PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone is 4th Top Selling Mobile Phone in U.S.

MacRumors
Oct 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MobileTechNews reports (http://www.mobiletechnews.com/info/2007/10/19/110636.html) on recent data from Strategy Analytics on 3rd quarter 2007 marketshare data for mobile phones.

Strategy Analytics states that the iPhone has been the top selling phone for AT&T accounting for 13% of all AT&T phone sales, which makes it the 4th top selling handset in the U.S.

Strategy Analytics David Kerr notes that the iPhone does appeal to a broad demographic:
While the largest percentage of iPhone buyers is between 20-30 years old, the fact that nearly 25 percent were between 50-60 years old demonstrates that the device attracts buyers across a broad age spectrum

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/19/apple-iphone-is-4th-top-selling-mobile-phone-in-u-s/)

FF_productions
Oct 19, 2007, 11:14 AM
Glad to see the iPhone is doing good and it's retaining its popularity.

miketcool
Oct 19, 2007, 11:17 AM
Only 4th!? Shame on you Apple for again letting down your investors! How much longer until it is #1? 2-3 more quarters? Thats an entire YEAR. Way to go, I have lost all faith in you...

Grimace
Yay for the geezers buying iPhones!!! :p

belovedmonster
I wonder at what point the guys who turned down the iPhone will start kicking themselves, if they haven't already.

Much Ado
Oct 19, 2007, 11:18 AM
That is astonishing...

speakerwizard
Oct 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
i phone nano will take the top spot ;) phone and ipod, no browser.

tekcor
Oct 19, 2007, 11:20 AM
I wonder at what point the guys who turned down the iPhone will start kicking themselves, if they haven't already.

Verizon doesn't care. They've got their large salvo of amazing phones to dominate the market... like the upcoming Juke...

*Please note: sarcasm*

BTW
Oct 19, 2007, 11:26 AM

One other must have feature: unlocked! :eek:

samh004
Oct 19, 2007, 11:29 AM
This is good news, but does that mean they're on target for their 1% in a year or not, that really is the question. I haven't seen any real figures except what Apple has stated on only two occasions, but I don't think they'll get there, I think they'll be close, but just shy of 1%.

We'll have to see what the figures are this Monday :)

nickane
Oct 19, 2007, 11:32 AM
Even if there is no iphone nano, by the time this one is replaced, the original iphone will be offered discounted, and that will make up a product line. That alone will break the 10 million mark, if it already hasn't by then. Once apple has its typical 3 model line-up (budget, mid, pro) the 1% marketshare they're aiming for will be a distant memory.

megfilmworks
Oct 19, 2007, 11:32 AM
Yay for the geezers buying iPhones!!! :p

I thought the geezers were buying Razrs.:)

ilogic
Oct 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
The figures could be better, but many people haven't purchase an iPhone because they're afraid that as soon as they buy one, a new model will come out, typical of the iPod class, and the 200$ price cut didnt help peoples feeling of stability IMO :rolleyes:

Everybody else who bought an iPhone - r:apple:ck on!

Much Ado
Oct 19, 2007, 11:37 AM
I thought the geezers were buying Razrs.:)

I can see a new ad campaign coming- The Razr, fr Gzrs.

ejrizo
Oct 19, 2007, 11:39 AM
well im on my second one seeing as i lost my first one from iDay :mad:

but i love my phone cant live without it

Maxiseller
Oct 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
I wonder if the phone could have been subsidized and apple had not taken a profit in the providers monthly fee, thus reducing the tariff cost if we would have been a little higher than 4th ranking?

Of course, this wouldn't have meant the phone was either locked or unlocked, just cheaper.

The main reason I'm not going to buy one is the rubbish tariff because apple is sticking it's fingers into O2's profits thus meaning it has to give terrible tariffs to get their money back.

The european market will not bear this rip-off phone long term, apple will eventually have to re-think its plans I believe.

plumbingandtech
Oct 19, 2007, 11:47 AM
The european market will not bear this rip-off phone long term, apple will eventually have to re-think its plans I believe.

