PDA

View Full Version : Intel Mobile Chips in Short Supply? Update on MacBook.

MacRumors
Oct 30, 2007, 04:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

IDG News reports (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,139063-c,intel/article.html) on comments by Taiwan's Asustek Computer that Intel was unable to keep up with the high demand on mobile CPUs. Laptop sales are expected to hit record highs this year, and so is demand on Intel's mobile CPUs.
"The biggest shortage in notebook components is in CPUs, Intel CPUs. Intel isn't meeting demand," said Jerry Shen, president of Asustek, answering questions at an investors conference in Beitou, Taiwan.

Aside from their own computer sales, Asustek performs contract-based sales, including production (http://www.emsnow.com/newsarchives/archivedetails.cfm?ID=13659) of Apple's MacBook computer. Whether or not this may affect future MacBook supplies remains entirely speculative. Asustek, however, reassured investors that it did not expect this shortage to affect its sales.

In a separate note, despite our belief that an upgraded MacBook was scheduled for arrival as early as today (or "within the next week"), this was not the case. New information reveals that this specific expectation (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/28/new-apple-macbook-on-tuesday-gma-x3100/) was based on faulty information, and should be disregarded.

This, however, does not negate the existing rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/09/new-macbooks-by-november/) that the MacBook was expected in the "first half of November" and MacBooks could still see updates imminently.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/30/intel-mobile-chips-in-short-supply-macbook-update/)

twoodcc
Oct 30, 2007, 04:27 PM
as long as this doesn't effect the macbook update ....

iQuit
Oct 30, 2007, 04:28 PM
Now Intel.

Oct 30, 2007, 04:30 PM
Now Intel.

Does this mean...PowerBooks G5 next Tuesday? :rolleyes:

* ducks and covers *

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2007, 04:31 PM
The popularity of laptops has definitely increased substanitally over recent times. One would have hoped Intel could have predicted this and accurately prepared for it, but I guess hindsight is always 20/20 and it's easier said than done.

Hopefully this hasn't impacted MacBook updates, but I guess only time will tell...

sigamy
Oct 30, 2007, 04:33 PM
You mean: first motorolla, then IBM, now Intel...

What does Apple do to these chip guys?

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2007, 04:33 PM

* ducks and covers *

I've said it before on these Forums and I'll say it again:

Please, don't be that guy... :rolleyes:

:p ;) :D

Clive At Five
Oct 30, 2007, 04:34 PM
The biggest shortage in notebook components is in CPUs, Intel CPUs. Intel isn't meeting demand.

Something about this sounds familiar... I can't quite put my finger on it though...

-Clive

siurpeeman
Oct 30, 2007, 04:34 PM

the difference this time is that apple's in the same boat as everybody else.

I've said it before on these Forums and I'll say it again:

Please, don't be that guy... :rolleyes:

:p ;) :D

there's always a guy.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2007, 04:36 PM

After going through Motorola chips, IBM chips and now Intel chips, Steve Jobs has no choice but to move on to Sun chips... :cool:

Clive At Five
Oct 30, 2007, 04:37 PM

* ducks and covers *

No, no. Mid-Range Tower next Tuesday!

-Clive

thejadedmonkey
Oct 30, 2007, 04:37 PM
Apple should dump intel and switch to some other architecture.

These chips (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11215001/) look promising, and they run about 2x - 2.5x faster

john789
Oct 30, 2007, 04:38 PM
the means NO macbook update today......I guess my plans to go the apple store are now cancelled...:confused::(

thejadedmonkey
Oct 30, 2007, 04:38 PM
After going through Motorola chips, IBM chips and now Intel chips, Steve Jobs has no choice but to move on to Sun chips... :cool:

Dude, those sun chips are the best. Whenever I use them, I always end up working faster!

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2007, 04:41 PM
Dude, those sun chips are the best. Whenever I use them, I always end up working faster!

Yep, Steve would be a fool not to switch to them... :D

(Fixed image attachment above, btw...)

milo
Oct 30, 2007, 04:48 PM

OR...if mobile chips are in short supply, they could actually start stocking their desktop machines with...

wait for it...

DESKTOP CHIPS!

Yet another reason to move on from that silly strategy.

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2007, 04:51 PM
OR...if mobile chips are in short supply, they could actually start stocking their desktop machines with...

wait for it...

DESKTOP CHIPS!

Desktop chips would no doubt output more heat than the mobile chips though, and in the iMac's crowded enclosure I'm not sure how that would go over... ;)

Whoshnot
Oct 30, 2007, 04:55 PM
Desktop chips would no doubt output more heat than the mobile chips though, and in the iMac's crowded enclosure I'm not sure how that would go over... ;)
Umm, not so good...

On my iMac G5, which had a desktop chip after all, I sometimes had CPU temperatures of above 70░ C.
My intel macs CPU temperatures rarely exceed 40░ C.

Nuff said...

Zadillo
Oct 30, 2007, 04:57 PM

These chips (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11215001/) look promising, and they run about 2x - 2.5x faster

Umm, Apple would be back to square one if they did that.

Remember, the reason to switch from PowerPC to Intel was not because of issues with desktop performance, per se.

