PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreak will be released... TODAY!

ToCsIcK
Oct 10, 2007, 07:22 AM
Niacin has changed the #itouch IRC channel's topic to

'Yes exploit will be released today. No we haven't tested third party apps... yes they will likely work!!!'

GOOD NEWS :):):):)

Genghis Khan
Oct 10, 2007, 07:27 AM
counts down to software update from apple

Quickdood
Oct 10, 2007, 07:28 AM

'Yes exploit will be released today. No we haven't tested third party apps... yes they will likely work!!!'

Sounds like good news to me! I will prob wait a little though, I need something user friendly and I rather not brick my touch. Once a GUI hack comes out for windows I will be all over it.

Arisian
Oct 10, 2007, 07:29 AM

haha, true

gloss
Oct 10, 2007, 07:32 AM
I want a Jailbreak for one huge reason.

Text adventures on my iPod. omg.

ToCsIcK
Oct 10, 2007, 07:35 AM
Sounds like good news to me! I will prob wait a little though, I need something user friendly and I rather not brick my touch. Once a GUI hack comes out for windows I will be all over it.

Even better news. It will be friendlier then any other handheld device hack. Simply point safari at a URL and let it work its magic!!

Lin
Oct 10, 2007, 07:37 AM
Well, er... how to join that #itouch channel :confused: <blush>
I am at the Chatroom screen of the Toc2rta, but can't figure what to do now!!

ToCsIcK
Oct 10, 2007, 07:41 AM

Lin what IRC client are you using?

simply join the channel #itouch

Evangelion
Oct 10, 2007, 07:42 AM
I want a Jailbreak for one huge reason.

Text adventures on my iPod. omg.

Damn.... you.... I was already perfectly content with the idea of having completely stock 16GB touch, but now you planted the idea of playing Infocom-games on the touch in to my head....

jacktiernan
Oct 10, 2007, 07:50 AM

Hey, i just talked to you! Welcome to MacRumors! :D

Lin
Oct 10, 2007, 07:52 AM
Hey, i just talked to you! Welcome to MacRumors! :D
Ok :) Had to use another pseudo, as you may have noted!
seeya!

Lin
Oct 10, 2007, 07:53 AM
Lin what IRC client are you using?
simply join the channel #itouch
This one:
http://www.toc2rta.com/?q=pjirc

I just don't know how to join a channel :confused:

db2431
Oct 10, 2007, 07:54 AM

This will be the long convulted method of jailbreaking, not the 1 touch installer, not practical for any novice or average pc/touch user.Id wait a few days.

ToCsIcK
Oct 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
This will be the long convulted method of jailbreaking, not the 1 touch installer, not practical for any novice or average pc/touch user.Id wait a few days.

Again it uses a tiff exploit which required you to simply open a page in safari with the custom tiff file.

virus1
Oct 10, 2007, 08:14 AM

Why does everybody think this would brick it? Worst case scenario: You need to restore. I think people either dont understand the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking, or they just like to say the word brick as a verb.

Quickdood
Oct 10, 2007, 08:22 AM
Why does everybody think this would brick it? Worst case scenario: You need to restore. I think people either dont understand the difference between jailbreaking and unlocking, or they just like to say the word brick as a verb.

Dont make me brick you! he he he brick... I love verbs :D

db2431
Oct 10, 2007, 08:24 AM
Again it uses a tiff exploit which required you to simply open a page in safari with the custom tiff file.

lol, it wont be anywhere near as easy as that, not at this stage.The Tiff merely crashes the browser for an exploit to be run.

Chris F
Oct 10, 2007, 08:26 AM
This one:
http://www.toc2rta.com/?q=pjirc

I just don't know how to join a channel :confused:

Type /join #itouch

You can also /leave #dacp which that client seems to drop you into automagically. More important question... which IRC network is #itouch on?

Its not freenode which the java client linked above is default connecting to.

Anyhow, I gotta go to work, if someone does post the server the appropriate command to switch is:
/server <server ip/honstname>

Also, /nick <name> to change your display name.

gloss
Oct 10, 2007, 08:42 AM
Damn.... you.... I was already perfectly content with the idea of having completely stock 16GB touch, but now you planted the idea of playing Infocom-games on the touch in to my head....

Isn't it just pants-wettingly tempting?

