PDA

View Full Version : iPod Classic loud hard drive?

hauntedcity
Oct 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
Is it common to have a noisy hard drive in a 160 GB iPod Classic? I can hear the hard drive spin up when selecting tracks, and I can actually feel a slight vibration, too.

This was a replacement for a 4th Gen iPod Photo (60GB), and I never heard or felt a thing in the older iPod.

Thanks,
Doug

Invasion
Oct 20, 2007, 12:53 PM
I just got an 80gb classic yesterday to replace my old 4G 20gb ipod and compared to that it's rather quiet. :cool:

hauntedcity
Oct 23, 2007, 12:36 PM
Any suggestions on the best way to handle this? I know I can call Support, and they would send a box for me to mail it back to them. However, I'm leaving on vacation in a couple of weeks, and I wouldn't want to be without the iPod (just as I would not like it to die while on vacaton, as well). I purchased online, but could I take it to an Apple Store and have them look at it?

Doug

ensoniqdap
Feb 9, 2008, 04:03 PM
I had a 4th generation, IPod 40 gig that died unexpectedly back in September (I had been viewing and drooling over the IPod 160... I guess my 40gig decided to kill itself)

I bought the IPod 160 and I have been noticing an INCREASING chirp from the hard drive... VERY audible. Today, I received an "IPod not found" error message, which led automatically to my IPod being restored.

The chirp is still there... I use my IPod a moderate amount and have NOT dropped... I am concerned that THIS drive may be dying...

Anyone else with this problem???

David:confused:

zflauaus
Feb 9, 2008, 04:17 PM
Sounds like the hard drive is about to die if it's really loud. I'd call AppleCare.