PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7.5 Coming Soon

MacRumors
Nov 1, 2007, 12:50 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A report from AppleInsider points to a release of iTunes 7.5 as early as next week (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/11/01/apple_preps_itunes_7_5_for_november_release.html). The release will contain a host of small improvements and bug fixes according to the site, though no radical changes should be expected.

Better management of duplicate video and song entries will be included as well as a more stable experience for users upgrading their songs to iTunes Plus purchases.

Currently in late-beta, the site expects that the software could be released within the week, however notes that such high-impact releases such as iTunes can occasionally see unforeseen setbacks. Nonetheless, the release should be out by mid-November at the latest.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/01/itunes-7-5-coming-soon/)

mainstreetmark
Nov 1, 2007, 12:52 PM
maybe they'll point iTunes's movies folder to ~/Movies. That'd be quite nice.

pdpfilms
Nov 1, 2007, 12:55 PM

I've been wondering how long it's going to take them to do that...

longofest
Nov 1, 2007, 12:55 PM

it would make sense, giving how things are turning out...

iTunes really needs a name change, but given how it has such a brand recognition of its own now, I doubt it will ever happen.

dguisinger
Nov 1, 2007, 12:57 PM
and
maybe they will fix their window theme on Leopard so it actually paints itself as a background window when its not the active window!

I find it very annoying that iTunes looks like its the foreground window when its not.

cwedl
Nov 1, 2007, 01:01 PM
Perhaps, Notes syncing with the iPhone?

chr1s60
Nov 1, 2007, 01:01 PM
I figured they would jump to 7.5 since the Windows iTunes is one update ahead of the Mac iTunes. A new feature or two for us Leopard users would be nice.

travistaylor
Nov 1, 2007, 01:03 PM
I just want the ability to sync iPhoto '08 Events to devices...

cr0nite
The german iPhone is said to require iTunes 7.5, or at least T-Mobile has iTunes 7.5 in the official iPhone specs:

http://www.t-mobile.de/iphone/technische_details.jsp

xUKHCx
Hopefully they will make it suck a little less on windows.

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hopefully there will be something to do when you have the same song in two albums, want complete albums, but not duplicate files...

Hecklerdanny
Nov 1, 2007, 01:05 PM
I'd like to see them add in a "Videos" section, along with Movies and TV Shows for my little 2 minute long videos that I've made, that don't belong in with my full length movies, and sure don't belong in with my TV shows. A small complaint, but still something that I'd personally like to see.

Orng
Nov 1, 2007, 01:05 PM
Ooh , I hope it's another iPhone support update, I love installing updates that mean nothing outside the countries that Apple has decided to sell iPhones to. :)

Peace
Nov 1, 2007, 01:06 PM
To go from 7.4.2 to 7.5 means a significant change instead of a little fix.

perhaps spotlight integration using the same functions as the sidebar in Leopard.

Clive At Five
Nov 1, 2007, 01:07 PM
I've never had any problems with duplicate songs... what's the fix about? Unless this release preceeds another iPhone firmware, I don't see the point.

And yes, I've never understood the lack of pointing towards ~/Movies. What would the point of having that folder be if it's never used? iTunes should integrate with your user folder, not some random place on your HDD.

Re: iTunes rename... I don't think iMedia has the same ring to it.

-Clive

Drumjim85
Nov 1, 2007, 01:08 PM
Ooh , I hope it's another iPhone support update

Thats what I'm hoping to get out of this ...

ejbenjamin
Nov 1, 2007, 01:08 PM
It's probably too big for a point release, but iTunes really needs a tagging system. I want to be able to attach more than one genre or artist to a single song file.

admiraldennis
Nov 1, 2007, 01:10 PM
I'm not upgrading from iTunes 7.2 until they make sorting sane again.

Symbols come before numbers which come before letters. This 'gold standard' of alphanumeric sorting has been used for ages -- even the good old Dewey Decimal system recognizes this.

In iTunes 7.3, Apple decided -- against all conventions -- that it was a good idea to put symbols and numbers after letters when sorting tracks in the library window. I was certain at first that this was a bug, but numerous releases later the behavior is remains the same. This drives me nuts, and I refuse to adapt.

Tilpots
Nov 1, 2007, 01:12 PM
I hope they make it easier to rename legally downloaded shows from sites like etree. It's such a pain to manually enter in all that info when it comes with a document that has all the necessary info.

vandlism
Nov 1, 2007, 01:12 PM
I always thought Showtime sounded like a good name for a rebranded iTunes. However, I'm sure there are lots of obstacles, given the Showtime TV channel.

Superdrive
Nov 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
I always thought Showtime sounded like a good name for a rebranded iTunes. However, I'm sure there are lots of obstacles, given the Showtime TV channel.

FrontRow, or FrontRow Manager. As things stand, the brand is so strong, I doubt we'll see a change. But, forget iTunes, I'm ready for a new iPhone update :)

admiraldennis
Nov 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
To go from 7.4.2 to 7.5 means a significant change instead of a little fix.

That's funny.

Need I remind you of 5.0.1 -> 6.0, which not only came out ~a month after 5.0 but added essentially nothing but 5th Gen iPod support and a new version of FairPlay?

Peace
Nov 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
That's funny.

Need I remind you of 5.0.1 -> 6.0, which not only came out ~a month after 5.0 but added essentially nothing but 5th Gen iPod support and a new version of FairPlay?

A new version of a DRM IS a significant update.

imho :)

ymmv

neverusedq
Nov 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
Yes, and lets hope it doesn't bring any hassles to those of us installing 3rd party Apps and ringtones onto our iPhones. :rolleyes:

johnmcboston
Nov 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
Dare I hope for better podcast management?

Drumjim85
Nov 1, 2007, 01:26 PM

ymmv

Wanna throw any more acronyms in there ?? :p

~J~
Nov 1, 2007, 01:28 PM

That would be nice...

mazola
Nov 1, 2007, 01:32 PM
Please please please please please please!!!

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 01:34 PM

ymmv

For a 5->6 update though?

michaelsviews
Nov 1, 2007, 01:39 PM

Symbols come before numbers which come before letters. This 'gold standard' of alphanumeric sorting has been used for ages -- even the good old Dewey Decimal system recognizes this.

In iTunes 7.3, Apple decided -- against all conventions -- that it was a good idea to put symbols and numbers after letters when sorting tracks in the library window. I was certain at first that this was a bug, but numerous releases later the behavior is remains the same. This drives me nuts, and I refuse to adapt.

Any chance this could affect the iphone and force an update and brick em?

German
Nov 1, 2007, 01:39 PM
Please support Flac!!!

