PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Air Student-Made iPod Touch Ad

boss1
Oct 26, 2007, 10:48 AM
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/26/home.brewed.ipod.touch.ad/

pretty cool story. If this kids career is in video production, his career just got a "rarely happens to anyone ever" up shot.

al256
Oct 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/10/26/home.brewed.ipod.touch.ad/

pretty cool story. If this kids career is in video production, his career just got a "rarely happens to anyone ever" up shot.

Wow, that's cool. I wish Apple would swoop me up for something... Who hasn't day dreamed about meeting Steve Jobs and maybe talking him into letting you look at least one prototype... lol.

boss1
Oct 26, 2007, 11:14 AM
Wow, that's cool. I wish Apple would swoop me up for something... Who hasn't day dreamed about meeting Steve Jobs and maybe talking him into letting you look at least one prototype... lol.

I've already emailed Steve and asked him for a million dollars a few weeks ago. I got no response so I'm just going to have to get rich by other means is all :)

gkarris
Oct 26, 2007, 11:23 AM
That's way cool Apple would do that.

I guess when you have creative products, then you have users with creative minds... :p

(ew, the Devil just put the image of a brown Zune in my mind...)

MacRumors
Oct 26, 2007, 03:48 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In an unusual move, Apple will be airing (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/business/media/26appleweb.html?ex=1351137600&en=63fd5eb855566342&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss) a new television ad that started as a student project, according to The New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/26/business/media/26appleweb.html). The new iPod touch ad will begin airing on Sunday.

The ad started as a student project created by 18 year old Nick Haley and posted to YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQUZPqDZb0). Haley was contacted by Apple's ad agency TBWA/Chiat/Day
“ ‘We represent Apple and we’ve seen what you have produced and we’d like a chat with you,’ ” Mr. Haley recalled, adding: “This seemed ridiculous and far-fetched. My initial reaction was, someone wanted to steal it.”

He was soon convinced that the message was real and came to Los Angeles this month, in his first visit to the United States, to work on a broadcast-ready version of his spot with creative executives at TBWA/Chiat/Day, part of the TBWA Worldwide division of the Omnicom Group.

The original version of the ad is a fast-paced tour of the iPod Touch set to the song "Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex" by CSS (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=162252578&s=143441&i=162253040). Haley was specifically inspired by the line in the song "My music is where I'd like you to touch."

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/26/apple-to-air-student-made-ipod-touch-ad/)

zioxide
Oct 26, 2007, 03:49 PM
just saw this on digg, it's awesome.

only thing it's missing is the "iPod + iTunes" before the apple logo

but definitely a good blend of the iPod ads and the iPhone ads.

MacinDoc
Oct 26, 2007, 03:52 PM
Just goes to show that Apple does pay attention to what people are posting on the Web.

(Edit: last post as a 6502.)

numlock
Oct 26, 2007, 03:52 PM
very apple like

dizastor
Oct 26, 2007, 03:53 PM
Wow. That makes the agency's job easy.
Surf youtube, buy ideas. Let's go home.

Great start in advertising for the kid though. Start at the top.

Jetson
Oct 26, 2007, 03:54 PM
Kinky... :eek:

psychofreak
This is a great way to make more people create ads for Apple...not only is it cool and quirky, but this is a fantastic marketing scheme...

ero87
not quite Page 1 material...

Much Ado
Oct 26, 2007, 03:55 PM
Just goes to show that Apple does pay attention to what people are posting on the Web.

Quick! Headless iMac! New Macbooks... ;)

xUKHCx
Pretty cool ad, perhaps a bit fast paced at points but the ending is brilliant.

Doctor Q
It's as good as, if not better than, some of Apple's own ads.

NewSc2
So the YouTube video is the original ad? Looks pretty broadcast-ready if you ask me.

MLeepson
Oct 26, 2007, 03:56 PM
That's amazing. That ad was really good. I'm happy for that guy.

gwangung
Oct 26, 2007, 03:59 PM

Viral marketing that's the hot new trend in modern advertising.

Given all the attention paid to other Apple advertising, I'd say that it rates.

