PDA

View Full Version : Apple's iPhone Component AV Cable

MacRumors
Oct 5, 2007, 01:53 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

iLounge posts (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/apple-component-av-cable-ipod-iphone/) a first look (with photos) at the Apple Component AV cable ($49) which allows the iPhone to output audio and video to their TV.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/10/05/9.jpg
(http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/apple-component-av-cable-ipod-iphone/)

The TV Out functionality of the iPhone was enabled with the 1.1.1 update.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/05/apples-iphone-component-av-cable/)

SAMTATSICPRO
Oct 5, 2007, 02:06 AM
WOW, nice!! I think I'm gonna try it this weekend.

filman408
Oct 5, 2007, 02:08 AM
Does anyone know if this outputs true Widescreen, or just Letterboxed Widescreen (like the previous iPods)? Specifically for the classic & nano.
In other words, can I display the output natively on a HDTV, or will the video feed need to be enlarged for the content to fill the screen?

JPyre
Oct 5, 2007, 02:17 AM
Why do I have the funny feeling the TV out will ONLY display videos being played, and not the GUI or the iPod or the photo library or safari or anything except video.... I always hated that about the old iPod I messed with that had video out... am I wrong?

JPyre
Oct 5, 2007, 02:20 AM
Does anyone know if this outputs true Widescreen, or just Letterboxed Widescreen (like the previous iPods)? Specifically for the classic & nano.
In other words, can I display the output natively on a HDTV, or will the video feed need to be enlarged for the content to fill the screen?

The videos on itunes are 640x272, 272 sounds kinda short for letterboxing, but ive seen stranger things.

filman408
Oct 5, 2007, 02:48 AM
The videos on itunes are 640x272, 272 sounds kinda short for letterboxing, but ive seen stranger things.

640x272 is for 2.35:1 video, aka most Movies. This res will still have black on the top and bottom irregardless (they will be smaller on HDTV sets)
640x360 if for 16x9, some movies and many TV shows. This should not have black bars if displayed correctly on HDTV sets.

I am curious about widscreen output mainly for the latter.

Letterboxing is adding bars on the top and bottom to create a 4:3 images (not HDTV friendly for widescreen content). If letterboxed video is shown on a HDTV set without being expanded, the video will have a think border all the way around.

Daremo
Oct 5, 2007, 02:55 AM
I really wish this was both Composite AND Component. I have an HD TV, but I also like to use an older set in my bedroom, and a converter is around $125. :(:(

loudestnoise
Oct 5, 2007, 03:02 AM
Has anyone tried their old iPod AV cables. I bought some back when I had an iPod Photo, and I think I have them lying around somewhere, but would love it would work with iPhone. It's only composite out, but it would be great to not have to buy another set of cables.

newton213
Oct 5, 2007, 03:40 AM
The old cables won't work, they used to plug into the headphone jack, which had extra pins inside it for the video. These new cables get their video from the 30-pin dock connector. Try plugging the old cable into an iPhone or the new iPods, and the best you're gonna get is audio.

nagromme
Oct 5, 2007, 03:53 AM
Best new iPhone feature ever!

I look forward to 3rd-party cables though. Apple's come with a USB charger--which is nice added value, but overkill for me. And if you buy BOTH component and composite (which I would) then you'd have two chargers--real overkill.

I'd like to see a 3rd-party cable that combines component, composite, and USB in one--but leaves the charger out.

(And I too would like to see the whole GUI. But slideshows are what I mainly want. It's cool that the new devices do show SOMETHING during music playback, unlike my old iPod Photo. iPhone and Touch even show "nice on-screen cover graphics during playback.")

As for wide vs. standard, that's a preference we've seen that the iPhone lets you toggle. (Same for recent iPods, I believe.)

The iPhone headphone connector uses the extra pin for the mic, so video now must go through the dock. That's my understanding.

samh004
Oct 5, 2007, 04:26 AM
Looks good, would of been better if they posted some photos of the TV and iPod side by side to show the difference between what shows and the quality... or did they and I didn't see those photos ?

zapp
Oct 5, 2007, 05:24 AM
I really wish this was both Composite AND Component. I have an HD TV, but I also like to use an older set in my bedroom, and a converter is around $125. :(:(

I have the same problem, and I ordered the composite cable. It will connect to my older tv's where I would use them the most and still connect to my HDTV. I ordered a week ago, and got the shipping notice for one of them this morning.