=>>>
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4427506&postcount=219

tk421
Nov 1, 2007, 01:40 PM
Hopefully there will be something to do when you have the same song in two albums, want complete albums, but not duplicate files...

I really hope this is what it means by "better management of duplicate video and song entries." I have wanted this feature for a long time (back in iTunes 3 or 4) and have given Apple feedback requesting it.

It's probably too big for a point release, but iTunes really needs a tagging system. I want to be able to attach more than one genre or artist to a single song file.

This is the other thing I'd like to see in iTunes.

Drumjim85
Nov 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
Any chance this could affect the iphone and force an update and brick em?

nothing can force and update .... (i dont think... )

This very well could have an update with it that could re-lock the iphone .. but it has to be the users choice to run the update..

jklps
Nov 1, 2007, 01:42 PM

I would like this too, although for now I've been using the comments field to accomplish this, only 1/2 way through my library though :( I grab the info from Allmusic.com btw.

bubba451
Nov 1, 2007, 01:43 PM
Who are we kidding? We all know this is just to plug up more holes in ringtone purchasing. :rolleyes:

williedigital
Nov 1, 2007, 01:46 PM
But maybe this update is necessary to support features of the new itunes movies store, with rentals, HD, whatever else it is that people want so badly.

What I would personally like to see if better video tagging support in itunes. The movies you buy from the itunes store have actors, director, and a million other useful tags, and it's almost impossible to add the same functionality to movies you add yourself. Movie tagging should be as simple and intuitive as music tagging.

Also, some way to keep the library more up to date (I'm hoping duplicates has something to do with this). I'm constantly adding stuff to my folders, but have to re-add an entire folder every time i want itunes to update the library. Forget the idea of sharing that library across more than one machine...

stcanard
Nov 1, 2007, 01:47 PM
I really don't care about iTunes updates anymore. I sometimes update to resolve the nag windows.

But all it is ever doing is updating functionality to movies, tv shows, iPhone issues, and other things that the cartels have decided I'm not allowed to use.

Other than scrollbars I haven't *seen* an iTunes change in ages. Its just a waste of bandwidth.

:mad:

mainstreetmark
Nov 1, 2007, 01:58 PM
and
maybe they will fix their window theme on Leopard so it actually paints itself as a background window when its not the active window!

I find it very annoying that iTunes looks like its the foreground window when its not.

I think it's because iTunes is a windows app as well, and they likely have the same graphic resources hiding in iTunes somewhere. Sucks, I know, but I can't think of another reason.

CANEHDN
Nov 1, 2007, 02:03 PM
It would be nice if it becomes 64-bit Vista compliant.

CJD2112
Nov 1, 2007, 02:04 PM
I'll be surprised if Apple doesn't address the lack of "notes" syncing with the iPhone and OS X.

On a side note, in update, I'm surprised Apple hasn't released 10.4.11 for Tiger. It has been a few months in beta now. :confused:

Invasion
Nov 1, 2007, 02:11 PM
Please support Flac!!!

=>>>

What I would like to see before that is HE-AAC/aacPlus. People with the smaller flash based iPods like the nano and touch will benefit from it (High Quality at 64kbps). Plus the internet radio in iTunes will also sound much better because a lot of the stations use that codec. But since iTunes doesn't support it they play back at regular AAC.

momoe
Nov 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
Wanna throw any more acronyms in there ?? :p

Actually NONE of them were acronyms, merely initials. An acronym must be a newly formed word such as SCSI "read: scuzzy", scuba, or laser.

IMNSHO (and every English language dictionary since the 1940s)

momoe :apple:

jakebot
Nov 1, 2007, 02:15 PM
maybe folders for movies? I know I can put them into play lists, but I want folders on my ipod touch for movies

Unless you can already do this and I'm just stupid?

grappler
Nov 1, 2007, 02:16 PM
Thank god. Duplicates are a big problem for me. Whenever I want to combine two sets of media files it is the tyranny of the duplicates...

CaryMacGuy
Nov 1, 2007, 02:17 PM
I would love to see this update expand the capabilities of the full screen cover flow mode. I like this feature of iTunes but it is largely useless. I would love to see it behave similar to the iPhone/iPod coverflow modes. Also, why isn't there a screensaver for OS X that shows the cover art and song information of the currently playing song.

Jetson
Nov 1, 2007, 02:20 PM

Dude,

Don't be a dinosaur - adapt or die :D

Actually I was surprised when I first noticed that the collating sequence had changed. I prefer the new sequence - I feel that it cleans thing up a bit in my list to see tracks beginning with letters first, followed by numbers and special characters. It's just an aesthetics thing with me.

The US English ASCII collating sequence that admiraldennis refers to and which Apple used before is pretty much standard. IBM's EBCDIC collating sequence is a bit different in that it sorts special characters first, letters, then numbers, roughly speaking. Apple must have created it's own code page for the sequence it's currently using in iTunes.

Drumjim85
Nov 1, 2007, 02:22 PM
Actually NONE of them were acronyms, merely initials. An acronym must be a newly formed word such as SCSI "read: scuzzy", scuba, or laser.

IMNSHO (and every English language dictionary since the 1940s)

momoe :apple:

... I'm sorry I didn't know the legality of an acronym... :rolleyes:

BornAgainMac
Nov 1, 2007, 02:23 PM
Upload and sell Garageband music and you get 9 cents back for every 99 cents they sell.

Dagless
Nov 1, 2007, 02:25 PM
Group tagging videos to either TV shows or films would be nice, or if you dragged a video into the TV section then it labeled it as TV and etc. It's a pain to manually change individual vids.

SthrnCmfrtr
Nov 1, 2007, 02:25 PM
I wish they'd allow separate selection of a place to store movies and TV shows.

Or, barring that, just make it so that aliases work correctly and I can just alias to the proper external drives.

It's rather irritating to have to write AppleScripts to properly manage my TV shows and movies (ie, to rename the Finder files in accordance with their metadata, and so forth).

infectbda
Nov 1, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think it's because iTunes is a windows app as well, and they likely have the same graphic resources hiding in iTunes somewhere. Sucks, I know, but I can't think of another reason.

This is the problem with developing iTunes on two platforms. The Mac version of iTunes on Leopard looks like an old Mac app that was ported to Windows and then ported back again. I just hope they've gotten the clue, and truely unify the UI of ALL of their apps. Everything on Leopard looks so great, but then you bring up iTunes, and it's just sad. And Apple - pick a scrollbar style. I don't care which one you use, but just use one.

One other thing - they have a Windows version of Safari now, but the current Mac version is still a MAC app - why can't the iTunes dev team manage this?

