PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Now Shipping with New Macs, Drop Ins at Retail

MacRumors
Oct 26, 2007, 11:01 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Perhaps its goes without saying, but Apple has updated their product pages (iMac (http://www.apple.com/imac/), MacBook (http://www.apple.com/macbook/macbook.html), MacBook Pro (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/), Mac mini (http://www.apple.com/macmini/)) indicating that Mac OS X Leopard is now shipping with new Macs. All desktop images on Apple.com now use the new Leopard desktop (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7700872@N02/1721656068/) background. Curiously, the Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/) is the only product page that does not explicitly say that it is now shipping with Leopard, though we assume it does.

Meanwhile, customers who buy Macs directly from retail Apple Stores may receive a "Drop In" Leopard DVD (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375500) with purchases of Macs until the old inventory turns-over. These Drop In DVDs will reportedly only upgrade an existing Mac OS X 10.4 install. You also don't get the pretty packaging of the Retail box.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/10/26/leopard_dropin_400.jpg

This shouldn't necessarily be the signal to buy a new Mac, however, as both the Mac Pro and the MacBook have been rumored to see updates as soon as November.

Intel has started (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2206589,00.asp) ramping up production of the new Penryn processor at their first 45-nm fab. The Penryn processor will launch on November 12th and is expected to be used in the next revision of the Mac Pro, expected shortly.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/26/leopard-now-shipping-with-new-macs-drop-ins-at-retail/)

pieman02
Oct 26, 2007, 11:05 PM
Thats good - cause I have heard of people getting a new computer shipped, and now they have to wait for Leopard to ship as well - how lame would that be?

MaliciousDesign
Oct 26, 2007, 11:12 PM
Thats good - cause I have heard of people getting a new computer shipped, and now they have to wait for Leopard to ship as well - how lame would that be?

That would suck. I also hope they don't update their Macbook Pro's now, since I just bought one.

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 11:14 PM
I'm still holding out for a Mac Pro.

Quillz
Oct 26, 2007, 11:16 PM
RIP Mac OS X Tiger (2005-2007). You lived a good life and will be missed.

Eidorian
Oct 26, 2007, 11:17 PM
RIP Mac OS X Tiger (2005-2007). You lived a good life and will be missed.It'll be sticking around for me until at least 2008 sadly.

tcoleman
Oct 26, 2007, 11:18 PM
From the product page:

Included Software: "Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger"

Edit: I see the message nearer to the top of the page now.

portuglish08
Oct 26, 2007, 11:19 PM
:apple:Let's hope we DO see those rumored macbook updates soon! And also, let's hope it's not just a minor bump!:apple:

cohibadad
Oct 26, 2007, 11:22 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Mac OS disk that only upgrades a prior version? Just seems unlikely since it would add a hassle factor. How would you do a clean install on a fresh disk if necessary without going through Tiger first?

Jetson
Oct 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
I know they just refreshed the iMac line, but I'm waiting until the next improvement.

I've read too many reports of problems and poor build quality.

adamzx3
Oct 26, 2007, 11:37 PM
Curiously, the Mac Pro is the only product page that does not explicitly say that it is now shipping with Leopard, though we assume it does.

I spoke to a customer service rep and she assured me that all mac pro's after the 26th would ship with leopard...though she wouldn't comment on the refresh launch date :)

pieman02
Oct 26, 2007, 11:49 PM
Has anyone ever seen a Mac OS disk that only upgrades a prior version? Just seems unlikely since it would add a hassle factor. How would you do a clean install on a fresh disk if necessary without going through Tiger first?

If it is possible it would be by restarting your computer, holding down 'c' to boot from the dvd, and then the Leopard install menu should come up where the option to erase and install is....

offwidafairies
Oct 27, 2007, 12:05 AM
That would suck. I also hope they don't update their Macbook Pro's now, since I just bought one.

