PDA

View Full Version : iPhone UK Launch and 3G iPhone Plans

MacRumors
Nov 5, 2007, 08:12 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacWorld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=19584) points to to a Telegraph interview (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/03/ccprof203.xml) with O2's chief executive Matthew Key who provides some details on how O2 became Apple's iPhone partner in the UK. After meeting with Steve Jobs in Cupertino, Key had come to a decision:
''When we left two hours later, I said to Cesar, 'that's a device I've got to offer. In the UK market, where the top four networks have pretty much equal shares, it offers a great way for me to get a hell of a lot of high-value customers on to O2 and drive up data usage [to help offset pressure on voice call revenues]'."

According to FT.com (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/006f55aa-89b0-11dc-8dff-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1), Key expects "a couple of hundred thousand" iPhones to be sold in the first two months in the UK. FT.com also claims that the 3G version of the iPhone is due in the second half of next year, though the exact source is not cited. Regardless, Key appears confident that O2 would also get rights to the 3G iPhone when it arrives.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/05/iphone-uk-launch-and-3g-iphone-plans/)

LondonMacs
Nov 5, 2007, 08:15 AM
i hope to get one on friday. finally in the UK

igazza
Nov 5, 2007, 08:17 AM
good for the uk now they have this deal done apple can focus on asia Pacific. because i want a god damn iphone. a real one not a hacked one :apple:

raskar
Nov 5, 2007, 08:18 AM
I wonder if Apple will link with Three networks when they release there 3G iPhone?

BornAgainMac
Nov 5, 2007, 08:18 AM
Soon they will get their hands on the 3G "bloody" iPhone.

codo
Nov 5, 2007, 08:35 AM
Soon they will get their hands on the 3G "bloody" iPhone.

"bloody" 3G iPhone ;)

redwin11
Nov 5, 2007, 08:43 AM
I listened to O2 boss Peter Erskine on Radio 5 last night.

He said, quote, unquote, that 3G will be addressed next year.

Have a listen: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/podcasts/webiz/
It's about 30 minutes in.

No real surprise if a 3G handset does appear next year, the surprise wil be how many people are prepared to part cash for this model.

bilbo--baggins
Nov 5, 2007, 08:46 AM
Considering what happened this year - announced early at MacWorld (due to the inevitability of the FCC making details available) for release in June. I think it's quite likely that Apple will announce a 3G iPhone at MacWorld in January for release much later in the year.

bilbo--baggins
Nov 5, 2007, 08:48 AM
No real surprise if a 3G handset does appear next year, the surprise wil be how many people are prepared to part cash for this model.

The iPhone is the best phone on the market by far - even though it doesn't have 3G. That's why people will part with their cash. When a 3G phone becomes available - even better (assuming they do manage to fit it into the same size and keeping good battery life).

redwin11
Nov 5, 2007, 08:56 AM
The iPhone is the best phone on the market by far - even though it doesn't have 3G. That's why people will part with their cash. When a 3G phone becomes available - even better (assuming they do manage to fit it into the same size and keeping good battery life).

What, you think Apple will give you a free upgade?

If ever there was a product that was worth holding off until the second incarnation (which is, seemingly, already in the works) then this is it.

The one saving grace would be if Apple chose not to release the 3G phone until 18 months time when the contracts would have finished for early adopters.

Hmm.

happydude
Nov 5, 2007, 08:58 AM
i'm looking to enter the iphone world sometime february when my tmobile contract is up . . . but with 3G on the horizon . . . would apple actually release those details in January and expect sales NOT to drop waiting for 3G to be released?

MattJessop
Nov 5, 2007, 09:15 AM
3G would be a major deal for the iPhone, because it is fairly near to what most people have for broadband, unlike the current bandwidth which can be painfully slow.

If it was 3G however, then the iPhone could really just have a good faster always on connection, and with the SDK being released soon, possibly even a VoIP client. Of course I don't see any sane Mobile phone network signing up for that of course :/

whatever
Nov 5, 2007, 09:16 AM

If ever there was a product that was worth holding off until the second incarnation (which is, seemingly, already in the works) then this is it.

The one saving grace would be if Apple chose not to release the 3G phone until 18 months time when the contracts would have finished for early adopters.

