PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Releases Wiretap Studio 1.0

MacRumors
Oct 11, 2007, 09:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

As a followup to our early Preview (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/13/exclusive-preview-ambrosia-softwares-wiretap-studio/) of Wiretap Studio, today Ambrosia Software (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/ ) released version 1.0 of Wiretap Studio (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/).

Wiretap Studio is a rewrite of the Wiretap Pro application and is aimed as a mid-range (http://macapper.com/2007/10/11/wiretap-studio-interview-with-andrew-welch-of-ambrosia-sw/) solution for anyone who records audio.
What we tried to do with the editor is make something that did 90% of what people do with recorded audio extremely well. We’re not competing with Peak or other high end audio products. Again through interviewing people, we determined what things people did with their audio. We then set out to make an audio editor that was really, really good at the things these people did most of the time.

Perhaps most impressive new feature is the real-time audio encoding (Quicktime demo (http://media.macrumorslive.com/m/im/wts.mov )). The product sells for $69.00 with $30 upgrades for existing owners of Wiretap Pro, Audio Hijack Pro, or Fission. Free downloadable version (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/) is available for trial.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/11/ambrosia-releases-wiretap-studio-1-0/)

xA4Hx
Oct 11, 2007, 10:00 PM
Looks pretty cool, just playing with the editor alone, for a minute I like more then audicity. I believe in 30 days , i be opening my wallet. I like to edit and audio jack music off dvd for my next ring tone , now when itone is up and running will be buying that to .

-A4H

Abstract
Oct 11, 2007, 10:03 PM
Try Audacity Pro as well. ;)

phytonix
Oct 11, 2007, 10:09 PM
Oh rob me pleaz

KingYaba
Oct 11, 2007, 10:18 PM
$69.00?! :eek:

Eidorian
Oct 11, 2007, 10:37 PM
So why should I buy this over Audio Hijack Pro? :confused:

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 12:27 AM
So why should I buy this over Audio Hijack Pro? :confused:

Because it does much more than Audio Hijack Pro. It does what AHP does, includes an editor (no need for Fission), and has features like LivePreview and lossless master editing that AHP lacks.

Download it, try it, and I think you'll agree with me. If not, no wuckins! :)

arn
Oct 12, 2007, 12:56 AM
Feedback on the presence of this story on MacRumors.com at all should be directed to:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=367570

all existing posts on this topic have been moved to that thread. Sorry if it offends anyone.

Please try to keep posts on this thread about the topic itself.

arn

dAlen
Oct 12, 2007, 01:02 AM
Its to bad none of the links to their site currently work.
Its 8:00am GMT+1 Time, so who knows...maybe their server is down for maintenance? Not even the home page comes up.

Peace

dAlen

Multimedia
Oct 12, 2007, 01:02 AM
Should have a review up in the next week.

dAlen
Oct 12, 2007, 01:26 AM
No one else having trouble getting to the site?

Suppose its just my internet service - thats kind of weird. But I do live in the middle of nowhere in the country of Hungary, so it could be...mighty curious to try the program though. :)

Peace

dAlen

edit: just saw the update after I posted, thanks for link - i will try now.

arn
Oct 12, 2007, 01:27 AM
No one else having trouble getting to the site?

they appear to be having problems

Here's a direct download link: http://ambrosia.cachefly.net/wiretapstudio/essentials/WireTapStudio.dmg

that should work in the meanwhile.

arn

dAlen
Oct 12, 2007, 01:29 AM
they appear to be having problems

Here's a direct download link: http://ambrosia.cachefly.net/wiretapstudio/essentials/WireTapStudio.dmg

that should work in the meanwhile.

arn

Totally cool - thanks for the link, it worked. :)

Rod76
Oct 12, 2007, 01:37 AM
I own Fission/Audio Hijack Pro along with WireTap Pro. And all I can say is WireTap Studio puts them all to shame. Its very simple to use, yet incredibly powerful. Not to mention elegant, which is a huge selling point to me. If a program looks ugly, my mind assumes it works ugly too.