ReanimationLP
Nov 1, 2007, 02:28 PM
Maybe they'll fix the stupid bug in iTunes for XP, where you close out iTunes, it'll crash out, then start back up again. -_-

Drumjim85
Nov 1, 2007, 02:35 PM
Maybe they'll fix the stupid bug in iTunes for XP, where you close out iTunes, it'll crash out, then start back up again. -_-

i dont have this issue :confused:

QuarterSwede
Nov 1, 2007, 02:36 PM
and

Barring the clear traffic lights (close, min, max) and light grey scrollbars. It doesn't get as light grey as other windows but seriously, it still looks like a Tiger background window so there really isn't any confusion on my end ... that and it has it's own space.

DaBrain
Nov 1, 2007, 02:38 PM
I'll be surprised if Apple doesn't address the lack of "notes" syncing with the iPhone and OS X.

On a side note, in update, I'm surprised Apple hasn't released 10.4.11 for Tiger. It has been a few months in beta now. :confused:

Yeah, Me Too! IM surprised that 10.4.11 hasn't been released. Something must be holding Apple back from releasing it. :confused:

nineteentwelve
Nov 1, 2007, 02:41 PM
I'd like to see some form of QuickLook integration. Also, the ability to navigate through an album using Cover Flow, like you can on the iPhone and iPod touch.

Here's hoping!

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 02:42 PM
Upload and sell Garageband music and you get 9 cents back for every 99 cents they sell.

Especially since the law suit finished with Apple Corps...

infectbda
Nov 1, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'd like to see some form of QuickLook integration. Also, the ability to navigate through an album using Cover Flow, like you can on the iPhone and iPod touch.

Here's hoping!

Don't understand what the point of QuickLook would be, but I agree that having tracks on the backs of the album covers would make using CoverFlow in full screen cool.

milo
Nov 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
Please support Flac!!!

=>>>

Why? I don't see any reason to since they already have a lossless format.

nemaslov
Nov 1, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hey, How about a more usable way to change typeface size settings when you print CD books. If my song list has more than say 23 songs, it will list the names of the first 23 and then say....plus 6 more songs. Also Names of bands get cut off sometimes if the songs name or band is long.

If you could play with typefaces and reduce point sizes you could compensate.

Should be easy for Apple to fix.

TheSpaz
Nov 1, 2007, 03:02 PM
Maybe they'll modify the graphics to make it look morel like Leopard... or perhaps even better... call for the system resources for iTunes graphics rather than have them all embedded into the App itself.

GilGrissom
Nov 1, 2007, 03:02 PM
I must admit the songs on the back of the album art in coverflow ala iPhone and iPod Touch would be my biggest request. As well as other tidiness updates and bug fixes.

TheSpaz
Nov 1, 2007, 03:05 PM
This is the problem with developing iTunes on two platforms. The Mac version of iTunes on Leopard looks like an old Mac app that was ported to Windows and then ported back again. I just hope they've gotten the clue, and truely unify the UI of ALL of their apps. Everything on Leopard looks so great, but then you bring up iTunes, and it's just sad. And Apple - pick a scrollbar style. I don't care which one you use, but just use one.

One other thing - they have a Windows version of Safari now, but the current Mac version is still a MAC app - why can't the iTunes dev team manage this?

Maybe this is because iTunes is still using old code from Mac OS 9? So they would have to rewrite it pretty much to make it behaving like everything else in OS X. That's jut my guess... I'm not a programmer.

aswitcher
Nov 1, 2007, 03:07 PM

And email for touch!

tk421
Nov 1, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hey, How about a more usable way to change typeface size settings when you print CD books. If my song list has more than say 23 songs, it will list the names of the first 23 and then say....plus 6 more songs. Also Names of bands get cut off sometimes if the songs name or band is long.

That's another good request. I've had that same problem myself.

Lonon
I'll take today is a slow news day.

nemaslov
I too would like an option for duplicates to be...well more refined. I have about 33,000 songs on my iTunes and Classic ipod. I also have many versions of the same songs which I love and want to keep, ie Mono/stereo, demos, live versions, alternate takes and so on.

There must be a way to bring up EXACT duplicates up. I mean songs that are idendical-maybe loadsed in from main album as well as collections and hits.

The time (length of the songs) would probably be the easiest for Apple to manage as versions are ususally slightly different times.

Maybe you could click boxes before it pulls up the dupes so you could zero in closer to actual exact dupe songs.

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 03:09 PM
Faster opening is all I really want from this...hopefully an update will bring that (especially on Leopard)...

ChrisA
Nov 1, 2007, 03:22 PM
[would it be nice if they could make the cataloging system "work" for cclassical and jazz? People have been asking for this from the beginning

kitki83
Nov 1, 2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, Me Too! IM surprised that 10.4.11 hasn't been released. Something must be holding Apple back from releasing it. :confused:

Thank goodness someone else is concern about this other than me. I can't connect my external HD directly to my MP instead I have to hook it up on USB hub 1.1, and I am not gonna waste money on something that can be fixed. (All hacks to fix it did not work for me)

Jetson
Nov 1, 2007, 03:25 PM

Thank you!

I sent a request for this to Apple's one-way feedback site a couple of years ago.

The CD booklet printing is great - it only needs a few more features to make it outstanding. Adding the capability to adjust fonts, sizes, print 2 lines per track and possibly choose some additional fields such as release date, album name, and composer would be really nice.

Seems like Apple has stopped making significant creative improvements to the iTunes app for a number of years now, being content with minor tweaks now and then.

ipodG8TR
Nov 1, 2007, 03:30 PM
1. Allow users to add the "Explicit" tag to songs already in their iTunes library.

2. Better management for iTunes library for multiple users in household. Purchased content should be available to every user, but libraries should be unique. Eliminate chance of duplicate purchases even if multiple accounts in household.

3. Give us the option to select more than one genre per song. A Soundtrack is also going to be a certain type of music. Holiday (Christmas, Halloween, etc) and Disney (Children's) are also too general. I hate manually adding "keywords" to the comments section.

4. Add and/or logic to smart playlists.

5. More options (fonts/sizes) when printing album art.

6. Allow duplicate (identical) songs to be shared between multiple albums so albums are complete (alias with info for 2nd and 3rd tracks?).

I'm sure I'm missing some.

ChrisA
I too would like an option for duplicates to be...well more refined. I have about 33,000 songs on my iTunes and Classic ipod. I also have many versions of the same songs which I love and want to keep, ie Mono/stereo, demos, live versions, alternate takes and so on....

When they get around to fixing iTunes to better handle classical and jazz then you will have what you ask for. Or when they solve your problem classical and jaz fans will have what they want.

Classical and jaz genres are the most likely to have large numbers of duplicates. The same composition might by played many times by different performers

daneoni
Hopefully the address the fact that once an iPhone is syncing, its pretty hard to do anything else without significant crawl/slowdown.