Hairball
Oct 26, 2007, 04:00 PM

I disagree. By Apple using the ad, it is practicing what it has preached. Apple products allow you to be creative, and that is what this ad and usage has proved.

aricher
Oct 26, 2007, 04:00 PM
I like this ad better than any of the old iPhone ads. Shows product usefulness in a fast and easy to understand way.

billabong
Oct 26, 2007, 04:01 PM
That is very cool, lucky kid...

calculus
Oct 26, 2007, 04:02 PM
That's really very good. Great use of the CSS tune.

Darkroom
Oct 26, 2007, 04:06 PM
great ad!!! i love it! better than the current iPhone ads for sure... good job nick!

dotcomlarry
Oct 26, 2007, 04:10 PM
I disagree. By Apple using the ad, it is practicing what it has preached. Apple products allow you to be creative, and that is what this ad and usage has proved.

Oh, didn't you know he made it with Windows Movie Maker? :rolleyes:

ilogic
Oct 26, 2007, 04:14 PM
thats great, 18 years old and sharing his passion with the company he's passionate about... life cant start any better than that!...

actually...

kymac
Oct 26, 2007, 04:14 PM
wow.. seriously people.. it looked like it cut from one thing to another extremely fast.. and the fonts were HUGE. meh. whatever. i know apples would be a lot cleaner and professional.. but why are people saying it looks like ad material as it is?

ilogic
Oct 26, 2007, 04:15 PM
thats true.... is it TV worth..?

ChrisSamsa
Oct 26, 2007, 04:16 PM
I like this ad a lot. Props to that kid.

PlaceofDis
Oct 26, 2007, 04:18 PM
wow thats awesome news for the kid. he did a great job.

gloss
Oct 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
Very cool ad. I'm glad it got picked up. Much superior to the in-house ad that Steve showed at the debut.

andy721
Oct 26, 2007, 04:25 PM
Haley sounds like a big slore when she said "My music is where I'd like you to touch" But maybe thats just my opinion:rolleyes:

DMann
Oct 26, 2007, 04:29 PM
Damned good...... and costed much less than the previous ones.

DMann
Oct 26, 2007, 04:30 PM
Haley sounds like a big slore when she said "My music is where I'd like you to touch" But maybe thats just my opinion:rolleyes:

perhaps that is the point........

sw1tcher
Oct 26, 2007, 04:37 PM
Very good ad.

Yes, some of the transitions are a bit fast, but I'd say the overall feel of the ad is on par with what Apple has put out thus far.

And for those who will undoubtedly say it's not good, I'd like to see your Apple ad.

penter
Oct 26, 2007, 04:41 PM

I agree. It was... nice, though.

(Edit: last post as a 6502.)

Congratulations!

Im still just a regular...:o

RyanC
Oct 26, 2007, 04:44 PM
I think the kid made a spot that was basically a rip-off of what Apple already did with the newest nano spot mixed with the iPhone intro videos (finger swiping copy) and posted it. TBWA was possibly already working on this, and "involved" this kid only to avoid a lawsuit and/or the impression that they ripped off some kid.

Clever but not exceptionally creative on the kid's part. Just my two cents.

sanity
Oct 26, 2007, 04:51 PM
Loved it. The song selection and timing of the words really makes it.

bdj21ya
Oct 26, 2007, 05:06 PM
This is awesome. The American Dream, at its finest.

kymac
Oct 26, 2007, 05:07 PM
Clever but not exceptionally creative on the kid's part.

exactly. woohoo kid! you took apples content, imported it.. chopped it up into a bazillion, .278126 second frames.. and now youre getting money and fame from the exact same people who made the content you took.. congrats.

nickbates
Oct 26, 2007, 05:23 PM
wow.. seriously people.. it looked like it cut from one thing to another extremely fast.. and the fonts were HUGE. meh. whatever. i know apples would be a lot cleaner and professional.. but why are people saying it looks like ad material as it is?

I think the kid made a spot that was basically a rip-off of what Apple already did with the newest nano spot mixed with the iPhone intro videos (finger swiping copy) and posted it. TBWA was possibly already working on this, and "involved" this kid only to avoid a lawsuit and/or the impression that they ripped off some kid.

Clever but not exceptionally creative on the kid's part. Just my two cents.

exactly. woohoo kid! you took apples content, imported it.. chopped it up into a bazillion, .278126 second frames.. and now youre getting money and fame from the exact same people who made the content you took.. congrats.

