PDA

View Full Version : for xbox 360 owners

thegreatunknown
Sep 26, 2007, 01:16 PM
As of yesterday, every single one of my friends that has a xbox 360 has had to return it to Microsoft at least once. Now, granted the ten or so people I'm referring to do not at all make up a large percentage of 360 users, I feel it would be fair to assume if MS's statement that approximately only 1/3 fail is true, some of my friends (and/or mine) would still be working.

Therefore as a poll I'm curious out of this macrumors world what the percentage is.

Markleshark
Sep 26, 2007, 01:22 PM
Didn't return it to Microsoft, just the retailer, but I've had a bad one so yes.

Jovian9
Sep 26, 2007, 01:43 PM
Disc drive started scratching games after about a year. Sent it to Microsoft and got a new system back.

kjr39
Sep 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
The first one I bought was DOA. The 2nd hasn't gotten much play...

mkubal
Sep 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
Thrice. Good times. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

Scott982
Sep 26, 2007, 02:50 PM
My launch 360 worked great until 9-15-07 when it suddenly got the red rings. Sent it off to microsoft and they keep telling me 6-8 weeks for repair so I went and bought another for the time being. I finally got to play halo 3 and within 30 minutes the disc drive stopped reading discs so I had to return it to gamestop. This is getting ridiculous, microsoft needs to do a recall and send people a system that won't break.

MacRumorUser
Sep 26, 2007, 04:08 PM
3 360's

1 premium since launch worked flawlessly traded up a few weeks ago to an elite which is going great.

and the other is a 12month old core - that too is working flawlessly.

Agathon
Sep 26, 2007, 04:18 PM
I voted no, but my vote probably doesn't count as I don't use it that much, and I don't go in for marathon gaming sessions. I've had it for well over a year now.

If mine dies, then, since it is long out of warranty where I am, I will simply leave it and give away all my games.

Coded-Dude
Sep 26, 2007, 04:21 PM
maybe they meant to say that 1/3 don't fail........:p

tominated
Sep 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
If mine dies, then, since it is long out of warranty where I am, I will simply leave it and give away all my games.

dibs on the games!

Dagless
Sep 26, 2007, 04:33 PM
All the folks with 360's here have died at some point too. One of them died when they first played Halo 3!

bowzer
Sep 27, 2007, 02:58 PM
Didn't get the red rings, but about 2 months ago when I went to play a game, made a horrible crunchy/scratchy/jamming sound from the dvd drive. Disc wasnt scratched, but the dvd drive killed it self. I could still play demos and live arcade games though.

Anyways, they fixed it, got it back within a week. But this was before they officially announced the 3 year service.

I had got it in Dec 2006, and it broke around july of this year.

So far so good... but I think they just swapped my dvd drive out for a different make & model. The xbox is still the same.

2nyRiggz
Sep 27, 2007, 03:34 PM
Well I'm on my second unit but its freezing like crazy...I can't get past the dashboard but I haven't gotten the red eye AS YET.

I'm tired of *Bleeping* with MS.....I called them today and had a word with the supervisor and told him this is unacceptable and I want a refund...of course they want me to send it in but I don't want to go through this again...I rather just play my PS3/Wii.

I might be a 2 console person now(If I don't feel different in the am)....I can't stand MS.

I sold my copy of H3 & cancelled live.

Bless

Jaffa Cake
Sep 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
Microsoft replaced ours with a shiny new one earlier in the year the older one became completely unplayable due to it locking up all the time. To be fair, we've had no problems at all with the replacement machine so far at least.

greatdevourer
Sep 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Mine's still in perfect condition, although I plan to mod it soon, so that may change... :D

Mackilroy
Sep 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
All the folks with 360's here have died at some point too. One of them died when they first played Halo 3!

I take issue with that. Mine's never had a single issue and I've had it since 1.1.06 :p

Dagless
Sep 27, 2007, 08:34 PM
I take issue with that. Mine's never had a single issue and I've had it since 1.1.06 :p

By here I mean folks round my way :p :o

I still can't believe both my systems were fried on the same day. I'd say what are the chances, but looking at the above graph the chances were high!

twoodcc
Sep 28, 2007, 07:16 AM
i bought mine at launch. i ended up with the 3 rings of death, sent it in and got a brand new one for free

JackAxe
Sep 28, 2007, 08:52 AM
Maybe MS should just remove the light ring on new 360s, that might solve this ongoing problem. :o *sneaks away*

<]=)

Dagless
Sep 28, 2007, 08:57 AM
If they had an ounce of humour the lights would be blue *also sneaks away* :o

fistful
Sep 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
Does the Elite or the newer Premiums with HDMI have the same problems as the earlier systems? I kind of want one but I really don't want to have to deal with any issues. I know they planned to release a newer version with a cooler processor, is that still on track?

Schnebar
Sep 28, 2007, 09:23 AM
just shipping back my second one today.

hopefully I will get a new one next time.

the refurb they sent back after a month didnt even work.

Jasonbot
Sep 28, 2007, 09:52 AM
I don't use my xbox that extensively. Do you think that I could run into a problem after my warranty expires whereby it'll just die. These things are frikken time bombs. Oh ya, I got it in dec. 2006.

cbrain
Sep 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
No, and I've had it since April 2006.

Kirbdog
Sep 28, 2007, 10:42 AM
Does the Elite or the newer Premiums with HDMI have the same problems as the earlier systems? I kind of want one but I really don't want to have to deal with any issues. I know they planned to release a newer version with a cooler processor, is that still on track?