Also address Coverflow's lagging/jerkiness

izzle22
Nov 1, 2007, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=Jetson;4429831]Dude,

Don't be a dinosaur - adapt or die :D

Actually I was surprised when I first noticed that the collating sequence had changed. I prefer the new sequence - I feel that it cleans thing up a bit in my list to see tracks beginning with letters first, followed by numbers and special characters. It's just an aesthetics thing with me.

I am so with you on this. I like the new sequence as well. It looks much cleaner.

ChrisA
Nov 1, 2007, 03:37 PM

Oh, gosh, that is so easy to fix. Just reformat the drive, reinstall Windows, download a new copy of iTunes then re-import all your music. Any half-way knowable Windows user knows that this is just "normal monthly maintenance".

Object-X
Nov 1, 2007, 03:43 PM
iTunes needs to be fixed.

Full Screen mode does not stay persistent when you navigate away. If you set iTunes up in Full Screen mode with it's own desktop in Spaces, for example, and then switch spaces, when you return, iTunes has defaulted back to GUI mode. This is really annoying and very short sighted of Apple.

The other big problem with iTunes is that CoverFlow does not function like it does on the iPhone or iPod Touch. iTunes on the Mac lets you see the album art and select only the first song if you click it. Apple needs to add the ability to flip the album cover around so you can choose the song you want.

Until they do these two things iTunes full screen CoverFlow sucks.

Zoolevation
Nov 1, 2007, 03:54 PM
I want Time Machine support in 7.5

Goldcard
Nov 1, 2007, 03:56 PM

i personally like having letters first. it looks more organized when you open up itunes and don't see a bunch of $(%*@ right away. just my opinion. You could just click the song name tab at the top and reverse sort the whole column. not that hard.

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
Apple needs to add the ability to flip the album cover around so you can choose the song you want.

Maybe Apple doesn't want to overlap Front Row functionality...

cbrain
Nov 1, 2007, 04:02 PM
Hopefully we should see Time Machine compatibility and the window will look like a Leopard window instead of a Tiger window.

morespce54
Nov 1, 2007, 04:06 PM

Easy! We're not ready yet for that much changes... ;)

twoodcc
Nov 1, 2007, 04:06 PM

hey, now that is a pretty good idea.

i wonder what else this update will address? either way, looking forward to it

milatchi
Nov 1, 2007, 04:08 PM
Still no FLAC support (not that I was expecting it).

Object-X
Nov 1, 2007, 04:11 PM
Maybe Apple doesn't want to overlap Front Row functionality...

That's an interesting point, but it seems that FrontRow is languishing along with the AppleTV. Apple has not updated these interfaces since their introduction. I personally think the whole FrontRow/AppleTV thing is going no where because Apple can't sign deals for HD media content. Regardless, Apple has shown what it can do with CoverFlow and Core Animation on the iPhone, why they are not adding this to iTunes on the Mac is perplexing.

morespce54
Nov 1, 2007, 04:12 PM
Thats what I'm hoping to get out of this ...

...And what about sync'ing (correctly) Contacts and Calendars?
Man, that would be awesome! ;)

(Couldn't resist. I wish for it on every time there is an iTunes update :D)

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 04:13 PM
That's an interesting point, but it seems that FrontRow is languishing along with the AppleTV. Apple has not updated these interfaces since their introduction. I personally think the whole FrontRow/AppleTV thing is going no where because Apple can't sign deals for HD media content. Regardless, Apple has shown what it can do with CoverFlow and Core Animation on the iPhone, why they are not adding this to iTunes on the Mac is perplexing.

Maybe they're too busy making a touch screen media interface...

iJawn108
Nov 1, 2007, 04:14 PM
scale able scroll bars like in logic studio?

http://i16.tinypic.com/40mbuk7.png

grizzlybrice
Nov 1, 2007, 04:17 PM
I want the ability to rate albums as a whole and not just individual songs. :rolleyes:

gB

psychofreak
Nov 1, 2007, 04:19 PM
I want the ability to rate albums as a whole and not just individual songs. :rolleyes:

gB

That came in the last update, just go into the middle view option, and there are rating stars under each album

I wish I could take it away, they're so ugly IMO

lcdbot27
Nov 1, 2007, 04:21 PM
There's a bug I've experienced with Leopard that causes iTunes to take a long amount of time to start up if an iPod Shuffle is plugged in. I know a few other people who've had the same issue, so it's not just my system. Hopefully it gets fixed.

davak
Nov 1, 2007, 04:23 PM
Perfectly stated.

1. Allow users to add the "Explicit" tag to songs already in their iTunes library.

2. Better management for iTunes library for multiple users in household. Purchased content should be available to every user, but libraries should be unique. Eliminate chance of duplicate purchases even if multiple accounts in household.

3. Give us the option to select more than one genre per song. A Soundtrack is also going to be a certain type of music. Holiday (Christmas, Halloween, etc) and Disney (Children's) are also too general. I hate manually adding "keywords" to the comments section.

Drumjim85
Nov 1, 2007, 04:28 PM

you're saying that as if apple has anything to do with Logic .... pshhh ;)

madmaxmedia
Nov 1, 2007, 04:38 PM
I would love for iTunes to launch faster.

grizzlybrice
Nov 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
Interesting, I didn't notice that, empty stars? Hmm. Not sure I like that or not, but at least its there... and they can build off it.

That came in the last update, just go into the middle view option, and there are rating stars under each album

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
Still no FLAC support (not that I was expecting it).

Isn't that what Apple Lossless is for?

And I'm with everyone with wanting to split the movies to a different folder.

I do like the song in more than one album idea but it's not that important. Against a "tag" option. There's a comments section and a grouping section. What do you need tags for if you have a grouping section?

nemaslov
Nov 1, 2007, 04:49 PM
When they get around to fixing iTunes to better handle classical and jazz then you will have what you ask for. Or when they solve your problem classical and jaz fans will have what they want.

Classical and jaz genres are the most likely to have large numbers of duplicates. The same composition might by played many times by different performers

Yes I know and agree. I listen to literally evertything and have a tons of Coltrane, Miles and other jazz box sets loaded in with several or more takes of the same song but all quite different. I want a series of boxes or something I can check off. Maybe start with title, then length, year and so on.

nemaslov
Nov 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
Album Art: And what about the BACK covers. :D

BWhaler
Nov 1, 2007, 04:54 PM

Great idea. I would love that.

I think what I am really hoping for is speed and tons of bug fixes. Apple needs to take a breath and get their quality up. (Hardware and software, across the board.)

On that note, and related to music, I really hope we see a serious and major update to the latest iPod software. I own all three of the new models and each of them are buggy as sin...

