PDA

View Full Version : Google Adds IMAP Access For GMail

FunkyJunk
Oct 24, 2007, 09:40 AM
Note: I would respectfully ask edesignuk not to lock this thread. I think there are people who would like to discuss the iphone-specific issues surrounding Gmail IMAP support without confusing Mac Mail cross-conversations.
---

I set up my iPhone to accept Gmail's new IMAP support, but it doesn't seem to be doing any "push" email. I can only get new emails if I go into the iPhone's mail application or set up automatic polling on the phone. I was under the impression that IMAP specifically implied "push" email, but perhaps not?

For the record, I've set everything up as per Gmail's instruction pages.

edesignuk
Oct 24, 2007, 09:50 AM
IMAP is not Push. It just keeps messages on the server, it doesn't push them down to you though. You still have to "request" new messages.

Fuchal
Oct 24, 2007, 09:52 AM
Note: I would respectfully ask edesignuk not to lock this thread. I think there are people who would like to discuss the iphone-specific issues surrounding Gmail IMAP support without confusing Mac Mail cross-conversations.
---

I set up my iPhone to accept Gmail's new IMAP support, but it doesn't seem to be doing any "push" email. I can only get new emails if I go into the iPhone's mail application or set up automatic polling on the phone. I was under the impression that IMAP specifically implied "push" email, but perhaps not?

For the record, I've set everything up as per Gmail's instruction pages.

I havent seen any specific reference claiming that gmail does push imap (it has to support IDLE). But I also feel that the iPhone does not support push imap on just any old imap account - only yahoo. (you dont seem to get the push on/off option for any imap account you set up other than yahoo's) I may be wrong, however. :)

FunkyJunk
Oct 24, 2007, 09:59 AM
IMAP != push.... understood. Sorry to see that, but I'm not going to go back to my Gmail>Yahoo forwarding mess in order to get that back. I guess I don't really mind checking myself and letting the phone poll every 15 minutes if it means that read/unread mail gets updated across both platforms.

bigandy
Oct 24, 2007, 10:20 AM
Google posted a YouTube video about setting it up if anyone needs it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ22euWXYog)

billchase2
Oct 24, 2007, 10:42 AM
it works GREAT! i now have access to all my "folders" within gmail and everything. quite happy! i've been waiting for this...

mobilehavoc
Oct 24, 2007, 11:26 AM
IMAP 'push' aka Yahoo on iPhone is done using IMAP_IDLE which is usually supported out of box with any IMAP implementation. However, iPhone's IMAP support doesn't work with IMAP_IDLE for any IMAP account except for Yahoo right now.

Basically IMAP_IDLE leaves the connection to the IMAP server open and receives notification from the server when new mail arrives. I have a personal IMAP account that works this way in Outlook but not on iPhone.

ClemTiger0408
Oct 24, 2007, 12:25 PM
I really wish Google would get on the ball and add IMAP to my account! I'm dying to get this working!

x0lliex
Oct 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
My very old gmail account from May 2004 has IMAP enabled. I have just set it up on the iPhone and it is so much better than pop. I didn't have to go through and mark every single email as read, they already arrived read (as they have obviously been read already). I can also see all of my folders and can actually delete stuff from the phone. My other gmail account from December 2004 has yet to get IMAP support.

philhyde
Oct 24, 2007, 12:52 PM
You get what you pay for! :D

I really wish Google would get on the ball and add IMAP to my account! I'm dying to get this working!

shane1598
Oct 24, 2007, 12:56 PM
it is so much better than pop. I dont know what i love more the iphone or gmail.

Mac-Addict
Oct 24, 2007, 12:58 PM
I havent got IMAP on my gmail yet either, it will be on there soon.

chrischile22
Oct 24, 2007, 01:22 PM
does the new gmail IMAP prevent every email you send from your iphone from arriving back in your inbox as an unread email?

FunkyJunk
Oct 24, 2007, 01:34 PM
Apparently not. :( It posts it to your inbox, but at least it's listed as "read" not "unread."

Drumjim85
Oct 24, 2007, 01:39 PM
does the new gmail IMAP prevent every email you send from your iphone from arriving back in your inbox as an unread email?

i think it does .... the sent mail goes to "sent" and "all mail" but not the inbox ....

chrischile22
Oct 24, 2007, 01:42 PM
Well, if it puts it in the inbox as "read" then that solves 90% of the problem... it's just annoying to send an email, then forget about it, put the phone back in your pocket, only to get a "beep" several minutes later letting you know that you have mail. So, you think, "cool, I got a reply," or "huh, I wonder what new email I have?", only to be fooled once because, nope, it's just the same email you sent a few minutes ago.

iscripter
Oct 24, 2007, 01:43 PM
When can you tell if you have access to IMAP support on Gmail. Do they send you a email to let you know of the new feature or do you just have to keep going back and checking your settings panel in Gmail?

I need this new functionality bad.

Drumjim85
Oct 24, 2007, 01:46 PM
When can you tell if you have access to IMAP support on Gmail. Do they send you a email to let you know of the new feature or do you just have to keep going back and checking your settings panel in Gmail?

I need this new functionality bad.

ya, it just appears in the settings ... theres a tab that read something like ... forwarding pop/imap

FunkyJunk
Oct 24, 2007, 01:50 PM
You might have to sign out of Gmail and then back in for it to show up. (maybe not)

gceo
Oct 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
Anyone know if POP is coming to Gmail?

Drumjim85
Oct 24, 2007, 01:54 PM
Anyone know if POP is coming to Gmail?

:confused::confused:are you being sarcastic?? :confused::confused:

Mondochuk
Oct 24, 2007, 02:41 PM
I didn't see it specifically addressed anywhere, but on the iPhone support site they say you can "copy" a conversation to multiple folders (labels). I'm not sure what I'm missing, how do you "copy" a new e-mail to different folders while keeping it in the inbox? Or just "copy" it to one folder for that matter? All I see is "Move" it to a folder. :confused:

gceo
Oct 24, 2007, 03:32 PM
:confused::confused:are you being sarcastic?? :confused::confused:

No, am I missing something here? I dislike the Yahoo POP and am hoping to get my GMail account on POP.

Why would I be sarcastic?

FunkyJunk
Oct 24, 2007, 03:40 PM
Unless you're actually referring to IMAP (which Yahoo has), then just go through the big Gmail button on your iPhone email setup and you'll get POP access.

Drumjim85
Oct 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
No, am I missing something here? I dislike the Yahoo POP and am hoping to get my GMail account on POP.

Why would I be sarcastic?

Cause pop is so old, everything has pop ... gmail has always had this ...

although I'm not sure why you want to use pop when IMAP is now available...

gceo
Oct 24, 2007, 04:04 PM

Oh man, I'm being a tool. sorry. I meant PUSH.

Drumjim85
Oct 24, 2007, 04:11 PM
Oh man, I'm being a tool. sorry. I meant PUSH.

ahh .. yes ...

Gmail doesn't have push currently ... and i don't even think the iphone supports it (except for yahoo, which i think they teamed up with, although it doesn't really work.)...

Not to say that an update won't fix this and allow push on gmail or aol...

morg0052
Oct 24, 2007, 04:22 PM
So far its not showing up in my gmail, hopefully soon. For someone that has it working do the labels/folders show up on your iphone and also in the mail app(ie Mac mail app) automatically, or must you create them again. If this works smoothly it is going to be a really nice feature and make the iphone a lot easier to use with a computer email app as well because finally everything will be synced!!!!!

MacRumors
Oct 24, 2007, 06:44 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Google today announced IMAP support (http://mail.google.com/mail/help/intl/en/about_whatsnew.html) for its immensely popular GMail email service.

Previously, GMail users have either had to connect using POP3 in Apple's Mail client or via Google's mobile web interface (http://m.gmail.com). However, POP3 has notable limitations when mail may be accessed from more than one client (i.e. a web client and a desktop mail client). In such situations, IMAP is much more suited to the task.

Interestingly, Google appears to be very much aware that some of the people most interested in the new functionality will be iPhone users. They have posted the following video tutorial for how to set up GMail on the iPhone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ22euWXYog).

The capability of course does not apply only to the iPhone, as users of desktop-based mail clients could use IMAP as well using the same settings.

Additional Reading: IMAP vs. POP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol#Advantages_over_POP3) (via Wikipedia)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/24/google-adds-imap-access-for-gmail/)

jstad
Oct 24, 2007, 06:48 PM
IMAP is not Push. It just keeps messages on the server, it doesn't push them down to you though. You still have to "request" new messages.

