PDA

View Full Version : iToner 1.0.3 with iPhone 1.1.1 Support

MacRumors
Oct 17, 2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Ambrosia has released iToner 1.0.3 (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/) today, which supports the iPhone 1.1.1 revision.

iToner allows you to transfer MP3 or AAC files to your iPhone for use as custom ringtones. Unlike Apple's solution, this lets you use your songs without an additional per-song charge.

Apple's last iPhone 1.1.1 update broke compatibility with previous versions of iToner, but the 1.0.3 update fixes this incompatibility. iToner sells for $15.00, with a fully functional trial available.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/17/itoner-1-0-3-with-iphone-1-1-1-support/)

CWallace
Oct 17, 2007, 04:44 PM
Well done!

pintofguinness
Oct 17, 2007, 04:47 PM
It works perfect!

Thanks to Ambrosia

thesheep
Oct 17, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'm a bit new to this.

Do I need to jail break my iPhone before I can install this, or does it just work?

Oh I see, it says 'no hacks'. So this should be completely safe for my iPhone when I install any future Apple firmware, right?

psychofreak
Oct 17, 2007, 04:54 PM
I'm a bit new to this.

Do I need to jail break my iPhone before I can install this, or does it just work?

No jailbreaking needed, it is a completely user friendly app :)

MacUser4_20
Oct 17, 2007, 05:03 PM
Andrew,

Thank you! You guys Rock!

eswank
Oct 17, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm trying out the trial version. According to the post it says that it is a fully functional trial version. I've downloaded the trial version and I've synced the .mp3 files I want to make into a ringtone, but when it is done syncing, the song is on the list for 'Sounds' but it doesn't play anything. Am I doing something wrong here?

chrissurra
Oct 17, 2007, 05:39 PM
I'm trying out the trial version. According to the post it says that it is a fully functional trial version. I've downloaded the trial version and I've synced the .mp3 files I want to make into a ringtone, but when it is done syncing, the song is on the list for 'Sounds' but it doesn't play anything. Am I doing something wrong here?

I am having the same problem is the trial actually functional or just a proof of concept?

daneoni
Oct 17, 2007, 05:47 PM

I am having the same problem is the trial actually functional or just a proof of concept?

Try importing to iTunes and playing the tracks first, then drag from iTunes straight to iToner. Also try quitting and restarting the app

jpturner
Oct 17, 2007, 06:02 PM
Need a Vista (PC Version). Since my 1.1.1 Phone has SSH access would someone please "encode" the CTU ringtone for me and email it to me at jpturner@gmail.com - I assume I could then just drop it in the ringtones folder and it might work?

Thanks

chr1s60
Oct 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
So happy this is back. So far it works great!

sblasl
Oct 17, 2007, 06:24 PM
Any chance of a Promo Code for us folks here at MacRumors?;)

projectle
Oct 17, 2007, 06:24 PM
jpturner: A Vista version?!?!?
HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!

Oh, stop it! You are too funny!

FreeState
Oct 17, 2007, 07:06 PM
So this should be completely safe for my iPhone when I install any future Apple firmware, right?

No one knows for sure but Apple. The 1.1.1 update made me restore, loosing some data on both phones despite backing up, on two phones - both had used iToner with no other "hacks" at all.

padmasana
Oct 17, 2007, 07:10 PM
This worked great. I had kept my phone at 1.0.2 until iToner was updated and the entire upgrade to 1.1.1 was smooth as silk. iToner remembered my ringtone selections and in one click put them back onto the updated iPhone.

Any chance of a Promo Code for us folks here at MacRumors?;)

But I just paid for iToner. Don't make me whine for a rebate! :)

Angelo921
Oct 17, 2007, 07:10 PM
Will Ambrosia ever make an Itoner that will work with Windows? Anyone know?

ProMod
Oct 17, 2007, 07:19 PM
I'm also having the problem where everything seems to work fine, but no sound is played when I select the custom ringtone or when I receive a call. Any more ideas?

