PDA

View Full Version : Apple Posts iPod Touch Television Ad

MacRumors
Oct 28, 2007, 07:32 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has posted a Quicktime (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/ads/) of the new iPod touch television advertisement that started airing tonight. The ad was inspired by a student made (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/26/apple-to-air-student-made-ipod-touch-ad/) advertisement posted to Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQUZPqDZb0) by Nick Haley.

The advertisement was made "broadcast-ready" by Apple's advertising agency, TBWA/Chiat/Day, but remains remarkable faithful to the original version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQUZPqDZb0).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/28/apple-posts-ipod-touch-television-ad/)

xUKHCx
Oct 28, 2007, 07:36 PM
That is very cool, they slow down some of the transitions which bothered me in the first ad but i really don't like the white flash.

Hairball
Oct 28, 2007, 07:36 PM
One of the best iPod commercials yet.

puckhead193
Oct 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
i just saw it on fox during the world series... what a lucky kid

zioxide
just saw it during the ws, looks pretty much identical to the original.

ejl10
Just saw the ad between innings - the final product came out very well. Props to Nick on a job well done!

ravenvii
Oct 28, 2007, 07:40 PM
That is very cool, they slow down some of the transitions which bothered me in the first ad but i really don't like the white flash.

x2

I was actually amazed they kept it almost identical. I figured the agency would think they know best and butcher it.

Bravo.

chrisdazzo
just saw this on the World Series... awesome commercial. :D :apple:

Muzzway
So.. what ever happened to that ad that Steve showed on September 5th?

TuffLuffJimmy
Oct 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
I like it a lot more than the current iPhone ads. Does anyone know what song that is?

DaftUnion
Oct 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
Love it.

appleguru1
Oct 28, 2007, 07:42 PM

I don't mind the white flash... it's a pretty good effect to use with that song IMO...

Just saw this ad on Fox about an hour ago during the NFL OT show after the pats/redskins game.. and again a few minutes ago between the top and bottom of the first innings of Game 4 of the World series.

In case 640x360 isn't enough pixels for you.. You can see the ad in all its HD glory here:

http://g.appleguru.org/touchad.mov (1280x720, 11.6MB, H.264 @ 70% w/ 128kbps AAC audio)

Original MPEG-2 Transport Stream (1280x720, 27.7MB, MPEG-2 Video, AC3 audio) (play with VLC or MPEG Streamclip...): http://g.appleguru.org/touch_ts.mpeg

BufferOverflow
Oct 28, 2007, 07:42 PM
Fantastic to see talent being poached from youTube by our beloved Apple. Even better that the ad has remained so true to the original form.

Beautifully executed :)

appleguru1
Oct 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
I like it a lot more than the current iPhone ads. Does anyone know what song that is?

Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex by CSS

drichx

The song is "Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex" by CSS.

Awesome ad. I'd love to be that kid!

Karpfish
just saw it on TV, that kid must be pretty happy. I'm off to make a Leopard commercial now. :rolleyes:

BufferOverflow
Oct 28, 2007, 07:44 PM

Music is my hot, hot sex by CSS

efb;

Karvel
Oct 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
Forget the ad, how awesome is that song!!

DaftUnion
Oct 28, 2007, 07:45 PM

CSS - Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex

rpaloalto
Oct 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
I liked the music. Makes me want to go out and buy one right now.

d_and_n5000
Oct 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
It is rather remarkable how close it remained - the only differences I can see offhand are the text transitions(one of them was originally inside the Touch, but in the final was the same as the rest) and the "iPod touch" whitescreen at the end, and the second apple beat right at the end.

Oct 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
Bravo to Nick and bravo to Chiat/Day, whose genius has shone through since the "1984" ad to the present.

The pacing and attitude are very reminiscent of the Shuffle ad featuring the Protypes "Who's Gonna Sing?" ... another extremely catchy commercial.