You are prob. correct. Long term.

In the mean time, even if I lived in the EU I would still buy one now instead of waiting, this thing just plain makes me more productive.

twoodcc
Oct 19, 2007, 12:08 PM

yeah me too. hope it continues

dicklacara
Oct 19, 2007, 12:10 PM
You are prob. correct. Long term.

In the mean time, even if I lived in the EU I would still buy one now instead of waiting, this thing just plain makes me more productive.

Yes!

The iPhone is an (almost) perfect productivity companion.

Wherever I go, I need to take just 3 things:

1) my iPhone (all my important stuff)
2) my wallet
3) my glasses

Now... when they implement: iAm, iPay and iSee apps on the iPhone, it will be the only thing I need with me...

KingofAwesome
Oct 19, 2007, 12:11 PM
I wonder what will happen over the next year, as more and more people see their contracts with other carriers expire. My job responsibilities have shifted over the last few months and I work among a lot of people with blackberries. In March I'll probably get an iPhone, after my Verizon contract ends. I suspect a lot of other people are waiting for their contracts to end as well. Seeing others with iPhones will only help sway them as they wait.

Bosunsfate
Oct 19, 2007, 12:12 PM
I predict it will be the #2 selling device in the US by this summer, and the #1 by the end of 2008.

When the second generation one comes out will determine how accurate I am. :)

princealfie
Oct 19, 2007, 12:15 PM
Verizon doesn't care. They've got their large salvo of amazing phones to dominate the market... like the upcoming Juke...

Juke Juke Juke Juke of Earl Earl Earl...
Juke of Earl...:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::cool:

nagromme
Oct 19, 2007, 12:23 PM
So--probably still the top smart phone as well.

chambers7
Oct 19, 2007, 12:26 PM

thank you for saying this! I don't think that apple would do it, but an iphone minus the internet is exactly what i want!
maybe i will get even more lucky, and apple will announce the iphone nano will only be on verizon... lol.

Crike .40
Oct 19, 2007, 12:37 PM
as others have said, I fully expect a 3-part line-up for the iPhone. Just as "ipod" dominates the market, so too will "iphone" but it will actually be 3 (or 4 or 5 as ipod now seems) different products to cover different niches.

mm1250
Oct 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
This is good news, but does that mean they're on target for their 1% in a year or not, that really is the question. I haven't seen any real figures except what Apple has stated on only two occasions, but I don't think they'll get there, I think they'll be close, but just shy of 1%.

We'll have to see what the figures are this Monday :)

Sam,

Apple's target is 10million units by the end of 2008. Its not 1year, its 18months to sell 10mil. They have to avarage a 555,555units a month to meet this. Apple has already sold 1million in this first 70days. Lets also take into account they are only launched in the U.S. Apple in Nov Month will have 3 new countires launched (France, Germany, UK) So thats a total of 4 countires iPhone will be sold in, at an avarage of 138,000phones per month per country will need to be sold to meet estimate.

Considering they dont' keep lanuching new countries int he 08 year, do you think they are going to seriously have trouble selling at this pace?

Aaargh!
Oct 19, 2007, 12:42 PM
It's probably due to the very expensive plans you need with the phone and not because of the features or looks, considering that the #1 is the ubercrappy RAZR V3 which is a piece of antique and isn't only butt ugly,but also a piece of crap device.

GQB
Oct 19, 2007, 12:45 PM
thank you for saying this! I don't think that apple would do it, but an iphone minus the internet is exactly what i want!
maybe i will get even more lucky, and apple will announce the iphone nano will only be on verizon... lol.

I originally held to a permutation of that.... wanted iPod/Browser with no phone.
Got that (pretty much) in the touch, but truth be told, I really would ideally like to get down to one device. Luckily, I don't live on the phone. (Love the touch, btw.)