The issue was mobile chips; there is still no good modern mobile PowerPC chip (we never saw anything close to a mobile PowerPC G5; good luck seeing a laptop chip based on POWER6).

Laptops are a huge part of Apple's success right now, and Apple absolutely made the right move, as there is nothing to compare to the mobile Core 2 Duo chips right now.

-Zadillo

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2007, 04:59 PM
Umm, not so good...

On my iMac G5, which had a desktop chip after all, I sometimes had CPU temperatures of above 70░ C.

Nuff said...

Thanks, this helps prove my point.

Case closed then. :p ;)

nagromme
Oct 30, 2007, 05:04 PM
Intel has repeatedly given Apple new processors before even ANNOUNCING them, much less offering them to other PC makers. Apple lets Intel innovate without Microsoft's shackles, and is great for boosting Intel mindshare. Intel LIKES Apple.

If there are shortages, it may well not be Apple that feels the brunt.

portuglish08
Oct 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
:apple:Let's just hope we see a macbook update soon! And hopefully a worthwhile one!:apple:

~Shard~
Oct 30, 2007, 05:05 PM
Intel has repeatedly given Apple new processors before even ANNOUNCING them, much less offering them to other PC makers. Apple lets Intel innovate without Microsoft's shackles, and is great for boosting Intel mindshare. Intel LIKES Apple.

If there are shortages, it may well not be Apple that feels the brunt.

Quite true - case in point the new batch of Penryn chips for the Mac Pro.

shawnce
Oct 30, 2007, 05:14 PM

These chips (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11215001/) look promising, and they run about 2x - 2.5x faster ...and are monstrously power hungry and cost far far more (aka they are high-end server chips)... yeah they are very good but not what Apple needs.

shawnce
Oct 30, 2007, 05:18 PM
Now Intel. Intel has the fab capacity to respond to product demand spikes much better then IBM (or others) currently have. I am not overly concerned about it at this time.

aswitcher
Oct 30, 2007, 05:25 PM
as long as this doesn't effect the macbook update ....

Yeah. Looks like next Tuesday.

darthraige
Oct 30, 2007, 05:29 PM
And then the next Tuesday..... MacPro.

farmboy
Oct 30, 2007, 05:31 PM

Toasted is better than fried, right?

darthraige
Oct 30, 2007, 05:32 PM
And I say bring "HIM" back if MacBooks come next Tuesday and the MacPro on the 13th. Very very excellent source missing from here. lol

gamac
Oct 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
And I say bring ** back if MacBooks come next Tuesday and the MacPro on the 13th. Very very excellent source missing from here. lol

You do realize that your post will be deleted very soon.

This one too.

:rolleyes:

TripleCore
Oct 30, 2007, 05:40 PM
And then the next Tuesday..... MacPro.

I noticed there are rebates for the towers on Amazon.

I sure hope you're right--the time is right for me to upgrade my system.

darthraige
Oct 30, 2007, 05:41 PM

So now rebates were spotted for both the MacBook and the MacPro? Could be a really good sign. Please let there be an update for both in the next 2 weeks.

nvbrit
Oct 30, 2007, 05:46 PM
Isn't it possible the Intel chips are in short supply becuase Apple has alread bought them all up to put in their new systems?

milo
Oct 30, 2007, 05:48 PM

Sure. But does apple REALLY have to design their consumer desktops in cases that require a mobile chip? Would it really kill them to just make a regular old desktop instead of their wacky novelty form factors?

nvbrit
Oct 30, 2007, 05:48 PM

wait for it...

DESKTOP CHIPS!

iMacs have mobile class cpus in them, not desktop????

milo
Oct 30, 2007, 05:50 PM

Yep. With the exception of the mac pro, EVERY intel mac has used a mobile CPU chip.

Intel has a whole line of desktop CPU's with better price/performance that Apple has never used.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao
Oct 30, 2007, 05:50 PM
man... i've had my Macbook for only a lil over a month..... i wonder if I should get the new one... :-( why must i be forced to make this kind of decision every few months!?!

How much better is that new GPU in the Macbook anyway...?

darthraige
Oct 30, 2007, 05:51 PM
Isn't it possible the Intel chips are in short supply becuase Apple has alread bought them all up to put in their new systems?

I think they were talking about the chips in the current MacBooks? That's one of the reasons for an update?

bainesajay
Oct 30, 2007, 05:55 PM
I like ASUS. If apple ever let 3rd party vendors sell OS X, I would buy an ASUS (after apple). They had a thinner version of a 13.3inch laptop before the mac book and had an integrated camera. They bring prices down and stick to leaving everything OEM. No added DELL or HP BIOS crap.

Anyways, if anyone call meet supplies it will be intel.

TripleCore
Oct 30, 2007, 05:55 PM
So now rebates were spotted for both the MacBook and the MacPro? Could be a really good sign. Please let there be an update for both in the next 2 weeks.

And that is when the new Penryns will be released. It could just be a coincidence orů

nvbrit
Oct 30, 2007, 05:59 PM

Yep. With the exception of the mac pro, EVERY intel mac has used a mobile CPU chip.

