Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Has anyone used a touch with a car iPod adapter and have it work? Im referring to one that connects through the dock connector. I know its the same size but there have been reports of the touch software not working with peripherals used for gen 5.5.

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Has anyone used a touch with a car iPod adapter and have it work? Im referring to one that connects through the dock connector. I know its the same size but there have been reports of the touch software not working with peripherals used for gen 5.5.

Works fine on my older Alpine stereo with iPod hookup.

johnsonsimon

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2007
I got a Belkin TuneFM adapter and it works just fine, except with the old ipod it used to display the FM frequency on the ipod screen so you could se what it was set at and alter it, etc... on the touch this doesnt appear, it just says accessory/device connected and then starts to play.

You can still alter the FM frequency but you just can see what you are changing it to.

I would suggest buying an iTrip that has the little LCD screen on it.

aft

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
the griffin tune flex works well for a holder and charger if you have an AUX interface.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
If you have an older car, you could just buy a little cassette adaptor, with a headphone input jack on it. They cost like 2 bucks.

I have a 2005 Scion tC. My friend has the iSimple adapter installed thru Best Buy and it sounds great. Thats what i would want.

DocVT

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2006
On my Belkin, I cannot seem to find the FM station that it is broadcasting to. Still, doesn't work for me.

I got a Belkin TuneFM adapter and it works fine, except with the old ipod it used to display the FM frequency on the ipod screen so you could se what it was set at and alter it, etc... on the touch this doesnt appear, it just says accessory/device connected and then starts to play.
You can still alter the FM frequency but you just can see what you are changing it to. I would suggest buying an iTrip that has the little LCD screen on it.

funkyshaker

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
For those that are interested the Touch works fine with the Dension Icelink system. Steering wheel controls also work.

jelloyacket

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm planning on getting a Griffin iTrip (Dock). Has anybody gotten one to charge their touch with a cell phone car charger? In another forum, somebody mentioned their wall charger doesn't seem to work with it. Griffin's website claims compatibility, but the owner's manual hasn't been updated for the newer iPod models.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Buy a new car, my Civic has an audio port, and the audio male-male adapter is only $4 at Wal-Mart :D

Yeah too bad the car will put a big dent in your wallet. I won't have enough cash after the male-male adapter; then I'll just be stuck with 2 males...sausagefest is whack.

Tmchenry2010

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
Could you install an audio port in your car?

all i have is a stock CD player in my car and i cant buy a new one b/c i just spent all of my money on my ipt :p

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I just got an Alpine 9870 head unit installed into my Beetle and the Touch works perfectly on it! No need to even touch the Touch. I can safely access my ipod now. There was one trick that took me a bit to figure out. In order to access songs, artists, playlists, etc., i needed to turn off shuffle on the iPod Touch. Ummm where do you do that? The manual was not clear on that. It's not in settings. Answer: Click on the album art while you have a song playing. It will flip to the other side showing the songs on that album and other info. On the top right you will see a shuffle icon. When it's blue, it's on shuffle, touch it, it turns white, then the shuffle is turned off. When it's turned off like this, then the Alpine units work correctly.:D

rworne

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Los Angeles
For those that are interested the Touch works fine with the Dension Icelink system. Steering wheel controls also work.

Yes but the iPod display will no longer show the song info or any settings from the settings menu. Bummer.

Still, it works in ipod interface mode - and that seems to work better than the fully integrated mode anyway. Just if you switch to the wrong disc # on the radio, you are screwed.

I submitted a bug report to Apple about this, and I know what they plan to do with it, but unfortunately I am under an NDA as to their plans on fixing the bug.

But if I could say something, it would be: "don't hold your breath".

WiLo

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
I got a Kenwood KDC-MP428 and I just bought a KCA-iP500 interface iPod and its working excellent.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
my new pioneer headunit also connects fine, the ipod screen comes up on the headunit screen which is a bit **** as id rather use the ipod easier and COOLer :D mite hook it up as aux in sometime in the near future:rolleyes:

bozboyku1

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
JVC head unit adapter does not work :( hopefully it will be fixed in a firmware update cause im still using my old ipod with my ipod interface..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.