BKKbill
Oct 12, 2007, 04:10 AM
Ambrosia site is back up.

dAlen
Oct 12, 2007, 05:01 AM
One thing Im not totally clear on after watching the videos, and it has to do with layers.

If I understand the concept correctly, you can record from 2 different sources.
Each source will be recorded separately, not picking up any computer noises - or any noise, for that matter, that doesnt come from the app that being recorded itself. (that is cool)

Now when you go to edit these two sources they are in the same window - new concept - but in theory you can add effects, ect. separately.

But do you have fine control over the edits? Fades, cuts, trims, etc.
The ability to drag one clip up a few notches in the time line to fill in the 'gap' you make in the 'music' clip (for example.) If you can do this, than this is really sweet.

The app is looking to be pretty cool, its the app I wanted 7 years ago. :)
Ad multilayer editing support and throw in 'insert tone' (various wave patterns with low frequencies) and this would be 'prime' ...that is for me. :D

Peace

dAlen

twoodcc
Oct 12, 2007, 06:14 AM
Ambrosia's the same company that puts out iToner... so if you were one of the thousands who visit this site who were relieved that Ambrosia put out a ringtone software, then you (like me) might be interested in a software that records audio directly from iTunes, Quicktime, or through your inputs.

so it can record directly from iTunes and Quicktime? that's pretty cool

john7jr
Oct 12, 2007, 07:01 AM
I won't buy this personally. Not because I wouldn't find it useful, quite the opposite, but their licensing methods get in my way. I frequently reinstall my machines (since I work in IT and frequently test things on my laptop, reinstall to build images, etc) and they require me to contact them for a new serial number every time I want to reinstall. The serial numbers expire after like 2 weeks. (Note: your license doesn't - just the serial number.)

It's been a pain with Snapz Pro, and my current system doesn't even have it installed anymore. I just got tired of the hoops. I understand why they feel they need to do it, but it's not very customer friendly.

zioxide
Oct 12, 2007, 07:15 AM
WireTap Studio eh.. must be Bush's favorite new app

dAlen
Oct 12, 2007, 07:16 AM
The serial numbers expire after like 2 weeks. (Note: your license doesn't - just the serial number.)
Uh...yes, that is pretty bad if that is the case - having to put a new serial number in every 2 weeks...Ive been playing with it most of the morning, trying to get a feel for what it does and does not do, but such a 'licensing plan' would turn me off from a purchase also.

In a follow up to a question I posed earlier concerning editing 2 tracks.
It appears that you can only record 2 tracks, and though you can do a 'basic' edit of them in the same time-line (interesting, yet cool at the same time), you cannot do more advanced edits available within wiretap studio, let alone trying to slide and adjust the tracks (sync) to one another.

I feel that perhaps I may be missing something, as the whole point of having 2 tracks is useless if you cannot adjust them individually - in time - so that portions of them can sync with the other audio clip you have.

Also, it does not appear that you can drag a clip from another recording onto a single recording. If you want dual tracks, you must acquire them, from what I have seen, through recording from 2 different sources at the same time.

Im not explaining this clear enough, but perhaps one of they guys at wiretap, since they know the program inside out, kind of see where Im going with this.

Overall, its an interesting program that seems to have some potential...just trying to uncover the ins-and-outs of the program to see if it can do what I would like it to.

Peace

dAlen

NoNameBrand
Oct 12, 2007, 07:23 AM
Uh...yes, that is pretty bad if that is the case - having to put a new serial number in every 2 weeks...Ive been playing with it most of the morning, trying to get a feel for what it does and does not do, but such a 'licensing plan' would turn me off from a purchase also.

Assuming it's like Ambrosia's other titles (Redline, EV:N, Snapz Pro), you don't re-enter a new serial. The one you're given is time sensitive. If you have to re-install it, it will go get you a new (valid but time sensitive) serial number if you're on the internet, or you can call them if you aren't.