Intel has a whole line of desktop CPU's with better price/performance that Apple has never used.

Well that's something I didn't know! Becuase there is nothing on Apples website to indicate that the Core2Duo's in the iMac's are mobile cpus.

Eidorian
Oct 30, 2007, 06:01 PM
Well that's something I didn't know! Becuase there is nothing on Apples website to indicate that the Core2Duo's in the iMac's are mobile cpus.Been mobile chips since the iMac Core Duo.

nvbrit
Oct 30, 2007, 06:03 PM
Been mobile chips since the iMac Core Duo.

....damn, I'm always the last to know these things...... :eek:

milo
Oct 30, 2007, 06:08 PM
Well that's something I didn't know! Becuase there is nothing on Apples website to indicate that the Core2Duo's in the iMac's are mobile cpus.

Why would they? Wouldn't it just make consumers wonder why they were using more expensive laptop chips instead of cheaper desktop equivalents?

ezekielrage_99
Oct 30, 2007, 06:09 PM
Umm, not so good...

Nuff said...

That's hot, so does this mean if Apple puts desktop CPUs into the iMacs I'll be able to cook my dinner and surf the web at the same time :confused:

Eidorian
Oct 30, 2007, 06:09 PM
That's hot, so does this mean if Apple puts desktop CPUs into the iMacs I'll be able to cook my dinner and surf the web at the same time :confused:G0 stepping Core 2 desktop processors are rather cool nowadays.

machatch
Oct 30, 2007, 06:14 PM
and the rumours continue..part 88..
all we can do now is wait and see..i wonder what will hapend in november..and what will hapend in macworld 15 january?..hopefully apple wont let us down..but there are a coupple of product who needs to be updated..why is apple so slow?...I know - ..you could just buy the current mackbook/pro and pro..ore a high end computer if that matters(regarding hard core apple user would switch if they got the os on a pc)...but with all the rumors going on...lets hope the upgrades dont come late 2008:)
say a prayer:apple:
amen..;):p:cool::D:p

athanacius
Oct 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
Just to help clear up the MacBook update mess, Can someone confirm that the Tuesday theory was a false alarm?

I mean, the post says imminent, mid-nov, but no 'Tuesday', 'Nov. 6/ Nov 13' is mentioned.

Should people start getting their MB and not wait for a measly CPU/GPU increment?

It'll be helpful if someone with 'inside' knowledge can post some good solid info. Because, this MB update rumor has been going on for over 3 months I guess.

ChrisA
Oct 30, 2007, 06:17 PM
Laptops are a huge part of Apple's success right now, and Apple absolutely made the right move, as there is nothing to compare to the mobile Core 2 Duo chips right now.

Maybe this. It's an 8-core machine that uses 72W
of power.
http://www.sun.com/processors/UltraSPARC-T1/

That said. Apple got it right. The ability to run Windows
in a VM or bootcamp is selling a lot of Macs

flopticalcube
Oct 30, 2007, 06:18 PM
Just to help clear up the MacBook update mess, Can someone confirm that the Tuesday theory was a false alarm?

I mean, the post says imminent, mid-nov, but no 'Tuesday', 'Nov. 6/ Nov 13' is mentioned.

Should people start getting their MB and not wait for a measly CPU/GPU increment?

It'll be helpful if someone with 'inside' knowledge can post some good solid info. Because, this MB update rumor has been going on for over 3 months I guess.

Only the CPU increment will be measly. The GPU will be fairly substantial (and about time too).

nvbrit
Oct 30, 2007, 06:18 PM
Why would they? Wouldn't it just make consumers wonder why they were using more expensive laptop chips instead of cheaper desktop equivalents?

someone who knows enough to know the difference between a laptop chip and a desktop chip and knows there are price differences would also know that a mobile class cpu was being used becuase of heat issues.... otherwise a 'regular' comsumer with no knowledge of these things wouldn't even question it

jt2ga65
Oct 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
man... i've had my Macbook for only a lil over a month..... i wonder if I should get the new one... :-( why must i be forced to make this kind of decision every few months!?!

How much better is that new GPU in the Macbook anyway...?

I just got my MB Pro last week, and was hoping to see something this week so I could decide if I wanted to keep this one or "trade" it for the updated one. My luck is that it won't be available this week, and I'll blow past my 14 days.

I wonder if this is why Apple has a 14 day policy, rather than the 30 day policy that is common to other retailers.

I'm happy with my choice to get the laptop pre-leopard because now I have both Tiger and Leopard, but I just hate wasting money for no good reason, and Apple seems like they always want WAY too much of it.

-jt2

ksz
Oct 30, 2007, 06:31 PM

Good find! The rebate expires on November 12.

Edit: OTOH, even the MacBook Pro has a $150 rebate expiring on the same day. This may just be an across-the-board sale.

fewture
Oct 30, 2007, 06:36 PM
If you can wait for the new macbook, then wait, it will be here before Xmas, and most likely sometime in November (if not next Tuesday). It is highly unlikely that it will come as late as Macworld in January (which misses the holiday sales).

Some of you people are so impatient. And most ppl can actually wait till they get a new one.

