Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Just wondering what other peoples new iMacs power supplies are running at.

I find it crazy that mine spends most of its time in the 80-82C range. If I don't override the fan speeds, If I run the fans all at half their speed, it gets down to 64C idle.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Geesh that's a lot less than mine, I don't see how the difference in processor speed could make that much difference.

Hopefully one or two people with 2.8's will reply.

Kinkade

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
California
Mines at 61º and I'm just surfing, got a few other programs open. Nothing big.

I have the 2.8, and I don't worry to much about the temps. Yeah it sounds hot, but it is a computer. It gets hotter when I'm running a game or ripping a video or something that requires real work on my computers part, but it never gets hotter then I would expect. Certainty allot cooler then any PC with the same specs.

As long as it doesn't burn to touch the top of the imac, or the apple logo starts dripping off onto the desk its fine. When you cram all kinds of technology stuff into such a small space it gets hot. So don't worry.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I have a 2.8. It is currently 66 degrees under fairly standard usage for me.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Something is definately wrong with mine, everyone else being in the low 60's and I'm in the 80's,

What is your guys idle fan speeds? For those that can tell me.

Stock fan speeds for mine are 700rpm optical, 1200rpm hard drive, and 1200rpm CPU, and it spends A LOT of time there. After seeing the temps other people are getting, I am going to start forcing higher fan speeds with SMCFanControl all the time now. My bigger concern isn't the power supply, and definitely not the CPU, but it's the constant temp of the hard drive being 60-61C, which is at and above Western Digital's recommended thermal range for operating temperature. Temperature is a big killer of hard drives over time.

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
imac 1.1 update

Did you install the imac update 1.1? After that, I noticed temperatures dropped significantly. I have a 2.8, and noticed it was actually almost too hot to touch at the top, since 1.1 it just gets warm. I've noticed that it still gets hot in windows though, hopefully apple can fix that too with a bootcamp update.

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Did you install the imac update 1.1? After that, I noticed temperatures dropped significantly. I have a 2.8, and noticed it was actually almost too hot to touch at the top, since 1.1 it just gets warm. I've noticed that it still gets hot in windows though, hopefully apple can fix that too with a bootcamp update.

I don't think V1.1 installed properly I tried it twice but I don't think it installed.

I did it manually through the apple.com download. 5.1MB download.

EDIT:
Is there a way to see if I have v1.1 installed?

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
I don't think V1.1 installed properly I tried it twice but I don't think it installed.

I did it manually through the apple.com download. 5.1MB download.

EDIT:
Is there a way to see if I have v1.1 installed?

It depends. I can't even install 1.1 because it says my computer doesn't need it, but my boot rom number is different from the ones they show in the update page...

My fans keep at : optical -700, cpu - 1200 - hdd - 1200 when idle. You're fine with your speeds, just the psu temp seems to be a little high. what's your room temp? do you have any heat source around? did you run any heavy task to see what is the maximum psu temp?

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
It depends. I can't even install 1.1 because it says my computer doesn't need it, but my boot rom number is different from the ones they show in the update page...

My fans keep at : optical -700, cpu - 1200 - hdd - 1200 when idle. You're fine with your speeds, just the psu temp seems to be a little high. what's your room temp? do you have any heat source around? did you run any heavy task to see what is the maximum psu temp?

The PSU temp goes way down when I actually start to do stuff (when the fans realize hey it's time to speedup now) Idle it's 80C though, my room is a little hot. Ambient temp is like 31-32C usually, I blame it on the computer cause the AC is set to 72F, and the other rooms are freezing.

I'm probably just worrying for nothing, while 80C sounds like a lot it might end up not being for the design of it. And I have absolutely no lockup or hang issues, so obviously the heat isn't causing any problems. Just that in the past with windows systems I've built, heat always caused problems.

Then again everything in the iMac except the HDD is based on mobile hardware, the CPU alone can handle a crazy thermal load of 100C, and it never reaches that, so CPU is obviously fine. The only other thing I'd maybe be concerned about is that the HDD spends a lot of time at 58C, sometimes as high as 60C but never over, According to the tech document from Western Digital for the 500GB drive in the imac, max operating temp shouldn't exceed 60C.

But I guess if anything ever does happen, it's Apples fault, I got the Apple Care. They can deal with it, even though I hate having to send stuff in to get it repaired.

RRK

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2007
USA/Ohio/Columbus
My temperatures parallel the OP's. I thought I actually noticed a heat increase after the update. Mine was never too hot to touch.

*Edit

I went to apple.com and downloaded the update and it let me install it again. The temps immediately started to fall. Make sure you got the iMacSoftwareUpdate 1.1 and not the iMacFirmwareUpdate 1.2.

cah87

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Just wondering what other peoples new iMacs power supplies are running at.

I find it crazy that mine spends most of its time in the 80-82C range. If I don't override the fan speeds, If I run the fans all at half their speed, it gets down to 64C idle.

My Power supply reads 62c

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
77C, after an hour or two of light-ish usage. 2.8 24". The scary thing is that the top still feels much cooler than it used to pre-1.1!

Oh well, I have apple care if it's a problem.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
mines chilling on a nice 83°C

EDIT: wait 82°C now lol.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 3,474

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
I don't think the we can call our iMacs computers, they are ovens, or very expensive space heaters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.