I've just ordered a MBP last week. I'm happy to hear they are shipping with Leopard. I too would be quite miffed if they update the MBP before January. I need a new computer before the end of the year but couldnt wait until MacWorld. In fact, I've been waiting quite a long time and CANNOT WAIT :) :) :) for the baby to arrive. Yesterday I bought a 250Gb external drive in preparation for Time Machine. It says ship date is Nov 6 - 11th. My final exam at university is November 6th. I'd be STOKED if it arrived that day :D
What a way to celebrate a great year!!!!

PS: To Blow my own Trumpet (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375624)

thevibesman
Oct 27, 2007, 12:05 AM

I ordered one of the original Mac Minis from MacMall shortly after Tiger came out. In addition to the 10.3 disks that came with the Mini, an upgrade DVD for 10.4 was also included. You could still choose any of the install formats, even erase and install, but a valid install 10.3 was required on the disk to erase and install. Not a big deal when you first get the disk, but it was a little annoying if I reformatted as I would need to install 10.3 first and then use the 10.4 disk to erase and install.

CrusaderKnight
Oct 27, 2007, 12:07 AM
I know this has nothing to do with this. But the iCal now updates to the new date when it turns 12:00AM in the morning

HLdan
Oct 27, 2007, 12:09 AM
If it is possible it would be by restarting your computer, holding down 'c' to boot from the dvd, and then the Leopard install menu should come up where the option to erase and install is....

Also to add to that Tiger MUST be the current OS installed. If you have Panther those upgrade discs will not install.

Doctor Q
Oct 27, 2007, 12:19 AM
The box is so pretty I'm never going to open it. :)

I'll have to buy another copy.

tingly
Oct 27, 2007, 12:40 AM
refurbs are shipping with leopard as well, including mac pros.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/leopard_lm_utd_refurb_071017.jpg

Eidorian
Oct 27, 2007, 12:56 AM
refurbs are shipping with leopard as well, including mac pros.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/leopard_lm_utd_refurb_071017.jpgThat is very nice. I'll have to tell my friends.

Darkroom
Oct 27, 2007, 12:58 AM
the tungsten light cast in that image is making my eyes bleed...

BKKbill
Oct 27, 2007, 01:04 AM

Having a hard time believing or is that just me. ;)

PCMacUser
Oct 27, 2007, 01:07 AM
I think that the default wallpaper in Leopard makes the Macs look cheap and nasty. The old Tiger blue wallpaper was far more sophisticated.

lunarworks
Oct 27, 2007, 01:07 AM
I wonder if the iMac ads on TV will reflect this change as well...

Quillz
Oct 27, 2007, 01:53 AM
I think that the default wallpaper in Leopard makes the Macs look cheap and nasty. The old Tiger blue wallpaper was far more sophisticated.
Hmm... I completely disagree.

hasah
Oct 27, 2007, 01:56 AM
I was hoping that apple would update the macbooks with the launch of leopard. That way i would have been able to buy a new, updated macbook with leopard installed and get a free ipod nano, as part of the uk student offer. But the student offer is finishing on the 30th october :( so looks like im gonna miss out on the free ipod nano cos i aint gonna buy a macbook which is so close to the end of it's cycle. SO THIS NEXT MACBOOK UPDATE BETTER BE WORTH THE WAIT!

phillipjfry
Oct 27, 2007, 02:31 AM
I know this has nothing to do with this. But the iCal now updates to the new date when it turns 12:00AM in the morning

I don't like the new ical, i want my sidebar back that shows information about the event just by single clicking, not having to double click on the even with a bubble popping up. Just being picky is all :)

aafuss1
Oct 27, 2007, 03:19 AM
The Welcome to Leopard manual is now up for official download at Apple.com:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Welcome_to_Leopard.pdf

rockosmodurnlif
Oct 27, 2007, 03:37 AM

You sir are a true fan!

Technictix
Oct 27, 2007, 03:52 AM
Likely as Mac Pro and the MacBook have been rumored to see updates as soon as November, is there any rumor that MacBook Pro will update soon?