But I'm wondering about the iPod/phone-noBrowser model.
That would mean Apple gives up a revenue stream, the start of which we're only starting to see. Direct download from ITS, the Starbucks thing, etc. I think that's more than just a gleam in Steve's eye.

Perhaps they'll nano-ize by droping browser, but keeping wifi that can connect to local services that announce themselves (Starbucks-like) and don't require an elaborate interface. That would still alow a tiny device that doesn't do 'web', but allows upcoming things like phone-based payments to be done elegantly.

We'll see soon enuf.

nickane
Oct 19, 2007, 01:12 PM
I wonder if the phone could have been subsidized and apple had not taken a profit in the providers monthly fee, thus reducing the tariff cost if we would have been a little higher than 4th ranking?

Of course, this wouldn't have meant the phone was either locked or unlocked, just cheaper.

The main reason I'm not going to buy one is the rubbish tariff because apple is sticking it's fingers into O2's profits thus meaning it has to give terrible tariffs to get their money back.

Hear, hear. Those contracts are a joke, free cloud coverage or not. No one is going to pay 35 for 200 min. By the time the iphone has the kind of storage i need (32GB min), hopefully the phones will be cheaper, like with the ipod, which seems to drop in price with every generation (not to mention strip away accessories... how long before customers are expected to provide their own dock cable?).

I've never bought a phone without assessing the cost for the length of the contract. I can spare 270 on a phone, but I don't like spending more than 400/yr on my mobile all in.

mingisback
Oct 19, 2007, 01:22 PM
Make sure to digg this story... it really pisses off the PeeCee fanboys. :)

http://digg.com/apple/Apple_iPhone_is_4th_Top_Selling_Mobile_Phone_in_U_S

jellomizer
Oct 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
As a non-iPhone owner. I am still waiting. I have seen it at the Apple store and played with it a little. While nice, I would like to see what the next version of the iPhone will be like... Perhaps cheaper, smaller, faster and better.

quagmire
Oct 19, 2007, 03:07 PM
As a non-iPhone owner. I am still waiting. I have seen it at the Apple store and played with it a little. While nice, I would like to see what the next version of the iPhone will be like... Perhaps cheaper, smaller, faster and better.

So you'll be waiting forever since the iPhone will always improve with the next gen. :p Like everything else.... :)

SiliconAddict
Oct 19, 2007, 03:30 PM
Umm the top 10 account for 25% of mobile sales. This means exactly squat. :rolleyes: Now if the top 4 accounted for 80%. That would be another matter. I smell worked numbers.

"The typical iPhone buyer is upwardly mobile, college educated with a six-figure household income,"

And this is why it will fail long term at that price point. The possible demographics are extremely narrow. Take the above and then factor in the fact that they also need to be Crapular customers to use it.

bluush
Oct 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
I'd only worry about the Google phone due out soon. For just 100 bucks, a lot of people will jump on that.

ryanwarsaw
Oct 19, 2007, 03:49 PM
Is the iphone i am using now in Cambodia part of these sales figures? It would be naive right now to think these are not world wide sales figures. There isn't going to be much of a turn out for it's launch in Europe. That being said, it will do well enough. I see the junk they sell in Europe and whoever says they have any tech edge is wrong or was lobotomized by Nokia.

sjo
Oct 19, 2007, 03:54 PM
Umm the top 10 account for 25% of mobile sales. This means exactly squat. :rolleyes: Now if the top 4 accounted for 80%. That would be another matter. I smell worked numbers.

"The typical iPhone buyer is upwardly mobile, college educated with a six-figure household income,"

And this is why it will fail long term at that price point. The possible demographics are extremely narrow. Take the above and then factor in the fact that they also need to be Crapular customers to use it.

indeed, 1.1m/q translates to about 3% of the whole market. what's more interesting is the trend: 225k first two days, 1m first 70 days, 1.1m first quarter: the trend is actually slowing. in addition, the impact of the price cut was overestimated.

gnasher729
Oct 19, 2007, 04:12 PM
I predict it will be the #2 selling device in the US by this summer, and the #1 by the end of 2008.

