mature single woman who like to pull men 'half' ( in quotes ) her age...

I just can't see Cougar... Maybe this is a regional thing, maybe nobody will know what I'm talking about, but around here, Cougar refers to... ahem... a mature single lady whose intentions are her own business, but her approach is considered... ummm... shameless or overly agressive and her targets are 10 to 15 years younger than her (and I'm not being sexist; mature single guys who act this way I would call an "@$$." Besides, its not my word, but is in common usage.)

I guess naming it Cougar might be a good way to indicate that it is a "mature" operating system, but everytime I have to say "Mac OS X Cougar" I'll be imagining my Macbook shamelessly hitting on the handsome young linux machine at the next table before spilling an umbrella drink on herself and falling over her stilletos.

kwong2006
Sep 26, 2007, 12:31 AM
Res. independence is FULLY implemented in Leopard, they just chose not to make it an end-user feature until third parties have had time to update their apps.

You can nevertheless turn it on if you want, just install dev tools and use Quartz Debug.

How would you turn it on if you are a layuser?

Chris Welch
Sep 26, 2007, 12:33 AM
How does this build run for basic web browsing and multimedia stuff? Does iTunes run perfectly? iPhoto?

I'm thinking of installing it on an old iMac G5 in the other room that my parents use just for basic word processing and browsing.

sethypoo
Sep 26, 2007, 12:39 AM
I can't wait! It's almost like getting a whole new computer. The sooner the better!

LittleJ09
Sep 26, 2007, 12:45 AM
Please someone at Apple get off the drugs and change the folder icons... I don't think I have ever seen anything more hideous.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one... they're awful

Lots of love on pretty much everything else though :)

Hombre
Sep 26, 2007, 12:46 AM
I really hope they change the remaining aqua controls before release, as they really don't fit in there anymore. See how they don't look very consistent next to the new darker blue selection color. While some of you have expressed that you like the new interface, I think this is one fugly window:

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/image/voiceover-utility07.jpg

And don't forget the nasty purple question mark, which always looked like an anachronism. This is three interface generations in one window. :(

altcomputing
Sep 26, 2007, 12:52 AM
They still have lots of work to do. One of the new features is Polish localization, which is at least incomplete. If you switch locale to Polish, you can see that not all text are translated, the Dictionary does no work, and the Help system is actually... English in this case. And even if the translation is existant, it is merely correct in some places, making us (Poles) laugh sometimes because of some silly language mistakes. There are tons of bugs left to correct.

I am afraid we will see a few more builds before it becomes RC and GM.

Sorry to dissapoint you.

Hombre
Sep 26, 2007, 01:04 AM
I am afraid we will see a few more builds before it becomes RC and GM.

Let's better say: We hope they do a few more RCs before GM. :-/

Darkroom
Sep 26, 2007, 01:42 AM

i don't think many people will argue with you... they are a little flat...

ozontheroad
Sep 26, 2007, 02:06 AM
deleted

Manic Mouse
Sep 26, 2007, 02:58 AM
I think they'll call the next versions after planets:

11.0 Mercury
11.1 Venus
11.2 Earth
11.3 Mars
etc

That way they can even give each version a symbol.

thefunkymunky
Sep 26, 2007, 03:11 AM
MacScoop (http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2007/09/24/mac-os-x-leopard-nearing-final-candidate) are now reporting that Leopard 9A559 is infact Final Candidate.

ncsmith4
Sep 26, 2007, 03:13 AM
They've still got a few more cats to go. Im waiting for "Lynx." Or "Cougar."

Evangelion
Sep 26, 2007, 03:14 AM

They look beautiful, functional and they are easy on the eyes.

dukebound85
Sep 26, 2007, 03:20 AM
MacScoop (http://www.macscoop.com/articles/2007/09/24/mac-os-x-leopard-nearing-final-candidate) are now reporting that Leopard 9A559 is infact Final Candidate.

cool deal!

kamiboy
Sep 26, 2007, 03:43 AM
+1

Time to replace the aqua scroll bars with those cool plastic greyish looking ones on the apple website.

Holy sheit, I hope not! I love Aqua and I have strong reservations about Apple's new found love for depressing muted colours and dark shades of grey instead of the bright pastels of past. If Apple completes the change to muted colours I might just stick with tiger since there isn't really anything attracting me to Leopard to begin with. If I wanted to be depressed by grey colours I would just look outside the window(s).

