PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Software Update and Drivers

MacRumors
Sep 26, 2007, 11:26 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacNN notes (http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/26/leopard.builds.hp.su/) that of the two remaining "issues" listed in the latest Mac OS X Leopard seed (9A559), one was simply a test case for a new feature.

Mac OS X Leopard 9A559 was released (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/21/apple-seeds-mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-9a559/) to developers last week and listed two "known issues".

The first was an issue with "Archive installs" from Tiger to Leopard on PowerPC machines, and appears to be a true outstanding issue. The second issue, however, asked users to deselect HP printers and allow Leopard to update the HP drivers post-install via Software Update.

MacNN spoke with HP and found that this is actually a feature that Apple was testing rather than any particular bug.
"Although listed in Apple’s last developer Leopard Seed Note as an 'Issue', the recommendation to use Apple’s software update process to install the HP driver set for the Leopard developer seed is actually a test scenario, not a driver problem or bug issue.
It seems that future Mac OS X printer driver updates may simply become available through Apple's Mac OS X software update mechanism. A more extensive version of this technology had been previously rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2003/01/19/apple-sw-update-for-3rd-parties/) with the idea that Apple would open up their Software Update to major 3rd party applications to allow them to push updates to users.

Apple's Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) is scheduled for release in October.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/27/mac-os-x-10-5-leopard-software-update-and-drivers/)

Naimfan
Sep 26, 2007, 11:27 PM
So Leopard might be closer than we think?

flopticalcube
Sep 26, 2007, 11:29 PM
C'mon, Steve. Gold master, gold master, gold master. Make an announcement soon!

nakile
Sep 26, 2007, 11:32 PM
I bet that October 19th is the release date. Sounds like it's almost ready. Not to mention that getting a program from gold status to the shelves is quite quick these days.

La Porta
Sep 26, 2007, 11:36 PM
3rd party update would be awesome. With the usual disclaimer, i'm sure, but it would be great! No more hunting for updates.

muttley1211
sounds very close :)

verniesgarden
I really like the idea of my 3rd party apps being all updated through software update. really streamline the updating process just have it look for new updates each night instead of having to wait for the update when you maybe need to use an app for just a few minutes

SAMTATSICPRO
Sep 26, 2007, 11:39 PM
I can't wait to go and buy it!!!! I just hope it's not like the last day of October.

RichP
Sep 26, 2007, 11:42 PM
I bet that October 19th is the release date. Sounds like it's almost ready. Not to mention that getting a program from gold status to the shelves is quite quick these days.

Or the 26th at the latest. Not all that far away!

hotdamn
Sep 26, 2007, 11:43 PM
I really like the idea of my 3rd party apps being all updated through software update. really streamline the updating process just have it look for new updates each night instead of having to wait for the update when you maybe need to use an app for just a few minutes

I also think this would be genius, instead of every random app telling you when it pleases so.

lord patton
Sep 26, 2007, 11:46 PM
having spent more time than I would like getting the HP laserjet 1020 to work with a MacBook, I say anything that helps HP get their act together is aok.

iMacZealot
Sep 26, 2007, 11:47 PM
Why are we kidding ourselves? It's going to come out second to last day of the month (30 october) just like iPhone. ;)

I just hope they can kink out the PowerPC problem. I definitely don't want all my data erased on all my PPC macs! :eek:

nigrunze
Sep 26, 2007, 11:53 PM
So I guess it'll be similar to most Linux distros in that nearly all programs will work with software update. This works quite well in Ubuntu and Apple Software Update is already quick, seamless and easy to use to update their first party apps. Hopefully someday Microsoft can fix it's update system to install 3 MB of updates in under 2 minutes. At least Windows Vista's Microsoft Update is a huge improvement over XP's. But that's off topic as I was talking about Apple Software Update.

3rd-party apps being updated in software update is a great idea.

KindredMAC
Sep 27, 2007, 12:00 AM
I don't like the Archive and Install issue with the PPC Macs.

That seems to me to be a huge warning sign.

Could give 2 ***** about some HP printer drivers....

Krevnik
Sep 27, 2007, 12:05 AM

Just because it isn't in the known issues list doesn't mean potentially big and frustrating issues don't exist.

BKKbill
Sep 27, 2007, 12:07 AM
Seems like I will be getting a nice shiny iMac soon. :)

ifjake
Sep 27, 2007, 12:13 AM
yeah.... i'm going to need you go ahead and come in on Sunday to fix the archive and install for PPC. yeah that'd be great.

nato64
Sep 27, 2007, 12:19 AM
9a559 has been extremely stable. I'm actually using it as my main OS and found it gold master-worthy. Especially now that the HP Printer thing isn't a bug at all.

compuguy1088
Sep 27, 2007, 12:19 AM
yeah.... i'm going to need you go ahead and come in on Sunday to fix the archive and install for PPC. yeah that'd be great.

Would you like a TPS report attached to that? :D

mduser63
Sep 27, 2007, 12:22 AM

Me too. FWIW, the next version of Sparkle is supposed to include a mechanism for centralized updates of all installed Sparkle-enabled apps. A very large number of shareware Mac apps (including mine) use Sparkle. Not quite as good as having everything in Software Update, but close.

They (obviously) need to kill the bug with archive and install on PPC machines. I'm likely to use that option on my PowerBook, while my iMac will see an upgrade install. I plan to do a clean install on my MacBook since it has hardly anything in the way of user data and installed apps anyway. The MacBook will probably also be the first machine to get Leopard.

Eidorian
Sep 27, 2007, 12:23 AM
'bout time.

I'd like to see how a third party handles pushing drivers. Hopefully they'll do a better job of optimizing and providing more recent ones.

chr1s60
Sep 27, 2007, 12:29 AM
From what I have heard it sounds like it would take about 3 weeks once Leopard went Gold this means that the earliest likely date is the week of the 22 or the week of the 29th. I am gonna guess it will be October 30th. Hopefully there will be an announcement next week saying it is ready and giving a release date.

Mgkwho
Sep 27, 2007, 12:29 AM
WHERE ARE THE TOP SECRET FEATURES??

-=|Mgkwho

kwong2006
Sep 27, 2007, 12:30 AM
To the Gold!

And after that, ZFS, true Res. independence, and Core Animation-driven OS!