I'm wondering if now is the best timing to purchase MBP. Should I wait for Leopard pre-installed MBP coming soon? If there will be no significant change (e.g. upgrade on CPU) between current MBP in stores and upcoming Leopard pre-installed MBP, I would definitely run to Apple Store and get one now!

mmendoza27
Oct 27, 2007, 03:53 AM
I got the Leopard CPU Update disk and I installed it, I put it in and then started the install.

There is a moment where it verifies you have a previous version of OS X, and there will be an "options" button eventually on the bottom. Click that and you will get other options for the install, one of them which includes "Erase and Install" and you get to choose what formatting you want to use for the hard-drive.

It worked like a charm on the iMac Core2Duo I bought, as well on my MacBook Pro.

jkr801
Oct 27, 2007, 04:12 AM
I was hoping that apple would update the macbooks with the launch of leopard. That way i would have been able to buy a new, updated macbook with leopard installed and get a free ipod nano, as part of the uk student offer. But the student offer is finishing on the 30th october :( so looks like im gonna miss out on the free ipod nano cos i aint gonna buy a macbook which is so close to the end of it's cycle. SO THIS NEXT MACBOOK UPDATE BETTER BE WORTH THE WAIT!

is it only going to be macbook or macbook pros as well anyone know the rumor??

john789
Oct 27, 2007, 04:13 AM
Well there was no extra announcement or update to the mackbook, rather dissapointing taking into account i was willing to buy a new macbook today with leopard.... :confused::eek: Well at least i got a free t-shirt!! and "FREE" stuff are always a premium with Apple. :)

I really hope we get an updated Macbook soon cause i aint gonna buy a laptop at the end of its cycle...C'mon Apple Help swith to the Mac plataform Before christmas!!!

rotlex
Oct 27, 2007, 05:34 AM
I ordered one of the original Mac Minis from MacMall shortly after Tiger came out. In addition to the 10.3 disks that came with the Mini, an upgrade DVD for 10.4 was also included. You could still choose any of the install formats, even erase and install, but a valid install 10.3 was required on the disk to erase and install. Not a big deal when you first get the disk, but it was a little annoying if I reformatted as I would need to install 10.3 first and then use the 10.4 disk to erase and install.

This really annoys me. Why is it even Microsoft can figure out how to sell you an upgrade disk that does not require the previous OS to be installed, along with countless other manufacturers, where Apple requires it? I mean, considering how "advanced" Leopard is, you think they would figure a way, during the install, for the OS to simply ask you to temporarily insert an older version of the OS in the DVD drive, let it check, then continue on it's way.

Just plain stupid. (Again, MS, Adobe, and a few hundred other software devs seem to be able to do this with upgrades).

ppc_michael
Oct 27, 2007, 05:39 AM
the tungsten light cast in that image is making my eyes bleed...

Finally, someone speaking truth!

babboxy
Oct 27, 2007, 05:49 AM
how much 'new mac pro' will I get for 5000$?..it better be before the end of the year though!

SimonTheSoundMa
Oct 27, 2007, 05:52 AM
It shouldn't get much of an update in January. No new amazing processors (example MBP upgrade from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz and 2.4GHz to 2.6GHz perhaps), no new video cards on the market, no new chipsets from Intel, Bluray players will not be in the correct form factor for the MBP/MB and are very expensive. 17inch may go LCD backlit. Macbook will follow suit to the MBP.

jellomizer
Oct 27, 2007, 07:06 AM

You don't have to upgrade if you don't want too... Most application even new ones created will work on Tiger for years to come. If you like Tiger and don't want or really need the features in Leopard then don't upgrade and get yourself a nice dinner for yourself and some friends.

jellomizer
Oct 27, 2007, 07:12 AM
It shouldn't get much of an update in January. No new amazing processors (example MBP upgrade from 2.2GHz to 2.4GHz and 2.4GHz to 2.6GHz perhaps), no new video cards on the market, no new chipsets from Intel, Bluray players will not be in the correct form factor for the MBP/MB and are very expensive. 17inch may go LCD backlit. Macbook will follow suit to the MBP.