In fact the only thing that might get me to change to Leopard in that case would be if Apple has addressed certain stability and performance issues that bother me with Tiger.

messedkid
Sep 26, 2007, 04:11 AM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

Only "big cats" that are left are Cougar or Lion (RAWR!!)

boss1
Sep 26, 2007, 04:17 AM
Don't forget prehistoric Sabertooth ;)

spookje
Sep 26, 2007, 04:45 AM
I sincerely hope not 559 is the final candidate in the way it's seeded to ADC members. Because all kind of annoying freezes and iCal and Safari keeps crashing quite a lot. Useless.

Diatribe
Sep 26, 2007, 05:11 AM

Yeah, that's the thing, everything else looks great, well minus the aqua scroll bars. And I haven't heard that many people complaining about the folders, kinda gets me worried.

They look beautiful, functional and they are easy on the eyes.

Looking at the folders alone you might have a point. But if you look at the folders in context with ANYTHING else in Leopard they don't fit. They look completely out of place. Look in the sys prefs or in the dock or in the installer dmg. They look like they are from another theme.

I don't know whether anyone at Apple is paying attention they must just look at the folders without the OS or be completely blind.

Hombre
Sep 26, 2007, 05:19 AM
Another example of Leopards questionable beauty:

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/image/system-preferences10.jpg

Three shades of blue in one window? :barf:

MrCrowbar
Sep 26, 2007, 06:09 AM
Actually, Apple doesn't want you to change your scaling settings with a slider so you can fit more (or less) windows on your screen. Its sole purpose is to make things look sharper when high resolution displays are out. A square inch will have 10,000 pixels on a normal 100 ppi display, and 40,000 pixels on a 200 ppi display. On both displays, it will be an inch high and an inch wide. In Tiger, you would have to run your 200 ppi display at half its resolution to get the proportions right, but you would have groups of 4 pixels with the same color, which is wasteful and wouldn't give you any benefit upon using a regular 100 ppi screen.

Although I would love to be able to rezize my desktop so I could fit more junk into the menu bar, that's not gonna happen, at least without dev tools.

Project
Sep 26, 2007, 06:27 AM
Another example of Leopards questionable beauty:

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/image/system-preferences10.jpg

Three shades of blue in one window? :barf:

Its already like that in Tiger.

The blue in the Source pane changes color when it has been selected, but is not the foremost windows.

This is a good thing believe it or not. I could do without the watery Aqua though.

Here is what it looks like when the Source is the foremost selection

http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/leopard9a559/image/voiceover-utility03.jpg

I like these preference panes. First saw them in the new Airport Utility

Hombre
Sep 26, 2007, 06:32 AM
I like these preference panes. First saw them in the new Airport Utility

The source panes are not the problem, but the fugly aqua elements that absolutely don't fit in this context anymore, like it can be seen in this screenshot as well. This looks so ugly.

Project
Sep 26, 2007, 06:36 AM
The source panes are not the problem, but the fugly aqua elements, like it can be seen in this screenshot as well. This looks so ugly.

You said 3 shades of blue was the problem, which it isnt. Clearly, the problem is the aqua widgets still in there that look so out of place at the moment.

I think the actual window itself and layout is great. Very clear and concise. Id kill for those black/metal widgets on the Apple website in place of the Aqua though

Hombre
Sep 26, 2007, 06:47 AM
You said 3 shades of blue was the problem, which it isnt.

It really only gets a problem with the third shade of blue -> Aqua which is too much here. Just two of them would be alright. So, in a way, having three shades is the problem indeed. ;-)

earnjam
Sep 26, 2007, 07:34 AM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

If you're talking wild cats...

Mac OS X 10.6 (Lion)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Lynx)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Cougar)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Ocelot)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Serval)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Bornean Bay Cat)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Jaguarundi)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Caracal)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Margay)
Mac OS X 10.6 (Oncilla)

But, really, who cares...?

They ought to just go trippy on us and call it:

MAC OS X 10.6 (Cheshire)

RRK
Sep 26, 2007, 07:42 AM
You said 3 shades of blue was the problem, which it isnt. Clearly, the problem is the aqua widgets still in there that look so out of place at the moment.

I think the actual window itself and layout is great. Very clear and concise. Id kill for those black/metal widgets on the Apple website in place of the Aqua though

He saying the colors of the aqua elements clash with the other two blue elements in the window. I agree and I think all the remaining aqua elements will certainly be updated before the OS ships. Hopefully to the ones on the website as has been discussed.

Orng
Sep 26, 2007, 07:57 AM
Don't forget prehistoric Sabertooth ;)

If I was going to create an awesome Classic emulator, I'd call it Sabertooth.

lord patton
Sep 26, 2007, 08:15 AM
They ought to just go trippy on us and call it:

MAC OS X 10.6 (Cheshire)

FABULOUS!!!

pagansoul
Sep 26, 2007, 08:42 AM
OSX 10.6 - Polecat

I believe a polecat = skunk or weasel, but that my have been your point.