The first thing I noticed about Nick's version that I would have changed was the "8GB... 16GB... Mac + PC" bit... it's incongruous with Apple's attempt to stay on brand by keeping the focus on concepts and not specs. That's all I would have taken out and Chiat/Day did, plus they tightened up the editing a bit, and made it one hell of a snappy advert.

basesloaded190
Oct 28, 2007, 07:52 PM
i wonder what apple gave the kid to have them use his movie?? hmmm i would really like to know

CalBoy
Oct 28, 2007, 07:52 PM
I like this ad. Unlike the iPhone ads of late, this ad makes me want to buy a touch.

Well done Apple, well done.

ianogden
Oct 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
i hope that the student got royalties for that ad. :apple:

queshy
Oct 28, 2007, 07:58 PM
just saw it on TV, that kid must be pretty happy. I'm off to make a Leopard commercial now. :rolleyes:
Lol.

That was a great ad though...loved it. I'm surprised they conserved so much of the original. I think it was good they took out the 8/16 gb parts though, sorta belittles the device. And everybody knows it's Mac+PC now so it's good they took that out too.

Perfectly executed.

Oct 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
i hope that the student got royalties for that ad. :apple:

I doubt it. Because Nick's YouTube ad uses Apple trademarks without their permission, and CSS's music without theirs, the only thing he probably got was immunity from several intellectual property lawsuits. Not that that's a bad thing.

:)

When DJ group DNA was approached by EMI about their underground remix of Susanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" (a capella in the original), EMI agreed not to sue DNA in exchange for DNA's service in remastering a professional copy of the mix. EMI paid them an advance of a few thousand... just enough to pay for the studio time to do a professional remix.

basesloaded190
Oct 28, 2007, 08:02 PM
I doubt it. Because Nick's YouTube ad uses Apple trademarks without their permission, and CSS's music without theirs, the only thing he probably got was immunity from several intellectual property lawsuits. Not that that's a bad thing.

that would suck because if apple didn't use it as a commerical i highly doubt they would have done anything about it anyways.

xUKHCx
Oct 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
Anyone know what song that was?

The original version of the ad is a fast-paced tour of the iPod Touch set to the song "Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex" by CSS."

Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex by CSS

CSS - Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex

Music is my hot, hot sex by CSS

efb;

The song is "Music Is My Hot, Hot Sex" by CSS.

Awesome ad. I'd love to be that kid!

yoman
Oct 28, 2007, 08:07 PM
Instances like these is what makes the internet so amazing. Good for the author and for the ad agency for keeping the same tone of the ad.

yoman
Oct 28, 2007, 08:10 PM
I like comparing this ad with Microsoft's Zune ad (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/microsoft-releases-zune-graveyard-commercial). Amusing : )

bbydon
Oct 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
that would suck because if apple didn't use it as a commerical i highly doubt they would have done anything about it anyways.

He was contacted to use the ad....don't know what he got out of it though

Frisco
Oct 28, 2007, 08:19 PM
Great commercial!! Better than any iPhone commercial. This ad gets better everytime I see it. It's awesome and a winner!

appleguru1
Oct 28, 2007, 08:29 PM
He was contacted to use the ad....don't know what he got out of it though

Well they flew him out from the UK to California to re-make the ad.. and I'm sure they compensated him with some cash too ;)

dizastor
Oct 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
Man I didn't know CSS could sing.

I love what they've done with the web.

macsmurf
Oct 28, 2007, 08:35 PM
This commercial made me think of a great spoof for the iPhone. Same basic setup. The music would be an up-beat version of Spleen United: "She falls in love with machines" (nobody probably knows this band outside of Denmark). The finger would be flicking through numerous thirdparty apps for iPhone and the lyrics are:

She falls in love with machines and that's why
She fell in love with me yeah that's right
She doesn't know what it means to be my girl
She doesn't know what I mean by control
She doesn't know what it takes to be my girl

Control
Control

In the end the finger tries in vain to flick away the word "Control", but the word keeps coming back.

:D

(Alas, no audio/video skills)

irahodges
Oct 28, 2007, 08:36 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't like this add. I love the fact that this kid did it and they stayed true to the original version, but cmon. I guess Chiat/Day was out of ideas for the iPod touch. Good music though!

