PDA

View Full Version : iWork '08: Keynote 4.0.1, Pages 3.0.1 and Numbers 1.0.1

MacRumors
Sep 27, 2007, 03:31 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released a number of updates to their iWork '08 suite including:

Numbers 1.0.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/numbers101.html)
This update primarily addresses issues with tables and performance.

Pages 3.0.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/pages301.html)
This update primarily addresses issues with change tracking and performance.

Keynote 4.0.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/keynote401.html)
This update primarily addresses issues with builds and performance.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/27/iwork-08-keynote-4-0-1-pages-3-0-1-and-numbers-1-0-1/)

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 03:32 PM
Downloading now...hopefully this will make Pages as quick to start as '06 was :)

twoodcc
Sep 27, 2007, 03:33 PM
lots of updates lately :)

now hopefully next we'll see 10.4.11 and a leopard release date ;)

ImAlwaysRight
Sep 27, 2007, 03:33 PM
With yesterdays updates I've got 9 things downloading via Software update

offwidafairies
Sep 27, 2007, 03:36 PM

eagerly awaiting leopard :)

hmmm.... iwork08 alongside office08 :rolleyes:

dr_lha
Sep 27, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hope this makes Numbers a lot quicker. Its much slower than Excel running under Rosetta right now, which boggles the mind.

Hairball
Sep 27, 2007, 03:41 PM
I hope it does more than just make numbers run quicker. What about all of the other issues (lack of Excel features) people have been complaining about?

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 03:44 PM
Downloading now...hopefully this will make Pages as quick to start as '06 was :)

Seemingly not :(

elppa
Sep 27, 2007, 03:45 PM
Apple really have been busy. Four updates in one day?

Maybe they have been actively hiring to get all this out.

Either that or they are working super hard.

I hope they all get plenty of time off soon to recover.

Shtekeris
Sep 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
i think this day should be called in history - "Update day"

geez. so many updates, nice :D

jmadlena
Sep 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
The updates haven't appeared in Software Update for me yet. I have iWork '08 on a MacBook Pro. Did the appear in SU for you guys?

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 03:47 PM
I hope they all get plenty of time off soon to recover.

Really? I'd prefer they had no sleep and just worked on my software :p

Cloudsurfer
Sep 27, 2007, 03:54 PM
Wow, Apple, what's up with the updating spree :p

Busy bees there, in Cupertino.

Wingsy
Sep 27, 2007, 03:55 PM
I hope it does more than just make numbers run quicker. What about all of the other issues (lack of Excel features) people have been complaining about?

An update that just bumps the 3rd significant digit is not likely to contain any significant new features.

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
Wow, Apple, what's up with the updating spree :p

Busy bees there, in Cupertino.
Maybe there's a chance of Leopard in the first half of October...

aapl.jlo
Sep 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
Ya can't go wrong with the new iWork-I love it!

I don't understand why people haven't heard of it outside of the Apple community (Must be too hard headed to listen to anything new in the computer world-especially anything Apple)

Darkroom
Sep 27, 2007, 04:04 PM
this is the first year i started using Pages (because my MS Word 2004 because super crashtastic and painfully slow)... it's a really great app, i probably won't go back to word...

it just seems there is some issue with start up... its not very snappy... i read somewhere that the reason is because pages is written in carbon and not cocoa... im curious why apple wrote pages in carbon and not cocoa, and why they don't translate it...

Peel
Sep 27, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hmm...with this update and yesterday's iLife updates, I wonder if Apple isn't just getting all their ducks in a row so that everything's ready for the Leopard release. I'm dying to find out if either of these suites take advantage of CoreAnimation under Leopard.

RRK
Sep 27, 2007, 04:16 PM
Hmm...with this update and yesterday's iLife updates, I wonder if Apple isn't just getting all their ducks in a row so that everything's ready for the Leopard release. I'm dying to find out if either of these suites take advantage of CoreAnimation under Leopard.

...or getting the apps ready for 10.4.11 which will get the OS ready for upgrade to 10.5.

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 04:19 PM
it just seems there is some issue with start up... its not very snappy...