Maccus Aurelius
Nov 1, 2007, 04:58 PM
How about the ability to change the name of your content libraries again? On older versions of iTunes, I was able to change the name from Music to Trax, or Rob's Muzak, and my movies to Flicks, but now it's stuck on Music and Movies and so on.

Redirecting from the Movies folder would be nice as well, but since I only ever really access movies through iTunes, I guess it's not too big a deal for me, but iTunes has a pretty nutty network of its own folders caught under the iTunes folder, at least on OS X. In Windows, it just takes it from wherever and leaves it there (which is why if you so much as move it to a different location, it's suddenly lost). But yeah, let me rename my stuff again, and I'll be happy as a pig in...you know.

Ubuntu
Nov 1, 2007, 04:59 PM

Can I ask, what is so bad about the Windows version? I gave my nano to my girlfriend, who uses Windows XP, and she said it was a nightmare. But then again, she only had 192mb RAM, apparently.

I've always wondered.

Gherkin
Nov 1, 2007, 05:28 PM
The only improvement I need in iTunes:

The ability to flip the album cover around in Cover Flow full screen mode to select a specific track ŕ la the iPhone/Touch.

ross.32
Nov 1, 2007, 05:29 PM
I would like a new way to organize songs with multiple artists.

For songs with only one artist, everything would stay the same (Artist, Sort Artist).

For songs with more than one artist, include a new category: Display Artist. In the Display Artist category, you would type the artist name that you want displayed for that particular song. For instance, lets take the Akon and Eminem song 'Shake That.' The 'Artist' would be Akon, and the 'Display Artist' would be Akon and Eminem. In the song info, I would also add a "Artist Tab'. At the top, have the main Artist (Akon in this case) followed by the Display Artist.

After that I would have an 'Additional Artist' category. I could list Eminem here, so that this song would be accessible from the Eminem artist section also. It should be made to have support for as many "Additional Artists' as you choose. Each 'Additional Artist' could also come with a 'Sort Additional Artist' much like the Sorting tab in Song Info. This is also nice because I could have all of the D12 songs list D12 as the artist; yet fall into D12 and Eminem in the artist section.

ChristoRogers
Nov 1, 2007, 05:47 PM
My theory is that they're going to release the final version of Safari 3 (for platforms other than Leopard) and bundle it with the Windows version of iTunes 7.5, like they do QuickTime already, since iTunes already is using WebKit to render the iTunes Store on Windows. I believe Steve Jobs mentioned something about bundling it eventually when he announced Safari for Windows.

Cameront9
Nov 1, 2007, 05:52 PM
Can I ask, what is so bad about the Windows version? I gave my nano to my girlfriend, who uses Windows XP, and she said it was a nightmare. But then again, she only had 192mb RAM, apparently.

I've always wondered.

It's a Terrible memory Hog. It's slow to start. Cover flow is choppy if you don't have a lot of Ram. It crashes sometimes. It's just a buggy windows program...

I suspect some of this is Apple's fault for not knowing how to effectively write Windows code, and some of it is Microsoft's fault for not allowing Windows to manage resources better.

ATimson
Nov 1, 2007, 06:00 PM
Maybe they want the Windows version to function? The Windows version of Safari fails as a Windows app. You can't even minimize/maximize it via the taskbar.

soundsgoodtome
Nov 1, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'd like to see them add in a "Videos" section, along with Movies and TV Shows for my little 2 minute long videos that I've made, that don't belong in with my full length movies, and sure don't belong in with my TV shows. A small complaint, but still something that I'd personally like to see.

But they're still "movies." Create a smart playlist, consisting of movies that are less than a certain size or duration, and call it "Videos."

jmadlena
Nov 1, 2007, 06:25 PM
A feature I've been hoping (and writing to them) for is to have a Bookmarks menu bar item. I shouldn't have to go searching or browsing to find a favorite artist/album. I should be able to click something like 'Bookmark This' on the page or in a menu and have it save the page in iTunes. I hate having to search for an artist and have a bunch of irrelevant other items come up.

I know they have more practical things to worry about like bugs, but this has been annoying me for as long as I've been using iTunes.

soundsgoodtome
Nov 1, 2007, 06:31 PM
Group tagging videos to either TV shows or films would be nice, or if you dragged a video into the TV section then it labeled it as TV and etc. It's a pain to manually change individual vids.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts01.php?page=1#setvideokindofselected

soundsgoodtome
Nov 1, 2007, 06:39 PM

gB

That feature already exists in 7.4.2.

soundsgoodtome
Nov 1, 2007, 06:42 PM

It's not necessary to go to Album View (i.e., the "middle view"). From any view, just hit Command-J and enable "Album Ratings."

admiraldennis
Nov 1, 2007, 06:45 PM
I am so with you on this. I like the new sequence as well. It looks much cleaner.
i personally like having letters first. it looks more organized when you open up itunes and don't see a bunch of $(%*@ right away. just my opinion. You could just click the song name tab at the top and reverse sort the whole column. not that hard.

The problem here is conventions and consistency. Everywhere else in the operation system (and in virtually every other cataloging system), symbols and numbers are sorted before letters. Even in the new versions of iTunes, the list of available playlists is sorted symbols -> numbers -> letters, and yet the track browser uses some bizarro-land sorting method.

I've been using iTunes since before Apple bought it (and it was called SoundJam MP). That's a long time to engrain into one's head that '2Pac' and '.38 Special' are at the top of the list, not the bottom. Completely shirking user expectations and common conventions is a very poor choice, especially in the name of 'aesthetics'.

soundsgoodtome
Nov 1, 2007, 06:48 PM
A feature I've been hoping (and writing to them) for is to have a Bookmarks menu bar item. I shouldn't have to go searching or browsing to find a favorite artist/album. I should be able to click something like 'Bookmark This' on the page or in a menu and have it save the page in iTunes. I hate having to search for an artist and have a bunch of irrelevant other items come up.

Hit Command-J, then enable either the "Category" or "Grouping" columns. Move the column wherever you'd like (such as right after the track name). Then, when you want to add a "favorite," click in that field and type a "%" or "•," or some other symbol of your choice -- a symbol that wouldn't typically appear in other fields. (I would avoid the asterisk.)

Then all you have to do is type that symbol in the search field, and voila -- you have your "bookmarks."

soundsgoodtome
Nov 1, 2007, 06:54 PM
The problem here is conventions and consistency. Everywhere else in the operation system (and in virtually every other cataloging system), symbols and numbers are sorted before letters. Even in the new versions of iTunes, the list of available playlists is sorted symbols -> numbers -> letters, and yet the track browser uses some bizarro-land sorting method.