The first Elite I bought didn't even make it through the setup before I got the 3 red rings of death. I took it back to the retailer and got a new one on the spot.
The replacement has been fine.

Piarco
Sep 28, 2007, 11:05 AM
My Premium (or Pro as it now seems to be called by MS) died on Monday for the second time, so while its being fixed I bought an Elite (today as it happens) and will sell the Premium when it returns. Setup went fine and it actually seems to be a fraction quieter than the Premium. Only issue I have is that they don't bundle the data migration cable with the Elite! Didn't know that, but I guess from a financial standpoint it makes sense. So I'm using my 20GB HDD until the kit turns up, which will be late next week at the earliest.

Fingers crossed for Elite longevity though!

2nyRiggz
Sep 28, 2007, 11:11 AM
^I was thinking about just going and buying the elite since mines is a pale of *Bleep* now but that means they get more money out of me....then it will happen again and right back up *bleeps* creek.

Should I wait for the newer cooler models(If they EVER come) or just dig in and suffer the consequences?

MRU I would gladly take that core of your hands though;)

Bless

Piarco
Sep 28, 2007, 11:17 AM
^I was thinking about just going and buying the elite since mines is a pale of *Bleep* now but that means they get more money out of me....then it will happen again and right back up *bleeps* creek.

Should I wait for the newer cooler models(If they EVER come) or just dig in and suffer the consequences?

I thought that - then saw the resale value of a Premium on ebay - with PGR3 bundled along with a charge & play kit and possibly a wireless headset, I may only be about 50 down from getting the Elite. Shadow economics I know, but it works for me :o

If they ever bring out a version with a whisper quiet DVD drive I'll trade in again. The current fan noise isn't an issue for me, but if you can wait 2nyRiggz it may be the best course. Then again if your will is as weak as mine ;)

Probably - MRU has got a whole 360 museum going on! Cuts down on heating bills too.. :D

MacRumorUser
Sep 28, 2007, 03:35 PM

Bless

Probably - MRU has got a whole 360 museum going on! Cuts down on heating bills too.. :D

:p

Have you seen how much energy they use up ? Trust me it would be cheaper to run a 2kw electric heater :D:D

In fairness I do have two homes, my main house & studio in the countryside and my apartment / chill-out pad in the town (where I escape to when work & clients just wont go away and leave me alone), so I can justify having multiple consoles :p

Was thinking of trading up the core though to one of the new 'premiums' with the HDMI added. :)

Jasonbot
Sep 28, 2007, 03:46 PM
Have you seen how much energy they use up ? Trust me it would be cheaper to run a 2kw electric heater :D:D

Yeah but you can't game on a 2kw heater now can you?

masterapple04
Oct 2, 2007, 09:53 PM
I have a close-to-launch unit (purchased 12-22-05) that is going strong, but not under it's own power.

This July I started getting the RRoD, and, lacking the $140 that MS was charging at that time, decided to fix it on my own for about $40. I put in a new fan, replaced the infamous X-clamps (Google it if you're confused), new thermal grease, etc.

That was of course the week before they announced the super-extended warranty. Grrrr... :mad::(:mad:

Anyway, since then it has been running flawlessly, including hours-long sessions of Gears of War and Halo 3.

Long story short [too late], I voted no, since I did not technically send it to MS.

sam10685
Oct 5, 2007, 11:43 PM
Haven't gotten one but this thread solidifies my decision-- NO. Don't want to deal with sending it back andstuff.

zelmo
Oct 6, 2007, 09:22 AM
I bought my 360 Premium around August of 2006, thinking that would keep me from splurging on the PS3 when it came out [it didn't work:p], and have had no problems with it yet. :knock:
When [apparently, 'if' isn't a viable option] it dies, I'll send it in for repairs, buy the Elite or whatever the top of the line version is at the time, then sell whatever MS sends back to me.

psychofreak
Oct 6, 2007, 09:24 AM
Mine was scratching disks when they didn't recognise it as a problem. I claimed it had the red-rings problem, and they took it away and fixed the disk scratching!

longofest
Oct 9, 2007, 05:06 PM

Granted, its only been a week and a half, but my new premium with HDMI has been running nice. It does run extremely hot though, so I make sure to take it out of the entertainment center and let it breathe in open air

Dagless
Oct 9, 2007, 05:45 PM
Out of curiosity how long is the return time in the US? It'll take 4 weeks for my friends 360 to return, dunno how much we should pay attention to this though (still waiting on our local 4 player Halo co-op game :o ).

infolc
Oct 10, 2007, 06:12 PM
I used 2 different Xbox 360, each for about year. both were ntsc-jp (from japan). never had a single problem. i had a crash or two. only red lights i had were once when av cable was unplugged :)

displaced
Oct 17, 2007, 06:25 PM
Mine RRoD'd 3 times, which was nice....

MS wouldn't touch it because I'd got it 'repaired' by a 3rd party. When it first broke MS were quoting 4-6 weeks for replacement with a refurb which apparently was no more 'fixed' than the previous system -- so I got a repair company to try to fix it.

Another repair under the company's warranty later and it lasted all of 2 weeks before dying again (90 mins into my first game of Halo 3).

So I bought the x-clamp fix for 5 from www.x-clamp-fix.de and repaired it myself. Been running fine for a while now. Woohoo!