Lin
Oct 10, 2007, 08:56 AM
Type /join #itouch
THANKS!! Seems to work, this time...

canonwire
Oct 10, 2007, 09:13 AM
i have no problem wading through some terminal like instructions but I was wondering if a graphical and easy jailbreak solution that would be basically one step...?

ToCsIcK
Oct 10, 2007, 09:15 AM
lol, it wont be anywhere near as easy as that, not at this stage.The Tiff merely crashes the browser for an exploit to be run.

The first exploit of this kind simply crashed the browser, that was a proof of concept that the buffer overflow exploid existed on the iPod Touch.

From what i have put together from the lead developers and other people in contact with them. You will navigate to a remote server using safari and the tiff will, through a series of complex events originating from a buffer overflow, umounts the drive and remounts it with read/write access. From here it will change the file that tells the os how to mount drives, the fstab file, to always mount it with the read/write perms. Thus JAILBREAK

Don't quote me on any of this as it is just my perception of what has been said in the IRC channel.

elbirth
Oct 10, 2007, 09:30 AM
Really glad to hear the jailbreak will be out sometime today. I really want to give it a go on my new iPod touch to see what can be added to it and how much more useful it can be. Hopefully there will at some point be a way to keep them out of jail through the Apple updates, but who knows if that's possible or how long it could take.

RyanG
Oct 10, 2007, 09:53 AM

It's rather easy for them to fix, given that the way they hacked it is released all over the Internet. Honestly, the news articles and such ruin it. They basically give the exploit to Apple and they just fix it right up.

Mystikal
Oct 10, 2007, 09:59 AM
Woooooooo!

Except I gotta return my iPod today...

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
Hey in order to get ready for the jailbreak (apps ect.) any one with an iPhone know how much space they ended up using? I have only about 300mbs left.. :(

how much should i clear out before this is official?

Quickdood
Oct 10, 2007, 10:17 AM
I can't wait to put the Books.app on my touch, that is the main reason I wanted a jail break, I can listen to music and read books on my touch! Also notes will be kind of nice.

Can anyone post here when apps have been ported to the ipod touch, so far only a jailbreak has been confirmed, no apps yet. I don't have access to IRC at work.

adamsweeting
Oct 10, 2007, 10:42 AM
irc was pretty active earlier on... seems to be deathly quiet at the moment.

Still nothing officially released yet.

PowerFullMac
Oct 10, 2007, 10:54 AM
The server the IRC channel is on is irc.toc2rta.com and the room is #itouch.

db2431
Oct 10, 2007, 10:54 AM
The first exploit of this kind simply crashed the browser, that was a proof of concept that the buffer overflow exploid existed on the iPod Touch.

From what i have put together from the lead developers and other people in contact with them. You will navigate to a remote server using safari and the tiff will, through a series of complex events originating from a buffer overflow, umounts the drive and remounts it with read/write access. From here it will change the file that tells the os how to mount drives, the fstab file, to always mount it with the read/write perms. Thus JAILBREAK

Don't quote me on any of this as it is just my perception of what has been said in the IRC channel.

ok my bad it will be simple then, how are the apps then copied over, just drag and drop?

Arisian
Oct 10, 2007, 11:21 AM
i dloaded the iphone apps a LOONG time ago, i got them somewhere and I think i deleted them. all this to say, they are out there somewhere

arisian

chrismarks
Oct 10, 2007, 11:26 AM
I am happy about the jailbreak not becuase I want to use 3rd party apps but becuase it will hopefully force apple to inticing people with the missing features (mail, adding calandar events, VPN ,etc) so that they will update to a versoin that will block the jailbreak as well.

Am I just hoping? I really just want my IPT to get those three things:(

ToCsIcK
Oct 10, 2007, 11:42 AM
ok my bad it will be simple then, how are the apps then copied over, just drag and drop?

No you will need a program called iphuc until a GUI is released.

mrhockey123
Oct 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
I am happy about the jailbreak not becuase I want to use 3rd party apps but becuase it will hopefully force apple to inticing people with the missing features (mail, adding calandar events, VPN ,etc) so that they will update to a versoin that will block the jailbreak as well.

Am I just hoping? I really just want my IPT to get those three things:(

You sound like an addict "just one more - last one - I promise!" lol.

I'm obsessed with my Touch. It is everything I thought it would be, and more, but as I said in a different thread, we have nothing to lose. Either apple gives up trying to stop the hacks, or they keep enticing us with sugar so we swallow their hack-proof medicine.

