PDA

View Full Version : Will New Mac Pro use same RAM???




bossass
Oct 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
Just curious if I should stock up if I come across a good deal on FB-DIMMS?

Thanks for the input.



bigbird
Oct 29, 2007, 08:45 PM
I don't think anyone can answer a question about a machine that doesn't exist.

irishgrizzly
Oct 29, 2007, 08:49 PM
I don't think anyone can answer a question about a machine that doesn't exist.

Yeah, there's way too much speculation on this site we should just deal in facts! :)

darthraige
Oct 29, 2007, 09:05 PM
I saw some different rumors floating... That it could still use the same DDR2 Ram, or it could be switching to the new DDR3 Ram. Time will tell.

bigbossbmb
Oct 29, 2007, 10:03 PM
Looking at the specs for what intel is releasing on Nov 12, the Mac Pro will probably use 800mhz FB-DIMM DDR2 instead of the 667mhz ones they use right now.

Sun Baked
Oct 29, 2007, 10:10 PM
Looking at the specs for what intel is releasing on Nov 12, the Mac Pro will probably use 800mhz FB-DIMM DDR2 instead of the 667mhz ones they use right now.

Looking at the Skulltrail prototypes they have been testing, which is the same basic workstation chipset (with a couple chip additions) likely to make it into the next Mac Pro.

The 800mhz FB-DIMM DDR2's are likely right on target.

SirOmega
Oct 29, 2007, 10:10 PM
Looking at the specs for what intel is releasing on Nov 12, the Mac Pro will probably use 800mhz FB-DIMM DDR2 instead of the 667mhz ones they use right now.

Thats pretty much it. However, with Nehalem coming out at the end of 2008, it will use ECC DDR3 so any ram you buy now wont work with it then.

adamzx3
Oct 30, 2007, 12:22 AM
Could you use the current ram and have it underclock it or do you think that extra 133mhz will make a hill of beans? I am thinking it will just waste my money spending 2x more on ram.

FF_productions
Oct 30, 2007, 12:35 AM
We might see updates tomorrow so sit tight and wait.

adamzx3
Oct 30, 2007, 12:46 AM
We might see updates tomorrow so sit tight and wait.

Oh that would make my day...I would run around the house like a giddy schoolgirl....lol

But I will be sooooo heated if we dont get them in mid nov. :)

wentwj
Oct 30, 2007, 08:16 AM
I think it's probably likely it'll jump to the 800mhz (Where I believe the 667 would still technically work).

However, I would advise against stockpiling RAM until after it gets announced, unless you see a REAL good deal.

FF_productions
Oct 30, 2007, 09:23 AM
Well no updates today, but I'm still confident that we'll be seeing it VERY soon.

bigbossbmb
Oct 30, 2007, 09:40 AM
Well no updates today, but I'm still confident that we'll be seeing it VERY soon.

Apple tends to release stuff at 10am PST. So there's still another 2hr 20min left. Although I won't hold my breathe for an update... that's a long time.

I don't think we'll see it until 11/13. Although earlier announcements are always welcome.

Kosh66
Oct 30, 2007, 03:31 PM
Could you use the current ram and have it underclock it or do you think that extra 133mhz will make a hill of beans? I am thinking it will just waste my money spending 2x more on ram.

If you're not gonna take advantage of the new bus speed and architecture, why buy a new Mac Pro? :confused:

And since that's DDR2 memory, it really isn't just an increase of 133mhz, it would be an increase of 133mhz x 2, wouldn't it?

adamzx3
Oct 30, 2007, 07:24 PM
thats true, you might as well take advantage of the performance, and the prices on newegg are very simaler to the current memory, about $100 for a 2GB stick, but when their released I hope they not too much more.

DDR2 ram has to operate at a higher clock speed than DDR at the same clock speed to get the same latency but DDR2 will operate the data bus twice as fast...as I understand it at least.

None the less better to get the fastest ram you can put it in :)