Hmm.

Apple does not need to wait for contracts to expire, what they could do instead is offer an 3G iPhone upgrade for an iPhone Trade in, extended two year contract (which is worth more to Apple than the iPhone) and a $200.00 3G iPhone.

How many existing iPhone users would do that? Pay $200 + sign on for another 2 year contract?

Orng
Nov 5, 2007, 09:22 AM
Oddly enough, the time thus far waiting for the iPhone to become available has actually been enough time for me to talk myself out of buying one. My ol' Samsung NoCam SuckyTone is working just fine. So while rumours of Intro to iPhone sessions at the Eaton Centre in Toronto have caught my interest, I've already talked myself down from the hype, so I'll have money for Christmas even if the iPhone does come.

Besides, it will probably be overpriced anyway. If I do get one, I don't intend to pay a penny more than the US price.

dvkid
Nov 5, 2007, 09:33 AM
How many existing iPhone users would do that? Pay $200 + sign on for another 2 year contract?

I ordered my iPhone on Friday. Should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. And I would DEFINITELY do that. Assuming its 6 to 8 months from now.

THE JUICEMAN
Nov 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
Apple does not need to wait for contracts to expire, what they could do instead is offer an 3G iPhone upgrade for an iPhone Trade in, extended two year contract (which is worth more to Apple than the iPhone) and a $200.00 3G iPhone.

I would gladly go this route rather than paying another $400-$500 plus.

Nym
Nov 5, 2007, 09:43 AM
Seriously, am I the only person in this world who is waiting for the non-3G iPhone?

My girlfriend has a Nokia 6280 and although we live in a full 3G covered area we never used it for video-calling or any other service that it supports.

Instead, the only thing that 3G "enabled" does is drain a cell phone's battery in less than 24 hours, I'm eager to pick up my non 3G iPhone when it arrives in my country before it's replaced by the probably more power-hungry 3G model.

And you can ask: Why do you want an iPhone then?

Humm, I'm waiting to buy a new iPod (my 1st gen Nano is dying) and I need a phone that syncs 100% with my Mac, for Safari, Mail and all those features I'll use the wi-fi connections that are available in most places I'm at:

At home and at work :)

I've been using a 1G GSM-only phone for the last decade and there's no better thing than charging your cell phone once a week, no 3G is going to top this freedom IMO.

Just my 2 cents to the whole iPhone/3G issue.

redwin11
Nov 5, 2007, 09:45 AM

Get real - why would Apple do that?
They know all the people mad enough to buy an iPhone now (as in, November, almost a year after it was unveiled, and with it's 3G successor in the works) will happly fork out another fortune for the new model once it comes available.

At most, you'd $100 (50) off if you upgraded - that would keep you sweet.

redwin11
Nov 5, 2007, 09:49 AM
Humm, I'm waiting to buy a new iPod (my 1st gen Nano is dying) and I need a phone that syncs 100% with my Mac, for Safari, Mail and all those features I'll use the wi-fi connections that are available in most places I'm at:

At home and at work :)

Alternatively, buy an iPhone Touch, that covers the iPod and Safari issues.

Meanwhile, at work and at home, why not use your computer?

See, I've saved you money, and you won't be any worse off.

Mackan
Nov 5, 2007, 10:30 AM
3G would be a major deal for the iPhone, because it is fairly near to what most people have for broadband, unlike the current bandwidth which can be painfully slow.

If it was 3G however, then the iPhone could really just have a good faster always on connection, and with the SDK being released soon, possibly even a VoIP client. Of course I don't see any sane Mobile phone network signing up for that of course :/

I am pretty sure Apple will do their best to prevent any kind of easy VoIP application development on the iPhone... that is just how they are.

And it is also worrying hearing that O2 expects to gets the rights to the next iPhone revision as well. This means Apple will continue to make the iPhone exclusive to specific carriers..... Please Apple, don't bring that greedy anti consumer friendly buisness overseas, stay in the U.S... please.

joseph2166
Nov 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
Besides, it will probably be overpriced anyway. If I do get one, I don't intend to pay a penny more than the US price.

Do you take the same line with everything you buy - refusing to pay any more than the U.S. equivalent? Presumably then you ship your car over to the U.S. to fill up with petrol, get your vegetables shipped over first class, and get everything electrical over the net?

