PDA

View Full Version : For all the Guitar Hero fans.

P-Worm
Sep 28, 2007, 07:16 PM
Well, I finally did it. It took me a freaking long time, but I finally did it. I beat Jordan on Expert. :eek:

Righteous.

P-Worm

evilgEEk
Sep 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
Pics or it didn't happen!

....oh... wait...

;)

Congrats!

GoCubsGo
Sep 29, 2007, 02:14 PM
jesus christ! I think you may be my hero for this hour...mark it down....12:15 p.m. PST 9/29. Hero for the next 60 minutes!

sikkinixx
Sep 29, 2007, 04:25 PM
I could do that....

but I don't wanna

P-Worm
Sep 29, 2007, 09:57 PM
jesus christ! I think you may be my hero for this hour...mark it down....12:15 p.m. PST 9/29. Hero for the next 60 minutes!

Whoa, I was only expecting 15 minutes of fame, not 60. Lucky me.

Now it's time to work on getting that log guitar (5 starring everything on Expert) Only 7 songs to go...

P-Worm

zero2dash
Oct 1, 2007, 09:11 AM
Congrats :D

I'm still trying to get the hang of Hard myself.

Seems like GH1/80s Edition have easier Hard songs than GH2 for some reason.

I have nearly NO problem whatsoever on Hard songs on GH1, and most of the songs in 80s Edition (from my rental time with that one), but GH2...I've gotten so far (to Sweet Child O' Mine encore) and...I'm stuck. I can pass some others in Quick Play that are further down the set list, but SCOM just owns me right now.

Again though - congrats :)

Compile 'em all
Oct 1, 2007, 09:16 AM
Man, I just passed it on Hard a few days ago and I was quite happy about it till I saw your post :mad:

LouisBlack
Oct 1, 2007, 10:50 AM
My housemate just recently completed it on expert... he was stuck on Psychobilly Freakout for about 2 months...

I myself am having trouble with Wolfmother on hard...

P-Worm
Oct 1, 2007, 02:47 PM
As far as songs on expert, the hardest ones in my opinion are Psychobilly Freakout and Hangar 18. Hangar 18 has this monster solo at the end that slowly, but surely, chips away at your rock meter. If you can beat that one, the rest, including Freebird, shouldn't be so bad if you can time the hammer ons and pull offs well enough.

For those more adventurous and waiting to try some of the harder songs, the extra songs Six and Thunderhorse (from Cartoon Network's Metalocalypse) are fun and provide a nice challenge.

P-Worm

rtdgoldfish
Oct 1, 2007, 04:57 PM
I would have been impressed except you only got 4 stars ;):D

What is your career score?? I was considering starting a "What is your GH2 Career Score?" thread but with GH3 coming out in a month, I figured just wait for that.

Shotgun OS
Oct 1, 2007, 05:11 PM
It's photoshopped. You're lying!
;)

Good job. Man, I suck so bad at GH. Wish I could do that.

P-Worm
Oct 1, 2007, 07:35 PM
I would have been impressed except you only got 4 stars ;):D

What is your career score?? I was considering starting a "What is your GH2 Career Score?" thread but with GH3 coming out in a month, I figured just wait for that.

We should have a race on this forum to beat Through The Fire and the Flames (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZutgOyA9EY) first. It's a bonus track on Guitar Hero 3.

And for the record, I'm determined to five star this Jordan. Just give me some time. :cool:

P-Worm

rtdgoldfish
Oct 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
We should have a race on this forum to beat Through The Fire and the Flames (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZutgOyA9EY) first. It's a bonus track on Guitar Hero 3.

And for the record, I'm determined to five star this Jordan. Just give me some time. :cool:

P-Worm

I'm so excited to play some Dragonforce in GH3. That will be the first bonus track I purchase. Although I have the feeling it will be the last one I am able to beat on expert...

rockthecasbah
Oct 27, 2007, 12:43 PM
GUITAR HERO 3 DROPS TOMORROW!

So who's ready to shred?!?!?

I'm so pumped, this is going to be the first GH game i'll be able to own since I've been a Nintendo-only owner for my entire life. IGN posted an excellent "final look" article yesterday for those who are intersted, along with some direct line feeds of real gameplay video! IGN raved about it despite a few small flaws, calling it a must-have for Wii owners.

Link. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/830/830801p1.html)

So who's running out first day to pick it up?

