Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mufasa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Why did apple choose to use a flash memory, i understand its the ne wbig thing but wuts so good about it. I thought about it and i think maybe it makes the music and videos run smoother than a harddrive or something. Can anyone tell me the difference?

drnycallstar19

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
i could do whatever i want with an ipod touch with the flash drive run, jump, jog, walk, play baseball, basketball, tennis, mow the lawn, and it would still work. Try doing that with an ipod classic with a hard drive and it wouldn't work right after a while. That's the one and only advantage in know of flash. theres other ones just not sure of anymore.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
from what i understand flash also just works a lot better with the touch screen since it s so much more responsive..

thegrue

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2007
Why did apple choose to use a flash memory, i understand its the ne wbig thing but wuts so good about it. I thought about it and i think maybe it makes the music and videos run smoother than a harddrive or something. Can anyone tell me the difference?

More reliable, faster access times, better battery life, less fragile, thinner, lighter.

If it had a hard disk, I wouldn't have purchased it.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
anyway...flash is better in all ways you can think of, except storage capacity and price

Ahh, except those are always temporary conditions. Within a few years Flash will be so standard, the young'ins will wonder what we used in the bad old days:p

To the OP, I suggest you take a look at the size of the old iPod minis and the previous gen nanos. That right there tells you enough about why Flash is king.

rusty.

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Houston, Texas
My ipod video always worked I don't know why people are bashing hard drives now never had trouble with on on the video bought mine when they first came out.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
My ipod video always worked I don't know why people are bashing hard drives now never had trouble with on on the video bought mine when they first came out.

My old 5th Gen iPod used to have a slightly longer delay when loading songs compared to my nano. There is a noticeable difference. Granted, the newer iPods are probably better than my three-year old iPod. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.