PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling HD issue with PowerBook 12"

recordprod
Sep 25, 2007, 04:42 PM
Before Christmas last year my 12" 1.33 PowerBook started making scraping noises, not sounding good. The the big ? mark came up on boot up and no matter what I did with the rescue disk I couldn't format the drive etc. So it got put in the drawer and I got a MB C2D 2GHz, then another for wifey.

Anyway, I thought that the 12" was such a nice machine I should get it repaired and sellm one of the MB's (have a 24" iMac too) to get a 23" Cinema Screen. I powered up and for the hell of it tried to do a format - worked. Did a complete install. All now apparently ok.

I've got a booking to have the drive replaced on Friday but now I'm wondering if there may have just been some issue and it will be fine now.... or do I spend the cash to have it replaced? Any ideas? Very confused!

Cheers!

Mike

bmcgrath
Sep 25, 2007, 04:59 PM
Hmmm I wouldn't trust that. I'v had a similar problem with HD's before like that. Stopped working. Then months later working again and stopping again.
Get it fixed if you can ;)

jackc
Sep 25, 2007, 05:10 PM
I have a similar issue with my 12" PB 1.33

Started making some very scary clicking sounds, and it froze up on me a couple of times. Now it's working again. My AppleCare is expired so I wasn't planning on getting it repaired. I'm planning to replace it with the next MacBook.