And to the guy who bought one last month, Apple has been updating the Macbook every 6 months - this next revision was obvious - you should do more research if you care about that sort of thing.

AidenShaw
Oct 30, 2007, 06:39 PM
Intel has repeatedly given Apple new processors before even ANNOUNCING them, much less offering them to other PC makers.

Please cite more than one specific example of this....

The only one that I know of is that 5 months after other manufacturers were shipping quad Clovertowns, Apple started shipping Clovertowns that were one notch faster than the top published speed. Later, of course, we find out that Apple is using older 150 watt versions of the Clovertown - and that the other vendors passed on using that chip and waited for the faster, cooler 120 watt "G0 stepping" version. Also note that the 150 watt chips were available from some of the smaller vendors at about the same time as Apple.

Other dates:

Yonah - Apple announced a week after most of the other vendors.

Merom - How about http://digg.com/apple/MacBook_Pro_NO_CORE_2_DUO_Early_Adopters_Bit_By_Intel_Marketing

Woodcrest - Intel announces 26 June, Apple releases Mac Pro 7 August

Conroe/Kentsfield - Apple missing in action

Also note that Intel ships lots of chips before announcement - the "announcement" is really the first sale date. I have a couple of octo-core Penryns in the lab under Intel's developer seed agreement. Dell/IBM/HP all had Penryn systems demoing at IDF - heck, Intel even showed a Nehalem 16-thread CPU.

There's a popular myth around here that Apple gets special treatment from Intel, but the facts really don't support that conclusion.

Cheffy Dave
Oct 30, 2007, 06:41 PM
If you can wait for the new macbook, then wait, it will be here before Xmas, and most likely sometime in November (if not next Tuesday). It is highly unlikely that it will come as late as Macworld in January (which misses the holiday sales).

Some of you people are so impatient. And most ppl can actually wait till they get a new one.

And to the guy who bought one last month, Apple has been updating the Macbook every 6 months - this next revision was obvious - you should do more research if you care about that sort of thing.

In a separate note, despite our belief that an upgraded MacBook was scheduled for arrival as early as today (or "within the next week"), this was not the case. New information reveals that this specific expectation was based on faulty information, and should be disregarded.
Oh Oh, doesn't sound good for Multimedia's Nov 6 prediction

DaBrain
Oct 30, 2007, 06:54 PM
Sure. But does apple REALLY have to design their consumer desktops in cases that require a mobile chip? Would it really kill them to just make a regular old desktop instead of their wacky novelty form factors?

Well I for one "LOVE" their, in your words, so called wacky form factor! If I wanted a PC and a thousand wires I would of bought one. I hope Apple always continues your so called wacky form factor.

I think their iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are classsy and not the usual garbage out there. It's Great to see the effort they put into their designs. :p

shawnce
Oct 30, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yep. With the exception of the mac pro, EVERY intel mac has used a mobile CPU chip. ...and mobile chipset.

Farani
Oct 30, 2007, 07:00 PM
Well I for one "LOVE" their, in your words, so called wacky form factor! If I wanted a PC and a thousand wires I would of bought one. I hope Apple alweays continues your so called wacky form factor.

I think theirs iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are classsy and not the usual garbage out their. It's Great to see the ewffort they put into their designs. :p

I agree with you. This "wacky form factor" lets me have 1, yes 1, cord! A power cord. I had literally 30+ cords before. I spent 4 hours one day organizing my cords neatly under my desk. What a waste!

Apple is so far ahead of the other pc manufacturers from an industrial design standpoint, it's just stupid.

Zadillo
Oct 30, 2007, 07:05 PM
I like ASUS. If apple ever let 3rd party vendors sell OS X, I would buy an ASUS (after apple). They had a thinner version of a 13.3inch laptop before the mac book and had an integrated camera. They bring prices down and stick to leaving everything OEM. No added DELL or HP BIOS crap.

It's too bad Asus has been going down the crapper lately, at least in the area of battery life; it seems like they've become incapable of making a laptop any more with good battery life.

-Zadillo

AidenShaw
Oct 30, 2007, 07:09 PM
the means NO macbook update today......I guess my plans to go the apple store are now cancelled...:confused::(

Note that "Santa Rosa" (the expected new MacBook platform) and "Napa64" (the current MacBook platform) use the same CPU (albeit with slightly different clocking).

A CPU "shortage" would affect the current MacBook as well as a new model.

So, this news may or may not have an impact on when Apple releases the update.

iDAG
Oct 30, 2007, 07:13 PM
A shortage would suck. If there is truely a shortage of moble processors than if the MacBook update next month are not will prove how close Apple and Intel really are. :cool:

jonnylink
Oct 30, 2007, 07:18 PM
All I'm saying is an update better happen soon because I need to get a MacBook for my folks and I leave the country at the end of Nov.:p

NYmacAttack
Oct 30, 2007, 07:21 PM
A shortage would suck. If there is truely a shortage of moble processors than if the MacBook update next month are not will prove how close Apple and Intel really are. :cool:

Intel has no special preference for Apple. They will do what makes them the most money, just like any corporation. We have yet to see Intel give Apple preferential treatment.