GoCubsGo
Oct 27, 2007, 12:45 PM
GUITAR HERO 3 DROPS TOMORROW!

So who's ready to shred?!?!?

I'm so pumped, this is going to be the first GH game i'll be able to own since I've been a Nintendo-only owner for my entire life. IGN posted an excellent "final look" article yesterday for those who are intersted, along with some direct line feeds of real gameplay video! IGN raved about it despite a few small flaws, calling it a must-have for Wii owners.

Link. (http://wii.ign.com/articles/830/830801p1.html)

So who's running out first day to pick it up?
I pre-ordered, I guess basically just so I could know that I would get it because I tend not to spend @ the end of the month. :) I got it for the Wii, I'm pretty jazzed but doubt I'll get up early for it or anything.

yg17
Oct 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'll be at Wal-Mart at midnight and have no plans to get any sleep :D

gadgetgirl85
Oct 27, 2007, 04:09 PM
I've got mine preordered for the Wii but not out until the 7th here :(

rockthecasbah
Oct 27, 2007, 04:51 PM
I'm actually going to Best Buy tonight to preorder because I won't be able to stop until i get out of work at 5:00pm and don't want to risk them selling out of it by that time ;)

P-Worm
Oct 28, 2007, 01:35 AM
Only one store in my area was selling it at midnight. The kid right in front of me bought the last Playstation 2 version they had. :(

P-Worm

yg17
Oct 28, 2007, 03:16 AM
I got mine at midnight. Perhaps the only thing 24 hour Wal-Marts are good for :D

Although they were out of the 360 cordless guitars so I had to settle on the wired one. And after almost 3 hours of play, my fingers are killing me

GoCubsGo
Oct 28, 2007, 02:00 PM
I got mine at midnight. Perhaps the only thing 24 hour Wal-Marts are good for :D

Although they were out of the 360 cordless guitars so I had to settle on the wired one. And after almost 3 hours of play, my fingers are killing me

I read somewhere that they were never out of them, they're giving old controllers in place of the new ones just for kicks. People are pissed.

I got mine for the Wii and love it, though it seems the movement to activate star power is not as responsive at times. This may be a feature enhancement as I would barely move the guitar on my PS2 wireless/wired and it would activate star power when I didn't want it to.

So far loving the song line up. I'm of the older generation (ugh) and I grew up listening to Poison and such. :)

johny5
Oct 28, 2007, 02:35 PM
Bah! we have to wait another couple of weeks for GH3 in the UK! :( :(

I have GH1 + GH2 + GH80's on ps2 and 360 and plan on buying GH3 on the PS3, I just soooooo hope that the new wireless guitar will let me play all the other GH's instead of using my daughters ps2! :D

yg17
Oct 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
Is it bad if, when comparing the fingers on my left hand and right hand, I can tell that the tips of my fingers on my left hand are significantly flatter than the ones on my right hand? :D

GoCubsGo
Oct 28, 2007, 06:10 PM
Is it bad if, when comparing the fingers on my left hand and right hand, I can tell that the tips of my fingers on my left hand are significantly flatter than the ones on my right hand? :D

No worse than me saying I have tennis elbow as a result of wii tennis.

rockthecasbah
Oct 28, 2007, 10:04 PM
I picked up my copy tonight from Best Buy for the Wii. I absolutely love it. There was an IGN article saying that the controller's buttons were spaced further apart but i haven't noticed a difference from the brief time i played on other people's older versions. I'm still getting used to the controls (haven't had GH before), it took me like 10 seconds to figure out what button to press to pause the damn thing :p

GoCubsGo
Oct 28, 2007, 10:06 PM
I picked up my copy tonight from Best Buy for the Wii. I absolutely love it. There was an IGN article saying that the controller's buttons were spaced further apart but i haven't noticed a difference from the brief time i played on other people's older versions. I'm still getting used to the controls (haven't had GH before), it took me like 10 seconds to figure out what button to press to pause the damn thing :p

What would be cool for the wii is if you could download other songs like you can on the 360. I for one love the wiimote in the guitar. It just adds additional cool-factor. As soon as I finish this ****ing paper for school I can get back to it. Now that I have some vodka in me I can probably rock out a whole lot better.
:)

rockthecasbah
Oct 29, 2007, 05:35 AM
What would be cool for the wii is if you could download other songs like you can on the 360. I for one love the wiimote in the guitar. It just adds additional cool-factor. As soon as I finish this ****ing paper for school I can get back to it. Now that I have some vodka in me I can probably rock out a whole lot better.
:)