When the second generation one comes out will determine how accurate I am. :)

I don't think so. The iPhone is $399. There will be lots of cheap phones that sell more units. What I would like to know is where the iPhone stands in terms of total revenues.

Digital Skunk
Oct 19, 2007, 05:03 PM

They have a long time to wait... the millions of customers on the other networks that can't/won't switch to AT&T have been kicking them for the past few months. Man! I tell you my legs are tired and my foot hurts, but I ain't done letting Sprint have it yet.

I wonder what the top 3 phones are?

And how long before we can actually see an iPhone or iPhone Nano or whatever on another network? How long before a Rev 2 that would make me consider moving over to the not-so-good-in-my-area AT&T? How long before I can really hold the iPhone up against the Palm Treo feature wise? I'd would move over to AT&T if the iPhone could do EVERYTHING the Treo could do but Apple style, especially bring me mobile broadband to my laptop easily.

SPUY767
Oct 19, 2007, 05:57 PM
It's probably due to the very expensive plans you need with the phone and not because of the features or looks, considering that the #1 is the ubercrappy RAZR V3 which is a piece of antique and isn't only butt ugly,but also a piece of crap device.

you mean the positively cheap plans? I pay 20$ / mo less with my iphone than i did with my blackberry. And of course a subsidized phone is going to be number one.

henjin
Oct 19, 2007, 06:48 PM
I'd only worry about the Google phone due out soon. For just 100 bucks, a lot of people will jump on that.

Google in the wings is interesting but vapor-ware at the moment. The iPhone though if you really want to investigate the figures has some problems which will be sorted in the next versions. However I am not the only person by far to have returned their iPhone as it does not work as a phone.

Anyone buying stock on these massaged figures will be in for a rude surprise as I believe the numbers for returns due to defects or other reasons will be shocking.
Let's say when I returned my iPhone I was not alone.

That does not mean Apple will not dominate the American market, it will. But remember folks the IPod in Europe and Asia is not the majority hardware like it is here. Apple products, computers etc., do not make the top 5 world wide. There is a disconnect. Americans like to line up for hours to have brunch in a popular place, the rest of the world like to eat quietly and with class.

America is about to go into a major recession. Apple will have to lower the iphone price to grow.

Apple stock will reach 200 and then the shorts will pounce on the real news of low quality and mean return policies.

Apple is not the new MS it's the new DEll.

megfilmworks
Oct 19, 2007, 07:17 PM
iPhone owners who use their phones for business will not be put off by the tariffs. Not only is it a write off but increased productivity is worth much more than a high tariff. Casual users and kids will be the losers.

POHeerwig
Oct 19, 2007, 07:18 PM
I have to say that I am totally shocked that it could be the 4th top selling phone. It's expensive, though admittedly, absolutely fantastic.

But in addition to that, it costs quite a bit to add the plan to your phone...and even beyond that, there's the hack that rendered it in 'admin' mode to others...a pretty serious security issue for anyone; especially in this day & age with all the things it could have on it: credit card information, banking, etc.

Again...I love the phone. It's gorgeous and a seriously tight machine. But 4th bestselling phone?! Wow. :eek:

megfilmworks
Oct 19, 2007, 07:58 PM
I have to say that I am totally shocked that it could be the 4th top selling phone. It's expensive, though admittedly, absolutely fantastic.

But in addition to that, it costs quite a bit to add the plan to your phone...and even beyond that, there's the hack that rendered it in 'admin' mode to others...a pretty serious security issue for anyone; especially in this day & age with all the things it could have on it: credit card information, banking, etc.

Again...I love the phone. It's gorgeous and a seriously tight machine. But 4th bestselling phone?! Wow. :eek:
It is incredible considering it competes with a bunch of virtually free phones and is limited to ATT.

dicklacara
Oct 19, 2007, 08:16 PM
Google in the wings is interesting but vapor-ware at the moment. The iPhone though if you really want to investigate the figures has some problems which will be sorted in the next versions. However I am not the only person by far to have returned their iPhone as it does not work as a phone.