Really if you live most places outside the states (especially Europe) then that's the price you pay for living there - higher prices and higher taxes. Live with it!

koobcamuk
Nov 5, 2007, 10:38 AM
possibly even a VoIP client. Of course I don't see any sane Mobile phone network signing up for that of course :/

3 UK do this... unlimted* skype :)

bilbo--baggins
Nov 5, 2007, 10:38 AM

Hmm.

No, I'm not expecting Apple to offer a 3G iPhone as an upgrade. I expect they will require customers to pay the usual price for the phone. However, I don't think they will require customers to wait until the end of their contract - I think they will waive the old contract if customers sign up to a new 18 month (perhaps like O2 have just added to their web site - customers who buy the old iPhone before the new one is announced can move to a new contact wihtout any penalty, customers who buy the old iPhone after the announcement will have to pay a penalty).

I'm happy to give up my 3G M600i for the iPhone - and I'm happy to pay for it now, and if a 3G iPhone comes out late next year I'll decide whether it's worth paying for that too.

whatever
Nov 5, 2007, 10:53 AM
Seriously, am I the only person in this world who is waiting for the non-3G iPhone?
Hi, don't get me wrong. I love my Edge iPhone. I looked at 3G phones in the a past and you're right the technology, just isn't there. It's like buying an hydrogen cell car, but there's nowhere to refuel it.

Also after playing around with an Edge iPhone I have to say that Edge isn't that bad. Sure WiFi is faster, but then again a hardwire network connection is faster than WiFi...but we still like WiFi. If I had a choice today between a 3G phone or an Edge iPhone, I would go with an iPhone. Hands down...no question. For me personally the iPhone is the best phone I've ever used!

g9icy
Nov 5, 2007, 11:14 AM
According to the wiki on EDGE, with some fine tuning Edge itself can be made to have speeds of 60k/sec (or just under). I'm not saying AT&T/O2 has those speeds, but surely that's fast enough for general browsing.

It's not like there are any apps to download, or that you can dl images and view them in Photo's. :)

EagerDragon
Nov 5, 2007, 11:16 AM
Considering what happened this year - announced early at MacWorld (due to the inevitability of the FCC making details available) for release in June. I think it's quite likely that Apple will announce a 3G iPhone at MacWorld in January for release much later in the year.

Understand the reason, but .... Would not that kill the sales of the current V1 iPhone?

jnc
Nov 5, 2007, 11:39 AM
Aw man... No one's gonna buy this thing unless they're loaded or their contracts are up. Otherwise it'll be a touch and their current mobile until the 3G one's out.

That said, my brother works at o2 so I'm entitled to a discount :D

GTiPhone
Nov 5, 2007, 11:49 AM
I think quite certainly there will be free upgrading from one iPhone to the next with NO adjustment to the cost of service.

Free meaning no extortionistic fees. Probably full retail for the new iPhone model.

For me to upgrade to a 3G phone, it would absolutely 100% also have to be:

1. A minimum of 16 gb of storage. Hopefully they can squeeze in 32 gb by then, at which time it will almost be a real iPod.

2. Battery life needs to be improved dramatically. No point in having a 3G unit that lasts 2 hours. I'm not asking for miracles here, but the iPhone battery is not the best available. Hopefully they are spending lots of our money researching and improving this aspect.

3. Have some improvements across the entire app collection and UI. Many or most of the basic improvements we all want. These are not desires, they are HOLES in a great product.

Too many people with their shoulders firmly against Apple cheeks like to criticize people who say that the iPhone "should" have this or that. I beseech you. There is a big difference between wanting a photobooth app or video chat app, and wanting Mail to have a delete all messages button. Big difference.

GTiPhone
Nov 5, 2007, 11:50 AM
Understand the reason, but .... Would not that kill the sales of the current V1 iPhone?

What would be the alternative, wait until sales dwindle on their own, and THEN announce a new product 6 months in the waiting?

