PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X Leopard Launch Events

MacRumors
Oct 26, 2007, 05:02 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/10/26/IMG_2354_400.jpg

Tokyo, Japan

Apple Leopard launch events kicked off today, and have made their way around the globe. Macitynet.it posts (http://www.macitynet.it/immagini/visitaconnoi/applestoreromaleopard1/) a gallery from the Leopard launch in Rome. Pictured above is the line for the Apple Store in Tokyo, Japan.

As of this writing, the east cost of the U.S. is about to hit 6 p.m. as people line up for their free T-Shirts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/deivorytower/1756862279/) and copies of Leopard. While many received their pre-orders of Leopard today, some saw unexpected FedEx delays (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375009) -- the delays were reportedly at the request of Apple to push delivery closer to the 6 p.m. launch time.

Readers are posting their first impressions with Leopard into this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375029) in our OS X forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69).

A large collection of impressions (http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/26/all-about-leopard-gallery-apps-impressions/) have also been posted by Engadget, including:

- Install took 3.3GB of space on top of existing data
- If you have multiple browser windows open in different spaces and applications with links... if you click a link, it'll open in the browser in your space, not in the browser in another space.
- Mail is DEFINITELY faster in a lot of our folders containing thousands of messages.
- Leopard supports A2DP
- Terminal has themes (http://www.engadget.com/photos/all-about-leopard-interface-gallery/459642/)
- Coverflow works for fonts.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/26/mac-os-x-leopard-launch-events/)

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 05:04 PM
Mission Successful! :D

LondonMacs
Oct 26, 2007, 05:05 PM
really happy with leopard and launch was great. Cool T-Shirts!:D

ttutsch
Oct 26, 2007, 05:06 PM
I am finding the system keeps pausing since I installed Leopard and my CPU usage is way up. It particularly seems to pause when I select an item on the dock for the first time. Anyone else?

arn
Oct 26, 2007, 05:10 PM
I am finding the system keeps pausing since I installed Leopard and my CPU usage is way up. It particularly seems to pause when I select an item on the dock for the first time. Anyone else?

I noticed a lot of hard drive swapping initially. I turned off spotlight indexing, which didn't help. But eventually the swapping stopped, and seems fine now.

arn

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 05:12 PM
I am finding the system keeps pausing since I installed Leopard and my CPU usage is way up. It particularly seems to pause when I select an item on the dock for the first time. Anyone else?Did you check CPU usage and what processes were running?

CANEHDN
Oct 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
Holy crap. Is Tokyo normally that busy or is it partially for the event?

arn
Oct 26, 2007, 05:18 PM

the guy that posted it said this

"Here are some pics of the release in Tokyo Japan 5 hours ago. What a blast....I was number 51...2 hour before release. The line ended up taking 2 blocks. I would say up around 700 people in the line. They served us hot starbucks coffee as we waited in the rain"

The pictures from Rome were pretty impressive too.

arn

bugfaceuk
Oct 26, 2007, 05:18 PM
I noticed a lot of hard drive swapping initially. I turned off spotlight indexing, which didn't help. But eventually the swapping stopped, and seems fine now.

arn

I had the same thing, first couple of hours were lumpy but it's been sweet since.

Mac-Addict
Oct 26, 2007, 05:20 PM
Regent street had more people! like 1500 people I swear! It was so fun though I was 4th in line :D All the Apple staff counted down and was screaming and cheering us on as we walked in, scary to have 100 people screaming taking photos of you and cheering. The place was packed! I got 2 t shirts hehe (sorry guys :P) Running leopard now, and Its such an improvement, I am truly proud of Apple. Apart from the fact many many people queue jumped and stood there for 10 minutes while others spend 3 hours there. Worth it though :) Cant wait for 10.6 :D

davidwsica
Oct 26, 2007, 05:24 PM
Are they offering the typical 10% sale on hardware?

beaker68
Oct 26, 2007, 05:24 PM
All I can say is WOW. I'm up in the Great White North of Canada and, dont' have a apple store only a few up here and way to far to drive too, but do have the Auth Apple Store which I'll be hitting here soon and they have stuffed Leporards for the give away.