I like the Wiimote in the guitar as well, but it's really a bother to have to open the guitar and take it out to turn the Wii on and go through the menu to click on the Gameplay Channel. Oh well, the built in speaker and rumble makes up for it i guess, but still a bother... :o

Wallace25
Oct 29, 2007, 08:48 PM
I like the Wiimote in the guitar as well, but it's really a bother to have to open the guitar and take it out to turn the Wii on and go through the menu to click on the Gameplay Channel. Oh well, the built in speaker and rumble makes up for it i guess, but still a bother... :o

You don't have to take the Wiimote out, the guitar has a joystick on it to select the game channel.

rockthecasbah
Oct 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
You don't have to take the Wiimote out, the guitar has a joystick on it to select the game channel.

Oh that works for that? Sweet deal. Thanks :o

williamsonrg
Oct 30, 2007, 05:55 PM
How do you beat Tom Morello?!

I'm playing through on Medium, 5-starring everything, then I get to Tom Morello and just can't get past him. I keep throwing attacks at him, but he never loses. What's the trick that I'm missing?

Mindflux
Oct 30, 2007, 06:41 PM

For the wii edition not to come 'complete' and requiring a wii-mote, the GHIII should have been 20-30 less, atleast.. since the rest of them are playable 'out of the box'. this infuriates me to no end.

williamsonrg
Oct 30, 2007, 07:56 PM
For the wii edition not to come 'complete' and requiring a wii-mote, the GHIII should have been 20-30 less, atleast.. since the rest of them are playable 'out of the box'. this infuriates me to no end.

I totally agree. And there's still not the option to buy a separate guitar. I am not going to spend another $80 just to play with my roommate, which takes away half the fun.

(And I did figure out the best way to beat Tom Morello... just have to throw the attacks at him just as you finish playing, right before he begins.)

P-Worm
Nov 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
I picked it up on Monday and beat it on Expert that day. Let's just say that Slipknot, Slayer and Lou all gave me a run for my money. :p

I almost have the intro of Through the Fire and Flames down, but not quite. I use both of my hands to tap it and start the first strum with my elbow. :cool: The biggest problem with tapping, however, is that if you mess up once, it's impossible to start it up again and get back in before you die. I am not even close while strumming it, so I guess tapping is the route I'm going to go.

P-Worm

P-Worm
Nov 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
Well, Through the Fire and Flames is really hard, but truth be told, I think it is easier than Jordan. I still can't do the intro on my own (I need my little brother to strum eighth notes while I tap with my other two hands). The solos are really fast, but with the increase in note window with this game they are entirely doable.

Would anyone be interested if I posted the fingering chart I use for tapping the intro with both hands, or would it go completely unnoticed? Let me know.

P-Worm

sikkinixx
Nov 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
I picked it up on Monday and beat it on Expert that day. Let's just say that Slipknot, Slayer and Lou all gave me a run for my money. :p

And I can't even beat the first song on medium :o me = fail :p

P-Worm
Nov 12, 2007, 08:09 PM
I know, it's sad...but awesome at the same time. ;)

P-Worm

2nyRiggz
Dec 1, 2007, 08:38 AM
Okay I'm going to buy this game today...I've never paid too much attention to GH games so I'm a noob.

Tell me something..will this be a hard transition for me to learn the layout etc..

How many songs are in GH3 and will the guitar work with Rock Band because I'm planning on getting that as well

Bless

applekid
Dec 1, 2007, 09:26 AM
Okay I'm going to buy this game today...I've never paid too much attention to GH games so I'm a noob.

Tell me something..will this be a hard transition for me to learn the layout etc..

How many songs are in GH3 and will the guitar work with Rock Band because I'm planning on getting that as well

Bless

Well, you can start off on Easy and it'll use only the first three fret buttons. Medium adds in the blue button with more notes. Then Hard uses all the frets with even more notes. And of course on Expert you will be shredding the guitar. :D You should be able to get it to a certain degree with practice.

The back of the box says there are over 70 songs, but I think that includes the bonus songs which are all like indie songs.