Anyone buying stock on these massaged figures will be in for a rude surprise as I believe the numbers for returns due to defects or other reasons will be shocking.

That does not mean Apple will not dominate the American market, it will. But remember folks the IPod in Europe and Asia is not the majority hardware like it is here. Apple products, computers etc., do not make the top 5 world wide. There is a disconnect. Americans like to line up for hours to have brunch in a popular place, the rest of the world like to eat quietly and with class.

America is about to go into a major recession. Apple will have to lower the iphone price to grow.

Apple stock will reach 200 and then the shorts will pounce on the real news of low quality and mean return policies.

The tone of your post... coupled with your Join Date of June 2007 makes me suspicious of your motives.

megfilmworks
Oct 19, 2007, 08:45 PM

Not sure if this is bad advice or an attempt to manipulate the market.

SheriffParker
Oct 19, 2007, 09:34 PM
It is incredible considering it competes with a bunch of virtually free phones and is limited to ATT.

Yes. Thank you for pointing this out. Other phones in the top 10 are probably supported by several cell companies. The fact that an exclusive AT&T device is selling this well is quite the feat.

BiikeMike
Oct 19, 2007, 09:38 PM

I'm sorry to do this, but it's not doing good, it's doing well.

ortuno2k
Oct 19, 2007, 09:54 PM
I never thought I would, and as a matter of fact, deliberately criticized the hype of this phone, but finally fell for its beauty, features, and all the rest, so I purchased one a few days ago. So far, I'm completely in love with it, so these numbers don't surprise me.
Go iPhone! :D

thomasfxlt
Oct 19, 2007, 10:03 PM

I don't recall the name of the operating system Dell authored for THEIR machines????

Rom Rim
Oct 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
That's absolutely great. Now a reality check.

1. There are many estimates of approximately 1,000,000,000 cellphones in use today.
2. Nokia's market share is about 2/5.
3. This means that there are about 400,000,000 Nokia cellphones in use.
4. The iPod didn't really displace anything but today still doesn't have that kind of sales figures.

Besides - if you're happy with your phone what does it matter what other people do?

What I find funny is that on the one hand you want to feel so exclusive with your toys - and then on the other hand you're hoping everyone will buy them. You can't have it both ways.

liberty4all
Oct 19, 2007, 10:38 PM
Leno said it best!

Bosunsfate
Oct 19, 2007, 10:45 PM
I don't think so. The iPhone is $399. There will be lots of cheap phones that sell more units. What I would like to know is where the iPhone stands in terms of total revenues.

The key is the 2nd generation. I think we only need to look at the iPod history to see where it will go.

Leno said it best!

And, yet people keep buying them.

ajhill
Oct 19, 2007, 11:15 PM

We have this thing, here in America. It's called profit. Companies that prosper are profitable and those that don't perish. Look to your governments and cell phone companies as to why the plan is so expensive. My ATT plan is very reasonable and I love my iPhone.

ajhill
Oct 19, 2007, 11:21 PM

1. There are many estimates of approximately 1,000,000,000 cellphones in use today.
4. The iPod didn't really displace anything but today still doesn't have that kind of sales figures.

Besides - if you're happy with your phone what does it matter what other people do?

What I find funny is that on the one hand you want to feel so exclusive with your toys - and then on the other hand you're hoping everyone will buy them. You can't have it both ways.

Yes and there are a bunch of PCs sold in the world each year. And it used to be that 96% of them had windows, and even greater monopoly than Nokia.

Now that number is headed for 80%, with Linux and Mac eating away at Microsofts share. Hey in the last year Apple PC market share has gone from 4% to 8%, DOUBLE and climbing fast. It's physically impossibe for Microsoft to double it's market share. IT IS POSSIBLE for Microsoft to get it's share of the market cut in half. That's still possible. There are a lot of unhappy Vista users who aren't seeing "The Wow"! Not to mention the Zune users who aren't enjoying "The Social".

