PDA

View Full Version : Leopard + G5 = noisy fans

Will Cheyney
Nov 1, 2007, 06:40 PM
Anyone else having the same problem?

I've just installed Leopard on my Dual 2.7Ghz G5 and now the fans are going mental. I even installed the Processor preference pane so that I could disable napping, but this doesn't seem to have made any conceivable difference.
The fans are really blowing, even whilst using something light like Mail or Safari.

:confused:

TAV
Nov 1, 2007, 06:41 PM
Has your machine finished indexing? The fans on my lil' 'ol G4 did the same until such time as Spotlight was sorted. No issues previously with my Intel lappy or desktop though, but the G4 was whirling during the process.

andy.barron
Nov 1, 2007, 06:44 PM
still on tiger, but have you tried changing your processor setting to 'highest' as a pose to 'auto'?

worked for me on Tiger.

Apart from that, is the OS as lush as it looks?:)

Will Cheyney
Nov 1, 2007, 07:05 PM
Indexing has finished, yeh.
I've tried doing all the tricks with the processor settings that working in Tiger, but the only thing that seems to work is by setting the processor performace to 'reduced'. Hmmm...

The OS is slick as hell though. Such a pleasure to use, and a genuine feeling that is has been very loved during it's development.

andy.barron
Nov 1, 2007, 07:13 PM
Sorry, I hope someone can be more help than the processor idea.

Nice setutp though:)

TantalizedMind
Nov 1, 2007, 09:28 PM
Guys.. I'm having the same problem on my Single 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5. The fans go berserk for no reason.

rendezvouscp
Nov 1, 2007, 09:35 PM
Dual 2 G5 here without problems; sorry I can't be of help. :(
-Chasen

Mac_Max
Nov 2, 2007, 02:28 AM
Try resetting the NVRAM, PRAM, etc. That has generally fixed that issue in the past. Sometimes the settings for the fan can become corrupted.

desenso
Nov 2, 2007, 09:01 AM
So the fans are running permanently?

I remember on my G5 Dual 2.7 the fans would go full blast all the time for seemingly no reason at all...

iBecks
Nov 2, 2007, 09:05 AM
Anyone else having the same problem?

I've just installed Leopard on my Dual 2.7Ghz G5 and now the fans are going mental. I even installed the Processor preference pane so that I could disable napping, but this doesn't seem to have made any conceivable difference.
The fans are really blowing, even whilst using something light like Mail or Safari.

:confused:

Try resetting the PMU, see if that helps.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86760

Flynnstone
Jan 8, 2008, 03:05 PM
Guys.. I'm having the same problem on my Single 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5. The fans go berserk for no reason.

I have a single 1.8GHz G5 as well. The fans start speeding up then back to normal. A bit possessed :eek:

Any solution?