True, just tested it out. Not what I hoped for but making progress :D

rstansby
Oct 24, 2007, 06:59 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with IMAP. In Settings>mail there is a pane for "sending" which has a switch for "Always Bcc Myself". If this is on, then you will always get a copy of every email in your inbox.

whenpaulsparks
Oct 24, 2007, 07:05 PM

GMail hasn't always had this. i've had gmail since the early stages when you had to beg someone to send you one of their 10 requests (or buy one on ebay... remember that?!), and back then they didn't have POP. it was a big deal when they added it.

but i'm so excited about this, because at least now messages i send will show up as read, instead of it going off with a "new message" alert every time i send an email. also, pop sucks anyways, it has to redownload everything as new instead of seeing a list of messages on the server (which is what GMail is designed for anyways, i don't know why they didn't do IMAP from the get-go). my account doesn't have IMAP yet (thanks google for honoring the people that have been on your service for ages), but i'm excited for when it is enabled. i have sent in multiple requests on their feedback to add IMAP access.

whenpaulsparks
Oct 24, 2007, 07:06 PM
I don't think this has anything to do with IMAP. In Settings>mail there is a pane for "sending" which has a switch for "Always Bcc Myself". If this is on, then you will always get a copy of every email in your inbox.

bzzzzt incorrect. with Gmail, they "thread" messages, so your outgoing messages appear in your inbox. you can't change a setting on the iphone to make this go away.

whenpaulsparks
Oct 24, 2007, 07:18 PM
GREAT NEWS!

My account hasn't been enabled yet, but my wife's has, and she only signed up for it in the last few months (they must be doing the newest accounts first). she was annoyed at the sent emails showing up as new in the inbox, and so i switched her to imap, changed the settings on her phone (had to drop/add the account), and NONE OF HER SENT MAILS were in the inbox! Also, i tried testing it and sent an email to myself, and it didn't show up in her inbox, even with multiple refreshes of the inbox.

the sent items show up in an IMAP sent items folder, and NOW you ALSO have access to the Starred, SPAM, and any other folders you have!!!

Djmx
Oct 24, 2007, 08:08 PM
Anyone Else's IMAP option work yet... i dnot see mine yet..

mduser63
Oct 24, 2007, 08:17 PM

Mine doesn't work yet. Google says on one of their help pages that they're rolling it out over the next few days, so don't worry if you don't see it yet.

richard4339
Oct 24, 2007, 08:42 PM
This is the one thing I've been waiting for! And I haven't gotten it enabled on my account yet =/ ARG!

Fuchal
Oct 24, 2007, 08:48 PM
This is the one thing I've been waiting for! And I haven't gotten it enabled on my account yet =/ ARG!

Ha, me too. I think I've checked about 100 times today.

Nicolasdec
Oct 24, 2007, 08:52 PM
I have been using it for about a day now, and it works fine across 3 PCs and macs and an iphone. Good job Google.... :):)

Angelo921
Oct 24, 2007, 08:57 PM

is Googles IMAP similar to AOL's email? In other words is AOL IMAP also?

Zolk
Oct 24, 2007, 09:11 PM
Ha, me too. I think I've checked about 100 times today.

Still waiting here as well. What sucks is that I've setup several Google accounts for clients in the past (mainly for Analytics access) and every one of them has IMAP already. :(

gameguy3001
Oct 24, 2007, 09:16 PM
I have it set up on my computer and its working great., The only thing is it forces you to have a folder called [Gmail] in the left column of Mail.app which just clutters it up a bit. But I can live with it

Angelo921
Oct 24, 2007, 09:18 PM
ahh .. yes ...

Gmail doesn't have push currently ... and i don't even think the iphone supports it (except for yahoo, which i think they teamed up with, although it doesn't really work.)...

Not to say that an update won't fix this and allow push on gmail or aol...

I currently use AOL for email on my iPhone and even though there is no push it automatically checks for new email every 5 minutes. Im not sure how that is possible since my settings are for every 15 minutes but thats close enough for push to me.

Does anyone else use AOL for email and get there new email every 5 minutes?

erectorset
Oct 24, 2007, 09:29 PM
I know the iPhone or other non-Gmail-web-interface clients don't support the threaded view I've come to rely on with Gmail, but if I reply to a message using the iPhone and then log in to the Gmail web interface, will it (the Gmail web interface) show the appropriate thread with my reply and any subsequent additions to the conversation?

ingenious
Oct 24, 2007, 09:43 PM

Hmm... are you talking iPhone or GMail (don't you love Google and Apple's capitalization schemas?!:rolleyes::p)?

ellsworth
Oct 24, 2007, 10:03 PM
still waiting too!

tooshaggy
Oct 24, 2007, 10:09 PM
only one of my three accounts are imap active so far.
imap on the one that is, is AWESOME!
ALL the mailboxes are there!!!

Come on Google.... catch up please!!:D

bytethese
Oct 24, 2007, 10:10 PM

Mines not working yet, no IMAP tab. I signed up pretty early when Gmail was first out, strange that I don't see it yet!

ghall
Oct 24, 2007, 10:50 PM
Its not working for me either. :(
Poopie.

AHDuke99
Oct 24, 2007, 11:52 PM
funny thing is that my gmail account from july 2004 doesnt have IMAP but my friends account from december 2006 does .. so much for early adopters getting it first.

loudestnoise
Oct 25, 2007, 12:37 AM
I want it soooo bad. I first saw the announcement last night and have been waiting. Still nothing. Oh well, I've waited this long, a few more days won't kill me.

shadowfax
Oct 25, 2007, 02:45 AM
+1 for waiters here. I am so on the edge of my seat about this. I really, really, really, really, really want IMAP. I was so mad at GMail after using it for about a week on my iPhone that I moved my entire e-mail library over to my school mail account, which is on Exchange servers with IMAP support, and started using that. The synchronization is amazing and totally sweet. The junk mail is nothing short of depressing. My school account gets an unbelievable amount of junk mail, probably 75% of the stuff in my inbox (after the university mail "filter") is spam. It's such a pain on the iPhone. I can't wait to get back to an awesome mail filter with GMail.

Hurry up and give it to us, Google! Grah!!

edesignuk
Oct 25, 2007, 02:48 AM
Not showing up for me yet either, but I have faith. I'm just grateful they've finally switched it on. I can wait a few days while they roll it out.

IMO there really is nothing that can compare to gmail now. Fantastic spam filter, 4.3GB storage and counting, great simple web interface, POP3, IMAP etc. Brilliant!

yayaba
Oct 25, 2007, 03:32 AM
Nothing here either. But I'm looking forward to this, POP using the Mail client was extremely painful.

Nicolasdec
Oct 25, 2007, 04:57 AM
Give it 3 day, They are probably getting hammered down with requests. It sooo much better than POP3.

MrT8064
Oct 25, 2007, 06:32 AM
Give it 3 day, They are probably getting hammered down with requests. It sooo much better than POP3.

try switching the language to US english, this helped me, i am now IMAPing and its fantastic

edesignuk
Oct 25, 2007, 06:34 AM
try switching the language to US english, this helped me, i am now IMAPing and its fantasticI tried this, didn't help me :(

metoo6000
Oct 25, 2007, 07:00 AM
try switching the language to US english, this helped me, i am now IMAPing and its fantastic

Doesn't work for me neither. Hope I can get it before 9th Nov... :(

michaelsviews
Oct 25, 2007, 07:14 AM
Doesn't work for me neither. Hope I can get it before 9th Nov... :(

I tried a new gmail acct and I could NOT get the IMAP there either, oh well have to wait and see what happens and when it happens, should be soon if there advertising all these demos and such, you know that Google is getting emails slamming them saying what the heck guys and gals?

infamous
Oct 25, 2007, 07:35 AM
Another one of the many that is still waiting for the option

richard4339
Oct 25, 2007, 08:46 AM
It's like waiting on your invite to beta test Trillian for Mac... it just seems like it'll never get here! (Still no imap =/)

Buschmaster
Oct 25, 2007, 08:56 AM
My brother has it, I created a new email and it got it, but my current one... nope.

I created tat new one to play around with it and it works great, it's awesome with the iPhone!

jcammo123
Oct 25, 2007, 09:02 AM
wow!
i guess im one of the lucky few to have access to the IMAP feature...

its cool and everything i guess...

but ive noticed that it takes longer to connect, and then check the email...

also the little dial at the top is constantly spinning, even after its done checking for new mail...

so if its constantly spinning, then that means your phone is working harder, resulting in a soon to be dead (out of charge) iPhone...

so why does it do that? or am i alone... hmmm

:: my 2 cents ::

penguy
Oct 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
I tried a new gmail acct and I could NOT get the IMAP there either, oh well have to wait and see what happens and when it happens, should be soon if there advertising all these demos and such, you know that Google is getting emails slamming them saying what the heck guys and gals?

make sure you select NEW account, not new GMAIL account. That feature doesn't work yet with IMAP. If you follow the video instructions, you should not have any problems.

bytethese
Oct 25, 2007, 09:39 AM
make sure you select NEW account, not new GMAIL account. That feature doesn't work yet with IMAP. If you follow the video instructions, you should not have any problems.