You are probably right. But there is a chance for a big surprise from Apple. New Case design. the Sub Notebook. A Tablet that actually works well.... At this point if your product hasn't recieved an upgrade lately wait a couple months and see what happends. Chances are good there will be no major case redesigns with perhaps making the MacBooks Aluminum, to match the rest of the product line, Perhaps the Chicklet Keyboard on the MacBook Pro.

OllyW
Oct 27, 2007, 07:18 AM
This really annoys me. Why is it even Microsoft can figure out how to sell you an upgrade disk that does not require the previous OS to be installed, along with countless other manufacturers, where Apple requires it? I mean, considering how "advanced" Leopard is, you think they would figure a way, during the install, for the OS to simply ask you to temporarily insert an older version of the OS in the DVD drive, let it check, then continue on it's way.

Just plain stupid. (Again, MS, Adobe, and a few hundred other software devs seem to be able to do this with upgrades).

It is only the drop-in DVD which requires the previous OS, the normal retail discs will install onto a HDD with no previous OS installed.

You are getting it with a new Mac which has Tiger already loaded so I don't see what the problem is :confused:

rotlex
Oct 27, 2007, 07:39 AM
It is only the drop-in DVD which requires the previous OS, the normal retail discs will install onto a HDD with no previous OS installed.

You are getting it with a new Mac which has Tiger already loaded so I don't see what the problem is :confused:

Oh I realize it's only the drop-in, but that's my point. It shouldn't be that way. My issue is, even if the new machine already has Tiger, what happens a few years, or God forbid, a few months down the road when a HDD crash happens and I need to do a full install? It seem ridiculous to have to load an older OS before being able to install the new one. Again, even MS does not make you do this with "upgrade" versions.

Besides, the "drop in" after the 26th, should BE the full retail version. Well, IMHO at least. :)

Mr. Dee
Oct 27, 2007, 08:04 AM

Actually, Microsoft now requires that previous version of the OS is on the hard disk to do an upgrade to the 32 bit versions of Windows Vista. You can't do clean installs with the Upgrade disk, (although there are work a rounds).

It seems the Company realized that people were using the XP Upgrades for full clean installs, maybe just borrowing a friends older version of Windows as a qualifying product during installation. You could even use a Windows Upgrade disk as a qualifying product when the EULA states that to use an upgrade version of Windows you must have a previous original full version of Windows.

fonz500
Oct 27, 2007, 08:06 AM
I am buying new Imac and kinda want Leopard Pre-installed. SO if I go to my Apple store today and they don't have any Imacs with Leopard preinstalled, I can go online and order it there and it will ship with it preinstalled????

Why wouldn't Apple just scale back their production on new computers before a new OS is released? I would have to believe that most people were like me and they would be waiting to purchase a new Mac until Leopard was released. This way they could actually ship some Macs with Leopard pre-installed.

lazyrighteye
Oct 27, 2007, 08:44 AM
You are probably right. But there is a chance for a big surprise from Apple. New Case design. the Sub Notebook. A Tablet that actually works well.... At this point if your product hasn't recieved an upgrade lately wait a couple months and see what happends. Chances are good there will be no major case redesigns with perhaps making the MacBooks Aluminum, to match the rest of the product line, Perhaps the Chicklet Keyboard on the MacBook Pro.

Let me be the first I say "backlit chicklet." :p
Seriously, if you don't NEED a new MBP today, wait.
It may still be a few months away, but current form factor has been out a while now. I can't help but think something thinner is on the horizon.
And if you get one now, you'll be kicking yourself in a few months.

That said, if you absolutely need now, buy now and enjoy!

Regardless, there's always something new just around the corner...

twoodcc
Oct 27, 2007, 09:53 AM
maybe this is a sign that the mac pro will updated shortly? i doubt it though

mmendoza27
Oct 27, 2007, 10:18 AM
I am buying new Imac and kinda want Leopard Pre-installed. SO if I go to my Apple store today and they don't have any Imacs with Leopard preinstalled, I can go online and order it there and it will ship with it preinstalled????