DTphonehome
Oct 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
I like comparing this ad with Microsoft's Zune ad (http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/microsoft-releases-zune-graveyard-commercial). Amusing : )

Interestingly enough, CSS was one of the bands who had a song preloaded on the Zune. I bought it on iTunes after hearing it in a store coming from a ZUne display :)

hotinplaya
Oct 28, 2007, 08:41 PM
I think its a great ad, and congrats to the kid

here is a nice article

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/25/business/media/26apple-web.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

sam10685
Oct 28, 2007, 08:53 PM
I saw this earlier and thought it was way different from what Apple usually does.

joemama
Oct 28, 2007, 08:58 PM
Sorry...I just don't find it that appealing. While I'm happy for the kid, the commercial's pretty lame.

But then again, I don't like the whole iPhone campaign to begin with.

Kingsly
Oct 28, 2007, 08:59 PM
As with Transformers, I must dissent. Worst Apple ad I've ever seen. :(

mikey.f
Oct 28, 2007, 09:00 PM
I really like this ad. :)

Whistleway
Oct 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
The more I watch it, the more I like it.

My initial reaction was uh..huh.. but, after a couple of plays, I quite think it is one of the best ipod ads I have seen.

I usually hate most of Apple ads by the way.

MacTheSpoon
Oct 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
This is pretty awesome. Nice, Apple!

Bjerre
Oct 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
This commercial made me think of a great spoof for the iPhone. Same basic setup. The music would be an up-beat version of Spleen United: "She falls in love with machines" (nobody probably knows this band outside of Denmark). The finger would be flicking through numerous thirdparty apps for iPhone and the lyrics are:

She falls in love with machines and that's why
She fell in love with me yeah that's right
She doesn't know what it means to be my girl
She doesn't know what it takes to be my girl

Control
Control

In the end the finger tries in vain to flick away the word "Control", but the word keeps coming back.

:D

(Alas, no audio/video skills)

HOLY CRAP, I was thinking the same thing, I didn't know anyone that's ever heard of Spleen United. P.S. I'm American/Australian and Spleen United is one of my favourite bands.

Stang68
Oct 28, 2007, 09:32 PM
I didnt like it very much. I thought it was a fresh new way from the old ads, with the upbeat fast song, but I didnt think it was made very well, even by the Apple ad company. I say this because it is almost hard to watch, like my eyes hurt because there is so much going on. And then the fact that they show the itunes store logo instead of in text like [U]all[U] the other features kind of makes me mad. But I cant wait to see it on TV to see what my friends think. They all know i have a touch, so they will be jealous all over again! Hahaha :D

chr1s60
Oct 28, 2007, 09:40 PM

When DJ group DNA was approached by EMI about their underground remix of Susanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" (a capella in the original), EMI agreed not to sue DNA in exchange for DNA's service in remastering a professional copy of the mix. EMI paid them an advance of a few thousand... just enough to pay for the studio time to do a professional remix.

I am sure he still got some kind of money or compensation because even though he did use their trademarks and the music, the commercial idea and layout is still owned by him. I am pretty sure if it came down to it they could all sue him and he could sue them for using his ad. I am pretty sure he got a decent chunk of change for the commercial.

Floop
Oct 28, 2007, 09:47 PM
And here he is, at the Leopard launch! This blogger randomly bumped into him while they were waiting in line too...

http://theappleofmyi.com/blog/?p=1270

pamon
Oct 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
just caught it during the end of the 7th inning for the World series. hot ad. great content. tons better than the prior iPod ads. kudos

Jetson
Oct 28, 2007, 10:13 PM
That ad was "okay", kind of run of the mill by today's standards.

I hated the song, and it's got that MTV type flash editing.

Obviously it's popular with it's target demographic, people in their 20s and younger, so it should be successful.

