PDA

View Full Version : One Click Jailbreaks for iPhone and iPod Touch

MacRumors
Oct 29, 2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Over the weekend, a couple of one-click web-based Jailbreak solutions were published for both the iPhone and iPod Touch.

One that received a lot of attention, and provides some answers to common questions is published at http://www.jailbreakme.com/. Before you visit the site with your iPhone or iPod Touch, read on.

The features list is as follows:
1. Jailbreaks iPhone/iPod Touch on 1.1.1
2. Patches Springboard to load third party apps
3. Activates non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
4. Fixes YouTube on non-AT&T iPhones automatically, while leaving already activated phones alone
5. Installs Installer.app v3.0b5 on the iPhone/iPod Touch
6. Fixes Apple's TIFF bug, making your device MORE secure than it was without AppSnapp!

The site uses the known TIFF exploit which allows individuals to execute arbitrary code on the iPhone or iPod Touch by simply loading a TIFF image with Safari. Normally this is considered a "bad thing" in that virues, or other comprimising code can be deployed to unsuspecting users.

In this case, the exploit offers users a simple way to jailbreak and install 3rd party apps. It even claims to fix the TIFF exploit it used to hack your iPhone/iPod.

Obviously we need to be cautious about these exploits as it's possible (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/10/1-1-1-jailbreak-complete-security-ramifications/) that someone with more sinister motives could deploy a similar site to unsuspecting users. This particular url appears to have been tested (http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/29/instant-jailbreak-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/) by a number of sites, but proceed with caution.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/29/one-click-jailbreaks-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

iSee
Oct 29, 2007, 03:41 PM
Nice.

Apple, though, has me scared. I'm afraid to crack my iPhone at all for fear of it getting bricked at some point in the future.

Geeze, all I want is a custom ringtone and maybe a few games...

TitoC
Oct 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
Well, after taking all of my 3rd party apps off and doing a complete "Restore" to my iPhone since my native as well as 3rd party apps were starting to act "Buggy" under 1.1.1, I got to say, this new and improved version is really nice. Not only because of the ultra-simple install process, but also because everything seems to be quite stable now. Very nice. And VERY quick I might add.

Been using it now all day and everything seems to be working just like it did in version "1.02 days."

One word of advice though: If you plan on installing via this method, I highly recommend doing a "Restore" beforehand if you already have AppInstaller and 3rd party apps on you phone since older preference files and such need to be updated. I have heard of users who did NOT do a "Restore" beforehand (users who had already had 3rd party Apps on 1.02 as well as 1.1.1 phones) and were having problems with many Apps not running correctly or not at all.

Apparently, the new method of installing does not update some older files necessary for some apps to run smoothly. Just my advice.

AppleSJ511606
Oct 29, 2007, 03:54 PM
I tried this on my iPhone and any application launches for 2 seconds then suddenly quite & goes home.

Any fix????

Angelo921
Oct 29, 2007, 03:57 PM
Well, after taking all of my 3rd party apps off and doing a complete "Restore" to my iPhone since my native as well as 3rd party apps were starting to act "Buggy" under 1.1.1, I got to say, this new and improved version is really nice. Not only because of the ultra-simple install process, but also because everything seems to be quite stable now. Very nice. And VERY quick I might add.

Been using it now all day and everything seems to be working just like it did in version "1.02 days."

One word of advice though: If you plan on installing via this method, I highly recommend doing a "Restore" beforehand if you already have AppInstaller and 3rd party apps on you phone since older preference files and such need to be updated. I have heard of users who did NOT do a "Restore" beforehand (users who had already had 3rd party Apps on 1.02 as well as 1.1.1 phones) and were having problems with many Apps not running correctly or not at all.

Apparently, the new method of installing does not update some older files necessary for some apps to run smoothly. Just my advice.

restore back to 1.0.2 or 1.11 before running http://www.jailbreakme.com? I currently have 3rd party apps on my 1.1.1 but the phone is acting funny and some of the apps dont work well as well as the phone shuts down sometimes. I want to go the http://www.jailbreakme.com route.

AppleSJ511606
Oct 29, 2007, 04:03 PM
I fortunately DID restore 1.0.2, then upgraded to 1.1.1, then used Apptapp (jailbreakme.com) and my applications STILL seem buggy :(

TitoC
Oct 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
restore back to 1.0.2 or 1.11 before running http://www.jailbreakme.com? I currently have 3rd party apps on my 1.1.1 but the phone is acting funny and some of the apps dont work well as well as the phone shuts down sometimes. I want to go the http://www.jailbreakme.com route.

