PDA

View Full Version : I have more storage space on Apple TV than my PowerBook

MacConvoy
Oct 8, 2007, 11:05 PM
Which means I need to find an external solution to store the massive amounts of video I expect to be downloading over the years. I've never used an external hard drive before.

Question, will Apple TV link with an external hard drive on a network? Are there any particular brands that are easy to set up with Mac and Apple TV? Thanks.

mr_matalino
Oct 9, 2007, 02:13 AM
Western Digital's MyBook line has been pretty popular. Give them a try.

Cave Man
Oct 9, 2007, 08:46 AM
Question, will Apple TV link with an external hard drive on a network? Are there any particular brands that are easy to set up with Mac and Apple TV? Thanks.

It doesn't matter where your files are stored, so long as they are referenced in the iTunes that serves your ATV.

jhsfosho
Oct 10, 2007, 12:15 AM
I actually have my entire iTunes Library stored on my external drive. Music, movies, tv shows, podcasts, etc. It is fairly easy to use and keeps my laptop uncluttered. However, I sometimes wish I was able to access some of that on the go, but I suppose that is what I get for having a small internal and a large external hard drive.

gkarris
Oct 10, 2007, 03:36 PM
Western Digital's MyBook line has been pretty popular. Give them a try.

Best Buy's closing out last year's models. I got the 250Gig with both USB and FW for $59.

Try to hook it up FW, though, USB 2.0 is still a bit whimpy when it comes to audio and video file transfer...

Cave Man
Oct 10, 2007, 03:39 PM
I am 0/2 on WD drives. First died at about 3 years, the other at 9 months. I'll never buy another one again - I'm sticking to Seagates.