PDA

View Full Version : Mac Pro - case re:design ideas

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 11:15 AM
So, we all have ideas of hardware and what not. We have had a pass at the case a couple times. But I thought I would make a thread to discuss ideas and what not. I am not saying it needs to be updated or that there are problems with it. However, all things get refreshed at some point, I don't think the Mac Pro will be any different. I will kick it off with this:

All credit for this goes to Phizz at thinksecret, Aluminum and Glass: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=79330

http://www.rosswebster.com/macpro2008.jpg

What do you think?

sblasl
Oct 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
Leave it just the way it is.

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 11:27 AM
Leave it just the way it is.

i don't have the power to do that. And you know it will change eventually.

xUKHCx
Oct 2, 2007, 11:30 AM
What do you think?

Would there be holes cut into the glass for the CD/DVD/BD/HDDVD drives.

It looks a bit generic but the germ of the idea is there I can see this being developed into something classy.

irishgrizzly
Oct 2, 2007, 11:31 AM
So, we all have ideas of hardware and what not. We have had a pass at the case a couple times. But I thought I would make a thread to discuss ideas and what not. I am not saying it needs to be updated or that there are problems with it. However, all things get refreshed at some point, I don't think the Mac Pro will be any different. I will kick it off with this:

All credit for this goes to Phizz at thinksecret, Aluminum and Glass: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=79330

What do you think?

I've not seen any other mock ups of Mac Pro designs, but I really like the one you've just posted very in keeping with the new iMac. But wouldn't glass be impractical for a machine that gives out lots of heat? Plus I'd miss the handles (unless they got the weight down).

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 11:37 AM
I've not seen any other mock ups of Mac Pro designs, but I really like the one you've just posted very in keeping with the new iMac. But wouldn't glass be impractical for a machine that gives out lots of heat? Plus I'd miss the handles (unless they got the weight down).

Well the original poster says there are indentations on each end. You can sort of see it on the side angle, there is about 1-2 inches that you can grab on to.

The glass, not sure about the heat. I think someone said they could have a small opening around the rim of the glass. I don't think the Mac Pro is super hot though, and with the 45nm chips even less so. The back wouldn't have the glass and would like it is now presumably.

DVD drive openings, I think they are built into the glass. From the looks of it, you wouldn't have to open the glass door or anything. Missing also are the ports but we know if they did this for real they would be there.

bigbird
Oct 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
I also say leave it the way it is.

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
I also say leave it the way it is.

You're boring.

dongmin
Oct 2, 2007, 12:10 PM
What do you think?Putting an Apple logo on a Dell box does not make it a 'design.'

Next.

http://www.desktopads.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/2179_xps_410_300_tn.jpg

dollystereo
Oct 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
Put eSata on the tower, with a Raid Controller

JesterJJZ
Oct 2, 2007, 12:28 PM
You're boring.

No...he's practical. My tower is a workhorse that sits under my desk. I don't really care what it looks like. Even if I did care I'd say the current design looks great. I doubt any changes will be very significant.

lofight
Oct 2, 2007, 12:29 PM
i think it's pretty nice.. or you could make the outside totally black with the front and back cover (were the dvd burner and usb ports are) aluminium!

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 12:43 PM
No...he's practical. My tower is a workhorse that sits under my desk. I don't really care what it looks like. Even if I did care I'd say the current design looks great. I doubt any changes will be very significant.

I don't care what it looks like either. I think the current design is great as well, and more than likely we would say the new one will look great.

I don't see the point in saying, "the current one is great, leave it alone." We know it is going to change one day. This thread is simply to talk about that a little. If you want it to stay the same, you don't have to comment. Although you are more than welcome to, but give reasons as to why it shouldn't change.

I don't think it will be a significant change either. But who really knows?

Multimedia
Oct 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
I hope they don't change it 'cause I love it just the way it is.

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 12:53 PM
I hope they don't change it 'cause I love it just the way it is.

