PDA

View Full Version : iTMS Windows: October 15th?

MacRumors
Sep 10, 2003, 10:13 PM
An anonymous submission claims that based on information from an Apple employee, iTunes Music Store for Windows should arrive on October 15th, 2003.

Apple's iTunes Music Store for Windows has been announced to be released by year's end... but the competition has been ramping up on the PC side, with many companies with plans to enter the music download arena.

With a similar timeframe, LoopRumors claims (http://www.looprumors.com/) that according to their sources, the service should launch "by late October".

MarksEvilTwin
Sep 10, 2003, 10:21 PM
Removed

iJon
Sep 10, 2003, 10:21 PM
its about damn time, i hope this is true. hopefully steve will give a more specific time frame in paris, hopefully demo it. i can just see it now, steve working on a dell with itunes, lol.

iJon

crees!
Sep 10, 2003, 10:33 PM
I know MusicMatch is currently used w/ the iPod for Windows PC's but I guess that's going to change when iTunes comes out for Windows?

iJon
Sep 10, 2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by crees!
I know MusicMatch is currently used w/ the iPod for Windows PC's but I guess that's going to change when iTunes comes out for Windows?
i belive so, it would only be right. that is one the big complaints i see about the windows ipod, its to damn confusing to use that music match crap. so i think itunes for pc will be good, and hopefully apple will write a crap load of drivers to support cd burners, and then apple can also have those drives work in mac os x.

iJon

G4scott
Sep 10, 2003, 10:38 PM
I can't wait either... Although I think iTunes needs support for wma files for it to be successful. I just want everybody in my dorm (some 1000+ people) to get it, and share their playlists :D

I'll be in musical estacy...

tizza
Well that's great news for getting Apple's name out there - will be interesting to see if it paves the way for Apple bringing a lot more software into the Wintel world.

jholzner
Wonder if we'll hear any news on an international version?? I'm in the states but I would still like to see this happen soon!!

WM.
Sep 10, 2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i can just see it now, steve working on a dell with itunes, lol.
Excellent point. Maybe he'll run it in VPC or something, to show that VPC isn't an issue in the MS-Apple relationship (what with this lack of G5 support) or something. Either that or he'll use a Cinema Display hooked up to a PC hidden under the table. :)

Isn't it interesting how buymusic.com and the other iTMS knockoffs have kind of fallen out of the news? I mean, I guess the iTMS has as well, but certainly that buy.com idiot isn't trumpeting his enormous success or anything. I think people realize that Apple's the only company that's done it right (yet). And even MS's knockoff won't come before 10/15, right?

/rambling

WM

WM.
Sep 10, 2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
Although I think iTunes needs support for wma files for it to be successful.
LOL. Well, I suppose you do have a point--plenty of people have all kinds of .wma's floating around, so they won't want to use an app (like iTunes) that doesn't support their collection. But, considering that Apple is really pushing AAC hard, I doubt that they'll add support for MS's crappy format in iTunes, let alone on the iPod.

OTOH, does anyone know how hard it would be for Apple to leverage (Dilbert-ism alert) WMA in the Windows version? I mean, if a developer wants to use QuickTime for something in OS X, it's super-easy, right? What's that same process like on Windows?

FWIW
WM

trog
Sep 10, 2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by iJon
i can just see it now, steve working on a dell with itunes, lol.
heh, heh. Actually, after all they have done for Apple lately, he should use an IBM, don't you think?

alia
Sep 11, 2003, 12:42 AM
Man, I can't wait for iTunes for Windows... not only does MusicMatch stink as far as UI, but it doesn't even let you encode at higher than 128kbps for Mp3 or 96kbps for Mp3Pro - unless I'm a total dumbass and missed something. So, frequently, unless you get a better encoder somewhere else, your files sound horrible - bad chopping on the range.

Anyway, I can't wait!!!! :D

Alia

Wonder Boy
Sep 11, 2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by MarksEvilTwin
Ah i can't wait...i've been telling my sister and my friend Andrew...

Wait, Andrew? The Andrew? WOW!

I'm sorry, I had to.

Stella
Sep 11, 2003, 06:20 AM
Whoo hoo! I really hope it does happen - Apple could take a major advance over the competition, propelled by the talk surrounding iTMS for the Mac.

Apple better have made iTunes for Windows the same good quality and ease of use of iTunes on the Mac. And not bug ridden either... otherwise Apple have missed a golden opportunity.

Now they just need the international versions rolling out...