You're in exactly the same boat I was. I was running 1.1.1 with 3rd party apps and things were acting quite buggy.

Do a "Restore" which will restore your iPhone to the latest 1.1.1 firmware as well as get rid of any 3rd party apps, preferences, etc. Don't go back to 1.02 since I believe this new installer method runs best under 1.1.1.

After restoring, sync your iPhone to itunes to get all your photos, music and such back on.

Visit the http://www.jailbreakme.com route.[/QUOTE] site and follow the instructions.

After installing via this method, I immediately (via the "Installer App on my iPhone) installed BSD subsystem, Community Sources, Open SSH as well as Services (which lets you turn off or on your SSH).

P.S. Follow the instructions on the site. After installing via the site, Safari disappears and you return to the main Home screen, you're good. Just wait a minute more for your unit to restart--don't touch anything until you see the slide to unlock screen.

yetanotherdave
Oct 29, 2007, 04:29 PM
I would like to use this, purely to get their tiff patch. Unfortunately it would probably mean undoing all the application downloading and stuff I've done to it previously. Any new on whether how else to apply this patch?

badtzmaru
Oct 29, 2007, 04:37 PM
I would like to use this, purely to get their tiff patch. Unfortunately it would probably mean undoing all the application downloading and stuff I've done to it previously. Any new on whether how else to apply this patch?

If you have installer on your iphone, there is an app under "Tweaks 1.1.1" that will fix the Tiff exploit. of course this means you have to have 1.1.1 running. i dont think theres a fix for 1.02

TitoC
Oct 29, 2007, 04:37 PM
One side note: Playing a song then going to any App will more than likely make your system "Buggy" (i.e. your App quitting, returning you to your home screen, making a game start over, etc.). This is because of memory allocations I believe. If you want to run an App, it looks like you must "pause" your song, then launch your App.

So far, this is the only thing I have encountered as far as things running stable or not with the current 3rd party Apps.

megfilmworks
Oct 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
This exploit will not remain open. It is a wide open door to malware. These hackers that figure these things out are super smart (I'm sure Apple enjoys the free service they provide),
but I would not invest the time to use this exploit on my iPhone as it will have a very short shelf life.

meagain
Oct 29, 2007, 05:18 PM
Can anyone advise? I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I should do in my situation with the following 2 phones:

My Phone: AT&T is NOT on this phone but youtube, etc. works due to using my husband's SIM to cheat it to work. It is hacked (installer) and has 1.0.2.

My husband's phone: unhacked 1.0.2 with AT&T.

I'm unclear what I should do with these 2 different iPhone situations. I want to end up with both running 1.1.1 and hacked. (hopefully the voice recorder and iTunes emailer thing is still available). I just don't want to muck this up. Appreciate it.

jecapaga
Oct 29, 2007, 05:45 PM
This exploit will not remain open. It is a wide open door to malware. These hackers that figure these things out are super smart (I'm sure Apple enjoys the free service they provide),
but I would not invest the time to use this exploit on my iPhone as it will have a very short shelf life.

Agreed.. very short shelf life. software update tomorrow.

Demon
Oct 29, 2007, 05:49 PM
This is not likely to last. There's no way Apple will allow such a simple security break to go uncorrected. Nevertheless, I wish I will wait till Apple properly unlocks the iPod... come on Apple, let me put software on my iPod PDA already! :o

TitoC
Oct 29, 2007, 06:00 PM

This is nothing new. This exploit has been around since the beginning but most recently noticed in 1.1.1. Even if Apple were to release an update, all someone would have to do is to revert back to 1.02 or earlier to still have this exploit still around. It is embedded in all firmware versions.

Even after the heightened publicity during the early "TIFF-exploit" hacks of 1.1.1, Apple still did not release a fix. If they haven't done so already (1.1.1 has been around for more than a few days . . . ), I doubt they're going to now.

One reason someone might want to consider to use this AppTap installer is that it actually FIXES this TIFF exploit. Something Apple has not opted to do so far.

Now how's that for hacking! Use the TIFF exploit to install, then FIX the exploit. Pretty ironic.

jarrodtb
Oct 29, 2007, 08:05 PM
anybody else try clicking the install link and it shuts down safari after just a couple seconds without finishing the install?

JB

megfilmworks
Oct 29, 2007, 08:09 PM
... how's that for hacking! Use the TIFF exploit to install, then FIX the exploit. Pretty ironic.Ironic and smart.