Wayfarer
Sep 26, 2007, 09:21 AM
To me, Quicklook alone is worth the pricetag! :eek:

lookmark
Sep 26, 2007, 09:36 AM
I agree that Aqua elements could use an overall makeover, but unfortunately it looks like we're not getting that (or resolution independence that's finished) until 10.6.

Apple seems to update the UI for Mac OS X in little dribs and drabs, piecemeal over multiple releases.

I find it likely that they planned on doing a more comprehensive overhaul (utilizing CoreAnimation), but ran out of time due to delays from the Intel transition and OS X Mobile development. Or possibly they just needed more time to think it over - you don't make a big change to the face of the Mac without considering it over very carefully. Or possibly the more CA-dependent UI was just too slow for '07.

Mekgek
Sep 26, 2007, 09:52 AM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

Mac OS X 10.6 (Pu.ssy)

Roessnakhan
Sep 26, 2007, 09:57 AM
Braille?

the JoshMeister
Sep 26, 2007, 09:59 AM

I wasn't going to be quite that harsh about it, but I'm not particularly impressed by the new folder icons, either...

...But then again, it also took me a while to get used to the Mac OS 8 folder icons and the Mac OS X Public Beta folder icons, too, and eventually I became totally accustomed to them.

What does everyone else think of the new folder icons?

Taylor C
Sep 26, 2007, 10:04 AM
I actually really like them.

the JoshMeister
Sep 26, 2007, 10:06 AM
And by the way, there aren't any screenshots of any anti-phishing features in that gallery. *Sigh*

Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/aug/07leopard.html) that Leopard would have anti-phishing capabilities back in August 2006, and in October 2006 Leopard builds Safari had Google-based anti-phishing (http://www.tuaw.com/2006/10/19/screenshots-from-the-latest-leopard-build/), but I haven't seen or heard anything about it since then (nearly a year ago).

Please, please... someone clear this up for me! Will Leopard's Safari and Mail have any anti-phishing features?

(And yes, I know about OpenDNS, and I even use and recommend it... but the point is, Apple really should have *something* built into the OS, especially with all its boasts of having a safer online experience.)

absolutazn87
Sep 26, 2007, 10:11 AM
I really hope they change the remaining aqua controls before release, as they really don't fit in there anymore. See how they don't look very consistent next to the new darker blue selection color. While some of you have expressed that you like the new interface, I think this is one fugly window:

And don't forget the nasty purple question mark, which always looked like an anachronism. This is three interface generations in one window. :(

He saying the colors of the aqua elements clash with the other two blue elements in the window. I agree and I think all the remaining aqua elements will certainly be updated before the OS ships. Hopefully to the ones on the website as has been discussed.

I absolutely agree with you guys. It would be very disappointing if leopard ships the way it is now with the aqua still there. The aqua elements just don't fit with the rest of the UI. I'm talking buttons, drop-downs, scrollbars. It really just looks very odd. I really don't think it would be very hard to do to change the scrollbars and buttons. I mean it's already been tested in iTunes 7.

seashellz
Sep 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

Kitty?

Bobcat, Cougar

klagermkii
Sep 26, 2007, 02:57 PM
Actually, Apple doesn't want you to change your scaling settings with a slider so you can fit more (or less) windows on your screen. Its sole purpose is to make things look sharper when high resolution displays are out. A square inch will have 10,000 pixels on a normal 100 ppi display, and 40,000 pixels on a 200 ppi display. On both displays, it will be an inch high and an inch wide. In Tiger, you would have to run your 200 ppi display at half its resolution to get the proportions right, but you would have groups of 4 pixels with the same color, which is wasteful and wouldn't give you any benefit upon using a regular 100 ppi screen.

Although I would love to be able to rezize my desktop so I could fit more junk into the menu bar, that's not gonna happen, at least without dev tools.

Totally agree. The closest you'll get to a "user configurable" setting will be the Quartz Debug tool, where developers can fiddle with the PPI to make sure their own programs work correctly at different sizes without requiring 6 different Macs.

What will change is walking into an Apple store and seeing the 20", 24" and 30" screens on display, and across all those displays everything on Mac OS is of identical size.

Apple will then no longer have to explain how you can sometimes fit more windows onto some 21" screens vs some 24" screen, and how resolutions and dot-pitch and all that stuff works. When you get a monitor that's 4" bigger... you get 4" of extra desktop space. It's the Apple way!

vassillios
Sep 26, 2007, 03:33 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

well...there's still Lion ...but that's the king of the jungle so it should be the last iteration of the run.