I think you missed a step. :)

You first need to log in to your Gmail account and enable IMAP. What most of us are saying (I believe) is that we do not see the option to even turn on IMAP yet in our accounts. At least I don't. Once that's enabled, I can then go to my iPhone and follow the mailbox creation steps outlined in the video. :)

chopper dave
Oct 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
There's a lot of fuss about Gmail IMAP, but you should also check out their new iphone web interface at m.gmail.com. I've found it to be MUCH FASTER than the mail app, which I believe comes from not forcing download of readable attachments. Also, you can do one-touch deletes and access most of your usual gmail features. I feel like this is what mail should have been like on the mail app.

The only thing it is lacking are the usual apple integrations with other apps and background mail checking. Its compose functionality is limited as well, since it lacks a good address book auto-complete. I'm curious for the people with IMAP access- which do you like more, web or built-in? Compared to POP, I think I will keep it set up on the mail app for composition, but after it chimes in with new email, hop on Safari to read with the web interface. I just can't stand it when I get a 1mb attachment on EDGE and have to wait 2 minutes to read a friggin email.

penguy
Oct 25, 2007, 10:02 AM
I think you missed a step. :)

You first need to log in to your Gmail account and enable IMAP. What most of us are saying (I believe) is that we do not see the option to even turn on IMAP yet in our accounts. At least I don't. Once that's enabled, I can then go to my iPhone and follow the mailbox creation steps outlined in the video. :)

you are correct, I didn't mention that step because in my gmail setup, that option was already selected when I logged in. I assumed google made that the default.

penguy
Oct 25, 2007, 10:05 AM
There's a lot of fuss about Gmail IMAP, but you should also check out their new iphone web interface at m.gmail.com. I've found it to be MUCH FASTER than the mail app, which I believe comes from not forcing download of readable attachments. Also, you can do one-touch deletes and access most of your usual gmail features. I feel like this is what mail should have been like on the mail app.

The only thing it is lacking are the usual apple integrations with other apps and background mail checking. Its compose functionality is limited as well, since it lacks a good address book auto-complete. I'm curious for the people with IMAP access- which do you like more, web or built-in? Compared to POP, I think I will keep it set up on the mail app for composition, but after it chimes in with new email, hop on Safari to read with the web interface. I just can't stand it when I get a 1mb attachment on EDGE and have to wait 2 minutes to read a friggin email.

Thanks for the tip. I have to admit, the web version is pretty nice. Might be better if I can sync my address books, and, as you say, add auto complete.

jordygreen
Oct 25, 2007, 10:12 AM
I still dont have IMAP enabled in the settings in Gmail yet, but its definately a great idea from Gmail to add this feature!

lawcomic
Oct 25, 2007, 10:31 AM
I don't mind admitting my ignorance of all things IMAP and POP.

What is the advantage of IMAP on GMail over POP?

Dfndr90
Oct 25, 2007, 10:52 AM
I have had the imap since late Tuesday night when I first saw it in my gmail settings. It is wicked fast when it comes to uploading and downloading emails you WILL notice a difference. I was in the original Gmail beta, but my wife just started her account and both of us were enabled in settings at the same time The folders work perfect too.

Matt...

FunkyJunk
Oct 25, 2007, 10:58 AM

The short answer is it keeps your mailboxes in sync. Opening a message on your iPhone means it shows as "read" on your Mac, PC, etc., and vice-versa. With POP, every new message you get downloaded to your iPhone will show as "unread" even if you read it on your home computer.

There are other advantages, but that seems to be the biggie.

lssmit02
Oct 25, 2007, 11:01 AM

From the Google page (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=72454) on this issue:

If you notice that messages you send from your iPhone are appearing in your iPhone's inbox, please note that this POP behavior is a result of enabling Recent mode to ensure that all other POP clients will be able to access your messages. We're aware of this issue and thank you for your patience while we address this issue.

According to this page (https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=47948), "If you're accessing your Gmail using POP from multiple clients, Gmail's recent mode makes sure that all messages are made available to each client, rather than only to the first client to access new mail."

I configured a gmail account for my wife that I knew she would only access from her iPhone or the web, so I turned off recent mode. No more duplicate sent messages.

Andrew Dunne
Oct 25, 2007, 11:34 AM
Does the imap synchronise all your folders too? How are your folders represented on GMail?

Does it handle your address book? Does anyone know of a way to synchronise your Address Book with GMail?

:apple: 17" Macbook Pro Intel Cor Duo :apple:

Drumjim85
Oct 25, 2007, 12:10 PM

Additional Reading: IMAP vs. POP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Message_Access_Protocol#Advantages_over_POP3) (via Wikipedia)

Drumjim85
Oct 25, 2007, 12:11 PM
Does the imap synchronise all your folders too? How are your folders represented on GMail?

Does it handle your address book? Does anyone know of a way to synchronise your Address Book with GMail?

:apple: 17" Macbook Pro Intel Cor Duo :apple:

it doesn't handle your address book (your iphone's address book does that).. but it does give you all your folder/labels ... which is really nice

byakuya
Oct 25, 2007, 01:12 PM
IMAP setting is activated on all my accounts (2) but I don't have my macbook yet:( (still in repair)
this sucks...can't wait to try it out with apple mail.

byakuya

True Tao
Oct 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
I have a pop account that I currently access through MS Outlook on my desktop and through my iPhone, it's only one account and I was wondering if there is any benefit to going through Gmails Imap? When someone sends me a picture attachement from MS Outlook I can't open it or see it unless it's embedded in the body of the email, would Imap help with this situation? Thanks, appreciate it

byakuya
Oct 25, 2007, 01:36 PM
I have a pop account that I currently access through MS Outlook on my desktop and through my iPhone, it's only one account and I was wondering if there is any benefit to going through Gmails Imap? When someone sends me a picture attachement from MS Outlook I can't open it or see it unless it's embedded in the body of the email, would Imap help with this situation? Thanks, appreciate it

I doubt that IMAP will help with the pictures issue but I highly recommend using IMAP if you access your mail account via iPhone, browser, and mail application...it helps you keep your account synced and lets you organize your inbox more effectively.

byakuya

AHDuke99
Oct 25, 2007, 02:11 PM
I doubt that IMAP will help with the pictures issue but I highly recommend using IMAP if you access your mail account via iPhone, browser, and mail application...it helps you keep your account synced and lets you organize your inbox more effectively.

byakuya

and this is why i wanted it so badly. and i still dont have it.... 3 and a half years of using gmail and i am one of the last to get it. thanks! :D

byakuya
Oct 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
and this is why i wanted it so badly. and i still dont have it.... 3 and a half years of using gmail and i am one of the last to get it. thanks! :D

good luck:)
it won't take too long i guess...but I feel for you. waiting for something you want is the worst anyways...

byakuya

WRXHokie
Oct 25, 2007, 02:40 PM
Still no IMAP with my account yet. Have logged out and logged back in and that did nothing.

Patiently waiting for my gmail IMAP....

SimonTheSoundMa
Oct 25, 2007, 03:00 PM
I was on gmail since month 2 it came out, still have no IMAP. I also pay for Yahoo! mail, but zero IMAP. :(

pacohaas
Oct 25, 2007, 03:02 PM
no IMAP on any of my 8 @gmail.com accounts. I think you guys are just pulling my leg. I have accounts created several years back, up to just a few months ago and none seem to have this option. April fools?

balamw
Oct 25, 2007, 03:14 PM
Just got mine. Joy!

B

danny_w
Oct 25, 2007, 03:15 PM
No IMAP on my account yet. Gmail's not supporting IMAP is the main reason that I went with .mac for email, but their servers are horrendously slow, esp. for web mail. I will have to see how well Gmail works when they gt around to adding IMAP to my account.

CADer
Oct 25, 2007, 03:18 PM
I claim this to be the greatest update on the Iphone yet!! While this is not an Iphone update it is an awesome new feature to my Gmail account that makes the Iphone mail app (and many other mail apps) worth using.

Now, if only they would add IMAP to my other two Gmail accounts! What is the hold up!

hidehide
Oct 25, 2007, 03:33 PM
Do you guys know why when I sent an email in my iPhone, I will receive the same email in my inbox when I check with my MacBook. While if I sent an email with my MacBook, it will show in the inbox of my iPhone.

MotionxxUSxx
Oct 25, 2007, 03:34 PM
No IMAP on my account yet. Gmail's not supporting IMAP is the main reason that I went with .mac for email, but their servers are horrendously slow, esp. for web mail. I will have to see how well Gmail works when they gt around to adding IMAP to my account.

did you just get it now but did not have it this morning? I wander if they will turn everyone else on at once or add a few users at a time.

Zolk
Oct 25, 2007, 03:38 PM
did you just get it now but did not have it this morning? I wander if they will turn everyone else on at once or add a few users at a time.