I wouldn't be surprised to see some Microsoft dirty tricks coming up and Microsoft tries to 'compete'...

KLFloyd
Sep 11, 2003, 08:51 AM
I'm just curious why October 15th, a Wednesday? Super Tuesday is tradationally the day when new music is released, seems to make sence to launch iTMS for Windoze on a Tuesday.

Just my $0.02...

rdowns
Sep 11, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by KLFloyd
I'm just curious why October 15th, a Wednesday? Super Tuesday is tradationally the day when new music is released, seems to make sence to launch iTMS for Windoze on a Tuesday.

Just my $0.02...

Could be site traffic is very high on new music Tuesdays and wanted to put off the wave of Windows shoppers a day.

bousozoku
Sep 11, 2003, 12:35 PM
From what I heard this week, iTunes for Windows has run into some problems and will be slightly delayed.

m_gerbik
Sep 11, 2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
Although I think iTunes needs support for wma files for it to be successful. wma... I don't think so. I hope not.

ckelley
Sep 11, 2003, 03:17 PM
It's not like adding WMA playback support is a problem. As long as the person's computer has the appropriate Windows Media Codecs installed (and if they're using Windows, then 9 out of 10 people probably have them) then iTunes could just call for use of the Windows Media codecs to play back the files.

Although, playback on an iPod, I'm sure they'll request you re-encode to a better version, AAC anyone? :) Or even MP3! Hell, with WMP9 or 8, to import tracks into MP3, you had to buy a separate add-on for WMP to get that functionality. Not with iTunes.

I shudder to see this logo on a future box of the iPod:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/images/logos/playswm.gif

TEG
Sep 11, 2003, 05:57 PM
Truly, I want to see music from Foreign artists, like from EU, AUS, CND, etc. Also, How about more comedy tracks/albums. And even some more soundtracks, like ST, SW, Red Dwarf..... I want theme songs.

TEG

PowerBook User
Sep 11, 2003, 06:25 PM
I hope iTunes and iTMS are out for Windows in October. Apple has a great opportunity. Look at how well it's going with a fraction of computer users (Macs only). Hopefully we'll also see iTMS go international soon.

Stella
Sep 11, 2003, 08:11 PM
No, WMA is need required to be a successful for ANY music service.

WMA should not be promoted at any cost...
... in the end, Microsoft will screw the consumers and the services who provide WMA.

Microsoft will inflate the price of licensing WMA... I wouldn't be surprised that if WMA did become standard, MS would want payment PER PLAYBACK.

Originally posted by m_gerbik
wma... I don't think so. I hope not.

DakotaGuy
Sep 11, 2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by trog
heh, heh. Actually, after all they have done for Apple lately, he should use an IBM, don't you think?

I would agree, if he had to show a PC during a keynote it would make more sense to have a ThinkPad or ThinkCentre on stage along with Apple products then a Dell!

mproud
Sep 12, 2003, 03:39 AM
iTunes as a player is a hell of a lot better than anything I've seen on the Windows platform. MusicMatch has skins, but MusicMatch is only skin deep.

Instantaneous searching, automatic playlists, network play, cross-fading, wonderful importing features, AAC-encoding, AIFF support (amazing how few Windows programs actually support this!), nice and visible equalizer settings, coupled with a wonderful interface that beats the crap out of everything else. Most importantly, it is completely FREE, unlike MusicMatch and the like,

mproud
Sep 12, 2003, 03:39 AM
iTunes as a player is a hell of a lot better than anything I've seen on the Windows platform. MusicMatch has skins, but MusicMatch is only skin deep.

Instantaneous searching, automatic playlists, network play, cross-fading, wonderful importing features, AAC-encoding, AIFF support (amazing how few Windows programs actually support this!), nice and visible equalizer settings, coupled with a wonderful interface that beats the crap out of everything else. Most importantly, it is completely FREE, unlike MusicMatch and the like.

DeusOmnis
Sep 12, 2003, 10:26 AM
you only need to post it once ;)

in any case, i doubt iTMS Windoze is going to be out before december

SiliconAddict
Sep 12, 2003, 12:23 PM
About freaking time! When I heard that Sony was planning on doing their own online music thing I just about wet myself. MS, Real, buymusic.com are fresh meat for iTMS. Sony has the money, the name, the hardware, and the drive to give Apple a massive headache. And since their name is so widely associated with any type of media it makes Sony a formidable company.