Consultant
Oct 26, 2007, 05:25 PM
The line is much longer than I thought in Tyson's corner VA Apple Store. They are selling tons of stuff... Seeing iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro being sold besides Leopard.

Consultant
Oct 26, 2007, 05:27 PM

It's probably indexing. First time switching to 10.4 takes processor power to index your files too.

dmw007
Oct 26, 2007, 05:30 PM
Looking at those lines makes me glad I had Leopard shipped to the house. :) :apple:

wildmac
Oct 26, 2007, 05:31 PM
any discounts on hardware?...

somberlaine
Oct 26, 2007, 05:31 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

u get to pick which size t shirt u want

Yvan256
Oct 26, 2007, 05:32 PM
Not completely "launch event" related, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of people were waiting for Leopard before buying/upgrading their Mac mini. After all, Leopard + iLife '08 is nearly 33% of the cost of the entry-level Mac mini.

I just ordered mine. From G4/1.42GHz to Core 2 Duo/1.83GHz... should be nice. :D

And if anyone needs an aluminum mount for their Mac mini, contact me! ;)

Lesser Evets
Oct 26, 2007, 05:39 PM
I love seeing the Japanerds.

Westside guy
Oct 26, 2007, 05:40 PM
Well, I was gonna pick up Leopard after work today; but I'm home with a sick kid so it'll have to be Monday. At least it won't be as crowded... :D

Jade Cambell
Oct 26, 2007, 05:45 PM
I pre-ordered leopard, and checking FedEx tracking, it says it was delivered today at 12:40PM. I'll be installing it the minute I get home! :) That's not until after 7:00pm.. :(

Decrepit
Oct 26, 2007, 06:03 PM
My copy is "at central receiving."

The school software store closed at 4:30, before the central receiving would deliver the packages. So I wait until Monday.

But on Monday, I will have it for only $70-80. And I can actually study this weekend. :-)

HailToTheVictor
Oct 26, 2007, 06:09 PM
I got in line in the University of Michigan store right at 6, and there were well over 100 people in front of me, but I got mine:D

$69

Decrepit
Oct 26, 2007, 06:17 PM
I got in line in the University of Michigan store right at 6, and there were well over 100 people in front of me, but I got mine:D

$69

You had more people in line than my University will sell copies of Leopard this year. :-)

breal8406
Oct 26, 2007, 06:41 PM
Up and running Leopard. Just used default installation config and no problems so far. Spotlight is re-indexing the hard drive and I've put Time Machine to work on it's first backup.

Woot!

matticus008
Oct 26, 2007, 06:49 PM
While many received their pre-orders of Leopard today, some saw unexpected FedEx delays (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375009) -- the delays were reportedly at the request of Apple to push delivery closer to the 6 p.m. launch time.

While that may be an accurate reflection of the sentiment, it's a little bit off from reality. Overnight deliveries are normally guaranteed by 10:30am (which is why everyone's FedEx status page says "delivery by 10:30"--regular packages do not specify a time of arrival at all), but because of the volume of copies shipped out by Apple, FedEx is simply delivering them as part of the normal shipping day--since the load is otherwise untenable. Apple is allowing this because it would otherwise violate the delivery agreement, and I imagine Apple got discounted rates as a result. The agreement is beneficial to FedEx more than to Apple in that regard.

phillipjfry
Oct 26, 2007, 07:03 PM
my tshirt fits so nice

Its like I'm wearing a layer of kitties and newborn babies!

twoodcc
Oct 26, 2007, 07:04 PM
i am installing leopard as we speak (or as i type ;) )

got my tshirt. and this time it fits!

crispoe
Oct 26, 2007, 07:20 PM
I guess Leopard does have a 64 bit kernel!
I have a non santa rosa Macbook Pro that before Leopard would only recognize 3 of the gigs of ram I installed. Now with Leopard the system monitor sees all 4gb instead of 3gb. I guess it wasn't a hardware limitation after all.

Thanks Apple!

silverblue3
Oct 26, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hmm...that photo taken outside the Apple store in Tokyo, looks very similar to the view outside the Apple store in San Francisco.