Wait - I hope apple doesn't create a nice little iPhone/Touch virus using the TIFF exploit, then come back to the community and say "see what you guys did? we warned you about this!" ....but apple isn't evil, right?

Although, truthfully, as other people who are far more programmer-savvy than myself have already said, the TIFF exploit is a dangerous creature and it could be used by evil people to mess up the Phone/Touch.

Just a thought

db2431
Oct 10, 2007, 11:52 AM
No you will need a program called iphuc until a GUI is released.

Thanks, I tracked down iPHUC for windows if anyone isnt on a mac, you can get it here if you want to prepare.

h**p://iphucwin32.googlecode.com/files/iphucwin32_binary_09_14_2007.zip

Evangelion
Oct 10, 2007, 12:23 PM
Isn't it just pants-wettingly tempting?

aye, it is...

Arisian
Oct 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
so does anyone know where things are right now? Also, I would love to know once someone has the info to hack theres, could it be possible to add the iphone apps. If anyone cant find them, let me know and Ill go digging through my internet history and see if I can find where I found them.

swanseastu
Oct 10, 2007, 02:36 PM
I have them (iphone apps) on my personal web space, but not sure if I can post a link to it on this forum.

If anyone can email me a generic place to put them, I will (mods permission required??)

Dont want to upset anyone / break any rules

Its all very exciting though......give me mail give me mail!!

jepaz
Oct 10, 2007, 02:42 PM
Just be very patient. Let's wait for the final procedure and then take the plunge!

nukiduz
Oct 10, 2007, 02:44 PM
http://www.toc2rta.com/ is actually down because of the traffic.

http://winxblog.com/?p=17 will mirror the hack as soon as it's available.

Arisian
Oct 10, 2007, 02:45 PM
i would avoid distributing them (or talking about distributing them;) ) since that is very illigal. I know some websites are doing that, and Im sure you will be ok, but its never fun to be the first one that is made an example of..

just a thought

Arisian

joxer
Oct 10, 2007, 02:52 PM
It's only illegal in the US where you don't get to own the devices you paid for. DMCA is the most assinine POS ever developed. Like with a xbox - I can see perfectly well why they would be banned from xbox live with a modded console, and I want them banned, but illegal to putter about being creative with things like the XBMC? Give me a break. What's next, unscrew a few screws on your toaster and the cops bust down your door?

elbirth
Oct 10, 2007, 03:06 PM
It's only illegal in the US where you don't get to own the devices you paid for. DMCA is the most assinine POS ever developed. Like with a xbox - I can see perfectly well why they would be banned from xbox live with a modded console, and I want them banned, but illegal to putter about being creative with things like the XBMC? Give me a break. What's next, unscrew a few screws on your toaster and the cops bust down your door?

I'd like to see some documentation stating that it's illegal... I seriously don't believe that. I could easily see it voiding the warranty (well, if you show up to an Apple store with a bunch of stuff on it, at least, but if you wipe it, I doubt they'd know you did anything since it's all software).

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
ITS OUT

http://jailbreak.toc2rta.com type that into your iPt browser

not doing it yet for me though :P

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 03:20 PM
If you go to toc2rta.com, it say sthe Jailbreak is officially released, and to go to:

http://jailbreak.toc2rta.com

I would be careful though, it might better to hear some reports before hitting that link on your Touch. Note that going to the URL alone doesn't seem to be enough, you also need iPhuc and will probably need to follow some other instructions.

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 03:23 PM
If you go to toc2rta.com, it say sthe Jailbreak is officially released, and to go to:

I would be careful though, it might better to hear some reports before hitting that link on your Touch. Note that going to the URL alone doesn't seem to be enough, you also need iPhuc and will probably need to follow some other instructions.

Im not doing a thing until i see some apps running on the iPt so go for it people w/ balls!

onionperson654
Oct 10, 2007, 03:26 PM
toc2rta.com just released the jailbreak for the iphone 1.1.1 and ipod touch.

Don't use the exploit unless you know what you're doing! This will cause you not to be able to sync from iTunes.

You will need to use IPHUC to access the filesystem. This is for experienced users only.

Please note: After navigating to the exploit site, your safari WILL CRASH and you will be returned to the home screen.
This is the EXPECTED RESULT, it means that the exploit executed!