Man, what a bunch of haters. Let's see you do any better.

ariza910
Oct 26, 2007, 05:23 PM

you're pissed because he borrowed the fingers from other apple adds??? wtf

so many haters - jesus - give the kid credit for putting all of that together, its a great little ad - editing skills alone are impressive, music works very well and the whole theme of the iPod Touch is conveyed perfectly. I think he deserves all the credit for this. Great Job!

AlwaysHopeful
Oct 26, 2007, 05:25 PM
Two points:

Firstly it's not an American Dream, as he's not American!

Secondly, whats the bet that Apple clean it up way too much, make all the fonts the "right size" blah blah blah and ruin the speed and raw-ness of it.

Watch Apple put out a really bland version.

Broadcast it as it is, warts and all - that's what makes it great.

overanalyzer
Oct 26, 2007, 05:31 PM
It's been almost 3 years since George Masters got attention for his home made iPod Mini ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0zMjiZoqj4), which I found very impressive at the time. But now in retrospect, it's not quite so slick as this one, though he certainly did a lot more work creating the graphics himself. But watching it again after a few years, it's nice to see that unofficial Apple ads are evolving as much as the real ones.

EDIT: I was just thinking, though, that it's pretty impressive that video went viral back then. YouTube was still a few months away from launching back then...it was really early in the days of viral video on the web.

kymac
Oct 26, 2007, 05:32 PM
yea.. i am hating.. hating because theres a lot of other talent out there.. creative people.. creating with their own content.. with more creative ideas. and out of all those people, and ideas, apple notices / mentions this kid?

quandmeme
Oct 26, 2007, 06:43 PM
very apple like

No, this is what we WANT Apple to be like.
Apple has made serious PR missteps IMO with shutting down the iPhone crackers. I buy into what the MacBreak weekly guys were saying about the consequences of getting in bed with mobile providers. Apple bite the enthusiasts. We are a fanatical quasi-religious group, but we will abandon an apostate faith!

Apple must show us that it makes cools stuff and won't by too arrogant about what we do with it. It needs good ads and to publicize that it values its followers in moves like this.

EagerDragon
Oct 26, 2007, 06:54 PM
I guess he deserves it, congratulations!!!!!

puckhead193
Oct 26, 2007, 07:01 PM
lucky SOB, but agreed its a very good ad.

pubius
Oct 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
Good for the kid for having fun with some video apps. Boo to apple for thinking this was anything worth anything. Quick zooms, bullet pointed product attributes, and a song of the moment are nothing worth talking about. And in other news... interest in creativity on the decline.

twoodcc
Oct 26, 2007, 07:10 PM
i'm very impressed by Apple. and i like the ad also :apple:

mrpiddly
Oct 26, 2007, 07:10 PM
I am also a hater. I consider this ad to be low grade even for something like youtube. From the ad's quality, not the actual video quality, I would say this could have easily been made in WMM. It was way to fast paced/jumpy and it sharply contrasts with the more minimalistic style apple has adopted.

The dancing Steve Balmer ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FncILxajmlw) took 100 times the amount of skill, creativity and effort as this, and it was a joke.

Jetson
Oct 26, 2007, 08:18 PM
The dancing Steve Balmer ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FncILxajmlw) took 100 times the amount of skill, creativity and effort as this, and it was a joke.
I never saw that before - very funny! I especially like the Blue Screen of Death at the end - nice touch :D

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 26, 2007, 08:43 PM

All the other Apple adds are Page 1 news. I like the consistency besides it breaks up the Leopard news posts.

The best part of the ad is the end. No that's not a joke, its clever, the "my music is where I'd like you to touch" line. Too fast for me and my old eyes. It's um, MTV-ized all quick cut scenes and music. Maybe Apple will slow it down or something and maybe it will do for CSS what the nano add did for Feist.

For people who hate on the add, I'm with ya don't let the let's-see-you-do-betters get ya down. For the let's-see-you-do-betters, no I don't need to do an Apple ad to critic this one nor does anyone else, read the sig.

And the Balmer ad was better. :D

jarenado
Oct 26, 2007, 08:49 PM
I like it, I think it fits well with the other adds having the hand and all that. Songs pretty cool too.