Stevenup7002
Oct 26, 2007, 07:31 PM
Is Kevin Rose in that line by any chance? ;)

japanime
Oct 26, 2007, 07:34 PM

The Apple Store Ginza is located at a major intersection that is in fact normally that crowded (or darn near). I'm sure quite a few of the people in that picture are in line to get inside the store, but a bunch more are probably just waiting for the traffic signal to change so they can cross the street.

douglasgb
Oct 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
Are they offering the typical 10% sale on hardware?

Nope. But Black Friday will be here before you know it.

ururk
Oct 26, 2007, 08:02 PM

$69

How was their traffic control? I ended up going to 12 Oaks, saw some employees with leopard tails and ears (dunno if Apple sent those withe T-shirts :D).

EagerDragon
Oct 26, 2007, 08:11 PM

Let it finish indexing, once indexing is done should be nice and responsive.

wildmac
Oct 26, 2007, 08:39 PM
Nope. But Black Friday will be here before you know it.

Mmm... Black Friday..... :-)

Maybe the new laptops will be out by then...

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 08:52 PM
They were offering 10% ($12.90) instead of the $13 off of Leopard in store for students.

Not that bad for those that wanted it today.

Note: This is for those without a university that resells Leopard for $69, etc.

KCK
Oct 26, 2007, 08:56 PM
While that may be an accurate reflection of the sentiment, it's a little bit off from reality. Overnight deliveries are normally guaranteed by 10:30am (which is why everyone's FedEx status page says "delivery by 10:30"--regular packages do not specify a time of arrival at all), but because of the volume of copies shipped out by Apple, FedEx is simply delivering them as part of the normal shipping day--since the load is otherwise untenable. Apple is allowing this because it would otherwise violate the delivery agreement, and I imagine Apple got discounted rates as a result. The agreement is beneficial to FedEx more than to Apple in that regard.

My FedEx driver dropped off my copy of Leopard at 9am. She said my package must be something exciting because she had 45 similar boxes to deliver. She said she had so many packages to deliver today that she wasn't going to be able to deliver all of them today. I told her she better get all of the boxes of Leopard delivered or else she would have some very upset people mad at her. I wonder how many other FedEx drivers felt they couldn't get all of their deliveries made today.

I also know some people who when they got their delivery notice it said delivery by 4:30pm

cazlar
Oct 26, 2007, 08:58 PM
I just wandered down to the Pasadena Apple Store, in order to maybe play with Leopard and hopefully snag a t-shirt (I'm going to get a MB in a few weeks hopefully, so I wasn't buying). However, was amazed that there was a huge line outside the store at 6:30pm, and it seemed to still be increasing as I watched. The line went down to the corner and was as long as the iPhone line (when I saw it at 7pm on iDay at least). I couldn't be bothered to wait that long just for a t-shirt though...

kenaustus
Oct 26, 2007, 09:05 PM
I just bought a Family Pack at CompUSA and they are offering a $30 rebate today and Saturday. Didn't realize that - just we there because the Apple rep has been a nice guy to me for a few years and I figured the Apple Store 2 miles away would be chaos judging from very heavy in the area.

felixkunze
Oct 26, 2007, 09:16 PM
I was at the Release event in Bluewater - there were actually about 250 people there! It was definitely fun. I have photos on my Flickr Page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/felixkunze) and Videos on my Youtube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/felixkunze). Have a look.

My official review!:
I stood in line today for Leopard and was amongst the first in the Western Hemisphere to get my hands on this predator. Quite aside from the fun I had actually spending my hard-earned cash on this upgrade, installation was a breeze and the feeling overall is very positive.

Initial Impression:
To label this a minor release would be preposterous. It is a major release in every way. It is well worth checking out the list of 300 new features of Leopard on the Apple website. The main thing I notice with all the new gizmos I've been using on Leopard is that yet again Apple has come up with something where everything 'just works'. Exactly the way it should and without further fuss. I've not had ANY issues after using 10.5 for about 3 hours, editing video etc, everything has been a breeze. If there are major bugs, I haven't come across it.