I've been using iTunes since before Apple bought it (and it was called SoundJam MP). That's a long time to engrain into one's head that '2Pac' and '.38 Special' are at the top of the list, not the bottom. Completely shirking user expectations and common conventions is a very poor choice, especially in the name of 'aesthetics'.

I agree with your point, regarding consistency. However, I have so many songs that begin with numerals that I have to admit it would drive me nuts to see them all at the top. I prefer seeing the songs beginning with the letter "A" first.

That said, I do believe in consistency, so at the very least it would be cool if Apple made the sort order a simple matter of a preference. The user could choose the scheme he/she likes, and everyone would be happy.

Jetson
Nov 1, 2007, 07:36 PM
I agree with your point, regarding consistency. However, I have so many songs that begin with numerals that I have to admit it would drive me nuts to see them all at the top. I prefer seeing the songs beginning with the letter "A" first.

That said, I do believe in consistency, so at the very least it would be cool if Apple made the sort order a simple matter of a preference. The user could choose the scheme he/she likes, and everyone would be happy.
Great idea!

;)

ParisParamus
Nov 1, 2007, 07:42 PM
A hope and a comment: a way to search the iTunes Store in the search field without having to move the thing on the left side to "store"; and I've noticed that many more "hertzian" radio stations now appear in iTunes--not sure when that happened, but its a great addition.

smitty078
Nov 1, 2007, 07:57 PM

Because iTunes never was a Mac OS X App... it was a Classic (OS9) app before. It was sloppily ported to OS X as a Carbon application right from the start and has never lost that legacy ported feeling. As far as I know, it is still written in carbon, uses its own window drawing code, still uses (now depreciated) carbon quicktime interfaces, and hasn't really been modernized as a true OS X native app. I still don't understand why they have not at least gotten rid of the custom window drawing code (they even do this in other iApps -- i know iPhoto for sure). It just doesn't make sense to me.

P.S. Do not take my comments about iTunes being carbon to mean that I think carbon is bad, I understand that modern features can be implemented just fine in Carbon and that carbon apps are not necessarily any better or worse than Cocoa apps.

nineteentwelve
Nov 1, 2007, 08:06 PM
Don't understand what the point of QuickLook would be, but I agree that having tracks on the backs of the album covers would make using CoverFlow in full screen cool.

Thinking about it, QuickLook would be pretty pointless. Sorry!

guzhogi
Nov 1, 2007, 08:15 PM
I wonder what the duplicate songs fix means. I know when I imported my CDs, iTunes would "The Beatles" and just "Beatles" as 2 different artists. Maybe 7.5 will see them as the same?

supremedesigner
Nov 1, 2007, 08:32 PM
Perhaps movie rental service? I hope they includes subtitle / closed caption. :D :eek:

jmadlena
Nov 1, 2007, 08:42 PM
Hit Command-J, then enable either the "Category" or "Grouping" columns. Move the column wherever you'd like (such as right after the track name). Then, when you want to add a "favorite," click in that field and type a "%" or "•," or some other symbol of your choice -- a symbol that wouldn't typically appear in other fields. (I would avoid the asterisk.)

Then all you have to do is type that symbol in the search field, and voila -- you have your "bookmarks."

That isn't what I meant. Sorry that I didn't make myself clearer. I want a bookmarks in the iTunes Music Store. That way I don't have to search for favorite artists. The browser works well enough for me in my library. But thanks for the tip.

Jaryd

theBB
Nov 1, 2007, 08:52 PM
That isn't what I meant. Sorry that I didn't make myself clearer. I want a bookmarks in the iTunes Music Store. That way I don't have to search for favorite artists. The browser works well enough for me in my library. But thanks for the tip.

You can drag and drop any song from the store onto one of your playlists. When you open up that playlist and highlight any song, a little arrow appears which takes to the store page of that album. I don't think a bookmark feature will be any better.

I use this to keep a wishlist.

vkxonline
Nov 1, 2007, 08:59 PM
Is anyone else having that bug where you convert an AAC track and it doesn't convert at the right bitrate? If I tell my iTunes to convert a bunch of tracks at 192kbps, I get back a handful of songs that are at 191, 190, 189, 195, etc.

pkoch1
Nov 1, 2007, 09:09 PM

I dont really see the function of that in iTunes. Works great in Logic, but exactly how many fields would you have horizontally in your iTunes that you would need that? (and the type would get so small!)

tcoleman
Nov 1, 2007, 09:09 PM
Maybe they want the Windows version to function? The Windows version of Safari fails as a Windows app. You can't even minimize/maximize it via the taskbar.

Mine does. :confused:

tcoleman
Nov 1, 2007, 09:13 PM
Still no FLAC support (not that I was expecting it).Isn't that what Apple Lossless is for?

Apple Lossless is not free. That's what FLAC is for.

egoldin
Nov 1, 2007, 09:35 PM
I thnk that's a misplaced modifier i see in that post.

IzzyJG99
Nov 1, 2007, 09:39 PM
Thank God they're coming out with a new iTunes. My current iTunes on all of my 10.5 Macs are having major problems and it's really annoying when I am trying to listen to music and work.

ATimson
Nov 1, 2007, 09:43 PM
Mine does. :confused:
Interesting. Are you running Vista or XP?

OrangeCuse44
Nov 1, 2007, 10:02 PM

Amen to that.

AidenShaw
Nov 1, 2007, 10:04 PM

If by "suck a little less on windows" you mean "actually act like a normal Windows application" you can stop wasting your time - Fuggedaboutit (http://www.cafepress.com/njslogans/1088289/).

Historically, Apple apps have always been among the most user-belligerent ones on Windows....

MisterK
Nov 1, 2007, 10:25 PM
I think it's time Apple made a significant change to the iTunes icon. A CD seems... outdated....

ReanimationLP
Nov 1, 2007, 10:45 PM
Better performance for Windows would be nicer too, come on Apple, why is it I only get 10 FPS in your visualizer in a window, and I can pull 40-60FPS at 1920x1200 with all the settings maxed on Half Life 2 Episode Two, using a Radeon X1950 Pro.

I highly doubt visualizer, if coded right, would require that much power. Its just ridiculous.

Oh, and on my earlier rant about it opening and crashing, sometimes it will, sometimes it wont.

You can also click it, and it'll load into memory, but never, ever pop up.

Oh, and the whole Lets Put Words before Numbers and The, is annoying as all hell. :mad:

tcoleman
Nov 1, 2007, 11:26 PM
Interesting. Are you running Vista or XP?

Server 2003. :p

German
Nov 2, 2007, 02:04 AM
What I would like to see before that is HE-AAC/aacPlus. People with the smaller flash based iPods like the nano and touch will benefit from it (High Quality at 64kbps). Plus the internet radio in iTunes will also sound much better because a lot of the stations use that codec. But since iTunes doesn't support it they play back at regular AAC.