SiliconAddict
Sep 12, 2003, 02:30 PM
wma... I don't think so. I hope not.

Sorry but donít let your hatred for Microsoft cloud the one simple fact that really nothing other then Appleís iTunes and iPod support AAC. :rolleyes: People want flexibility with their music. And really you have only 2 options unless you are willing to spend a boat load on an iPod: 1. List to your music only on your computer. 2. Listen to it on burned CDís.
I'm guessing what? 90% of Apple users are using the iPod The same can't be said for Windows. I canít count the number of people I know that have either higher capacity jukeboxes like the Nomad or a really cheap MP3 player.
Look at the top selling MP3 players:

1. Apple: 27.6 percent
2. iRiver: 16.2 percent
3. RCA: 13 percent
4. Creative: 8.3 percent
5. Rio: 7.2 percent

4 out of the 5 devices support WMA. Because everyone knows that if music sales are going to take off itís going to require a DRM system. Iím no fan of MS DRM but there isnít much of an alternative right now. By not licensing WMA they would be seriously limiting the potential expansion of iTunes to Windows. What Apple should do is keep any AAC files downloaded off of iTMS in its native format. But if you hook up an external MP3 Player it can do on the fly conversion of AAC to WMA. Itís a legit option. The problem is how much MS price gouges people for the right to use the WMA codec.

PS- ALmost forgot. What about my Pocket PC? I currently have a few hundred MP3's on it. It supports MP3's, OGG, and WMA. So any music I buy from iTMS would be useless to my PDA...any PDA. AAC is not a good option for Windows.

Mr.Hey
Sep 12, 2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by tizza
will be interesting to see if it paves the way for Apple bringing a lot more software into the Wintel world.

Ummm NO!!!!!!! let me rephrase that, HELL NO...thank you for your time :D

if you'd like buy or try Apple software, buy a Mac!!!.

m_gerbik
Sep 13, 2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
Sorry but donít let your hatred for Microsoft cloud the one simple fact that really nothing other then Appleís iTunes and iPod support AAC. :rolleyes: People want flexibility with their music. And really you have only 2 options unless you are willing to spend a boat load on an iPod: 1. List to your music only on your computer. 2. Listen to it on burned CDís.
I'm guessing what? 90% of Apple users are using the iPod The same can't be said for Windows. I canít count the number of people I know that have either higher capacity jukeboxes like the Nomad or a really cheap MP3 player. What did I say about hating Microsoft? Did you ever think about the fact that Apple wants to further expand it's user base of iPods in the Windows world? You make it sound like a necessity to use WMA and, not only is it not, but apple is not going to do it. Nor should they. If I was going to get an MP3 player I would definitely get the iPod because it's ****** awesome. Unlike the other ones you mentioned. Who cares about PDAs anyway? You think Apple is freaking out about how to support music on PDAs when every indication is that PDAs are on there way to a museum? What if I wanna play downloaded music on my Commodore 64?

Vlade
Sep 13, 2003, 08:50 AM
Thats GREAT news, another way of apple getting good publicity to windows users :)

x86isslow
Sep 13, 2003, 03:22 PM
'good' and 'windows users' hardly ever go together- what with the trashy os et al.

yay for apple, yay for windoze users.:p

ABassCube
Sep 14, 2003, 12:48 AM
Yeah, obviously the iTMS will be great for Apple, but I just don't like the fact that Windows users will be able to use iTunes, one of the greatest Mac only apps ever. I think Apple should take away at least one cool feature in the Windows version, like maybe the Visualizer. :)

Adam

Freg3000
Sep 14, 2003, 11:10 AM
I wonder if Apple will put ads for some of the iApps like iMovie and iPhoto in the iTMS (in the center top) to attract costumers. Very direct advertising for a captive audience.

SiliconAddict
Sep 15, 2003, 02:10 PM
What did I say about hating Microsoft? Did you ever think about the fact that Apple wants to further expand it's user base of iPods in the Windows world? You make it sound like a necessity to use WMA and, not only is it not, but apple is not going to do it. Nor should they. If I was going to get an MP3 player I would definitely get the iPod because it's ****** awesome. Unlike the other ones you mentioned. Who cares about PDAs anyway? You think Apple is freaking out about how to support music on PDAs when every indication is that PDAs are on there way to a museum? What if I wanna play downloaded music on my Commodore 64?