Why wouldn't Apple just scale back their production on new computers before a new OS is released? I would have to believe that most people were like me and they would be waiting to purchase a new Mac until Leopard was released. This way they could actually ship some Macs with Leopard pre-installed.

I also believe there are other small things they have to do... like they are probably going to change their boxes. Right now, boxes have Tiger. With these changes, and installing Leopard on all of their assembly lines, it might take a while.

I bought mine yesterday and did the install, it was seamless and perfect and it's lookin' great!

anirban
Oct 27, 2007, 10:22 AM
Let me be the first I say "backlit chicklet." :p
Seriously, if you don't NEED a new MBP today, wait.
It may still be a few months away, but current form factor has been out a while now. I can't help but think something thinner is on the horizon.
And if you get one now, you'll be kicking yourself in a few months.

..And if you get one in a few months, you will be kicking yourself a few months after that..... its a vicious cycle of hardware updates- can never get out of it. :)

mmendoza27
Oct 27, 2007, 10:30 AM

I also believe there are other small things they have to do... like they are probably going to change their boxes. Right now, boxes have Tiger. With these changes, and installing Leopard on all of their assembly lines, it might take a while.

I bought mine yesterday and did the install, it was seamless and perfect and it's lookin' great!

jtkiley
Oct 27, 2007, 10:32 AM
I know they just refreshed the iMac line, but I'm waiting until the next improvement.

I read that stuff too, but I think they have it at least mostly worked out. I bought an iMac at retail last week, and it hasn't produced any of the prior reported problems.

All in all, I'm really thrilled with it, and Leopard is a great improvement too.

ericdano
Oct 27, 2007, 11:10 AM
Sweeet. A MacPro will go nicely with the M-Audio gear I just won from SoundonSound magazine.

Xmas came early this year.

gcortega
Oct 27, 2007, 11:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

has anyone noticed how bad the new photo booth backdrop effect is. Its horrible and barely works!!!

METOO999
Oct 27, 2007, 11:40 AM
This is how I got Tiger with my Mac Mini back when Tiger first came out. The Mini came with Panther Installer discs, and the Tiger disc was upgrade only. So everytime I wanted to do a clean reinstall, I had to install Panther first, erase the HD, and install Tiger.

Maybe there was an easier way? I could have gotten a bootable copy of the Tiger Retail from a friend, but I didn't care about the process.

It didn't matter much because eventually I got a Macbook with a regular Tiger disc.

bijou
Oct 27, 2007, 11:40 AM
We purchased another 24" iMac for work today and in the box was the Leopard disc in an insert. No documentation with it, however. At least it's a full copy.:)

joeconvert
Oct 27, 2007, 12:08 PM
:apple:Let's hope we DO see those rumored macbook updates soon! And also, let's hope it's not just a minor bump!:apple:

Agreed. Based on my experience so far the Macbook needs some help with Leopard.

farmboy
Oct 27, 2007, 12:16 PM
Oh I realize it's only the drop-in, but that's my point. It shouldn't be that way. My issue is, even if the new machine already has Tiger, what happens a few years, or God forbid, a few months down the road when a HDD crash happens and I need to do a full install? It seem ridiculous to have to load an older OS before being able to install the new one. Again, even MS does not make you do this with "upgrade" versions.

Besides, the "drop in" after the 26th, should BE the full retail version. Well, IMHO at least. :)

You're worried about what to do in a "few years"?! And not simply go to Software Update and download a FREE system update? That's too hard but you're planning a few years away?

BTW, I've had to install many MS Windows software updates prior to loading a new system. You can't install any software "upgrade" packages without the prior version--see Adobe, MS, etc. Everybody does this, not just Apple. Be glad you don't have to register/activate like everyone else makes you do.

Whistleway
Oct 27, 2007, 12:19 PM
Does Resolution Independence works? Any updates on that?

thanks!