Anorion
Oct 30, 2007, 07:27 PM
Aww... I was looking forward to giving Apple my money this evening, and I come home to see this... </3

jlwillia
Oct 30, 2007, 07:55 PM
Someone comes up with a "rumor" that the macbook is going to be updated today, everyone naturally assumes it's true (I mean no one ever embellishes the truth or completely lies or anything), and then there needs to be an "official" announcement that the original allegations should be disreguarded?

maybe macrumors should consider a domain change to "machighlyoptimisticwishes.com"

gwangung
Oct 30, 2007, 08:21 PM
Intel has no special preference for Apple.

Wave some of that money in the bank around and Intel will have plenty of preference for Apple...

Eidorian
Oct 30, 2007, 08:22 PM
Wave some of that money in the bank around and Intel will have plenty of preference for Apple...Then again Apple is a much prettier show horse after losing exclusivity in Dell computers. ;)

sportsnut
Oct 30, 2007, 08:48 PM
Someone comes up with a "rumor" that the macbook is going to be updated today, everyone naturally assumes it's true (I mean no one ever embellishes the truth or completely lies or anything), and then there needs to be an "official" announcement that the original allegations should be disreguarded?

maybe macrumors should consider a domain change to "machighlyoptimisticwishes.com"

+1

LOL, shhhhh, don't disturb the dreamers from getting 'geeked' about next Tuesday's 'new macbook' because someone said..........:D

SiliconAddict
Oct 30, 2007, 09:13 PM
Now Intel.

Shut up. there is no comparison. AT ALL. In any way whatsoever. :rolleyes: IBM couldn't hope to possibly provide chips to an industry. They had a hard enough time just taking care of Apple. Intel on the other hand provides chips to Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Acer, HP, Voodoo, Lenovo, Sony, oh and Apple. Apple is currently getting preferential treatment and it sure as hell should be good enough. What is the major difference this time around? If Apple isn't getting enough chips you can bet your yearly salary that no one else is.

KissStephanie
Oct 30, 2007, 09:21 PM
man... i've had my Macbook for only a lil over a month..... i wonder if I should get the new one... :-( why must i be forced to make this kind of decision every few months!?!The current MacBook was released in May though, not just a few months ago. Twice a year updates should be fairly expected I would think with consumer portables.How much better is that new GPU in the Macbook anyway...?I think the new MacBooks will be significantly better. Definitely faster, and with improved graphics.So, this news may or may not have an impact on when Apple releases the update.Thanks for the clarification!Someone comes up with a "rumor" that the macbook is going to be updated todayActually, the strongest rumoured date has been next Tuesday the 6th of November with the possibility of it being today. It may also very well be the 13th of November since that is the day after current MacBook rebates expire. It will happen though, and I am sure of this as Apple has not released a consumer portable in the second half of this year as yet, and they have never done that before.

Sarcasmo
Oct 30, 2007, 09:32 PM

You're right. Maybe the person with real inside information that has been sitting on it for three months reading these forums laughing will finally speak out....

Sarcasmo
Oct 30, 2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
New information reveals that this specific expectation (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/28/new-apple-macbook-on-tuesday-gma-x3100/) was based on faulty information, and should be disregarded.
Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/30/intel-mobile-chips-in-short-supply-macbook-update/)

Would the new information be that it isn't true because it didn't happen today?

6th or 13th it is, as it probably always was. Gotta be before Black Friday anyway.

Yateball
Oct 30, 2007, 09:47 PM

HAHAHA oh man that was classic.... Shard's always good for a laugh

darthraige
Oct 30, 2007, 09:48 PM
Would the new information be that it isn't true because it didn't happen today?

6th or 13th it is, as it probably always was. Gotta be before Black Friday anyway.

Both MacBook and MacPro have to be on or before 13th. If not, hello MacWorld. Apple wins. We lose. lol

Eidorian
Oct 30, 2007, 09:48 PM
Both MacBook and MacPro have to be on or before 13th. If not, hello MacWorld. Apple wins. We lose. lolWell there goes my chances of buying a Mac this year then.

Hello Dell, NewEgg, and/or Fry's.

john789
Oct 30, 2007, 09:52 PM
ohhhh Grrrrrrrrrr i hate faulty information!!!!. Thats it, i already made up my mind to get a god damn Apple Mac next year after macworld.....if no updates to thr macbook come by then, then i'll just have to stick with microsoft......grrr apple.

MikeTheC
Oct 30, 2007, 10:13 PM
Hmm...

*busts out his Magical Cell Phone +15 to Charisma*

[dials super-secret number]

[rings... rings...]

STEVE JOBS: Hello?

MIKE: Hey, Steve, this is Mike The C.

STEVE: Mike the... who? Oh, right, Mike. Yeah, how's it going?

MIKE: Oh fine, fine. Say, look, I'm just chatting here with some of the nice folks here at MacRumors.com, and...

STEVE: Tell all those folks I said "hi".

MIKE: Oh, right, sure will, Steve. They'll be glad to hear from you.

STEVE: So, what can I do for you, Mike?

MIKE: Well, you see, it's like this... Several people here are getting kind of anxious, what with Asustech having issues keeping up with demand and all...