Thanks for backing me up MM! ;) So, what are your feelings for this month?

bigbird
Oct 2, 2007, 01:20 PM
I get the feeling that a lot of contributors to the Macrumors forums are quite young, as in teenagers. I base this on some of the inane and/or confrontational nature of some reponses. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it makes me a little hesitant to post becuase often a non-relevant followup occurs without an explanation. I give an opinion without asking for a critique of that opinion. Something like that often comes from a person who may be on the immature or insecure side.

chelseasian
Oct 2, 2007, 01:23 PM
Maybe they can make it a little smaller. I find my G5 taking up a lot of space. But again the "space" back then was needed for air flow etc. to cool the machine. I would appreciate something around the size of the old G4's which is slightly smaller than the G5s/mac Pros... Other than that, I am happpy generally with the design. And maybe instead of a DVD tray, we could have it slot loading like the iMacs and MBPs.

bigbird
Oct 2, 2007, 01:30 PM
And maybe instead of a DVD tray, we could have it slot loading like the iMacs and MBPs.

I don't know about most of you, but I DESPISE slot loading optical drives. I find they are way too prone to failure and collection of dust.

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
I get the feeling that a lot of contributors to the Macrumors forums are quite young, as in teenagers. I base this on some of the inane and/or confrontational nature of some reponses. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but it makes me a little hesitant to post becuase often a non-relevant followup occurs without an explanation. I give an opinion without asking for a critique of that opinion. Something like that often comes from a person who may be on the immature or insecure side.

Your post didn't explain why they should leave it. You just said "leave it the way it is." Your post could have explained why you like it the way it is and why they shouldn't change. If you want to demand explanations from me, you should offer your own. That way I would be able to have an actual discussion about it changing/not changing which is the point of the thread.

Posting on a public forum typically means your opinion will be critiqued. If you didn't want your opinion critiqued, you could have left it out of the discussion. As you can see, I did not ask for my opinion of your opinion to be critiqued, yet you had no qualms about doing so, and I must say in a much more confrontational way, by supposing that I am a teenager which is rather rude.

If you found my response confrontational, I don't know what to tell you. It seems however that you may have some insecurities, namely, the need to make yourself sound as if you are uber mature on a public forum where everything is anonymous.

EDIT: Don't take things so seriously. It is a forum.

product26
Oct 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
And maybe instead of a DVD tray, we could have it slot loading like the iMacs and MBPs.

far too slow

atari1356
Oct 2, 2007, 01:45 PM
Maybe they can make it a little smaller. I find my G5 taking up a lot of space. But again the "space" back then was needed for air flow etc. to cool the machine.

I'm with you there. The current Mac Pro is a heavy beast. Slim it down and knock a couple inches off of the top so it fits in more computer desks/armoires.

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 01:50 PM
Having the Mac Pro be lighter would be good, a tad smaller as well. But I would prefer more functionality over a smaller design. A second row of HDs for a total of 8 would be stellar!

janitorC7
Oct 2, 2007, 01:55 PM
I like you, it clean, its apple-esque

AC773
Oct 2, 2007, 03:23 PM
The Mac Pro looks great, but there will come a time when Apple will just have to redesign it. I'm not saying that time is now, but you can't hang on to the same look forever.

IMO the iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro are all getting a little long in the tooth.

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 03:31 PM
The Mac Pro looks great, but there will come a time when Apple will just have to redesign it. I'm not saying that time is now, but you can't hang on to the same look forever.

IMO the iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro are all getting a little long in the tooth.

Exactly. It is going to happen. Although, the iMac was just updated. Do you not like it? Or did you want a radical departure from the chin and ACD like stand?

What I find odd is Apple moving away from white in some areas, the iMac for example, but keeping it in the peripherals; keyboard, mighty mouse, etc.