This is precisely the problem with announcing products and its why Apple does not do it, with the iPhone being the legal exception. It will be interesting to say the least to see how they handle it. My guess is they will announce in Jan, and cross their fingers that it doesn't kill sales completely.

lazyrighteye
Nov 5, 2007, 12:07 PM
I don't know... 3G just seems a lot of buzz word hype right now.
If battery is as crap as has been reported (never used 3G personally) and device footprint needs to increase in size to accommodate 3G... remind me, again, why I would want 3G?
So I can purchase music from iTS, faster? :rolleyes:

I am really enjoying my iPhone, EDGE and all. Short of 3rd party compatibility, I have no issues with battery, page load speeds (yes, even on EDGE) and/or overall performance.

The few things I'd like to see a v2 address are: 3rd party-friendliness, hard disc mode (more than any, lacking feature - for me, this one is brutal... requiring me to STILL carry around a jump drive), cut & paste, camera that also captures video, no easily marred chrome border (more like that of the Touch), and the back of the device not as slick. I don't list more storage as 1) so far, I am managing fine with 8GB and 2) larger storage is inevitable.

I can't imagine a new iPhone coming out and AT&T/Apple making their early adopters wait for their contracts to expire before upgrading. Pretty sure they will allow current iPhone users to upgrade (at full price of device, no doubt) and contracts will start over on that day. Honestly, think of the serious $ they would miss out on if they make early adopters wait.

Padraig
Nov 5, 2007, 12:13 PM
If battery is as crap as has been reported (never used 3G personally) and device footprint needs to increase in size to accommodate 3G... remind me, again, why I would want 3G?
So I can purchase music from iTS, faster? :rolleyes:

I am really enjoying my iPhone, EDGE and all. Short of 3rd party compatibility, I have no issues with battery, page load speeds (yes, even on EDGE) and/or overall performance.

There are 3g phones with great battery life that make the iphone look like a brick. W880 for instance and that's almost a year old. My new nokia 6500 classic is another.

lazyrighteye
Nov 5, 2007, 12:31 PM
What would be the alternative, wait until sales dwindle on their own, and THEN announce a new product 6 months in the waiting?

This is precisely the problem with announcing products and its why Apple does not do it, with the iPhone being the legal exception. It will be interesting to say the least to see how they handle it. My guess is they will announce in Jan, and cross their fingers that it doesn't kill sales completely.

FCC approval forced Apple's hand with the initial MWSF announcement/debut.
This time around, Apple will not have any "coming in 6 months" announcement. It will be more the standard Apple produce release: more light switch, more 'out-of-the-blue.'

Filing for FCC approval on 3G (I'm guessing they would have to do so), and those filings being made public, don't matter (aka: don't ruin any 'surprise'). Apple publicly stated they are working on 3G. It's coming. I'd guess Spring '08 in U.S. Fall for the rest of the world (mirroring the lag between the U.S. and other countries with gen 1 availability).

Arcus
Nov 5, 2007, 12:34 PM
Does 3G = Verizon??

pdjudd
Nov 5, 2007, 12:36 PM
Does 3G = Verizon??
No. 3G has nothing to do with Verizon at all. The iPhone will not be on verizon due to Apple's contract with At&T.

Project
Nov 5, 2007, 12:40 PM
There are 3g phones with great battery life that make the iphone look like a brick. W880 for instance and that's almost a year old. My new nokia 6500 classic is another.

The W880 is 2mm thinner than the iPhone and does not have anywhere near as big a screen, no wireless, much smaller battery etc.

3G/EDGE is not a zero sum game. A 3G radio alone does not add bulk and so on. The thing is that with a screen as big as the iPhones, Wifi, a proper web browser and the fact that it is an iPod which means people expect to play music/video on it for hours means that the iPhone needs a much larger battery than your bog standard 3G phone which is what the W880 is.

lazyrighteye
Nov 5, 2007, 12:52 PM

Ah, good to know.
As long as battery performance and footprint don't take a hit, I'm all for faster speeds.

lazyrighteye
Nov 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
Does 3G = Verizon??

Not necessarily.
I know an engineer at AT&T here in Denver that claims their 3G is up (not yet public) and smoking. They also claim a 3G iPhone will show up (in the U.S.) this spring.
I assume the 2 announcements will coincide.

taylorwilsdon
Nov 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
Not necessarily.
I know an engineer at AT&T here in Denver that claims their 3G is up (not yet public) and smoking. They also claim a 3G iPhone will show up (in the U.S.) this spring.