STEVE: Yeah, it's really [laughs]... It's one of those things, you know? Growing pains, basically.

MIKE: Sure, I'm certain it is. But you see, Zadillo and Eidorian have been a bit worried...

STEVE: I'll bet. Not too bad, I hope...

MIKE: Well, they're not quite taking up arms yet, but...

STEVE: That's good.

MIKE: Right. But they are concerned about the battery life, and some other, well... kind of slipping in product quality and all.

STEVE: Oh, I know. I mean, my latest MacBook Pro's battery life's kinda gone down too...

MIKE: Sure. And then there's Arn, and some of thing's he's been worrying about lately...

STEVE: Ooh, Arn. The great and magic Arn. [starts chanting in tongues, no less] I hope he's not mad. I mean, the way he handled O'Reilly that time...

MIKE: Sure.

STEVE: Wouldn't want to get on his bad side. Anything I can do.

MIKE: Well, some of the guys on the board are whispering they think you should look at Sun Chips. They think they're really the thing, y'know?

STEVE: Oh, I love Sun Chips. Did you know they're coming out with a new one in Q1 of '08?

MIKE: No! Really?

STEVE: Yeah, and it'll have something like [muffled conversation] Sorry, just talking to John St. Ives. He says they're anticipating at least double the capacity of...

MIKE: Oh, that sounds fantastic!

STEVE: Yeah, it is. It really is. I think we're going to consider another fall-back CPU platform. I mean, now don't tell any of the guys this...

MIKE: Of course not. [crosses fingers]

STEVE: We should be testing them out pretty soon here. Get 'em all nice 'n warm 'n toasty.

MIKE: Sounds great. Hey, Steve, this is all good news. I don't mean to rush or anything, but I've gotta get back to MacRumors.com and let 'em know not to worry.

STEVE: Ok. Hey, let me know if you can find any beta testers for our new iMacs.

MIKE: Sure. Later, Steve.

STEVE: See ya, Mike. [click]

Zuwxiv
Oct 30, 2007, 10:21 PM
MikeTheC: iLove.

MacBooks on the 6th or 13th. Come on Apple, I originally waited for a month for my new laptop. And then Leopard was delayed. And then I waited all through that, even picked up an iPhone. You updated it, people hacked it, you updated it again, people hacked it again, Leopard finally arrived, and now...

iWait.

Loudwater
Oct 30, 2007, 10:30 PM
"faulty information" ... I HATE IT!!!
Was there this kind of rumours usually before a hardware upgrade? Or is this one kinda particular? I didn't pay this much attention before, but this time I AM buying one. So I wonder if this is another faulty information. I may want to set my deadline as Nov 6. If nothing happens, I should head out and just GET one. Soooooooooo frustrating... :mad:

Wanderer509
Oct 30, 2007, 11:07 PM
Was there this kind of rumours usually before a hardware upgrade? Or is this one kinda particular? I didn't pay this much attention before, but this time I AM buying one. So I wonder if this is another faulty information. I may want to set my deadline as Nov 6. If nothing happens, I should head out and just GET one. Soooooooooo frustrating... :mad:

i think its ok to be disappointed by rumors that dont come true, but keep in mind, its a rumor. i am personally disappointed too cuz i really want to get a new macbook, but things dont always turn out the way it is? one thing we know for sure, new macbooks are coming soon, just dont know when. If u are really that inclined to setting up a deadline, no one will stop u. but if it comes out the week after your deadline, u only have yourself to blame. sites like this to me serves as a guideline to when should i buy, but they don't have to be absolutely true :) thats my opinion anyways :rolleyes:

xpisnotforme
Oct 30, 2007, 11:17 PM

I had a sexy white w7J if that's what you are referring to, but it was thicker but less wide than my current macbook 13.3 with integrated graphics in white, yum yum. And the screen was 100% more vivid than my macbook.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/8861/66d11jpgvd2.jpg

Asus is one of the few that adds integrated non-trialware functionality apps and they are totally second to apple while being ahead of every other AOL-infested sleazesalesman

Analog Kid
Oct 31, 2007, 12:27 AM
They're not going to release new hardware within 3 weeks of Leopard. The return rate would kill them. Give Leopard a week to satisfy the early adopters and 14 days to pass the exchange policy, then they're clear to release new hardware.

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2007, 12:29 AM
They're not going to release new hardware within 3 weeks of Leopard. The return rate would kill them. Give Leopard a week to satisfy the early adopters and 14 days to pass the exchange policy, then they're clear to release new hardware.They did when Tiger was launched.

tuc
Oct 31, 2007, 12:43 AM
Was there this kind of rumours usually before a hardware upgrade? Or is this one kinda particular? I didn't pay this much attention before

There are exactly this kind of rumors pretty much every time.

OfFx1
Oct 31, 2007, 02:08 AM
Posted this in another thread but thought it may be interesting. best buy seems to have all macbooks back ordered. Estimated arrival time is 11/14 - 11/28/2007. Could this be of any relevance?

iChester
Oct 31, 2007, 04:22 AM
ohhhh Grrrrrrrrrr i hate faulty information!!!!. Thats it, i already made up my mind to get a god damn Apple Mac next year after macworld.....if no updates to thr macbook come by then, then i'll just have to stick with microsoft......grrr apple.

