Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I'll be a buying a 1.8 G5 and I'm trying to save as much money as possible. The thing is, I don't need the 160GB HD and I'm wondering if there is anyway/anywhere I can get it with a 80 or even 40GB HD. I'm also trying to get one with no RAM installed so that I can buy from Crucial and save a few more dollars.

Anyone ever contacted Apple about this or know if this is possible at all?

I know that I could go with the 1.6 G5 and get the 80GB HD and less RAM but I want the future expandability and faster bus and all that :)

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
You have to get some RAM, they won't ship it to you without it.

Try talking to the guys at generalcybernetics.com - b2tm used to work there and they usually have great deals.

D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Most likely NO, since any other company would end up having to buy a standard PowerMac and gut it. But people most likely wouldn't want to pay Apple prices for memory, HDs, video -- so the savings wouldn't be too much.

I think there's a thread on this at ....

Better G5 customization places?

There's alway selling the stuff on eBay...

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
Actually I forgot to mention that I wanted to buy from Apple since I'll be using the ADC discount. I shouldn't have asked where else to buy, my fault.

onlydroops

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
I think you're right Sun Baked.

And selling on eBay is a great idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that since I sell on eBay regularly.

It may not even be worth the trouble and it might be nice to have that storage space anyway.

I can get a 1.8 G5, Combo drive, ati 9600, for about $2300 WITH the 17" display using the ADC discount.

Still a damn good price.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
You could also save some money by getting a non-Apple display... There's some nice 17" TFTs out there, and I am not at all convinced that the Cinema Display is the best of them. But it has one of the highest prices... Also, if you have a PC it is nice to have a TFT that has DVI+VGA or 2xDVI so you can share the display between the two computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.