Assuming you don't give out your serial on the internet, everything will go smoothly when you have to re-install. It's an anti-piracy measure, and I believe it works to an extent, and is totally non-invasive to me as a legitimate end-user.

YuckAndMuck
Oct 12, 2007, 07:49 AM
So what happens if Ambrosia's licensing site is down and I'm trying to do a reinstall at some odd hour? Will I have to call them in the middle of the night to get a new serial number? What happens if (unthinkably) Ambrosia ever went out of business? If I ever had to reinstall after that, their software would no longer work, if I understand correctly.

Eidorian
Oct 12, 2007, 08:16 AM
Because it does much more than Audio Hijack Pro. It does what AHP does, includes an editor (no need for Fission), and has features like LivePreview and lossless master editing that AHP lacks.

Download it, try it, and I think you'll agree with me. If not, no wuckins! :)Still cheaper to get Audio Hijack Pro + Fission.

ZachPruckowski
Oct 12, 2007, 08:43 AM
So what happens if Ambrosia's licensing site is down and I'm trying to do a reinstall at some odd hour? Will I have to call them in the middle of the night to get a new serial number? What happens if (unthinkably) Ambrosia ever went out of business? If I ever had to reinstall after that, their software would no longer work, if I understand correctly.

Presumably, like most other small companies, if they went out of business they would find a way to open the software up. There are several products where when the company went out of business or discontinued the product, they'd either post a permanent key or let you download an unlock or something.

While I'm not a supporter of DRM, it's not anywhere near as invasive or annoying as most models of DRM are. Ideally, it would be unnecessary, but they don't have the time to go around voiding every CD key that winds up on the Interwebs.

iSee
Oct 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
I won't buy this personally. Not because I wouldn't find it useful, quite the opposite, but their licensing methods get in my way. I frequently reinstall my machines (since I work in IT and frequently test things on my laptop, reinstall to build images, etc) and they require me to contact them for a new serial number every time I want to reinstall. The serial numbers expire after like 2 weeks. (Note: your license doesn't - just the serial number.)

It's been a pain with Snapz Pro, and my current system doesn't even have it installed anymore. I just got tired of the hoops. I understand why they feel they need to do it, but it's not very customer friendly.

LOL, that's exactly what happened to me--I own Snapz Pro but don't have it installed anymore. When I got my MBP, I just never installer it. I just didn't what to go through all that trouble again. They have some kind of auto-get-a-new-serial-number button, but of course it did not work. They should really work out a better system. Say, an activation limit.

YuckAndMuck
Oct 12, 2007, 09:07 AM
Presumably, like most other small companies, if they went out of business they would find a way to open the software up. There are several products where when the company went out of business or discontinued the product, they'd either post a permanent key or let you download an unlock or something.

While I'm not a supporter of DRM, it's not anywhere near as invasive or annoying as most models of DRM are. Ideally, it would be unnecessary, but they don't have the time to go around voiding every CD key that winds up on the Interwebs.

Makes sense.

benpatient
Oct 12, 2007, 09:13 AM
Wow. Paying that much for an App that does something you can do on a stinking PC for free. Why doesn't OS X have something to do this for you already?

And sorry, I don't pay for DRMed software unless I have no choice...(CS3)...

If I want to record some audio from my computer, I'll load up boot camp and do it for free in Windows...

lawcomic
Oct 12, 2007, 09:47 AM
Can this be used on multiple computers by the same user, or is it a single machine deal?

MMR
Oct 12, 2007, 10:08 AM
What is going on here? I have been using SnapzPro for a long long time and have never had to enter a SN except when I first installed, so what are you talking about?

benpatient
Oct 12, 2007, 10:12 AM
if for some reason you needed to re-install the app, you would have to get a new serial. if you need to reinstall it 1 week after that, you could use the same one, but 3 weeks afterwards, you'd need a new one again.

if you never reinstall, you won't ever need to get a new serial.