Look at your sig, leopard's already available, isn't it? Buy a MacBook now!

milo
Oct 31, 2007, 07:27 AM
Well I for one "LOVE" their, in your words, so called wacky form factor! If I wanted a PC and a thousand wires I would of bought one. I hope Apple always continues your so called wacky form factor.

I think their iMacs, MacBooks and MacBook Pros are classsy and not the usual garbage out there. It's Great to see the effort they put into their designs. :p

I'm glad you like their style. I'm sure they will continue that. I'd just like an option for those of us who are more in need of substance.

And going to a desktop CPU wouldn't necessarily add more wires. Another headless option would only add two wires. And for people who need things like second drives (like anyone running Time Machine), apple's current form factors require adding more wires, while a more expandable machine would be able to add it internally (less wires).

TomMac9998
Oct 31, 2007, 08:36 AM
When the new MacBook's finally arrive, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that all MacBooks are black, or possibly aluminum.
Apple seem to be getting rid of their white products (eg iMac, iPod), and replacing with, in the case of the iMac, aluminum.
An aluminum enclosure would be great, but I can see the prices of MacBooks going up if this is the case. However, the chances of aluminum MacBooks are rare I think, as the MacBook is pretty much a student edition of the MacBook Pro.
I'm expecting all black MacBooks, with increased processor speeds, and possibly higher RAM and hard drive capacity for the most expensive model.
Any thought on this?
Comments are appreciated!
Thanks.
:apple:

yoshinatsu
Oct 31, 2007, 08:54 AM
Posted this in another thread but thought it may be interesting. best buy seems to have all macbooks back ordered. Estimated arrival time is 11/14 - 11/28/2007. Could this be of any relevance?

:eek::eek::eek:
JUST... Just tell me you're joking.....:eek::eek::eek:
This is it guys, it's OVER, the new MacBook line will be announced November 6 (and released on November 13-28) or more likely November 13, and of course they will be available for purchase in the time of the announcement, just like they did with iMac, iLife 08 etc.....
That's why I believe the shipping date was pushed back.:D:D:D
:apple::apple::apple:

Cosmoza
Oct 31, 2007, 08:57 AM
Atleast update all models to use DVD-+RW DL drives... cd-rw:s on laptops are so lame and yesterday.

dcinzona
Oct 31, 2007, 09:15 AM
Hey guys, I'm going to be buying a macbook as soon as the new ones come out...and not until then. I went online and had a chat with a rep online and she told me to make sure I call the Apple store before going to make sure they have inventory...looks like they are running low or replacing the old inventory with the new in prep for the release:

#

LaKeisha: You can use your discount online.
#

LaKeisha: Did you want help locating it?
#

You: I'm aware. But i would rather use it in an apple store
#

You: I know one of the students that work there. He's helped me a lot with my purchases
#

LaKeisha: Okay, You should call them to check inventory.

BAM! the convo kept going but I digressed to avoid buying online.
I wonder if someone could be a little more *sneaky* and perhaps get more hints as to the upcoming release? I also noticed that the Chat function was not on the website yesterday but it's back today...iiiinnnnnteresting.

axual
Oct 31, 2007, 09:37 AM
Hope to see the Macbook in aluminum so that I can make the big switch.

Farani
Oct 31, 2007, 10:52 AM
:eek::eek::eek:
JUST... Just tell me you're joking.....:eek::eek::eek:
This is it guys, it's OVER, the new MacBook line will be announced November 6 (and released on November 13-28) or more likely November 13, and of course they will be available for purchase in the time of the announcement, just like they did with iMac, iLife 08 etc.....
That's why I believe the shipping date was pushed back.:D:D:D
:apple::apple::apple:

Do I detect sarcasm?

PS the macbooks aren't backordered when I look at best buy's website. 2 of the 3 macbook pros are though. So are the mac mini's and mac pros.

yoshinatsu
Oct 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
Do I detect sarcasm?

PS the macbooks aren't backordered when I look at best buy's website. 2 of the 3 macbook pros are though. So are the mac mini's and mac pros.

Heh, it wasn't sarcasm, I'm REALLY obsessed with the MacBooks, and I REALLY want one NOW!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Farani
Oct 31, 2007, 11:51 AM
Heh, it wasn't sarcasm, I'm REALLY obsessed with the MacBooks, and I REALLY want one NOW!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

lol your pain is also my pain

monster620ie
Oct 31, 2007, 07:28 PM
My student adc membership is going to expire in few days, and I did not even get my MacBook Pro that i have been waiting for. Should I go for it or not ? :mad: Wish it was the macbook Pro being updated

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2007, 07:30 PM
My student adc membership is going to expire in few days, and I did not even get my MacBook Pro that i have been waiting for. Should I go for it or not ? :mad: Wish it was the macbook Pro being updatedAnything against renewing it?

AidenShaw
Oct 31, 2007, 07:55 PM
My student adc membership is going to expire in few days, and I did not even get my MacBook Pro that i have been waiting for. Should I go for it or not ? :mad: Wish it was the macbook Pro being updated

The MacBook Pro has already been updated with the new components that people are waiting for in the MacBook.