OllyW
Oct 27, 2007, 12:25 PM
This is how I got Tiger with my Mac Mini back when Tiger first came out. The Mini came with Panther Installer discs, and the Tiger disc was upgrade only. So everytime I wanted to do a clean reinstall, I had to install Panther first, erase the HD, and install Tiger.

Maybe there was an easier way? I could have gotten a bootable copy of the Tiger Retail from a friend, but I didn't care about the process.

It didn't matter much because eventually I got a Macbook with a regular Tiger disc.

The Leopard drop-in DVD searches for OS 10.4 or higher before it will allow the install to proceed. If you want to do a clean install, as long as Tiger or Leopard are on the HDD you will be ok.

The only time you would have to re-load Tiger is if you fit a new HDD or if the OS is totally screwed up and won't boot.

berkleeboy210
Oct 27, 2007, 12:31 PM
I'm ordering a New MacBook on Monday or Tuesday from Apple.com, will report back on whether Leopard was pre-installed or if a DVD was in the Box.

Waiting till then, b/c just incase an update is released within the next couple weeks, I'll be able to return it should the upgrade be major. It's just a minor speedbump, I'll keep this revision until the sub-notebook makes an appearance.

sqrussi
Oct 27, 2007, 12:36 PM
i need some help here!

i will get a update disc leopard.. because i bougth a macbook for mi brother. but he dosnt need leopard.. CAN I USED HIS UPDATE FOR MI MACBOOK PRO?

THNKS!

OllyW
Oct 27, 2007, 12:41 PM
i need some help here!

i will get a update disc leopard.. because i bougth a macbook for mi brother. but he dosnt need leopard.. CAN I USED HIS UPDATE FOR MI MACBOOK PRO?

THNKS!

There is nothing to stop you from doing it and it will load Leopard on your MBP because it will have Tiger. Whether or not it is legal is another question?

koobcamuk
Oct 27, 2007, 12:56 PM
SO THIS NEXT MACBOOK UPDATE BETTER BE WORTH THE WAIT!

I doubt it will be. I would get that and a new ipod. Then sell the iPod and treat myself to something else.

I have the first gen MacBook and it's just fine. I don't think the new MacBook updates will be significant. Maybe a newer keyboard (same keys as the new wired and wireless aluminium ones) would be the largest change... :rolleyes:

koobcamuk
Oct 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
..And if you get one in a few months, you will be kicking yourself a few months after that..... its a vicious cycle of hardware updates- can never get out of it. :)

Buy today. If you buy tomorrow, you're a day closer the the next upgrade. The sooner you buy, the more the distance between the next upgrade and the more you might be able to justify buying the upgrade. If you wait... you'll wait forever.

Jetson
Oct 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
I read that stuff too, but I think they have it at least mostly worked out. I bought an iMac at retail last week, and it hasn't produced any of the prior reported problems.

All in all, I'm really thrilled with it, and Leopard is a great improvement too.
Thanks for the reassurance, jtkiley!

So you bought your brand new shiny iMac just last week? Congrats!

Did it come with Leopard already installed?

noahk
Oct 27, 2007, 01:38 PM
I heard the new OS is having the same "Blue Screen of Death" as the windows OS can aquire. Nice job with the testing Apple...

overcast
Oct 27, 2007, 02:28 PM
I heard the new OS is having the same "Blue Screen of Death" as the windows OS can aquire. Nice job with the testing Apple...
Thank you for that very informative and well supported post.

overcast
Oct 27, 2007, 02:29 PM
You're worried about what to do in a "few years"?! And not simply go to Software Update and download a FREE system update? That's too hard but you're planning a few years away?