Notable points:
- The system runs faster. This is apparently a speedup specifically noticable with Core 2 Duo systems (like mine)

- Spaces: Works as advertised. It could be a little bit confusing for someone who's not familiar with the mac but its also not turned on by default. Been using it for a couple of hours now and it really is a great productivity tool. It is one of those things you just end up using naturally which proves its usefulness.

- Frontrow: Front-Row finally has the Apple TV Interface which is nice. It doesn't have YouTube though which I feel should have been included as its a useful option. With the lack of fancy integrations from the desktop, Apple has given Frontrow its pride of place in the home entertainment arena. It feels more like a mode of the computer rather than an app that is depending on there being enough RAM to play a song. You can now also specify the sources like you can on the Apple TV.

- Dock: The new improved dock is an evolution of the familiar dock we've come to know and love. It now features reflective 3D effects which work well. 'Stacks' is a neat feature which is fast and enables clutter free access to your files.

- Spotlight has been improved and seems faster. It launches apps by just selecting the item and tapping the space bar. That's nice because you end up not having to use the mouse to open applications.

- Finder: The main thing I like is Coverflow. It works fantastically and until you use it in the finder, its hard to describe how useful it is. I would have said that finder had its limitations against its cousin Windows Explorer. But with Leopard in Cover flow, it really makes it easier to go through your files, find what you are looking for. Coupled with quicklook, you end up being able to go through your files and find what you like without launching a bunch of applications. The smart folder and networking capabilities work fantastically and if smartly set up, negate any need to rumble through your computer for hours, trying to find "that one file".

- Time Machine: I don't have an external hard drive (yet) so wasn't able to
test this one.

- Issues: The only issue I found is that quicklook should include previews of folder contents. Its such an obvious omission that it will surely be included in a future software update.

I would highly recommend an upgrade to any Mac User. If you are looking for a renewed computing experience, get your hands on Leopard and see for yourself. I have already been using the new features a lot. They prove themselves in the way they work so well and how effortless their implementation seems to be. Productivity is obviously one of Apple's Key focuses and their ability to tie entertainment and productivity into one easy to use package deserves praise at the least. Kudo's to Apple for another great product and for pushing computing forward.

alcides11
Oct 26, 2007, 09:29 PM
I guess Leopard does have a 64 bit kernel!
I have a non santa rosa Macbook Pro that before Leopard would only recognize 3 of the gigs of ram I installed. Now with Leopard the system monitor sees all 4gb instead of 3gb. I guess it wasn't a hardware limitation after all.

Thanks Apple!

How about the Macbook? I know people who had 3GB installed on their Macbook Core 2 Duo system so......will it now see 4GB if two 2GB sticks installed?

Can anyone confirm?

mikey.f
Oct 26, 2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
- Install took 3.3GB of space on top of existing data

Well, I had 13.5 gigs free prior to install, and after, I ended up with 8.5. That's a bit more than just 3.3 :(

Other than that, YAY :D

4God
Oct 26, 2007, 09:48 PM
I find it interesting that Apple has upgraded the site to show that Leopard ships with each new mac - EXCEPT the MacPro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html). The tech specs page still says Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger while all the others say Leopard. Again, hmmmm....;)

breal8406
Oct 26, 2007, 09:53 PM
OK, So I've been running Leopard for a bit now. One minor issue I've come across...shown in the pic attached to the post:

Leopard somehow got the Mac HD icon & Time Machine drive icon mixed up and had both fixed with Time Machine drive icons

If this happens to any of you, I've found that it is because of a corrupt Time Machine file (.plist) that you can find in Library under Preferences. Toss it & reboot and all should be normal again.

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 09:54 PM
OK, So I've been running Leopard for a bit now. One minor issue I've come across...shown in the pic attached to the post:

Leopard somehow got the Mac HD icon & Time Machine drive icon mixed up and had both fixed with Time Machine drive icons

If this happens to any of you, I've found that it is because of a corrupt Time Machine file (.plist) that you can find in Library under Preferences. Toss it & reboot and all should be normal again.You only need to log out after you delete a .plist. ;)

spydr
Oct 26, 2007, 10:26 PM
The line didn't die down until around 7 p.m. at Montgomery Mall Apple Store, Bethesda, by which time they had run out the 500 shirts. Me and my wife got ours just in time!