Spikeanator6982
Oct 2, 2007, 04:02 PM
I've not seen any other mock ups of Mac Pro designs, but I really like the one you've just posted – very in keeping with the new iMac. But wouldn't glass be impractical for a machine that gives out lots of heat? Plus I'd miss the handles (unless they got the weight down).

actually..glass conducts heat..its up there with aluminum..i believe aluminums specific heat rating is like 867 and glass is 710 or something like that. so..glass is its self, a conductor of heat, thats why windows are double/triple paned the AIR inbetween the layers of glass is acting as the insulator.

unless..of course u meant there are no see able air vents, for that..well..there has to be, no way can it stay cool enough without some fans pushing air through it.

THX1139
Oct 2, 2007, 04:41 PM
This design is impractical and not an improvement over the current design. That's why they pay Johnathan Ive's and his team the big bucks and not leave the design to amateurs.

THX1139
Oct 2, 2007, 04:44 PM

I'm 50. Thanks for sharing your feelings. No soup for you. Next!

jamesi
Oct 2, 2007, 04:47 PM
Putting an Apple logo on a Dell box does not make it a 'design.'

Next.

http://www.desktopads.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/2179_xps_410_300_tn.jpg

this is exactly what it reminded me of, one of the dell workstations.
usually i think ppl's own mockups for apple products are horrible, but i didnt think this one was bad by any means. i guess its just too boring.

Digital Skunk
Oct 2, 2007, 05:08 PM
If they have to change it they have to make it bigger!

I want to put more HDDs in it, more PCI cards, more everything. Make the case bigger and put more ports, slots, and connections to it. Give me a RAID controller standard, and eSATA standard, and just more stuff!

That is the best change they could make to the thing.

SDAVE
Oct 2, 2007, 06:00 PM
Apple got it right with the G5 case, I don't know how they will top this one.

It HAS to be better than the current one...G4/G3 were ugly.

The current one is well ventilated and light imo for how much power it packs.

thxdave
Oct 2, 2007, 06:57 PM
I kinda like the current hard-anodized aluminum case. The one thing that I'd love to see would be a modular version of it. I'd like to be able to remove, for instance, the upper and lower handles and substitute a set of 19" rack mount ears/rails. I have a production desk that has standard EIA 19" mounting rails as well as a server rack in my office and I'd love to put the case in there and get it up off the floor.....as soon as I buy my first Mac Pro.....as soon as they release it.....as soon as 10.5 arrives....as soon as we get what we've all been waiting for!!! ;)
dave

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 2, 2007, 07:02 PM
Im betting the next MacPro is made of ........ not aluminum.:apple:

thxdave
Oct 2, 2007, 07:14 PM
Another thing occurred to me looking at those proposed glass cases....what happens with RFI problems? With all the electronics tucked away inside those cases, I'd imagine that the amount of radio frequency noise inside would be splattering all over the room. Maybe they'd make it out of leaded crystal? ;)

statikcat
Oct 2, 2007, 07:21 PM
If they have to change it they have to make it bigger!

I want to put more HDDs in it, more PCI cards, more everything. Make the case bigger and put more ports, slots, and connections to it. Give me a RAID controller standard, and eSATA standard, and just more stuff!

That is the best change they could make to the thing.

Yes the limited pci slots stink if your use a lot of pci cards for your job. Expansion chasis and esata card are expensive too.

AC773
Oct 2, 2007, 10:20 PM
Exactly. It is going to happen. Although, the iMac was just updated. Do you not like it? Or did you want a radical departure from the chin and ACD like stand?

What I find odd is Apple moving away from white in some areas, the iMac for example, but keeping it in the peripherals; keyboard, mighty mouse, etc.

The iMac is fine, it's just that the latest revision didn't change much other than the materials. The basic design hasn't been changed since it was introduced as the G5 iMac. The same is true elsewhere, and certainly quantifiable:

The iMac design dates back to the iMac G5 (3 years 2 months old)
The MacBook Pro design dates back to the Aluminum Powerbook G4 (4 years 10 months old)
The Mac Mini design hasn't changed since its introduction as the G4 mini (2 years 10 months old)
And the Mac Pro design dates back to the Powermac G5 (4 years 4 months old)

Yes, these designs work great - especially the Mac Pro. But the fact remains that they're getting kinda stale. Leaders in the corporate world stay that way by constantly changing and improving their product to perpetually edge out the competition. Aside from upgrading components every cycle (with the possible exception of graphics cards, wink wink) I haven't seen Apple do a lot to keep pace. Maybe it's just me.

