PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7.5 & Quicktime 7.3 Released

Pages : [1] 2

matperk
Nov 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
iTunes 7.5 is out, along with a quicktime update.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5661/apple-itunes

Agurri
Nov 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
Just installed and working wonderfully... no new big improvement to see at the moment.

xUKHCx
Nov 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
Gotta Love FS sometimes.

New QT as well.

Cyclotrode
Nov 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up...I'll be updating when I get home later this evening.

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
CoverFlow is now dog-slow with many albums on my MB C2D 1GB GMA950

VforVelveta
Nov 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
Did they perchance fix the stoplight buttons so they no longer have the old Tiger style?

hanschien
Nov 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
A few new features I noticed:
- Inactive iTunes window is now a lighter shade in Leopard.
- Events support with iPhoto '08 and iPhone.
- iPhone preferences now include iPhone and iPod backups.

AliensAreFuzzy
Nov 5, 2007, 01:37 PM

Really? On my MBP CD 2GB it is INSANELY fast now. Album art loads nearly instantly and scrolls "like butter".

CmdrLaForge
Nov 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
Apple just released iTunes 7.5 and Quicktime 7.3. I am installing.

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
Really? On my MBP CD 2GB it is INSANELY fast now. Album art loads nearly instantly and scrolls "like butter".

I have 40GB of music, and a restart didn't work :(

zephead
Nov 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
iTunes 7.5 features the ability to activate iPhone wherever service is offered

I might be missing something here, but doesn't iTunes already do that?

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
I might be missing something here, but doesn't iTunes already do that?As in it can activate European phones...

zephead
Nov 5, 2007, 01:48 PM
As in it can activate European phones...

Ahhh... gotcha. :)

MacRumors
Nov 5, 2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Released via Software Update are new versions of iTunes (7.5) & Quicktime (7.3). Updates are as follows:

iTunes 7.5 - 41.3MB
iTunes 7.5 features the ability to activate iPhone wherever service is offered and support for Phase, a new interactive music game designed exclusively for iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, and iPod (fifth generation). This release also includes bug fixes to improve stability and performance.

Quicktime 7.3 - 51.8MB
QuickTime 7.3 addresses critical security issues and delivers:
- Support for iTunes 7.5
- Updated support for creating iPhone-compatible web content
- Updated JavaScript support in the QuickTime Web Plug-in
- Numerous bug fixes

This release is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users.

For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/05/itunes-7-5-and-quicktime-7-3-released/)

rdf8585
Nov 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
Who cares - we want 10.4.11 and Safari 3 final for Tiger.

lexus
Nov 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
Released via Software Update are new versions of iTunes (7.5) & Quicktime (7.3). Updates are as follows: <snip>
Any other new features in iTunes?

haiggy
Nov 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
Do jailbreak'd iPods work with this?

kjr39
Nov 5, 2007, 01:53 PM

Well, that didn't take long.

New Macbook Pros on Tuesday!!!!

madmaxmedia
Nov 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
I was hoping this would finally introduce Notes synchronization in Leopard...

DotComCTO
Nov 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
Does this break custom ringtones (via iToner) on the iPhone?

:confused:

--DotComCTO

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
Any other new features in iTunes?

Shinier blue buttons at bottom to match the dock-lights with bluriness...

Nightkrawler
Nov 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
improved look in leopard :)
(inactive window)

xUKHCx
Nov 5, 2007, 01:58 PM

Oh boy they are blurry aren't they.

improved look in leopard :)
(inactive window)

Embarrassed by your music selection ;)

chr1s60
Nov 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
Holding off on an upgrade until I hear about compatibility with iToner. Anyone know about this yet??

GSMiller
Nov 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
iTunes still crashes when I try to delete a song from my library! :mad:

This update was an incredible waste. :rolleyes:

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 02:02 PM
All I use iTunes for is music, and I control it mainly via QS...I wish there were less iPhone bloats and there was better start-up time...

amac4me
Nov 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
Just downloaded and installed ... all seems fine.

hollerz
Nov 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
Just to be on the safe side, can anyone confirm that this works with unlocked/jailbroken iPhones?

VaDor
Nov 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
All I use iTunes for is music, and I control it mainly via QS...I wish there were less iPhone bloats and there was better start-up time...

I subscribe it.. :D

brewno
after installing this update my numlock & capslock lights are on (but their functions are not).

:rolleyes: sigh

Nightkrawler
Nope, but i want a bit privacy :p (if you really want to know, its Above & Beyond (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=above+beyond&search=Search)/Trance :rolleyes:)

theheyes
Nov 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
I never thought I'd say this seriously but CoverFlow seems to run better on my MacBook with this update.

backsidetailsli
Nov 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
am i mistaken or is doe sthe update say there is a game for the newer ipods?

rushmere
Nov 5, 2007, 02:10 PM

Really? It's going to allow hundreds of thousand of people here in Europe to activate their new iPhones. That doesn't sound like "an incredible waste" to me.

Believe it or not, there is whole world outside of the USA. ;)

Endymion
Nov 5, 2007, 02:10 PM
After installing and restarting I've discovered all my Safari cookies were deleted. I'm having to go around to all my sites and manually log in.

megfilmworks
Nov 5, 2007, 02:12 PM
Who cares - we want 10.4.11 and Safari 3 final for Tiger.It's out, it's called Leopard.:o

Sky Blue
Nov 5, 2007, 02:13 PM
Anybody know if this fixes the encoding in iTunes on Leopard? It wouldn't stay at an exact bit rate before...

freediverdude
Nov 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
Ok, I don't see this yet.....so......safari seems snappier! :p

hqsbud
Nov 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
Holding off on an upgrade until I hear about compatibility with iToner. Anyone know about this yet??

I updated to iTunes 7.5 and QuickTime 7.3 and then synched my 1.1.1 iPhone which had an existing iToner-installed ringtone on it. After the synch, my ringtone still worked. I then ran iToner 1.0.4 and installed another ringtone, and it appeared on my iPhone and was selectable as a ringtone. So as far as I can tell, iToner is intact after this upgrade.

chr1s60
Nov 5, 2007, 02:16 PM
I updated to iTunes 7.5 and QuickTime 7.3 and then synched my 1.1.1 iPhone which had an existing iToner-installed ringtone on it. After the synch, my ringtone still worked. I then ran iToner 1.0.4 and installed another ringtone, and it appeared on my iPhone and was selectable as a ringtone. So as far as I can tell, iToner is intact after this upgrade.

Great! Am updating now.

ncsmith4
What exactly does this mean?

"iTunes 7.5 features the ability to activate iPhone wherever service is offered"

imwoblin
" Updated support for creating iPhone - compatible web content"
Interesting....

psychofreak

Good to know Apple isn't 100% against the community :)

imwoblin
Nov 5, 2007, 02:18 PM

I hope you're right... We will see when the new iPhone update hits the airwaves, although I'm not holding my breath..

Yankees 4 Life
Nov 5, 2007, 02:19 PM

"iTunes 7.5 features the ability to activate iPhone wherever service is offered"

This means that it works for people in other countries who are getting the iphone this week and subsequent weeks

Zolk
Nov 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
After installing and restarting I've discovered all my Safari cookies were deleted. I'm having to go around to all my sites and manually log in.

Bluetooth stopped working for me. :confused:

gorby
Nov 5, 2007, 02:24 PM
I just did 'check for updates...' on iTunes and it says 7.4.02 (or whatever) is the current version :confused:

SthrnCmfrtr
Nov 5, 2007, 02:25 PM
No ability to specify directories for TV Shows and Movies :(

Mazda 3
A few new features I noticed:
- Inactive iTunes window is now a lighter shade in Leopard.

Yeah,thats nice that iPod backup.I was hoping for Flash player
for the iPod this time,oh well maybe next time.

One thing I`ve noticed with my iPod is there`s a lot of people with unsecured Wi-Fi connections,scary thing to me.

Love Coverflow.

My new 20" 2.4 iMac has been impressive,the finest computer
I`ve ever owned. Count myself lucky with all the sad stories .

mrjonny2
if it doesnt show up just use the apple site

paulobrad
UK user here...not sure if there are regional variations but there is now a "Ringtones" option on the left that I didn't have before. However, can't select to show whether a song can become a ringtone in View > View Options.

Should be useful come Friday... :D:D

xUKHCx
Nov 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
UK user here...not sure if there are regional variations but there is now a "Ringtones" option on the left that I didn't have before. However, can't select to show whether a song can become a ringtone in View > View Options.

Should be useful come Friday... :D:D

FYI I had that ringtone thing before this update.

ibanana
Nov 5, 2007, 02:28 PM

Iphone UK germany release this friday

Eduardo1971

He, he, he.

I was thinking the same thing!

dalvin200

Woohoo... i asked for this :D

xUKHCx
Yeah,thats nice that iPod backup.I was hoping for Flash player
for the iPod this time,oh well maybe next time.

One thing I`ve noticed with my iPod is there`s a lot of people with unsecured Wi-Fi connections,scary thing to me.

Love Coverflow.

My new 20" 2.4 iMac has been impressive,the finest computer
I`ve ever owned. Count myself lucky with all the sad stories .

THe flash player for the iPod/iPhone will come via an iPod/iPhone update not via an iTunes update.

applefrenzy
Nov 5, 2007, 02:29 PM

iTunes 7.5 isn't the shoe that counts for iphone jailbreakers/unlockers/etc. it's what happens when iphone update 1.1.2 is released in a few days that will tell us where Apple is at.

brepublican
Nov 5, 2007, 02:29 PM

Precisely. I never made the jump to Safari 3 on my PB. But I've used it on a MB running Leopard and I want it. Just not the Beta.

dalvin200
Nov 5, 2007, 02:30 PM

does this also mean that if i have an imported US iphone, and then plug that into iTunes in the UK, that it will default to O2-UK activation?

notsofatjames
Nov 5, 2007, 02:35 PM
FYI I had that ringtone thing before this update.

Do you have an iPhone ? (imported?, or pre-release if theres something your not telling) I dont see a ringtones in mine before the update, and we'll se once its finished downloading if I'll have one.

Sky Blue
Nov 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
The iPhone tab in Preferences is now called 'synching' and looks like it supports iPods...

Chupa Chupa
Nov 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
does this also mean that if i have an imported US iphone, and then plug that into iTunes in the UK, that it will default to O2-UK activation?

The SIM card is going to dictate service. If you have an unlocked US phone w/ original SIM intact it's either going to activate to ATT or not at all (because it detects you are in a non ATT service area).

gkarris
Nov 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
Does the new software reset hacked iPhones and Touches?

xUKHCx
Nov 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
Do you have an iPhone ? (imported?, or pre-release if theres something your not telling) I dont see a ringtones in mine before the update, and we'll se once its finished downloading if I'll have one.

Nope, it appeared after I changed my iTunes store to the US and then went back to the UK store. It was annoying because i couldn't get rid of it but with this update the preference is there so i am a happy camper now.

crees!
Nov 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
iTunes 7.5 features the ability to activate iPhone wherever service is offered and support for Phase...

Speaking of "Phrase". When is Apple going to have a voice recognition update for iPhone? Contacts, map directions, web pages, ...

paddykev
It would be really handy if you purchased an American iphone from eBay, unlocked it and could just use the uk itunes to activate it and let it function 'normally' again on o2 not having to worry about the next update breaking the unlock feature but that's just wishful thinking I believe.

rdf8585
I usually verify/repair permissions just to be on the safe side, but usually nothing is wrong. After installing these 2 things, good thing I ran Onyx:

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s3 Macintosh HD
Determining correct file permissions.
Permissions differ on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Verify/repair finished permissions on disk disk0s3 Macintosh HD

I assume most run something similiar after updating, but it looks like these 2 make doing it especially wise.

Baron58
Nov 5, 2007, 02:42 PM
we want 10.4.11 and Safari 3 final for Tiger.
Who cares?

sigamy
Nov 5, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'm I the only one that finds it funny that iTunes is at a higher version number than QuickTime...being that QT was released many years before iTunes.

nagromme
Nov 5, 2007, 02:43 PM

In other words, they've brought back the shining-light effect on the bottom-bar toggles from iTunes past :)

http://www.stevestreza.com/blogimages/itunessucks/itunes_3.jpg

Dagless
Nov 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
Who cares?

People using Tiger still, you glowing example of humanity you?

rdf8585
Nov 5, 2007, 02:46 PM

Doesn't Tiger have the largest user base of any of the OS X's?

xUKHCx
In other words, they've brought back the shining-light effect on the bottom-bar toggles from iTunes past :)

http://www.stevestreza.com/blogimages/itunessucks/itunes_3.jpg

Look how horrible iTunes 3 now looks and Bryan Ferry :D

MattJessop
Ok, I don't see this yet.....so......safari seems snappier! :p

At the rate apple is going with making safari snappier, they might make the perfect browser in the next few months. It'll load pages before you even type in the URL. Now that's snappy. :p

chambers7
Does anyone think i can make it until February to update iTunes or my iPhone? I've unlocked my phone and I don't want to lock it until the actual SDK is released in February.
Who's in it with me?

moloukhya
Nov 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
Anybody know if this fixes the encoding in iTunes on Leopard? It wouldn't stay at an exact bit rate before...

Nope, iTunes still shows that same behavior. :rolleyes:

Sky Blue
Nov 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
Encoding is still broken in Leopard :(

Edit: Thanks, moloukhya :(

ntrigue
Nov 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
Just to be on the safe side, can anyone confirm that this works with unlocked/jailbroken iPhones?

It's the iphone upgrades that concern us.

chambers7
Nov 5, 2007, 02:50 PM
Off topic but,

It's genius of Steve Jobs not to release the SDK for iPhone quite yet. Right now, he's getting free security testing... He releases a software update and then later someone says, "I hacked my iPhone doing this..." and he knows it's a security issue. Genius.

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 02:51 PM
At the rate apple is going with making safari snappier, they might make the perfect browser in the next few months. It'll load pages before you even type in the URL. Now that's snappy. :p

Typing URLs, meh! Inquisitor ftw :)

liberty4all
Nov 5, 2007, 02:52 PM
One of the features of 10.5 should have been to install updates WITHOUT rebooting! :-(

nagromme
Nov 5, 2007, 02:54 PM
Look how horrible iTunes 3 now looks and Bryan Ferry :D

And don't forget iTunes 1 in OS 9 :)

http://guides.macrumors.com/images/c/c8/ITunes_1_OS9.jpg

imwoblin
Nov 5, 2007, 02:54 PM
Anyone notice a slight softness in Coverflow? Seems my albums now have the same kind of blurry look that the iTunes icon has.

billabong
Nov 5, 2007, 02:55 PM
What is this Phase game?

nagromme
Nov 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
One of the features of 10.5 should have been to install updates WITHOUT rebooting! :-(

Lots of updates can install without booting, same as always. But certain deeper-level changes require the things BEING changed to be shut down (they can't change to a new version/settings/whatever while running--the old version shuts down and the new one starts up). Which is called a reboot :p

obxbound
Nov 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
Anyone who had problems syncing outlook...is it resolved?

I am scared to death to update because last time I did itunes stopped syncing with outlook.

kevo0822
Nov 5, 2007, 02:59 PM

Yep... me too. Hopefully 10.5.1 will take care of that? (I'm assuming you have Leopard too...)

stainlessliquid
Nov 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
zzzz I expected something less boring for a .5 milestone.

creator2456
Nov 5, 2007, 03:03 PM
Typing URLs, meh! Inquisitor ftw :)

Inquisitor = Amazing

Also, DLing update now...can't wait to see what joy it brings!

TheSpaz
Nov 5, 2007, 03:05 PM
Inquisitor = Amazing

Also, DLing update now...can't wait to see what joy it brings!

How do I get Inquisitor to work in Leopard?

billabong
Nov 5, 2007, 03:06 PM
Anyone "Phase" what is it?

cloudnine
Nov 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
What exactly is this? I've never seen it in any previous version of iTunes... the plug next to the iPod name? Strange...

http://www.betterlookingthanyou.com/temp/plug.png

vvebsta
I just downloaded the update onto my Macbook and it told me to restart. After installing components it told me it needed to update the cache and its still hanging with a blue screen and the little swirly loading circle that you see in at startup. :mad:

FreeState
What exactly is this? I've never seen it in any previous version of iTunes... the plug next to the iPod name? Strange...

That indicates its charging and does not have a full battery. Or it's some plot against the Jewish Mafia!

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 03:08 PM
How do I get Inquisitor to work in Leopard?

The latest version works natively. PlugSuit was used for the old version...

Sky Blue

battery life indicator?

cal6n
Nope, but i want a bit privacy :p (if you really want to know, its Above & Beyond (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=above+beyond&search=Search)/Trance :rolleyes:)

A bit cheesy but I've heard worse... ;)

tethead
Nov 5, 2007, 03:10 PM

now for laughs, i hope someone has a SoundJam screenshot to counter this... :eek: :cool: :apple:

cloudnine
Nov 5, 2007, 03:12 PM
battery life indicator?

I figured as much... :p Just seems strange to have the indicator there, especially if it's just showing the plug and not a specific "battery fill" level...

Dunno, odd to me :rolleyes:

FreeState
Nov 5, 2007, 03:12 PM
A bit cheesy but I've heard worse... ;)

Im hoping the update fixes the problem Im having. On the US store it lists some "artist" named Brittany Spears as having the top selling album and song. That has to be a major flaw... :D

TheSpecialist
Nov 5, 2007, 03:13 PM
Great, afther the install it changed the language from Dutch to English, and I can't set it back even if I put the setting on Dutch. It stays English. Thank you Apple!

tk421
Nov 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
zzzz I expected something less boring for a .5 milestone.

Ditto. What happened to the better management of duplicates that we heard about a few days ago? Anyone see this in the update?

rocklobzter31
Nov 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
The Shuffle and Repeat buttons at the bottom are crazy BRIGHT blue

vvebsta
Nov 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
20 minutes later and the "cache update" is still hanging... should i restart? i am worried about messing something up

benpca
Nov 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
Can anyone comment on if this works with unlocked or jailbroken iPhones?

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
Still no use in full screen CF - they should add the flip-round-like-iPhone CF...

Orng
Nov 5, 2007, 03:18 PM

Who cares?

Don't forget those of us sporting an 800 MHz G4 or Earlier. My quicksilver isn't invited to the Leopard Happy Fun Club

FJ218700
Nov 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
Don't forget those of us sporting an 800 MHz G4 or Earlier. My quicksilver isn't invited to the Leopard Happy Fun Club

off topic, but my 500 MHz TiBook runs Leopard fine. Install via FW or from cloning

ibwb
Nov 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
I usually verify/repair permissions just to be on the safe side, but usually nothing is wrong. After installing these 2 things, good thing I ran Onyx:

Started verify/repair permissions on disk disk0s3 Macintosh HD
Determining correct file permissions.
Permissions differ on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities, should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are -rwxrwxr-x
Owner and group corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
Permissions corrected on ./Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/MacOS/InternetUtilities
The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Verify/repair finished permissions on disk disk0s3 Macintosh HD

I assume most run something similiar after updating, but it looks like these 2 make doing it especially wise.

As a Unix guy, I should tell you that these have almost no meaning. The addition of an execute bit on a file deep within a package could never possibly affect anything. In fact, if InternetUtilities is a directory the execute bit should be set.

The user/group message could in theory mean something more but I doubt it.

Nov 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
Installed both iTunes and QT without a hassle; everything fine so far..! Just repair permissions that takes a bit longer than with Tiger...:o

reubs
Nov 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
What is Phase? What is iPod backup?

Finally, is this what you had in mind:

http://www.atpm.com/6.03/images/soundjam2.gif

Orng
Nov 5, 2007, 03:31 PM
off topic, but my 500 MHz TiBook runs Leopard fine. Install via FW or from cloning

Yeah but for us non-H@x0r types, this is getting into dicey territory!

In truth, i haven't had the time to figure out if this is viable for me, at the moment it seems like I need to clone a drive from a machine that CAN run Leopard, and that is a bit of an ish... Gotta sell the Quicksilver to get a machine that can run Leopard. So it's hardly worth trying to work it out. And all the mac lovers I know well enough to clone their hard drives are still in the "Wannabe" stage of switcherhood.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion about iTunes... sorry!

Mr Ikasu
Nov 5, 2007, 03:31 PM
20 minutes later and the "cache update" is still hanging... should i restart? i am worried about messing something up

I had the same thing. Hung for more than 20 mins so I just switched it off (this is an iMac G5 with Leopard btw). Booted it up again and all seemed fine. 7.5 is installed.

[edit] Hang on, my iPod classic has been completely wiped... coincidence or not?

Merlyn3D
Nov 5, 2007, 03:36 PM

Really? We all thought the only thing outside of the US was Hawaii:D

LeviG
Is it me or is it getting even more bloated, its 61.27megs for windows!

Half the stuff I don't even use - come on apple give us itunes which can have only the stuff needed installed it can't be that difficult can it :rolleyes:

FJ218700
Yeah but for us non-H@x0r types, this is getting into dicey territory!

see this guide (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371302&highlight=installing+leopard) for more info if you're curious. Seems more daunting than it really is.

Harpy007
Nov 5, 2007, 03:39 PM
Im hoping the update fixes the problem Im having. On the US store it lists some "artist" named Brittany Spears as having the top selling album and song. That has to be a major flaw... :D

"LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!" :D

deeforce
Anyone know if this will render my iPod mini obsolete like 7.4 did? (I had to go back and find an older version to reinstall [7.2] to be able to bring it back to life)

Wingdings
"This iPhone cannot be used because the required software is not installed. Run the iTunes installer to remove iTunes, then install the 64-bit version of iTunes."

Um... So there's a 64-bit version now? Got this message under Windows Vista Ultimate x64.

morespce54
Nov 5, 2007, 03:45 PM

Geee, I saw that when i first opened iTunes in 10.5. :eek:
I was hopping they would fix it but...:confused:
well, maybe 7.5.1...

killmoms
Nov 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
Encoding is still broken in Leopard :(

Edit: Thanks, moloukhya :(

How the hell is it broken? It's actually creating VBR files now. Before it was making ABR files. They actually FIXED a long-incorrect behavior. If you're gonna make ABR files, call it ABR, not VBR. VBR by definition does NOT hit one consistent bitrate from song to song.

Mac-Addict
Nov 5, 2007, 03:47 PM

We (UK) have that same problem but a bit different, Britney Spears is top of the albums but 8th on the top songs.. something has to be done about this now.

TheSpaz
Nov 5, 2007, 03:51 PM
Anyone try this with an iPod touch yet?

morespce54
Nov 5, 2007, 03:51 PM

What does that mean exactly (iPod backup)? :confused:
Could it finally be *it*? :rolleyes::)

hanschien
Nov 5, 2007, 03:57 PM
What does that mean exactly (iPod backup)? :confused:
Could it finally be *it*? :rolleyes::)

I'm not sure yet, as I only have my iPhone with me at work.

Diatribe
Nov 5, 2007, 04:02 PM
How friggin' hard is it to include an undo function? :mad:

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 04:05 PM

How friggin hard is it to have a 'simple mode' with no iPod, iPhone, or video support for pure speed of opening?

timothyjay2004
Nov 5, 2007, 04:08 PM

I remembered the day iTunes 1.0 launched. It was a major improvement to the Audio CD player thing that OS 8/9 had originally come with. iTunes really has made huge headway with each x.0 release. I still have 1,2,3,4,5, and 6 on cds somewhere, just for fun.

FreeState
Nov 5, 2007, 04:09 PM
Are these localized strings new?

"4320.069" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music on your iPhone? You will need to manually eject your iPhone before it can be disconnected safely.";

"4320.073" = "Enabling the iPhone for disk use requires manually ejecting the iPhone before each disconnect, even when automatically syncing music.";

"4320.075" = "The software required for communicating with the iPhone is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the iPhone’s software.";

"4320.082" = "The iPhone “^1” contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";

"4320.084" = " Would you like iTunes to choose a selection of songs to sync to this iPhone?";

timothyjay2004
Nov 5, 2007, 04:09 PM
Can anyone comment on if this works with unlocked or jailbroken iPhones?

iTunes software updates have nothing to do with a jailbroken iPod interfacing with iTunes. It'll be the firmware updates for each that will possibly cause problems.

timothyjay2004
Nov 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
Anyone know if this will render my iPod mini obsolete like 7.4 did? (I had to go back and find an older version to reinstall [7.2] to be able to bring it back to life)

My sister has the original iPod mini, in pink. She has never had a problem with any of the iTunes 7.x releases. Hers has always synced and worked fine.

timothyjay2004
Nov 5, 2007, 04:13 PM

They kind of do now, it's called TimeMachine.

CLuv
Nov 5, 2007, 04:14 PM
Quicker to Quit in Leopard. I had to choose Quit iTunes twice in order for it to quit. Snappier!

Jocko
Nov 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
zzzz I expected something less boring for a .5 milestone.Since when is .5 more or less significant than any other point release? A point release is a point release. That's fairly standard release management practice. The only version that would inherently imply a more significant release would be to increment the 7 to an 8. Sorry. I do agree it would have been more fun to get a bunch of other cool new features in 7.5.

Fuchal
Nov 5, 2007, 04:17 PM
Encoding in Leopard is not broken. It is 100% correct.

Teddy's
Nov 5, 2007, 04:26 PM

G5 PowerBooks next tuesday!!! :eek:

cbrain
Nov 5, 2007, 04:27 PM
Yeah! It has Leopard style buttons and now goes white when inactive!

Still no Time Machine support though... :(

LaMerVipere
Nov 5, 2007, 04:29 PM
Just installed Leopard and all the updates and everything is running wonderfully.

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 04:29 PM
They kind of do now, it's called TimeMachine.

Backing up hourly is no replacement by any means for undoing one accidental rename etc.

vandlism
Nov 5, 2007, 04:32 PM
Encoding in Leopard is not broken. It is 100% correct.

Well I just ripped an 11 track cd at 256 with iTunes 7.5 in Leopard. The actual bit rates of the songs vary from 252 to 260.

Tom B.
Nov 5, 2007, 04:32 PM
My sister has the original iPod mini, in pink. She has never had a problem with any of the iTunes 7.x releases. Hers has always synced and worked fine.

Yeah, every iPod will work with whatever the latest version of iTunes is at the time. My dad still uses his 1st Generation iPod and iPod mini with 7.4

Pants Dragon
Nov 5, 2007, 04:39 PM
I live in Canada, and I have the ringtones option in the sidebar now too... I hope that means the iPhone may be coming up here soon.

CANEHDN
Nov 5, 2007, 04:40 PM
Well this didn't fix the 64-bit errors on Vista. Oh well.

Addy1975
Nov 5, 2007, 04:45 PM
Anyone try this with an iPod touch yet?

Yes - just installed 7.5 and no problems with my JailBroken iPod Touch, in fact i've just noticed it has added a Calendars sync option that wasn't there before(on the info tab)

I still can't add / amend calendar entries on the iPod touch - that will be on the next firmware update...

riversky
Nov 5, 2007, 04:46 PM

My understanding is the Safari 3.0 Final (at least on the Mac side) is a Leopard only feature. Features like the widget maker etc...are only Leopard. So I would say that Tiger users are going to be stuck in beta for ever.....

GSMiller
Nov 5, 2007, 04:51 PM
Really? It's going to allow hundreds of thousand of people here in Europe to activate their new iPhones. That doesn't sound like "an incredible waste" to me.

Well it seems that Apple should fix what is broken before worrying about adding new features.

Stridder44
Nov 5, 2007, 05:00 PM

Yes, because rebooting is such a chore. I can't tell you the pain I have to live through everyday from clicking that "restart" button after stuff installs.

kinchee87
Nov 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
Ahhh should have checked for this before doing the updates but playing videos minimised to the dock via Quicktime does not show the video playing, even though the sound is still going. The video is only a static picture. Is there a setting I've missed in Quick Time

Diatribe
Nov 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
How friggin hard is it to have a 'simple mode' with no iPod, iPhone, or video support for pure speed of opening?

I heard it's a lot faster under Leopard. Dunno if that's true though.

Backing up hourly is no replacement by any means for undoing one accidental rename etc.

Exactly.

Jason Klepper
Nov 5, 2007, 05:07 PM
Quicktime 7.3 has appeared to stretch all my Handbrake conversions (AppleTV Preset) and squashes them. VLC plays the files with correct aspect ratios, but this new version of Quicktime no longer does...:(

chrisgeleven
Nov 5, 2007, 05:14 PM
Well I just ripped an 11 track cd at 256 with iTunes 7.5 in Leopard. The actual bit rates of the songs vary from 252 to 260.

That is by design. All AAC files encoded by iTunes are ABR, which gives it the ability to use a slightly bigger bitrate for a frame if necessary. iTunes until recently only showed your target bitrate (which is wrong), not the actual bitrate (which is the correct way to show it).

Also if you select the VBR option, the bitrate differences of course will be larger.

twoodcc
Nov 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
well, could this update mean some hardware is gonna be released tomorrow?

liberty4all
Nov 5, 2007, 05:17 PM
10.5 runs fine on a G4 dual-450 (w/easy hack), but could use a better video card...

hexonxonx
Nov 5, 2007, 05:23 PM

Do they still sell whiteout? Try that on the screen.

Compile 'em all
Nov 5, 2007, 05:32 PM

"4320.069" = "Are you sure you want to manually manage music on your iPhone? You will need to manually eject your iPhone before it can be disconnected safely.";

"4320.073" = "Enabling the iPhone for disk use requires manually ejecting the iPhone before each disconnect, even when automatically syncing music.";

"4320.075" = "The software required for communicating with the iPhone is not installed correctly. Please reinstall iTunes to install the iPhone’s software.";

"4320.082" = "The iPhone “^1” contains new voice memos. Would you like to move these voice memos to your iTunes library?";

"4320.084" = " Would you like iTunes to choose a selection of songs to sync to this iPhone?";

I can't believe no one has quoted your post yet. This is HUGE. Voice memos and disk mode :cool:

FreeState
Nov 5, 2007, 05:35 PM
New with iTunes - manually manage your music on your iPhone!

(I think 1.1.2 will enable this but the documentation is in iTunes 7.5)

From the help file:

FreeState
Nov 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
I can't believe no one has quoted your post yet. This is HUGE. Voice memos and disk mode :cool:

See the above help file :) Looks like its coming :) YEAH!!!

ntrigue
Nov 5, 2007, 05:36 PM

Tremendous! Here we come 1.2.0!

dvkid
Nov 5, 2007, 05:39 PM

Could be a firmware update tomorrow or Wednesday. Just in time for my iPhone to arrive.

richard.mac
Nov 5, 2007, 05:53 PM
ive got a couple of questions...

since iTunes has its own .rsrc file does this mean that Tiger users get the Leopard iTunes UI with the brighter traffic lights and a lighter inactive window?

and when is iTunes going to support Time Machine? iPhoto does this beautifully! what does Apple suppose we do if a song is lost. Hunt it down in the iTunes music folder... what if you can only remember the title and not the artist in a 40GB library? or what if the song is part of a compilation along with 50 other compilation albums youve got. finding the song would be impossible! Time machine support for iTunes would be a welcomed feature.

DataChris
Just opened software update to download the iTunes/Quicktime updates and noticed the iMac 1.2 update is GONE. Does this mean apple has pulled it (due to it NOT fixing the iMac crashing problems??

Is the 1.3 gone in Leopard??

FreeState
Could be a firmware update tomorrow or Wednesday. Just in time for my iPhone to arrive.

Im guessing the update can come anytime - most likely on Thursday or Friday - but it could even come later if the phones sold in France come with localized software already installed on them (unlikely IMO).

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 05:54 PM
Just opened software update to download the iTunes/Quicktime updates and noticed the iMac 1.2 update is GONE. Does this mean apple has pulled it (due to it NOT fixing the iMac crashing problems??
Yep, hopefully a full fix will be along soon...

yetanotherdave
Nov 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
No problems here with a jailbroken ipod touch and 10.5. Although the next time machine backup took about 10 minutes just preparing, and an age to backup, and finish the backup. The next backup was back to normal speed.

obilix
Nov 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
has anybody noticed this with?
Go into Preferences->Playback and move the Crossfade Play back handle.
Do you get ghosting like this? It doesn't happen in Sound Enhancer nor Smart Shuffle...

GenesisST
Nov 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
I have 40GB of music, and a restart didn't work :(

I have 75 GB of music with an iMac 17" CD (1.83) and scrolls "like butta" too.

richard.mac
Nov 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
Do you get ghosting like this? It doesn't happen in Sound Enhancer nor Smart Shuffle...

yup i get ghosting in Leopard... weird
i also get a little ghosting in sound enhancer on the lower side of the scale.

Templex
Nov 5, 2007, 06:15 PM

Yeah, that's happening to me too...

While on the topic of graphical glitches, does this happen to anybody else?
http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1884/picture1cz4.png

cloudnine
Nov 5, 2007, 06:21 PM

Ditto that.

richard.mac
Nov 5, 2007, 06:23 PM

this doesnt happen on mine... are you using Tiger by any chance? referring back to a question of mine a few posts ago querying if Tiger users get the Leopard iTunes UI.

Rocketman
Nov 5, 2007, 06:24 PM

I don't believe it. :)

Rocketman

Templex
Nov 5, 2007, 06:25 PM
this doesnt happen on mine... are you using Tiger by any chance? referring back to a question of mine a few posts ago querying if Tiger users get the Leopard iTunes UI.

No, on Leopard. This happens with a few other Carbon apps, too.

Spinnetti
iTunes update 7.5 installed fine, but when I launched it, it locked up. It produced a menu bar, but nothing else, and didn't launch into its assigned spaces position. I tried rebooting, but it still hung, so I force quit itunes and re-ran it (it worked fine from there)... No biggie but a bit of a surprise since my Leopard upgrade was flawless (best ever OS install on top of existing).

yetanotherdave

Happens to me running Leopard.

backsidetailsli
Nov 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
What is Phase? What is iPod backup?

anyone?

ATimson
Nov 5, 2007, 06:30 PM
Is it me or is it getting even more bloated, its 61.27megs for windows!

Half the stuff I don't even use - come on apple give us itunes which can have only the stuff needed installed it can't be that difficult can it :rolleyes:
Actually, it can; iTunes is dependent on QuickTime for all of its playback capabilities.

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
Thankfully I use XSlimmer to get rid of some of the bulk on this horrendously huge music(/video/syncing/game buying) app...

obilix
Nov 5, 2007, 06:33 PM
Happens to me running Leopard.

Interesting...it isn't happening for me and i'm leopard as well.
I'm on a MBP SR 15".

xtbfx
Nov 5, 2007, 06:44 PM
It also shows that your iPod is charging (haven't seen this before).
PLUS it looks like the "freeze" time on the 160GB Classic has been cut to about 5-10 seconds, which is a little more manageable.

BulkHedd
Nov 5, 2007, 06:47 PM
After the upgrade every time I dock my iPhone I get a message saying that iTunes cannot sync information with the iPhone because syncing has been disabled. It asks me if I want to enable sycning and I click YES. Then it pops up a warning box that says Syncing cannot be enabled on this computer. My choices are Override and OK. No matter which one I click it goes ahead and syncs.

This never happened before.

I'm running Leopard on a 2Ghz C2D MacBook.

Marilyn
Nov 5, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Installed without a hitch here. (I crossed my fingers since it doesn't always go that smooth..at least not for me!)

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 06:48 PM
At least its not as bad as the blurry CF scrollbar (MB C2D 2.16 1GB GMA950)

http://lime.quickshareit.com/share/picture183d90.png

For such a seemingly small update, Apple should not be releasing such a widely-used app with a problem like this...

elcid
Nov 5, 2007, 06:52 PM
*yawn*

esco
Nov 5, 2007, 06:54 PM
anyone else having a problem making a smart playlist for videos? I do this for syncing tv shows to my iPhone (worked fine with itunes 7.4) but with the new iTunes it doesn't show any tv shows when I select the options:

Match the Following Rule:
Video Kind - is - TV Show
Limit to: 10 items selected by least recently added
Match only checked items
live updating

even when just specifying tv shows without doing the last 3 options, i still don't get any items on my playlist. When i then right click the playlist to edit it, the "match rule" field is just a gray rectangle (can't see the "video kind - is - tv show)

Tom B.
Nov 5, 2007, 06:56 PM
I just found some of the rumoured "better management of duplicate video and song entries". If you attempts to drag any songs into a playlist that already has those songs, you get this:

http://aycu23.webshots.com/image/34062/2005035767665562275_rs.jpg

iJawn108
Nov 5, 2007, 07:00 PM
really?

on my coreduo MB its quicker then ever before

LSK6453
Nov 5, 2007, 07:02 PM
It also shows that your iPod is charging (haven't seen this before).
PLUS it looks like the "freeze" time on the 160GB Classic has been cut to about 5-10 seconds, which is a little more manageable.

mine does not show the charging icon...

iJawn108
Nov 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
At least its not as bad as the blurry CF scrollbar (MB C2D 2.16 1GB GMA950)

http://lime.quickshareit.com/share/picture183d90.png

For such a seemingly small update, Apple should not be releasing such a widely-used app with a problem like this...MB Coreduo and not having that issue either.

Jimmieboy
Nov 5, 2007, 07:04 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this. Ther is a Ringtones tab in the library section now. Maybe that has been there for US users but not for me in Australia!

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 07:06 PM
MB Coreduo and not having that issue either.

Lucky you, this update isn't so fantastic for me...

BulkHedd
Nov 5, 2007, 07:06 PM
This is not good. I have also lost my Spotlight on the menu bar. Command-space doesn't bring it up either. How do I get it back????

The syncing problem is annoying because it takes around 15-20 seconds of nothing happening before I get the pop-up window.

iJawn108
Nov 5, 2007, 07:10 PM
Lucky you, this update isn't so fantastic for me...

are you running it on leopard?

ive heard it slows down apps like logic so maybe it has somehting to do with how it manages video

psychofreak
Nov 5, 2007, 07:11 PM
are you running it on leopard?

ive heard it slows down apps like logic so maybe it has somehting to do with how it manages video

Yes I am, I didn't notice your sig...

MrCrowbar
Nov 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
Yay, they fixed the look to make it look like a Leopard app.

Errr... hast it always used that much RAM? 120 MB‽ Seriously?
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/7997/picture3ae2.png

BulkHedd
Nov 5, 2007, 07:36 PM
This is not good. I have also lost my Spotlight on the menu bar. Command-space doesn't bring it up either. How do I get it back????