SiliconAddict
Sep 27, 2007, 12:39 AM

-=|Mgkwho

You must have missed the announcement.
Every box comes with .001% of Steve's reality distortion field. Now you too can feel the warm glow of Steve's RDF in person.

acslater017
Sep 27, 2007, 12:42 AM
To the Gold!

And after that, ZFS, true Res. independence, and Core Animation-driven OS!

don't forget the "Illuminance" interface ;)

MacFly123
Sep 27, 2007, 12:44 AM
Well, since this is a Leopard thread can we ask some Leopard questions??? I would ask them in the latest build threads but all they like to do is post screen caps of system prefs and talk about cat names :mad:

What is the transition into FrontRow like now??? Is there one? Is it like the current disappearing desktop now?

Does iChat still have screen sharing??? I know it is in Finder, I want to know if it is still in iChat as well because the last screen shots I saw still had the button for it.

Could the Aqua scroll bars and buttons/sliders etc. still be replaced??? Does that take a while or is it pretty easily done? I will be really surprised if Apple leaves them in because as much as i LOVE Aqua, they really don't fit anymore with the other UI changes :(

DISCUSS PLEASE :D
:apple:

MacinDoc
Sep 27, 2007, 12:45 AM
Just because it isn't in the known issues list doesn't mean potentially big and frustrating issues don't exist.
If issues are unknown at this point, they won't be known until after the release. So they won't delay a release. However, anyone expecting a early release will be disappointed, because there is about a 1 month delay between GM and release.

bdkennedy1
Sep 27, 2007, 12:45 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't already gone gold. Any remaining issues can be fixed in the first update on the day it ships like with Tiger.

kwong2006
Sep 27, 2007, 12:47 AM
don't forget the "Illuminance" interface ;)

I forgot!

So, is it named Illuminance or Illuminati? My friend seems to think it is named Illuminati.

irun5k
Sep 27, 2007, 12:56 AM
I'm curious if iTunes still uses different scrollbars than every other application. It was always bizarre to me when they changed them in the first place... and I've been wondering when they'll fix it.

BillyShears
Sep 27, 2007, 01:07 AM
I forgot!

So, is it named Illuminance or Illuminati? My friend seems to think it is named Illuminati.

It was rumoured to be called Illuminous. (http://www.macrumors.com/2006/12/11/aqua-to-see-leopard-refresh/)

My guess is we've already seen this new "darker" look for OS X in the iPhone.

pimentoLoaf
Sep 27, 2007, 01:13 AM

Dang! I wanted to be the first with that comment! :mad::p

Mr.damien
Sep 27, 2007, 01:34 AM
I also think this would be genius, instead of every random app telling you when it pleases so.

Yeah, a genious idea .... I am waiting just 2 weeks before this thing get hacked a propose you to update your software on some hacker sites with rootkits, keyloggers and so on ...

Anonymous Freak
Sep 27, 2007, 01:39 AM
Could give 2 ***** about some HP printer drivers....

The point of this story is that the "borked HP drivers" weren't actually about HP drivers, they were about third party integration into Software Update. It could have been Canon drivers, or some random third party utility they had thrown into the latest Leopard release just to test this functionality. That 'brokenness' had nothing to do with HP at all. It had to do with Software Update. Picking the HP drivers was probably because printer drivers are one of the few true 'third party' things included with the OS itself. (Not counting things like open-source software included in the core OS, like CUPS, Apache, or GIMP-print.)

luminosity
Sep 27, 2007, 01:40 AM
What exactly is the rush to get Leopard, aside from the novelty of it?

Tiger is an outstanding OS, and is hardly riddled with bugs. It's far and away better than XP, and it's not like it's been six years since the last update. A year from now, Leopard will be on our systems, and a few months won't make any real difference.

treblah
Sep 27, 2007, 01:42 AM
What is the transition into FrontRow like now??? Is there one? Is it like the current disappearing desktop now?

A simple fade to black and FrontRow appears.

Anonymous Freak
Sep 27, 2007, 01:45 AM

Dang. I actually liked the 'spinning in from in front' effect, while the desktop fades as it slides backward. Does FrontRow fade in, or does it kind of 'pop' in completely formed after the fade to black?

Delicious-Apple
Sep 27, 2007, 01:47 AM

Tiger is an outstanding OS, and is hardly riddled with bugs. It's far and away better than XP, and it's not like it's been six years since the last update. A year from now, Leopard will be on our systems, and a few months won't make any real difference.

True indeed... but you get a rush of Innovation from the 3rd parties when you have great new developer features such as Core Animation. The Delicious-Gen Developers are going to have some really great apps and I cannot wait to empty my pockets for them.

Delicious-Library 2 should/will probably kick it all off. :)

Papajohn56
Sep 27, 2007, 01:55 AM
I forgot!

Lol is your friend a conspiracy theorist?

kainjow
Sep 27, 2007, 01:59 AM

While I do agree that it seems early in terms of Tiger's life span, Tiger still has major problems. One being the Finder. I'd consider it one of the worst apps built-in to Mac OS X. Leopard improves on this, significantly.

xUKHCx
Sep 27, 2007, 02:07 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if this hasn't already gone gold. Any remaining issues can be fixed in the first update on the day it ships like with Tiger.

Tiger wasn't updated on the first day, it was about 17 days before the first update according to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.4)

theBB
Sep 27, 2007, 02:10 AM
While I do agree that it seems early in terms of Tiger's life span, Tiger still has major problems. One being the Finder. I'd consider it one of the worst apps built-in to Mac OS X. Leopard improves on this, significantly.
Oh, I sure hope so. It annoys the hell out of me when icons flat out refuse to snap to the spot I want them or shift every other icon down or to the side.

MacFly123
Sep 27, 2007, 02:16 AM

Awwww BOOOOO :( One of the coolest things with Front Row was the transition. I know it sounds dumb, but it is a really good WOW factor when other people see your Mac. They should have kept it the same, just have the icons on the left spin in on the left side, and the menu bars on the right fade in at the same time. That would be much cooler!!!

Or have it like Time Machine but have the desktop wipe from bottum to top (instead of top top bottum) to reveal Front Row behind as the icons spin in on the left and the menu bars fade in on the right.