LimeiBook86
Oct 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
Fantastic!! :D This works flawlessly! Great job. :)

RyanC
Oct 17, 2007, 07:32 PM
Try syncing more than one song. I was having difficulties too, but figured out that if I sync'd three songs, the second and third work fine - but the first still is silent. Seems buggy but works nonetheless. Good luck!

RyanC

EricBrian
Oct 17, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I just bought the app... Worked great. Thanks for the dedication and commitment. :)

tbobmccoy
Oct 17, 2007, 07:59 PM
with apple's announcement of adding 3rd party functionality for the iPhone, I really really hope they don't break iToner again. I love this software! Thanks Ambrosia! :D

Laslo Panaflex
Oct 17, 2007, 08:07 PM
Try syncing more than one song. I was having difficulties too, but figured out that if I sync'd three songs, the second and third work fine - but the first still is silent. Seems buggy but works nonetheless. Good luck!

RyanC

Worked for me. Seems pretty silly that this issue of only syncing one song wasn't caught in testing.

onoble
Oct 17, 2007, 08:28 PM
Anyway to set the songs so when the phone "rings" it plays a certain part of the song.

For example say you want the chorus instead of the begining, how can you do that with itoner?

justcallmepete
Oct 17, 2007, 08:39 PM
Anyway to set the songs so when the phone "rings" it plays a certain part of the song.

For example say you want the chorus instead of the begining, how can you do that with itoner?

crop it in garage band

genshi
Oct 17, 2007, 08:44 PM
I uploaded 4 ringtones at a time and they synced ok, but none of them played on the iPhone. But once I deleted them (from the trial version of the iToner app and the iPhone) and put them on again, they synced AND played. Not sure why. But all working now.

ARH1956
Oct 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
Works perfectly for me with 1, or 10 ringtones. I'm using the same ringtones I was using with iToner and iPhone Version 1.02.

lcdbot27
Oct 17, 2007, 09:30 PM
Does iToner allow you to set custom sounds for text messages, or is it just ringtones?

chr1s60
Oct 17, 2007, 09:47 PM

Highly doubt it. It says specifically on their site that iToner is not for windows and all their products I have seen are only for Mac.

JonHimself
Oct 17, 2007, 09:50 PM
Does iToner allow you to set custom sounds for text messages, or is it just ringtones?

I think this is done on the iPhone end? Not sure...

boss1
Oct 17, 2007, 09:54 PM

Will Angelo921 ever leave the dark side (windows) and get a mac where all the good stuff is? :rolleyes:

lcdbot27
Oct 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think this is done on the iPhone end? Not sure...

Well since 1.1.1, there's choose able sounds from text messages, but they seem to be a different set of sounds than the standard ringtone list, which is why I was wondering.

ARH1956
Oct 17, 2007, 10:17 PM
Does iToner allow you to set custom sounds for text messages, or is it just ringtones?Custom Ringtones only with iToner.

boss1
Oct 17, 2007, 10:17 PM
Well since 1.1.1, there's choose able sounds from text messages, but they seem to be a different set of sounds than the standard ringtone list, which is why I was wondering.

iToner simply deals with ringtones . It serves that purpose only and does it well. Other pieces of software ::: pre 1.1.1::: have been fairly good at replacing other system sounds on the iPhone such as the "slide to unlock" sound etc. but not iToner.

sWaltuo
Oct 17, 2007, 10:19 PM
Absolutely Awesome Job Ambrosia!! You guys are great ..

Thanks for a great app ..

psychofreak
Oct 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
Absolutely Awesome Job Ambrosia!! You guys are great ..

Thanks for a great app ..
I don't have an iPhone, but this definitely encourages me to purchase Ambrosia products...

tooshaggy
Oct 17, 2007, 10:21 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!
Happy days are here again... ba ba ba ba da ding da ding!!!!:D

tethead
Oct 17, 2007, 10:37 PM
thanks ambrosia - paying my $15 gladly tonight! great work!!

TPALTony
Oct 17, 2007, 10:41 PM
Works perfectly for me with 1, or 10 ringtones. I'm using the same ringtones I was using with iToner and iPhone Version 1.02.