EthanNixon
Oct 29, 2007, 08:19 PM
I always wanted to have the native apps on my phone, so I tried this out for once. This isn't the first time I have done something like this either, I was big into it with the PSP. However, there really is no use for it with the iPhone... The applications are not nearly complete enough to be called an app from what I can see. So I just restored my iPhone. Now I know I can wait untill apple sends those applications out!

chrissurra
Oct 29, 2007, 08:40 PM
I used the original method to jailbreak 1.1.1 and it was very buggy. I restored back to factory settings and didnt load my backup on the phone. I waited for itunes to activate the phone, then when I did the jailbreakme route it was MUCH more stable.

It hasnt crashed once and all my apps run like 1.0.2 Im VERY happy with this method.

mustang_dvs
Oct 29, 2007, 09:18 PM
anybody else try clicking the install link and it shuts down safari after just a couple seconds without finishing the install?Having the exact same problem -- I wonder if it's the result of the site getting hammered.

mustang_dvs
Oct 29, 2007, 09:56 PM
Still no luck... but now, it seems, that my iToner 1.0.4-installed ringtones are gone... (poof)...:confused:

strongesthylian
Oct 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
Can anyone advise? I'm a bit confused as to what exactly I should do in my situation with the following 2 phones:

My Phone: AT&T is NOT on this phone but youtube, etc. works due to using my husband's SIM to cheat it to work. It is hacked (installer) and has 1.0.2.

My husband's phone: unhacked 1.0.2 with AT&T.

I'm unclear what I should do with these 2 different iPhone situations. I want to end up with both running 1.1.1 and hacked. (hopefully the voice recorder and iTunes emailer thing is still available). I just don't want to muck this up. Appreciate it.

Best thing would be to restore (not update) both iPhones to firmware 1.1.1, then use http://jailbreakme.com.

Since one of the phones won't be activated once updated to 1.1.1, there's a trick to access Safari so that you can access jailbreakme.com. Here's a link for that trick:
http://www.jailbreakme.com/safari.html

EDIT: I found a video of the whole jailbreakme process.
http://www.hacktheiphone.com/111/iphone_information_1.html

djkirsten
Oct 30, 2007, 12:15 AM
Having the exact same problem -- I wonder if it's the result of the site getting hammered.

thats what its supposed to do. When you go to the link it will "crash" your safari, DONT TOUCH IT, and it should go to sleep. When you wake it up you'll have the installer app. Read the TUAW page and it explains everything. This is so far the easiest way EVER to jailbreak the phone. I love not having to use a computer, terminal commands, ssh, iphuc, blah blah blah....

This is amazing!

Angelo921
Oct 30, 2007, 12:36 AM
anybody else try clicking the install link and it shuts down safari after just a couple seconds without finishing the install?

JB

When i click on install nothing happens. Ive let my iphone sit for 10 minutes and none of the buttons work until I have to reboot. Anyone else have this problem?

spazzcat
Oct 30, 2007, 07:28 AM
Having the exact same problem -- I wonder if it's the result of the site getting hammered.

I am this issue too with safari closing, has anyone figured out why or how to get around it?

mustang_dvs
Oct 30, 2007, 07:29 AM
thats what its supposed to do. When you go to the link it will "crash" your safari, DONT TOUCH IT, and it should go to sleep. When you wake it up you'll have the installer app. Read the TUAW page and it explains everything.
I did read the TUAW page:... If Safari disappears and you return to the main Home screen, you're good. Just wait a minute more for your unit to restart--don't touch anything until you see the slide to unlock screen...The iPhone isn't supposed to go to "sleep" -- it is supposed to restart, which isn't happening. (For that matter, autosleeping and waking up doesn't do anything, either.) I let it sit for 8 hours with no change.

FWIW, this was an AT&T-locked iPhone that I jailbroke in 1.0.2, restored to 1.1.1, reinstalled ringtones via iToner 1.0.4 and then tried the web-based jailbreak.

twoodcc
Oct 30, 2007, 07:47 AM
i want to try this....but maybe i should wait til i'm by my mac

daysleeper
Oct 30, 2007, 08:11 AM
Okay, I haven't done anything to my iPhone until now, but I couldn't resist two things:

1. one-click jailbreaking.
2. one-click fix for the TIFF exploit.

Let's hear Apple tell me my warranty is voided because I decided to fix a serious security flaw that they have yet to address. The day that happens is the day I stop buying Apple products. I see this development as a serious one for Apple-- until now, they've been able to play the "we know better" card with users. Now, what are they going to say if someone says they jailbreaked the phone to fix an obvious security issue?