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 07:08 AM
Why do I have the funny feeling the TV out will ONLY display videos being played, and not the GUI or the iPod or the photo library or safari or anything except video.... I always hated that about the old iPod I messed with that had video out... am I wrong?

now that would be nice if everything showed up on the tv. but i doubt it will

mainstreetmark
Oct 5, 2007, 07:30 AM
Best new iPhone feature ever!

I look forward to 3rd-party cables though. Apple's come with a USB charger--which is nice added value, but overkill for me. And if you buy BOTH component and composite (which I would) then you'd have two chargers--real overkill.

I'd like to see a 3rd-party cable that combines component, composite, and USB in one--but leaves the charger out.

I'm becoming more pessimistic about Apple and the 3rd Party recently.

NightStorm
Oct 5, 2007, 07:42 AM
Anyone know why the iPhone/iPod Touch only output 480i according to the specs, while the new Classic/Nano output 480p?

lawcomic
Oct 5, 2007, 09:20 AM
If you could somehow have Keynote and its presentations on the iPhone, this would be awesome.

appleguru1
Oct 5, 2007, 09:33 AM
If you could somehow have Keynote and its presentations on the iPhone, this would be awesome.

You can. (Last I checked you could export keynote presentations to quicktime formats).

pmade
Oct 5, 2007, 09:56 AM
I have the same problem, and I ordered the composite cable. It will connect to my older tv's where I would use them the most and still connect to my HDTV. I ordered a week ago, and got the shipping notice for one of them this morning.

Does anyone know if the apple retail stores will be selling the composite cables?

arkmannj
Oct 5, 2007, 10:00 AM
wish the iPhone could work with the standard iPod A/V dock for video

NightStorm
Oct 5, 2007, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know if the apple retail stores will be selling the composite cables?
I'm sure they will be making their way to the stores here shortly.

dookie852
Oct 5, 2007, 10:35 AM
Woopieeee! 480i. Way to send me back to the stone age, Apple.

lawcomic
Oct 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
You can. (Last I checked you could export keynote presentations to quicktime formats).

But how would you get it on the phone? A web based method would be unreliable...connection issues, etc.

gtarz
Oct 5, 2007, 10:55 AM

Yes they are selling composite cables.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=MB129LL%2FA

So instead of purchasing a converter, just purchase a composite and component.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?spart=MB128LL%2FA

I am assuming it will be in retail stores, as most of those products are avalible shortly after they are online.

gtarz
Oct 5, 2007, 10:56 AM
But how would you get it on the phone? A web based method would be unreliable...connection issues, etc.

In keynote I have heard it is possible to export your presentations to quicktime. If this is possible, you could export the quicktime file for iphone then load it through itunes, just like your other videos.

pmade
Oct 5, 2007, 11:03 AM

Admittedly, I'm living in the "stone age" myself. I have an old school TV and stereo setup. But then again, I don't find myself watching TV more than once a week either.

That said, I don't understand why it's important for the iPhone to have HD outputs. Is anyone really going to put HD quality content on their phone, or even their iPod for that matter? Does low quality video look good when output to a HD device?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm trying to understand how people are using their iPhone/iPod with HD equipment.

lawcomic
Oct 5, 2007, 11:05 AM
If this is possible, you could export the quicktime file for iphone then load it through itunes, just like your other videos.

Of course! That makes sense.

I may need to check this out!

Here's an (another?) admittedly dumb question.

Would this work on a projector with only RCA (i.e. not component) inputs?

gtarz
Oct 5, 2007, 11:18 AM
Here's an (another?) admittedly dumb question.

Would this work on a projector with only RCA (i.e. not component) inputs?

It would work with an apple composite cable...providing your projector has composite inputs.

lawcomic
Oct 5, 2007, 11:19 AM
It would work with a composite adapter...providing your projector has composite inputs.