If they want to further expand their user base they need to do a heck of a lot better then $300 as their base price. Sorry but there are a lot of users that don't need or care to carry every song with them. They want a basic digital audio player. Would you rain on their parade simply because Apple wants to be an elitist with iTunes for Windows?

My point of my post was pretty simple. There will be plenty of users that will go with other music services because iTMS doesn't support their device. This can be remedied by supporting WMA. Apple needs to pick what product it wants to expand the most. iTMS or the iPod. iPod is going to continue to be a major player in the digital music realm but iTMS is just starting out and needs all the leverage it can get. Supporting multiple digital music players would be huge leverage. It would mean that Apple supports everything. (With the exception of MP3 only devices but there isnít anything to be done about that, thank you RIAA.)

As for PDA's and that they are dieing. Please. Get real. The article that caused this buzz was critically flawed. It was an opinion article.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3080652.stm
I can find you dozens of articles that state the contrary. Everyone has their own opinion so its basic guessing at this point. Whatís causing this slowdown isnít the death of PDAís. Itís that there is no killer app or reason to purchase the next model. The Clieís, the Tungstonís and Zireís, the iPaqís, the X series by Dell all are highly functional devices and there is no reason to upgrade further but what do all of these devices have in common? They all support music. Now why would they possibly do that? Pocket PC devices started this trend. Palmís CEO of the week at the time publicly stated that users donít want music, color. They want simplicity. Why would Sony and Palm follow unless there is a craving for such a thing?
I can tell you this. Smartphones arenít going to take over. Just as PDAís havenít taken over the laptop segment of the computer market. Have you ever played with a smartphone? They suck. No touchscreen so any data manipulation has to be done via a little cursor nub or tiny keyboard. The screen is tiny as heck, the amount of data that can be viewed at one time sucks. Forget about viewing pictures on a PDA. (I have some friends that are professional photographers that load up their pictures on their iPaqís to preview the images they just created. A smartphone is going to be limited by one thing. Its form factor. This is always going to keep it from having the functionality that can be found in a PDA. At least until you get flexible plastic displays that can roll up which is aprox 3-5 years from being introduced.
In addition do you have ANY idea how many PDAís are on the market right now? A good percentage of those devices can do audio playback and just about any device, be it Palm or MS, that you pick up at Best Buy supports MP3 and WMA. But Iím sorry. You donít use a PDA for music so itís automatically a stupid idea. :rolleyes: Way to be open-minded.
Right now as I type this. I have 2 entire movies in my pocket. Matrix, and SpaceBalls. I also have 200MBs of MP3's (Say hi my 512MB SD card.) and my entire My Documents directory that auto syncs with my device so if I make any changes to my files, be it Acrobat, Word, PowerPoint, excel I have access to them on the road. Tell me how old and obsolete this is. I have a supplement for my desktop in the palm of my hand and have more available options then any smartphone could ever hope to have. This fall Iím going to be upgrading to the attached pic.
So not only will I have the above options I will also have a phone that is directly connected to the net so I can browse as well. Oops another feature that Smartphones are lacking: A real browser.

bertagert
Sep 15, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
My point of my post was pretty simple. There will be plenty of users that will go with other music services because iTMS doesn't support their device. This can be remedied by supporting WMA.

Actually, that is not true.

1. ITMS does support a very popular format called MP3. Look on peoples computers and you'll find 99% of the music files are MP3, not WMA. Apple isn't excluding a large audience by not including support for WMA. These other "services" DO NOT match itunes look, feel or simplicity. Actually, all of these other services have failed. There really aren't that many people that use them so the support isn't necessary.

2. Apple is using AAC because they don't want MS to have the "standard format". And this is what this is all about. Not letting MS have control over the music files as well.

I'll bet 100 clams that you'll never see wma support in itunes or the ipod for many, many years. The only way they'd do it is if wma wins the war.

Vlade
Sep 15, 2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by bertagert
Actually, that is not true.

1. ITMS does support a very popular format called MP3. Look on peoples computers and you'll find 99% of the music files are MP3, not WMA. Apple isn't excluding a large audience by not including support for WMA. These other "services" DO NOT match itunes look, feel or simplicity. Actually, all of these other services have failed. There really aren't that many people that use them so the support isn't necessary.

By ITMS I think you meant IT, not ITMS. The music store sells AAC files, but itunes places MP3s.

bertagert
Sep 15, 2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Vlade
By ITMS I think you meant IT, not ITMS. The music store sells AAC files, but itunes places MP3s.

Yes, I did mean itunes. Thanks for the correction.