Also, for those applications that are opening and closing immediately, you need to restart and/or install the BSD subsystem, then SSH. Also, as pointed out by a poster on Engadget, it might be wise to install the terminal app, and reset your password with the "passwd" command.

There aren't that many useful apps, but it's worth it for Erica Sadun's voice recorder alone.

d.f
Oct 30, 2007, 08:20 AM
how do you fix YouTube....? i see in the video demo that Youtube does not work automatically. does anyone know how to fix this part once you've used the jailbreakme method...? any help appreciated.

pacohaas
Oct 30, 2007, 09:00 AM
First "hack" I've allowed to run on my iPhone, very easy once it actually ran. I probably went to the site 10 times before I realized that it was supposed to shut down Safari. It was a bit unstable for a while until I had turned the phone off and on a couple times. Now, everything(including youtube) seems to work as usual, I'm an AT&T customer, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The next time you go to the site after installing, you will just see a little ? where the broken TIFF image is since the exploit has been fixed.

The first app I installed was PONG, I found that it would just quit out immediately so I left it at that for a while, uninstalled iPong and did a bit more reading. I noticed everyone was recommending installing BSD Subsystem, so I installed that and once I did, PONG worked, so there must be some files that pong uses but doesn't install through Installer.app. I also noticed that you can't uninstall BSD subsystem, this might be because Pong relies on it, or it just might not be an option for this package because the only option I see is to Reinstall it.

The next thing I installed was Community Sources, which is a library of software not created by the Installer.app people. You get a little warning about not installing software from people you don't trust...a good recommendation.

Anyhow, it seems stable now and looks like there's some "cute" apps, but nothing I would really NEED. I know there was a thread a while ago that talked about the apps that were keeping people from upgrading to 1.1.1 before it was hacked so I'll have to dig that up and try some of those out. I do wish Navizon was free/released by apple and integrated into Maps.app.

Also, I'm wondering what Apple could do if you said a friend sent me a link and I clicked it on my iPhone, next thing I knew I had another icon on my homescreen. Certainly someone could have constructed a much less friendly website that just directed straight to the .tif image without the nice menu. Since Apple has known about this flaw for a while and not plugged it up, it seems like it would be their fault that a website is able to do this.

meagain
Oct 30, 2007, 09:15 AM
Strong - Thanks. I'll take a look at that.

pacohaas
Oct 30, 2007, 09:38 AM
Has anyone installed this on one of Apple's iPhones that are on display in the retail stores?

meagain
Oct 30, 2007, 09:56 AM
Has anyone installed this on one of Apple's iPhones that are on display in the retail stores?

:eek: Oh my.

meagain
Oct 30, 2007, 09:57 AM
Is Voice recorder and iTunes emailer both available on the 1.1.1 version?

mustang_dvs
Oct 30, 2007, 10:28 AM
I did read the TUAW page:The iPhone isn't supposed to go to "sleep" -- it is supposed to restart, which isn't happening. (For that matter, autosleeping and waking up doesn't do anything, either.) I let it sit for 8 hours with no change.

FWIW, this was an AT&T-locked iPhone that I jailbroke in 1.0.2, restored to 1.1.1, reinstalled ringtones via iToner 1.0.4 and then tried the web-based jailbreak.

Update: AppSnapp refused to work over my home WiFi connection (Airport Extreme 802.11n, Time Warner Biz Class 5u/2d, hardware firewall), but it works fine over the WiFi in my office at Duke. (It could be the connection, the firewall or just timing.)

The incorrect behavior: Safari would immediately crash, returning me to a stock home screen; no restart, no "slide to unlock" no matter how long I left it alone.

Correct behavior: Safari crashes, home screen is somewhat glitchy to return, long lag, then "slide to unlock" (in my case, enter the PIN to unlock the phone). AppTapp "Installer" was in the home screen, and the WiFi store and Installer are now on the left. Installer wanted to update its version, which crashed the phone on the "Please restart Installer" dialog.

pacohaas
Oct 30, 2007, 10:42 AM
Is Voice recorder and iTunes emailer both available on the 1.1.1 version?

I see both VoiceNotes and SendSong on the Install list. Just installed SendSong(there's a version for 1.1.1 and another for 1.0.2), Seems to work pretty well. There's an option to Sent to Ringtones as well, but I haven't tried that yet.