Pixbae
Oct 28, 2007, 10:39 PM
I think the ad is fun and catchy, and goes well with the music, but I thought Chiat\Day would clean it up a bit more. For example, why are the words "Safari" and "WiFi" so much HUGER than the previous words... and couldn't they give him some new content in terms of which letters the finger was typing?

Overall, it still just looks very... amateur.

BWhaler
Oct 28, 2007, 10:40 PM
Great ad. Love seeing people being recognized like this.

wakka092
Oct 28, 2007, 11:35 PM
Apple or Chiat\Day was determined to remove 8GB & 16GB, probably because they could have be ashamed. :(

salilsundresh
Oct 28, 2007, 11:40 PM
"Broadcast-ready" often involves simply leveling your whites, and making sure gamma, brightness contrast, etc are all suitable for broadcasting. This usually doesn't have to do very much with the actual content.

applefan69
Oct 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

lucky kid. I don't understand why so many of you "dislike" the ad. The people who give a reason have dumb reasons like "its not apples style" or "its too bright and fast"

In all honesty it sounds like you guys are jealous cause your being overly picky about this ad.

running
Oct 29, 2007, 12:00 AM
hey, why nobody noticed that the very same song was used for this Microsoft Zune Ad (http://zuneinsider.com/archive/2006/11/02/1824.aspx) with Lion and Gazelle?

(I like the Apple ad more, but well, CSS is now the band with the best mp3-player-ads-per-song ratio :-) )

celloman
Oct 29, 2007, 12:03 AM
the ad is really nice

Ryan5505
Oct 29, 2007, 12:49 AM

Just take a macbook and make the screen blue, there you go you have leopard. :rolleyes:

I am just upset it took so long to install on a intel macbook

Evangelion
Oct 29, 2007, 01:00 AM
Apple or Chiat\Day was determined to remove 8GB & 16GB, probably because they could have be ashamed. :(

In short: cut the crap.

JimmyDreams
Oct 29, 2007, 01:45 AM
I liked the ad so much that I just downloaded the damn song from iTunes!!

(what a marketing gaff that would have been if it wasn't available!!!) :p

dogtanian
Oct 29, 2007, 03:20 AM
How cool is that! Lucky guy.

Love the ad, admit the first time I was a bit so-so about it but having seen it a few times, i've also bought the song from iTunes too. Cheap ad for Apple and the ad agency too!

KIRA
Oct 29, 2007, 03:31 AM
after having seen that ad, I want to go out and get the iPod touch even though I have an iPhone!

rockthecasbah
Oct 29, 2007, 05:31 AM
The ad was superb, but flat out amazing when you compare it to the original made by that kid. Apple hardly touched a thing in the ad, and for a company to flat out use something made by a customer (without it even being a competition to make an ad) is remarkable. Kudos to the kid... I wonder if Apple's marketing offered him a job :p

twoodcc
Oct 29, 2007, 06:31 AM
One of the best iPod commercials yet.

i agree. one of my favorites

GoCubsGo
Oct 29, 2007, 07:05 AM
i just saw it on fox during the world series... what a lucky kid
Strike "lucky" add "talented". ;)
i hope that the student got royalties for that ad. :apple:I'm sure there will be a little more than royalities paid out.

That ad was "okay", kind of run of the mill by today's standards.

I hated the song, and it's got that MTV type flash editing.

Obviously it's popular with it's target demographic, people in their 20s and younger, so it should be successful.
The song is definately not for everyone. It is indeed targeted to grab your attention and not targeted at the 20-somethings. I am not 20-something and found the ad to be quite good. It certainly caught my attention and serves a few purposes. One, it made me download the damn song from iTunes resulting in the band becoming recognized by a certain demographic that did not know they existed until last week. Two, it made me think that the IPT was indeed a very cool device and has some features that is making me think I may want one than I originally thought. Finally, it has highlighted that there is true talent on the web. I am not sure of the so-called MTV flash editing as I'm not knowledgeable in the production of commercials or editing to really get it. I can simply say that it looked good, caught my eye, made me at least think about the product after the fact...ergo purpose served.