Pages '06 was very snappy to start up, hopefully there will be a patch to speed it up...

koko64
Sep 27, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'm running Numbers on a 500Mhz G4 PowerMac and the performance in Numbers has most certainly increased.

When tabbing from one cell to another, there always used to be a second or less delay before it moved to the next field. I put it down to using such an old machine, but the new update has got rid of this delay and Numbers feels far snappier now.

:)

seashellz
Sep 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
Big Update dump on Versiontracker-maybe we'll see 10.4.11

BTW
Sep 27, 2007, 04:41 PM

Yep, definitely another indication that Leopard is going GM soon. The firmware updates give it away. We'll see Leopard go GM by Tuesday I'm sure. :)

bousozoku
Sep 27, 2007, 04:57 PM
Pages '06 was very snappy to start up, hopefully there will be a patch to speed it up...

I don't think there will be any more updates for Pages '06. ;)

Numbers '08 is less laggy and opens files more quickly and Pages '08 starts more quickly. They're good gains but obviously not spectacular. Hopefully, there will be more to come after the first of the year.

The Ancients
Sep 27, 2007, 04:58 PM
Really? I'd prefer they had no sleep and just worked on my software :p

But then they'll go crazy and die, and no more updates :(

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 05:00 PM
I don't think there will be any more updates for Pages '06.I meant a patch for '08 to make it as fast as '06...

lozanoj83
Sep 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
Does this fix the problem with closing one Pages document, and the whole app crashes?
It's been happening since I installed it, and it's driving me nuts!

Dafke
Sep 27, 2007, 05:05 PM
there also seems to be an iWeb update: version 2.0.1 and it's 18.4 MB large.

FreeState
Sep 27, 2007, 05:05 PM
there also seems to be an iWeb update: version 2.0.1 and it's 18.4 MB large.

Yep, I got the same here...

ajhaji
Sep 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
I was just prompted to update to iWeb 2.0.2, not 2.0.1. Apple is really churning out those updates today.

elppa
Sep 27, 2007, 05:16 PM
this is the first year i started using Pages (because my MS Word 2004 because super crashtastic and painfully slow)... it's a really great app, i probably won't go back to word...

it just seems there is some issue with start up... its not very snappy... i read somewhere that the reason is because pages is written in carbon and not cocoa... im curious why apple wrote pages in carbon and not cocoa, and why they don't translate it...

Pages is Cocoa as far as I am aware.

Hobofuzz
Sep 27, 2007, 05:35 PM
Pages is Cocoa as far as I am aware.

It is most definitely Cocoa, otherwise the Dictionary wouldn't work with it. Or the Media browser. Or the cross-application stuff with the other two iWork '08 Applications.

Its package is also organized in the way Cocoa organizes .app packages. If it was Carbon, it wouldn't be a package, nor would it be Universal.

djellison
Sep 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
I have had trouble with keynote crashing out when pasting large images in...hopefully that's been addressed...we'll see :)

Doug

(PS - Yup - it's fixed..YAY!)

salimdao
Sep 27, 2007, 06:02 PM
The updates haven't appeared in Software Update for me yet. I have iWork '08 on a MacBook Pro. Did the appear in SU for you guys?

put Pages, Numbers, and Keynote in the iWork '08 folder. the iWork '08 folder obviously goes in the Applications folder. then check Software Update.

emegmac
Sep 27, 2007, 06:06 PM
put Pages, Numbers, and Keynote in the iWork '08 folder. the iWork '08 folder obviously goes in the Applications folder. then check Software Update.

Thanks. I deleted that folder. I just added a new folder and named it iWork '08 and it worked. Thanks

elppa
Sep 27, 2007, 06:11 PM
It is most definitely Cocoa, otherwise the Dictionary wouldn't work with it. Or the Media browser. Or the cross-application stuff with the other two iWork '08 Applications.

Its package is also organized in the way Cocoa organizes .app packages. If it was Carbon, it wouldn't be a package, nor would it be Universal.

Exactly. Plus why would Apple bother creating an app in carbon when they have made it quite clear time and time again that Cocoa is the preferred development framework for creating Mac OS X applications that are true first class citizens.