The projector has standard RCA inputs

gtarz
Oct 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
The projector has standard RCA inputs

Yea, should work fine. Both the component and composite cables have RCA terminations on them. My guess is that your projector has a yellow input for video, and possibly a white and red for audio input, all RCAs. If thats the case this is what you need.

If your projector has a red, green, and blue RCA inputs, and then possibly Red and White for audio, you will need this cable

Hope that helps!

blueflame
Oct 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
To turn off tje iphone screen while hookedup? Like the ipod? I like to lusten to novies like music in my pocket

lawcomic
Oct 5, 2007, 11:36 AM
Yea, should work fine. Both the component and composite cables have RCA terminations on them. My guess is that your projector has a yellow input for video, and possibly a white and red for audio input, all RCAs. If thats the case this is what you need.

If your projector has a red, green, and blue RCA inputs, and then possibly Red and White for audio, you will need this cable

Hope that helps!

Thanks! It does!

JesterJJZ
Oct 5, 2007, 12:30 PM
There's really no point to this unless they plan on having HD content playable from these things.

Small White Car
Oct 5, 2007, 01:20 PM

Yeah, you'd think they'd try and keep up with all the other cell phones out there that have HD video output.

Wait...which phone do that? I can't recall.

nagromme
Oct 5, 2007, 02:23 PM
There's really no point to this unless they plan on having HD content playable from these things.

There IS a point: 480i content, such as videos and photos and album art, will look much sharper with component than composite or s-video.

Fear not: video-out does not require hacking your iPhone, and does not leverage security holes that have been patched ;)

Apple securing the iPhone says nothing about Apple and 3rd parties in any larger sense. Apple failing to provide an SDK says things about a) security risks that crash OTHER phone brands and b) the immaturity of the OS platform, which is evolving so fast that any SDK would be an unreliable moving target. Give it time.

iLounge did report on an "authentication chip" that blocks older video accessories, but I believe that to be pure fiction. (Spending time/money on some chip to block some tiny subset of accessories, that Apple doesn't even compete with but in fact sells in their own stores??) I think instead of digging deeper or waiting for facts, iLounge invented a wild worst-case reason (as they've done several times lately) when the REAL reason some old devices fail on the new iPods is simple and legitimate: Apple changed the video system. They added component to the dock connector, and removed video from the headphone jack to allow the phone's earbud-mic.

Multimedia
Oct 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
In other words, can I display the output natively on a HDTV, or will the video feed need to be enlarged for the content to fill the screen?Depends on how it was encoded. And it may also depend on the feature set of your HDTV. I think Apple sells letterboxed 4x3. So you're SOOL. But if you make the files yourself with a tool like Handbrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/), you can make them display letterbox on the Classic, less letterbox on the Touch and Phone and no letterbox on your HDTV. I use 1Kbps 624x352 H.264 encodes for perfect upscale interpolation to my HDTV screen as well as all iPod, Phone and AppleTV compatibility.

If your HDTV set can zoom in on SD footage, then you can avoid inappropriate pillarboxing. I have a 40" Samsung that will NOT let me zoom in on SD broadcasts nor from external sources while I think Sony will.The videos on itunes are 640x272, 272 sounds kinda short for letterboxing, but ive seen stranger things.But they are sold in a 4x3 letterbox aren't they? That ultra wide-screen size is going to show up letterbox even on a HDTV anyway. What we don't want is any Pillarboxing (left-right black vertical bars) when the image is in 4x3 SD Letterbox.640x272 is for 2.35:1 video, aka most Movies. This res will still have black on the top and bottom irregardless (they will be smaller on HDTV sets)
640x360 if for 16x9, some movies and many TV shows. This should not have black bars if displayed correctly on HDTV sets.

I am curious about widscreen output mainly for the latter.

Letterboxing is adding bars on the top and bottom to create a 4:3 images (not HDTV friendly for widescreen content). If letterboxed video is shown on a HDTV set without being expanded, the video will have a think border all the way around.Right. That's called Pillarboxed Letterbox which is how we watch old 4x3 footage or widescreen SD from non-anamorphic sources on HDTVs.