MMR
Oct 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
if for some reason you needed to re-install the app, you would have to get a new serial. if you need to reinstall it 1 week after that, you could use the same one, but 3 weeks afterwards, you'd need a new one again.

if you never reinstall, you won't ever need to get a new serial.

So whats wrong with that? It seem's reasonable to me, if anyone is reinstalling all the time then I would ask why? I think SnapzPro is the best at what it does out there period, and I have been using WireTap Studio (the Demo) and it works exellently, and just to explain, I run a recording studio I have some of the best gear out there, Thousands on AD and DA and speakers, I have loads of Audio software and STILL I find WireTap Studio to be a worthy addition, it will be very usefull.

wongulous
Oct 12, 2007, 10:47 AM
I for one won't be buying it because of the need to get a new serial with each new installation. That's ridiculous and an invasion of privacy, plus a pain in the arse to me as a consumer.

lawcomic
Oct 12, 2007, 10:48 AM
Invasion of privacy?

NoNameBrand
Oct 12, 2007, 12:52 PM
I for one won't be buying it because of the need to get a new serial with each new installation. That's ridiculous and an invasion of privacy, plus a pain in the arse to me as a consumer.

The FAQ on the website describes what information is sent to them to get a new serial number.

Here's what happens when you enter an old serial number: 1. a dialog box pops up; 2. you click a button; 3. you get a new serial number - you don't even have to type it in yourself. Anyone who's talking about DRM doesn't understand how this system works at all. It is far less trouble than Adobe's activation system.

hayesk
Oct 12, 2007, 01:56 PM

You should suggest a better way that allows them to protect themselves and doesn't get in the way.

Another thing you could do is make backups of your disk when updating OSes then you can restore without having to re-license. Wouldn't that be quicker than reinstalling all the time anyway?

hayesk
Oct 12, 2007, 02:03 PM
Wow. Paying that much for an App that does something you can do on a stinking PC for free. Why doesn't OS X have something to do this for you already?

That's stupid - you should buy the tool that you feel does the job best for you. Silly little "protests" about copy protection are ridiculous. Would you rather go to the USB dongle system? Do you believe software developers shouldn't be able to protect themselves from piracy?

If I want to record some audio from my computer, I'll load up boot camp and do it for free in Windows...

How is that going to help you record audio from a Mac application and then edit that audio in a well-thought out and productive interface?

Lara F
Oct 12, 2007, 02:57 PM
I had to reinstall WireTap Pro about a month ago on a new macbook and it took all of five seconds to get an updated serial number online. I certainly wouldn't have pegged that as a deal breaker. :confused:

Fortunately as I'm upgrading the price isn't too prohibitive, and I think the live preview function will be worth it. Looking forward to trying it out! :)

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 03:22 PM

If you enter a code that has expired, all you need to do is click on the "Renew" button in the Register application. It will automatically fetch a new license code for you, there's no need to contact us via email or go to our web site.

I do understand your concerns; we hate it too. But we've found that the massive piracy of our products (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34059) has forced our hand to an extent. We're engineers, we'd rather be working on the product than license code systems, believe me.

Please do read that article I linked to above. More than 50% of the license code renewal attempts continue to be from pirated license codes. This is not a fun position for us to be in.

Can this be used on multiple computers by the same user, or is it a single machine deal?

It's a per-person license. You can use it on more than one computer if you like, no worries! :)

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 03:28 PM
Still cheaper to get Audio Hijack Pro + Fission.

It's still slightly cheaper, yes. But again, we think WireTap Studio offers more functionality than the Audio Hijack Pro + Fission combination. Also if you own AHP or Fission, you can get a competitive upgrade to WireTap Studio for just $30.

What do we offer you that the aforementioned combo does not? We offer one integrated solution for recording, organizing, editing, and exporting your audio. We also offer the LivePreview™ feature (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/04-controller_livepr.mov) that's just just really cool, and insanely useful.