BornAgainMac
Sep 27, 2007, 06:13 PM
I meant a patch for '08 to make it as fast as '06...

Apply the Mac Pro hardware upgrade patch. :eek:

bericd
Sep 27, 2007, 06:53 PM
But then they'll go crazy and die, and no more updates :(

Also, the quality of updates will be a little random.

I'm an engineer, and has been encouraged to take the "Death March" approach before and it always ends up in problems.

kainjow
Sep 27, 2007, 07:50 PM

That is nonsense.

Carbon apps can be (and should be) .app packages. They can also be universal.

bousozoku
Sep 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
I meant a patch for '08 to make it as fast as '06...

That's why I used the smiley or is it smilie?

That is nonsense.

Carbon apps can be (and should be) .app packages. They can also be universal.

So true, but isn't it maddening that that level of mis-information still exists after 6+ years of Mac OS X?

Bosunsfate
Sep 27, 2007, 09:45 PM
I really do hope this 2.0.2 release fixes publishing issues.

I've been just getting killed on many publishing attempts. Really annoying as well since the publishing error doesn't happen until the very end.

You know the kind where you are about to walk away thinking all is great...and then bam...sorry there was an error publishing to .mac....please try again.:mad:

digitalbiker
Sep 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
I have had trouble with keynote crashing out when pasting large images in...hopefully that's been addressed...we'll see :)

Doug

(PS - Yup - it's fixed..YAY!)

Have any of you guys been having trouble with Keynote displaying pdf files incorrectly. I haven't tried the update yet but Keynote 08 would display many of my pdf files as transparent and drop many of the graphic elements.

For instance a graph in a pdf file which displays fine in preview or Acrobat reader, once moved to a keynote slide would turn transparent and the graphed line would be gone.

I have been disappointed with the entire iwork series since the original release. The package always appears to be polished on the outside, but as soon as you put the apps through more rigorous use they disappoint with bugs and quirks. Until recently Keynote seemed to be the least troublesome application however even Keynote is disappointing in 08.

Eduardo1971
Sep 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
Wow! It is about time that iWeb '08 functions properly without crashing. It updated my previous iWeb created site and now Web Gallery is also working!

I'm a happy camper again!!!:D

I really do hope this 2.0.2 release fixes publishing issues.

I've been just getting killed on many publishing attempts. Really annoying as well since the publishing error doesn't happen until the very end.

You know the kind where you are about to walk away thinking all is great...and then bam...sorry there was an error publishing to .mac....please try again.:mad:

Yeah it works!!!!! Believe me I **feel your pain**. I too, was having these problems but this update finally fixed it!!!

(As you can tell I am very, very, very happy; as my final recourse was the start from scratch and I would lose a lot of information).

glennsan
Sep 27, 2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah it works!!!!! Believe me I **feel your pain**. I too, was having these problems but this update finally fixed it!!!

(As you can tell I am very, very, very happy; as my final recourse was the start from scratch and I would lose a lot of information).

Did anyone else have to reselect your Domain file once this update was applied? I hate having to do that every time I update.

Glennsan

Bosunsfate
Sep 27, 2007, 11:51 PM

Yea, I was very happy to see that this worked too. Now I'll certainly be keeping my blog up to date more... I didn't go down your path, but was certainly having things go stale...

Did anyone else have to reselect your Domain file once this update was applied? I hate having to do that every time I update.

Glennsan

No I didn't, but I think with a .Mac account, this doesn't matter. Sorry, but got very assimilated. :D

metoo6000
Sep 28, 2007, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the many updates, but I still cannot open my 1.0.2 domain using iWeb 2.0.2. I don't understand why my 1.0.2 domain can not be opened with iWeb 2.0.x. I followed many suggestions but still no luck.

I wish I can open iWeb 1.0.2 and 2.0.2 same time so I can copy and paste all the contents, but this is also impossible. What can I do now? Sigh... Should I wait until iWeb 3.0 out? :(

JFreak
Sep 28, 2007, 02:37 AM
Maybe there's a chance of Leopard in the first half of October...