Really like Time Machine implementation - beautiful and amazing! Dock is neat! Time to trade my 1.42 GHz mini up for the new cat.

TheBobcat
Oct 26, 2007, 11:09 PM

$69

I'm surprised scUM allows Leopard to be sold there. It seems a little forward thinking for that crowd. If it ain't sold at Wal-Mart, you guys don't seem to own it.

ma2ha3
Oct 26, 2007, 11:44 PM

that picture of tokyo in front of apple shop is so unfair. it is friday night, lots of people walking past to go to restaurants with colleagues and friends. There are small queues to get Leopard, but those people you see, most are just walking past.

it is like that , every day in tokyo.

saltcured
Oct 26, 2007, 11:45 PM
I went to the Pioneer Place Apple store in downtown Portland, OR. Got there at 5:30 and was about 75 from the front. By the time they opened the doors there was a huge line behind me, it seemed I got there just in time. It was a fun party atmosphere with the employees clapping and cheering people on.

Bummer is I've only been playing with Leopard for 30 minutes and I've already had several issues. System preferences has crashed several times; mail can't write to my keychain, I have to enter my email passwords each time I restart mail; frontrow can't access my iPhoto library, gives an error message. I hope 10.5.1 comes out soon.

crispoe
Oct 27, 2007, 01:27 AM
How about the Macbook? I know people who had 3GB installed on their Macbook Core 2 Duo system so......will it now see 4GB if two 2GB sticks installed?

Can anyone confirm?

It should see 4 now. The reason the machine only saw 3 was Tiger was actually a 32 bit OS. Since Leopard is a 64bit OS, it should now see all 4. I believe during installation its makes the determination what to install based on your HW.

MrSmith
Oct 27, 2007, 04:35 AM
I spotted John Locke on the left. Probably lost. :D

InTheYear
Oct 27, 2007, 06:03 AM
When I hear things like this it drives me crazy. For 3 years (99-2002) I worked at an Apple dealer and did Mac repairs (friend owned the store, I had a photo studio in the back), I am an experienced Apple Tech. Obviously the experience that Saltcured had is not indicative of something wrong with Leopard, but rather something seriously wrong with his machine and/or HDD.

If I had to speculate as to a single issue it would be his hard drive. My advice would be to back up all the 'created by user' files and erase the drive and reinstall everything. Unless the HDD is about to die this should save it. The only reason I'm suggesting an erasure here is that he has already installed Leopard, probably over an already corrupt system that was heavily fragged. This way, his machine, his HDD, gets a new lease on life.

I just had to do that with my wife's MacBook Pro. She thought her SuperDrive was broken, it wouldn't eject, it wouldn't mount, just did not want to work (This issue existed for the past 3 months). I wound up having to hook up an external burner, reinstalled Tiger (which fixed everything including her SuperDrive. Then installed Leopard, afterward did a PRAM fix (anyone that does Archive and Install should always to a PRAM reset afterward to blow out any garbage that collects). Once her Spotlight indexed the machine ran MUCH better than before.

Since 9AM yesterday morning (when my copy of Leopard arrived) I've helped 26 friends, family, and co-workers (we're a company stocked with Macs) install and/or upgrade to Leopard with NO negatives showing up. I swear Leopard will go down as one of the most "complete" and "bugs-kept-to-an-absolute-minimum" .0 releases.

Simply put, in Saltcured case, Leopard is NOT the problem.

Sorry for such a long post from a newbie. I've lurked for years, but had to address this because its such a diametrically opposed reality to tens of thousands of other Leopard users I've been reading about and in those that I have assisted today, er, I mean yesterday. (long day!)

Bummer is I've only been playing with Leopard for 30 minutes and I've already had several issues. System preferences has crashed several times; mail can't write to my keychain, I have to enter my email passwords each time I restart mail; frontrow can't access my iPhoto library, gives an error message. I hope 10.5.1 comes out soon.

Digitalclips
Oct 27, 2007, 08:24 AM

Bet it is Spotlight updating. On four Macs I updated only one did this, a Dual 2 GIG G5, it took an hour to totally remake Spotlight database. Once done it is faster than Tiger.