One of my extra accounts that didn't have IMAP this morning now has it. However, I'm still waiting for IMAP on my main account. It looks like they're slowly adding IMAP to accounts in small batches.

byakuya
Oct 25, 2007, 03:44 PM
Do you guys know why when I sent an email in my iPhone, I will receive the same email in my inbox when I check with my MacBook. While if I sent an email with my MacBook, it will show in the inbox of my iPhone.

that's exactly the problem with mail accounts that do not have imap...this won't happen from now on with your gmail account though:)

byakuya

richard4339
Oct 25, 2007, 04:06 PM
Just got enabled for me. One thing I can tell is that it is really slow for me (despite what others have said).

iJawn108
Oct 25, 2007, 04:48 PM
Finally working properly with Mail.app

gameguy3001
Oct 25, 2007, 05:00 PM
Finally working properly with Mail.app

Did you have a [GMail] folder on the left all the time?

penguy
Oct 25, 2007, 05:50 PM
an earlier poster asked about the web version vs. the IMAP version. After a few hours of playing with it, I'd have to say I prefer the web version at m.gmail.com. The fact that the threads are shown, it appears faster than IMAP and it looks like gmail does is appealing.

infamous
Oct 25, 2007, 07:04 PM
grrr, still waiting...

kbrain2929
Oct 25, 2007, 07:10 PM
:( I'm still waiting for my IMAP to be "turned on." And I thought the wait for Leopard was bad... :p lol. :apple:

michaelsviews
Oct 25, 2007, 07:14 PM
grrr, still waiting...

Something tells me that this is going to take a while and that its going to happen in the weeeee hours of the night or lets say after the 12PM.Midnight when the least people are on.

Who knows I could be wrong.

It will happen when it happens

martinmartin
Oct 25, 2007, 07:51 PM
IMAP appeared on my account tonight around 8.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to add it to mail.app without all 2000 messages from my inbox loading...

chopper dave
Oct 25, 2007, 08:06 PM
IMAP appeared on my account tonight around 8.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to add it to mail.app without all 2000 messages from my inbox loading...

2000 messages? Try 10000 for me. I think the reason it is slow is that everyone is downloading thousands of headers for the 1st time.

Here's a question- can spotlight search the body of your IMAP messages? I have had spotty luck at best with message body searching through POP mail, so the loss of this isn't huge. The real killer feature of the gmail web interface for me is simply the ability to search these 10000 messages in seconds and be sure that I didn't miss anything.

martinmartin
Oct 25, 2007, 08:16 PM
2000 messages? Try 10000 for me. I think the reason it is slow is that everyone is downloading thousands of headers for the 1st time.

Here's a question- can spotlight search the body of your IMAP messages? I have had spotty luck at best with message body searching through POP mail, so the loss of this isn't huge. The real killer feature of the gmail web interface for me is simply the ability to search these 10000 messages in seconds and be sure that I didn't miss anything.

damn, thats a lot. i just checked mine - its actually 4700, but 2000 are unread.

in any case, for pop, there is a setting that says 'only deliver messages from this day on' - i dont see that for IMAP. is it all or nothing?

balamw
Oct 25, 2007, 08:59 PM
damn, thats a lot. i just checked mine - its actually 4700, but 2000 are unread.

in any case, for pop, there is a setting that says 'only deliver messages from this day on' - i dont see that for IMAP. is it all or nothing?

Shouldn't matter, IMAP usually only syncs headers, and pulls the body of the message only when it is opened/read.

B

apple junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 09:56 PM
Hi all,

I for one have been waiting for IMAP to come to gmail. However, I am having second thoughts to make the change now it has become available (not yet for me, but I guess soon). My understanding of the benefit of IMAP is that is syncs your mail in both your mail.app in iphone or mac to the one in gmail. However, this doesn't allow me to back up large amounts of mail on the gmail server if I delete them off my mac to save space. Right now, whatever I read from my mail.app goes into the archive folder in gmail which seems to serve me just fine. If I use IMAP (which I am seriously considering cos of the syncing),is there another way I can still back up my email in gmail server even after I delete them from my mail.app? hmmm... decisions, decisions... advice anyone? :confused::confused:apple:

ibook G4 1.2Ghz 768MB RAM
Ipod 30GB 5G White

Where's the new aluminium macbooks?!!!

Bernie-Mac
Oct 25, 2007, 10:37 PM
I got the imap option on my gmail but it isnt working on my iphone, something about it cant connect with ssl:confused:

ncsmith4
Oct 25, 2007, 10:58 PM
Ok, so I got IMAP, and its working alright... Heres the problem though:

Isnt it supposed to sync up when I read messages? When I read a message on the iPhone, it shows up as read in Gmail but NOT Mail (MacBook Pro).

When I delete on iPhone, it does delete it from Mail. But it wont show them as read, when they are read both in Gmail and on iPhone.

I dont get it. Anyone?

furthur
Oct 25, 2007, 11:19 PM

This, to me, is the best part of the move to IMAP. I'm no longer getting that annoying message when I try to open an e-mail with an attachment - the one that says "This message has not downloaded for the server."

No more.

The guy who called this the best update yet for the iPhone? Right on, bro!

AndyR
Oct 26, 2007, 01:58 AM
I managed to copy all of mail of my Mac onto the Gmail IMAP effectivly so I have a backup. Worked great and only took a few hours, but not trying to do anything is so dam slow! Gone back to my old account for the time being still it speeds up a bit.

talktozachary
Oct 26, 2007, 02:00 AM
I was using POP GMail on Apple Mail and on my iPhone and I would get those annoying sent messages in my iPhone Inbox. I've been accustomed to that since my Blackberry days, but now I don't have an Inbox filled with sent items!

I wasn't really too familiar with the differences between IMAP and POP, but after a slightly annoying start I have it configured perfectly and am just realizing how great this system will be.

I have a little over 3000 messages on the GMail server which really never got touched because they would all be sent via POP to Apple Mail (and later to my phones). Because of this, they all sat in the server's inbox all marked as unread. As you can probably guess, when I converted my iPhone and Apple Mail to IMAP I got hundreds of messages at a time streaming into my Apple Mail Inbox. I also got old messages sent to my iPhone Inbox as I was trying to delete my way through them on Apple Mail.

Once I finally deleted them all through (after checking the GMail website and freaking out that it was permanently deleting all of my messages - it wasn't), and marking all of my messages as read, I got everything settled. This process took some time as all of the messages came in spurts of a few hundred at a time and would slow up my computer with the constant processing and downloading.

Now if I receive a message and check it off on my Mac, it will automatically remove it from the Inbox on my iPhone (or vice versa)! Both the Mac and iPhone now have special "GMail" mailboxes which are synced to the server, so I can still access any message I want from either device. If I send a message from my Mac, I can view it later on my iPhone by tapping the 'Sent' mailbox in the GMail server section.

This is an awesome and unexpected update to my iPhone. This really makes up for there not being PUSH for GMail, the addition of which, however, would just make it even better. This is how the Mail app should have worked from the start.

chewy5000
Oct 26, 2007, 07:26 AM
My gmail has gone to 4 gig +

Has this happened to anyone else?

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2007, 07:30 AM
:( I'm still waiting for my IMAP to be "turned on." And I thought the wait for Leopard was bad... :p lol. :apple:

Now Google is saying it will take about a week to have everyone setup on IMAP.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=troubleshooter.cs&problem=bugflow&selected=bugflow_imap12

Angelo921
Oct 26, 2007, 07:32 AM
Just got mine. Joy!

B

The ones of you who noticed that IMAP is now available in your account, did you have to logout and log back in to see that or were you logged in and then clicked on the settings and it was just there?

chewy5000
Oct 26, 2007, 07:35 AM
The ones of you who noticed that IMAP is now available in your account, did you have to logout and log back in to see that or were you logged in and then clicked on the settings and it was just there?

It was just there when i first checked

balamw
Oct 26, 2007, 07:45 AM

I logged out/in.

B

GeekAhead
Oct 26, 2007, 07:53 AM
I still havent recieved the new tab or section under the fowarding tap =/

Any ideas wat i should do... I've going crazy with outlook and iphone to get it to sync correctly HELPP Please

byakuya
Oct 26, 2007, 08:17 AM
I still havent recieved the new tab or section under the fowarding tap =/

Any ideas wat i should do... I've going crazy with outlook and iphone to get it to sync correctly HELPP Please

hmm...i guess there is nothing you can do about it but wait...
I remember reading an official statement of google that the imap integration might take up to a week for all the accounts.

byakuya

pacohaas
Oct 26, 2007, 09:02 AM
at least one of my accounts has it finally, adding it to my iPhone now...seems to work well. Only thing I noticed is that using an IMAP Path Prefix of [Gmail] makes it so your label's don't show up on the iPhone unless your labels include [Gmail]. That's good for stuff like Gspace files, but bad if you have to change all your labels and rules to get "folders" to show on the iPhone correctly.

Still waiting for my main account...

Zolk
Oct 26, 2007, 09:08 AM
Now Google is saying it will take about a week to have everyone setup on IMAP.