NatureX
Oct 30, 2007, 11:24 AM
Hey All,
Im in Canada and bought a already unlocked phone to work with rogers.

So, if I have this correct, I need to restore to original firmware, update to 1.1.1 and then install this jailbreak hack?

My Rogers sim card will work again after that process?

spazzcat
Oct 30, 2007, 11:37 AM
I got mine to work finally, it doesn't seem to work on edge at all. It did lockup when it was trying to reboot. I did a manual reboot and I have the app installer.

mach1andy
Oct 30, 2007, 12:08 PM
In the 2 weeks since I unlocked my iphone with anysim and INdependence a lot seems to have happened. Correct me if I'm wrong but basically, this jailbreakme.com site will only let you install 3rd party apps right? If you upgrade via itunes to 1.1.1, you'd still need to use some kind of unlock right? Can 1.0.2 be reverted-- anyone experience problems doing this? Since I've already done the 1.0.2 unlock, what is the best thing to do? Also, my MAPS program seems to have gotten messed up-- this is why I want to restore it and then proceed!

Snide
Oct 30, 2007, 01:21 PM
Does Summerboard still scroll sideways (as it does with other 1.1.1 hacks),
or vertical, as in 1.0.2? I much prefer vertical, and am therefore still on 1.0.2.

GTiPhone
Oct 30, 2007, 01:25 PM

Me :D

Yankees 4 Life
Oct 30, 2007, 02:19 PM
youtube works just fine on by jailbroken ipone

SheepNutz
Oct 30, 2007, 04:48 PM
or vertical, as in 1.0.2? I much prefer vertical, and am therefore still on 1.0.2.

Yeah, summerboard still scrolls sideways (in pages). I liked the old way better too. Plus currently, you can't rearrange icons on the 2nd page via rSBT.

pacohaas
Oct 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
Me :D
and?
It's obviously trivial to do this, it's what you do next that would be interesting. I'd imagine that too much of this could result in Apple fixing this hole faster, or possibly blocking access to that website in it's stores(but then there's always EDGE).

What would happen if you(or the next person) asked an Apple Genius why this iPhone had more buttons than the others and how can I get those on mine since it's on the official display model? If you just did the hack and ran away, that's not too interesting...anyone can visit a website.

Snide
Oct 30, 2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, summerboard still scrolls sideways (in pages). I liked the old way better too. Plus currently, you can't rearrange icons on the 2nd page via rSBT.

Well, I got impatient and went ahead and restored the iphone, and updated to 1.1.1.
Spent about an hour re-installing all my favorite stuff, and then customizing...
The sideways scrolling isn't as bad as I expected - perhaps I'll get used to it.
The phone is definitely "snappier" (including Safari, of course).;)

I got the tethering thing going, and am in fact posting this with the Macbook
tethered to the iPhone...So far so good!

mach1andy
Oct 30, 2007, 05:33 PM
Well, I got impatient and went ahead and restored the iphone, and updated to 1.1.1.
Spent about an hour re-installing all my favorite stuff, and then customizing...
The sideways scrolling isn't as bad as I expected - perhaps I'll get used to it.
The phone is definitely "snappier" (including Safari, of course).;)

I got the tethering thing going, and am in fact posting this with the Macbook
tethered to the iPhone...So far so good!

Where did you find the instructions for tethering? :) Thanks!!

pedroistheman
Oct 30, 2007, 05:33 PM

Its still sideways. I agree that it is much easier to go vertical.

I used this to jailbreak my iPhone last night and everything was working great until I got a phone call. I couldn't hear the person on the other line and (as I later found out) they couldn't hear me. Has anyone else had this issue? I am probably going to restore and try the jailbreak again but if this happens again I might just have to stick with a locked phone. Too bad. :(

EDIT: my phone has regained its funcionality, but I can still tell the difference from my un-hacked iphone. maybe I'm just paranoid. . .

pedroistheman
Oct 30, 2007, 06:46 PM
After waiting this long to hack my iPhone and reading about all the cool native apps, I have got to say that I have had a hacked iPhone for a couple days now and looking through the installer.app list I haven't found anything really worthwhile. Am I missing something?

Snide
Oct 30, 2007, 07:34 PM
Where did you find the instructions for tethering? :) Thanks!!

Here you go...ignore the original post, and go directly to post #8 (The General).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=345976

After waiting this long to hack my iPhone and reading about all the cool native apps, I have got to say that I have had a hacked iPhone for a couple days now and looking through the installer.app list I haven't found anything really worthwhile. Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing all kinds of cool stuff (a few of my favorites):

Free instant messaging on AIM and .Mac
Using the iPhone to tether to laptop
Voice recorder (unlimited duration)
Customize (rearrange icon order, add custom springboard, ect, ect, ect)...