Cheetah, Lynx, Cougar, Bobcat, Smilodon, Caracal

of course I posted BEFORE reading all the posts.... Smilodon still holds up. I could even see Serengeti being used somewhere...

But I would crap my pants if they used:

Schrödinger

HLdan
Sep 26, 2007, 04:46 PM
I don't know if this irks anyone else besides me but I was hoping that Apple would ditch the blue gel scroll bars in Leopard. Everything else in the UI looks great but with the iLife suite and iTunes using the new scroll bars it just doesn't look good keeping the blue scroll bars for web browsing and the Finder. :(

psychofreak
Sep 26, 2007, 04:49 PM
I don't know if this irks anyone else besides me but I was hoping that Apple would ditch the blue gel scroll bars in Leopard. If you don't know then you clearly haven't read much of the thread, which is full of people complaining about them. IMO, they should use the grey bar here (apple.com/itunes) :)

HLdan
Sep 26, 2007, 04:52 PM
If you don't know then you clearly haven't read much of the thread, which is full of people complaining about them. IMO, they should use the grey bar here (apple.com/itunes) :)

Yeah, ya know, I didn't read every page until now. Sorry I didn't it had been brought up multiple times. Well I hope Apple recognizes how ugly the scroll bars are.

nre999
Sep 26, 2007, 04:56 PM
Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah)
Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Mac OS X 10.6 ( ? )

Ocelot

The Flashing Fi
Sep 26, 2007, 07:54 PM
Don't forget that it still hasn't been released.

If Mac has the theming system anything like Window's, you have a file that includes all of the pictures (like the scroll bar, ect). All they have to do is change the picture files to what they want. If it's implimented in such a way, it won't compromise the stability of the OS, so I wouldn't be suprised if it's something that is changed in Pre-GM build of Leopard and made its way into the GM. They might do this as something that's unexpected to get that "WOW" factor.

I remember when I was using the RC1 version of Windows Vista, the sounds were the same ones from XP for the most part, but they were all pretty much replaced in the final version of Vista.

Hopefully this gives you guys some glimmer of hope.

Also, what's this I keep seeing about the MacBook Pro refresh?

Taylor C
Sep 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
Apple added two new desktop pictures that haven't been posted before. I really like both of them (I love the version of "Stones" in Tiger).

ncsmith4
Sep 26, 2007, 09:37 PM
MacBook pro refresh??? When?

Ben Logan
Sep 26, 2007, 10:04 PM
Apple added two new desktop pictures that haven't been posted before. I really like both of them (I love the version of "Stones" in Tiger).

One of the stones is cracked. Where's the quality control!? :eek:

Ben Logan
Sep 26, 2007, 10:35 PM
One thing Vista has that I wish Leopard would integrate is a cool fade-out effect when you close a window. On Vista, when you click on the close button, the window disintegrates into the background with an "I'm outta here" sort of attitude. It's pretty cool...for Windows.

majordude
Sep 26, 2007, 10:58 PM
One of the stones is cracked. Where's the quality control!? :eek:

God must outsource his stones to China.

ricosuave
Sep 26, 2007, 11:10 PM
This build is fast and stable. One thing I found missing is the ability to back up now in Time Machine.

In previous versions, there was a button to do this. But in this build, its backs up automatically every hour.

It would be nice if they gave you an option like before.

I vote for Cougar.

TheSpaz
Sep 26, 2007, 11:19 PM
I don't like the aqua scroll bars and progress bars either. The old Aqua and the new Aqua do not match well enough.. They're just different enough to look out of place.

Also, about colors... What's with the dull blue folders, then the bright blue scroll bars, then the darker blue buttons, then the even darker blue/purple menu selections? The colors are not unified. I could see if they simply used different shades of the same blue, but these different blues are different hues all together! Man, I sure hope Leopard is themable so someone can port Max's Aqua Extreme (because that's the way Apple should have made the graphics to match the rest of OS X. I'm done here... I wanna get Leopard but it doesn't look visually like it is ready. Why is the iPhone and iPod touch interface so beautiful and consistent, while OS X lags behind. Ugh. Who's with me?

hotdamn
Sep 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
Why is the iPhone and iPod touch interface so beautiful and consistent, while OS X lags behind. Ugh. Who's with me?

Seriously, I expect big things of the company who made the iPhone (and the gorgeous new Apple TV & iPod interfaces!)

I believe, I really strongly believe that the UI changes are a "secret feature" that will unveil itself when you first boot up Leopard (or someone leaks a gold master screenshot).