BTW, I've had to install many MS Windows software updates prior to loading a new system. You can't install any software "upgrade" packages without the prior version--see Adobe, MS, etc. Everybody does this, not just Apple. Be glad you don't have to register/activate like everyone else makes you do.
Yes you can, you put in the upgrade disc and it asks for the previous disc to verify. That's it. The misinformation when it comes to ANYTHING outside Apple land on these forums is astounding.

hasah
Oct 27, 2007, 02:55 PM
Buy today. If you buy tomorrow, you're a day closer the the next upgrade. The sooner you buy, the more the distance between the next upgrade and the more you might be able to justify buying the upgrade. If you wait... you'll wait forever.

thats precisely why im waiting... cos the macbook is coming to the end of its cycle and there are rumors suggesting a macbook update is expected in november. also, if you look at the macrumors buyersguide, you'll see the macbook is usually updated approximately every 6months in april/may and oct/nov. so assuming these rumors are true and based on the history of the timing of macbooks updates... buying a macbook now would mean you are buying a macbook which will be replaced by a better macbook very soon. Also, the macbook is the only non-aluminium mac left in the apple mac range. so the next macbook update could be a major design update. hence, im holding out for a couple of more weeks and will buy as soon as the updated macbook is released :p

JMP
Oct 27, 2007, 02:59 PM
I haven't had a new Mac in years. The last Mac I bougth was a 9600 350!!!
The first was a Mac 128 back in 1985. Now I want to buy a new Macbook or an Imac 24" 2.8Ghz.
I don't know if I'll need the mobility. Anyways, should I wait for the new MacBooks to come out? Thanks for any piece of advice. I can wait about 2 weeks... I would hate to buy now and see the new ones come out a week or two later...

Darkroom
Oct 27, 2007, 03:04 PM
Finally, someone speaking truth!

this took a total of 5 seconds using the new Preview... it aint perfect, but it's acceptable...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/geoff_mattie/Picture1.jpg

i beg you all to AT LEAST use Preview to fix your images before posting them... my vomit is beginning to eroding my esophagus...

:D

aaronw1986
Oct 27, 2007, 03:04 PM
I haven't had a new Mac in years. The last Mac I bougth was a 9600 350!!!
The first was a Mac 128 back in 1985. Now I want to buy a new Macbook or an Imac 24" 2.8Ghz.
I don't know if I'll need the mobility. Anyways, should I wait for the new MacBooks to come out? Thanks for any piece of advice. I can wait about 2 weeks... I would hate to buy now and see the new ones come out a week or two later...

If you don't need mobility, then I'd suggest the iMac. More power, more screen real estate...

Uragon
Oct 27, 2007, 03:16 PM

make sure you have the courage to open the other one, otherwise, you need to buy another...:confused:

Uragon
Oct 27, 2007, 03:25 PM

My 10.4 Tiger seems snappier....wonder why?:o

Zadillo
Oct 27, 2007, 03:42 PM

Supposedly the cause of it is if you have Application Enhancer from Unsanity installed.

Not really Apple's fault.

-Zadillo

studiopix
Oct 27, 2007, 06:53 PM
this took a total of 5 seconds using the new Preview... it aint perfect, but it's acceptable...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/geoff_mattie/Picture1.jpg

i beg you all to AT LEAST use Preview to fix your images before posting them... my vomit is beginning to eroding my esophagus...

:D

You guys are hilarious. :) Also, to save a few seconds of post work, most digital cameras have the ability to adjust the white balance including special settings for tungsten lighting. It took me few years before I realized my Canon had this. Pays to read the manual. ;)

greatestash
Oct 27, 2007, 07:42 PM
The Leopard drop-in DVD searches for OS 10.4 or higher before it will allow the install to proceed. If you want to do a clean install, as long as Tiger or Leopard are on the HDD you will be ok.

The only time you would have to re-load Tiger is if you fit a new HDD or if the OS is totally screwed up and won't boot.