WAIT FOR A TUTORIAL to be released, if you don't know what you're doing.

---toc2rta.com

To activate the jailbreak, nativate to the following link on your iphone/ipod touch:

Please post results below, especially any success at adding new applications, but as is quoted above, wait if you don't know what you are doing...

psychofreak
Oct 10, 2007, 03:27 PM
There is already a thread on this...

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 03:28 PM
Don't use the exploit unless you know what you're doing! This will cause you not to be able to sync from iTunes.

You will need to use IPHUC to access the filesystem. This is for experienced users only.

should prob. post that too!!

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 03:29 PM
I think it's better to have a new thread, given the exploit is now officially released.

EDIT- Rhosfelt posted the warning text right before me.

If you happen to go to the URL and are stuck, I believe you should be able to do a restore from iTunes, and it will bring your Touch back to normal.

sblasl
Oct 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
IMHO, I would think this through very thoroughly before attempting this. You will only have your self to blame if it bricks your device now or with any future updates.

Apple will not be responsible for your actions should you decide to attempt this, nor should they be.

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 03:32 PM
IMHO, I would think this through very thoroughly before attempting this. You will only have your self to blame if it bricks your device now or with any future updates.

Apple will not be responsible for your actions should you decide to attempt this, nor should they be.

Thank you capt. Obvious..

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 03:33 PM
Maybe I will go to the Apple store today and have some fun... ;)

(just kidding, but I'm sure people will do it anyway...)

pushateg7
Oct 10, 2007, 03:36 PM
Thank you capt. Obvious..

Yikes, I can guarantee that some lurkers or newbies do not know that. So I wouldn't jump the gun on criticizing someone who is trying to warn new owners and people who are unaware of this fact.

colincampbell
Oct 10, 2007, 03:37 PM
Hey I installed Jailbreak and it turned my Touch into an iPhone!

ahmed.hassan
Oct 10, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'm not extremely well versed in the workings of this hack and am just wondering if there are any changes made to the file system, the firmware or indeed any form of data on the iPod touch or iPhone that won't be returned to normal by restoring them via iTunes? If there are no permanent changes made, surely it makes the nature of the hack seem less terminal, because if the device can be returned to normal prior an update from Apple, there's no risk of a bricked iPod touch or iPhone?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 03:38 PM
Here's a choice quote from 1 poster on the IRC Channel-

EVEN AFTER COMPLETE RESTORE STILL NOT BEEING RECOGNIZED BY ITUNES !

AND STILL NO NOTHING WORKING

So yeah, wait for other people to sort things out and make sure it's reasonably safe.

Someone else did say they did a restore, and all was back to normal. It's pretty much mass confusion at this point.

EDIT- I guess a guide/wiki is being worked on.

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yikes, I can guarantee that some lurkers or newbies do not know that. So I wouldn't jump the gun on criticizing someone who is trying to warn new owners and people who are unaware of this fact.

It is as simple as if you don't know what you are doing don't try it. You can brick a $400 iPod by being ignorant. Of course to hacking I am ignorant, so I am waiting for a step by step (friday at the latest with this hype) so I don't destroy a brand new, expensive, iPod.

Common sense people, any threat that says I bricked my iPod by trying the hack, and now I can't sync to iTunes should be deleted. for stupidity.

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 03:44 PM
LOL, people are mirroring the tiff now too. This is gonna be worse than ****** (sp?), until Apple issues a patch...it should be called 'iPod ******'

EDIT- wow, that word that starts with 'goat' and ends with 'se' is automatically x'ed out. I guess that makes sense...

matt52592
Oct 10, 2007, 03:46 PM
why does everyone keep saying that it will brick your touch after an update...the worst that will happen is you having to restore it. The iphones that were bricked were the unlocked ones not the hacked 3rd party apps ones

appledrummer
Oct 10, 2007, 03:49 PM
where can I join the irc chat? I cant seem to find it.

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 03:49 PM
why does everyone keep saying that it will brick your touch after an update...the worst that will happen is you having to restore it. The iphones that were bricked were the unlocked ones not the hacked 3rd party apps ones

I didn't say that; it can (and will get bricked) if you try to jailbreak it and have no idea what you are doing.

matt52592
Oct 10, 2007, 03:53 PM
I didn't say that; it can (and will get bricked) if you try to jailbreak it and have no idea what you are doing.

im not saying it was you. i know that if it is done wrong that will happen but people are saying that they will wait till the next update to see if it will get bricked. (thats where they're wrong)

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 03:56 PM
where can I join the irc chat? I cant seem to find it.

irc.toc2rta.com

The channel or whatever is #itouch

All hell is breaking loose. It's worked for some, others can't sync, have only 300 MB capacity, etc. Most people seem to be able to restore successfully.