Dream on :)

Once they have GM, it takes about two weeks for software to hit the shelves. So ó if they declare GM during the weekend, then it's a possibility. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

They're targeting "october" release, so that most probably means tuesday the 30th. For that target, they have few weeks to iron out the last bugs and hope they don't find any show-stoppers.

willemvzyl
Sep 28, 2007, 02:40 AM
They've added "Fill Down" and "Fill Right" functionality to the "Insert" menu in Numbers. Woohoo! I've been wanting that since Numbers came out :D.

aprilfools
Sep 28, 2007, 04:07 AM
iWeb 2.0.2 is still not complete in my opinion. I donít know how Apple could have not thought about this, but it seems to me when making a photo slideshow, you should be able to control the amount a time a photo stays up on the screen before it goes to the next photo.

You can do just about everything else with the photos but no way to control that. Kind of ridiculous not to have that basic feature. I am disappointed. Hopefully iWeb 3 will have that feature.

asrai
Sep 28, 2007, 08:06 AM
Pages update doesn't address the Spell Checker error when opening Work Docs... bummer. :mad:

freeny
Sep 28, 2007, 08:25 AM
Ive been having issues with iweb 2 completely rewriting my page addresses so that external links are no longer directed to the proper pages. hope to see a resolution to this...

macFanDave
Sep 28, 2007, 09:10 AM
Apple ought to dispense with the formality if they are not going to be more specific.

It ought to read:

Pages 1.1.1 is MO' BETTER! Put in on your Mac, ya dumb mofo!

That would just as helpful and a helluva lot funnier than this "fix stability issues and performance blah-bibbity-blah. . ."

tomd89
Sep 28, 2007, 12:47 PM
How come I can't install these updates, the installer says that an elegible Numbers/Pages/Keynote application cannot be found in the applications folder. They are in the applications folder though!

S_Chandler
Sep 28, 2007, 12:59 PM
How come I can't install these updates, the installer says that an elegible Numbers/Pages/Keynote application cannot be found in the applications folder. They are in the applications folder though!

I'm getting the same thing.

psychofreak
Sep 28, 2007, 01:07 PM

I'm getting the same thing.

Is it in an iWork '08 folder, or had you moved it?

tomd89
Sep 28, 2007, 01:16 PM
Is it in an iWork '08 folder, or had you moved it?

That's solved it! I'd moved them out of the iWork folder, just created a new iWork '08 folder and the update worked.

Thanks!

Westside guy
Sep 28, 2007, 01:51 PM
That's solved it! I'd moved them out of the iWork folder, just created a new iWork '08 folder and the update worked.

That seems something Apple's updater should be able to deal with. Keeping track of files that have been moved around is one of HFS+'s strong points.

stephenc92
Sep 29, 2007, 05:29 AM
I was having big problems with Smart Builds in Keynote. Not very smart if it reboots your Mac and you lose your data.

samh004
Sep 29, 2007, 05:56 AM
I am disappointed. Hopefully iWeb 3 will have that feature.

You'll have to pay for that though, and it'll be at least a year before it's released.

Digitalclips
Sep 30, 2007, 08:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released a number of updates to their iWork '08 suite including:

Numbers 1.0.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/numbers101.html)
This update primarily addresses issues with tables and performance.

Pages 3.0.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/pages301.html)
This update primarily addresses issues with change tracking and performance.

Keynote 4.0.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/keynote401.html)
This update primarily addresses issues with builds and performance.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/27/iwork-08-keynote-4-0-1-pages-3-0-1-and-numbers-1-0-1/)

I bought the iWork family pack. The update was available on my Dual G5 but not seen as available on my wife's MacBook. I was able to manually download each update via Apple support pages but does anyone know why Software Update did not see the availability from the MacBook?

TuffLuffJimmy
Sep 30, 2007, 10:35 AM
I bought the iWork family pack. The update was available on my Dual G5 but not seen as available on my wife's MacBook. I was able to manually download each update via Apple support pages but does anyone know why Software Update did not see the availability from the MacBook?

It's because the applications have been moved from where they should be on your macbook. Create a new folder called iWork '08 and put that in the application folder. then put all your iwork apps in it. QUIT MOVING STUFF AROUND!