We also offer lossless master recordings that let you change the format (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/09-editor_format_cha.mov) of your recording after the fact to gain quality. If you make a mistake and record as mono, or at too low of a quality, you don't have to redo the recording.

We also let you delete audio (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/11-editor_deletion.mov) or silence audio (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/12-editor_silence.mov) or crop audio (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/08-editor_cropping.mov) in a completely non-destructive way. We think the editor is pretty compelling.

But of course, WireTap Studio is a 1.0 product; we think it's a solid, excellent 1.0 product, but we DO want to hear your suggestions, criticism, etc. to make it a better product!

So download it, give it a whirl, and let us know what you think.

Doctor Q
Oct 12, 2007, 03:47 PM
It's a per-person license. You can use it on more than one computer if you like, no worries! :)If the software is installed on one home Mac, may family members take turns using it? I say may because technically they can, but I'm asking about the license terms.

Eidorian
Oct 12, 2007, 03:50 PM
It's still slightly cheaper, yes. But again, we think WireTap Studio offers more functionality than the Audio Hijack Pro + Fission combination. Also if you own AHP or Fission, you can get a competitive upgrade to WireTap Studio for just $30.

What do we offer you that the aforementioned combo does not? We offer one integrated solution for recording, organizing, editing, and exporting your audio. We also offer the LivePreview™ feature (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/04-controller_livepr.mov) that's just just really cool, and insanely useful.

We also offer lossless master recordings that let you change the format (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/09-editor_format_cha.mov) of your recording after the fact to gain quality. If you make a mistake and record as mono, or at too low of a quality, you don't have to redo the recording.

We also let you delete audio (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/11-editor_deletion.mov) or silence audio (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/12-editor_silence.mov) or crop audio (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/08-editor_cropping.mov) in a completely non-destructive way. We think the editor is pretty compelling.

But of course, WireTap Studio is a 1.0 product; we think it's a solid, excellent 1.0 product, but we DO want to hear your suggestions, criticism, etc. to make it a better product!

So download it, give it a whirl, and let us know what you think.I did download it and try it out. The built in editor was nice but comparatively for less I can get a dedicated audio recorder and a separate editing program. Fission is non destructive as well so you hold your own against that.

Can the editor in Wire Tap Pro be used for files/recordings not made in the program itself?

Props for not needing to relaunch the application you want to record from as well.

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 04:37 PM
If the software is installed on one home Mac, may family members take turns using it? I say may because technically they can, but I'm asking about the license terms.

Yep, that's no problem. :)

I did download it and try it out. The built in editor was nice but comparatively for less I can get a dedicated audio recorder and a separate editing program. Fission is non destructive as well so you hold your own against that.

Can the editor in Wire Tap Pro be used for files/recordings not made in the program itself?

Props for not needing to relaunch the application you want to record from as well.

Yes, the editor can be used for files created outside of WireTap Studio.

And while Fission can non-destructively edit an mp3 file, it can't take a recording you've done at 96kb/s and boost it up to 192kb/s after the fact, and have it sound better, nor add, remove, and adjust AudioUnit effects in a similarly non-destructive manner even after recording. WireTap Studio can do that for files you've recording using it.

There are many other cool features I think you'll find and enjoy, such as the aforementioned LivePreview that *nothing* else can do (let alone AHP/Fission). We also do not use APE to inject code in running applications like AHP does to record audio (unless you sub-launch them from AHP). Let us know what you think! :)

Stile
Oct 12, 2007, 05:43 PM

Dude, you seriously didn't just compare this app to Sound Recorder, lol. Did you even download it and try it? If you feel that they both do the same thing then this kind of app isn't for you, but trust me, it is much more powerful than Sound Recorder.

When you buy a Mac you get Garage Band, that will record audio from an input source if you want. Yeah, it's overkill, but it will work. It'll even do the "layering" that the other user was talking about, multi-track editing I believe is what he wants. You could always get Audacity for free as well, that works quite nicely.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't want to take anything away from this app, I think it looks pretty cool and will give it a try. Just thought it was funny that someone would compare this to Sound Recorder on Windows.

