PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Cooperman to Join Apple as General Counsel

MacRumors
Sep 28, 2007, 11:06 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple announced today (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/09/28cooperman.html) that Daniel Cooperman, senior vice president, general counsel and secretary at Oracle Corporation, will join Apple as the company's senior vice president, general counsel and secretary, replacing Donald J. Rosenberg.

Donald Rosenberg had only held the position since November 2006, after Former Apple general counsel Nancy Heinen had left amidst accusations of involvement in the backdating scandal (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/04/24/sec-settles-with-anderson-pursuing-heinen/).
"Dan will be an excellent addition to our team and will fit right into Apple's fast paced culture," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Dan is a seasoned professional with extensive experience in securities compliance, intellectual property, litigation and corporate governance."

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/28/daniel-cooperman-to-join-apple-as-general-counsel/)

ATG
Sep 28, 2007, 11:12 AM
Exciting... :rolleyes:

I suppose we've had all the interesting news we're going to get until macworld.

LizKat
Sep 28, 2007, 11:16 AM
He does sound like a good pick.

Bet the fine print in his move from Oracle to Apple is something to behold.

CalBoy
Sep 28, 2007, 11:25 AM
He does sound like a good pick.

Bet the fine print in his move from Oracle to Apple is something to behold.

Oh I'm sure his contract is full of good stuff. He is a lawyer right? For a company like Apple, that general counsel position must be a coveted one.

Fluffymuff
Sep 28, 2007, 11:25 AM
On track to be the least viewed thread in the history of MacRumors, if not the internet itself.

ro2nie
Sep 28, 2007, 11:29 AM
As long as he doesn't fire Steve Jobs, everything is OK. :D

andiwm2003
Sep 28, 2007, 11:37 AM
the question is why did the other guy leave after less than a year?

the real question is when will apple revamp .mac? just more storage doesn't cut it. a web interface for ical would be great but absolutely off topic........:D

Squonk
Sep 28, 2007, 11:38 AM
Shouldn't this be a page 2 item.

And seriously, who can realistically offer a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE vote on this?

NEGATIVE = fans of Donald or they wanted the job themselves?

POSITIVE = runs in different circles than me to know if Dan is a real "catch"!

:D

burnhamish
Sep 28, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thank <insert deity> ! Now I can get some sleep.

Rocketman
Sep 28, 2007, 11:46 AM
the question is why did the other guy leave after less than a year?

I say he was a temp until they had time to interview prospects for a long-term fit. Apple tends to be very loyal to employees and visa-versa. So it makes sense the surprise departure of the former counsel under duress caused Apple to find someone quick pending a permanent find.

The sheer amount of ongoing activities by Apple's General Counsel is staggering and the person in that position has their personal name and signature on high level documents.

There is speculation why the recent departure guy would go to Qualcom. I say Qualcom is steeped in heavy litigation for its life and that job is very exciting and valuable right now. Apple is on high energy cruise right now.

I would think an attorney would want to work somewhere like Microsoft which is under massive attack worldwide legally.

Rocketman

BTW
Sep 28, 2007, 11:57 AM

Oh I doubt it. Are we not holding out for AppleTV goodness? We didn't see a firmware update for that this week (maybe it's EOL'd). :D

Which brings me to a point. Shouldn't the AppleTV get the iTunes Wi-Fi store too?

TheChemist
Sep 28, 2007, 11:58 AM
Shouldn't this be a page 2 item.

Or page 3 ? :)

quovadis
Sep 28, 2007, 12:02 PM
Such important news for us .... does this mean Leopard will be released earlier than the end of October?

wordmunger
Sep 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
Snarky comments aside, this suggests that Apple may be changing its philosophy with regards to litigation. They could, for example, get more aggressive with C&Ds targeted at rumor sites. They might move away from (or toward) more DRM.

Do I have any idea what legal tactics they'll be taking in the future? No. But if we start seeing a different approach, we might want to look back at this move as the reason.

plumbingandtech
Sep 28, 2007, 12:14 PM
Snarky comments aside, this suggests that Apple may be changing its philosophy with regards to litigation. They could, for example, get more aggressive with C&Ds targeted at rumor sites. They might move away from (or toward) more DRM.

Orrrrrrr.

The previous guy was understood by both parties to be a temp hire. And now they found the permanent replacement.

We have no idea what the understanding was.

You make a big leap there.

AdeFowler
Sep 28, 2007, 12:14 PM
Is it a bird, is it a plane, no it's... (I'll get me coat :o )

bdj21ya
Sep 28, 2007, 12:16 PM

I dunno about that. I could see us easily getting some sort of rental service this fall.

