PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch thinks it's an iPhone

newappleboy
Oct 19, 2007, 09:06 AM
Just a funny story I thought I'd share, and wanted to see if anyone else had noticed this or can replicate it.

I went to a local electronics store yesterday to play with the Macs and iPods, and noticed a shiny new iPod touch just waiting for me to get my fingerprints all over it. I went to pick it up and it asked me to "slide to unlock". No big deal, right? Well, after I did that a number pad popped up and it asked me to enter a 4 digit PIN to unlock it. Apparently someone had decided to maliciously lock the iPod touch so nobody else can use it, so good luck to the electronics store taking that off.

ANYWAYS, the point of this rambling is that after trying to randomly guess the 4 digit PIN a few times the number pad disappeared and it displayed this error message: "This iPhone is now locked. Please try again in 1 minute." Umm...last I checked it was an iPod touch. Had 16GB on the back.

Is it normal for Apple's new products to have such an identity crisis? :p If anyone out there has a touch, have you ever seen this before? If not, try enabling the password and then inputting the wrong one a few times in a row to see if it gives you the same iPhone error. Don't worry - it'll only keep you from getting in for a minute then you can put the correct PIN in and unlock it.

Just thought that was funny. Looking forward to seeing if anyone else can replicate. Thanks!

RumMunkey
Oct 19, 2007, 10:10 AM
Welcome to last month...

I tease. We already know, it's been talked about here a lot. The software was all just ported from the iPhone and a few things like this got missed.

I think there might be a few references to the iPhone's OS in the manual too.

newappleboy
Oct 19, 2007, 10:44 AM
Whoops. My bad I guess. lol I never really spent much time in the iPod section of the forums here since I'm still trying to keep my first generation shuffle alive for as long as possible. Holding out hope for family to get me gift cards for x-mas so I can maybe get a touch or classic. Kinda sucks having a 19,000 song library and an iPod that holds about 250 of those. :(

RumMunkey
Oct 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
I know. I have a 90 GB library easy, and just downgraded from the 30 Gb 5g to the 16Gb touch.

It's going better than I thought though.

robPOD
Oct 19, 2007, 11:16 PM
It's just a glitch

iToaster
Oct 20, 2007, 12:37 PM
I could see the "iPhone" part as a glitch, however, most iPods have screen locks, I believe.

dogtanian
Oct 20, 2007, 02:39 PM
Did Apple actually do any work on the iPod touch or just make a couple of new icons? ;) Seriously, I knew it doesn't need much changing in terms of the software but that just gives Apple more time to sort out the iPhone references! Tut tut Apple, one expected more...

Sijmen
Oct 20, 2007, 03:24 PM
One other thing I noticed is that iPhoto ('05 if I'm not mistaking) also sees my iPod touch, even though there's no camera in it.

iBook2PowerBook
Oct 21, 2007, 09:50 AM
Is the iPod touch supposed to have the "Slide to Unlock" thing? I'm getting my 16GB really soon and I'd love for it to have that.

Sijmen
Oct 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
Is the iPod touch supposed to have the "Slide to Unlock" thing? I'm getting my 16GB really soon and I'd love for it to have that.

Yes, it does. I love it, and so do other people who see it. The only problem I have is that the Dutch translation sais 'ontgrendel', which means 'unlock'. It doesn't explicitly tell you to slide, so people tend to tap the 'block' instead of dragging.