PDA

View Full Version : How to make you Apple earbuds 10x better sounding!

TheSpaz
Oct 3, 2007, 07:23 PM
I just figured this out today...

I have a new better way to wear my iPod earbuds. They actually sound better with better sounding bass and mids too!

Turn the bud upside down and face the speaker outward facing your front and wrap the wire up and around your ear. Try it, youll love it!

Gotta go, see ya!

mcdj
Oct 3, 2007, 07:32 PM
Wearing them like that would make you look like a complete spaz.

jensepollense
Oct 3, 2007, 07:36 PM

hence his name lol

TheSpaz
Oct 3, 2007, 08:01 PM

Whatever dude... Don't wear them like that then. I wasn't kidding about this thread, I just wanted everyone to realize how much better they sound like this.

JMax1
Oct 3, 2007, 09:08 PM
gotta say I agree with the spaz. Thar's how i wear 'em

mkrishnan
Oct 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
This thread is even more worthless than usual without pics. Could you show what that looks like? I'm confused! :p

puckhead193
Oct 3, 2007, 09:15 PM
when not in public i wear them by having the wire/long part go horizontal so it sticks out... sounds a million times better

bousozoku
Oct 3, 2007, 09:33 PM
I've found that plugging them into the iPod headphone jack makes them work much better and turning on the iPod helps a lot, too.

bvledford
Oct 3, 2007, 10:09 PM
theSpaz was just pointing out something helpful..you guys don't have to jump all over him about it. At least he is contributing to the site and not tearing down YOUR comments

raptor96
Oct 4, 2007, 12:19 AM
I agree. This seems like useful info if you use the Apple buds. I will say that pics indeed would help. Though I'm fine just using my Shures which make the sound go right into my brain :D

bigbadnewill
Oct 4, 2007, 05:19 AM
If you wear the ear buds properly, ie put your left arm over your head and puling your right ear back (Opening your ear better), then inserting the bud (and vice versa) then the quality is greatly improved anyways, as it makes a vacuum type arrangement. I very rarely can be bothered wearing them like this though, i usually just stick them in and go for it.

Don't think I could use Spaz's method, i'd feel a bit self-conscious.

Osarkon
Oct 4, 2007, 06:13 AM
Interesting idea, if my headphones ever die on me I'll be sure to give it a shot.

I don't mind looking a bit daft walking around, hence walking around with over the ear headphones in town, with about a metre of cable in my pocket. I prefer that the music sounds good. :)

TheSpaz
Oct 4, 2007, 07:51 AM
Sorry guys... I can't post pictures because I'm on vacation in Florida right now and I don't know how I'd possibly get to post a photo from my iPod touch. Just try to follow my instructions. I could try to be more clear.

1. Take the earned and flip it over so the cord is pointing straight up
2. Spin the earbud around so the speaker part is facing away from you (like headlights on a car)
3. Put them in your ears like that... They'll go in sideways compared to normal.
4. Flip the cord around the back of your ears and you're done.

There, I tried to make it simple as possible without pictures.

stevebob206
Oct 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
OH MY GOD!

WOW!

haha you are right!!!

the earbuds sound SOOOOO much better now!

I never knew I could get this kinda sounds out of these!!!

thanks man!!!

bradgsanford
Oct 5, 2007, 09:14 PM
Put the right bud in your left ear and the left bud in your right ear. same effect. less spaz.

zephead
Oct 5, 2007, 11:31 PM
I don't understand the hostility. And to the OP, they don't make the sound as much as 10x better, maybe just 2x-3x, but it's an improvement. :)

lamerlizer
Oct 5, 2007, 11:39 PM
but its kinda uncomfortable ;)

TheSpaz
Oct 6, 2007, 06:55 AM
Put the right bud in your left ear and the left bud in your right ear. same effect. less spaz.

No, that's not the effect I was talking about... I'm talking about getting deeper bass by creating a better vacuum against your ears.

madmaxmedia
Oct 7, 2007, 02:20 AM
My ears are bleeding...was that supposed to happen? :confused:

;) I'm still not sure I get it, but I'll give it a try. Maybe someone can do a MS Paint drawing. :)

Jasonbot
Oct 7, 2007, 04:00 AM
It really work, looks funny but wow, pic (use your imagination):

timmypv15
Oct 7, 2007, 06:12 AM
no matter what thread you go in recently theres people bashing the OP no matter what the post is

i gave it a try and yeah they sound better
they don't stay in very well however

blackslayer
Oct 7, 2007, 06:31 AM
Now i understand why shure encourage their users to wear upside down!:p

smythey
Oct 7, 2007, 07:26 AM

This thread is pure gold - 10% informative, 90% just plain freaking hilarious!

