PDA

View Full Version : Dashboard Widgets Coming to iPhone?

MacRumors
Oct 12, 2007, 04:01 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

CultofMac's Leander Kahney (http://cultofmac.com/?p=1321) claims that Apple is going to allow developers to install Mac OS X Widgets onto the iPhone.
You will soon be able to drag any Dashboard Widget into iTunes, and they’ll sync with the iPhone, the source said.
As Dashboard Widgets are already Javascript/HTML elements, support on the iPhone already exists. But providing an easy installation and the ability to run outside of Safari would be welcome additions to the iPhone.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/12/dashboard-widgets-coming-to-iphone/)

tobefirst
Oct 12, 2007, 04:06 PM
Now this could be kind of cool. I'd love to have my dopplar radar widget, dictionary/thesaurus, and a sports scores widget, along with all kinds of games.

Fuchal
Oct 12, 2007, 04:06 PM
This would be great. It is all I really need on my phone.

Mac-Addict
Oct 12, 2007, 04:10 PM
iPod Touch support?

Telp
Oct 12, 2007, 04:11 PM
Kick ass! I bet this comes with leopard. I CANT WAIT!!!

FreeState
Oct 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
Kick ass! I bet this comes with leopard. I CANT WAIT!!!

I think so too... after all Safari 3 allows for the user to create widgets from a web-page on the fly:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/safari.html

"Clip it.
Now you can turn any website into a Dashboard widget. Click the Web Clip button next to the address field in Safari and select exactly what you want your new widget to display. Safari sends your web clip to Dashboard, where you can view it alongside your other widgets."

plumbingandtech
Oct 12, 2007, 04:15 PM
Dictionary and Thesuarus and the Simpsons Quote Widget!

neat!

(yah I get amused easily.)

honeytoast
Oct 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
This is one of the reasons i think dashcode was created. Imagine when they announce this and all of the thousands of widgets that are already out there simply copy right over during sync. They can't make this a Leopard only feature though, with all the windows iPhone users. I am a mac user but my iPhone is synced to my windows pc due to my imac not having usb 2.0 (i know i need to upgrade).

craigverse
Oct 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yes, yes, yes!!! *herbal essences style*

neven
Oct 12, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'm also almost sure that Dashboard Widgets will be the eventual solution to 3rd party apps. The names will also be nicely differentiated: web apps vs. widgets.

But this part of the original article betrays a serious misunderstanding of technology:

"To run on the iPhone and provide interactivity, they’ll require JavaScript, which means the iPhone will shortly get a Java update. When? The source didn’t say.

But the source did say that Apple hasn’t released iPhone widgets yet because Java has proven to be a major draw on battery power. "

Repeat after me: Java has nothing to do with JavaScript. Nothing. Zilch. Nada. They're about as related as HTML and DirectX.

There is no need to install a JVM on iPhone to get Widgets to run. Apple is done with Java.

P.S. I see the blog is filled with comments saying the same... still, it can't seem to be said enough times...!

Mr. Zorg
Oct 12, 2007, 04:27 PM
True that. But I'd still LOVE to be able to run MIDP/CDLC applets on the iPhone. That'd be sweet.

EDIT: Oh, and flash... So we can get all those nifty PopCap games. :)

iJawn108
Oct 12, 2007, 04:28 PM
Ohhh if that's the case I will def pick up leopard.:D

bdj21ya
Oct 12, 2007, 04:31 PM
This would be awesome. One of my biggest complaints about the idea of developping apps in Safari is the obnoxiousness of not being able to get rid of that #@&% navigation bar. Space is tight enough without the bar.

nagromme
Oct 12, 2007, 04:40 PM
Just be sure to allow non-Internet ones to be installed and NOT require any download. And watch the games and apps multiply :)

Telp
Oct 12, 2007, 04:43 PM
This is one of the reasons i think dashcode was created. Imagine when they announce this and all of the thousands of widgets that are already out there simply copy right over during sync. They can't make this a Leopard only feature though, with all the windows iPhone users. I am a mac user but my iPhone is synced to my windows pc due to my imac not having usb 2.0 (i know i need to upgrade).

Well widgets are an OSX thing arent they?

plumbingandtech
Oct 12, 2007, 04:45 PM
Just be sure to allow non-Internet ones to be installed and NOT require any download. And watch the games and apps multiply :)

And add the rumored off line data storage addition to safari....

A pretty good solution... (not native but until we do have an SDK)

alywa
Oct 12, 2007, 05:14 PM
This is exactly what I've been hoping to do. Add in Leopard's "Widget Builder", and I could easily make my own.

I really, really, really want a sports score widget (customizable for my teams / sports)... this should be easy to do.

Come on Apple! Make it happen!

zombitronic
Oct 12, 2007, 06:17 PM
Yes! Yes! This is what I have been posting all along!

The way I see it, Apple wants these WebApps to eventually be Widgets (http://developer.apple.com/macosx/dashboard.html) for the iPhone.

Dashboard Widgets are created using a mix of HTML, JavaScript, and CSS.

Most apps on the phone seem like Widgets to me, especially Weather, Stocks, and Calculator. That makes me think that the iPhone has something similar to the Dashboard server. It probably does, with the claims of it running a true version of OS X. If these WebApps could be developed according to Widget instance standards, I think we'd have the right kind of secure apps that Apple is hoping for. It would be nice to hear this conformation from Apple, though.

I find it funny that people are already dismissing the possibilities of this less-than-four-month-old phone, based on them not completely opening it up. Hopefully apps will make their way to the phone in the form of Widgets, and hopefully we'll see some kind of a home button in a future iPhone update, maybe even a browser/installer to access these.

Maybe this will silence some of those WebApp haters.

iVoid
Oct 12, 2007, 06:17 PM
This is a better solution than webapps, but not as good as real apps.

Windows users should be able to install these with iTunes without problems. No reason they have to actually run on the client computer to be installed to the iPhone.

zombitronic
Oct 12, 2007, 06:25 PM
This is a better solution than webapps, but not as good as real apps.

Windows users should be able to install these with iTunes without problems. No reason they have to actually run on the client computer to be installed to the iPhone.

Exactly. They wouldn't have to be able to run on the client computer to run on the iPhone. You can download a Widget (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/) without installing it on your computer. Just like you can download a Widget onto a Windows box and install it on a Mac over a network. Although, that would seem a bit redundant...

ghall
Oct 12, 2007, 07:04 PM
That is an awesome idea! Still not a real SDK, but we're getting there.

megfilmworks
Oct 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
Now we're talking. Widgets are great mini apps and if I can use the ones I already like, then I will be very happy!! Goodbye to the pretenders.

TheSpaz
Oct 12, 2007, 07:13 PM
Wow! Widgets on the iPhone/iPod touch sound really cool! There's already thousands of widgets and it would kick butt to see them on the iPod touch!

FreeState
Oct 12, 2007, 07:16 PM
They wouldn't have to be able to run on the client computer to run on the iPhone.

But with Safari for Windows coming out around the same time as Leopard Apple could make them run in Safari so that Windows users could test them out without putting them on their phones first. (Just a guess) And possibly do a widget clipping with the PC Safari too...

yoman
Oct 12, 2007, 07:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I truly hope this is true. The amount of widgets out there are substantial. It would help us all during the transition period to native apps.

chelsel
Oct 12, 2007, 09:33 PM
I hope you can run iStat :-) that's the most useful widget of all.

DotComCTO
Oct 12, 2007, 09:33 PM
...and the Dashcode coming with the Leopard XCode dev tools is very cool. It should make developing widgets easier for the masses. This would be a great approach for Apple to take. It still isn't as good as a full SDK, but it's a great start. I hope it's true!!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

GTiPhone
Oct 12, 2007, 10:56 PM
Wow this could really be fantastic. Creating your own widgets with webclip and then syncing to iPhone!? Horray for great ideas.

FreeState
Oct 12, 2007, 10:57 PM
Apples download page, http://www.apple.com/downloads/, always had a link to "Dashboard Widgets" however right before the iPhone launch the wording on the links was changed to "Widgets" dropping "Dashboard" - while the page to download the widgets still references them as "Dashboard Widgets" as do promotional banners for developers etc the download home page does not.

Interesting....

justflie
Oct 13, 2007, 12:40 AM
What if the new dashboard will include/be the SDK for the iPhone?

aswitcher
Oct 13, 2007, 01:05 AM
iPod Touch support?

Agreed, they need to align these not keep separating them.

pmade
Oct 13, 2007, 10:16 AM
Let's not forget that you are allowed to use Objective-C in Dashboard Widgets. This either means that such widgets won't work on the iPhone or a new version of Xcode will be coming out that includes cross compiling to the iPhone.

I think this might put a kink in the idea of widgets on the iPhone.

Manj27
Oct 13, 2007, 10:22 AM
^ a new version of Xcode (version 3.0) is shipping along with Leopard. This will also use Objective-C 2.0. So there is hope still possibly. I truely belive allowing full OS X desktop class widgets to work with iPhone would satisfy most people and make thier iphone user experience that much better. Further clue to a Widget app drop could be two points:

(i) i remember when the iphone filesystem was cracked in the first firmware, they noted reference to widget.apple.com or something to that effect

(ii) the recent 1.1.1 update has changed the calcualtor calender icon. This could be due to similarities the old icon may have had with the standard widgets icon in OS X (assuming of course this would be the same one to be used on iphone if ported over).

winterspan
Oct 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
As I haven't purchased a new mac yet (had a G4 a long time ago...) and am still running a Dell laptop, I don't know the details of the architecture of widgets.
They are similar to Yahoos / Vista "widgets", i.e., Javascript/html right?
On OSX, is there like a WebKit-based app layer that runs these widgets?
Someone above said Obj-C can be used also? Whether or not that'll translate over to the iphone, can all of these widgets be used without connecting to the net? I obviously know they won't be updated until connected, but where are they stored, e.g. in a 'cache' somewhere?

FreeState
Oct 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
As I haven't purchased a new mac yet (had a G4 a long time ago...) and am still running a Dell laptop, I don't know the details of the architecture of widgets.
They are similar to Yahoos / Vista "widgets", i.e., Javascript/html right?
On OSX, is there like a WebKit-based app layer that runs these widgets?
Someone above said Obj-C can be used also? Whether or not that'll translate over to the iphone, can all of these widgets be used without connecting to the net? I obviously know they won't be updated until connected, but where are they stored, e.g. in a 'cache' somewhere?

Here is Apples promo site for Dashboard: http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/dashboard/

Yahoo and Vista Widgets are basically the same thing only they can not be run on a Mac, they use slightly different coding.

They run in Dashboard (check out the link above)

They are stored on a Mac as a self contained folder, the same way Apps are (an application is saved in a folder with the extension of .app, which makes the folder into a clickable icon, same with a widget only different extension and it opens the file in Dashboard instead of running an application). The code in them will call out to the net or the computer depending on what info they need - the address book widget uses the computers Address Book database file for example.

The object-c would have to be re-compiled to run on the phones processor (unless apple uses a striped down version of Rosetta - http://www.apple.com/rosetta/ - that can run on the phone...).

MBX
Oct 13, 2007, 07:16 PM
the only problem with this i have is that the current os-x widgets aren't iphone formatted.

look at the stocks & weather widget on the iphone, they're both iphone formatted, vertical layout.

now look at how many widgets are not in this iphone layout, pretty much any of them. sure many of them would work in horizontal mode...

...but it's still better to have them in a iphone version, that works in the screen resolution and format/ layout.

what do you think?

psychofreak
Oct 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
the only problem with this i have is that the current os-x widgets aren't iphone formatted.

look at the stocks & weather widget on the iphone, they're both iphone formatted, vertical layout.

now look at how many widgets are not in this iphone layout, pretty much any of them. sure many of them would work in horizontal mode...

...but it's still better to have them in a iphone version, that works in the screen resolution and format/ layout.

what do you think?

Thats what is being suggested, not just directly moving OSX Dashboard widgets to the iPhone, but a similar system :)

MBX
Oct 13, 2007, 07:21 PM
also in that regard.

i really don't understand why the stock & weather widget on the iphone come from yahoo. they're identical to the os-x widgets, yet there's the yahoo icon on the bottom.

what led apple to do this? why couldn't they simply adjusted the apple own os-x widget versions for the iphone?

psychofreak
Oct 13, 2007, 07:22 PM
also in that regard.

i really don't understand why the stock & weather widget on the iphone come from yahoo. they're identical to the os-x widgets, yet there's the yahoo icon on the bottom.

what led apple to do this? why couldn't they simply adjusted the apple own os-x widget versions for the iphone?

Yahoo! needs to get something back from the deal for free push-email...

THE JUICEMAN
Oct 13, 2007, 11:15 PM

what do you think?

so lets say Apple decides to let us rotate the device while on the home screen, and then a screen full of these widgets show up! :rolleyes:......... hey i can wish. no need to bash :D

Stella
Oct 14, 2007, 12:58 AM
Some of us have been enjoying widgets on cell phones for over 12 months... Apple are so late to the party!!!

whit1009
Oct 14, 2007, 09:06 AM
:D I've been waiting for widgets to be on the iPhone ever since i bought my phone!!!!!! yay!!!! this is awesome:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Can't wait!!:D

psychofreak
Oct 14, 2007, 09:32 AM
:D I've been waiting for widgets to be on the iPhone ever since i bought my phone!!!!!! yay!!!! this is awesome:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Can't wait!!:D

Nothing is awesome yet, its not like Apple has said widgets are coming...

Bosunsfate
Oct 14, 2007, 07:19 PM
My main question is how would you expect to access them from the iPhone UI? Right now there is only space for three more icons.

If I had a guess there are two things Apple is trying to figure about before releasing this.

The first is the core access side of things. Not syncronization, that's easy.

The second is below. How do you get the formatting right. Users will be annoyed othwerise.

what do you think?

beeeen
Oct 14, 2007, 11:57 PM
Only for Leopard? I probably won't upgrade until I buy another computer, I like my os x tiger right now :)

timmmmyboy
Oct 15, 2007, 11:31 AM
The ability to install widgets might open up the possibility of listening to streaming radio on the iPhone via something like this widget (http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/radio_podcasts/wrwworldradiowidget.html).

CameronT
Oct 25, 2007, 08:20 AM
also in that regard.

The widgets don't come from yahoo - it's the data that comes from yahoo.

The stock quotes and weather data have to come from somewhere. I wish they would include a way to log in to yahoo - that way I could get my quotes real time (I subscribe to yahoo's real time quotes service).