The Guitar Hero guitar is compatible with Rock Band. However, the Rock Band guitar is not compatible with Guitar Hero. Have fun with drumming in Rock Band. Although I beat a tour on Medium, it still sucks to play... :cool:

P-Worm
Dec 1, 2007, 11:11 AM

Bless

Good to hear someone else joining in on the fun. Go ahead and play the game through one difficulty at a time. The game 'teaches' you how to play pretty well if you work on it a song at a time. Some advice though - I would try playing the game on Medium first to see if you can handle it. I find Easy to be too easy for people that play games regularly.

Enjoy!

P-Worm

2nyRiggz
Dec 1, 2007, 03:30 PM
Sad news for me..I was not able to find GH3 but I did find GH2(xbox360) at $79 so I bite the bullet and got it....was that a mistake or will I still have a good time with it?

Can I play GH3(sold without the bundle right?) with the GH2 guitar...if so then good for me(don't care about wireless)

Bless

P-Worm
Dec 2, 2007, 12:48 AM
Guitar Hero 2 just may be the best game of the series, so don't worry about your purchase at all. For me, the best one is a toss up between 2 and 3 (I like them both for different reasons). Be sure and tell me how you're coming along and maybe I can give you a few pointers to get the hang of it.

P-Worm

2nyRiggz
Dec 2, 2007, 08:49 AM
^Want to know how I'm doing...well my fingers hurt thats for sure but I'm enjoying the game...I unlocked 4 songs. I'm still missing a lot of notes(gotta remember to keep my fingers on the buttons:D )

I like the game and I already ordered GH3(GH2 guitar is compatible yayy!) so give me like a month and I'll be rocking with yall;)

Bless

FF_productions
Dec 2, 2007, 09:43 AM
How the hell do you guys play this game on expert?

I can barely make the transition to hard, too many buttons coming at me at once.

Who has beaten "Raining Blood" on Expert for Guitar Hero 3?

P-Worm
Dec 2, 2007, 10:31 AM
How the hell do you guys play this game on expert?

I can barely make the transition to hard, too many buttons coming at me at once.

Who has beaten "Raining Blood" on Expert for Guitar Hero 3?

I feel that the biggest transition is going from Medium to Hard because you have to get used to having a 5th button. The 5th button forces you to shift your hand back and forth and keep track of which position you are in. Sometimes, I actually spread my fingers out so that I have my index finger taking care of green and red and the other fingers are on the rest. Don't do that for all the songs, but on some fingerings, that really helps. If you can get used to it on Hard, the transition to Expert isn't that tough, just faster.

Raining blood was pretty tough. That one took me about ten attempts before I could beat it. Believe it or not, the hardest part for me wasn't the really fast rolls, but the intro with the green notes coming in groups of three. I couldn't for the life of me get that rhythm down.

I think the biggest thing you can do to improve your skills is to learn how to strum up and down. If you don't learn this early on, you will run into trouble later. I like to look at things in groups. For instance, if a group of three notes is coming up, I always strum down-up-down (almost never up-down-up). That way you can time it better by the first and second down strum and the middle one just falls in between somewhere.

P-Worm

FF_productions
Dec 2, 2007, 10:51 AM
I see what you mean. I need some more practice..lol

Yaris
Dec 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
After a while, you really get used to moving your hand to reach the orange button. If you have small hands its gonna be harder. (My index and middle finger can touch the green and the orange at the same time, I didn't have too much trouble.) If you play Expert for a long time, you really wont have to think about moving your hand to reach orange.

I need to get GH3, I played it at a friend's house and got 72% notes hit on Through the Fire and Flames on expert but I haven't really played any other songs except the ones on the demo.

FF_productions
Dec 4, 2007, 02:49 PM
I need to get GH3, I played it at a friend's house and got 72% notes hit on Through the Fire and Flames on expert but I haven't really played any other songs except the ones on the demo.

You gotta be shittin me. I can't even hit one note without it instantly failing me. Wow. That is easily the hardest song in the whole game.

P-Worm
Dec 4, 2007, 09:12 PM

Did you play through it on multiplayer, or with a rock meter that lets you die? If you did it without dying, I'm interested how you went about doing the intro. For me to beat it, I have to tap the intro with both hands while I strum the first note with my elbow. It's tough, but it's the only way I can beat it.