Apple can still double it's market share another 3 times, while Microsoft has nowhere to go but down. :(

megfilmworks
Oct 19, 2007, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry to do this, but it's not doing good, it's doing well.Unless the iPhone is recovering from a bricking. :)

Quillz
Oct 20, 2007, 01:39 AM

Actually what Verizon does have is more customers and a better network. And they don't have to become AT&T's bitch, either.

Project
Oct 20, 2007, 06:26 AM

Only the vast majority of phones nokia sells are the low end models with small margins. They sell nowhere near that many of the n series. If apple was to take just 10% of the consumer smart phone market, nokia will be worried.. Just a few % of the mobile market for apple means perhaps double the share of market revenue if not more.

sjo
Oct 20, 2007, 09:52 AM

Rom, you've got your figures wrong. There will be more that 1,000,000,000 cellphones sold this year in the world. 40% of those are Nokias. The number of cellphone users in the world today is about 3,000,000,000. Because Nokias share has been rising, less than 40% of those are Nokia users. Still, it's quite safe to estimate that over 1,000,000,000 people user Nokia cells in the world today. Compared to 1,225,000 iphone users.

DakotaGuy
Oct 20, 2007, 09:55 AM
I see it also says the typical iPhone customer has a 6 digit family income. Are the majority of macrumors readers rich or just not your typical iPhone customer?

sjo
Oct 20, 2007, 10:01 AM
Only the vast majority of phones nokia sells are the low end models with small margins. They sell nowhere near that many of the n series. If apple was to take just 10% of the consumer smart phone market, nokia will be worried.. Just a few % of the mobile market for apple means perhaps double the share of market revenue if not more.

Even though Nokia sells a lot of cheap cells, it also sells more smartphones in a week than Apple sells during a quarter...

The mistake Apple made with iPhone was to make it operator specific. From the numbers publish by Strategy Analytics one can estimate that Apple would probably have sold about 3m iPhones during the first quarter if it was available for all the cell networks in the US.

MadWhack
Oct 20, 2007, 10:58 AM
Even though Nokia sells a lot of cheap cells, it also sells more smartphones in a week than Apple sells during a quarter...

The mistake Apple made with iPhone was to make it operator specific. From the numbers publish by Strategy Analytics one can estimate that Apple would probably have sold about 3m iPhones during the first quarter if it was available for all the cell networks in the US.

That's a bold statement considering they are getting monthly revenue directly from AT&T. No one really knows how much they are getting but even if it's 1$ a month, that's 1.1Million in revenue every month for the next two years. Assuming they have the same revenue sharing agreements with the other providers, I don't think they mind the slower growth rate. ;)

BTW
Oct 20, 2007, 06:01 PM
I see it also says the typical iPhone customer has a 6 digit family income. Are the majority of macrumors readers rich or just not your typical iPhone customer?

Many Americans are also living beyond their means and in debt to their eyeballs. I make a 6 digit income but you won't see me buying the current generation mainly since I still have a T-Mobile contract. I'd also prefer a flip or slider (Shuffle-like) version. I'm not a candy bar phone lover. :)

sjo
Oct 20, 2007, 06:11 PM
That's a bold statement considering they are getting monthly revenue directly from AT&T. No one really knows how much they are getting but even if it's 1$ a month, that's 1.1Million in revenue every month for the next two years. Assuming they have the same revenue sharing agreements with the other providers, I don't think they mind the slower growth rate. ;)

such a bold statement that i actually did the math before making it ;)

well you can do the math yourself. assuming 1.1m sold locked and 3m sold unlocked / quarter, $120 profit / phone (in line with independent reports) and $1 / month from att, the cost of the 5 year deal with att in lost sales is about $4b.

Digital Skunk
Oct 20, 2007, 06:53 PM
Actually what Verizon does have is more customers and a better network. And they don't have to become AT&T's bitch, either.

