PDA

View Full Version : weird tingling feeling while using iphone to browse?

EvryDayImShufln
Oct 8, 2007, 08:40 AM
Hey am I the only one or have you guys ever noticed a tingly feeling in your hand/hands while using the iphone to browse the net? This is one of the main reasons that I'm getting a case.

I know it heats up, but I'm talking about more than just the heat.

cmaier
Oct 8, 2007, 09:04 AM
Try to stick to G-rated websites, and the tingling will go away ;-)

gauchogolfer
Oct 8, 2007, 09:06 AM
Wow, I thought I really like the iPhone, but you must be really into it.

:D

calvy
Oct 8, 2007, 09:10 AM
Carpal Tunnel? I know I feel like I'm going from using the touchpad on my laptop to a touchpad on my phone when I'm busy working all day, and my fingers and hands start to hurt.

earthsick
Oct 8, 2007, 09:15 AM
soon you will start noticing hair in funny places and looking at girls, too

ksmith80209
Oct 8, 2007, 09:17 AM
From page 11 of the manual: "do not lick the iPhone while browsing the internet."

erandall38
Oct 8, 2007, 09:18 AM

This post plus the OP is making my day.

OP are speaking of a electrical shock feeling? or....

EvryDayImShufln
Oct 8, 2007, 12:57 PM
It's not a shock feeling, its sort of a burning sensation in my HAND :p not anywhere else on my body lol.

It's very strange, and only happens after prolonged use, maybe 20 mins of browsing or something.

Jade Cambell
Oct 8, 2007, 09:46 PM
It's the radiowaves that the phone emits. Yes, it is re-organizing the cell structure in your hand. No, it won't do anything aside from make your hand feel tingly for at least 30 years. Then you'll get cancer.

southerndoc
Oct 8, 2007, 10:23 PM
I also have felt what you are describing, but thought it was just my imagination.

Perhaps it's a conspiracy?

Seriously, now that somebody else has felt it, I wonder if we have defective phones or if you can feel the EDGE signals? I also feel it when it's sending/receiving email.

Mackan
Oct 8, 2007, 10:39 PM
Check the SAR value for the iPhone if it is available.

Chip NoVaMac
Oct 8, 2007, 10:58 PM
Funny you should bring this up. Today I felt a vibration on my thigh with my iPhone on my hip holster. It wasn't like the vibrating that the phone gives in silent mode, but it was enough for me to see if a call or an SMS was coming in.

Bernie-Mac
Oct 8, 2007, 11:02 PM
It's not a shock feeling, its sort of a burning sensation in my HAND

Use some sort of lube:p

StealthRider
Oct 8, 2007, 11:02 PM
Funny you should bring this up. Today I felt a vibration on my thigh with my iPhone on my hip holster. It wasn't like the vibrating that the phone gives in silent mode, but it was enough for me to see if a call or an SMS was coming in.

It's just phantom vibration; it's happened to me with every phone I've had.

Chip NoVaMac
Oct 8, 2007, 11:15 PM
It's just phantom vibration; it's happened to me with every phone I've had.

First time for me though....

Lionheart
Oct 8, 2007, 11:27 PM
You guys crack me up!
:):):)

gr8tfly
Oct 8, 2007, 11:55 PM
It's the radiowaves that the phone emits. Yes, it is re-organizing the cell structure in your hand. No, it won't do anything aside from make your hand feel tingly for at least 30 years. Then you'll get cancer.

Please don't post false information. You asked virtually the same question in another thread and were given a lot of good, scientific info on the subject. The OP also posted there, so had access to the same info. This is just plain pseudo-science. Just because something sounds like a good explanation and sounds believable, doesn't make it true.

Sorry if this is coming on bit strong, but propagating myths doesn't help anybody. That, or I could have just fallen for some flame bait...:rolleyes:

EvryDayImShufln
Nov 21, 2007, 06:36 PM
You guys want to know something funny/interesting?