Sorry. This subject is very confusing.

stompy
Oct 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
iLounge did report on an "authentication chip" that blocks older video accessories, but I believe that to be pure fiction. (Spending time/money on some chip to block some tiny subset of accessories, that Apple doesn't even compete with but in fact sells in their own stores??) I think instead of digging deeper or waiting for facts, iLounge invented a wild worst-case reason (as they've done several times lately) when the REAL reason some old devices fail on the new iPods is simple and legitimate: Apple changed the video system. They added component to the dock connector, and removed video from the headphone jack to allow the phone's earbud-mic.

Nagromme, did you happen to check out the latest "first looks" on iLounge? :) They add more authentication chip speculation in the writeup of the Logic3 i-Station Concert (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/firstlooks/P12/).

Would someone please dissect the Apple cable so we can see proof, one way or the other?

liberty4all
Oct 5, 2007, 02:57 PM
What we need is a FireWire video out so we can completely control the stream of AV...

If not, it would be nice to at least have an HDMI out...

The Component cables should come with an adapter to convert to S-Video and Composite, since most TVs out there still do not have Component inputs...

liberty4all
Oct 5, 2007, 03:05 PM
No, what you want is Component and S-Video, because the S-Video to Composite adapter is tiny, so then you would get all three, and S-Video is better quality than Composite anyhow -- better to start w/it and then convert to Composite.

nagromme
Oct 5, 2007, 03:05 PM
But they are sold in a 4x3 letterbox aren't they?

iTunes videos are sold in real widescreen--no black--in my experience (Battlestar Galactica). However, this may vary if it's up to the content owners. If their content ALREADY has black bars, the encoding for iTunes would probably preserve them.

Nagromme, did you happen to check out the latest "first looks" on iLounge? :) They add more authentication chip speculation in the writeup of the Logic3 i-Station Concert (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/firstlooks/P12/).

Thanks for the link.

But the whole "authentication" thing started way before any real info was on hand, and this seems like it might be shoehorning new info into old preconceptions.

The need for an Apple-designed chip to drive video to the Apple connector? Sure. Of course some electronics has to drive that connector, and Apple designed it. A chip dedicated to authenticating the device? I doubt it. I don't have any hard information--but I doubt it :) I notice iLounge uses the term "authentication chip" but the product page they link to does not. (And I think you're correct to use the term "speculation"--but iLounge presents it as fact. That seems to have become a habit with them lately, much as I appreciate the great resource that they are.)

liberty4all
Oct 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
Yes, this is stupid -- what is the reason for this? :-(

Anyone know why the iPhone/iPod Touch only output 480i according to the specs, while the new Classic/Nano output 480p?

liberty4all
Oct 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
Agreed!

nagromme
Oct 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
Yes, this is stupid -- what is the reason for this? :-(

I assume the Touch/iPhone vs. other iPods (which may not ever run OS X? Anyone know?) simply use very different hardware inside. The video-out specs of whatever chips Apple is using vary as a result.

Re Keynote on iPhone/iPod: it's not the REAL thing with all the effects, but you can output stills from Keynote, which will run with iPod transitions (just like any photo slideshow) and make a nice pocket presentation.

seedster2
Oct 5, 2007, 03:26 PM
$50 for component video cables:eek: That's almost as silly as paying $400 for monster HDMI cables.

Guess there isn't another alternative, but ill stick with connecting my powerbook for a lot less.

stompy
Oct 5, 2007, 03:27 PM
A chip dedicated to authenticating the device? I doubt it. I don't have any hard information--but I doubt it :) I notice iLounge uses the term "authentication chip" but the product page they link to does not. (And I think you're correct to use the term "speculation"--but iLounge presents it as fact. That seems to have become a habit with them lately, much as I appreciate the great resource that they are.)

Agreed, I noticed the same things. But maybe iLounge talked with Logic3 engineers responsible for adding the new chip to their system.

:p

nagromme
Oct 5, 2007, 03:59 PM
$50 for component video cables:eek: That's almost as silly as paying $400 for monster HDMI cables.

Actually it's $49 for a USB wall charger PLUS a single custom hydra cable that combines all of the following.