=> http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=58273&st=0&p=525715&#entry525715
:)

German
Nov 2, 2007, 02:16 AM

Apple petition to support open-source FLAC lossless audio codec

I encourage all people who are interested in iPods, iTunes, iPhones and Apple TVs being able to natively support FLAC to contact Apple (politely) and ask for Apple to adopt this open-source free lossless standard format (FLAC) in all their audio products. That way Apple will truly have open, standard (read non-proprietary) support in their popular iPod, iTunes and other products that can freely be read by other competitior's software and hardware products.

The more open formats that Apple adopts, the better we all are. Being tied into proprietary Microsoft WMA (DRM and non-DRM) and Apple ALAC formats is not wise in the long run and will require audio conversions in the future. Better to support a popular, non-proprietary, free lossless format now.

More: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53975&st=0

Would you like iTunes to support FLAC? So would we!

Due to the design of iTunes, only Apple can add support for FLAC [1]. And why wouldn't they? FLAC usage is accelerating, many bands like Pearl Jam, Phish, Dave Matthews Band, Metallica -- the same hip, influential people whose fans Apple courts -- are already distributing music in FLAC format, and users are clamoring for it in the iTunes forums:

* [2] "I have seen a lot of people on live music message boards turn away from the iPod because there are other music players that support FLAC. I am on the verge... and I am an Apple die-hard!"
* [3] "If your source material is FLAC (as many bands have gone this way to distribute online music) your choice is to use another music player ..."
* [4] (many more requests)

Make your voice heard! Fill out the iTunes feedback form (politely!) and let them know. Feel free to also direct them to this page. We at the FLAC project stand ready to help as well. http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

XiphQT, through tremendous effort by developers, goes as far as possible in allowing some playback capability via QuickTime. But proper iTunes support -- tag handling, no import delays, etc. -- is not possible without Apple.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/itunes.html

FLAC support in Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard” SDK?
What does it mean "supported (...) via its developer SDK"? That's a quite inaccurate statement and I don't think word "supported" can be used with what there is in the Leopard developer SDK. An example implementation of an AudioCodec built on top of libFLAC is all there is. Without any attempts to support any container file format that is used for FLAC (native FLAC, Ogg FLAC) it's of no use to normal users, and of little use even to developers. And there are no "FLAC tools embedded in the Leopard SDK".

For interested a bit more details on that subject in my post here. => http://barelyfocused.net/blog/2007/10/28/flac-support-in-mac-os-x-105-leopard/

elcid
Nov 2, 2007, 07:41 AM
Better management of duplicate video and song entries will be included

Finally. Moving files and integrating them have left me with a lot of duplicates. WinAmp used to be good at finding them, but it seems iTunes only finds them based on name. With how many live CD's I have I need it to include Album.

Yay!

elcid
Nov 2, 2007, 07:43 AM
Apple petition to support open-source FLAC lossless audio codec

I encourage all people who are interested in iPods, iTunes, iPhones and Apple TVs being able to natively support FLAC to contact Apple (politely) and ask for Apple to adopt this open-source free lossless standard format (FLAC) in all their audio products. That way Apple will truly have open, standard (read non-proprietary) support in their popular iPod, iTunes and other products that can freely be read by other competitior's software and hardware products.

The more open formats that Apple adopts, the better we all are. Being tied into proprietary Microsoft WMA (DRM and non-DRM) and Apple ALAC formats is not wise in the long run and will require audio conversions in the future. Better to support a popular, non-proprietary, free lossless format now.

More: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=53975&st=0

Would you like iTunes to support FLAC? So would we!

Due to the design of iTunes, only Apple can add support for FLAC [1]. And why wouldn't they? FLAC usage is accelerating, many bands like Pearl Jam, Phish, Dave Matthews Band, Metallica -- the same hip, influential people whose fans Apple courts -- are already distributing music in FLAC format, and users are clamoring for it in the iTunes forums:

* [2] "I have seen a lot of people on live music message boards turn away from the iPod because there are other music players that support FLAC. I am on the verge... and I am an Apple die-hard!"
* [3] "If your source material is FLAC (as many bands have gone this way to distribute online music) your choice is to use another music player ..."
* [4] (many more requests)

Make your voice heard! Fill out the iTunes feedback form (politely!) and let them know. Feel free to also direct them to this page. We at the FLAC project stand ready to help as well. http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

XiphQT, through tremendous effort by developers, goes as far as possible in allowing some playback capability via QuickTime. But proper iTunes support -- tag handling, no import delays, etc. -- is not possible without Apple.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/itunes.html

FLAC support in Mac OS X 10.5 “Leopard” SDK?
What does it mean "supported (...) via its developer SDK"? That's a quite inaccurate statement and I don't think word "supported" can be used with what there is in the Leopard developer SDK. An example implementation of an AudioCodec built on top of libFLAC is all there is. Without any attempts to support any container file format that is used for FLAC (native FLAC, Ogg FLAC) it's of no use to normal users, and of little use even to developers. And there are no "FLAC tools embedded in the Leopard SDK".

For interested a bit more details on that subject in my post here. => http://barelyfocused.net/blog/2007/10/28/flac-support-in-mac-os-x-105-leopard/

Almost an infomercial troll.

Pierremaison
Nov 2, 2007, 09:48 AM
I would like this too, although for now I've been using the comments field to accomplish this, only 1/2 way through my library though :( I grab the info from Allmusic.com btw.

Wow you must have lots of time on your hands?:eek:

Maccus Aurelius
Nov 2, 2007, 11:08 AM
I think it's time Apple made a significant change to the iTunes icon. A CD seems... outdated....

The CD is kind of iconic, and CD's are still a big format for music right now, so it's not really outdated. Now, if the icon was a tape cassette, then we'd have something there. :p

EagerDragon
Nov 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
My big problem with itunes, is that when it sync an iPod, the iPod no longer remebers where it was in the playlist. I listen to podcasts on the way in and out of work and then sync in the morning for new ones, it always forgets where it left off.
GRRR

Steve Works
Nov 2, 2007, 12:06 PM
they should make it more like windows media player... i mean that piece of software is probably the best thing ms has done (and office too of course...)

iTunes for windows sucks.. it SUCKS in capital letters!!!

morespce54
Nov 2, 2007, 12:37 PM

I know they have more practical things to worry about like bugs, but this has been annoying me for as long as I've been using iTunes.

Agree. I know there's quite a few tricks (or workarounds) to do this but still, it is strange that they haven't included this feature yet...

izzle22
Nov 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
they should make it more like windows media player... i mean that piece of software is probably the best thing ms has done (and office too of course...)