I'm having the "syncs but won't play" issue.

I've tried syncing one, file, multiple files etc. I have 3 ringtones that all worked fine under 1.0.2 / iToner 1.02. Now, one of them works perfectly and the other two will sync but refuse to play.

The one I use for my girlfriend is the only one that works. Spooky!

be well

t

djkirsten
Oct 17, 2007, 10:47 PM
did anyone else's e-mails all come up as unread after using the trial?

not a huge deal but kinda annoying.

benspratling
Oct 17, 2007, 11:25 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!
Happy days are here again... ba ba ba ba da ding da ding!!!!:D

Ditto!

machd
Oct 18, 2007, 12:25 AM
did a few tests (posted on ambrosia's board). if the file is mp3, convert it to aac and it should work. if it's aac, convert it to mp3 and it should work.

Capt Underpants
Oct 18, 2007, 12:57 AM
For what it's worth, I am also having an issue where the ringtone is transferred, but is completely silent when played. When I converted the MP3's to AAC, though, they worked. I'm on a PPC mac if that makes any difference,

~J~
Oct 18, 2007, 01:14 AM
im having the same issue... im sure Ambrosia will have a fix and/or update for us soon.

eswank
Oct 18, 2007, 01:21 AM
After reading the comments left after my first one in this thread, I did was some people suggested.

-1 - Drag-n-drop the song into GarageBand.
-2 - Find the part of the song you want as your ringtone then edit it (cut, past, delete, whatever you have to do to get the piece you want)
-3 - After editing wanted piece, click Share at the top and choose 'Send Song to iTunes'.
-4 - Find song in iTunes, convert the song (if AAC -> MP3, if MP3 -> AAC).
-5 - After conversion, drag-n-drop into iToner, Sync and enjoy your new ringtone.

Hope this helps.

212rikanmofo
Oct 18, 2007, 01:34 AM
works great for me in 1.1.1, will all my ringtones be there if i were to perform a restore or update in the future when apple releases new firmware for the phone?

siurpeeman
Oct 18, 2007, 01:37 AM
For what it's worth, I am also having an issue where the ringtone is transferred, but is completely silent when played. When I converted the MP3's to AAC, though, they worked. I'm on a PPC mac if that makes any difference,

one of my ringtones had this same issue. i removed it and put it back, and it worked fine. :)

TwoSyllables
Oct 18, 2007, 02:09 AM
I didn't see anyone post this before, but make sure those of you recycling your ringtones from 1.0.2 rename them to .m4a to .m4r. The latter doesn't work for me.

boss1
Oct 18, 2007, 02:23 AM
I haven't experienced the issue. But could the "some files not recognized unless converted again" issue be due simply to the Mac files or creator type or other misc Finder data attached to each audio file?

on the iPhone end, it is probably only recognizing audio files with certain file attributes and has very little to do with the audio encoding of the file itself?

~J~
Oct 18, 2007, 02:27 AM
one of my ringtones had this same issue. i removed it and put it back, and it worked fine. :)

tried that several times... nothing. even went and redownloaded and reinstalled itoner... still nothing...

tWoSour
Oct 18, 2007, 03:17 AM
even though 1.1.1 lets you choose for SMS, you can't use custom ringtones for SMS?

boss1
Oct 18, 2007, 03:37 AM
I haven't experienced the issue. But could the "some files not recognized unless converted again" issue be due simply to the Mac files or creator type or other misc Finder data attached to each audio file?

on the iPhone end, it is probably only recognizing audio files with certain file attributes and has very little to do with the audio encoding of the file itself?

I just tried what i thought might be the issue and it turns out its not. I removed all finder data etc from the audio file and it still didn't sync.