DaBrain
Sep 28, 2007, 12:20 PM
Trivial to the average user and this makes front page news?

Anyone know a list of other forums for rumors and news that you might reccamend? Nothing against macrumors, just intersted in more MAC reading material. Thanks! :)

Squonk
Sep 28, 2007, 12:22 PM
Trivial to the average user and this makes front page news?

Anyone know a list of other forums for rumors and news that you might reccamend? Nothing against macrumors, just intersted in more MAC reading material. Thanks! :)

I think Steve might have a hang nail today too! And he spilled his soy latte on his brand new black mock-turtleneck. LOL

And to the other posters, was there supposed to be a firmware update for the :apple:TV this week? I feel like I'm in deep left field again... :D

happydude
Sep 28, 2007, 12:26 PM
after 314,002 new updates yesterday i think we're due for a slow news day . . .

quovadis
Sep 28, 2007, 12:31 PM
Snarky comments aside, this suggests that Apple may be changing its philosophy with regards to litigation. They could, for example, get more aggressive with C&Ds targeted at rumor sites. .

you mean rumor sites such as macrumors.com???

Doctor Q
Sep 28, 2007, 12:32 PM
The backdating scandal affected scores of tech companies. Is anyone keeping score? I'm wondering how many of those investigations are still in progress, how many were dropped, how many produced actions, resignations, convictions, etc.

At one point, there were over 100 companies being looked at by the SEC (UnitedHealth Group, for example). But almost all the news stories about the scandal are focused on Apple, Steve Jobs, and his crew.

DaBrain
Sep 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
I think Steve might have a hang nail today too! And he spilled his soy latte on his brand new black mock-turtleneck. LOL

Thanks for the valuable info! Hangnails IM not interested in, more MAC news I am! :rolleyes:

elguille
Sep 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
i can't believe that I'm wasting my time writing in a post like this:rolleyes:
:confused:

InLikeALion
Sep 28, 2007, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the valuable info! Hangnails IM not interested in, more MAC news I am! :rolleyes:

I know this wont get you more ground-breaking news, but you DO realize the forums tab in the upper right will take you to a magical world of Mac discussion and information? Right?

quovadis
Sep 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
I'm wondering how many of those investigations are still in progress,

I hope this newly hired dude begins investigations on the last what's it's name Paris MacExpo. He should investigate why it was sooooo non news worthy

jim1329
Sep 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
This guy from Oracle is exceptional. He was the guy who won the battle against government 3 years ago while Oracle bought Peoplesoft.
It was against all odds the case was won.

Apple made a great choice especially when the dominance of iPod and iTunes may intorduce any governament or non-governament proceedings against Apple basing on the monopolistic principles.

jumpinjohn
Sep 28, 2007, 01:07 PM
This guy from Oracle is exceptional. He was the guy who won the battle against government 3 years ago while Oracle bought Peoplesoft.
It was against all odds the case was won.

Apple made a great choice especially when the dominance of iPod and iTunes may intorduce any governament or non-governament proceedings against Apple basing on the monopolistic principles.

It appears that is a great decision. I for one appreciate this kind of story since it is about Apple, which is a company I am invested in. I know many of you kiddies only want to know what daddy is gonna do for you and are apparently unconcerned about the state of his job and such, but some of us like these "useless" stories are nice to have. Now let's get on with REAL news like.. I hear that Apple is gonna come out with some new stuff after leopard! :rolleyes:

Teddy's
Sep 28, 2007, 01:24 PM
after 314,002 new updates yesterday i think we're due for a slow news day . . .

Yeah, all the updates happened last thursday.
:D

treicher
Sep 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
what I ask myself why did that guy leave Oracle? I wonder what Larry is thinking about that?

quovadis
Sep 28, 2007, 02:33 PM
btw, what is this thread all about? Tough to say just by reading the comments on page 2 of the thread

Does it even qualify to be called a "thread" any more?????

dvkid
Sep 28, 2007, 02:45 PM
APPLE Mac Rumors and NEWS is what is found in the title of this site. This tidbit is news. For those that recognize that every aspect of a major company like Apple affects what sort of products they are able to bring to market and when do appreciate this sort of info. If you are just here for the gadgeteering than it is best you ignore this post and move on to the new iTunes visualizers. They're shiny and colorful and ought to distract you from this post rather well.