Digitalclips
Oct 27, 2007, 08:29 AM
I had the same thing, first couple of hours were lumpy but it's been sweet since.

I can't believe even my ancient G4 iBook (bottom of range at the time) is running Leopard and it seems faster than it was with Tiger!

I have one question to any tech heads ... can Time Machine be 'told' to only deal with one internal drive? I have Dual G5 with two internal 350 MB drives and TM is so far trying to archive both in one go and I simply don't have a large enough drive (I'd need a TB) but if i could tell it to ignore the second drive I'd be all set. TIA.

Doctor Q
Oct 27, 2007, 10:39 AM
A friend and I played with Leopard on an iMac in the Apple Store for about an hour, even though we were taking our own copies home. We found two or three "glitches" (minor interface issues), such as a pane with the top cut off. We showed an Apple salesguy who we had been chatting with. He smiled and said "Shhh! Don't let anyone hear you!"

Why does the photo from Ginza look like a mob instead of an organized line?

djon41
Oct 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
I can't believe even my ancient G4 iBook (bottom of range at the time) is running Leopard and it seems faster than it was with Tiger!

I have one question to any tech heads ... can Time Machine be 'told' to only deal with one internal drive? I have Dual G5 with two internal 350 MB drives and TM is so far trying to archive both in one go and I simply don't have a large enough drive (I'd need a TB) but if i could tell it to ignore the second drive I'd be all set. TIA.

which G4 do you have? ive got the 1.42, and was contemplating on whether it would be worth it or not...

MrSmith
Oct 27, 2007, 10:51 AM
... Why does the photo from Ginza look like a mob instead of an organized line?
It''s called randomness, dude. Don't knock it. It's a rare commodity here.

Kaiser Phoenix
Oct 27, 2007, 10:52 AM
Looking at those lines makes me glad I had Leopard shipped to the house. :) :apple:

Yeah same here, got it shipped right to my door steps!

RossoA
Oct 27, 2007, 11:21 AM
How do you get the HDDs to display how much they have/have left under like that?

Been playing on Leo since I got it last night - It told me it would take 5.08GBs to install on both machines...Glad I have my external on the way - can't wait to start playing with TM :D

Deefuzz
Oct 27, 2007, 11:30 AM
Reporting in from St. Louis! I'll just copy/paste my story from the StL thread:

I went to the West County store straight after work, so since I came from work I unfortunately did not have my camera with me.

After a long wait in the Starbucks line for some requisite "wake-up" juice I made my way towards the Apple store to meet up with my buddy at around 5:15. I am terrible at guesses but I would say we might have been around the 50's-70's in line.

I didn't plan on buying Leopard, I just love these events. I mainly wanted to show up and mix it up with others waiting, and play around with Leopard. After nabbing a free t-shirt in the door I had 4 different employees approach me and ask me how many copies I wanted. I told them that I wanted to play mainly.

After playing around for 15-20 minutes I decided just to buy it right there. We probably left the store around 6:45 and there was still a line of about 30-40 people waiting to get in I would estimate.

Haven't had the chance to install yet, but I love these Apple events! I went to the Tiger release at the West County store, and the opening event at the Galleria. I wish we had another opening around here sometime soon...I love this stuff.

mroseneo
Oct 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
Well first real day getting to use Leopard Extensively. Here are the results. Probably caused by Azureus.:eek:

OllyW
Oct 27, 2007, 11:53 AM
How do you get the HDDs to display how much they have/have left under like that?

In Finder, click "View" on the menu bar, then click "View Options" from the drop down menu. Tick the box "Show item info" and you are all set :)

Lito
Oct 27, 2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9amljy0Iq9Q

eastcoastsurfer
Oct 27, 2007, 01:05 PM
The pic from Tokyo makes me laugh. I recently got back from Tokyo and nearly ever pic I took of the city street looked the exact same (OSX event or not). There are just sooooo many people there...

