PDA

View Full Version : This a Problem?

peterj1967
Sep 13, 2003, 01:07 PM
Was just doing some upkeep on my machine and when running Disk Utilities I ran into a few errors. Must a ran it 10 times and I can't get them repaired. Is it worth going to something like Disk Warrior or Norton to get them fixed? Or any suggestions.

I attached the screen capture of the text

alset
Sep 13, 2003, 03:33 PM
I'd run Disk Warrior if you're concerned. It certainly couldn't hurt. Avoid Norton. Too many reports of nuked drives to take a chance.

Dan

rainman::|:|
Sep 13, 2003, 05:07 PM
forgive the stupid question, but have you repaired permissions? if it's trying to alter a file it cannot, it won't ever fix the problem... but i'm guessing you have, since you're in disk utilities...

a more advanced program might not hurt, the only disk problem that a utility cannot fix would be hardware-- which a more advanced utility should know how to work around. so i would expect something like diskdoctor or diskwarrior would fix it...

i'm going to get flamed for recommending a norton product for OS X :rolleyes:

pnw

peterj1967
Sep 13, 2003, 11:35 PM
Not a stupid question, but yes I repaired permissions prior to trying disk repair.

Rezet
Sep 14, 2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
forgive the stupid question, but have you repaired permissions? if it's trying to alter a file it cannot, it won't ever fix the problem... but i'm guessing you have, since you're in disk utilities...

a more advanced program might not hurt, the only disk problem that a utility cannot fix would be hardware-- which a more advanced utility should know how to work around. so i would expect something like diskdoctor or diskwarrior would fix it...

i'm going to get flamed for recommending a norton product for OS X :rolleyes:

pnw

Norton is an excellent program. I think symantec is by far the leader in all utility programs for pc and mac.

peterj1967
Sep 14, 2003, 12:54 AM
Went with Disk warrior, finds the problems, but craps out with an error just as it's finishing. I'll post it later. Ran it a few times to see if it would take care of it, but I seem to have overlapped files it can't fix...

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 14, 2003, 02:13 AM
It's possible (although unlikely) that bad RAM may be to blame. Try removing all the RAM that didn't come with your machine. I doubt it'll be the solution, but I've heard crazier things that work.

CMillerERAU
Sep 14, 2003, 02:17 AM
depending on your situation, it may just be time for a good old fashioned reformat. I have the luxury of a large external drive to back all my stuff to but I know many do not so try and find a friend that can lend you some hard drive space if you need. A few CD-RW's could do the trick too.

Reformatting will most likely fix any non-hardware issues with the hard drive and divert around bad sectors if there are any. I recommend reformatting at least once a year for my PC friends and as necessary for macs (could be a year, could be 10, depends on use).

CMillerERAU
Sep 14, 2003, 02:18 AM
PS: a good way to transfer to another computer's drives is using target disk mode which turns a mac into a firewire hard drive. Just start one up holding the T key and once you see the firewire symbol on screen plug it in via the firewire port into the second computer and transfer away!

CMillerERAU
Sep 14, 2003, 02:19 AM
*deleted*

Daveman Deluxe
Sep 14, 2003, 02:27 AM
Miller-

Please use the edit function next time. K thx.

peterj1967
Sep 14, 2003, 09:09 AM
I do have an external I can use for backing things up. Part of cleaning up all the files and such was to get ready to set up a system to have a backup system.

I was hoping to put off a reformat until Panther shows up.

Anyway, here's the story of my problem....

Once a month or maybe a little more often my dp 1.25 Kernel Panics when waking from sleep. It's just enough to really bug me, tried everything, reformat reinstall was a starting point, remove USB devices and drives. I only have a Canon s820 and Epson 1260. didn't fix it. I have a Lacie 80 Gig D2 Fire Wire Drive (my back up drive it also has a bootable system on it) and a Lacie CD Burner. All the devices and drives are pretty current, so I don't think they're the issue. I have spoke with apple and have taken the box to my local Apple fix-it shop, but I can't reproduce the issue and neither could they.

I've ran the Apple Hardware tool for 24 hrs in loop mode with no errors, I have reset the PMU and Zapped the pram, but the once and a while kernel Panics won't go away

Anyhow, the kernel panic is usually followed some other hiccups, so a repair permissions and disk repair usually take care of that. This time, however I have the two cross-linked files. I figured I would move them and run it again, but I can't open the files. The folder they are in has a little red circle with a line through it in the corner, and in the get info window, the owner is system. Can't you do something like log-in as root to get to that stuff????

The files are located Private/Var/Spool/cups/tmp/[File name is about 16 digits of letters and numbers]

I don't know *nix, so I don't know what they are and I can't get to them through the finder, to move or delete them. They seem, by the path name, to be temp files.

peterj1967
Sep 14, 2003, 09:31 AM
I attached the error I get from Disk Warrior

CMillerERAU
Sep 14, 2003, 12:49 PM
Oh boy that sounds bad. It could be that there was a problem back when the OS was intalled and that's what's causing the strange bugs. Anyway, I'd reformat and see what happens, if it still has problems I'd say its a hardware issue.