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 05:50 PM
Dude, you seriously didn't just compare this app to Sound Recorder, lol. Did you even download it and try it? If you feel that they both do the same thing then this kind of app isn't for you, but trust me, it is much more powerful than Sound Recorder.

When you buy a Mac you get Garage Band, that will record audio from an input source if you want. Yeah, it's overkill, but it will work. It'll even do the "layering" that the other user was talking about, multi-track editing I believe is what he wants. You could always get Audacity for free as well, that works quite nicely.

Right -- and the major features we offer that both GarageBand and Audacity lack are the ability to record the audio output of other running applications, they record only from hardware input devices. Here's what I mean:

http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/02-controller_record.mov

If you want to record from iTunes, RealPlayer, Windows Media Player, YouTube, DVD Player, etc., then WireTap Studio is what you want (and the aforementioned programs will not work). WireTap Studio of course will also record from hardware input devices as well.

Also of course the aforementioned LivePreview, lossless master recording, non-destructive editing, etc., blah blah blah :)

bit density
Oct 12, 2007, 06:31 PM
The serial numbers expire after like 2 weeks.

This is not that unreasonable.

First, it doesn't effect most people. Most people don't go around installing their operating systems all of the time.

For most others, they reinstall, enter in the old number and name, and press a single button when prompted. It is really no more difficult a process than using a non-expiring number.

For a very small number of people, it will be more complicated.

For this, they do not run the risk of crack lists containing valid serial numbers from now until the end of time, that are easily googled. This means that they generate more money, and can keep prices lower. Each sale actually makes a difference to them.

I have had wiretap pro for about 5 years on multiple laptops that have gotten upgraded. It has been nearly a complete non-problem to get wiretap pro on my machine each time.

Personally I think that the upgrade should be 19.95 for users that had bought the program longer than say january 1st. At this point I am not really interested in the more functionality that I have, and 30 bucks is too much for such occasional use. But maybe later, or maybe just use Audacity.

But registration/serial number is quite reasonable, and recognizes the extreme piracy in this space. With nearly no cost to the user.

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 06:39 PM
Personally I think that the upgrade should be 19.95 for users that had bought the program longer than say january 1st. At this point I am not really interested in the more functionality that I have, and 30 bucks is too much for such occasional use. But maybe later, or maybe just use Audacity.

Well, if you think about it, WireTap Pro was $19. WireTap Studio retails for $69, or a price difference of $50. Giving people an upgrade path for just $30 seemed pretty reasonable to us.

This is also the first (and only) time that we've charged any kind of an upgrade fee for WireTap, and it's a completely re-written product with literally dozens of new features, a built-in editor, etc..

But registration/serial number is quite reasonable, and recognizes the extreme piracy in this space. With nearly no cost to the user.

Thank you. We tried very, very hard to balance the inconvenience to our customers.

QuarterSwede
Oct 12, 2007, 07:52 PM

First, DRM'd software!? Hahaha.

Second, WireTap Studio Pro offers two things I can think of that not even the highest end studio software does and that's:

... We also offer the LivePreview™ feature (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/04-controller_livepr.mov) that's just just really cool, and insanely useful.

which makes it completely worth the $69! Live Preview is, well, just amazing since only a few years ago you could only do that on a dedicated box and Lossless Master Recordings is one of those things the big companies are wishing they thought of. It's just a great and no brainer feature.

Moki, I love this product. Unfortunately, at the moment I have absolutely no use for it. I'm sure a lot of other people will though!

moki
Oct 13, 2007, 02:35 PM
which makes it completely worth the $69! Live Preview is, well, just amazing since only a few years ago you could only do that on a dedicated box and Lossless Master Recordings is one of those things the big companies are wishing they thought of. It's just a great and no brainer feature.

Moki, I love this product. Unfortunately, at the moment I have absolutely no use for it. I'm sure a lot of other people will though!