EDIT- Colloquy is a great Mac IRC program (free too.)

jepaz
Oct 10, 2007, 03:56 PM
I'll just wait for the tutorial steps for doing any move.

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 04:24 PM
The people that had problems restoring, seem to be able to restore by entering recovery mode. So hopefully despite whatever snags still need to be worked out, there will be no bricks.

Just wait for the tutorial, I'm sure it will be out by later tonight.

db2431
Oct 10, 2007, 04:27 PM
Just wait for the tutorial, I'm sure it will be out by later tonight.

lol from being in the irc channel nobody seems to know what they are doing yet and people are having to restore all over the place.

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 04:30 PM
lol from being in the irc channel nobody seems to know what they are doing yet and people are having to restore all over the place.

I guess that's your only option when you have a jailbroken iPod Touch that only has 300 MB capacity, can't sync with iTunes, and can't install any 3rd part apps anyways. :p

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 04:34 PM
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?7186658965.jpg

EDIT- This is not mine, just posting a link from the IRC

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 04:45 PM
http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?7186658965.jpg

How is it running? Could you PM me where you got the apps and how you did it..just a quick run through?

gosling
Oct 10, 2007, 04:55 PM
I apologize in advance for being a dumbass, but after i downloaded the jailbreak, my ipod wont restore, and i get this message: The ipod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-18). I've already tried to restore on another computer to no avail. I don't really care about 3rd party apps right now, i just want to be able to sync my ipod. Any help is appreciated.

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 04:57 PM
You have to enter recovery mode. That's what I saw on the IRC, but I don't know exactly how.

Also, someone installed the iPhone Calendar app on his iTouch, was able to create an event, and sync it over to his Mac.

EDIT- Try this-
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/04/reset-and-restore-iphone-to-original-default-factory-settings-with-recovery-mode/

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 05:04 PM
How is it running? Could you PM me where you got the apps and how you did it..just a quick run through?

Sorry, I didn't do it myself, just posted a link from the IRC-

gosling
Oct 10, 2007, 05:06 PM
I apologize in advance for being a dumbass, but after i downloaded the jailbreak, my ipod wont restore, and i get this message: The ipod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-18). I've already tried to restore on another computer to no avail. I don't really care about 3rd party apps right now, i just want to be able to sync my ipod. Any help is appreciated.

Sorry, didn't work :( and what is this IRC you speak of (im a noob) and how do you access it?

Rhosfelt
Oct 10, 2007, 05:06 PM
Sorry, I didn't do it myself, just posted a link from the IRC-

Damn haha I was hoping you got it to work..

Rapmastac1
Oct 10, 2007, 05:07 PM
I haven't hacked my touch yet, but I tried that restore mode thing, and it does not work for the touch. I turned it off and held the home button forever, and it doesn't bring anything up. I turned it on up top and held the home button and still nothing.

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 05:10 PM
Sorry, didn't work :( and what is this IRC you speak of (im a noob) and how do you access it?

I think you're supposed to hold the home and power button down until something comes on your screen.

But Rapmastac says that doesn't work. Give it a try. Maybe with the iPod docked, then without.

IRC is a chat system, people are trying to figure out the jailbreak there. It might take some time for it to all sort out, but don't worry, you should be able to get your iPod back-

Rapmastac1
Oct 10, 2007, 05:13 PM
Here are the steps, but... these are for the iPhone.

To restore iPhone and reset the phone to default factory settings, follow these steps:

Turn off iPhone - Hold down the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red slider appears, then slide the red slider. Ignore this step if your iPhone is already off.
Press and hold down the Home button for about 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with a text which says Please Connect to iTunes appears.

Plug the iPhone into Mac or Windows PC. Release the button if you havenít.
Run and open iTunes if itís not already opened yet.
iTunes will prompt a message that says iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. Click OK.
You will be taken to the iPhone pane. Then, click on Restore.
Wait for the full restoration process to complete, and the iPhone will be back to the original settings state as when it left the manufacturing factory, typically a working phone again if you face any problem, unless itís hardware related.