It's the cool little things like that that makes Apple's stuff so fun and exciting. A dull fade is disappointing, especially with the potential of Core Animation :(

theBB
Sep 27, 2007, 02:17 AM
By the way, there are certain apps that I definitely need to make sure works on Leopard before I can upgrade. Is there gonna be a reliable wiki page of some sort that list compatible apps?

Reach
Sep 27, 2007, 02:26 AM
I like that, if I can control what updates to check for.

Needless to say, I do NOT want every update form every printer, mouse and other gadgets manufacturer to pop up every day.

However, I want to be able to get updates to my Canon printer and Logitech mouse etc, if I actively choose it.

yetanotherdave
Sep 27, 2007, 02:27 AM
By the way, there are certain apps that I definitely need to make sure works on Leopard before I can upgrade. Is there gonna be a reliable wiki page of some sort that list compatible apps?

If its only a handful of apps it's probably easiest to look at their individual websites and wait for them to say 10.5.x compatible.

drayon
Sep 27, 2007, 02:46 AM
"Support for resolution independence, which has rudimentary support in Tiger and had been rumored to be arriving with full support in Leopard, remains no where to be found."

Sorry no deal!! I Expected this and Quartz 2D Extreme in Tiger, it never materialized either. Sorry no Money for u Apple hahaaha

Still waiting for Quartz 2D Extreme/Resolution Independence maybe another 2 years?

irun5k
Sep 27, 2007, 02:51 AM

I'm waiting on time machine, myself. Right now I do manual backups to my external HD when I think about it. Which isn't frequently enough. Instead of buying a 3rd party backup app, it makes much more sense to go ahead and upgrade and get a nice, well integrated backup utility.

Plus, I'm a Java developer, and I've been using the stale beta of Java 6 for a long time now. Java 6 went gold long ago on other platforms. Many Java guys are starting to feel like Apple has forgotten about us. But, I guess a lot of people feel that way right about now. The iPhone really stole the show this year. Anyway, Apple hasn't really commented on the state of their Java 6 implementation but almost everyone thinks it will ship with Leopard.

nato64
Sep 27, 2007, 03:25 AM

-=|Mgkwho

You're kidding right? Did you miss this year's WWDC? Those where the features. New desktop, dock, QuickLook, ect.

nato64
Sep 27, 2007, 03:28 AM
Well, since this is a Leopard thread can we ask some Leopard questions??? I would ask them in the latest build threads but all they like to do is post screen caps of system prefs and talk about cat names :mad:

Does iChat still have screen sharing??? I know it is in Finder, I want to know if it is still in iChat as well because the last screen shots I saw still had the button for it.

Could the Aqua scroll bars and buttons/sliders etc. still be replaced??? Does that take a while or is it pretty easily done? I will be really surprised if Apple leaves them in because as much as i LOVE Aqua, they really don't fit anymore with the other UI changes :(

DISCUSS PLEASE :D
:apple:

The Front Row transition is to/from black.

iChat still has screen sharing.

The Aqua scroll bars could VERY easily be replaced. I bet in the next build they will be along with being a release candidate.

[nate]

mdriftmeyer
Sep 27, 2007, 03:31 AM

XCode 3.0/ObjC2.0 and much more. POSIX 64bit UNIX and much more.

redgaz26
Sep 27, 2007, 03:39 AM
only had my mac since tiger so never updated the OS, is it straightforward?
is it better to move all my stuff on to my external hard drive and do a complete reinstall?
or are all your files kept on the mac while 10.5 installs?

Can
Sep 27, 2007, 03:49 AM
is it better to move all my stuff on to my external hard drive and do a complete reinstall?

No need for complete re-install. Apple is easy like that ;)

Edit: So, you get all your files, all your contacts in adress book, all your pictures, all your movives etc etc. Just a better OS as well !
Edit 2: And yes, it is straightforward. I will assume you use around 30 minutes on the whole installation process.

twoodcc
Sep 27, 2007, 04:03 AM

it appears that way.

davidlt
Sep 27, 2007, 05:46 AM
Talking about HP 1020 (LaserJet) printer, use 1022 drivers which supports all printres from 102#.

sobitte
Sep 27, 2007, 05:51 AM
Leopard works nice, but I miss any NEF-Support(Nikon RAW Format).

It didn't work in finder or preview neither in Aperture. Anyone out there with the same problem?

Stridder44
Sep 27, 2007, 05:52 AM

Updating your OS is always a terrible idea. Always do a fresh install. Move any important data/info off your main HD (burn to a cd or something) and do a complete reformat and fresh install.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 27, 2007, 06:11 AM

I've found that Tiger is more unstable then XP... So I'm hoping 10.5 will fix this

CJM
Sep 27, 2007, 06:12 AM
Updating your OS is always a terrible idea. Always do a fresh install. Move any important data/info off your main HD (burn to a cd or something) and do a complete reformat and fresh install.

Oh really? What makes you say that?

Why would anyone follow such a drastic notion without worthy explanation?

I'll stick to updating.

MrCrowbar
Sep 27, 2007, 06:46 AM

I'll stick to updating.

I suggest archive and install, although that takes some time to complete.

The thing is, power users have lots of 3rd party, often open source apps and system tweaking tools installed that don't work with the new OS. Libraries can get mixed up. Or worse, it could seriously corrupt your system. I'd suggest you make a full backup of your existing system. You can do this by booting from your tiger instalation disk and run disk utility from the DVD (instead of installing Tiger again). You can make a bootable copy of your Macintosh HD on your external drive this way. I usually use the backup feature of iCal and Adress book since those 2 contain very valuable data for me. Also my user library (the on in the home folder) as it contains my e-Mail library. Then comes documents and pictures folders.

Then, install leopard on your Mac after formating the drive. Then connect your Tiger Backup drive and copy the files into your leopard folders, i.e. drag and drop the contents of your backed up documents into Leopard's documents folder. You can do this with most other data, but don't copy the library over without knowing what you're doing. Finally drag and drop your iCal and adress book backups onto the Leopard applications. I don't know how it works with Mail though. I like keeping the e-Mails of 2 years worth around but I don't know if I can just copy /user/library/Mail over to Leopard and have all my mails and settings in Leopard.

PS: You will notice how much free space you will have because you only copied the necessary data and not the junk you downloaded and did not remember to delete.

AJClayton
Sep 27, 2007, 06:48 AM

I'll stick to updating.