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=troubleshooter.cs&problem=bugflow&selected=bugflow_imap12
So much for "a couple of days (http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2007/10/sync-your-inbox-across-devices-with.html)." :rolleyes:

jaesk8er
Oct 26, 2007, 09:33 AM
I love IMAP but when ever I try to send a message out from my iPhone it says

"Check the account settings for the outgoing server "smtp.gmail.com""

I am stumped I check and rechecked the outgoing sever name and password a few times. I can receive all my emails via this account but nothing outgoing. I thought it could be settings on gmail but I can send outgoing on my Mac w/ the Mail application. Also on the gmail site it tells me to look at the advanced settings but in my advanced settings it doesn't have the server port number. Is this because I don't have 1.1.1 for my iPhone?

And you're done. You can verify your Advanced settings by tapping Settings
> [your Gmail IMAP Account] > Advanced.

Incoming Settings
Use SSL: ON
Authentication: password
Server Port: 993 <------------------I don't have this in my advanced settings

Outgoing Settings
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587 <------------------I don't have this in my advanced settings

Anyone have any ideas I can try?

shadowfax
Oct 26, 2007, 12:43 PM
jaesk8er, set up your gmail IMAP account in Mail.app on your Mac, you should be able to change those settings on it. Then, sync your mail account with your iPhone.

Good Luck.

hxe3333
Oct 26, 2007, 01:42 PM
I have been using Yahoo IMAP and found it much better than pop, so I was happy when I got my gmail account imap option.

I tried it, but I don't quite get gmail's "labels". It seems to be different from folders in Yahoo. When I'm on Yahoo, if I move from Inbox to "XXX" folder, then it just moves. For gmail, if I "label" them, it just copys to the label folder (?), so it stays in inbox.

This is kind of annoying. When I move email from inbox to another folder (or label in gmail), I want to keep them in separate for later reference, but don't want to see in my inbox. If I erase from inbox, then the one in "label" disappears too, so literally I just "label" the email instead of move to another folder. And this behavior seems to be inconsistent among Mail.app, online gmail, and iPhone.

Maybe there is setting I'm not aware of. Let me know

pacohaas
Oct 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
hxe3333: moving the message to "All Mail" will remove it from the Inbox and archive it. This should also leave the message with whatever labels you have already given it. You'll also probably want to review the advanced settings to look at the folder mappings for Trash, Drafts, and Sent Items and set them up to your liking.

hxe3333
Oct 26, 2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for reply.

I made a folder called "abc" under [Gmail] (white folder) in Mail.app where as all the folders (labels) I made on online gmail appears as blue folder parallel to the white [Gmail] folder in Mail.app. The "abc" appears in online gmail as [gmail]/abc under labels. Moving a message from inbox to "abc" folder in Mail.app or iPhone successfully moves from one to another and there is no message left in inbox after all. However I feel the sync on Mail.app or iPhone of this "abc" fold is extremely slow compared to inbox. Is this because all the messages directly under [Gmail] path is achieved unlike inbox?

numlock
Oct 26, 2007, 03:30 PM
Im a bit dissapointed that gmail ignores the replied, forwarded icons (or is it impossible that they keep their place?)

Is there anyway to have the "all mail" folder not synced with its gmail counterpart?

I dont really delte from my inbox/sent and therefore dont want to store two copies of every message on my computer/iphone

or am is missing something?

pacohaas
Oct 26, 2007, 03:34 PM
Im a bit dissapointed that gmail ignores the replied, forwarded icons (or is it impossible that they keep their place?)

Is there anyway to have the "all mail" folder not synced with its gmail counterpart?

I dont really delte from my inbox/sent and therefore dont want to store two copies of every message on my computer/iphone

or am is missing something?
I don't understand exactly what you're asking, but you can set up the mappings so that your Deleted Mailbox goes into All Mail. This would set it up like the old gmail(before they added the Delete button). Whenever you trashed a message on the iPhone for example, it would be archived rather than deleted.

numlock
Oct 26, 2007, 03:56 PM
I don't understand exactly what you're asking, but you can set up the mappings so that your Deleted Mailbox goes into All Mail. This would set it up like the old gmail(before they added the Delete button). Whenever you trashed a message on the iPhone for example, it would be archived rather than deleted.

ok on the gmail website all mail (going in or out) is copied to my all mail folder.

I set up imap in mail.app. Synced/mapped sent, drafts and trash.

In the gmail imap folder that arrives in mail.app all mail is there fully synced with all mail on the gmail website.

That means i got two copies of everything in my inbox and two copies of everything in my sentbox in mail.app.

i dont care if gmail copies all my activity to the all mail folder but i dont want it represented in mail.app

pacohaas
Oct 26, 2007, 04:05 PM
All Mail is just that...all mail in your account. Gmail uses labels for everything else, so the Inbox "folder" is just a label and moving it out of there into All mail just removes the label, it doesn't delete the copy since there is no copy. Sent mail is the same way, there is a "Sent Mail" label that gets applied to all your sent messages. Without the All Mail folder, you won't have any messages since that's where the email truly resides. The Inbox and Sent Messages are just labels that make it easier for you to manage messages.

numlock
Oct 26, 2007, 04:12 PM
All Mail is just that...all mail in your account. Gmail uses labels for everything else, so the Inbox "folder" is just a label and moving it out of there into All mail just removes the label, it doesn't delete the copy since there is no copy. Sent mail is the same way, there is a "Sent Mail" label that gets applied to all your sent messages. Without the All Mail folder, you won't have any messages since that's where the email truly resides. The Inbox and Sent Messages are just labels that make it easier for you to manage messages.

on the gmail website yes but mail dosent deal with labels right it deals with folders?

pacohaas
Oct 26, 2007, 04:28 PM
on the gmail website yes but mail dosent deal with labels right it deals with folders?

when using IMAP, mail maps Gmail's labels to "folders". The actions you take (moving, copying) in Mail are the equivalent of changing and removing labels, that's how it syncs whatever changes you make in Mail with the website version.

Ronnoco
Oct 26, 2007, 05:04 PM
Got my IMAP enabled today...:D
Pretty easy to set up...works well on both my iPhone and my PB...

ghall
Oct 26, 2007, 06:37 PM
Still waiting for my IMAP to be activated. Figures. If I had no use for IMAP, my account probably would have been one of the first to be activated.

What's taking so long anyway? Why can't they just turn all accounts on at the same time?

skoone
Oct 26, 2007, 07:22 PM
ghall--

Same situation here.. Been waiting for days and no imap here either. I'm beginning to think it's a hoax and a fluke and everyone is just pulling our leg.

dwl017
Oct 26, 2007, 09:57 PM
My gmail has gone to 4 gig +

Has this happened to anyone else?

Yep I got my 4gig + also not bad for a free email service :D

dwl017
Oct 26, 2007, 10:13 PM
ghall--

Same situation here.. Been waiting for days and no imap here either. I'm beginning to think it's a hoax and a fluke and everyone is just pulling our leg.

Its not a hoax I just set mine up on Apple Mail and it works great! :)

chopper dave
Oct 26, 2007, 10:51 PM
I have been a little frustrated, like some other posters, in figuring out exactly how gmail responds to certain mail actions, especially deletion. This article pretty much clears everything up. I know it's focused on Thunderbird, but most of it is applicable to any modern mail client.

http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/turn-thunderbird-into-the-ultimate-gmail-imap-client-314574.php

Most important for me to find out was that the "delete" action only removes all label tags. In order to actually delete a message you need to first move it to the trash folder.

Farani
Oct 26, 2007, 10:53 PM
Still waiting for my IMAP to be activated. Figures. If I had no use for IMAP, my account probably would have been one of the first to be activated.

What's taking so long anyway? Why can't they just turn all accounts on at the same time?

haha i feel the same way. I've been checking like 4 times a day to see if they activated it for me yet. I need it for apple mail and my iphone; my gmail account on my browser is loaded but neither of the other 2 are.

applehappy
Oct 26, 2007, 11:15 PM

I noticed that after I enabled IMAP from my mac, when I looked at gmail options a day later from my iphone it didn't show the IMAP option, but then when checked from my mac it was there again.

chiefillini
Oct 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
haha i feel the same way. I've been checking like 4 times a day to see if they activated it for me yet. I need it for apple mail and my iphone; my gmail account on my browser is loaded but neither of the other 2 are.

Still not active here either. damn gmail.

ravenvii
Oct 26, 2007, 11:45 PM
Still no IMAP for me either. :(

infamous
Oct 27, 2007, 12:14 AM
Still waiting...:mad:

thestaton
Oct 27, 2007, 08:04 AM
Still waiting...:mad:

x2.

Nomadic Logic
Oct 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
Is there any way to auto-synchronize the All Mail folder under Gmail?