I have a question! i am going to buy imac in couple of days and if its pre installed with tiger n they give me leopard dvd to upgrade it, what will happen if i choose erase and install at the time of installation of leopard? after clean install, how can i get other applications like ilife which will be pre installed on tiger? will i get ilife cd also or i have to purchase it separately?

robogobo
Oct 27, 2007, 07:51 PM
Got a new Mac yesterday. I live in Switzerland. I went in planning to get the 2.8 24" iMac, but they were totally sold out here by 6pm! They said there was a THREE WEEK backorder on them. After about an hour debating, my girlfriend talked me into just dropping an extra 500francs and getting a Mac Pro, for the "long term". She's awesome. I'm a bit shellshocked, because I've been wanting one of these for years, since the first dual G5 screamer. We're having a baby in February, and I knew this was the last big chunk of change I'll be dropping for a while. I'm just getting started as a designer here. Wish me luck.

Oh, and Leopard shipment is still a week away here. waiting. patiently.

PS Thanks alot to Joel from the Milwaukee, WI Apple Store, who was on his Honeymoon with his wife and stopped into the Luzern store for the Leopard release (sans Leopard). I was looking for a sales guy who spoke English well enough to talk tech details, and Joel spoke up and helped me make my decision. He was on to Paris the next day.

infobhan
Oct 27, 2007, 08:51 PM

Have you seen the wallpaper in person? I thought I wasn't going to like it but it actually looks quite good.

aafuss1
Oct 28, 2007, 05:03 AM
Have you seen the wallpaper in person? I thought I wasn't going to like it but it actually looks quite good.

It's quite good-I have the default space one as my background.

Steve Works
Oct 28, 2007, 08:48 AM

with the new intel cpu comming out...i hope they don't just stick them only to mb pro... i've been waiting to buy a new mb...waiting until november sucks... but if we see just a minor cpu update (like 2,16GHz becoming the new end of the line) and then 5 or 6months later a big boost...THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK!!!
i don't want to buy a new laptop that becomes OLD 5 months later! Steve, i'm counting on you, don't let me down!

(i only wish those new Intel Penryn become part of mb and mb pro imediately)

Elflovag
Oct 28, 2007, 06:18 PM

I think this student offer was because they wanted to sell as many "old" macbooks as possible before they come out with the new mb. So it would be not a coincidence that this offer is finishing on the 30th october, because maybe they'll announce the new mb-s arriving on the first of november.

I'm only guessing, but I hope my guesses are right:) It seems reasonable though.

Elflovag
Oct 28, 2007, 06:24 PM
if we see just a minor cpu update (like 2,16GHz becoming the new end of the line) and then 5 or 6months later a big boost...THAT WOULD REALLY SUCK!!!

(i only wish those new Intel Penryn become part of mb and mb pro imediately)

I agree. Though I think it's quite likely that the CPU's won't be upgraded very much. I only hope that they change that old graphic chip, and put an aluminium on the mb.

I think that Penryn will surely not come out in the new mb-s. It would be too early.

Phooto
Oct 30, 2007, 12:29 PM
I just received my :apple:MB White 2.16GHz/120GB which I ordered on Sunday, but I guess after reading this lot, I'll return it unopened. What pain, having it here, and not opening it! :(

In any case, Leopard's not in the box (I ordered it from PC World with their 40 discount).

vffikoncer
Nov 3, 2007, 07:45 AM

aaronw1986
Nov 3, 2007, 05:16 PM
I have a question! i am going to buy imac in couple of days and if its pre installed with tiger n they give me leopard dvd to upgrade it, what will happen if i choose erase and install at the time of installation of leopard? after clean install, how can i get other applications like ilife which will be pre installed on tiger? will i get ilife cd also or i have to purchase it separately?

iLife will come on one of the restore DVD's. You will be able to re-install from this.

stermania
Nov 9, 2007, 11:53 AM
My 20 year old whined her way with me for a new MacBook.
It came with 10.5 installed. Nov 8, 2007

roblyh
Nov 11, 2007, 02:33 AM
My 20 year old whined her way with me for a new MacBook.
It came with 10.5 installed. Nov 8, 2007

Refer to the quote by stermania, that's a good news. To double confirm that, how many of you guys bought MBP recently with Leopard pre-installed? I really don't like to have 'drop-in' dvd in my purchase.