twoodcc
Sep 28, 2007, 02:46 PM

i wouldn't say that. we got leopard coming up

quovadis
Sep 28, 2007, 02:53 PM
If you are just here for the gadgeteering than it is best you ignore this post and move on to the new iTunes visualizers. They're shiny and colorful and ought to distract you from this post rather well.

wow, the the oracle legal dude designed these new iTunes visualizers. That is very productive of him! I now agree, great hire by Apple !!!!

offwidafairies
Sep 28, 2007, 03:11 PM

what about leopard? THAT's interesting!!!!

quovadis
Sep 28, 2007, 03:21 PM
I'm sure everyone here is interested in a picture of this Oracle legal dude

Just in case you run into him some time on the street and want to thank him for serving as the catalyst for this wonderful thread on macrumors

So here goes ...

cubist
Sep 28, 2007, 04:12 PM
"Apple's fast paced culture" certainly applies to it's General Counsel. They have to be careful not to trip each other as they come and leave!

(sorry, couldn't resist it)

TheChemist
Sep 28, 2007, 04:52 PM
It appears that is a great decision. I for one appreciate this kind of story since it is about Apple, which is a company I am invested in. I know many of you kiddies only want to know what daddy is gonna do for you and are apparently unconcerned about the state of his job and such, but some of us like these "useless" stories are nice to have. Now let's get on with REAL news like.. I hear that Apple is gonna come out with some new stuff after leopard! :rolleyes:

http://www.apple.com/pr/

http://www.apple.com/investor/

You'll be able to find all the information necessary for an investor who does fundamental analysis, and attends stockholder meetings.

Fluffymuff
Sep 28, 2007, 05:08 PM
APPLE Mac Rumors and NEWS is what is found in the title of this site. This tidbit is news. For those that recognize that every aspect of a major company like Apple affects what sort of products they are able to bring to market and when do appreciate this sort of info. If you are just here for the gadgeteering than it is best you ignore this post and move on to the new iTunes visualizers. They're shiny and colorful and ought to distract you from this post rather well.
This thread is a meta-thread, almost entirely about the thread itself rather than the topic. The contingent expressing interest almost entirely expresses interest in the thread, not the choice of general counsel.

This is a thread about threads. It is the Sienfeld of threads. It might as well be about what Oracle dude ate for lunch and how that is somehow of interest to armchair investors.

Yes. A ham sandwich. I understand it was adorned with cheese. Yes. I am quite sure Oracle lawyer (hereafter described as "Oracle") ate his ham sandwich with cheese. Apple was characteristically tight lipped about the type of cheese, and while remaining outwardly neutral on whether the Oracle had applied third-party condiments, hinted that future sandwiches would support only those condiments supplied by Apple's in-house food preparation department. Investors might want to further research the cheese issue for insight into company litigation strategy and impact on margins. Also, investors will want to note that the Oracle now works for the company on whose Board serves the Goracle.

jumpinjohn
Sep 28, 2007, 05:12 PM
http://www.apple.com/pr/

http://www.apple.com/investor/

You'll be able to find all the information necessary for an investor who does fundamental analysis, and attends stockholder meetings.

Another good place for research is [url]http://www.finance.yahoo.com/[url]. They have links to articles, analysts etc. My measly shares - I have never actually attended the stockholder meetings. But I am always interested to read NEWS related to Apple and other companies I either invest in or am considering to invest in. In earlier years, I just found it interesting to follow companies that I was interested in. So, what I was attempting to say is that company news entails more than just the latest gadgets or rumors of products or directions. Those are interesting as well.

Anyway, thanks for the links. But I really like macrumors because it has both news AND rumors. ...and it is discussion, instead of just reading information. At least I think that is what this forum is about. News and Discussion....

mdriftmeyer
Sep 28, 2007, 05:40 PM
At Oracle, Cooperman has been responsible for Oracle's legal department, including worldwide legal policies, corporate governance, securities compliance, mergers and acquisitions, commercial licensing, intellectual property, employment law, litigation, patent law and legal support for Oracle's various business units. Cooperman currently serves as chairman of the Board of Directors of the Software & Information Industry Association, the largest trade association in the software industry. He is a member of the American Bar Association's Committee of Corporate General Counsel and is on the Advisory Council for the Law, Science and Technology Program at Stanford Law School.

His credibility extends from the State to the Federal Markets, through all three major branches of Federal Government.

His leadership is a signal that Apple wants to not just be in the consumer space and recognizes that the consumer space is blurring with the enterprise/federal spaces.