There has to be some restore mode for the Touch, lets get to work and find it!

Vikinguy
Oct 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
This thread is freaking hilarious.

elbirth
Oct 10, 2007, 05:16 PM
I found this tutorial, but it requires you to have an iPhone to get the apps to the touch :(

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/iphone-v1-1-1-jailbreak-apptapp-installation-guide

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
Can someone tell me how to do this?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_Guide#Jailbreak_iPod

Seem to be complete instructions after you load the TIF.

psychofreak
Oct 10, 2007, 06:09 PM
Hopefully there will be a GUI for this process soonish...

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 06:24 PM
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Jailbreak_Guide#Jailbreak_iPod

Seem to be complete instructions after you load the TIF.

How do you load the TIF?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 06:27 PM
http://toc2rta.com/

I'm pretty sure with that, and the instructions page I posted earlier, you should have everything you need.

It might be safer to wait a day or 2, although at this point it seems like if anything goes wrong you can restore your Touch to original state.

It would be nice if we knew for sure how to enter recovery mode and then reload old OS on the Touch.

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 06:27 PM
http://toc2rta.com/

What do you do there?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 06:45 PM
What do you do there?

That has a general description of the TIF exploit and what happens after you load it, then tells you to go to jailbreak.toc2rta.com to load the TIF.

Then you follow the other instructions I posted the link to.

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 06:49 PM
That has a general description of the TIF exploit and what happens after you load it, then tells you to go to jailbreak.toc2rta.com to load the TIF.

Then you follow the other instructions I posted the link to.

When I go to the jailbreak.toc2.rta.com it goes home and does nothing what do I do now?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 06:51 PM
When I go to the jailbreak.toc2.rta.com it goes home and does nothing what do I do now?

I don't know exactly what happens. I know you're not supposed to get a big song and dance, Safari is supposed to crash and that's basically it.

I would just try the other instructions, and see if it works.

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
I don't know exactly what happens. I know you're not supposed to get a big song and dance, Safari is supposed to crash and that's basically it.

I would just try the other instructions, and see if it works.

i tried but when I type sudo cp ~/Desktop/opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib it asks for a password?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 07:03 PM
i tried but when I type sudo cp ~/Desktop/opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib /opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib it asks for a password?

Not sure. It says to do that command, or put the 'opt' folder (out of the unzipped directory on your desktop) directly in your HD. Maybe try that instead.

EDIT- Are you logged in as admin on your Mac? Maybe try entering a password to an admin account on your Mac?

Yeah, I think that should do it-
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/sudo.8.html

Vigilante
Oct 10, 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm sorry in advance for misusing terms, I understand the concept but I don't know the correct use of some of these terms. :)

Once the Jailbreak is introduced, subsequently followed by Apple's update (probably with something "nifty"-- a fix to a bug they placed on purpose, perhaps), is it really is easy as using the Restore option on iTunes to bring your iPod Touch back to normal? I don't want to use this hack to find that I can't undo it. I know that bricking them isn't like everyone is saying, but would it really be as easy to remove the Jailbreak as this?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 07:10 PM
Previous Jailbreaks could be undone by restoring, because that overwrites the entire OS (including everything you did to jailbreak.)

But...you may want to wait until more detailed guides are available, including information on restoring. Just to be on the safe side...

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 07:12 PM
Not sure. It says to do that command, or put the 'opt' folder (out of the unzipped directory on your desktop) directly in your HD. Maybe try that instead.

EDIT- Are you logged in as admin on your Mac? Maybe try entering a password to an admin account on your Mac?

Yeah, I think that should do it-
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/sudo.8.html

I am the admin it won't let me type anything?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 07:14 PM

When you enter your password, no letters will show onscreen for security purposes. Just type your complete password and hit enter.

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 07:14 PM
thanks

ebel3003
Oct 10, 2007, 07:16 PM

In UNIX, passwords aren't echoed back. It's inputting, you just can't see it.

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 07:16 PM
thanks

Cool, post back and let us know what happens!!

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 07:17 PM
I tried it now it sais cp: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib: No such file or directory

iLoveiPod
Oct 10, 2007, 07:31 PM
whenever i try to launch the iphuc file provided in the Wiki guide, it just says binary cant be executed! ahh

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 07:35 PM
I tried it now it sais cp: /opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib: No such file or directory

Check the top level your HD, is the 'opt' folder there?