Sobe
Oct 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
it is rather well done. Good luck to him.

obeygiant
Oct 26, 2007, 10:12 PM
Nice ad. That kid took the apple style and ran with it. I can see why they called him.

kelau09
Oct 26, 2007, 10:31 PM
saw the ad. love the song, perfect match for ipod touch.
apple got the sense too, right move.:)

genshi
Oct 26, 2007, 10:46 PM
I think some of you miss the point that it's the idea (the song, the edits, the way the finger is swiping at not just the Touch itself, but the onscreen lettering) that got Apple's attention. Of course they will clean it up, but it's a good idea that fits with what the iPod Touch is all about.

saw the ad. love the song, perfect match for ipod touch.
apple got the sense too, right move.:)

Exactly! Well said kelau09.

genshi
Oct 26, 2007, 10:47 PM
Nice ad. That kid took the apple style and ran with it. I can see why they called him.

Shepard, is that you?

overanalyzer
Oct 27, 2007, 02:24 AM
Maybe Apple will slow it down or something and maybe it will do for CSS what the nano add did for Feist.

Being featured in an Apple ad certainly doesn't hurt, but CSS already has a pretty decent following, at least amongst people I know. I suspect their sales rate is far better than Feist pre-nano ad.

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 27, 2007, 03:14 AM
Being featured in an Apple ad certainly doesn't hurt, but CSS already has a pretty decent following, at least amongst people I know. I suspect their sales rate is far better than Feist pre-nano ad.

I know for me CSS is a method of setting up a webpage, not a musical group. Among my friends, they wouldn't know what CSS means to a webpage much less that they make music. So I guess we swing in different circles. Are they European or something?

Mossman
Oct 27, 2007, 05:48 PM
What a great and very humble guy :-)

Story and pics here (http://theappleofmyi.com/blog/?p=1270).

Cheers!

Jon

GoCubsGo
Oct 27, 2007, 06:01 PM
A very awesome video and clearly something that I think Apple should pay attention to. My hopes are for this kid to land a nice little job with that Ad agency and make another great video.

Saikou
Oct 27, 2007, 06:42 PM

Jealous, much?

HowEver
Oct 27, 2007, 09:59 PM
Nice. We're all lucky in some way.

cube
Oct 28, 2007, 09:01 AM
I know for me CSS is a method of setting up a webpage, not a musical group. Among my friends, they wouldn't know what CSS means to a webpage much less that they make music. So I guess we swing in different circles. Are they European or something?

Yes, CSS is Cascading Style Sheets.

The real name of the group is Cansei de Ser Sexy. They are Brazilian.

appleguru1
Oct 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
Just saw the production ad on Fox...

http://g.appleguru.org/touchad.mov (1280x720, 11.6MB, H.264 @ 70% w/ 128kbps AAC audio)

Original MPEG-2 Transport Stream (1280x720, 27.7MB, MPEG-2 Video, AC3 audio) (play with VLC or MPEG Streamclip...): http://g.appleguru.org/touch_ts.mpeg

twoodcc
Oct 28, 2007, 07:04 PM
What a great and very humble guy :-)

Story and pics here (http://theappleofmyi.com/blog/?p=1270).

Cheers!

Jon

awesome story!

Just saw the production ad on Fox...

http://g.appleguru.org/touchad.mov

Original MPEG-2 Transport Stream w/ AC3 audio (play with VLC or MPEG Streamclip...): http://g.appleguru.org/touch_ts.mpeg

thanks for posting! i'd have to say that's one of my favorite apple ads, if not my favorite

appleguru1
Oct 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
thanks for posting! i'd have to say that's one of my favorite apple ads, if not my favorite

NP; I like it a lot too.. and it really is VERY faithful to the 'original'

huggyb
Oct 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
It's officially been posted on Apple's website now:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ads/

doesn't look like they even changed it much.

appleguru1
Oct 28, 2007, 07:16 PM
It's officially been posted on Apple's website now:

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ads/

doesn't look like they even changed it much.

Cool :)

yeah, looks like they basically kept the exact same ad... just swapped out the video he chose for a foo fighter one.. and changed the safari page browsed... and nixed the "8GB" and "16GB" he had at the end... pretty much the same, but in hd though :)

overanalyzer
Oct 28, 2007, 07:18 PM
Yes, CSS is Cascading Style Sheets.

The real name of the group is Cansei de Ser Sexy. They are Brazilian.