Fluffymuff
Sep 28, 2007, 08:37 PM
His leadership is a signal that Apple wants to not just be in the consumer space and recognizes that the consumer space is blurring with the enterprise/federal spaces.
Ridiculous.

He's the lawyer, not the CEO.

LizKat
Sep 28, 2007, 08:55 PM
what I ask myself why did that guy leave Oracle? I wonder what Larry is thinking about that?

Larry probably drafted what he thought about it into some agreements, baby!

mdriftmeyer
Sep 29, 2007, 12:29 AM
Ridiculous.

Work there and then work with the Fed. Then open your mouth again about how "ridiculous" it is.

Lawyers get you into the Federal Markets. Not technologies.

Technologies with mature relationships keep you in the Markets.

The best technologies rarely win out.

The best business relationships always trumps technology.

By comparison: Review Microsoft's General Counsel.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/bradsmith/default.mspx

Let's just say, without Brad Smith, Microsoft would have had a much more difficult time in the inner circles of power players.

But by all means, call it ridiculous.

Having been an Engineer at NeXT and Apple, Nancy was one helluva General Counsel.

If this screw up never occurred she would still be General Counsel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_R._Heinen

winmacguy
Sep 29, 2007, 01:44 AM
I would imagine his renumeration package will be rather hefty.

Roller
Sep 29, 2007, 07:45 AM
Slow news day. :)

quovadis
Sep 29, 2007, 08:42 AM
This is a thread about threads. It is the Sienfeld of threads.

I think this is a "Bizzaro thread", the complete opposite of threads, where "Good" is "bad" and "bad" is "good" and "interesting" is "not interesting" (like the bizzaro Sienfeld episode rerun I watched last night). Great episode btw

LizKat
Sep 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
Slow news day. :)

Yah then no big deal hijackin' the thread, right? Cooperman's bio sez he went to Dartmouth for his undergraduate work. Dartmouth used to have a breakfast club, in maths department I think. They wrote some nifty shareware for the early Macs... if you made a little donation they'd send you a sweet thank you note and you got the feeling they were actually buying breakfast with the money. It was a pricey school so they must have just traded in their board money for their Macs! Back then a 512Mac would run around $2400.

By time Cooperman went there, the breakfast club was probably toast. I wonder what he majored in, aside from skiing.

Fluffymuff
Sep 29, 2007, 09:43 AM
Lawyers get you into the Federal Markets. Not technologies.
"Hi George. Dan Cooperman here.
That's right. Dan Cooperman at Apple.
Yes. Apple computers although now it's just "Apple" heh heh.
Oracle? Oh that. Oracle shmoracle.
Why? One word: stock options!
Heh heh. Well, in my book "stock options" is one word.
Sure. I understand you're busy. Well this is why I called. At my request, Apple has shifted its core business from electronics to bustles and we think the government may be interested in buying them.
Yes. Bustles.
Oh. Sorry. A bustle is "a pad or frame worn under a skirt and puffing it out behind."
Yes. It gives women a fuller look that we feel will positively reflect their virtues domestically and abroad.
Hearts and minds! Exactly!
Of course, the usual 5%.
OK then, speak to Condi then get back to me but we're good, right?
Glad to hear it.
And give my best to Laura as well.
Bye. "

But by all means, call it ridiculous.
Ok. It is ridiculous. Dan Cooperman is not, as you suggest, a "signal." He's a lawyer. A very good competent experienced lawyer. If you want to see a signal, go to an intersection.

Having been an Engineer at NeXT and Apple, Nancy was one helluva General Counsel.
Nancy was NOT an engineer at NeXT and Apple.

(I know what you meant... :) )

LizKat
Sep 29, 2007, 09:58 AM
*snipSnip* Great episode btw

Yah the thread ;) will go down in history like some of those over in Community

quovadis
Sep 29, 2007, 12:53 PM
*snip*

Oh! He is a lawyer is he? I'm surprised no one has done this on the thread so far, so let me be the first:

Q: What do you have if three lawyers are buried up to their necks in cement?
A: Not enough cement.

ha! ha! ha!:D

LizKat
Sep 30, 2007, 11:37 PM
So Qualcomm takes Apple's top dog
and Apple takes Oracle's top dog
and then at Oracle, uh, the vice-prez of legal is hastily promoted....

So now does that new top dog at Oracle's legal department start growling with more of his teeth showing, or should he start checking his parachute?

laughinglenny
Oct 2, 2007, 05:57 PM
Good question as to why he left.He was granted 200,000 shares of restricted stock last December vesting over 4 years. Thats $32 million and he would have been able to exercise $8 million this December.