As an update to this thread, I got a new iPhone a while back. This one does NOT give any sort of weird tingling feeling. I have a feeling something was up with the other one even though I don't exactly know what.

MrSmith
Nov 21, 2007, 06:47 PM
I don't have an iPhone, but I get a pleasing feeling when I stand too close to the washing machine.

colonelbutt
Nov 22, 2007, 10:18 AM
I get this with any handheld device.
its because you are probably holding it with one hand and therefore the small weight over time becomes unbearable for the muscles. the tingling feeling is probably a small hand muscle overloading on lactic acid and starting to vibrate.

i would shift hands and position frequently, or get a stand for the iphone if you have a table or surface to put it on.

EvryDayImShufln
Nov 22, 2007, 03:27 PM
I honestly don't know how to account for it but I was 100% serious when I said my old one gave me a weird feeling. Even after just a few minutes. My new one DEFINITELY does not do that, because I remember thinking that I wanted to get a case initially to avoid this, but with my new one, that thought disappeared completely. I'm not saying it was microwaving my hand, but something was definitely different with my older one.

kramgam
Nov 22, 2007, 04:12 PM
I'm 100% serious when i say this, not trying to be funny:

When i have my iphone in my pocket or anywhere close to my testicles, they feel as if they tingle/tickle. It may be a mental thing because a while ago my mom showed me an article that after one year of carrying a cellphone anywhere around the waist will decrease fertility (in men) by 30%.

Sorry if this sounds crude but in reality it feels strange. Did not happen with any of my other phones though.

MacsAttack
Nov 22, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hey am I the only one or have you guys ever noticed a tingly feeling in your hand/hands while using the iphone to browse the net? This is one of the main reasons that I'm getting a case.

What you've got there is some interactions between your iPhone's RDF and some other device - usually a MicroSoft product. You aren't standing near somebody with a Zune by any chance?

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/972.html

MarkW19
Nov 22, 2007, 04:55 PM
When my iPhone is in my Dual Dock, plugged just into the power, if I touch the metal on the back, it does vibrate/"tingle", like a lot of metal electrical items do if you touch them in certain places (!)...

Is this what you're talking about?

designaholic
Nov 22, 2007, 05:34 PM
What you've got there is some interactions between your iPhone's RDF and some other device - usually a MicroSoft product. You aren't standing near somebody with a Zune by any chance?

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/972.html

LMAO Bloody hilarious answer! :D

Pattycerts
Nov 22, 2007, 05:38 PM
The only feeling I get is fear, that safari is going to crash again. What a joke its become.

alFR
Nov 23, 2007, 03:49 AM
Here's what you need:

wolps
Nov 26, 2007, 04:34 PM

The touch screen is capacitance based, you may be feeling a tiny, tiny bit of electric charge / current.

I've felt it too, and I thought it was from strain.

Killyp
Nov 26, 2007, 04:43 PM
Here's what you need:

Agreed, but there are better models out there.

http://www.boshty.co.uk/boshtyfile/uploads/20724/7279580423205.jpg

stevebob206
Nov 26, 2007, 05:29 PM
I think we've found peter parker ladies and gentlemen.

my spidey senses are tingling.......

outkaste25
Nov 26, 2007, 05:50 PM

or guys ;)

EvryDayImShufln
Nov 29, 2007, 09:00 PM
Ok I won't bother reinforcing my point because you all think I'm nuts :D

That foil helmet with the spikes looks pretty slick

CorTeX
Jul 18, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have found this theard while looking for this in google. I got an iPhone 3G and I feel EXCATLY the same things as you, all the time. If you are nuts, Iam nuts aswell. I'm worry and it burn my skin a little (i have a very sensible white skin) *sucks*.
I hope it's not something dangerous, do you think I can have another iPhone ? What can I do please ? :(

wickwood
Jul 21, 2009, 11:54 PM
I just got a 3GS iPhone and have felt a tingle in the hand I use to hold it ever since I started using it. It is a very real and disconcerting feeling, which is why started searching for info about it.