Thank you! And here's to hoping you find a use for WireTap Studio! :)

lawcomic
Oct 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
I may be dense. I was under the impression that WTS did something that AHP does....if you choose a source, it wouldn't record until that source produced audio.

However, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Am I just missing an option somewhere?

moki
Oct 15, 2007, 08:22 PM
I may be dense. I was under the impression that WTS did something that AHP does....if you choose a source, it wouldn't record until that source produced audio.

However, that doesn't appear to be the case.

Am I just missing an option somewhere?

Yes. you can do that. Go to Preferences->Source

Then from the Record: popup menu, choose: Auto Stop/Start

...and there you go! :)

lawcomic
Oct 15, 2007, 08:50 PM
Ah-ha! Thanks!

It speaks well of the company for you to be fielding questions, Andrew.

One last (ha!) thing....is there any visual cue that a scheduled recording is going on? I assume if I am recording a radio show on iTunes, I have to have it on and running at the time of the recording...so I have to leave it playing even when I am out, etc.

moki
Oct 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
Ah-ha! Thanks!

It speaks well of the company for you to be fielding questions, Andrew.

One last (ha!) thing....is there any visual cue that a scheduled recording is going on? I assume if I am recording a radio show on iTunes, I have to have it on and running at the time of the recording...so I have to leave it playing even when I am out, etc.

Yes, you will see an "On Air" icon flash on the session's icon in the Recording Sessions window when it is actively recording.

Unfortunately, I think you are running into a bug that slipped through the QA cycle. If you create a new session, schedule it, and then click on OK... it will not start when it should.

The fix is to open up the session, edit it, then click on OK. And it'll work from then on. It's a stupid error, and I apologize that it made it through our QA process. We'll be fixing it shortly in 1.0.1.

lawcomic
Oct 15, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'm just not getting recording based on time.

The site says you can record multiple streams..but if you want two stations off iTunes, there appears to be no way to do it, as it seems like it'll only record whatever's playing on iTunes (or whatever source you are using). So if you want two stations, both couldn't be on the same source.

And, again, there appears to be no way to set up a session to record unless you leave that source playing what you want to record.

Is this making any sense?

moki
Oct 15, 2007, 11:42 PM
I'm just not getting recording based on time.

The site says you can record multiple streams..but if you want two stations off iTunes, there appears to be no way to do it, as it seems like it'll only record whatever's playing on iTunes (or whatever source you are using). So if you want two stations, both couldn't be on the same source.

And, again, there appears to be no way to set up a session to record unless you leave that source playing what you want to record.

Is this making any sense?

Ah yes... I see what you're trying to do. You can record as many streams simultaneously as you like, but they need to be from separate applications. So you cannot record two streams from iTunes, but you could record a stream from iTunes, and a stream from, say, RealAudio Player at the same time.

HOWEVER you could just duplicate the iTunes application, and launch the original iTunes for stream #1, and the copy of iTunes for stream #2... and that should work fine.

All of the applications out there that record audio from applications, WireTap Studio included, do so on a per-application basis.

moki
Oct 19, 2007, 06:53 PM
WireTap Studio's LivePreview coulda saved 'em:

http://warmowski.wordpress.com/2007/10/05/jump-in-pitch/

So the Van Halen keyboards on "Jump" were 146.7 cents sharp 1200 * log2( 48 / 44.1 ) -- so with a little pitch shifting to compensate in WTS, here's the fixed version of the keyboards and what they *should* have sounded like:

Fixed Van Halen keyboards (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/fixed_vanhalen.m4a)

Too funny. I'm sure some sound engineer somewhere got fired over this one.

leon1984
Jun 7, 2008, 02:46 AM
I am looking to purchase this software for recording my DJ mixes. I have a few questions about the editing part. If a mix is recorded and certain beats are not perfect can bit of the audio be deleted easily?

At the moment I have been using Audacity which I have found totally unreliable, seems to crash alot which when you have done a 2 hour mix is :mad: to say the least!!! Is this program more stable??