I can send and receive, and I have all 27500+ headers in my all mail folder, but new mail doesn't show up in there unless I manually synchronize.

jediistar
Oct 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
x2.

x3, 1 account yes, primary account no...

chriswheat
Oct 27, 2007, 01:54 PM
Seriously...what is their roll-out plan? My primary account (which I've had since the early days of invites) does not have IMAP but two of my secondary accounts, which are relatively new have it available? I'm normally very patient, but this is driving me nuts.

chrissurra
Oct 27, 2007, 06:01 PM
Got mine yesterday, works amazingly with the new mail and the iphone. Four gb of space and imap makes me happy.

True Tao
Oct 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
Does anyone know how often gmail checks pop accounts under it's "get other mail" feature? Thanks

riverfreak
Oct 27, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hi all,

I for one have been waiting for IMAP to come to gmail. However, I am having second thoughts to make the change now it has become available (not yet for me, but I guess soon). My understanding of the benefit of IMAP is that is syncs your mail in both your mail.app in iphone or mac to the one in gmail. However, this doesn't allow me to back up large amounts of mail on the gmail server if I delete them off my mac to save space. Right now, whatever I read from my mail.app goes into the archive folder in gmail which seems to serve me just fine. If I use IMAP (which I am seriously considering cos of the syncing),is there another way I can still back up my email in gmail server even after I delete them from my mail.app? hmmm... decisions, decisions... advice anyone? :confused::confused:apple:

Why not just keep all your mail on your laptop, too? Mail hardly takes up any space at all. I have literally 100s of thousands of emails in my mail.app. I finally decided to start deleting things, figuring that if something hasn't been dealt with in > 6 months, it isn't going to be...

Not a solution to your dilemma, I realize. How about this? Archive your mail in Mail.app. Burn the mbox file to a DVD. Then delete the Mail from mail.app. Alternatively, you can archive messages via the GMail web interface.

Edit: Better yet, just use the new "Archive Mailbox" option under the Mailbox menu of Mail.app.

SkyRyders90
Oct 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
I'm seeing a weird problem - when I compose a new email using Mail.app, it seems as though the intermediate saves it does (every 5 or 6 words it seems to be saving the message, like a draft or something) ends up in Gmail as another note. So in sending one email in Mail.app shows up as 7 or 8 or more individual messages on the web Gmail, each one with a few more words than the last.

Anyone seeing this behavior?

ibanana
Oct 28, 2007, 01:26 PM
still waiting for my IMAP to be activated. not sure how long will it takes.

AndyR
Oct 28, 2007, 02:03 PM
Really weird this. Mine was set as POP for like 3 years now and the other day I just changed the server details to IMAP and it worked great as IMAP should. Then this morning no mail would work and in GMAIL I still don't have the IMAP account.

Weird how it worked yesterday but not today.

Alloye
Oct 28, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm seeing a weird problem - when I compose a new email using Mail.app, it seems as though the intermediate saves it does (every 5 or 6 words it seems to be saving the message, like a draft or something) ends up in Gmail as another note. So in sending one email in Mail.app shows up as 7 or 8 or more individual messages on the web Gmail, each one with a few more words than the last.

Anyone seeing this behavior?

Yes. The first message I composed in Mail.app had 18 fragments in Gmail. :(

SkyRyders90
Oct 28, 2007, 06:56 PM
Yes. The first message I composed in Mail.app had 18 fragments in Gmail. :(

Ugh. Anyone know if this is expected behavior? A bug?

infamous
Oct 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
x3, 1 account yes, primary account no...

sucks... funny how that works.

michaelsviews
Oct 29, 2007, 06:51 AM
Seriously...what is their roll-out plan? My primary account (which I've had since the early days of invites) does not have IMAP but two of my secondary accounts, which are relatively new have it available? I'm normally very patient, but this is driving me nuts.

Damm someone else in the same boat as me, my original acct from a long time ago does not have the imap but the other two accts do, Hey maybe when they first started gmail there were servers in a janitors closet and they forgot about them. ROFLMAO :eek:

It will happen when it happens and the only thing you can do is WAIT and WAIT.

I'm contemplating just getting a .mac acct and going with that and forward all my emails to that.

Only problem I see is that when something comes in from acct 1 to .mac I want to respond from acct 1 and NOT from the .mac acct, have not figured that out yet.

cardsdoc
Oct 29, 2007, 09:15 AM
Damm someone else in the same boat as me, my original acct from a long time ago does not have the imap but the other two accts do, Hey maybe when they first started gmail there were servers in a janitors closet and they forgot about them. ROFLMAO :eek:

Still a no go for me too. It's now been more than 5 days! WTF!

SirCrumpet
Oct 29, 2007, 09:33 AM
yeah, I dont have it yet either :(

AndyR
Oct 29, 2007, 09:42 AM
I'm contemplating just getting a .mac acct and going with that and forward all my emails to that.

If you just want IMAP mail get an account from 1and1.com. My IMAP account with them is only 9 p.a and its typical it got auto renewed last week just before Google announced IMAP was out.

Still not on my original account either....

kaidoy021
Oct 29, 2007, 10:37 AM
My imaps settings came up this morning in my gmail. Finally!! :)

fiaz2468
Oct 29, 2007, 10:53 AM
Same here. Still not got it yet. What is going on???

pacohaas
Oct 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ugh. Anyone know if this is expected behavior? A bug?

Did you guys make sure to map your drafts folder to the Gmail drafts folder? I've seen that I can save a message on my iPhone in the middle of typing it, go onto webmail and continue writing it there from the drafts "folder", save it there and go to thunderbird and continue there, then go back and send the completed message from anywhere.

also, my primary account still doesn't have IMAP enabled....

SkyRyders90
Oct 29, 2007, 11:42 AM
Did you guys make sure to map your drafts folder to the Gmail drafts folder? I've seen that I can save a message on my iPhone in the middle of typing it, go onto webmail and continue writing it there from the drafts "folder", save it there and go to thunderbird and continue there, then go back and send the completed message from anywhere.

also, my primary account still doesn't have IMAP enabled....

I have "Store draft messages on the server" checked - does that do it? Actually, now that I think about it, I can see how this might be the root of the problem. I just turned it off - will see if that stops the behavior.

jaesk8er
Oct 29, 2007, 12:04 PM
I love IMAP but when ever I try to send a message out from my iPhone it says

"Check the account settings for the outgoing server "smtp.gmail.com""

I am stumped I check and rechecked the outgoing sever name and password a few times. I can receive all my emails via this account but nothing outgoing. I thought it could be settings on gmail but I can send outgoing on my Mac w/ the Mail application. Also on the gmail site it tells me to look at the advanced settings but in my advanced settings it doesn't have the server port number. Is this because I don't have 1.1.1 for my iPhone?

And you're done. You can verify your Advanced settings by tapping Settings
> [your Gmail IMAP Account] > Advanced.

Incoming Settings
Authentication: password
Server Port: 993 <------------------I don't have this in my advanced settings

Outgoing Settings
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587 <------------------I don't have this in my advanced settings

Anyone have any ideas I can try?

UPDATE:
Since My Last Post
I have upgraded to 1.1.1 and unlocked it and loaded all the apps from apptapp with no problems.

I assume this problem was caused by 1.0.2 and now with 1.1.1 it works fine.

meagain
Oct 29, 2007, 12:25 PM
Jaesk - I get the same error. My phone is 1.0.2 with the newer Installer on it. I'll upgrade to 1.1.1 when I can sort out how to do it.

chriswheat
Oct 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
try setting the server to 'hostname':'port'

i.e. smtp.gmail.com:587

Eluzion
Oct 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
Ahh still no IMAP! Lol I've probably logged into Gmail about 300+ times since last Tuesday.

chriswheat
Oct 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
Ahh still no IMAP! Lol I've probably logged into Gmail about 300+ times since last Tuesday.

Me too. You're killing me, GMail.

mhuk01
Oct 29, 2007, 12:56 PM
Me too. You're killing me, GMail.

me too...

jsetliffe
Oct 29, 2007, 02:16 PM
Same here

fishballer
Oct 29, 2007, 02:22 PM
IMAP, oh IMAP where art thou?

me want to love you long time.

(sorry, going IMAPless crazy here)

jediistar
Oct 29, 2007, 03:04 PM

I think its beginning to get to 300 daily!

Angelo921
Oct 29, 2007, 03:07 PM

WIll we have to logout and log back in to get the IMAP whens its given on our account or cant we just go to the settings and see it?

Resevdog
Oct 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
Well, finally on Friday, my original gmail account that I've had since the beginning went to imap. I logged in after lunch and it was still pop. 10 minutes later I went to check my email and just out of curiousity I clicked 'settings' and OMG, there were those sweet little 4 letters. Setup the iphone account and 3 minutes later I was mirrored.

I then decided to setup a 'business' email address. Signed up. Linked it to my existing account. But surprisingly, the new account is still not IMAP. :confused:

Angelo921
Oct 29, 2007, 03:46 PM
Well, finally on Friday, my original gmail account that I've had since the beginning went to imap. I logged in after lunch and it was still pop. 10 minutes later I went to check my email and just out of curiousity I clicked 'settings' and OMG, there were those sweet little 4 letters. Setup the iphone account and 3 minutes later I was mirrored.