At least now I know I'm not the only one.

Now I just have to find a forum that is not filled with a bunch of immature jerks!

IBradMac
Jul 22, 2009, 12:16 AM

Posts like this one is exactly why I try to browse this forum at least once a day.

:D

iphoneftw
Jul 22, 2009, 02:52 AM
imagine the tigling you would feel if you used a giant iphone
http://www.iphonenewsblog.com/iphone1_3G-thumb-494x659.jpg

colmaclean
Jul 22, 2009, 04:05 AM
Have you been called by anyone with Swine Flu? Maybe your phone's caught it...

annk
Jul 22, 2009, 04:22 AM
Mod note

The off-topic posts here have been very funny and the OP doesn't seem to mind them, so I've let them stay.

But please try to address the issue, since some of the posters here insist they've experienced the problem, and would like constructive comments. :) Otherwise there's a danger the thread will be closed...

pelicanflip
Jul 22, 2009, 07:33 AM
It's not a shock feeling, its sort of a burning sensation in my HAND :p not anywhere else on my body lol.

It's very strange, and only happens after prolonged use, maybe 20 mins of browsing or something.

Sounds like you're just describing the heat of the battery, which is fairly natural.

Does it actually burn you, or is it just a warm touch?

-aggie-
Jul 22, 2009, 07:40 AM
Sounds like you're just describing the heat of the battery, which is fairly natural.

Does it actually burn you, or is it just a warm touch?

You do realize you're responding to someone's post of almost 2 years ago?? I'm sure he's resolved his issue by now.

pelicanflip
Jul 22, 2009, 07:42 AM
You do realize you're responding to someone's post of almost 2 years ago?? I'm sure he's resolved his issue by now.

whoops, my bad. i just noticed that it was moved up and a mod had responded.

simonparis
Oct 17, 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm definitely getting a tingling in my hand and in my head when I use my iPhone. Are any of you guys getting a vibration / tingling in your head? - I know that's gonna make some of you laugh, but it's true. When I'm not using the phone it goes away.

snelopy
Feb 28, 2010, 08:09 AM
Hi, yes I do get tingling in my hand and around my head. I get the same sensation from capacitive monitors and laptop touchpads. The charge that's sent out from the screen interacts with the nervous system of the body and the sensation around your head is the brain registering it. This is just not natural in my opinion and personally I don't think it can be very good for your health. In my own experience of using laptop touchpads I actually start developing nausea after prolonged use. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others - I can't go near volt boxes either without feeling very sick. I wish more research was done into how these devices actually influence our health.

-aggie-
Feb 28, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hi, yes I do get tingling in my hand and around my head. I get the same sensation from capacitive monitors and laptop touchpads. The charge that's sent out from the screen interacts with the nervous system of the body and the sensation around your head is the brain registering it. This is just not natural in my opinion and personally I don't think it can be very good for your health. In my own experience of using laptop touchpads I actually start developing nausea after prolonged use. Some people are more sensitive to these things than others - I can't go near volt boxes either without feeling very sick. I wish more research was done into how these devices actually influence our health.

Perhaps it's all in your head?

Since it's just you and a few other people that think all the reputable research is invalid and only the "research" from people trying to sell products to prevent this supposed "interaction" is valid, don't use the phone. Period. And don't use computers for that matter. Problem solved, no?

VulchR
Feb 28, 2010, 10:24 AM
OP - I am not a medical doctor so I assume no liability, but I am a neurophysiologist. The tingling almost certainly results from over-activation of a nerve. The most mundane culprit is some sort of trapped nerve, perhaps due to an awkward posture of your arm or upper spine. When pressure is put on a nerve, it becomes electrically active, and you brain interprets this as a sensation. There are also other potential causes, so if the tingling persists for a long time, generalizes to other situations, or becomes uncomfortable you should see your physician. The same holds true if you have any other symptoms.