There are tons of games and apps you can mess with - how on Earth could you not find any of this worthwhile?

I didn't upgrade from 1.02 until today - when I was confident I wouldn't lose anything.

'nuff said...

mrzeve
Oct 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
and?
It's obviously trivial to do this, it's what you do next that would be interesting. I'd imagine that too much of this could result in Apple fixing this hole faster, or possibly blocking access to that website in it's stores(but then there's always EDGE).

What would happen if you(or the next person) asked an Apple Genius why this iPhone had more buttons than the others and how can I get those on mine since it's on the official display model? If you just did the hack and ran away, that's not too interesting...anyone can visit a website.

Well, not really. I doubt the staff cares to much, as every night after the store closes, a manual restore is done for each phone in the store.

DCRa
Oct 30, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hey guys,

So this is my first time doing something like this, and with AppSnapp it made it really easy to jailbreak. (Thank you so much) but the 'Installer" for AppSnapp barely has any applications, but I noticed that it has the AppTapp Launcher, which if I'm not mistaken is the one that actually has all the applications, so I installed it and I clicked it on the home menu, and it attempted to open but it closed right away and took me to the home screen again.

Am I missing something? I really want all these apps in my iPhone :D

Thanks guys and any help is appreciated for us the no0bs. =]

Edit: Nevermind! Got it work. I installed BSD Subsystem, and then Package.

pedroistheman
Oct 31, 2007, 12:20 AM
Hey guys,

So this is my first time doing something like this, and with AppSnapp it made it really easy to jailbreak. (Thank you so much) but the 'Installer" for AppSnapp barely has any applications, but I noticed that it has the AppTapp Launcher, which if I'm not mistaken is the one that actually has all the applications, so I installed it and I clicked it on the home menu, and it attempted to open but it closed right away and took me to the home screen again.

Am I missing something? I really want all these apps in my iPhone :D

Thanks guys and any help is appreciated for us the no0bs. =]

Edit: Nevermind! Got it work. I installed BSD Subsystem, and then Package.

You may have already done this, but you need to install "community sources" to get the real list

pedroistheman
Oct 31, 2007, 12:23 AM
So I jailbreaked my iPhone for the first time with jailbreakme.com, but there is a major problem with the phone. For maybe about a third of my calls, the normal speaker doesn't work and I have to use either the headphones or speakerphone. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? If so, which app would it be from and if I were to restore my phone should it get fixed?

GTiPhone
Oct 31, 2007, 08:39 AM
Just worked up the courage to use jailbreakme.com on my clean 1.1.1

Running beautifully so far, except a few apps seem to not work at all:

1. Customize will not open.

2. Neither Apollo nor Mobile Chat shows a buddy list when "logged in".

Thats all so far.

Man am I glad to have summer board back. I lost installer.app the day 1.1.1 came out and have happily using a virgin iPhone since. Given the lack of an update from Leopard, this is truly great news

pacohaas
Oct 31, 2007, 09:05 AM
Well, not really. I doubt the staff cares to much, as every night after the store closes, a manual restore is done for each phone in the store.

Not here, I was in the store the day that 1.1.1 came out and they were busy upgrading all the demo systems to 1.1.1, the guy assigned to do it made it sound like he wouldn't have to do this again until the next firmware revision.

Rick Roy
Oct 31, 2007, 09:25 AM
Like many people before me very few of the apps work for me ( Ants, pig shooter, and the background changer thing, multiple springboard)

Most other apps start up for like 2 seconds but then closes and goes back to home screen

Note I used jailbreakme.com, this is my first app installer

Also I've tried pausing music and internet but still same problem

I have an iphone

Mac Pro 5GB
Oct 31, 2007, 12:03 PM
Just worked up the courage to use jailbreakme.com on my clean 1.1.1

Running beautifully so far, except a few apps seem to not work at all:

1. Customize will not open.

2. Neither Apollo nor Mobile Chat shows a buddy list when "logged in".

Thats all so far.

Man am I glad to have summer board back. I lost installer.app the day 1.1.1 came out and have happily using a virgin iPhone since. Given the lack of an update from Leopard, this is truly great news

Did you install the BSD subsystem? You need this to make a lot of the apps work.