I then decided to setup a 'business' email address. Signed up. Linked it to my existing account. But surprisingly, the new account is still not IMAP. :confused:

So you did not logout from the time you saw it was pop to the 10 minutes later that you checked your email and clicked on the settings tab and it showed IMAP? The reason I ask this so I dont waste my time logging out and logging back in checking.

thanks

gswilder
Oct 29, 2007, 07:42 PM
I have 5 gmail acccounts for myself and my family. My original gmail account which is the oldest still does NOT have IMAP enabled. However, all of my 4 newer accounts for the family do. I wonder if they are going in reverse order of account setup? My original one was where you had to get the special invite to setup an account.

Hopefully soon on my account. Want to get my iPhone sync'd up properly.

mashinhead
Oct 29, 2007, 09:12 PM
I think i have most of my imap vs pop questions answered, but i want to know how imap handles junk mail. right now mail does that for me, so do i have to configure gmail to do this if i switch everything to imap?

dreamsINdigital
Oct 29, 2007, 09:16 PM
I think i have most of my imap vs pop questions answered, but i want to know how imap handles junk mail. right now mail does that for me, so do i have to configure gmail to do this if i switch everything to imap?

Your junk mail is downloaded into Mail. Mail's junk filter can still be used to catch anything Gmail misses. You can use Mail's junk mailbox to sort the Gmail junk mail by following this: http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

mashinhead
Oct 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
Your junk mail is downloaded into Mail. Mail's junk filter can still be used to catch anything Gmail misses. You can use Mail's junk mailbox to sort the Gmail junk mail by following this: http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

isn't that for pop? i thought imap didn't dl anything. anyway imap is giving me problems. its' slow to load and basically i have 4000 gmail messages that are marked as new, because they are just dl because i've been using pop all this time. What's happening is that i'm just grabbing them all and marking them as read. when that happens it just loads the next 250 unread email and doesn't show me the recent ones?

actually it is showing me the recent mail but only from oct 2 back? it actually shows all the same mail i saw before i didn't reflect that i marked them all as new. it just loads the same info and if i mark it as read or tell mail to sort by earliest mail it just doesn't take action. if it select another inbox, not gmail, from another account and go back to gmail nothing shows up, for a while, then it loads the same messages i took and action on as if i didn't take it.

QuarterSwede
Oct 29, 2007, 09:43 PM

It will happen when it happens and the only thing you can do is WAIT and WAIT.

Only problem I see is that when something comes in from acct 1 to .mac I want to respond from acct 1 and NOT from the .mac acct, have not figured that out yet.
Same here. I've also had my gmail account (primary) from almost the beginning and don't have the option. My wife, whose had it for ... a year maybe had it the first time she looked! I guess the longer you've had it the longer you wait for IMAP.

me want to love you long time.
Hahaha, nice!

mashinhead
Oct 29, 2007, 09:53 PM
man my mail is all kinds of messed up now and all the junk mail that was stored on the google server is now in my apple mail. i knew this would happen. Please tell me how to manage junk with IMAP.

furthermore i left my pop gmail account settings on in mail and then created and imap setting on top of that and the imap is showing up in both accounts? why is this so difficult to work properly, jeez i have two computers and a phone and all i want is to not have to look at every email 3 effing times.

also, unrelated there are email sent from my gmail account on behalf of viagra???

ingenious
Oct 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
ugh.

still.
no.
gmail.
with.
IMAP!:mad:

oh, well. they said it could take a week.:p

(i really want it now.)

mashinhead
Oct 29, 2007, 10:14 PM

you would have to set up the other accounts in mail with correct outgoing mail info but not the correct incoming mail info. and then when you click send or replly the new mail will come up and there is drop down menu where you can select which account you want to use.

Eluzion
Oct 30, 2007, 01:05 AM
Still no IMAP! I made a new account to see if maybe my computer was possessed but the new account had IMAP! However, the one I need IMAP on still hasn't received any love. I'm going crazy here... hehe ;)

SRSound
Oct 30, 2007, 01:48 AM
Still no IMAP! I made a new account to see if maybe my computer was possessed but the new account had IMAP! However, the one I need IMAP on still hasn't received any love. I'm going crazy here... hehe ;)

me too - every account i dont need it for has it except the ONE i want it on!

AndyR
Oct 30, 2007, 05:36 AM
Still not on mine but if I change the account settings to English US from UK then IMAP comes enabled?!?!?!?! If I change back to UK it is no longer there.

What the :confused:

ahmed.hassan
Oct 30, 2007, 07:08 AM
I have two accounts, one about 2/3 years old, and one 8 months. Neither have IMAP enabled, as far as I can see.

chriswheat
Oct 30, 2007, 08:40 AM
Still not on mine but if I change the account settings to English US from UK then IMAP comes enabled?!?!?!?! If I change back to UK it is no longer there.

What the :confused:

That is always the case with new Google features. They always test them under the English US interface first then move it out to other regions. You are lucky that you have IMAP at all...mine is set to English US and I don't have it.

FunkyJunk
Oct 30, 2007, 09:19 AM
What is the first letter of the email addresses you guys aren't getting IMAP on? Perhaps they're rolling it out alphabetically?

I got IMAP the first day and my address starts with a C.

chriswheat
Oct 30, 2007, 09:28 AM
my address starts with a c as well. still no IMAP.

Resevdog
Oct 30, 2007, 09:52 AM
So you did not logout from the time you saw it was pop to the 10 minutes later that you checked your email and clicked on the settings tab and it showed IMAP? The reason I ask this so I dont waste my time logging out and logging back in checking.

thanks

Honestly, I don't remember if I logged out/in again. I have the Google bar which keeps you logged in unless you log out and I just don't remember. All I remember is it was a short period of time between POP--> IMAP.

FunkyJunk
Oct 30, 2007, 09:54 AM
my address starts with a c as well. still no IMAP.

So much for that theory.

Eluzion
Oct 30, 2007, 10:11 AM
So much for that theory.

It was a good theory. ;)

Hopefully today is the day IMAP becomes available!

pacohaas
Oct 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
So much for that theory.

yeah, I have XXXXXX24@gmail.com, XXXXXX25@gmail.com, XXXXXX26@gmail.com. the 26 one doesn't have it yet, but the other two do...very annoying, but hey we've waited this long and survived with no IMAP, right?

MotionxxUSxx
Oct 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
There have been no server updates in the last 2 days. They must have found a bug or something and are trying to fix it before upgrading the last few servers.

Eluzion
Oct 30, 2007, 02:21 PM
There have been no server updates in the last 2 days. They must have found a bug or something and are trying to fix it before upgrading the last few servers.

It was just the weekend too. Does Google work on Sat/Sun? :) Hopefully.

michaelsviews
Oct 30, 2007, 02:31 PM
you would have to set up the other accounts in mail with correct outgoing mail info but not the correct incoming mail info. and then when you click send or replly the new mail will come up and there is drop down menu where you can select which account you want to use.

R u referring to using IMAIL and doing this or through the iphone. ?

AHDuke99
Oct 30, 2007, 02:48 PM
mine starts with an a and i dont have imap either. and its a 3 year old account. so it doesnt appear as if the initial adopters are getting priority. i guess i'll be one of the last to get it. i so wish i had it for my iphone and the ability to use apple mail.

mashinhead
Oct 30, 2007, 02:49 PM
R u referring to using IMAIL and doing this or through the iphone. ?

set it up in mail and sync it to your phone

B-Ri
Oct 30, 2007, 03:18 PM
my one account i almost never used has had it since day 1, my main account doesnt have it at allll! Hurry google!

thestaton
Oct 30, 2007, 03:29 PM
still no luck on my end either. wtf!

mashinhead
Oct 30, 2007, 03:45 PM
well just so you all know it automatically enable imap. so if you can probably just set it up and you'll know you have it when it shows up

Eluzion
Oct 30, 2007, 04:31 PM
Has anyone had IMAP activated today? I was hoping today was the day, but still nothing. ;(

chriswheat
Oct 30, 2007, 04:32 PM
Nothing here either. It seems as if no one has had it newly activated in the past few days.

AHDuke99
Oct 30, 2007, 04:38 PM
the google is too busy making a phone to care about our IMAP mail complaints. c'mon! my iphones needs IMAP!

infamous
Oct 30, 2007, 05:28 PM
:eek:FINALLY!!:rolleyes:

emanaydin
Oct 30, 2007, 06:20 PM
beautiful! i used to hate mail app on my iphone but now that it syncs correctly and everything, its beauty. I love sending and receiving email on it now :)

Eluzion
Oct 30, 2007, 06:49 PM
:eek:FINALLY!!:rolleyes:

You bastard! Did it just get activated today? I've seriously been sitting here most of the day logging in and out of Gmail, lol.