Have faith :apple:-fans.

thefunkymunky
Sep 27, 2007, 05:12 AM
One thing Vista has that I wish Leopard would integrate is a cool fade-out effect when you close a window. On Vista, when you click on the close button, the window disintegrates into the background with an "I'm outta here" sort of attitude. It's pretty cool...for Windows.

Me too. I love the way windows in Windows Vista "snap" open then "fade" shut. Its a really cool effect.

I was expecting more from Leopard considering all the secrecy over those "top secret" features. I keep feeling I "want" more from Leopard.

xUKHCx
Sep 27, 2007, 05:28 AM
Me too. I love the way windows in Windows Vista "snap" open then "fade" shut. Its a really cool effect.

I was expecting more from Leopard considering all the secrecy over those "top secret" features. I keep feeling I "want" more from Leopard.

I hate those effects in vista, seems to make the whole computing experience a lot slower.

Southern
Sep 27, 2007, 05:29 AM

You and me both, but I believe that the community is suffering from the delays in Leopard and the expectation that comes with it. The phrase "absence makes the heart grow fonder" springs to mind, only in this case it makes us doubly impatient to get our hands on some critical new Apple software. We've had ample time to compare Vista to Tiger and review the shortcomings of both and say what we'd like to see in an OS and after this amount of time it's only natural to start being disappointed with the little we have seen from Leopard, "secret" or not.

thefunkymunky
Sep 27, 2007, 05:35 AM
I hate those effects in vista, seems to make the whole computing experience a lot slower.

Not for me. And they are a million miles better than XP.

pknz
Sep 27, 2007, 05:38 AM
Not for me. And they are a million miles better than XP.

Do they add any function?

thefunkymunky
Sep 27, 2007, 06:01 AM
Do they add any function?

Well. I guess not really. But visually they are more appealing. The 3D Dock in Leopard doesn't add any function if you think about it. All it does is reflect the icons (which is doesn't do correctly btw). The Stacks feature could be applied to the 2D Dock in Tiger for example.

The 3D Dock reminds me of Sun's Project Looking Glass (http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/). Maybe Apple nicked their idea. It wouldn't be the first time. YouTube. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ4Nza34ak)

http://www.sun.com/software/images/products/I1_looking_glass_lg.jpg

I Am Designer™
Sep 27, 2007, 07:06 AM
Some of the stuff people are talking about re: Vista are pretty nice effects - but I still think there is a bit of a paradox between Vista and OSX.

Sure, Apple have had an inconsistent look and feel across windows and apps, but the changes we've seen in iTunes - are advancements on the aqua theme - like all good design they push the original creation forward, simplify it, make it more elegant etc etc... With the aqua theme being part and parcel of X. Take the 'brushed metal theme' - that has slowly become smoother, more natural, a better design evolution. To that end, is it really right to make comparisons to Vista? Vista, in terms of pushing things forward, fails. It failed in it's major aim at replacing XP - it's all gloss, an OS that Microsoft are essentially trying to hide via decoration. Where are the real-world tools that will make things different in an OS touted as being utterly different?...

I've written up some of my thoughts on this post - that talks about expectations of Leopard...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=360747

Hombre
Sep 27, 2007, 09:50 AM
The 3D Dock reminds me of Sun's Project Looking Glass (http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/). Maybe Apple nicked their idea.

It's more like Project Looking Glass has nicked the dock from Mac OS X.

the JoshMeister
Sep 27, 2007, 09:53 AM
Me too. I love the way windows in Windows Vista "snap" open then "fade" shut. Its a really cool effect.I hate those effects in vista, seems to make the whole computing experience a lot slower.

I tend to turn off the annoying Windows visual effects that make simple tasks take longer, especially fade-in and fade-out menus. Disabling such effects might only save me a small fraction of a second here or there, but it saves me a lot of frustration. I just can't stand waiting for an operating system to catch up with me. For the most part, I think the Apple UI engineers probably feel the same way, hence the increased baseline processor and RAM requirements for Leopard (867 MHz G4, 512 MB) as compared to Tiger (G3 systems with built-in FireWire—which included a 300 MHz G3 (http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=g3blue&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC)—and 256 MB RAM).

Heck, in a way I almost think that Apple was being generious to G3 owners with Tiger's requirements; the Dashboard takes ridiculously long to launch on my 400 MHz G3 with 704 MB RAM, and searching with Spotlight takes forever, too. Incidentally, I've always figured that the only reason Apple let the Blue & White G3 run Tiger is that the original PowerMac G4 used the same hardware as the B&W, and Apple wanted to support all G4 systems. As soon as I saw Time Machine demonstrated, I was pretty darn sure that Apple would ax support for all G3 systems.