I did an archive and install when upgrading from Panther to Tiger and had no problems at all. I had waited until (I think it was) 10.4.3 before doing so, though.

Since buying a Mac Pro in April I've been having a pretty good hack around including at a Unix level and so am tempted to backup my stuff to a USB drive and then wipe clean and install. This is nothing to do with Apple, though, more to do with any damage I may have done myself!! :rolleyes:

I guess the recommendation would be that if you can spare the extra time then a wipe/install is not a bad thing to do, but if you can't be bothered then an archive/install has worked well in the past. Bear in the mind that this is Apple we're talking about and not M$ so switchers should just relax and not think that everything will go horribly wrong - it usually doesn't on the Mac :)

Stella
Sep 27, 2007, 06:53 AM

I'll stick to updating.

I think its generally recommended to do a complete reinstall rather than an upgrade. You are more likely to run into more problems.

Archive and install takes longer, but less hassle in the long run.

I did an upgrade - I think for 10.2 to 10.3 and there were plenty of problems, so from then, it was always archive and install instead. No problems. Also, there may be some old files left behind that you no longer need cluttering your hard disc.

Manic Mouse
Sep 27, 2007, 07:02 AM
I think its generally recommended to do a complete reinstall rather than an upgrade. You are more likely to run into more problems.

Archive and install takes longer, but less hassle in the long run.

I did an upgrade - I think for 10.2 to 10.3 and there were plenty of problems, so from then, it was always archive and install instead. No problems. Also, there may be some old files left behind that you no longer need cluttering your hard disc.

What, exactly, does archive and install do? Do you have to manually replace everything from the archive? And does it replace everything (including apps and system prefs)? If it replaces everything then why is it different than a simple upgrade?

I'm really confused be the difference between simple upgrading and archiving and installing.

john7jr
Sep 27, 2007, 07:06 AM
I think its generally recommended to do a complete reinstall rather than an upgrade.

Not anymore. 10.5's default behavior is to upgrade.

Stella
Sep 27, 2007, 07:12 AM
It archives your installation of just OSX ( move it to a different location ) and installs a completely fresh copy of OSX. So, its like a new install except your existing OSX installation is backed up.

It is then up to you to copy any configuration plist / other files as needed.

What, exactly, does archive and install do? Do you have to manually replace everything from the archive? And does it replace everything (including apps and system prefs)? If it replaces everything then why is it different than a simple upgrade?

I'm really confused be the difference between simple upgrading and archiving and installing.

Not anymore. 10.5's default behavior is to upgrade.

I don't trust upgrading - too many old files etc - there will always be problems with it. I think I'll stick to archive and install :-)

glennyboiwpg
Sep 27, 2007, 07:13 AM
C'mon, Steve. Gold master, gold master, gold master. Make an announcement soon!

Sorry, Steve Jobs is pulling leopard developers to work on iPhone 2.0 and the iphone nano, and leopard won't be ready until feburary 2000Never.

glennyboiwpg
Sep 27, 2007, 07:16 AM

I'll stick to updating.

Fresh installs has always been a "good idea" in the PC world. If you ever needed to fix a problem with windows, you would format your computer and reinstall the OS. So when you would have a OS upgrade, why not format and do a clean install... as you were sure there was probably an OS problem lerking around in there anyway.

barakthecat
Sep 27, 2007, 07:35 AM
As I type this on my TiBook that has been upgraded from 9.1 to 10.0 beta, to 10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 with nary a problem . . . :rolleyes:

pagansoul
Sep 27, 2007, 07:44 AM
I have MacPro and I have always kept my 4 HDs as seperate entities. This month I have been moving all my stuff to either external HDs (iTunes has over 250GB of LL music) or the other drives. The only thing I'm worried about is Parallels. It would be a pain to load that back on again but I don't have much on it, only a few card games and Webshots. I knew this was going to happen so didn't put much in my VPC and still have most of my PC junk on my old Gateway.

Taylor C
Sep 27, 2007, 07:48 AM
Sorry, Steve Jobs is pulling leopard developers to work on iPhone 2.0 and the iphone nano, and leopard won't be ready until feburary 2000Never.

Comments like this are pointless. Apple obviously had their bets in the right place with iPhone, so I'm not angry at all that resources were borrowed from Leopard's development.

redgaz26
Sep 27, 2007, 07:54 AM

so many different views on this. if you do an archive and install does that not take up alot of space on the hard drive?
i'm thinking of putting everything i need ie pictures, movies, music on my external drive then doing a clean install, then putting everything back wipe my external clean and then let time machine do it's thing!
advisable?

Stella
Sep 27, 2007, 08:07 AM
so many different views on this. if you do an archive and install does that not take up alot of space on the hard drive?
i'm thinking of putting everything i need ie pictures, movies, music on my external drive then doing a clean install, then putting everything back wipe my external clean and then let time machine do it's thing!
advisable?

You can remove the archives when your happy with the installation, so its not that much of a big deal - if you've got the space disc space. It would take a few gigs for the existing OSX installation, and I think it archives your /Users directory ( I'm can't remember ).

spookje
Sep 27, 2007, 08:08 AM
Haha! Tiger stable. Even the desktop is buggy. Showing wrong item info, and every once in a while its eager to rearrange all the icons so you can resort them. Really annoying. Can't believe they haven't fixed that yet...

SilverHandprint
Sep 27, 2007, 08:19 AM
How long does it typically take before Apple begins to sell computers with the new OS installed after the retail copy reaches stores?

kwong2006
Sep 27, 2007, 08:20 AM

Apple can't delay Leopard anymore, unless they make an announcement right now that they are pulling out of the computer business entirely, never to return. This is unlikely, considering Apple makes good money on computers.

GTiPhone
Sep 27, 2007, 08:31 AM
Anyone else feel that the version of Leopard that ships is going to be full of bugs and incompatiblities?

overcast
Sep 27, 2007, 08:34 AM
Anyone else feel that the version of Leopard that ships is going to be full of bugs and incompatiblities?
Based on what exactly? Have you used ANY of the developer seeds?

glennyboiwpg
Sep 27, 2007, 08:39 AM
Comments like this are pointless. Apple obviously had their bets in the right place with iPhone, so I'm not angry at all that resources were borrowed from Leopard's development.

parhaps... but leopard isn't here yet... I wouldn't be surprised that we had another delay thanks to steve's new toy.