Eluzion
Oct 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
God damnit!!! The email account I don't need IMAP on just got IMAP access.

Stop teasing me Google! ;) Both of my accounts were created around the same time frame though.

MotionxxUSxx
Oct 30, 2007, 07:33 PM
Got access this evening around 5PM eastern. I had set up the imap on my iphone a few days ago and I looked this evening at that account and there were all the emails. It seems that they activated the imap on the gmail website automatically. Good luck to all who are still waiting.

jediistar
Oct 30, 2007, 07:59 PM
Fully active and working on the iphone!

mashinhead
Oct 30, 2007, 08:17 PM
Fully active and working on the iphone!

so are you just using it on the iphone or on your computer as well? i'm having so many problems getting it to work how i want throught apple mail. i can delete things, i can't create new folders and move things around.

VaMac
Oct 30, 2007, 08:20 PM
YaY I got my IMap today too.

ravenvii
Oct 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
WHOA, say it ain't so! I finally got IMAP on my account!

Of course, I went right to setting my iPhone up.

And naturally, ran into the same problems as the posters in this thread.

And so I go and read forth...

Ok, still having a odd problem...

I mapped my iPhone's folders to the corresponding Gmail folders (drafts, sent and trash). When I delete a message in the inbox, it correctly goes to the trash. On the web interface, it's in the trash, so good so far. BUT, if I delete that email from the trash on iPhone, it doesn't get deleted on the web interface! (But if I delete it in the web interface, it does go away on the iPhone)

Anyone else having this problem?

And another thing I noticed with the iPhone... it doesn't vibrate when receiving email with IMAP! What gives?!

ingenious
Oct 30, 2007, 09:41 PM
I just got it (and after unarchiving all of my messages... thankfully only 16500 or so [heh] in GMail) I'm redownloading everthing.

Man, I am so in love with IMAP right now! :D

(everything's already marked as read! okay, so one wasn't, but it's so much better than the two or three times GMail POP just stopped working and I had to redownload everything!)

ingenious
Oct 30, 2007, 09:46 PM
...I mapped my iPhone's folders to the corresponding Gmail folders ...

Okay, so is there anyway to do that in Leopard Mail so I don't have multiple junk folders and have to see the GMail folder on my sidebar?

(I just want it to appear under the inbox like it did with POP)

dreamsINdigital
Oct 30, 2007, 09:54 PM
Okay, so is there anyway to do that in Leopard Mail so I don't have multiple junk folders and have to see the GMail folder on my sidebar?

(I just want it to appear under the inbox like it did with POP)
http://5thirtyone.com/archives/862

cardsdoc
Oct 30, 2007, 09:57 PM
Mine came online early this evening. Finally!

chriswheat
Oct 30, 2007, 10:05 PM
I just don't get it. I still don't have it. Am I alone?

shadowfax
Oct 30, 2007, 10:23 PM
Sweet! Finally got it tonight.... one week to the day. Gimpy, but good that it's here. I have been uploading TONS of mail to the server at 2-10 KB/s (that's 16-80kbps in classic internet bits). It's so nice to have it all in one place, with a server-side junk mail filter, so that I don't have to put up with (much) junk mail on the iPhone.

I'd say "hooray," but Google deserves no pat on the back... more like "FINALLY! WHY THE HECK DIDN'T YOU DO THIS YEARS AGO?!"

SRSound
Oct 30, 2007, 10:28 PM
Finallllllly

Angelo921
Oct 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
I dont have IMAP yet either.

Eluzion
Oct 30, 2007, 11:14 PM
I dont have IMAP yet either.

Still no IMAP on the account I need it on. =( haha this sucks! I'm sure Google is asleep by now too. ;P

sjsutton
Oct 31, 2007, 06:05 AM
IMAP was turned on for me only last night. It was worth the wait!

drewfus
Oct 31, 2007, 08:21 AM
woo hoo, finally! Took a while to get all my mail, but well worth it.

wwooden
Oct 31, 2007, 08:54 AM
Mine just updated today, outlook at work is taking a while to load up but I can't wait until I have this working. For the last year I have had to deal with having some of my emails on my work computer and some at home and the only way to access ones not available was through gmail.com. This makes me very happy. Thanks Google!

pacohaas
Oct 31, 2007, 09:36 AM
IMAP was turned on for me only last night. It was worth the wait!

still waiting...

chriswg
Oct 31, 2007, 09:44 AM
Well it looks like I'm going to be the last person on Earth to get IMAP activated. The wait continues...

chriswheat
Oct 31, 2007, 10:05 AM
I'm still waiting too...everyone I know has it, my secondary accounts have it, but I'm still waiting for it to come to my primary account.

The sad thing is, out of all my friends who have it, they have no desire to use it, and I have no desire to use it on my secondary accounts.

C'mon GMail, roll it out to the people who want it!

YoMamasPyjamas
Oct 31, 2007, 01:54 PM
Count me among the minions who have had Gmail for a long time as my primary account (3+ years) and have still not seen the IMAP function under settings. So I decided to start a new Gmail account just to try it out, and voila - IMAP was instantly enabled. Ridiculous, and in my opinion, there is no excuse for this.

On a different note - I now have my work emails being redirected to my "new" Gmail address b/c I feel this is a better option that using OWA to pull emails off the server. This is working great so far, but even though I set it up in Gmail Account Settings to "always reply from my default address (currently workemailaddress@workdomain.com)" instead of from the Gmail address, it only works if I reply to a message from my computer, and reverts to the Gmail address when replying from my iPhone. Any idea why this is happening, and how to fix it?

Or better yet, and idea for how to send and receive emails until Apple get it's exchange/active sync working like my old Blackberry?

Thanks!

Eluzion
Oct 31, 2007, 02:34 PM
Maybe today will be the day... ;)

Still waiting on IMAP.

aapl-ip
Oct 31, 2007, 03:57 PM
came through today for me, very useful

btw, don't know if this has been covered but the Gmail iPhone setup tutorial seems to suggest inputting "username@gmail.com" - just use "username"

Eluzion
Oct 31, 2007, 04:22 PM
Hurray! Finally got it.

fishballer
Oct 31, 2007, 04:23 PM
i got it!! i got it!!!

wow. was that anti-climatic or what?

Eluzion
Oct 31, 2007, 04:30 PM
Nevermind!

YoMamasPyjamas
Oct 31, 2007, 04:32 PM
weeeeee i got it...but any suggestions on the second part of my post?

Zolk
Oct 31, 2007, 04:43 PM
I just got it in the last few minutes as well, along with a friend's account.

Is there anyone out there who still doesn't have it or have they finally updated all the servers now?

chriswheat
Oct 31, 2007, 04:45 PM
Yep - I got it a little bit ago as well. Mail just automatically downloaded everything for me as soon as they enabled it.

Finally!

pacohaas
Oct 31, 2007, 04:56 PM
still waiting...

got it now.

chriswg
Oct 31, 2007, 05:07 PM
Is there anyone out there who still doesn't have it or have they finally updated all the servers now?

I still don't have it. This is awful. It's officially been a full week. Maybe Google picked a few special people, like me, that they will never give the gift of IMAP to. But it's nice to see that everyone else on here seems to have gotten it activated today.

Dunk the Lunk
Oct 31, 2007, 05:17 PM
Was just looking looking at the gmail forums and somebody mentioned by setting their language to english US it automatically changed. Tried it and low and behold it worked. Got my housemate to try it and it worked for him to....

michaelsviews
Nov 1, 2007, 06:02 AM
I still don't have it. This is awful. It's officially been a full week. Maybe Google picked a few special people, like me, that they will never give the gift of IMAP to. But it's nice to see that everyone else on here seems to have gotten it activated today.

My original acct just got it on Monday morning, but the other 2 accts I have had it immediately.

AndyR
Nov 1, 2007, 06:04 AM
Was just looking looking at the gmail forums and somebody mentioned by setting their language to english US it automatically changed. Tried it and low and behold it worked. Got my housemate to try it and it worked for him to....

Worked for me as well. Changed all my accounts to US now and they all have IMAP :rolleyes:

Angelo921
Nov 1, 2007, 06:54 AM

I think you will get it later this afternoon.

daneoni
Nov 1, 2007, 07:37 PM
Got mine last week (been a Gmail user for about 2 yrs now), works pretty well as IMAP technology goes. Its worth waiting for

fishballer
Nov 2, 2007, 10:06 AM
finally setup imap on my iphone.

quick question about the dang label/folders.

lets say i get an email in my inbox. I want to label it "x" and still keep it in my inbox. is it doable through the iphone? i could only move the email to the x folder, and it took it out of my inbox.

thanks.

pjuk
Nov 5, 2007, 03:35 AM
If you haven't got IMAP yet then check your language set-up under the gmail settings. For some strange reason my IMAP was not activated until I had selected English (US), rather my original setting of English (UK).