PDA

View Full Version : crt iMac & ethernet

mim
Sep 13, 2003, 02:27 AM
Hi Guys

I've just picked up an old G3 600 iMac to use as a little home server. I'm having trouble establishing an ethernet connection between it and my (dell) laptop. I know that lots of people seem to have problems with the old iMac ethernet ports dying....I have 2 weeks of Apple care left on this thing, so I want to try and establish if the iMac ethernet port is the problem.

Ok, details. It's running 10.1 (just downloaded & about to update to 10.1.5). I've got a crossover cable connecting the two machines (I have used the cable before, so I'm fairly sure it's healthy). The ethernet port light on the dell keeps flashing - the connection keeps dropping. I have managed to ping the iMac from the dell only a couple of times. Checking network utility from the iMac shows the link connecting/disconnecting every few seconds. The transfer stats from the mac show:

Sent packets 2772
Send Errors: 0
Recv Packets: 61
Recv Errors: 13760 (& growing)
Collisions: 0

Does anyone know what's going on here? Is there a way I can check if it's the iMac port that's the problem? I really need another computer to check against I guess - anyone in Melbourne with a laptop? I can pay kindness with beer ;)

Cheers for any help.

<edit: spelling, ugh>

Stelliform
Sep 13, 2003, 10:37 AM
My iMac with a dead ethernet port doesn't ever show active. If you had a small hub you could check link lights and see on the hub what the connection is doing.

If your crossover cable is homemade, I would redo the ends and see if that helps.

Good Luck!