And I can't even buy it cause i'm in canada. (Steve hates us up here)

RRK
Sep 27, 2007, 08:41 AM
I am surprised no one recommended to use Apple's Backup application and then clean install. I have done clean installs on the .1, .2, etc. and updates on most of the .1.1 type updates.

guzhogi
Sep 27, 2007, 09:20 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Sorry if this was asked already, but does this support networked HP printers? From the article, it seemed like it's only USB connected HP printers. We have a few networked HP laserjets where I work and would be a shame if the Macs on our network can't update their drivers just b/c they're networked. I'm also tired of having to use generic postscript drivers for them, too.

Stella
Sep 27, 2007, 09:25 AM
I am surprised no one recommended to use Apple's Backup application and then clean install. I have done clean installs on the .1, .2, etc. and updates on most of the .1.1 type updates.

Or, if your not a .Mac subscriber ( or even if you are ) - Carbon Copy is an excellent backup application.

0racle
Sep 27, 2007, 09:27 AM
Man, I was sort of hoping that Leopard was going to be released on Oct 9 since I'll probably be near an Apple store that day anyway.

Oct 23 would probably work for me too.

I don't really want to have to make a special trip just to get Leopard, but I will if I have to.

Taylor C
Sep 27, 2007, 09:29 AM
SuperDuper! Is great too.

pgwalsh
Sep 27, 2007, 09:31 AM
having spent more time than I would like getting the HP laserjet 1020 to work with a MacBook, I say anything that helps HP get their act together is aok.
That sucks. I bought the Xerox 6180 color laser printer and it worked without installing a single drive. However, I it's also a network printer.

bananas
Sep 27, 2007, 09:33 AM

Yes.
Leopard is an agile and graceful predator, known to catch you by surprise.
:D

main chochacho
Sep 27, 2007, 09:34 AM
How long does it typically take before Apple begins to sell computers with the new OS installed after the retail copy reaches stores?

Immediately.

Any machines left in the retail channel without Leopard will have upgrade discs dropped in the packaging.

Whistleway
Sep 27, 2007, 09:45 AM
"Support for resolution independence, which has rudimentary support in Tiger and had been rumored to be arriving with full support in Leopard, remains no where to be found."

Sorry no deal!! I Expected this and Quartz 2D Extreme in Tiger, it never materialized either. Sorry no Money for u Apple hahaaha

Still waiting for Quartz 2D Extreme/Resolution Independence maybe another 2 years?

What? No Resolution independence? Are you sure??

milo
Sep 27, 2007, 09:49 AM
parhaps... but leopard isn't here yet... I wouldn't be surprised that we had another delay thanks to steve's new toy.

No chance, based on the current buglist, it sounds like they would be fine shipping it with the build they already have (and fixing any problems in software update as soon as it ships).

Quit being a whiner just 'cause you can't get an iPhone outside the US.

kwong2006
Sep 27, 2007, 09:54 AM

And I can't even buy it cause i'm in canada. (Steve hates us up here)

They cannot delay Leopard anymore because it will hurt Apple's core business a lot. Stock prices will fall because of that. Also, with reports that there is only 1 issue, this is certainly GM-likely. They will not delay this solely because of 1 issue, something that can be easily fixed in an update!

If in the event there is no more issues (which I assume is the status now), why would Apple stash something that is already done in their vault, instead of selling it to make $$$?

kwong2006
Sep 27, 2007, 09:56 AM
Man, I was sort of hoping that Leopard was going to be released on Oct 9 since I'll probably be near an Apple store that day anyway.

Oct 23 would probably work for me too.

I don't really want to have to make a special trip just to get Leopard, but I will if I have to.

Online store, anyone?

notjustjay
Sep 27, 2007, 10:03 AM

It's also not as clear-cut as the comment appears to be. It's not like Steve knocked on the door of the Leopard development group and said, "Sorry for interrupting, I know you guys are real busy working on the OS but we need some help over here for the iPhone...".

We didn't know about the iPod Touch at the time, but now we do, and there are even rumors of other touchpad/tablet/PDA devices in the works.

Clearly Apple is developing (has developed) an entire new platform of embedded devices based on a mobile version of Leopard. When they "borrowed resources" from the Leopard team, those people probably worked on this "Leopard Lite" OS more than anything else. They probably never actually "left" the Leopard development project, just worked on a few features that were key to the release of the iPhone/iPod Touch but had no visible impact on the development of the desktop Leopard.

sgd88
Sep 27, 2007, 10:05 AM
I had my mac stolen a few weeks ago and it was insured. I am wondering whether it is worth waiting for the release of leopard and getting leopard free or whether I should just get the mac now.

Opinions?

GoodWatch
Sep 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
Fresh installs has always been a "good idea" in the PC world. If you ever needed to fix a problem with windows, you would format your computer and reinstall the OS. So when you would have a OS upgrade, why not format and do a clean install... as you were sure there was probably an OS problem lerking around in there anyway.

That was before the advent of programs like Acro***, that make real-time drive snapshots in the background and let you do bare metal restores if necessary. And even let you go back in time. I’ve always found the System Restore option limited and too much dependent on the OS itself. Programs like Acro*** work outside the OS.

Ben Logan
Sep 27, 2007, 10:30 AM
Awwww BOOOOO :( One of the coolest things with Front Row was the transition. I know it sounds dumb, but it is a really good WOW factor when other people see your Mac. They should have kept it the same, just have the icons on the left spin in on the left side, and the menu bars on the right fade in at the same time. That would be much cooler!!!

Or have it like Time Machine but have the desktop wipe from bottum to top (instead of top top bottum) to reveal Front Row behind as the icons spin in on the left and the menu bars fade in on the right.

It's the cool little things like that that makes Apple's stuff so fun and exciting. A dull fade is disappointing, especially with the potential of Core Animation :(

+1

I'll miss that effect. Sometimes I'll launch front row just to enjoy the scooting back of the desktop while the icons spin into view.

Fade to black....booooorring...

pohl
Sep 27, 2007, 10:41 AM

-=|Mgkwho

What if allowing 3rd-party pushing of drivers is a top-secret feature? This could be a prelude to a beige-box invasion! :eek:

shawnce
Sep 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
What? No Resolution independence? Are you sure??

It exists and Apple has given guidance on it... that is all I will say.