Verizon's EVDO is absolutely 3G and Rev A is lightyears ahead of the GSM carriers, who have extremely limited rollout of HSDPA in some small markets.

Here in seattle, we have 3g with cingular and it was great with my 8525. The problem was, anytime I wasn't directly around the 3g towers I would revert back to crappy edge, whereas verizon's coverage was more complete.

They suck though (verizon)

phillipjfry
Nov 5, 2007, 01:11 PM
With my contract expiring with verizon next may, I do plan on making a hop to the :apple:store for my iPhone. I would love to see what happens to the market between now and then (with all these rumors, there's no telling what the iphone might be)
Let the market grow, Apple, and make peace with the iPhone devs. They will help your product sell so much more

lazyrighteye
Nov 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
Verizon's EVDO is absolutely 3G and Rev A is lightyears ahead of the GSM carriers, who have extremely limited rollout of HSDPA in some small markets.

Here in seattle, we have 3g with cingular and it was great with my 8525. The problem was, anytime I wasn't directly around the 3g towers I would revert back to crappy edge, whereas verizon's coverage was more complete.

They suck though (verizon)

Agreed.
Of all of the U.S. carriers I've had (T-Mobile, VZW & AT&T), VZW were the sneakiest, most deceptive of the lot.
Granted, everyone can give you horror stories about any carrier. Fact is, the whole system, here, is so incredibly flawed.
That said, and so far, I have had as enjoyable an experience with AT&T as with any 'service provider.'

But now we're getting off track...

emotion
Nov 5, 2007, 01:15 PM

You can stay with your traditional-phone until then. Me, I'm getting an iPhone on launch then upgrading when the new one comes in a year.

At least O2 will have sorted their 3G coverage by then.

A win win for me. :)

bilbo--baggins
Nov 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
Filing for FCC approval on 3G (I'm guessing they would have to do so), and those filings being made public, don't matter (aka: don't ruin any 'surprise'). Apple publicly stated they are working on 3G. It's coming. I'd guess Spring '08 in U.S. Fall for the rest of the world (mirroring the lag between the U.S. and other countries with gen 1 availability).

Good point - I suppose the thing with the original iPhone was keeping the whole thing secret. As you say, everyone knows a 3G iPhone is coming - and presumably there won't even be any significant changes to the external appearance. No doubt any changes other than having 3G will be software. I guess people will still use FCC info to predict fairly accurately when a 3G iPhone will go on sale.

LeviG
Nov 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
Well unless I can use a payg sim in an iphone, I won't be getting one, simple fact for me is that I want a better contract, I buy a mobile phone for phone calls, not as a mobile internet hub. O2 have made the contracts so that they get more money from the consumer, bundle a load of data onto a phone which is slow by UK standards so anybody used to 3G will get sick of using it for web browsing after the first few months and will use clouds wifi (oh look o2 saves money), people start using the phone and realise they're out of minutes, upgrade to next package or pay for calls - more money for o2.

Plus I don't think the iphone is worth 280 (iirc), not on a 35+ contract - is the os and multi-touch really worth that much more (well more when you consider how old the rest of the phone tech is), in my opinion no, especially considering any additional apps are going to cost money (wait and see - they will). You can get lots of other phones which are just as capable, some just as nice looking as the iPhone but they can be had for free on 35+ contracts. Oh and don't forget the fact it can't be unlocked!

In my view this particular model is purely a money making exercise for apple and o2 in the UK, because no matter how poor value the iPhone really is theres going to be hundreds (or more) people who look at it and go 'oooohh thats pretty'

Yes the apple halo has worn off when viewing the iPhone and yes I do like apple products but I'm not stupid when it comes to spending money on something which you could say is a throw away purchase for most.

chicagostars
Nov 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
I'm glad to hear a few anecdotes from people who ACTUALLY OWN iPhones in regards to their connection speeds on EDGE vs. WiFi and whether they feel 3G would be in any way helpful to them. Do any other iPhone owners out there have an experience to share?

twoodcc
Nov 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
well the iPhone 2 will be out sooner or later. 2nd half of next year sounds about right. so i wouldn't doubt a 3G version then

emotion
Nov 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
A general comment. The iPhone threads seem to be populated by teenagers who still live at home with their parents. These high-end (by cost) phones aren't aimed at this market. That's not to say kids won't buy them but I see a lot of complaining from this kind of person.