My sincere wish is that all this iPhone business was a temporary distraction so at some point they can get their design gurus back on the Mac. :)

P.S. - We're in agreement about the peripherals; white and black is a color combination best left in the 50's. The new pastel nano colors probably belong there too, but that's another thread. :p

Kpjoslee
Oct 2, 2007, 11:58 PM
I think we might see a redesign late Oct. or early Nov. when Mac Pro gets updated with new Xeon lineups. But more than likely, it will be when Nehalem comes out.

damado
Oct 3, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah I would imagine Apple is waiting for an upgrade significant enough to make current owners willing to upgrade.

velocityg4
Oct 3, 2007, 01:29 PM
Honestly I always loved the look of the real old beige Macs. I would be ecstatic if they went with the Quadra 900/950 case or the slightly modified Workgroup Server 9150.

I am serious I do prefer these designs.

suneohair
Oct 3, 2007, 01:44 PM
Yeah I would imagine Apple is waiting for an upgrade significant enough to make current owners willing to upgrade.

I don't know. The iMac upgrade overall was rather modest when compared to say the entire pro line going eight-core. An eight-core line is definitely worthy of a case redesign if the iMac going SR is worth it.

There again, I don't think in all cases a significant hardware update is tied to a case design. Especially in these times where Apple jumped the hardware to Intel without redesigning their computers. It seems that they are now catching up with that aim.

Squonk
Oct 3, 2007, 01:55 PM
The iMac design dates back to the iMac G5 (3 years 2 months old)
The MacBook Pro design dates back to the Aluminum Powerbook G4 (4 years 10 months old)
The Mac Mini design hasn't changed since its introduction as the G4 mini (2 years 10 months old)
And the Mac Pro design dates back to the Powermac G5 (4 years 4 months old)

With respect to the MBP, I like the current form factor with the exception of the hard drive location. I'd like the replacement to be akin to the MacBook in its ease of use. But honestly, I cannot image that Apple is going to leave a design in place for 5+ years. So, that to me says that a heavily revised MBP and MP are soon to come.

FF_productions
Oct 3, 2007, 01:57 PM
Honestly I always loved the look of the real old beige Macs. I would be ecstatic if they went with the Quadra 900/950 case or the slightly modified Workgroup Server 9150.

I am serious I do prefer these designs.

It would be nice but it would just be a FAR step back as far as design goes. This is 2007, those computers were great looking back in their day. Apple has moved on.

pagansoul
Oct 4, 2007, 12:22 PM
I've actually had dreams of designing a new MacPro like system. I like the idea of modular pieces that you can add that stack on each other. Almost set up like a raid case. You can buy a frame with 5 slots or 10 slots or even attach them together. Each slot is the same size that can house a collection of devices. One can contain a HD or Blu-ray drive. One can hold 2 HDs. One can house a collection of card readers/USB/Firewire etc..... One can hold the main processor and RAM. One can hold a collection of cards. Everything is standardized so you can add any internal brand you want. The frame can be customized to any color you want. Just go to any place that sells wall paper or craft paper and cut to fit the outside frame. Your system grows with you. It would also be nice to have a desk just made for the system. I do love how easy it was to add HDs and RAM to my current MacPro but have not tried to add any thing else.

Multimedia
Oct 4, 2007, 12:26 PM
At this point I would settle for a cardboard box as long as all the parts stay together. lol. I still can't imagine how they could improve the current design. I'm open to whatever they have decided. That Apple Insider Story Apple announcements brewing for late October [updated] (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/04/apple_announcements_brewing_for_late_october.html) implies they may plan to announce the new Mac Pro on the eve of Leopard's shipping. Hope so.

hugodrax
Oct 4, 2007, 03:34 PM

What do you think?

