PDA

View Full Version : Panther DP ---> Panther GM?

ColoJohnBoy
Sep 5, 2003, 02:17 PM
I'm new to the developer game. I just joined ADC, downloaded the Panther preview, burned the disc image, began to install, and saw the following onscreen:

<i>You cannot upgrade "Panther" developer preview to "Panther" GM.</i>

Does this mean I'm stuck with the preview of Panther for good, or that I simply don't get the GM for free, and I'll have to pay the regular $129? Its probably the latter, but I want to make absolutely certain of that. I'm itching to install it, but I don't want to dig myself into a hole.

edesignuk
Sep 5, 2003, 02:18 PM
It means that when there is a final build of Panther (GM aka Gold Master), you will not be able to upgrade your beta build of Panther to this final version.

ColoJohnBoy
Sep 5, 2003, 02:22 PM
As in I'll just have to do a clean install of Panther? I just want to make sure it will be possible to install the GM. I don't care if I have to do a clean install, as long as I can do it. Sorry to be a pain...

edesignuk
Sep 5, 2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
As in I'll just have to do a clean install of Panther? I just want to make sure it will be possible to install the GM. I don't care if I have to do a clean install, as long as I can do it. Sorry to be a pain...
Exactly. You can install the GM no problem, you will just have to format and clean install first.

ColoJohnBoy
Sep 5, 2003, 02:29 PM
Okay, I'm being a major pain in the butt here. When I do install the GM, do I have to completely backup, erase, and reformat my hard drive? I don't suppose that would be a problem, as I have an external drive, I just want to have all the information before I do it.

edesignuk
Sep 5, 2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ColoJohnBoy
Okay, I'm being a major pain in the butt here. When I do install the GM, do I have to completely backup, erase, and reformat my hard drive? I don't suppose that would be a problem, as I have an external drive, I just want to have all the information before I do it.
I don't want to say anything for 100% certain here, just incase I'm wrong. But as I understand it, you cannot go from a beta to the GM. You must do a clean (removal of any existing data on the drive) of the GM release. So yes, backup all your stuff on to that external drive before your install of Panther GM.

ColoJohnBoy
Sep 5, 2003, 02:37 PM
Darn. I was hoping I could just plop the CD (DVD?) in and go. Thanks for all your help anyhow. I'd appreciate any information you or anybody else could give me beyond this. I'll let you know how the install went!

LimeLite
Sep 5, 2003, 03:13 PM
I woudln't install it on my main drive if I were you anyway. I'd partition it or install it on a bootable extrernal, and just boot from that when I want to use Panther but still be able to switch back to Jaguar.

Tim Flynn
Sep 5, 2003, 04:19 PM
My turn to be a pain :D

How do I download?
I have gone to the download section of ADC, for the Panther CD1 it says format is segments and file size is "---".
I suspect segments is a binary image of sorts.
I click on download, there is some action on the URL line of Safari, then focus goes to the finder. Nothing else happens.
what am I doing wrong?

lewdvig
Sep 5, 2003, 04:29 PM
it will be a lot easier to grab a cheap 20gb HD form a buddy for a while and install it there.

just pop your case and disconnect your main drives while installing the demo drive.

Nermal
Sep 5, 2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Tim Flynn

How do I download?
I have gone to the download section of ADC, for the Panther CD1 it says format is segments and file size is "---".
I click on download, there is some action on the URL line of Safari, then focus goes to the finder. Nothing else happens.
what am I doing wrong?

It's trying to connect to an FTP site, but Safari doesn't support FTP. It works in Explorer though (yuck).

jwdawso
Sep 5, 2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Tim Flynn

How do I download?
what am I doing wrong?
In Safari, clicking on download initiates mounting the ftp directory as a remote file system. Once it mounts, you can use the finder to view the directory, and drag and drop the segments to your own computer. HOWEVER, because of so many users trying to download, this does not work reliably. Try Netscape 7.1.