TheChemist
Sep 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
Online store, anyone?

it's my only option. The apple store here does not honor educational discounts on software, only on hardware.

oceanmonster
Sep 27, 2007, 10:48 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

Does anyone know if you have boot camp if the windows pArtition will be effected in the update?
Would it be wise to
remove the vista partition
and reinstall after leopard?

Eidorian
Sep 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

Does anyone know if you have boot camp if the windows pArtition will be effected in the update?
Would it be wise to
remove the vista partition
and reinstall after leopard?You don't need to remove Windows.

0racle
Sep 27, 2007, 11:00 AM
Online store, anyone?

Then I have to wait for it to be shipped.

easye1161
Sep 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
Is anyone else having problems with Front Row using the Apple remote? When I press the menu button, Front Row appears as it should, but then I can only use the keyboard to navigate once it's open. The up and down arrows only control sound and the play and menu buttons do nothing.

dr_lha
Sep 27, 2007, 11:17 AM
I've always upgraded with no issues. My 12" PB has made the transition from Jaguar -> Panther -> Tiger with no issues.

If you really worried I'd recommend an Archive and Install.

Of course a full backup is recommended before upgrading, I would recommend using something like Carbon Copy Cloner for example.

Cloudsurfer
Sep 27, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm going for a clean install. I always like to start off a fresh slate with a new OS.

Siemova
Sep 27, 2007, 11:26 AM
+1

I'll miss that effect. Sometimes I'll launch front row just to enjoy the scooting back of the desktop while the icons spin into view.

Fade to black....booooorring...

Yarr. But I think they should have red stage curtains close in from either side, then open to reveal Front Row. :p

FWIW, I too have always updated my OS (through major and minor revisions since Mac OS 6) with no problems, despite having installed all sorts of "power user" paraphernalia. Ironically, the only updating problem I've ever had was with that dinky little update for 9a527 a couple weeks ago, which killed my Finder. :rolleyes: But then, that was using a beta - no such issues with official releases for me.

macuser101
Sep 27, 2007, 11:48 AM
Does any one think that Apple intentionally put in the need to use Software Update so that all users of the Leopard Beta would then send their use of it in to Apple, where they could check for who had a registered copy of the beta and who did not? I have heard reports of people using pirated copies and then getting cease AND desist letters from Apple via their ISP. Not sure if they are being "discovered" from using Software Update or they're being found on the P2P file sharing software... Scary either way.

Siemova
Sep 27, 2007, 12:00 PM
macuser101, as I understand it they're not requiring developers to use Software Update; they're just asking them to for testing purposes. So no, I doubt that's their reason.

aranhamo
Sep 27, 2007, 12:00 PM
I've always upgraded with no issues. My 12" PB has made the transition from Jaguar -> Panther -> Tiger with no issues.

If you really worried I'd recommend an Archive and Install.

Of course a full backup is recommended before upgrading, I would recommend using something like Carbon Copy Cloner for example.

Me too. I always make a backup before updating, and then I just run a regular update. I've never had any problems and have never needed to go back to my backup.

jf8
Sep 27, 2007, 12:03 PM
So I guess it'll be similar to most Linux distros in that nearly all programs will work with software update. This works quite well in Ubuntu and Apple Software Update is already quick, seamless and easy to use to update their first party apps. Hopefully someday Microsoft can fix it's update system to install 3 MB of updates in under 2 minutes. At least Windows Vista's Microsoft Update is a huge improvement over XP's. But that's off topic as I was talking about Apple Software Update.

3rd-party apps being updated in software update is a great idea.

It's handled different in Linux. All the software is open source, so unless a user adds another repository, software is compiled and distributed by the distribution vendor itself, not by those who wrote/maintain the actual software. The update mechanism in Ubuntu is the same as the installation mechanism.

In Microsoft's defense, Windows Update also offers driver updates for lots of hardware, which requires more time to compile & upload data...

projectle
Sep 27, 2007, 12:06 PM
They get the IPs from file sharing networks.

TurboSC
Sep 27, 2007, 12:16 PM
I Can't wait. this is going to be amazing... I want to just freakin' break down and get a macbookpro too... ugh... must... be... patient...

BTW
Sep 27, 2007, 12:16 PM
3rd party update would be awesome. With the usual disclaimer, i'm sure, but it would be great! No more hunting for updates.

Most definitely! Get all the printer manufacturers on board. :)

Fabio_gsilva
Sep 27, 2007, 12:32 PM
I'm going for a clean install. I always like to start off a fresh slate with a new OS.

Agreed. Feel like the beginning of a new age or something...

NeedsNoName
Sep 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
I got another problem with the latest build. Aperture won't open CR2-files, saying 'file format is not supported'. JPEG is not a problem.

Other than that, I'm ready for Gold!:D

wrldwzrd89
Sep 27, 2007, 12:42 PM
That Archive and Install issue on PowerPC Macs does affect me, as I have a PowerPC iMac. I also have a MacBook Pro. I hope it gets fixed before too long, so a Gold Master build can be declared and production started.

Regarding the Software Update rumor, it's an interesting one, but we'll have to wait and see just how open it is. I like the idea of enabling printer driver updates in Software Update.

guzhogi
Sep 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
Most definitely! Get all the printer manufacturers on board. :)

Same here. Something that would be cool is if Apple made a single app that had software updates, installer & deinstaller all in one that works w/ 3rd party software. One (of the very few) things I like about Windows is the deinstall app. It helps delete all components of an app. While many, if not most Mac apps are self contained, some add stuff in the Library -> Application Support folder, & prefs.