P-Worm

Yaris
Dec 5, 2007, 01:52 PM
;) See, that's the thing. I got that score on practice mode. I should have made that more clear, as I'm not THAT good. What really killed me was the intro. I'm trying to get it down right now and i can hit most of it when I slow the song down. Once I get the game I'll practice a bunch more.

P-Worm
Dec 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
;) See, that's the thing. I got that score on practice mode. I should have made that more clear, as I'm not THAT good. What really killed me was the intro. I'm trying to get it down right now and i can hit most of it when I slow the song down. Once I get the game I'll practice a bunch more.

I would agree with you that the intro is by far the hardest part. If you can get past that, you can beat the song after a few tries by using a good star power path. If you're interested, I can post the two hand fingering chart I made for the intro.

P-Worm

FF_productions
Dec 5, 2007, 07:19 PM
You guys are nuts... That's all I can say.

2nyRiggz
Dec 5, 2007, 09:16 PM
All I can say is I've fallen all over this game...its very entertaining..I don't know how i'm gonna get through using all the buttons:eek:

I enjoy this game so much and it actually feels like I'm playing a guitar....beautiful I say.

Bless

P-Worm
Dec 5, 2007, 11:51 PM
All I can say is I've fallen all over this game...its very entertaining..I don't know how i'm gonna get through using all the buttons:eek:

I enjoy this game so much and it actually feels like I'm playing a guitar....beautiful I say.

Bless

Ha ha! Welcome to the light. :D

What I absolutely love about the game is how freaking hard it is. I remember when you would work forever just to be able to beat one level in a video game - Contra and R-Type come to mind. That feeling has come back with Guitar Hero. The game will piss you off beyond belief, but when you work at it and finally manage to hit that near impossible solo, the feeling of accomplishment is just so awesome that you can't manage not to keep playing.

P-Worm

dukebound85
Dec 6, 2007, 12:06 AM
it took me 3 months to beat a level in donkey kong on snes. this was pretty recent too when i beat it

i hate games that are hard

twistedlegato
Dec 8, 2007, 11:32 AM
Gah! I am looking EVERYWHERE and i can't find Guitar Hero 3 for the Wii!
:(:(

someguy
Dec 8, 2007, 03:09 PM
I would agree with you that the intro is by far the hardest part. If you can get past that, you can beat the song after a few tries by using a good star power path. If you're interested, I can post the two hand fingering chart I made for the intro.

P-Worm
I am interested in seeing the chart you made. I have my own method and am able to nearly 100% the intro using it. Here's how..

I tilt the guitar straight up and down so the end of it is near my face. Using my chin, that's right, my chin, I hold the green button down through the entire section. I use my fretting hand to quickly (and I mean quickly) tap buttons red through orange, and use my strumming hand to strum down on each of the notes except the greens.

Theoretically, I could probably just strum once and play the whole thing, but I find the strumming helps me keep the rhythm with my fret hand better.

Sure I look funny, but not as funny as the guy I'm competing against (I compete in local tournaments for fun)! :D

P-Worm
Dec 8, 2007, 07:31 PM
I am interested in seeing the chart you made. I have my own method and am able to nearly 100% the intro using it. Here's how..

I tilt the guitar straight up and down so the end of it is near my face. Using my chin, that's right, my chin, I hold the green button down through the entire section. I use my fretting hand to quickly (and I mean quickly) tap buttons red through orange, and use my strumming hand to strum down on each of the notes except the greens.

Theoretically, I could probably just strum once and play the whole thing, but I find the strumming helps me keep the rhythm with my fret hand better.

Sure I look funny, but not as funny as the guy I'm competing against (I compete in local tournaments for fun)! :D

Heh, I tried your method a few times, but it was just too awkward a position for me. Here's mine. Left index stays on green the whole time, R1 stands for right index finger, L2 stands for middle finger, etc. The different font colors stand for the fret buttons. Black is used for yellow so that it is more legible. This is for left handed people.

L2
R1
R2
L2
R1
R2
R2
L3
R2
L3
R2
L2
R2
L3
R2
R1

Repeat.

For a lot of the R2's, R1 could be substituted as that finger is just jumping back and forth, I just choose to use my middle finger because it is longer and I can connect easier with it.

P-Worm

2nyRiggz
Dec 9, 2007, 05:06 AM
^Now try doing that very fast well until your fingers tie up in a knot and you'll beat that song...good stuff;)

I'm still trying to get use to using the 4th button and its murdering me.

Bless