PDA

View Full Version : Leopard to Sync iPhone Notes

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2007, 09:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider publishes (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/03/leopard_notes_to_sync_with_iphone.html) a screenshot from the latest development builds of Mac OS X Leopard which reveal that Notes will likely sync with Leopard's Notes functionality:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/10/04/notes.png

The updated Mail (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/mail.html) client under Mac OS X Leopard offers Notes functionality that closely resembles the iPhone's notes application:

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/10/04/mail_gallery_notes20070611_500.jpg

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/04/leopard-to-sync-iphone-notes/)

DMann
Oct 4, 2007, 09:16 PM
This is hopefully the beginning of lots more integration between the iPhone and OS X machines.

Wyvernspirit
Oct 4, 2007, 09:17 PM
That is cool, though it may be a while before I upgrade. :(

/dev/toaster
Oct 4, 2007, 09:19 PM
I just hope they also add a todo list app and sync those over from mail.app

... even if they do, it sucks I can't upgrade past 1.0.2 :(

kbrain2929
Oct 4, 2007, 09:20 PM
Sweet! Just another little thing that makes Leopard that much better than windows! :p :apple:

Yuppi
Oct 4, 2007, 09:35 PM
Excellent *MrBurnsKindOfExcellent*
There already is a todo support in calendar right now. Even though it does not seem to be very advanced. I would really love that to sync with the iPhone too.
But at first the iPhone needs to be available in sweden :(

/dev/toaster
Oct 4, 2007, 09:38 PM
Excellent *MrBurnsKindOfExcellent*
There already is a todo support in calendar right now. Even though it does not seem to be very advanced. I would really love that to sync with the iPhone too.
But at first the iPhone needs to be available in sweden :(

Leopard moved the todo list from the calendar to mail.app

nato64
Oct 4, 2007, 09:40 PM
I'd also love ToDo lists. I'm using 9a559 right now and the universal ToDo list service is awesome. It just needs to goto the iPhone...

And I don't think Notes and ToDo items will sync using iTunes. Mail puts Notes and ToDo lists on your mail server so they can sync with other computers easily.

And I think the reason they've held off on incorporating a ToDo list app on the iPhone is because the way it syncs will be online instead of through iTunes. I think once Leopard hits the streets we'll get iPhone software update 1.2 :)

bluebomberman
Oct 4, 2007, 09:41 PM
Sweet! Just another little thing that makes Leopard that much better than windows! :p :apple:

Hey, Windows users need some TLC, too. When do they get Notes syncing?

I'm a bit displeased that it appears for the moment that you'll need to pair Leopard with the iPhone to get Notes syncing - I guess that a lot of $100 credits will be going to pay for Leopard...

DMann
Oct 4, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'd also love ToDo lists.

That's the reason they've held off on incorporating a ToDo list app on the iPhone. I think once Leopard hits the streets we'll get iPhone software update 1.2 :)

Yes, however, ToDolists have been moved to the mail.app in Leopard. This will be easier to integrate with the iPhone. Right now, I'm running a Great ToDoList 3rd party app on the iPhone. Leopard, I'm sure, will offer dramatic integration -- we shall soon find out.

/dev/toaster
Oct 4, 2007, 09:56 PM
Yes, however, ToDolists have been moved to the mail.app in Leopard. This will be easier to integrate with the iPhone. Right now, I'm running a Great ToDoList 3rd party app on the iPhone. Leopard, I'm sure, will offer dramatic integration -- we shall soon find out.

I would love to see over the air .mac syncs.

FreeState
Oct 4, 2007, 10:00 PM

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/mail.html

Noteworthy indeed.

Ever email yourself a reminder that gets lost in your inbox? Mail lets you write handy notes you can access from anywhere. Brainstorm ideas, jot down meeting notes, scribble a phone number notes can include graphics, colored text, and attachments. Group notes into folders or create Smart Mailboxes that group them for you. Since your notes folder acts like an email mailbox, you can retrieve notes from any Mac or PC.

Taylor C
Oct 4, 2007, 10:14 PM
Expected, but still really sexy.

coolbreeze
Oct 4, 2007, 10:20 PM
Wake me up when my $600 phone has a to-do list (ala my free Verizon work phone).

Sheesh. :mad:

robbyx
Oct 5, 2007, 12:40 AM
Syncing notes is good. No complaints. But how about tasks? I can't even fathom how Apple released the iPhone without task syncing? What on earth were they thinking???! It's absurd.

ivi7
Oct 5, 2007, 12:44 AM
I cant wait to see what other features the iPhone will have when leopard comes out.

FreeState
Oct 5, 2007, 12:45 AM
Syncing notes is good. No complaints. But how about tasks? I can't even fathom how Apple released the iPhone without task syncing? What on earth were they thinking???! It's absurd.