In this app, you can even update 3rd party apps. I know some apps put a receipt into Library -> Receipts or something which could tell where to get updates from. This file could also hold the default icons for that app (who likes seeing generic icons?), proper file permissions, as well as Spotlight & Quicklook plug-ins.

theGAPkid
Sep 27, 2007, 12:47 PM
Just a quick question,
If I wait until Leopard release to buy a Mac, persumably it would come preinstalled on the system so there would be no need for discs -

What would happen if I needed to reinstall OSX from scratch? Would this be possible? I know I can do it on my current windows machine, just wandering what alt. there are with a mac? :apple:

Cheers :)

flopticalcube
Sep 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
Just a quick question,
If I wait until Leopard release to buy a Mac, persumably it would come preinstalled on the system so there would be no need for discs -

What would happen if I needed to reinstall OSX from scratch? Would this be possible? I know I can do it on my current windows machine, just wandering what alt. there are with a mac? :apple:

Cheers :)

Yes. They will ship the disks as well as installing it.

theGAPkid
Sep 27, 2007, 12:50 PM

Ah brilliant. I can remember when I got my current system there were no discs with it and I was petrified that if anything ever went wrong Id be stuffed.

theres another reason added to the list for me to get apple!!

wrldwzrd89
Sep 27, 2007, 12:51 PM
Same here. Something that would be cool is if Apple made a single app that had software updates, installer & deinstaller all in one that works w/ 3rd party software. One (of the very few) things I like about Windows is the deinstall app. It helps delete all components of an app. While many, if not most Mac apps are self contained, some add stuff in the Library -> Application Support folder, & prefs.

In this app, you can even update 3rd party apps. I know some apps put a receipt into Library -> Receipts or something which could tell where to get updates from. This file could also hold the default icons for that app (who likes seeing generic icons?), proper file permissions, as well as Spotlight & Quicklook plug-ins.
As it turns out, the receipt files already DO contain the proper file permissions for everything that was installed, and also currently contain enough information to uninstall the application, should that capability be added to a future version of Apple's Installer. Spotlight plugins (and I assume QuickLook plugins as well) already have a pre-defined storage location (I don't know exactly what this is but I know it exists). I could imagine the receipt format being extended to include update source info.

Default icons and stuff like that are stored in the application package itself, so there's no need to put them in the receipt.

harryisda
Sep 27, 2007, 01:10 PM
9a559 has been extremely stable. I'm actually using it as my main OS and found it gold master-worthy. Especially now that the HP Printer thing isn't a bug at all.

Are you using every feature in leopard cause I find the version previous to 9a559 much more stable then 9a559. iDisk wont sync, iCal wont delete to do's, mail wont delete to do's, unlocking and locking files is an issue, time machine doesn't work. Its like they broke the os with 9a559. This is all a fresh install, reformat and everything. Anyone else out there have this problem?

Oh and one more thing 9a559 takes my network down with 100,000 plus attempts to login to a server as guest every hour.

8mb downline is halted to 300k, when I turn off my mac everything comes back to life

morespce54
Sep 27, 2007, 01:11 PM

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Unless you have serious issues (or lag or misconfig pref files), I would recommend to do an archive and install. Of course, it's always a good idea to make your own backup prior to updating (if you can afford that).

Also, if you bought your Mac with (lets say) Tiger, doing a complete reformat will make you loose all iApps and stuff that came with your install CD... One could always try to re-install that but I found it's a pain in the neck... :(

anyway, just my 2¢! ;)

Freecity88
Sep 27, 2007, 01:30 PM
Do I have to pay extra money for the new OSX 10.5 Leopard when I buy a new Mac? Thx!

wrldwzrd89
Sep 27, 2007, 01:52 PM
Do I have to pay extra money for the new OSX 10.5 Leopard when I buy a new Mac? Thx!
Generally, no, assuming you buy your Mac after the official release of Leopard. The discs will come with your new Mac for free.

guzhogi
Sep 27, 2007, 02:04 PM
As it turns out, the receipt files already DO contain the proper file permissions for everything that was installed, and also currently contain enough information to uninstall the application, should that capability be added to a future version of Apple's Installer. Spotlight plugins (and I assume QuickLook plugins as well) already have a pre-defined storage location (I don't know exactly what this is but I know it exists). I could imagine the receipt format being extended to include update source info.

Default icons and stuff like that are stored in the application package itself, so there's no need to put them in the receipt.

Yeah, I knew this. What I meant was having all these separate things in a single file. And for the Spotlight/Quicklook plug-ins & default icons, it would be easier to have in a single file and download it, even if you don't have the app itself.

I've also tinkered w/ programming (I'm terrible at it, though), I found this one framework called Sparkle. It lets developers add update functionality to a program. Pretty cool. What I'd like to see is a single software update thing that updates ALL software on your computer. Would really help. For 3rd party apps, the software can add a thing to its receipt or where ever that tells Software Update where to look for updates.

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 02:07 PM
What I'd like to see is a single software update thing that updates ALL software on your computer. Would really help. For 3rd party apps, the software can add a thing to its receipt or where ever that tells Software Update where to look for updates.

This (http://osx.iusethis.com/app/macfreewareupdate) is a half-way point :)

guzhogi
Sep 27, 2007, 02:10 PM
This (http://osx.iusethis.com/app/macfreewareupdate) is a half-way point :)

Thanks for the heads up!

aranhamo
Sep 27, 2007, 02:39 PM
One (of the very few) things I like about Windows is the deinstall app. It helps delete all components of an app.

Yeah, name one Windows app where this actually works. I've worked a lot in build management, including writing installs and managing third-party installs, and I've never seen a Windows application where the uninstall actually cleanly removed all its files and registry entries. Most developers only use the default functionality in the uninstaller, ignoring the fact that there are lots of things that the uninstaller won't remove unless you specifically write that code into the uninstall script. Microsoft itself is the very worst offender; most of their apps won't even reinstall without the user going in and manually removing files and registry keys that their uninstallers left behind.

AND, on top of that, any application could easily circumvent any install/uninstall paradigm in place. There are all kinds of applications on Windows that never show up in the Add/Remove Programs list because they simply decided not to use Microsoft's install engine.

I wish people would stop expecting OS vendors to take responsibility for install and uninstall (which is literally impossible to do in a comprehensive way), and put the responsibility on the shoulders of the application developers where it belongs. Application developers should be held responsible for providing uninstall mechanisms for their own applications.

iBunny
Sep 27, 2007, 02:49 PM
I can’t wait for leopard either. I hope that it utilizes Intel Processors and the whole architecture as a whole much better.

I also am hoping for increased multi processor support, as well as utilize more than 4GB of memory. I know that is supports more than 4GB of memory, but I want it to use it effectively.

Jim Campbell
Sep 27, 2007, 02:52 PM
I got another problem with the latest build.

Does anyone know whether Leopard fixes the Airport bug from 10.4.10 that's still afflicting some of our MacBooks?

Cheers!