For what it is worth, I also experienced what you described and it was minor mischief from a trapped nerve. Physiotherapy sorted it out. If it were truly the phone - which I rather doubt - the tingling would swap sides if you used your other hand to make calls.

EDIT: Have you considered using a headphone/mic?

hamuuu
Feb 28, 2010, 03:28 PM
sometimes when i have my iPhone plugged in to charge, it sort of vibrates my hand and i get some small weird electrical shock feeling... dunno how to describe it

VatoLoco
Jun 9, 2010, 05:23 PM
OP - I am not a medical doctor so I assume no liability, but I am a neurophysiologist. The tingling almost certainly results from over-activation of a nerve. The most mundane culprit is some sort of trapped nerve, perhaps due to an awkward posture of your arm or upper spine. When pressure is put on a nerve, it becomes electrically active, and you brain interprets this as a sensation. There are also other potential causes, so if the tingling persists for a long time, generalizes to other situations, or becomes uncomfortable you should see your physician. The same holds true if you have any other symptoms.

For what it is worth, I also experienced what you described and it was minor mischief from a trapped nerve. Physiotherapy sorted it out. If it were truly the phone - which I rather doubt - the tingling would swap sides if you used your other hand to make calls.

EDIT: Have you considered using a headphone/mic?

I just started getting pins and needles in my hands that wont go away now..

I started playing a game on Iphone called Inotia2. You play holding phone sideways, And i hold phone like I'm holding a xbox controller.

After long play sessions my fingers started going numb, I ignored and shook it off. After few days of playing this game the pins and needles started and wont go away now..

I'm thinking it's from having bent elbows and touching screen in certain positions which stops blood flow to finger tips..

So i have stopped playing game now hoping this feeling goes away since i had a bad night of sleep and pins and needles still with me 12 hours on

Anyway back to massaging my fingers

Godchild1124
Jul 9, 2010, 06:15 PM
Ive had my precious iPhone4 now for 2 weeks and I thought it was me just getting old, but the dam thing was emitting small shocks thru my finger tips, I can barely hold the thing for more than 20mins without taking a break to let my finger recoup!! Ive been the phone with Apple for about 2hrs and they told me to come to the nearest retail store so they can swamp me out for a new iPhone4. So all you nuckleheads who joked on F1400, he was telling the truth!!!

Secretsme
Sep 29, 2010, 12:47 AM
I get pins and needles in the tips of my fingers when using the phone, worse particularly when surfing the net. Gets worse as I continue using and eventually disappears when I put phone down. Made me concerned enough to google the problem and see if their was a known issue with the phone. At first I thought I had carpal tunnel syndrome (I'm a doctor)- but noticed it's only when using phone (no matter how I hold it), and I had no problems with 3GS. I think this is a very real concern- can't even use my phone for long period without regular brakes as the pins and needles become unbearable!

SUPERNET
Dec 9, 2011, 06:07 AM
I get that feeling too. It's hard to describe. It's a tingly, electric feeling, almost like static electricity or something.

Kyotoma
Dec 9, 2011, 07:41 AM
Although I've heard of this problem in rare cases, I've never personally experienced this in the years of owning my iPhone. Not even during the long Infinity Blade sessions.

gCloud
Oct 9, 2012, 01:35 AM
anyone getting an electric tingle in hands when holding iphone 5, i been feeling it since launch, googled it and found this thread, phone is flawless otherwise don't want to replace if its in my head.

sherryjbb
Dec 27, 2012, 10:02 PM

Hey, My finger is still feeling a numbness/tingly sensation just from texting on my i phone. My family laughs at me about it. They have had one for a year or so and I just got mine last week. I know it is not my imagination. I just am not sure if it is something to be concerned about. I am a bit, though.:confused:

lelisa13p
Dec 27, 2012, 11:38 PM
See posts in the other thread where you posted this issue (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16564276&posted=1#post16564276).