If you look at mail in 10.5 it has notes support and... To Do's... both are saved in a mail folder... Im sure you can put the dots together there:)

sonictonic
Oct 5, 2007, 01:12 AM
What if I don't use Mail.app? Will this notes thing in Leopard also be a stand alone app? Or do I have to load up Mail just to use Notes alone? :confused:

Anyone know?

bluebomberman
Oct 5, 2007, 01:16 AM

Noteworthy indeed.

Ever email yourself a reminder that gets lost in your inbox? Mail lets you write handy notes you can access from anywhere. Brainstorm ideas, jot down meeting notes, scribble a phone number notes can include graphics, colored text, and attachments. Group notes into folders or create Smart Mailboxes that group them for you. Since your notes folder acts like an email mailbox, you can retrieve notes from any Mac or PC.

I don't quite get it. Does this mean you need an IMAP/.mac email account to sync the Notes folder to a remote server? What about people with just one Windows PC, an iPhone, and no Mac? Will they be able to sync their Notes eventually?

FreeState
Oct 5, 2007, 01:16 AM
What if I don't use Mail.app? Will this notes thing in Leopard also be a stand alone app? Or do I have to load up Mail just to use Notes alone? :confused:

Anyone know?

Notes is actually system wide in 10.5 :

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/03/leopard_notes_to_sync_with_iphone.html

"In its public previews of Leopard, Apple has demonstrated a new feature dubbed "Notes," which has been commonly showcased as part of Mail 3.0 but is actually a new system-wide feature that can be accessed from just about anywhere in the OS."

FreeState
Oct 5, 2007, 01:54 AM
I don't quite get it. Does this mean you need an IMAP/.mac email account to sync the Notes folder to a remote server? What about people with just one Windows PC, an iPhone, and no Mac? Will they be able to sync their Notes eventually?

Thats a good question... that quote is from Apple so Im guessing that any email account will be set up with a folder where the notes are stored/mirrored on the mail server (pop or IMAP), setup on a PC via iTunes for the iPhone I'm guessing, but I could be wrong...

Does Outlook have a notes feature? I believe it has a task or To do option....

sonictonic
Oct 5, 2007, 02:08 AM

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/03/leopard_notes_to_sync_with_iphone.html

"In its public previews of Leopard, Apple has demonstrated a new feature dubbed "Notes," which has been commonly showcased as part of Mail 3.0 but is actually a new system-wide feature that can be accessed from just about anywhere in the OS."

Awesome. Thanks!

BillyShears
Oct 5, 2007, 02:15 AM
Regarding the first screenshot: Why wouldn't the iPhone be able to edit rich text? I thought the iPhone's mail client could edit rich text.

Also, if notes are stored in a mailbox, shouldn't they be automatically synced with your iPhone whenever it downloads your mail? Then it would just put notes from the "notes" folder into the separate iPhone app. Would be interesting, as it would be wireless syncing for the iPhone.

citi
Oct 5, 2007, 03:01 AM
Thats a good question... that quote is from Apple so Im guessing that any email account will be set up with a folder where the notes are stored/mirrored on the mail server (pop or IMAP), setup on a PC via iTunes for the iPhone I'm guessing, but I could be wrong...

Does Outlook have a notes feature? I believe it has a task or To do option....
outlook has had note, and task since like windows 98. It is very odd that apple hasn't created tasks into osx until now. So far ahead yet...

Diatribe
Oct 5, 2007, 05:56 AM
Leopard moved the todo list from the calendar to mail.app

I still think it doesn't make sense to have the todo lists in a mail app rather than a calendar app. Now I HAVE to have every todo as an item in my calendar. Before I didn't. But oh well, I guess I have to use it to see it.

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 06:05 AM
good to know. right now there's not a whole lot of use for the note app on the iPhone.

we need a to-do app also

emotion
Oct 5, 2007, 06:12 AM
This is welcome, and something I've been banging on about for a while.

Upgrades to new OS versions are typically hard to sell (look at the related case of Vista, it's not quite the same situation as OSX however) so anything that leverages uptake of 10.5 is good for Apple.

Bring on 10.5.1 first though before I upgrade.

odedia
Oct 5, 2007, 06:26 AM
good to know. right now there's not a whole lot of use for the note app on the iPhone.

we need a to-do app also

We DO have a todo app for the iPhone, but it's a 3rd party app and version 1.1.1 breaks it. :(

It works great thought, on firmware 1.0.2

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 07:05 AM
We DO have a todo app for the iPhone, but it's a 3rd party app and version 1.1.1 breaks it. :(

It works great thought, on firmware 1.0.2

yes i know. i used it before i went to 1.1.1, but i didn't think it was all that great though.