Jim

seashellz
Sep 27, 2007, 03:00 PM
I want it badly too-but when it is stable and finished-even if that means Dec 31-so be it.
People must remember APPLE dropping the ball-or snatching defeat from the jaws of victory with the debacle at Panthers launch.Since it didnt effect me-I dont recall the details other than my thinking: "What a dumb PR gaffe" after all the hype surrounding the release-I think it was a USB problem-that should have been caught before it went out the door.

mountainbiker80
Sep 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know whether Leopard fixes the Airport bug from 10.4.10 that's still afflicting some of our MacBooks?

Cheers!

Jim

HA! Not even close. 9A527 was not so bad, but my MacBook on 9A599 is horrific. I wish I could go into detail!

MacFly123
Sep 27, 2007, 05:42 PM
The Front Row transition is to/from black.

iChat still has screen sharing.

The Aqua scroll bars could VERY easily be replaced. I bet in the next build they will be along with being a release candidate.

[nate]

iChat still has screen sharing??? :D YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH, I'm trusting you are absolutely positive. iChat screen sharing is something I would use ALL THE TIME with anyone online, but screen sharing in Finder is something I would almost NEVER use with someone that has to be on a network with you. VERY VERY VERY good news :)

A LOT of people have been wondering about this!

nutmac
Sep 27, 2007, 10:33 PM
Leopard works nice, but I miss any NEF-Support(Nikon RAW Format).

It didn't work in finder or preview neither in Aperture. Anyone out there with the same problem?

Canon RAW is also missing. What a bummer... previous build had it.

Aperture
Sep 27, 2007, 10:35 PM
iChat still has screen sharing??? :D YYYEEEEAAAAAAHHHHH, I'm trusting you are absolutely positive. iChat screen sharing is something I would use ALL THE TIME with anyone online, but screen sharing in Finder is something I would almost NEVER use with someone that has to be on a network with you. VERY VERY VERY good news :)

A LOT of people have been wondering about this!

Yeah, I am really happy it is in iChat, too. There have been countless times I've wanted to help someone online and VNC is too much trouble to setup.

I can't wait!

sobitte
Sep 28, 2007, 12:44 AM
Canon RAW is also missing. What a bummer... previous build had it.

Thanks for the reply. I think 9a559 couldn't be the Golden Master.

Jim Campbell
Sep 28, 2007, 02:16 AM
HA! Not even close. 9A527 was not so bad, but my MacBook on 9A599 is horrific. I wish I could go into detail!

Mmm. Well, that's pants,then. So ... here I sit with a piece of hardware less than six months old, unable to install 10.4.10 or (as it presently stands) move up to 10.5 because my laptop will lose all wireless connectivity.

Somewhat defeats the point of having a portable computer if you can't actually move it around and still be able to use it, no?

I appreciate that it's a very small number of users who were forced to roll back to 10.4.9 because the Airport 004-2007 update didn't fix the problem, but we are still here and I would like to be able to update my system without it breaking my damn wireless internet.

Bah!

Jim

phytonix
Sep 28, 2007, 04:32 PM
You're kidding right? Did you miss this year's WWDC? Those where the features. New desktop, dock, QuickLook, ect.

Well those are nice. But why do those needs to be top secrets? Maybe because Apple has nothing to offer?

Thertel88
Sep 30, 2007, 11:44 AM
i guess leopard isnt going gold master this weekend

Krevnik
Sep 30, 2007, 12:24 PM
i guess leopard isnt going gold master this weekend

I would just be happy if the nVidia drivers stopped hanging.

hollerz
Sep 30, 2007, 12:26 PM
Well those are nice. But why do those needs to be top secrets? Maybe because Apple has nothing to offer?

wtf.

Luap
Sep 30, 2007, 12:26 PM

Agreed. But im in the ATI camp on that issue.

psychofreak
Sep 30, 2007, 12:27 PM

I wish I had those problems! My GMA950 can't really do anything...

bj3949
Sep 30, 2007, 02:28 PM
I am a developer for Apple and I can tell you that the latest build of 9A599 is solid as hell.

Only issue I noticed was a PhotoBooth graphic error and I'm not a perfectly happy with the way Fans and Grids work. Needs improvement by staying away from boring Finder as much as possible.

Nice job Apple.

Brianstorm91
Sep 30, 2007, 02:41 PM
I am a developer for Apple and I can tell you that the latest build of 9A599 is solid as hell.

Only issue I noticed was a PhotoBooth graphic error and I'm not a perfectly happy with the way Fans and Grids work. Needs improvement by staying away from boring Finder as much as possible.

Nice job Apple.

Okay when's it shipping?

:D

psychofreak
Sep 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
Okay when's it shipping?
I guess about the 20th...just to keep us on our toes...

Alloye
Sep 30, 2007, 05:10 PM

Nice job Apple.

Did you mean 9A559? If so, then I'll agree it's a pretty good build from a stability point of view. While not quite release quality, I think it's close enough that Apple could have sorted out the remaining issues over the past week.

bj3949
Sep 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
I meant 9A559

sorry

sobitte
Oct 1, 2007, 01:03 PM
I meant 9A559

sorry

I read that it isn't possible to send and receive sms via addresbook and the RAW foto support is away. It might be stable, but it's a little bit confuse that this things are gone which were since months or years integrated.

reckless_0001
Oct 1, 2007, 02:13 PM
Yay! It's October now. Hopefully we don't have to wait until the end of the month to get our hands on Leopard. :)

psychofreak
Oct 1, 2007, 02:24 PM
Yay! It's October now. Hopefully we don't have to wait until the end of the month to get our hands on Leopard. :)

Yay! I can't wait...

macinthebox-nan
Oct 2, 2007, 05:22 PM
:)ooh screen share in ichat...oooo...aaaah:)

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 05:23 PM
:)ooh screen share in ichat...oooo...aaaah:)LogMeIn is great for now...

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 2, 2007, 05:29 PM
The real question should be when are they going to link Leopard to new computer sales.:confused:

Yukon Bear
Oct 2, 2007, 08:21 PM
I know this a Leopard thread but there are all these Tiger posts...I would think there must be a fixable problem with your system if 10.4.10 is buggy on your Mac.

I had trouble with 10.4.3, 10.4.4 and 10.4.8 but it was never anything note worthy. For the most part Tiger "for me" has been the most stable OS I have ever used. Way better than any MS product i have had to use at work.