* Component video cables

* Audio cables

* USB cable

* 30-pin dock cable

The price is fine for all that--but it's overkill for my needs.

dookie852
Oct 5, 2007, 04:12 PM
Admittedly, I'm living in the "stone age" myself. I have an old school TV and stereo setup. But then again, I don't find myself watching TV more than once a week either.

That said, I don't understand why it's important for the iPhone to have HD outputs. Is anyone really going to put HD quality content on their phone, or even their iPod for that matter? Does low quality video look good when output to a HD device?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm trying to understand how people are using their iPhone/iPod with HD equipment.

No, that's a good question. Low quality content does indeed look worse on an HD T.V. than it does a standard T.V. Even non-HD channels look worse on an HD T.V.

lumpie222
Oct 5, 2007, 05:48 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/jdlanejr/Picture1.png

It does support Widescreen TV output. I have been watching King of Queens episodes converted with handbrake at 1100 average bitrate using the FFmpeg encoder at 640 x 480 4:3 format. They look pretty good on the TV. If you stand too close you can see some pixelation. I have a 42 inch TV and I'm only encoding at 1100 kbps so I expect some pixelation. If you are 6 to 8 feet from the TV it looks pretty good. In the iPhone settings panel you go to the ipod section and turn widescreen on and off. With widescreen turned on the show will play on the tv with black bars on the sides. You can double tap the screen and it will zoom-in cutting off the top and bottom of the picture. Now with widescreen turned off you lose the double tap feature and the show stretches to fill the screen completely. I haven't tried any widescreen movies yet but I plan to this weekend.

BTW: No, the GUI does NOT display on the TV.

nagromme
Oct 5, 2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the report, Lumpie.

I'd never use an iPhone as my primary media center--but being able to take some movies/TV shows over to a friend's house or whatever is nice. With nothing to carry but your phone.

nlivo
Oct 5, 2007, 11:42 PM
There IS a point: 480i content, such as videos and photos and album art, will look much sharper with component than composite or s-video.

why would album art display on the tv????

HiRez
Oct 6, 2007, 12:29 AM
I really wish this was both Composite AND Component. I have an HD TV, but I also like to use an older set in my bedroom, and a converter is around $125. :(:(Yeah, it's incredibly annoying there's no composite and/or s-video on the same cable. I think I read there would be a separate composite cable but that's really inconvenient. If the iPhone supports both, why can't they make the cable support both? Paying twice is annoying (this is Apple's nickle-and-dime you to death accessory strategy), but carrying around two cables instead of one makes it really annoying, especially when the two cables are probably bulkier than the iPhone itself.

ndslc
Oct 6, 2007, 12:58 AM

Output is just the video & photos, not the GUI.

CJD2112
Oct 6, 2007, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I can't imagine an HD movie fitting well on an 8 GB iPhone with music and photos. Wouldn't an HD movie be at least 4-5 GB, if not more? I'll stick with my Blu-Ray player for now.

skeep5
Oct 8, 2007, 05:08 PM

Me too.

Tsuius
Oct 9, 2007, 07:51 PM
Has anyone tried this with iPhone 1.0.2?
I know that video will not work but does the audio output work?

Surfnsnowboard3
Jan 5, 2008, 05:57 PM
Ok, I need some major help here. I will try to give you all the specifics I have, please ask if you need more information. I have a RCA HDTV with 480I and 1080 reception. the TV has BOTh component and composite impiuts.

I first tried using the COMPOSITE cables to play videos from my iPhone to my television. No picture or audio would work. The only SIGN there was a connection was when i pressed "Format" on my remote (which changes my TV picture from normal, to zoom to stretch), there was a brief 1/2 second of audio I heard from the movie I was trying to play. I have already made sure my TV output in my iPhone is on PAL like it should be, sok I don't think it has tok do with the settings on the iPhone.

I just bought the COMPONENT cables and plugged them in the corrent component ports (they ARE in the correct colors, that ISN'T the problem). same exact problem as with the compisite cables. No videor or audio. Brief 1/2 second of audio when I press the "Format" button.

I also have a TV cable box (Time Warner) and a Home Theater system. I used the audio connectors of the component cables to the theater system and connected it to the iPhone and it works GREAT. I just want to be able to play videos from myiPhone to my TV.

ANYONE, please help. THANK YOU!!!