Mac Pro 5GB
Oct 31, 2007, 12:03 PM
Like many people before me very few of the apps work for me ( Ants, pig shooter, and the background changer thing, multiple springboard)

Most other apps start up for like 2 seconds but then closes and goes back to home screen

Note I used jailbreakme.com, this is my first app installer

Also I've tried pausing music and internet but still same problem

I have an iphone

Install the BSD subsystem and they will work.

rablat
Oct 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
My questions are.
Who sees the crash files left in the logs folder> crashreporter?
Does this info stay on the phone after a restore? If so why would apple not know you have hacked the phone and now voided your warranty?

JGowan
Oct 31, 2007, 01:40 PM
This exploit will not remain open. It is a wide open door to malware. These hackers that figure these things out are super smart (I'm sure Apple enjoys the free service they provide), but I would not invest the time to use this exploit on my iPhone as it will have a very short shelf life.

You guys seemed to forget that the iPhone does not automatically update itself and Apple doesn't send a team of assassins around to place guns to their customers' heads. Apple might indeed put an update tomorrow but without some seriously cool new feature (like the iTunes WiFi store last time), anyone who has jailbroke their phone will not even consider it. They KNOW it'll kill everything.

TitoC
Oct 31, 2007, 01:51 PM
Well, after a few days with 3rd party App running again on my iPhone, I have decided to go back and restore my phone. Things were starting to get too "buggy" for me. And not just with my 3rd party Apps, but just about ALL of my Apps. Every other time I would play songs and then try to run any kind of App, it would crash on me and send me back to the home screen (sometimes more than once), ask me for my password, etc. I even made sure I paused the iPod before doing anything else, but still the same crashes. It seems that I have been restarting my iPhone more and more lately. At first I thought it was one App more than others, but after taking most of them off, it would still act buggy. I didn't even have that many on there. Just Services, Customize, Dock, Tetris, Sketch and VoiceNotes.

And yes, I did everything right: Did the "jailbreakme" method on a freshly restored 1.1.1 phone, installed BSD subsystem, the latest Summerboard, Community Sources, etc.

Things just seemed to run a lot smoother with my 3rd party Apps under 1.02 then they do under 1.1.1.

Anyone else having these problems?

Edrubin
Oct 31, 2007, 02:01 PM
so I did the install and it worked great. The only thing I got on error on installing was the tiff exploit fix. Anyone else have this problem ?

pacohaas
Oct 31, 2007, 02:04 PM
so I did the install and it worked great. The only thing I got on error on installing was the tiff exploit fix. Anyone else have this problem ?
I think this was answered earlier in this thread(also in the FAQ of the install page): the tiff exploit is plugged up by the install itself after exploiting it to run its code.

The reason it's on the App listings is for people who didn't use the webpage method to get Installer.app on their iPhone. Since you already have the fix, it fails when trying to re-fix.

Snide
Oct 31, 2007, 02:25 PM

I also got an error yesterday when trying to install the TIFF exploit fix.
I tried several times, and still failed after restarting. The error says
Main script execution failed!...I think I got the same error trying
to install one of the Summerboard themes. All installed applications work
fine, although Customize takes a lot longer to load than on 1.0.2., and in fact
failed to load the first couple times. Seems OK now, just slow to launch.

Edit: I just saw the post above (#63). Thanks for the info!

happylittlemac
Oct 31, 2007, 02:25 PM
Interesting site and interesting idea. I would really love to have more apps to run on my iPod Touch as web based apps are very limited and I've not come across any that are worth using. But I fear the wrath of Apple if I do hack my iPod, I really don't want to end up with a 200 paperweight.

GTiPhone
Oct 31, 2007, 02:28 PM
Did you install the BSD subsystem? You need this to make a lot of the apps work.

Of course I did. I've been around since day 1.

GTiPhone
Oct 31, 2007, 02:29 PM
Is there something else I'm missing? Does Apollo work on 1.1.1 or not?

GTiPhone
Oct 31, 2007, 02:32 PM
Interesting site and interesting idea. I would really love to have more apps to run on my iPod Touch as web based apps are very limited and I've not come across any that are worth using. But I fear the wrath of Apple if I do hack my iPod, I really don't want to end up with a 200 paperweight.

Interesting how paranoia and misinformation spreads.

The only folks who actually suffered any damage whatsoever from Apple are those who actually ignored the clear and specific warning from Apple regarding retarded unlockers.

Those who ignored it and blindly updated to 1.1.1 suffered bricking......

NOT people using harmless Apptapp. Do not listen to anyone without first hand experience who tells you otherwise.

GTiPhone
Oct 31, 2007, 02:36 PM
Is there something else I'm missing? Does Apollo work on 1.1.1 or not?

Update: completely ignore this. Its working just fine.

pedroistheman
Oct 31, 2007, 05:35 PM
Well, after a few days with 3rd party App running again on my iPhone, I have decided to go back and restore my phone. Things were starting to get too "buggy" for me. And not just with my 3rd party Apps, but just about ALL of my Apps. Every other time I would play songs and then try to run any kind of App, it would crash on me and send me back to the home screen (sometimes more than once), ask me for my password, etc. I even made sure I paused the iPod before doing anything else, but still the same crashes. It seems that I have been restarting my iPhone more and more lately. At first I thought it was one App more than others, but after taking most of them off, it would still act buggy. I didn't even have that many on there. Just Services, Customize, Dock, Tetris, Sketch and VoiceNotes.

And yes, I did everything right: Did the "jailbreakme" method on a freshly restored 1.1.1 phone, installed BSD subsystem, the latest Summerboard, Community Sources, etc.

Things just seemed to run a lot smoother with my 3rd party Apps under 1.02 then they do under 1.1.1.

Anyone else having these problems?

YES!!!
The buggy apps are not that bad, but the phone has gotten really buggy and I am about to restore. hopefully it can be fixed.....

arminzol
Oct 31, 2007, 07:56 PM
after I used jailbreakme.com on my fresh 1.1.1 iphone, I can't use youtube anymore, it says that I need to connect to itunes with an internet connection to enable youtube. I restored and did it over and over again but still the same error every time. I'm getting really frustraded!

Montserrat
Oct 31, 2007, 08:30 PM
does anyone know how to install the iPhone apps on to the iPod if using the jailbreakme route? I know the ijailbreak application does this automatically, but now I've jailbroken my iPod it'd be great to get those apps. Any help would be much appreciated

daysleeper
Oct 31, 2007, 11:16 PM
I used the hack for a couple of days-- everything was working fine until tonight, when I tried to sync a couple of new podcasts. iTunes said they were uploaded to the iphone, but they were no where to be found.

Restoring now. Yeah, I wish I had the voice recorder & ebook reader, but the rest of it really isn't much to get excited about.

morpheus0212
Nov 1, 2007, 04:34 AM
hi guys!

i am from germany and apple is gonna launch its iphone on 9th november with t-mobile... i will NOT buy my iphone for 399 Euro (575 dollars) and at least 50 Euros (70 bucks) per month (converted, due to the strong euro...)

anyway, i am now thinking abot getting an iphone in the US and let a friend ship it to me. however, I am now curious if http://www.jailbreakme.com works in Germany as well. because in your instructions it says under "2. Push contacts, end call and you get called again". I get called?!? what does that mean?

i also think about getting a turbosim, so i dont have to modify my iphone and still have warrenty on it.

bottom line: i would "only" back 399 dollars for my iphone, plus 144 dollar for a turbosim... :D

what do you guys think? it is ridiculous expensive here, and i need to have one! ;) if you have any other ideas, let me know!

thanks a lot from germany,
mark

rph105
Nov 1, 2007, 05:57 AM
hmm scared since i went to the apple store the other day and they had s sign saying this kind of stuff voids your warranty

pacohaas
Nov 1, 2007, 09:10 AM
hmm scared since i went to the apple store the other day and they had s sign saying this kind of stuff voids your warranty

So going to a website (http://conceitedsoftware.com/jb/magic.tif) that unknowingly installs stuff and fixes a security hole in Apple's software would void your warranty? Seems like that's apple's fault, not yours.

arminzol
Nov 1, 2007, 10:41 AM
Can anyone Help me please?

after I used jailbreakme.com on my fresh 1.1.1 iphone, I can't use youtube anymore, it says that I need to connect to itunes with an internet connection to enable youtube. I restored and did it over and over again but still the same error every time. I'm getting really frustraded!

Jphillippe
Nov 2, 2007, 02:35 AM
Can anyone Help me please?

omg me too, I restored it twice and still same youtube issue...this sucks, if you find a solution tell me, because theres a way but you have to type in all this weird scripts and i'm far from technical.

eVolcre
Nov 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
1. I have a 1.0.2 fresh in the box

2. Lets say I figure out how to upgrade it to 1.1.1 (have another thread open)

3. Does going to this website unlock my phone as well? Because that just seems too easy

eV