Are you smoking crack? iTunes is waaaaaay better than media player. MS has been trying to get media player up to itunes for years and still can't. And yes I use media player every day at work because I can't download iTunes here. I hate using media player and can't wait to get home to iTunes.

knelto
Nov 2, 2007, 12:51 PM

The new WMP blows. Sure, iTunes may be slow on XP but it's manageable for now (until I get my iMac). To be honest, I was a fan of the OLD WMP... I think it's called Classic but it's still installed in XP. It was simple and worked back in the day.

Dany M
Nov 2, 2007, 01:49 PM
I know it wold be pointless but how about quicklook:eek:

How about when in coverflow you can see the video in coverflow like in the finder whre a small play icon appear or when in coverflow, you can see albums and when you click on the albums in coverflow, they flip around to show the songs like in iphone or iPod Touch.

swingerofbirch
Nov 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
They need to fix the close, minimize, maximize buttons--in Leopard they still have the Tiger appearance.

The window also doesn't fade to the white background color when not in front like the other apps.

Kyle Maurer
Nov 2, 2007, 02:18 PM
I am very happy Apple is finally releasing this, hopefully there is some other cool new features :)

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 2, 2007, 03:44 PM
Apple Lossless is not free. That's what FLAC is for.

Apple Loseless isn't free? How much does it cost? Maybe because I don't use it I don't pay for it.

tcoleman
Nov 2, 2007, 08:47 PM
Apple Loseless isn't free? How much does it cost? Maybe because I don't use it I don't pay for it.

I meant free (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software) as in speech, not free as in beer (although FLAC is that too). ALAC is a proprietary codec, while FLAC is open.

rockosmodurnlif
Nov 2, 2007, 10:08 PM
I meant free (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software) as in speech, not free as in beer (although FLAC is that too). ALAC is a proprietary codec, while FLAC is open.

Oh. :cool:

Nov 2, 2007, 10:52 PM
It would be nice if it becomes 64-bit Vista compliant.

Probably not going to happen. I had a problem with iTunes and 64-bit Vista, and I just googled my problem and found a guide that made iTunes compatible with 64-bit Vista, so if you are still having problems I would try that.

Invasion
Nov 2, 2007, 11:09 PM
Everyone please go request the HE-AAC/aacPlus encoder for iTunes! I've put in so many requests.

iTunes Feedback (http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html) :apple:

And mention that it will improve the sound quality of the internet radio! Maybe if everyone would do it they'd add support for it. :)

phatspider
Nov 3, 2007, 06:40 AM
I just want the ability to sync iPhoto '08 Events to devices...

Ditto - I spent ages deleting all my albums and getting my events in order only to find no sync :(

dadudeness
Nov 3, 2007, 05:17 PM

i'm so totally with you!

SeaFox
Nov 3, 2007, 08:04 PM

I'd like to see some performance improvements. iTunes is just really bloated for when its just playing music. I also would like fewer and slimmer always-running background processes. I trashed the folder with the iPhone-related stuff that was added in the last update. iTunes itself seems unaffected, and I no longer have "ApplePhonewhatever" always on my process list.

SeaFox
Nov 3, 2007, 08:30 PM

I don't have this issue. Although I do have iTunes get launched automatically when I visit some websites in my Firefox, it doesn't play anything. It just opens the program, which wouldn't be so annoying if iTunes launched faster. I usually think the browser is choking on some badly written javascript until the window appears.

The point is to be able to play FLAC files from off the internet, which there is a range of public domain content as well as artist-released content out there. This isn't just about wanting to use some preferred lossless format for ripping CDs. Right now I have to decompress the FLAC files into WAVs before they can be brought into iTunes.

Shouldn't an album's rating be the average of all the songs on it?

I would love for iTunes to launch faster.
Amen.

I've always wondered.
She probably had a processor that was a little underpowered to run iTunes (or iTunes and anything else) if her RAM amount is any indicator to the age of her machine.

I wonder what the duplicate songs fix means. I know when I imported my CDs, iTunes would "The Beatles" and just "Beatles" as 2 different artists. Maybe 7.5 will see them as the same?
Why don't you make them the same yourself. shift-click on both entries in the Artist list, then cmd-a on the song list, and cmd-i to edit tags for all tracks, and retype the artist name. Done.

psychofreak
Nov 3, 2007, 08:32 PM
I would like faster start up more than anything - I use QS to control it so hardly see the UI anyway...

SteveLV702
Nov 3, 2007, 09:00 PM
and I bet $1,000,000,000 they still haven't added support for Windows XP/Vista 64bit........

Dustman
Nov 4, 2007, 07:15 AM

They're probably going to wait for a while so that when they do release it, it gives the public the idea that it's still being supported by updates :P

SthrnCmfrtr
Nov 4, 2007, 01:28 PM

Not necessarily. You can have an album composed entirely of four-star songs that is rated higher than four stars simply because it's consistent and hangs together well. On the other hand, a greatest hits album might not work all that well as a whole and sound like what it is -- a bunch of songs from different periods with different sounds and no underlying theme.

Also, that would mean that an album would have to be composed entirely of five-star songs in order to get a five-star rating, and that doesn't really happen. Even my favorite albums, that I would without hesitation give five-star ratings to, are not composed entirely of five-star songs. Plus, people often buy CDs now that are remasters of old albums with bonus live/unreleased/alternate/etc tracks on the end. You might think Dark Side of the Moon is a five star album, and give each and every song on there five stars, but if you have three bonus tracks of Roger Waters whimpering quietly while his mother spanks him, those might merely get a 1/2 star rating.

So no, I don't believe album ratings should be an average of the track ratings.

ATimson
Nov 4, 2007, 10:22 PM
Not necessarily. I mean, arguably, yes--but what kind? A straight average, weighting all tracks equally? One weighting the tracks based on how long they are? One that ignores tracks whose artist is not the album artist?

Kelmon
Nov 5, 2007, 07:13 AM

I'm still shocked that Time Machine support wasn't present at Leopard's launch since iTunes is another application where support makes so much sense. This was one of my main tests for Time Machine (I deleted a TV Show) so imagine my surprise when one of Apple's flagship products didn't work with it.

nigrunze
Nov 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
It's available ... Right Now.

furcalchick
Nov 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
It's available ... Right Now.

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/apple_releases_itunes_75/

ditdot
Nov 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
iTunes 7.5 is here. Just downloading now.

stcanard
Nov 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/apple_releases_itunes_75/

Hmm, double-meh.

Spend time downloading for a bunch of stuff I'm not allowed to use. I guess that's why they need the nag-windows, to force people outside of the US to do it.

Wouldn't it be nice if they put a bit of time into adding something other people could use?