PDA

View Full Version : Week 40 iPod touch

Hoo03
Oct 8, 2007, 11:45 AM
This morning my local BestBuy received new shipment of 16GB iPod touch and I noticed that they were week 40 model.

After going through display issues with my previous week 37 and 38 models, I am hoping that I finally got a "good" one.

Wish me luck and I will report back later!

SirithX
Oct 8, 2007, 11:48 AM
Great. Some week 38s and even 39s supposedly seem to still have some issues according to people here, so here's hoping that all the 40s are perfect, once and for all.

madmaxmedia
Oct 8, 2007, 12:12 PM
Great. Some week 38s and even 39s supposedly seem to still have some issues according to people here, so here's hoping that all the 40s are perfect, once and for all.

I wonder if the problem with Week 37 units hasn't made people a little too hyper-aware of how blacks are appearing on the screen. (I'm not saying people shouldn't worry or whatever, as there are still bound to be some defective units no matter what the production batch.)

The problematic Week 37 units were really bad, as in there was no viewing angle at all where you could watch movies decently, except maybe cartoons with only bright colors or something.

Now people are studying web sites with test patterns, and worrying if they can't see the proper pattern at the extreme ends of the scale (light and dark.) I don't blame them, as the earlier problems now make people worry they're not getting a quality unit for the $300 or $400, but keeping things in perspective will help overall. Don't get trapped in the equivalent of audiophile hell either, which is when people listen to their gear, and not the music.

lofight
Oct 8, 2007, 12:27 PM
the ipod touches still haven't arrived in the Belgium apple premium reseller, they say it could arrive any minute, and my dad orderded one now to be sure he will get one, but from what week would thoose ipod touches likely be?

dagored
Oct 8, 2007, 12:44 PM
I have one 38 and one 39. Screens are great and the two touches look identical. However, the supplied earbuds suck. Neither my wife nor I can fit them in our ears.

Are we the only ones?

robertma1
Oct 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah, I prefer the older ear buds that were smaller from a couple years back. The new style falls out of my left ear.

cameron.ob
Oct 8, 2007, 02:01 PM
This morning my local BestBuy received new shipment of 16GB iPod touch and I noticed that they were week 40 model.

After going through display issues with my previous week 37 and 38 models, I am hoping that I finally got a "good" one.

Wish me luck and I will report back later!

hopefully my week 39 coming in the mail will be fine

Hoo03
Oct 8, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think I found a keeper! I am happy to report that my week 40 iPod is thankfully solid.

Finally, I think I will be able to enjoy it. No dead pixels, no hissing sound and improved black level make me a happy new owner.

gkarris
Oct 8, 2007, 02:30 PM
I think I found a keeper! I am happy to report that my week 40 iPod is thankfully solid.

Finally, I think I will be able to enjoy it. No dead pixels, no hissing sound and improved black level make me a happy new owner.

Thanks!

Finally, the Touches seem much better. The display one at Best Buy today had a great screen on it too and they just put that one out.

Looks like weeks 39+ should be a keeper.

The earlier weeks, if it had a bad screen, Apple did a bandaid with the firmware fix, which I think is kinda bogus...

madmaxmedia
Oct 8, 2007, 02:59 PM
Yeah, I prefer the older ear buds that were smaller from a couple years back. The new style falls out of my left ear.

Did you try putting foam pads on them? I had the same problem as you, and found that putting foam pads helped a lot with fit.

California King
Oct 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
Did you try putting foam pads on them? I had the same problem as you, and found that putting foam pads helped a lot with fit.

too bad they don't give you foam pads anymore

robertma1
Oct 8, 2007, 06:03 PM

Yup. I picked up like 150 of them off ebay a while back for real cheap

duraace
Oct 8, 2007, 06:17 PM

I'm using the Sennheiser Sports headphones. They go around the back of the head, and over each ear, with the ear bud sittings firmly in the ear. They're designed for people who jog, etc., but the sound quality is great and they never (can't) move within the ear. They seal up very well. The only downside is that they're green, but I can now use them when I cycle.

bishoy
Oct 8, 2007, 07:33 PM

Just wondering is there any backlight bleeding on your week 40 touch? That has been my main issue.

Hoo03
Oct 8, 2007, 09:07 PM
Just wondering is there any backlight bleeding on your week 40 touch? That has been my main issue.

It has a slight backlight bleeding on top left hand corner. But I remember seeing that on my previous wk#37 and #38.

bishoy
Oct 8, 2007, 09:17 PM
It has a slight backlight bleeding on top left hand corner. But I remember seeing that on my previous wk#37 and #38.

That makes me super curious...

That's where my bleeding is! Do all of the iPod touches have slight bleeding in the top left? Do you mean top left when it is on its side or upright?
I mean on its side.

Hoo03
Oct 8, 2007, 09:34 PM
That makes me super curious...

That's where my bleeding is! Do all of the iPod touches have slight bleeding in the top left? Do you mean top left when it is on its side or upright?
I mean on its side.

Top left when you hold iPod touch upright. (i.e. above Safari icon) But it is barely visible. Or I am imagining things...

lofight
Oct 9, 2007, 01:00 AM
Top left when you hold iPod touch upright. (i.e. above Safari icon) But it is barely visible. Or I am imagining things...

what's a bleeding backlight?

Evangelion
Oct 9, 2007, 02:14 AM

Do yourself a favour and buy a new headphones. Seriously, the Apple-headphones are absolute crap.

andrewag
Oct 9, 2007, 02:38 AM
My week 38 has no problems with the screen at all. It's all a lucky dip no matter what week it seems.

Hoo03
Oct 9, 2007, 08:40 PM
what's a bleeding backlight?

It occurs when light source behind the screen spills over to the front of the screen. So it can have a slightly brighter area in some spots.

finalcut
Oct 9, 2007, 09:14 PM
How can you know the week of fabrication?

Hoo03
Oct 9, 2007, 09:21 PM

4th and 5th digit of serial number represents the week of your iPod production.

xp2mac07
Oct 9, 2007, 10:36 PM
I got my week 40 from Best Buy on Monday and so far no problems. This is my first iPod so I'm still learning how to use it.

queshy
Oct 9, 2007, 10:40 PM
Im waiting for FS to get week 40s so i can return my week 38 which has a ton of stuck pixels...Im just angry because I dont want to use the iPod til I get a good one..no sense getting it all used before returning it...

robPOD
Oct 10, 2007, 12:12 AM

By looking at you serial number

infosprt
Oct 10, 2007, 07:30 PM
Nice post. Thanks

I wonder if the problem with Week 37 units hasn't made people a little too hyper-aware of how blacks are appearing on the screen. (I'm not saying people shouldn't worry or whatever, as there are still bound to be some defective units no matter what the production batch.)

The problematic Week 37 units were really bad, as in there was no viewing angle at all where you could watch movies decently, except maybe cartoons with only bright colors or something.

Now people are studying web sites with test patterns, and worrying if they can't see the proper pattern at the extreme ends of the scale (light and dark.) I don't blame them, as the earlier problems now make people worry they're not getting a quality unit for the $300 or $400, but keeping things in perspective will help overall. Don't get trapped in the equivalent of audiophile hell either, which is when people listen to their gear, and not the music.