Project
Oct 5, 2007, 07:09 AM

I was thinking just last week about how this might come into play.

Theoretically, ALL applications should be able to sync notes with iPhone.

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 07:30 AM
I was thinking just last week about how this might come into play.

Theoretically, ALL applications should be able to sync notes with iPhone.

now that would be very nice. i hope it's true

BwanaZulia
Oct 5, 2007, 09:20 AM
This is awesome (and expected) but now put in the ToDo application.

Seriously, you can't be in the PDA market if you can't sync notes and todos.

Get to getting.

BZ

FreeState
Oct 5, 2007, 12:59 PM
This is awesome (and expected) but now put in the ToDo application.

Seriously, you can't be in the PDA market if you can't sync notes and todos.

Get to getting.

BZ

The way I see it Notes has just as much a chance as To Do's since they are both implemented in the same way in 10.5 (both are saved as in a mailbox).

FreeState
Oct 5, 2007, 01:03 PM
I still think it doesn't make sense to have the todo lists in a mail app rather than a calendar app. Now I HAVE to have every todo as an item in my calendar. Before I didn't. But oh well, I guess I have to use it to see it.

It makes perfect sense to me... most of the 'To Do' lists I have are created from information sent to me via emails from my boss and clients.

The To Do's in 10.5 automatically are pulled up in the calendar - if you don't want to see all of them I imagine you could do what I do now and make a certain group of events not visible in the calendar, and not have those events sync to the phone like you can currently do.

/dev/toaster
Oct 5, 2007, 01:54 PM
outlook has had note, and task since like windows 98. It is very odd that apple hasn't created tasks into osx until now. So far ahead yet...

Previously, todo items were in the calendar ... and now they are moved to mail.app

Gotta love the windows fud

Diatribe
Oct 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
It makes perfect sense to me... most of the 'To Do' lists I have are created from information sent to me via emails from my boss and clients.

The To Do's in 10.5 automatically are pulled up in the calendar - if you don't want to see all of them I imagine you could do what I do now and make a certain group of events not visible in the calendar, and not have those events sync to the phone like you can currently do.

I don't mind them being in the calendar and if they, as you say, automatically appear in the calendar then that is not too bad.

FreeState
Oct 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
I don't mind them being in the calendar and if they, as you say, automatically appear in the calendar then that is not too bad.

That should be how it works:

"Much ado about to-dos.
Forget manually entering a new item to your to-do list every time an email hits your inbox. Simply highlight text in an email, then click the To-do icon to create a to-do from a message. Include a due date, set an alarm, or assign priorities. Every to-do you create includes a link to the original email or note, and to-dos automatically appear in iCal, complete with any edits or additions you make. And since to-dos are stored with your email, you can access them from Mail on any Mac."

emotion
Oct 5, 2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot how cool that feature of Leopard was.

Diatribe
Oct 5, 2007, 05:18 PM
That should be how it works:

"Much ado about to-dos.
Forget manually entering a new item to your to-do list every time an email hits your inbox. Simply highlight text in an email, then click the To-do icon to create a to-do from a message. Include a due date, set an alarm, or assign priorities. Every to-do you create includes a link to the original email or note, and to-dos automatically appear in iCal, complete with any edits or additions you make. And since to-dos are stored with your email, you can access them from Mail on any Mac."

Thanks for the link and the info. Seems like I missed that. Sounds pretty cool. :)

Fuchal
Oct 5, 2007, 05:26 PM
Previously, todo items were in the calendar ... and now they are moved to mail.app

Gotta love the windows fud

They aren't "moved" to mail.app. They are system wide, just like notes. Meaning they are accessible in all apps - calendar AND mail, and whatever other app wants to use them as well.

megfilmworks
Oct 5, 2007, 05:43 PM

Upgrades to new OS versions are typically hard to sell (look at the related case of Vista, it's not quite the same situation as OSX however) so anything that leverages uptake of 10.5 is good for Apple.

This may be the best way to sell the 10.5 OS, 1 million + iPhone users who will have new integrated features they just can't resist.

Moonlight
Oct 5, 2007, 06:44 PM

What are you crazy?? I would never update before 10.5.6
That is the update when it gets snappier !
:rolleyes:

FreeState
Oct 5, 2007, 06:50 PM
They aren't "moved" to mail.app. They are system wide, just like notes. Meaning they are accessible in all apps - calendar AND mail, and whatever other app wants to use them as well.

Actually they are moved to the mail.app - Notes and To Do's while accessible on the whole system, are stored in a mail folder. All the other system wide availability is drawn from the mail.app's folder.

bobbleheadbob
Oct 5, 2007, 08:18 PM
This looks great. I can't wait for Leopard!

aswitcher
Oct 5, 2007, 08:34 PM
Is there any suggestion that the touch will see an upgrade to get notes?