Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewcap

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2007
just wondering how the airport wireless 802.11n card in the new imacs compares to other apple products such as its laptops? thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This is sounding dangerously like a bad penis size analogy, but....

It's not the quality of the card that counts. The antennas are the dominant factor in how well the card works.

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
I 2nd that.. .OUTSTANDING reception, better than any other device in my home and I see 9 other wireless networks in my neighborhood (other machines/devices see 3 or 4 at most)! :D

Apple has put some outstanding antennas in the iMac. This card looks just like the Intel A/G/N (4965 I think) card I had in my Inspiron E1705.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I spent last night in a local hotel and had my new IMac with me. I was very impressed as to the quality of the connection using wireless. I did not notice any difference in performance from using my cable modem at home.

mike009

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
External Antenna?

I have the new Imac, I would like to get access to the airport card so I can connect an external antenna. I have seen posts of the new Imac being disassembled but can not identify the wireless card. Does anyone know where it resides?

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
Its pretty good, i have had no problems at all connecting to my network. I think its even better then the ones in the MacBooks :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.