Doctor Q
Oct 27, 2007, 02:09 PM
It''s called randomness, dude. Don't knock it. It's a rare commodity here.:)

There was certainly no shortage of people when I visited Ginza. But nothing like the crowds on the loop line train to get there!

saltcured
Oct 27, 2007, 02:59 PM
When I hear things like this it drives me crazy. For 3 years (99-2002) I worked at an Apple dealer and did Mac repairs (friend owned the store, I had a photo studio in the back), I am an experienced Apple Tech. Obviously the experience that Saltcured had is not indicative of something wrong with Leopard, but rather something seriously wrong with his machine and/or HDD.

If I had to speculate as to a single issue it would be his hard drive. My advice would be to back up all the 'created by user' files and erase the drive and reinstall everything. Unless the HDD is about to die this should save it. The only reason I'm suggesting an erasure here is that he has already installed Leopard, probably over an already corrupt system that was heavily fragged. This way, his machine, his HDD, gets a new lease on life.

Not sure why it's obviously my machine and not Leopard, the Apple support forums indicate many keychain issues for example. I'm not saying my computer isn't the problem though. It is my second (24inch 2.16 iMac) the first was replaced for free because Apple couldn't diagnose it's multiple crashes/panics. So if my second machine is having hardware issues too then, well, that sucks!

I'll wait a couple of days and see how things go before I do a clean install, I would like to avoid that ordeal if I could.

Digitalclips
Oct 27, 2007, 03:57 PM
which G4 do you have? ive got the 1.42, and was contemplating on whether it would be worth it or not...

Only a 1.33 and 512 RAM, really bottom end only used for Mail and Safari till now and I never thought it would take Leopard but it loves it :)

I have an old G4 733 which is below min spec ... I wonder??

Digitalclips
Oct 27, 2007, 04:01 PM
Well first real day getting to use Leopard Extensively. Here are the results. Probably caused by Azureus.:eek:

That's a shame you had that happen. So far I have done 5 upgrades on machines from old iBook to brand new MacBook Pro with G5s and G4s in between. Not a single glitch. Smoothest update ever (and fast) and many of these machines started with 10.0 and have simply been updated through all X's iterations not clean installs. Only snag I hit was Parallels needed updating to 3.0 on one MacBook.

modernangel76
Oct 27, 2007, 10:31 PM
My wife is an Apple employee for the Japan Marketing team, She got me into the store before it opened at 6pm. Here are my pics.

http://flickr.com/photos/modernangel/sets/72157602722095141/
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/1761310794_9754142054.jpg

Saikou
Oct 28, 2007, 12:32 AM
My wife is an Apple employee for the Japan Marketing team, She got me into the store before it opened at 6pm. Here are my pics.

http://flickr.com/photos/modernangel/sets/72157602722095141/
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2028/1761310794_9754142054.jpg

素敵よ!「ギンザ」へ行きたいんです。本当に楽しいそうですね.

この写真はすてき、Modernangel。よくできました :)

Consultant
Oct 29, 2007, 08:16 AM
I went to the Pioneer Place Apple store in downtown Portland, OR. Got there at 5:30 and was about 75 from the front. By the time they opened the doors there was a huge line behind me, it seemed I got there just in time. It was a fun party atmosphere with the employees clapping and cheering people on.

- Open Disk Utility, perform: Repair Permissions, verify disk, if Verify disk fails, then boot up using OS disk and Repair Disk.

- Keychain, open keychain, see if it's locked. If locked, unlock it.

- I would repair permissions after (and before) each system update and installs that require your password.

proc
Oct 29, 2007, 05:32 PM
I have tried Leopard with my iMac 24" (Late 2006) which has 2 modules of 2GB making a total of 4GB. Using Leopard it shows 4GB in systemprofile and 4GB in Activity which I found odd, as the same machine shows 4GB in systemprofile but 3GB in Activity using Tiger...

I did find Leopard a tad slow (it seemed it was already finished indexing), whereas using Tiger it is quite fast.

It is equipped with the default 250GB HDD (haven't changed that yet), the memory modules are two OCZ branded modules type OCZ2MV6672G.

There are more reports of this phenomenon mentioned in this thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4411888&posted=1#post4411888

Are there more people who have seen this happen? :confused: