PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Speakers >...


Fender2112
Aug 28, 2003, 05:03 PM
I'm getting my new system soon and will need a set of speakers. I'm open to suggestions. Nothing fancy. I'd like to keep it under $150.

Thanks

tazo
Aug 28, 2003, 09:06 PM
Hmm...

under 150?

If you are in that price range I would look at the 5.1 selections from Altec Lansing like here: http://alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=251&sID=1

or a 5.1 set from logitech like this one: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&CRID=2&CONTENTID=5047&countryid=19&languageid=1

hope that helps!

-tazo

Gymnut
Aug 29, 2003, 01:06 AM
If you're willing to spend approx $20 (U.S) more, look at Klipsch's Promedia 2.1 system. Have yet to hear another 2.1 system rival it and puts most home stereo systems to shame. Incidently, Klipsch recently released a 2.1 version of their GMX lineup, the GMX A-2.1 for $150.00 but I find it lacks the oomph that the original Promedia 2.1 delivers. www.klipsch.com > Products > Promedia

The Promedia design hasn't changed since its first induction. Not much to look at in comparison to soundsticks or the JBL creature speakers but they blow those sets out the door hands down.

evolu
Aug 29, 2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Gymnut
If you're willing to spend approx $20 (U.S) more, look at Klipsch's Promedia 2.1 system. Have yet to hear another 2.1 system rival it and puts most home stereo systems to shame. Incidently, Klipsch recently released a 2.1 version of their GMX lineup, the GMX A-2.1 for $150.00 but I find it lacks the oomph that the original Promedia 2.1 delivers. www.klipsch.com > Products > Promedia

The Promedia design hasn't changed since its first induction. Not much to look at in comparison to soundsticks or the JBL creature speakers but they blow those sets out the door hands down.

I agree - i am listening to the system now and it's quite clean! I work in the music industry - if that means anything - and I need nice speakers.

Also, I would have gone for a smaller sub if the choice was available then. My sub sits it a corner and I have it turned all the way down and it rocks me. Go for the GMX A-2.1 for $150.00

zer0army
Aug 29, 2003, 01:53 AM
I would also agree and say that the Klipsch's are amazing.

Don't mean to get off topic, but does anyone know if I will need to by an extra audio card to hook up my 4.1 system to my G5 ? and how do people hook up a 5.1 system ? there is only one audio in ?

Xero
Aug 29, 2003, 02:43 AM
if you can find them for around/under $150. the Logitech Z-560 4.1s are great sounding, if a little overpowered on the low end, but overall they sound great for the price, i love mine.i couldnt beleive the difference in quality when i hooked these up after using some small altec lansing 2.1s for a while.

Also i know monsoon makes some really nice sounding flat panel computer speakers.

cr2sh
Aug 29, 2003, 08:27 AM
Bose Media Mates retail @ $99 and sound quite nice, their simple appearance is much more pleasing than many of the speakers mention in this thread... oh yeh, and they're BOSE. :D

http://www.bose.com/home_audio/music_speakers/mediamates/

Maclarny
Aug 29, 2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by zer0army
I would also agree and say that the Klipsch's are amazing.

Don't mean to get off topic, but does anyone know if I will need to by an extra audio card to hook up my 4.1 system to my G5 ? and how do people hook up a 5.1 system ? there is only one audio in ?

I don't think you need to buy any extra equipment to hook them up to the Mac but to take advantage of 5.1 capabilities you need a Revolution 7.1 sound card from M-Audio. I also recommend the Logitech Z-560 4.1 setup. Can anyone here confirm my first statement?

Codemonkey
Aug 29, 2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
Bose Media Mates retail @ $99 and sound quite nice, their simple appearance is much more pleasing than many of the speakers mention in this thread... oh yeh, and they're BOSE. :D

http://www.bose.com/home_audio/music_speakers/mediamates/

I like the look of those speakers! I half expect the seams to glow blue, a la Tron.

Anyway. If the Klipsch 2.1's are ~150, and these Bose ones are ~100.... does that mean that the Klipsch sub is only worth fifty bucks? Is that bad? Does it matter?

Gymnut
Aug 29, 2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Maclarny
I don't think you need to buy any extra equipment to hook them up to the Mac but to take advantage of 5.1 capabilities you need a Revolution 7.1 sound card from M-Audio. I also recommend the Logitech Z-560 4.1 setup. Can anyone here confirm my first statement?

Yup, you'll need a multi-channel soundcard to take advantage of the 5.1 capabilities. You can get away without having a sound card in a 4.1 setup by using a Y-adapter to plug into the audio in port on the back of your Mac but that cannot be achieved with a 5.1 setup because of the additional middle channel. As for the Bose speakers mentioned on this thread, haven't heard them although I find Bose in general overpriced, it's up to the buyer to beware and listen to them themselves.

neut
Aug 29, 2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Yup, you'll need a multi-channel soundcard to take advantage of the 5.1 capabilities.

but if he's getting a G5 the optical outs will support 5.1; that is, if he's getting speakers with optical ins...

amin
Aug 29, 2003, 02:34 PM
I've been happy with this Altec Lansing 2&1 which retails for $79.95:
http://alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=ATP3&sID=2

Dont Hurt Me
Aug 29, 2003, 04:02 PM
Just thought i 'd comment, i dont know your system but the pro speakers and isub do me very well for one office/room. they look and match so well with the imacs/g4 powermacs.edit- forgive and cube. also 1 more comment the isub can kick it out i usually only use half power.

zer0army
Aug 29, 2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Gymnut
Yup, you'll need a multi-channel soundcard to take advantage of the 5.1 capabilities. You can get away without having a sound card in a 4.1 setup by using a Y-adapter to plug into the audio in port on the back of your Mac but that cannot be achieved with a 5.1 setup because of the additional middle channel.

So if I used a Y-adapter with my 4.1 system would this take advantage of all the channels ? or would it just play the 2 but out of all four speakers ?

does apple sell this adapter ? or do i go third party ?

cr2sh
Aug 29, 2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by zer0army
So if I used a Y-adapter with my 4.1 system would this take advantage of all the channels ? or would it just play the 2 but out of all four speakers ?

does apple sell this adapter ? or do i go third party ?

You're right, it would play only two channels, the L & R as compared to a 4.1 with a front R & L and a rear R & L. The Y-adapter can be picked up at pretty much any store that sells stereos.. its just a plug adapter.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F001%5F002&product%5Fid=274%2D313

I think that's what he's talking about, though I don't see much of a point to it from a gaming standpoint... audio-wise I guess more speakers are always better. If you're going to go 4.1 speakers, make sure it has an optical in so you can actually use the surround sound.

Bozola
Aug 29, 2003, 06:26 PM
I love my new creatures speakers.. they sound great 129 and look way Cool

Maclarny
Aug 29, 2003, 06:47 PM
I guess if 4.1 setups are no good I'd grab the Klipsch 2.1 setup.

zer0army
Aug 29, 2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
You're right, it would play only two channels, the L & R as compared to a 4.1 with a front R & L and a rear R & L. The Y-adapter can be picked up at pretty much any store that sells stereos.. its just a plug adapter.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F001%5F002&product%5Fid=274%2D313

I think that's what he's talking about, though I don't see much of a point to it from a gaming standpoint... audio-wise I guess more speakers are always better. If you're going to go 4.1 speakers, make sure it has an optical in so you can actually use the surround sound.

Yea thats what I thought. So then the only way to take advantage of my 4.1 for DVD's and Games is to put out the $100 for that 7.1 sound card ? I'm guessing this is a dumb question but would I be able to take my audigy sound card out of my PC put it in my G5 and Hook the 4.1 up to that ? I'm Guessing no.

Also Is it true that most mac versions of games dont even have surround sound in them since most mac users dont have surround capabilities in their machines ?

Fender2112
Aug 29, 2003, 09:46 PM
Thanks for The info. I'll do some checking around to see if can find some of these. I still a few weeks before my system arrives.