That looks aweful, like a bad dell/apple hybrid. I hope Apple does not do this.

Never owning Macs before I really like the Mac Pro case, it is understated but built well and the insides are so much nicer than the dells etc.. I think it is going to be very difficult improve on it. I prefer the more elegant understated look.

TantalizedMind
Oct 9, 2007, 04:46 PM

I'd tap.. I mean BUY that!

Digital Skunk
Oct 9, 2007, 06:27 PM
I like the black on Aluminum thing going on. If they made the grilled part of the case and the back part black then that would be cool. Leave the outsides Alu and keep the handles on them to. The machine is too heavy to not have handles.

leekohler
Oct 9, 2007, 06:35 PM
I like the black on Aluminum thing going on. If they made the grilled part of the case and the back part black then that would be cool. Leave the outsides Alu and keep the handles on them to. The machine is too heavy to not have handles.

I like the design too. But I agree the new one will need handles. Even with the indentations, I don't think it will work.

MacTO
Oct 10, 2007, 04:52 PM
I love the current design as is. :)

Cheers. :apple:

synth3tik
Oct 10, 2007, 04:53 PM
That design makes it look like a low end Dell.

contoursvt
Oct 10, 2007, 05:03 PM
Speaking of Dell cases, I really like this one but who the hell is going to pay that much for a gaming box... I dont care what it has inside!
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Sean Dempsey
Oct 10, 2007, 06:45 PM
Here is the CONFIRMED new case:

dontwalkhand
Oct 10, 2007, 07:39 PM

LOL, Though for some reason, I wouldn't be suprised. I love the current Mac cases as they are.

lofight
Oct 11, 2007, 10:30 AM

"wooowww, it's looks sooo different, how dooo you know??" said Cartman in his wellknown voice. :p

chaosbunny
Oct 11, 2007, 11:15 AM
Speaking of Dell cases, I really like this one but who the hell is going to pay that much for a gaming box... I dont care what it has inside!
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720h2c?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

OMG, the design of a dell box actually pleases me!

Did hell just freeze over? :)

Digital Skunk
Oct 11, 2007, 02:09 PM
OMG, the design of a dell box actually pleases me!

Did hell just freeze over? :)

No it didn't freeze over. The Devil didn't even fart. That Dell box looks like every other machine they make, plasticy and ugly.

contoursvt
Oct 11, 2007, 05:44 PM
Its not any more plasticy than this one and I dont recall anyone saying it was overly plasticy then...
http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/2001pm_g4_522x572.jpg

No it didn't freeze over. The Devil didn't even fart. That Dell box looks like every other machine they make, plasticy and ugly.

SDAVE
Oct 11, 2007, 06:11 PM
The old Mac cases were fugly

contoursvt
Oct 11, 2007, 08:37 PM
The old Mac cases were fugly

I didnt hear anyone complain back then. Was the best thing since sliced bread...:rolleyes:

hugodrax
Oct 11, 2007, 11:01 PM

**** that is a hideous looking case, it has a cheap look to it also. Almost as bad as those tacky Alienware cases.

I hope apple never goes in that direction :)

hugodrax
Oct 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
Its not any more plasticy than this one and I dont recall anyone saying it was overly plasticy then...

Those are hideous also :)

I thought they were ugly. The G5/Mac Pro cases are nice and look more like high end electronics instead of like the cheap consumer overthetop designed products Dell,alienware sells.

dontwalkhand
Oct 12, 2007, 01:12 AM
Those are hideous also :)

I thought they were ugly. The G5/Mac Pro cases are nice and look more like high end electronics instead of like the cheap consumer overthetop designed products Dell,alienware sells.