Me, I'm in my 30s, have no kids and a job. I suspect I'm more the market Apple, at least at first, is aiming at. If people bear that in mind all the people decrying the failure of the first gen iPhone in the UK might actually consider it might be the success that O2 are banking on it being.

Now if the Google announcement (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7078921.stm) gives Apple the kick up the ass to open the thing up more to devs (which they appear to planning on doing btw., officially) then all will be sweet in my book.

d.f
Nov 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
i was one of the 'not until 3g' gang until last week. gave in and got a mate to bring an iPhone back from LA. 200 and no stupid contract.

i'm currently in a part of glasgow (visiting) with terrible GPRS and i'm still not wishing i had 3g. honestly decent GPRS / EDGE coverage is great on this thing. i also have to use a decent blackberry supplied by work, so i know about business needs.

lastly, the one gripe, albiet small is that the battery is ok, but just ok. i certainly would find it pretty lousy if it was fitted with 3g.

my two pence.

LeviG
Nov 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
Me, I'm in my 30s, have no kids and a job. I suspect I'm more the market Apple, at least at first, is aiming at. If people bear that in mind all the people decrying the failure of the first gen iPhone in the UK might actually consider it might be the success that O2 are banking on it being.

I'm in my late 20's so I would be the same target audience and look at my views above :D

See different views from the same age/market group range.

emotion
Nov 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
I'm in my late 20's so I would be the same target audience and look at my views above :D

See different views from the same age/market group range.

Ah yes but Apple's device is a data-centric one (yes even with EDGE the coverage for me is better than 3G), I consider it more a hint at the future of mobile computing. You clearly just need a trad mobile phone. There's a huge market filled with traditional phones. Go and get one of them.

Now, I'm not saying that the iPhone is a bargain and I'm not saying it has broad appeal but it _does_ have appeal and some of us consider the pricing, while not great, to be affordable and worth going for.

You're right though we all have our opinions.

garybUK
Nov 5, 2007, 02:37 PM
I love the people who say how rubbish 3G is when they have never used it, or never used it properly.

European providers now provide 3G speeds of between 4 - 7 mbps (Vodafone, Orange, O2, Three (Rolling out)) on their cell networks.

I Use a K850i on O2, N95 and USB Modem on Vodafone.

3G IS A KILLER DEAL HERE!!! Look at what Nokia are doing, all the networks are going nuts over their over-the-air music store because the infrastructure here can handle high speed downloads.

Granted 3G hasn't got the penetration as general GSM but that's being addressed.

BTW 3G in Europe runs on 2100mhz, 3G in the states runs on 1700mhz on T-Mobile and 1900mhz on AT&T 3G

Also if u think verizon / sprint are better than GSM just look at who makes your handsets.... oooh all those lovely feature filled Korean handsets because they are the only other people who use that standard :P

It also shows the fact they are only expecting to sell couple hundred thousand units because of the hype until they get the full featured ones next year :)

LeviG
Nov 5, 2007, 03:34 PM
Ah yes but Apple's device is a data-centric one (yes even with EDGE the coverage for me is better than 3G), I consider it more a hint at the future of mobile computing. You clearly just need a trad mobile phone. There's a huge market filled with traditional phones. Go and get one of them.

Now, I'm not saying that the iPhone is a bargain and I'm not saying it has broad appeal but it _does_ have appeal and some of us consider the pricing, while not great, to be affordable and worth going for.

You're right though we all have our opinions.

Actually I do have a need for data occasionally, I like the option to view files too but with current software on the iPhone its not exactly going to happen very easily.

But this is what gets me, its called an iPhone, yet apple market if for web browsing, music/video playing (and trust me the net on a small screen is not nice -been doing it for years on a p900 with a decent browser too) - if the phone side of things is so unimportant they might as well just reincarnated the Newton but with data access - but again the software is lacking.

Oh and where I live o2 is useless and edge is never going to happen let alone 3G from them, vodafone, orange and even t-mobile are already here with 3G. And I'm not exactly out in the sticks either.