Correct! I don't know if you meant Apple's bitch though. From what i heard, AT&T is getting a very reasonable deal out of the iPhone, they are making good cash, not great cash, since they only collect from the contract and not the phone itself; and that Apple is collecting from the phone and a small percentage of the contract.

Verizon and Sprint don't seem to be too worried about the iPhone, because like the iPod market, there will be plenty of knock-offs that offer better features at a better price. And since people keep bringing up the iPod market to compare the success of the iPhone, I can see it being a good example of it's failure. Palm (if they use their heads for once) may wow us with a new OS based off of Linux, and a professional smartphone that blows away anything the iPhone may have to offer.

Both, some of us are rich, and we are rich because we don't waste our money on certain things, and some of us are poor, because we are poor plain and simple.

The others just have money to waste, and are poor because we do waste our money.

Many Americans are also living beyond their means and in debt to their eyeballs. I make a 6 digit income but you won't see me buying the current generation mainly since I still have a T-Mobile contract. I'd also prefer a flip or slider (Shuffle-like) version. I'm not a candy bar phone lover. :)

I don't mind the candy bar look, but I'd love to see an iPhone made like the Nintendo DS and other phones, that opens up along the width of the device and has more functionality. It could still use the touch UI.

inkswamp
Oct 21, 2007, 11:29 PM
As a long-time Mac user, I have to admit marveling at the irony that Motorola is the one standing to lose so much to the iPhone's popularity--considering how much damage was done to Apple's sales and image many years ago due to Motorola's apparent disinterest in boosting the speed of the PPC chip. Are we seeing Apple's revenge? :D

Anyway, strange how things change, and how a company that was once a partner is now the competition. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out (although if Motorola's track record is any indication, they will basically crawl along at a slug's pace while Apple charges right past them.)

clevin
Oct 22, 2007, 08:23 AM
Yes and there are a bunch of PCs sold in the world each year. And it used to be that 96% of them had windows, and even greater monopoly than Nokia.

Now that number is headed for 80%, with Linux and Mac eating away at Microsofts share. Hey in the last year Apple PC market share has gone from 4% to 8%,

please show me the data of that 80%

as well as

8%

thanks

also

#4 is a vague statement, can we get the full report and get a whole idea? any links?

megfilmworks
Oct 22, 2007, 12:18 PM
please show me the data of that 80%
as well as
8%
thanks
also
#4 is a vague statement, can we get the full report and get a whole idea? any links?Check the article link in the original post.

gkarris
Oct 22, 2007, 03:57 PM
Leno said it best!

He obviously didn't see this N95 for $576.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N95-Silver-Phone-Unlocked/dp/B000PEOLAG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3508577-8625757?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1193086533&sr=8-1

My iPhone was only $299.

Plus, I think it started selling even better with the price drop and when the unlock hacks came out...

Digital Skunk
Oct 22, 2007, 05:59 PM
He obviously didn't see this N95 for $576.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-N95-Silver-Phone-Unlocked/dp/B000PEOLAG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3508577-8625757?ie=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1193086533&sr=8-1

My iPhone was only $299.

Plus, I think it started selling even better with the price drop and when the unlock hacks came out...

Yeah... and with the unlock hacks and the update I am sure everyone is happy with their new iBricks. Seriously though... the N95 has ten times the amount of features the iPhone has, and if it works on more than one network (which is does) it's already better than the iPhone.

The only two features I need from the iPhone is to get my laptop online through bluetooth or USB and to be on a faster network.

gikku
Oct 22, 2007, 06:52 PM
Umm,
these numbers suggest there's something wrong at AT&T.
AT&T's best selling phone is number 4 ?
So there are 3 other phones selling better, all on other networks?

or is it that the 3 other phones are available on multiple networks?

sellitman
Oct 22, 2007, 07:23 PM
I can see a new ad campaign coming- The Razr, fr Gzrs.

lmao!!!