Why does it seem like I am the only one who can appreciate the design of the G4 cases now? :). Just feel and knock around the plastics of a G4, now do the same to the Dell, the G4 still feels very sturdy and as if it was built to much higher quality standards despite being plastic, not cheap quality plastic such as the one on the dells.

And you can't forget the types of computers PC manufacturers were churning out at the time of those G4s, ugly biege boxes!

anti-microsoft
Oct 12, 2007, 02:11 AM
Suneohair said it would be aluminum and glass, right?
Here's my response: (I know its not as good):p

Octobot
Oct 12, 2007, 07:46 AM
Check it..
http://www.alumamax.com/product.html

lofight
Oct 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
Check it..

they look nice!! but are they also nice when you buy them?

weblogik
Oct 12, 2007, 08:58 AM
I think thats the best looking mac ever

velocityg4
Oct 12, 2007, 11:14 AM

That design was alright, though I never particularly cared for the Quicksilver look I preferred the previous case revision. Still the Quadra 900/950 was the king.

erickkoch
Oct 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
The current design is fine by me but I wish it were a little smaller. My MP is so big it won't fit in the PC slot under my desk so I have to leave it on the floor. I would ask that the new design be a little smaller.

contoursvt
Oct 12, 2007, 12:20 PM
Check it..

Kinda ugly :( I think the standard aluminum finish is way nicer.

bupsy
Oct 16, 2007, 05:28 PM
The only thing i would change is the power button, perhaps modeling it after the current iPods middle button would make it easier to find without having to feel around for it. An eject button on the case for the superdrive would be nice too.

Bigheadache
Oct 16, 2007, 08:00 PM
I hope they just lose the handles. they look naff to me.

dontwalkhand
Oct 16, 2007, 10:55 PM
The only thing i would change is the power button, perhaps modeling it after the current iPods middle button would make it easier to find without having to feel around for it. An eject button on the case for the superdrive would be nice too.

The eject button on the case would just cause confusion like what happened in the Pre-G3 all the way up to the Graphite G4 days. When there is a CD in the drive, people wondered why the button would not do anything while there is a CD in there, removing the button altogether solved the confusion problem.

chelseasian
Oct 19, 2007, 10:14 AM
I would love for the new Mac pros to be smaller or slimmer. I have it under my desk but I ended up kicking it accidentally over the course of the day. Compared to the iMac, the Mac Pro does seem really bulky, but again it is not designed to be on the table, that's what the Cinema displays are for. :)

Digital Skunk
Oct 19, 2007, 10:42 AM

That's because it was about 5 years ago, when it was in style. Plastic is so yesterday, check the new iMacs and iPods.

Where have you been? :)

suneohair
Oct 19, 2007, 10:47 AM
That's because it was about 5 years ago, when it was in style. Plastic is so yesterday, check the new iMacs and iPods.

Where have you been? :)

I think the point here is that we all defend the current design because we like it, it has been around with us. At the time, people liked the G4s. Then the G5 hit. Same thing will happen this time. We all love the current design, however when they change it we will most likely come to like the next thing better as typically Apple will take a new design approach.

I think we have been getting in this train of thought with Apple lately, that their designs are just too classic for them to change. I think the changes will become less and less significant, for example the iMac keep the same general form but got some new materials and thus a new look.

I think that will hold true for Apple design for awhile. I also think Apple has less of a need to do radical things, like the iMac G4. They have become known for having great design, they don't need to reinvent the square or anything like that.

Regardless, the Mac Pro will change at some point. And most of us will like and come to know for years to come. Until the next thing hits.

hugodrax
Oct 20, 2007, 06:52 AM
Check it..

Paint it black, put the Isometric NeXT logos on the side. Bam. you got a NeXT workstation running NextStep.

pbkiller
Oct 20, 2007, 02:21 PM
BRING BACK THE CUBE! BRING BACK THE CUBE! BRING BACK THE CUBE!!!!!!!

Dual slot-in dvd-rw drives, quadcore, and with 2 HD storage spaces.... All that i need......