Removing the ringtone and putting it back did not work
Converting the ringtone from AAC to MP3 or vice versus did not work

What did work was simply quitting iTunes and iToner and relaunching. So I'm thinking it might have something to do with data or directory that iTunes writes to disk at intervals or upon quitting or launch?

jonny
Oct 18, 2007, 07:15 AM
Apple's last iPhone 1.1.1 update broke compatibility with previous versions of iToner, but the 1.0.3 update fixes this incompatibility. iToner sells for $15.00, with a fully functional trial available.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't Ericas "sendsong" app still work with 1.1.1? And if so why would anyone be daft enough to spend $15 dollars on this app when they can "Sendsong" any song on their iphone to their ringtones folder? Likewise for 1.0.2 users...

daneoni
Oct 18, 2007, 07:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. But doesn't Ericas "sendsong" app still work with 1.1.1? And if so why would anyone be daft enough to spend $15 dollars on this app when they can "Sendsong" any song on their iphone to their ringtones folder? Likewise for 1.0.2 users...

It doesnt work, the app runs normally but the ringtones dont actually make into the ringtone list. So in effect it doesn't work

denkaye
Oct 18, 2007, 08:41 AM
This post was moved to correct section.

jonny
Oct 18, 2007, 08:43 AM
It doesnt work, the app runs normally but the ringtones dont actually make into the ringtone list. So in effect it doesn't work
Thanks for the correction.

ok. So you're only daft if you paid for it when you were running 1.0.2 :D

~J~
Oct 18, 2007, 11:17 AM
I just tried what i thought might be the issue and it turns out its not. I removed all finder data etc from the audio file and it still didn't sync.

Removing the ringtone and putting it back did not work
Converting the ringtone from AAC to MP3 or vice versus did not work

What did work was simply quitting iTunes and iToner and relaunching. So I'm thinking it might have something to do with data or directory that iTunes writes to disk at intervals or upon quitting or launch?

I had the same prob, but I think I just solved it...

I had 2 songs that wouldnt work, they would sync, but only one would play. Both files had the extension .m4p - they werent the only songs I wanted to use with an .m4p extension... but the only ones causing me problems. Just for kicks and giggles, I changed (manually, thru finder) the extensions to .m4a - now they both work! Dunno why... but I'm not complaining! Hope that helps anyone else having an issue with this.

DotComCTO
Oct 18, 2007, 12:17 PM
Works great for me, Andrew. I tried the trial version this morning, moved 3 ringtones onto my iPhone (they were AAC format and in my iTunes library). Worked perfectly the first time through!

I came into the office and plunked down my $15 immediately. I never cared for custom ringtones, but I really missed them once I had them (and I just use tones - not songs). Thanks a million!

:cool:

--DotComCTO

Daremo
Oct 18, 2007, 01:31 PM

There is no jailbreaking needed to use iToner, so it's perfect for those who don't wish to hack their phone and install apps. Nothing daft at all, quite the opposite really!

jonny
Oct 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
There is no jailbreaking needed to use iToner, so it's perfect for those who don't wish to hack their phone and install apps. Nothing daft at all, quite the opposite really!

nuh uh.

moki
Oct 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
Folks,

We have identified and fixed a bug in iToner 1.0.3 that could cause some ringtones to not play in rare instances on your iPhone. Expect an update very soon.

The update will be free to all registered iToner users, as all of our updates have been.

daneoni
Oct 20, 2007, 02:51 AM
Well this isn't good. First iToner deletes the tones on my phone and when i attempt to put them back i get the "listed but won't play" issue. I have tried everything suggested on this board to no avail and have simply given up. Deleted the app from my mac and gone back to good ole marimba

moki
Oct 20, 2007, 03:06 AM
Well this isn't good. First iToner deletes the tones on my phone and when i attempt to put them back i get the "listed but won't play" issue. I have tried everything suggested on this board to no avail and have simply given up. Deleted the app from my mac and gone back to good ole marimba

While I don't understand how iToner could delete any ringtones from your phone, I would suggest that you download iToner 1.0.4. I believe it will fix the "non-playing ringtone" issue for you.

Hopstretch
Oct 20, 2007, 05:59 PM
Works great for me. Thanks again, Ambrosia, for sticking with it and doing right by your early adopters. Unlike some other folks I could mention. ;)