Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
Is it worth buying/reading? I'm thinking about it as a christmas gift from Barnes and Noble. Have you read it? Is it good? :apple:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Is it worth buying/reading? I'm thinking about it as a christmas gift from Barnes and Noble. Have you read it? Is it good? :apple:

iCon is good and informative but it's a biography. I've not read iWoz but a friend said it was good - its an autobiography so more authentic and from a different perspective, obviously.

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
thanks, i will. I've seen iWoz in the store before, but not iCon

No problamo! I'm on the hunt for one and am trying my best to get some more in Louisville book stores. I've read the reviews and they all say that both of them are pretty good! Can't wait to read em'! :apple:

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
I've read iWoz, but not iCon (on my list to get!).

iWoz has some interesting tidbits in it, but he gets far too technical in my opinion - it almost comes across as massaging his own ego, and trying to impress people that might actually understand the technology he's talking about.

There is actually very little about Apple in there though, and very little about his relationship with Jobs and how Apple grew (which was what I had hoped for personally).

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY

iWoz has some interesting tidbits in it, but he gets far too technical in my opinion - it almost comes across as massaging his own ego, and trying to impress people that might actually understand the technology he's talking about.

There is actually very little about Apple in there though, and very little about his relationship with Jobs and how Apple grew (which was what I had hoped for personally).

That's supprising! Is their a second edition to this... b/c I've noticed one book with a diffrent title, and another with a similar yet diffrent title as well. Just go to barnes and noble or their site and search iWoz. Look @ the titles of the book and tell me what you think. :apple:

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
That's supprising! Is their a second edition to this... b/c I've noticed one book with a diffrent title, and another with a similar yet diffrent title as well. Just go to barnes and noble or their site and search iWoz. Look @ the titles of the book and tell me what you think. :apple:

I think the only difference is between hardback and softback (and the Audio version - which has a different tagline). As far as I know, the content is the same on all of them. It wasn't released all that long ago anyway, so I can't see a 2nd edition being released so soon.

chilipie

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
Englandshire

I concur. It's very interesting, and an enjoyable read, but he does strike me as being a bit egotistical.

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
I think the only difference is between hardback and softback (and the Audio version - which has a different tagline). As far as I know, the content is the same on all of them. It wasn't released all that long ago anyway, so I can't see a 2nd edition being released so soon.

Ok... I didn't check the release date, I should have. Thanks! :apple:

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
No problamo! I'm on the hunt for one and am trying my best to get some more in Louisville book stores. I've read the reviews and they all say that both of them are pretty good! Can't wait to read em'! :apple:

I bought a copy of "iWoz" at the Barnes & Noble on Hurstbourne Lane this past weekend, and they had several other copies as well. If they're sold out, I believe I saw it at the Borders just up the road (the one behind Smokey Bones).

I'd also recommend "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs," if you're interested in Apple/Steve books.

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
I bought a copy of "iWoz" at the Barnes & Noble on Hurstbourne Lane this past weekend, and they had several other copies as well. If they're sold out, I believe I saw it at the Borders just up the road (the one behind Smokey Bones).

I'd also recommend "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs," if you're interested in Apple/Steve books.

Wait... your LOCAL!!! HOOOORAYYY!!! Finally! Anyway... I was thinking about the Summit out in the east end. It's closest to where I live

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
Personally I wasn't over impressed with icon, it goes over the top with its snide Steve bashing. Steve did try (unsuccessfully) to have it banned, which is probably as good a reason to buy it as any.

iWoz is a great book; no thats a lie its actually quite rambling and disjointed, but I have such huge respect for Woz that he can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. As a young teenager he designed working computers far more advanced than most production units of the day and on paper only as he couldn't afford the components! He claims that he came up with the basic design for the Apple I in this way years before he built it.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Personally I wasn't over impressed with icon, it goes over the top with its snide Steve bashing. Steve did try (unsuccessfully) to have it banned, which is probably as good a reason to buy it as any.

Agreed, you can almost hear the jealousy creeping in, but it is pretty informative. Jobs had it banned from all Apple stores, though, purely because some stupid publisher thought it would be good to make the "C" a capital. The author has gone on record saying it was never meant to be like that.

iWoz is a great book; no thats a lie its actually quite rambling and disjointed, but I have such huge respect for Woz that he can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned. As a young teenager he designed working computers far more advanced than most production units of the day and on paper only as he couldn't afford the components! He claims that he came up with the basic design for the Apple I in this way years before he built it.

He's comes across as a bit strange if you ask me.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT

I concur. It's very interesting, and an enjoyable read, but he does strike me as being a bit egotistical.

I loved iWoz. It made me respect and admire Woz a lot. I'm an electrical engineer myself, so I do understand the technical stuff, and really Woz was/is a genius engineer. Just really, really clever. That said, Woz does like to toot his own horn. He comes across as very proud of himself. I don't think he puts other people down though. As long as you realize that Woz has some quirks like any of us, and one of those is that he has a big ego, you'll enjoy the book I think.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I read iCon over the summer, very good biography. There is a lot to that man.

IDANNY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2003
Las vegas
icon pretty good

I liked icon thought it was pretty good. Haven't read iwoz wonder wich one was made first.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I liked icon thought it was pretty good. Haven't read iwoz wonder wich one was made first.

iWoz came after I think. A mate bought a hard copy and then got it signed when he saw Woz speak at Oxford Uni, and that was the middle of last year. iCon has been out for some time before that.

Guys, if you want another interesting read, get The Google Story.

marioman44

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
Help, I'm Doing A Book Report!!!

I need to pick a song that fits the book iWoz... the report is due tomorrow, and I have to explain why the song fits the book. Help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.