LordEntropy
Oct 8, 2007, 08:27 AM

I am amazed by the number of people I see in London wearing their Shure E2cs wrong, one bloke looked like Lieutenant Uhura with them sticking out of his ears!! Probably explains why the new ones come with a poster sized picture of how to fit them

thesdx
Oct 8, 2007, 06:40 PM
It actually does sound better, but not unless your constantly holding them in. It looks hideous, too. I think one of the two is how you would wear them:

Tibwolf
Oct 8, 2007, 07:07 PM
Splurge the extra bux and buy a set of OEMs. This is ridiculous.

Jasonbot
Oct 8, 2007, 10:38 PM
It actually does sound better, but not unless your constantly holding them in. It looks hideous, too. I think one of the two is how you would wear them:

You need the old ones to make them stay in.

PkennethV
Oct 8, 2007, 10:40 PM
double post, please delete. thanks

PkennethV
Oct 8, 2007, 10:40 PM
Actually, the new ones seem to stay in fine for me.

mkrishnan
Oct 9, 2007, 07:42 AM

LOL thanks for the pic! Now I get it. I might try that at some point (although I use in-ears normally). :)

Howard Brazee
Oct 9, 2007, 08:12 AM
I have some cheap Sony ear buds that I bought for use exercising. They appear to be designed pretty much like you say, and sound much better.

puckhead193
Oct 9, 2007, 09:36 AM

that's how i wear mine

TheSpaz
Oct 9, 2007, 11:31 AM
I'm glad some people took my post seriously and tried it... I actually just bought Apple's other earbuds with the rubber around them and the sound even better than the normal earbuds worn this new way. I really like them... I only paid $35 for them.

thesdx
Oct 10, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'm glad some people took my post seriously and tried it... I actually just bought Apple's other earbuds with the rubber around them and the sound even better than the normal earbuds worn this new way. I really like them... I only paid $35 for them.

I've heard those in-ears have better sound, but they like to fall out of your ears. I have somewhat small ears, and many earbuds I have tried don't fit. Do these seem to fit well?

Ubuntu
Oct 10, 2007, 03:11 PM
I've heard those in-ears have better sound, but they like to fall out of your ears. I have somewhat small ears, and many earbuds I have tried don't fit. Do these seem to fit well?

They have three different-sized caps to use, and they fit okay. They never fell out, but the sound quality wasn't so great because they slipped out a bit.

But I used the caps from my Walkman phone's earbuds, and now they fit really, really well.

Howard Brazee
Oct 10, 2007, 03:28 PM

I tried one in-ear brand that sounded bad, and were incomfortable and cost around $80. One side got wax in it, and I was unable to clean it out and I threw it away.

The $15 Sony ones I got for exercise sound better than my iPod earphones - probably because the speaker faces forward.

The trouble with ear pods is we don't get to try them out - except I went to a Bose store and tried their $99 buds and they are on my Christmas list.

Rooskibar03
Oct 10, 2007, 04:55 PM
Somewhat of a tanget.

NCIS last night, McGee is wearing his iPod headphones this way.

I cracked a smile thinking about this thread, then had to explain what was so funny.

TheSpaz
Oct 10, 2007, 05:37 PM
Somewhat of a tanget.

NCIS last night, McGee is wearing his iPod headphones this way.

I cracked a smile thinking about this thread, then had to explain what was so funny.

Cool!

Eric Lewis
Oct 10, 2007, 05:39 PM
I just figured this out today...

I have a new better way to wear my iPod earbuds. They actually sound better with better sounding bass and mids too!

Turn the bud upside down and face the speaker outward facing your front and wrap the wire up and around your ear. Try it, youll love it!

Gotta go, see ya!

i dont understand> pictures?

Schtumple
Oct 10, 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm actually really surprised how much this worked

shame I have to have it full volume to be able to hear anything....

My poor buds are badly dying...

cooldukenukem
Nov 16, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hmm, I just discovered this today by trying it and am surprised to find that other people have noticed it. Weird

Rawkfist
Nov 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
I know this thread is 4 years old but I had to comment. I do not recall seeing anyone wear their buds this way. Guess it shows most people prefer style over substance. I haven't tried the Apple buds this way because I don't use them. I have always put the cable over and behind my ears when using whatever brand of earphone I might be using. Shure has always recommended this method.

Shadyriley
Nov 16, 2011, 11:32 PM
I can't believe people still use these headphones, they constantly fall out of my ears and are ridiculously over priced.