Yep, you beat me to posting that (been too busy getting Leopard running and configured on all my Macs this weekend), but they more regularly go by CSS, including on the limited edition and international version of their album's cover art, and that's generally how I've seen them listed in coverage and sale.

I've learned to cope with the dual association of CSS...it took me a little bit to get used to too, since it's been cascading style sheets to me for years obviously. But it beats saying "tired of being sexy" all the time to refer to the band :)

koobcamuk
Oct 28, 2007, 07:29 PM
I was contacted ages ago about my website being featured on Apple.com - but I haven't heard from Apple in about a month now. I won't hold my breath...

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
I saw the ad too. Wow, they didn't change much at all. Maybe because it was on big screen. Seems slower to me, the transitions and all.

I guess even the Apple people couldn't do better. Or they just touched it up.

bigcreek
Oct 28, 2007, 08:23 PM
I saw the ad too. Wow, they didn't change much at all. Maybe because it was on big screen. Seems slower to me, the transitions and all.

I guess even the Apple people couldn't do better. Or they just touched it up.

It would be interesting to hear what software he used to create this.

pamon
Oct 28, 2007, 10:27 PM
that Ballmar dancing video never gets old.... love watching him dance around.....

the iPod ad is remarkable when you think about the time & efforts spent on it...

MacRumors should try to interview him on the ad and tools/software used for the ad...

Mossman
Oct 29, 2007, 07:43 AM
I think Nick used FCP - if I remember correctly! :D

mongoos150
Oct 29, 2007, 07:11 PM
What a freaking lucky kid - I am a media student and just visited Chiat \ Day this weekend - talk about an amazing place to work. The place is like a grown up version of Disneyland - definitely where I want to work - and he gets contacted by THEM! Chiat receives hundreds of applications a day! Wow. Lucky guy.

Sobe
Oct 29, 2007, 07:19 PM
What a freaking lucky kid - I am a media student and just visited Chiat \ Day this weekend - talk about an amazing place to work. The place is like a grown up version of Disneyland - definitely where I want to work - and he gets contacted by THEM! Chiat receives hundreds of applications a day! Wow. Lucky guy.

Lucky yeah maybe, but he did put out a truly great ad.

Good luck with your efforts, keep at it.

mongoos150
Oct 29, 2007, 07:28 PM
Lucky yeah maybe, but he did put out a truly great ad.

Good luck with your efforts, keep at it.Lucky just in the fact that Chiat actually saw the ad and contacted him. There is so much great content out there just waiting to be discovered...

It's also funny how everyone seems to think Apple was the one who reached out to this kid. Apple doesn't have much to do with most of the creative end of their ads, most all of it comes out of Chiat. I met the Creative Director there - awesome dude. iPod ads all over the place (including the original 1984 commercial that they were behind) - it's no wonder Apple's stayed with these people for all these years. They are straight up quality.

twoodcc
Oct 30, 2007, 06:38 AM
Lucky just in the fact that Chiat actually saw the ad and contacted him. There is so much great content out there just waiting to be discovered...

It's also funny how everyone seems to think Apple was the one who reached out to this kid. Apple doesn't have much to do with most of the creative end of their ads, most all of it comes out of Chiat. I met the Creative Director there - awesome dude. iPod ads all over the place (including the original 1984 commercial that they were behind) - it's no wonder Apple's stayed with these people for all these years. They are straight up quality.

i didn't know that. thanks

Nov 4, 2007, 02:15 PM
just saw the ad on Sunday Football coverage!

Didn't notice any changes.

Looked great! :D:apple:

Decrepit
Nov 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
just saw the ad on Sunday Football coverage!

Didn't notice any changes.

Looked great! :D:apple:

I saw the ad too, and got excited. My friends were trying to figure out what the big deal is.

Congrats to the person who designed that ad.

PeterWool
Nov 5, 2007, 05:04 PM
he went to the same school as me. he was in the year above and when i first got my macbook he came over and said 'fantastic another mac convert' great lad, he was always doing videos for the school and did a great one of our daily mail cup final victory.

termina3
Nov 6, 2007, 09:31 PM
I feel like an idiot–I just submitted a "tip" on how Apple has posted a quicktime–but then went back and saw the original item had been updated/reposted to reflect this a week ago.

Sorry guys!

AppleNinja
Nov 7, 2007, 08:58 PM
very nice vid...