Nothing new is expected in the MBP line until new Penryn chips, currently expected in January (or so).

So, in 3 months or so you could expect a somewhat better MBP.

As always, my advice is

"If you need it now, buy it. If you can wait, wait.

There will always be something better coming - so don't be paralyzed for fear of your machine becoming obsolete. It will become obsolete - get over it."

Zadillo
Oct 31, 2007, 08:02 PM

I don't see a good reason not to get the current MacBook Pro. The only really significant update that could happen for it any time soon would be Penryn chips, but that is not til early next year.

The current MBP already has pretty much the best GPU you can find in the 15" form factor, and the LED-backlit screens.

Is there something about the current MBP that just doesn't fit your needs?

machatch
Oct 31, 2007, 08:44 PM
The MacBook Pro has already been updated with the new components that people are waiting for in the MacBook.

Nothing new is expected in the MBP line until new Penryn chips, currently expected in January (or so).

So, in 3 months or so you could expect a somewhat better MBP.

As always, my advice is

"If you need it now, buy it. If you can wait, wait.

There will always be something better coming - so don't be paralyzed for fear of your machine becoming obsolete. It will become obsolete - get over it."

3 months:mad:..i'm still waiting for that "quit" upgrade to 2,6.. hmm maybe november...long before that extreme chip upgrade 2.8 in mackbook pro that will hapend mars ore somethin who nows it's just rumors:p.but it sounds more realistic.......and like someone said "the compenents in mackbook pro is so 2006"..:p:p(ore not... the macbook buyers guide : Days Since Update 149 (Avg = 186) ..so in the other hand the upgrade should come desember-january...I like that upgrade to be 2.8 but i think it will be 2.6..And this was also stated/verified by MM(multimedia = r.i.p:)(bring him back from the dead..):cool:

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2007, 08:50 PM
3 months:mad:..i'm still waiting for that "quit" upgrade to 2,6.. hmm maybe november...long before that extreme chip upgrade 2.8 in mackbook pro that will hapend mars ore somethin who nows it's just rumors:p.It's doubtful that the 44w TDP Extreme mobile processors are going to be put into a MacBook Pro.

but it sounds more realistic.......and like someone said "the compenents in mackbook pro is so 2006"..:p:pI said the MacBook was stuck in 2006.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4419999&postcount=677

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4421834&postcount=719

(ore not... the macbook buyers guide : Days Since Update 149 (Avg = 186) ..so in the other hand the upgrade should come desember-january...I like that upgrade to be 2.8 but i think it will be 2.6..And this was also stated/verified by MM(multimedia = r.i.p:)(bring him back from the dead..):cool:Once again that was the MacBook as well.

The MacBook Pro will more then likely see an update in January when mobile Penryn ships.

machatch
Oct 31, 2007, 09:21 PM
It's doubtful that the 44w TDP Extreme mobile processors are going to be put into a MacBook Pro.

I said the MacBook was stuck in 2006.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4419999&postcount=677

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4421834&postcount=719

Once again that was the MacBook as well.

The MacBook Pro will more then likely see an update in January when mobile Penryn ships.

NO,no i was not talking about macbook i was talking about mackbook pro...check your sources..lol...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4371760#post4371760

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2007, 09:22 PM
NO,no i was not talking about macbook i was talking about mackbook pro...check your sources..lol...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4371760#post4371760Like I said January update on the MacBook Pro with Penryn. MWSF 2008 looks good.

machatch
Oct 31, 2007, 09:31 PM
Like I said January update on the MacBook Pro with Penryn. MWSF 2008 looks good.

yes like "i said"..i also said january..lol...but i quoted MM that it will likely be 2.6 not 2.8...lol.....And you "said once again blabla..I talked about mackbook pro not mackbook...you are confused Eidorian..check it next time and not jump to conclusion pls..
:):)

Eidorian
Oct 31, 2007, 09:56 PM
yes like "i said"..i also said january..lol...but i quoted MM that it will likely be 2.6 not 2.8...lol.....And you "said once again blabla..I talked about mackbook pro not mackbook...you are confused Eidorian..check it next time and not jump to conclusion pls..
:):)The MacBook Pro's components aren't from 2006 though.

2.6 GHz will be the maximum under Santa Rosa.

monster620ie
Nov 1, 2007, 07:00 AM
Anything against renewing it?

You got a point there about renewing. As another poster said, if I keep waiting I will never get it. It just is so hard to do it when I read there is a new update in Jan for MacBook Pro chip. Ofcourse then in Jan something else is going to be coming up.... I need to stop reading macrumors or seek councelling :)

machatch
Nov 1, 2007, 01:24 PM
The MacBook Pro's components aren't from 2006 though.

2.6 GHz will be the maximum under Santa Rosa.

whos right:p:p

Eidorian
Nov 1, 2007, 01:42 PM
whos right:p:pI'm not sure what you mean but it doesn't matter anymore as it is.

machatch
Nov 1, 2007, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure what you mean but it doesn't matter anymore as it is.

yeah you're right..:rolleyes: