PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to do with an old Powerbook.

chepistolas
Oct 16, 2007, 07:44 AM
I am about to buy a new MBP 15" to replace my old 1.33 17" Powerbook that I am currently using, but I don't know what to do with the Powerbook. I am getting a new one because I don't like taking my 17" everywhere, and I need to test my websites under windows and linux.

It can sit at home connected to the powercord, but what uses can it offer besides the basic things a dedicated server can do?! (which I have) I don't have an hdtv and it has a small 80Gb HD. I doubt I can get serious money for it, so selling it is out of the question. I want to keep it in house, so unless I give it to a close family member, giving it away is out of the question.

Im curious to know what you guys have done with your old Powerbooks.

PCRanger
Oct 16, 2007, 07:46 AM
Put it in the kitchen. Check your email and read Macrumors whilst eating breakfast! :o

mkrishnan
Oct 16, 2007, 07:53 AM
Make a WiFi picture frame? :eek: :o

I've actually always wanted to do that....

amemoryoncelost
Oct 16, 2007, 11:58 AM
What do you call serious money. 17" models will pull almost $1000. I've been scouring ads for powerbooks for the past few weeks and while the 1.33 isn't worth quite as much, the fact that it's a 17" bumps it up to at least 800 I would think, depending on the other parts of the computer.

Stampyhead
Oct 16, 2007, 12:26 PM
...give it to a close family member

That's what I always do with my old computers. There's always a family member or a friend who could use it. I'm fixing up an old Pismo Powerbook to give to my niece right now.

WildPalms
Oct 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
Macbreak Tech did a spot on this very subject. They came up with around 15 different uses for an old Mac. Grab their podcast for more info. I believe it was around 3 weeks ago.

Finlandboy
Oct 16, 2007, 08:43 PM
personally i would use it to experiment with different flavors of linux, but thats just me

but search google there are probably a few things you could find about it

if all else fails, give it away or sell it (you could probably make a decent amount of money off of it, depending on its condition)

ktbubster
Oct 16, 2007, 10:32 PM
as someone already said... i am not sure what you call serious money, but ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Powerbook-G4-17-inch_W0QQitemZ290170576847QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14909QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

same model, 3 DAYS left and a bid at 500. I've seen those goes for over 1k depending on the condition. I dunno about you, but I call anything over 500 pretty serious cash, ESPECIALLY when a new mbp just entered the picture and took a nice chunck of change out of your wallet.

If not... I vote for the modding and hanging it on your wall as a 17inch wireless picture frame/music player hehe.