EDIT- Did you unzip that rapidshare file onto your desktop? If so, you should have a folder on your desktop called 'opt', if you go into the folder you should find:

Desktop/opt/local/lib/libreadline.5.2.dylib

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 07:47 PM
whenever i try to launch the iphuc file provided in the Wiki guide, it just says binary cant be executed! ahh

Are you Intel or PPC? I wonder if that makes a difference.

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 07:51 PM
Are you Intel or PPC? I wonder if that makes a difference.

PPC

Hydramus
Oct 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
It's only working for intel macs at the moment, so you're gonna have to wait a little bit longer.

iLoveiPod
Oct 10, 2007, 07:54 PM
yah im on a ppc, i dont think it should matter though, commands are all the same right? I think ill just wait for a gui to come out, or a concrete tutorial that everyone can do.

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 07:57 PM
It's only working for intel macs at the moment, so you're gonna have to wait a little bit longer.

Sourse

Hydramus
Oct 10, 2007, 08:06 PM
Sourse

Hmmm, I don't remember where i read it. Nor can i find it :confused:. Maybe I'm just talking rubbish and need some sleep...

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 08:07 PM
I will have to wait:mad: When my dad gets home he will help me

iLoveiPod
Oct 10, 2007, 08:13 PM
ill just go to the apple store or frys and hook my ipod up to a mbp for a few minutes :)

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 08:38 PM
Now my iPod has no music videos or photos and my mac is now telling me to shut down the computer. Does this mean anything?

madmaxmedia
Oct 10, 2007, 08:55 PM
Now my iPod has no music videos or photos and my mac is now telling me to shut down the computer. Does this mean anything?

You might want to restore your iPod to original condition so you can use it normally, then wait for a PPC compatible protocol.

I don't know for certain about PPC/Intel, but when I do a 'get info' on the iphuc file it says 'Intel' in the info.

Oliver G
Oct 10, 2007, 08:58 PM
You might want to restore your iPod to original condition so you can use it normally, then wait for a PPC compatible protocol.

I don't know for certain about PPC/Intel, but when I do a 'get info' on the iphuc file it says 'Intel' in the info.

It is now restored Guess I will have to wait.

Lin
Oct 11, 2007, 01:27 AM
iPhuc is NOT working on PPC Macs, so you can't jailbreak the IPT without a MacIntel...

Oliver G
Oct 11, 2007, 01:28 AM
iPhuc is NOT working on PPC Macs, so you can't jailbreak the IPT without a MacIntel...

I know, I am going mad without the hack

iLoveiPod
Oct 11, 2007, 01:30 AM
dude Oliver...just chill for a few days about it. Like i said in the other thread you started, be patient. There will probably be a universal release soon.

Dave10492
Oct 11, 2007, 05:22 AM
I'm thinking of trying this process guys, any reasons anyone has come up with not to? Don't really have much knowledge in command line, and I only moved to the mac platform about a month and a half ago. Do you think i've got a fair chance of getting it to work, or should I just wait?

PowerFullMac
Oct 11, 2007, 06:01 AM
For all who have jailbreaked and want iPhone apps I will give you a .rar file containing the uncrippled Calender, Maps, Notes and Mail apps from the iPhone. If im not allowed to upload it on here ill PM you a link once I upload the file.

Dave10492
Oct 11, 2007, 06:08 AM
For all who have jailbreaked and want iPhone apps I will give you a .rar file containing the uncrippled Calender, Maps, Notes and Mail apps from the iPhone. If im not allowed to upload it on here ill PM you a link once I upload the file.

Sounds good :). I've completed the 'hack' now :). Where do I get the mail/maps/ whatever else from? :)

PowerFullMac
Oct 11, 2007, 12:31 PM
Get your iPhone apps here people! (http://files-upload.com/files/554947/iPhoneApps.zip) Freshly uploaded by me, use at your own risk and responsibility :D

dankn
Oct 11, 2007, 01:16 PM
I need help. I was installing the SSH, my ipod froze after one of the restarts and now I cannot get past the apple screen. Anyone know how to fix this? Please, anyone lol.

PowerFullMac
Oct 12, 2007, 10:17 AM
Reuploaded to a better site! (http://www.mediafire.com/?f41hjaxu315) Get your iPhone apps today! Dont delay, pwn Apple today!