PDA

View Full Version : Can u Help, is iBook battery DEAD?

altaprod
Oct 18, 2007, 11:39 PM
Can someone look at the information I've attached and extrapolate if this means my battery is "close to" DEAD?

Slowly over the last 3 months my computer shows a 100% charge and when I uplug the adapter it gets to about 90% (within 3-4 minutes) and then shuts down without a warning. :eek:

Thanks. I don't have the knowledge to understand the terms "cycles" and "voltage counts", etc.. :o

WildCowboy
Oct 18, 2007, 11:41 PM
Have you been calibrating (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh1959.html) your battery regularly? If not, give it a shot and see if that gives you better info from the battery.

But it looks like it's dead...cycles are getting up there. Time to invest in a new one.

mrkramer
Oct 18, 2007, 11:47 PM
That battery looks about dead to me. It is time to buy a new battery unless you were planning to upgrade your computer soon I'm which case it is probably better to upgrade than to spend the money on a brand new battery.

altaprod
Oct 18, 2007, 11:53 PM
WildCowboy, Thanks for the fast response.:)

I'm afraid you're right because I have calibrated in the past 3 months, although not out of competence but just as a result of using the computer and it "shutting down."

The only difference being that I didn't get a "low-battery warning dialog on the screen" as stated from Apple's website that you kindly linked to in your response.

So probably time for a new battery.

Thanks again :)

mrkramer,
Now why did you have to go and give me an excuse to buy a new computer? The temptation is already strong. :D

mrkramer
Oct 19, 2007, 09:12 AM
before you do replace it check here (https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/) to make sure that you do not qualify for the exchange program. I had forgotten that it includes some 15" powerbooks, and your symptoms sound very similar to the ones that I had right before I got my battery replaced by Apple.

Edit: nevermind, I looked at Wild Cowboys signature and saw jis 15" powerbook and accidentally thought I was looking at yours. but if your iBook is a 12" then it may qualify.

cooknwitha
Oct 19, 2007, 09:22 AM
CoconutBattery?! I had no idea that such an app was available. How very cool! I'm showing 54%. Good thing my Powerbook's getting replaced soon.