Hardly a run of the mill commercial, do you even watch TV? If that is run of the mill to you I wonder what you watch. I mean, it could have been some commercial with regular users in front of a black curtain (a similar set up done by the "Truth" commercials and Kodak, bitching about the sheer number of devices they used to put in their man bags and how the iPhone revolutionized their lifestyle and now they can drop the emo man bag and just use their pocket. I mean it could have been such a wonderfully designed commerical as that...I guess. :rolleyes: Clearly it won't be for everyone, but it's really not a run of the mill ad either.

I'm stoked for the kid and how he must be on cloud 9 right now. It was exciting to see the ad during the World Series as well, that is huge...at least in the US.

lodenmuse
Oct 29, 2007, 08:05 AM
People are too easy to impress. The best thing about this ad is the song choice.

The turning touch at the beginning is wonderful, but the ad fails because it has no focus. It tries to jam every feature into the ad in a way not nearly as elegant as the "There's never been an iPod that..." ads. You're left afterwards thinking, "Safari what?" The hopping icons, backwards swiping "touch", and off-beat throbbing :apple: at the end all make it a bit amateurish.

But CSS will sell albums, Chiat/Day looks like a good guy, Apple gets twice as much ad exposure for their dollar, and the kid gets noticed. So it's win, win, win, win.

:(

Mac Heretic
Oct 29, 2007, 09:24 AM
The story has it all: excellent creativity, call from apple (they were probably thinking wheter to sue or hire him ) and a good end result. Touchy.

I was really surprised how little changes there were needed, sounds very uncommon, since the final preparation may have taken just one key element (rhythm, music or something else) and changed all others. That, more than anything shows how well this guy hit the nail. Congrats.

All the other elements were a big plus and must have affected in the decision to take it: it makes a good publicity for Apple's You Tube -services, had a presumably not too costly soundtrack to get and use, and the guy looked like a real Mac user. Maybe they should use Nick as an apple guy in that tv commercial, too. ;)

jimsowden
Oct 29, 2007, 10:14 AM
Does anyone remember the iPod touch ad Steve aired during the iPod special event where they announced the iPod touch? I remember it being unfinished, but I think it was better than this ad. Why haven't we heard about this ad yet? I'm thinking maybe they ditched it and replaced it with this kid's version.

iAFC
Oct 29, 2007, 10:22 AM
Anyone know what song that was?

By the way, CSS stands for "Cansei de Ser Sexy" in Portuguese, which means "Tired of Being Sexy".

pubius
Oct 29, 2007, 11:08 AM
this ad is straight up snooze. all i see here is a bullent pointed list of product attributes, which is just as structurally boring as a powerpoint presentation. you can put a interesting song behind that too, in the end it's still conceptless. this is the type of thing that account execs toast over (cheap to produce, no confusing concept) and creative people hang their heads in shame (no concept, boring).

so the main idea here is to inform the public of functionality then. which also seems like a waste since pretty much everyone already knows that it's an iphone minus about 6 or 7 apps. apple, as a brand, has (almost) always been sold on it's emotion, not technical bullet lists. especially because apple is renouned in it's design of u.i. already.

so the focus groups played back the strategy word for word. and creativy takes another hit.

p.s.- quick edits and fast zooms are creative now? man, people really expect very little don't they.

windywalks
Oct 29, 2007, 03:13 PM

You should acctually compare it to the this ad The Ballad of Lion and Gazelle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd-fMA0HFUE)
It's one of the ads from the "Welcome to the social" original Zune campaign. This is where I first heard the song by CSS.
Isn't this a bit sarcastic towards Microsoft?
The Apple (the students) ad is so much better, then again I sorta liked the animals - the Touch ad is very product-centered.
Then again it's how it is at Apple - cool video, catchy tune, product sold.

Glenn Wolsey
Oct 29, 2007, 03:18 PM
Just bought the song off iTunes, nice commercial, maybe a little zippy though.

Prof.
Oct 29, 2007, 04:38 PM
Very cool. I like it better than the original one!

Prof. :apple:

Alloye
Oct 29, 2007, 04:41 PM
Love the ad. Very catchy and fun to watch.

Taylor C
Oct 29, 2007, 05:04 PM
REALLY like the new ad. Congratulations to the kid who put it together, he did a really nice job. This is amazing recognition for your work.

Wayfarer
Oct 29, 2007, 05:13 PM
I must say.... best iPod ad yet! :D

SamIchi
Oct 29, 2007, 07:08 PM
Just saw it on TV. Very cool Apple did that. I wonder what the kid got besides recognition. Not that I wouldn't be happy if Apple decided to put out a commercial inspired by me, but shouldn't the kid get somethin' like an iPod.

nvbrit
Oct 29, 2007, 07:32 PM
Just saw it on TV. Very cool Apple did that. I wonder what the kid got besides recognition. Not that I wouldn't be happy if Apple decided to put out a commercial inspired by me, but shouldn't the kid get somethin' like an iPod.

Well considering the production ad is almost identical to the ad he produced, I am sure he has been paid very hansomly in real US $$$$$ in addition to possibly some Mac products, and he is probably also receiving royalties for everytime the ad airs, unless they just paid him a large lump sum for exclusive rights

SamIchi
Oct 29, 2007, 07:59 PM
Well considering the production ad is almost identical to the ad he produced, I am sure he has been paid very hansomly in real US $$$$$ in addition to possibly some Mac products, and he is probably also receiving royalties for everytime the ad airs, unless they just paid him a large lump sum for exclusive rights

Well that's good to hear.

Rocketman
Oct 29, 2007, 11:52 PM
When I saw it first on Youtube I thought it was "emotionally riveting" and "edgy". The professional upgrade retains all that and added that sensational scene with the water rush, but actually outdoes the iPod ad demoed at WWDC-06 (I think) where Steve showed an animated version then showed a color magnified version. It rocked then. This rocked more, but in a similar vein.

Apple is shooting for edgy. It is a hit.

BTW the stores are JAMMED.

Kids will be kids.

Rocketman

OBTW, wait till we see that ad in eastern Europe! :)

kellygeorge
Oct 30, 2007, 09:09 AM
atleast this time apple contacted the guy who designed the concept, instead of just ripping it off like some of the past commercials. funny thing is the original is all done by editing of the ipod touch video on apple, no original material, so i guess they could have just "made their own" similar to it.

jmpage2
Oct 30, 2007, 11:46 PM

Companies pay tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for a top flight ad. I'm sure that the guy who made it got a heckuva lot more than an iPod. For one thing he's got a ticket now into a real career once he's done with school.

Nov 1, 2007, 11:01 AM
I am sure he still got some kind of money or compensation because even though he did use their trademarks and the music, the commercial idea and layout is still owned by him. I am pretty sure if it came down to it they could all sue him and he could sue them for using his ad. I am pretty sure he got a decent chunk of change for the commercial.

For sake of argument: If it came down to it, they could sue him and just not use the ad... Apple suing him doesn't obligate Apple to actually using the ad. He can't sue them unless they use it. They can sue him because he's already used their trademarks.

The reality is probably that they gave him a small advance... just large enough to cover the cost of producing a broadcast-ready version of it. If he's smart he'll do the job efficiently enough to save some of the advance. Many people don't... often getting suckered into deals like this because to them the money is a lot, but to the owner of the intellectual property it's cheaper than hiring union people to do it. (That's the whole trick behind shows like American Idol and Project Greenlight...)

It might have been a few thousand dollars... which, if anything had to be reshot, could be burned through really fast. But if the kid was really smart and did the whole thing very inexpensively, he could pocket the rest of the advance.

At any rate it doesn't matter if the kid didn't get a dime... he got demo material for which a lot of other companies are going to be calling him with offers.

That's kind of the mixed blessing about losing a contest like American Idol. If you win, you're bound to a really ugly contract where the show's producer, Simon Fuller, owns you and everything you record... but if you lose and get booted off the show, if you're still pretty good you'll get calls and be able to negotiate contracts on your own terms.