Its just going to be the magpie crowd that buy this phone, not people who need a device that does more than look pretty - even the reviews by british shows (gadget show) are saying basically the same.

emotion
Nov 5, 2007, 04:42 PM
Oh and where I live o2 is useless and edge is never going to happen let alone 3G from them, vodafone, orange and even t-mobile are already here with 3G. And I'm not exactly out in the sticks either.

It's the back of beyond compared to where I'm from :)

...and even then I wouldn't get full 3G access on my train ride to work (Warrington to Mcr, look at the coverage maps - for any network). Now, that is not the same as me saying 3G isn't worth having in case that rant above is aimed at me. I want full HSDPA and HSUPA access on my mobile device please. Until then....

And as for internet on a small screen. Not used an Apple multitouch device yet have you? It's not bad for such a small screen.

Its just going to be the magpie crowd that buy this phone, not people who need a device that does more than look pretty

Just keep telling yourself that (this isn't a LG Prada y'know). Me I'll be using my tiny pocketable mobile internet device everywhere I need it.

paulwlee
Nov 8, 2007, 04:23 AM
I'm glad to hear a few anecdotes from people who ACTUALLY OWN iPhones in regards to their connection speeds on EDGE vs. WiFi and whether they feel 3G would be in any way helpful to them. Do any other iPhone owners out there have an experience to share?

I too was one of the "waiting for 3G" crowd. After upgrading to UMTS on my Treo 750 from my EDGE Treo 650, I just didn't want to go back to the slower speeds. I played with the iPhone at the store, liked it a LOT, it really seemed to fill all my needs extremely well. I still decided to wait.

But when I got to play with my buddy's iPhone out in the real world, I realized that using Safari on EDGE was still a much more usable and satisfying experience than using some other mobile browser on UMTS or HSDPA. For many websites I use frequently, it came down to a choice between a page downloading in a few seconds that you can't use due to bad formatting or non-working forms, and a page taking twice as long but 100% functional. No brainer here. A data plan that was only $20 vs. $40 on the Treo was really good too.
Got an iPhone the next day and Ebay'ed my Treo 750. :D

Google Maps, email and mostly-text webpages work very very smoothly on EDGE. With lots of pictures, it gets slow, but still quite usable. I find that EDGE speed varies a lot depending on where you are. Sometimes it's super fast (relatively speaking), sometimes pretty slow.

That said, 3G will be enough to make me upgrade.

paulwlee
Nov 8, 2007, 04:28 AM
Not necessarily.

AT&T 3G has been up for quite some time, although only in the bigger markets.

skeen
Nov 8, 2007, 09:34 PM
I have a BlackBerry under contract with O2. I am not due for an upgrade any time soon (in fact I upgraded to the latest BlackBerry model just a few months ago), but would like the iPhone. Does anyone know if I'll be able to do some kind of trade-in, or transfer the contract or something?

sirbobbyuk
Nov 13, 2007, 01:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacWorld.co.uk (http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=19584) points to to a Telegraph interview (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/11/03/ccprof203.xml) with O2's chief executive Matthew Key who provides some details on how O2 became Apple's iPhone partner in the UK. After meeting with Steve Jobs in Cupertino, Key had come to a decision:

According to FT.com (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/006f55aa-89b0-11dc-8dff-0000779fd2ac.html?nclick_check=1), Key expects "a couple of hundred thousand" iPhones to be sold in the first two months in the UK. FT.com also claims that the 3G version of the iPhone is due in the second half of next year, though the exact source is not cited. Regardless, Key appears confident that O2 would also get rights to the 3G iPhone when it arrives.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/05/iphone-uk-launch-and-3g-iphone-plans/)

I was in O2 store today and i did come close to signing up, but i backed out at the last minute. Maybe because of the price of the iphone itself and being tied into a 18 month contract.
And there was another interesting thing the demonstration models that were there were the 4gb version, which made me think are we getting the 8gb or are they they really the 4 hhmmm?

The other issue which which is kind of a bug bear why don't apple design a phone where the battery can be removed and replaced instead of having to send it off to them and wait 3 week for it to come back.

Apart from that a great phone and i would like one. I have the itouch and that great