The syncing problem is annoying because it takes around 15-20 seconds of nothing happening before I get the pop-up window.

Apparently the problem is with my sync server. I tried to go into .Mac syncing in system prefs and nothing happened. When I launched iSync I get an error saying it timed out waiting for the sync server.

daneoni
Nov 5, 2007, 08:11 PM
Installed on my Leopard partition and yeah CoverFlow definitely 'flows' more now....still not perfect but much better

budward
Nov 5, 2007, 08:12 PM
I have dual displays an apple 30" and a Dell 24" this update has made my resolution horrible and I cannot get it back! Totally F'd everything up!

anyone know how to uninstall these updates!!!!!

budward
Nov 5, 2007, 08:22 PM
Okay so I back up 200GB worth of stuff to get one lost file, Yeah!! But when I do a system update and go back to my last saved backup in Time Machine because the update is trash It does nothing!!!

Laughable, and to think that I am an apple fan extreme.

I don't even want to tell you guys the leopard server issues.. remind me of another company way back in the 90's that begins with an M.

heh.. now working on uninstalling the last quick time update that killed me.

FreeState
Nov 5, 2007, 08:35 PM
Okay so I back up 200GB worth of stuff to get one lost file, Yeah!! But when I do a system update and go back to my last saved backup in Time Machine because the update is trash It does nothing!!!

Laughable, and to think that I am an apple fan extreme.

I don't even want to tell you guys the leopard server issues.. remind me of another company way back in the 90's that begins with an M.

heh.. now working on uninstalling the last quick time update that killed me.

Sounds like your QuickTime install is having problems - not iTunes. The problem is you need to restore your system with your Leopard install CD and Time Machine. The changes made were made to the system, its not as simple as changing the files back.

Also just as a side not I have experienced none of the resolution problems you listed and Im using a Dell monitor and my MacBook Pro.

Data
Nov 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
I agree with all people here that would like itunes be about tunes again , and not videos photoos , it's so damn slow in starting up now i can't believe it, hopefully they'll chance that at some point and separate the music from the rest, i just use itunes for music nothing else and it is getting less end less fun to use it. Or if they would just make it fast again i'll be happy to of course ;-) .

compuguy1088
Nov 5, 2007, 08:39 PM

What your Quicksilver needs to join the Leopard Happy Fun Club is a little thing called a hack :D
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371302

<MEGA SNIP>

I particularly like this line:

iPhone disk use anyone? :D

MacAficionado
Nov 5, 2007, 08:52 PM

Your Library Database must be corrupted. Why don't you re create your library? All should be fine.

creator2456
Nov 5, 2007, 08:59 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/creator2456/iTunesiPod.jpg

I wanted to start my iPod fresh and did a restore from within iTunes...now my iPod shows up as a flash drive on the desktop and is not showing up in iTunes. :(

*edit*

Just plugged it in for the 10th time and it's working...odd.

dppolk
Nov 5, 2007, 09:00 PM
anyone?

Phase uses an analysis of your ipod songs to make a little rhythm game. iTunes had to be updated to support the analysis of the songs. I assume the game will be out tomorrow or next tuesday...

Invasion
Nov 5, 2007, 09:15 PM
AAC rips in VBR in the windows one now too :rolleyes:

xtbfx
Nov 5, 2007, 09:20 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a45/creator2456/iTunesiPod.jpg

Wow, my friend's iPod is also "The Black Knight."

EagerDragon
Nov 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
If this is available now, maybe the new iPhone update comes this week to a new iBrick near you.

I can't believe that people are still hacking the iPhones. I bet you get notes sync on the new release.

phuong
Nov 5, 2007, 09:26 PM
updated them both on my mbp.
the restarting took half an hour without finishing.
i have to force shutdown the computer.
it runs fine after that though.
but im still not sure what's going on.

EagerDragon
Nov 5, 2007, 09:27 PM

Weird, I have a PB 1.67 and coverflow is fine.

X38
Nov 5, 2007, 09:31 PM
Be careful with this one. I got the blue screen for about 5 minutes after clicking the restart now button when the upgrade was supposedly complete. In fact, it restarted the install process after it had already started the shut down process; very weird. I gave up and was just reaching for the power button when it finally started to behave. This is the first Apple software upgrade I've ever had a problem with. (BTW, I had not issues with installing the 10.5 upgrade on my PPC iMac.)

boss1
Nov 5, 2007, 10:00 PM

I can't believe MacRumors hasn't put this on page1, page2, or in the iPhone blog yet.

If the strings do exist of course, I can't say they do for fact because I haven't seen them other then in a post.

Disk mode? Voice Memos? hmmm

EagerDragon
Nov 5, 2007, 10:00 PM
I hope you're right... We will see when the new iPhone update hits the airwaves, although I'm not holding my breath..

Already reported the iPhone update will close the current holes and break itoner

EagerDragon
Nov 5, 2007, 10:02 PM
Bluetooth stopped working for me. :confused:

Mine is working fine and I have all my cookies, dont think it is related. What you do to your system?

EagerDragon
Nov 5, 2007, 10:04 PM
iTunes 7.5 isn't the shoe that counts for iphone jailbreakers/unlockers/etc. it's what happens when iphone update 1.1.2 is released in a few days that will tell us where Apple is at.

More than likely in the same spot as with 1.1.1 which did some bricking. My brick wall is growing.

EagerDragon
Nov 5, 2007, 10:08 PM

So everyone did not update yet? LOL

websyndicate
Nov 5, 2007, 10:13 PM
WOW cover flow if literally faster by far it REALLY REALLY FAST. That should make Derek Zoolander REALLY REALLY HAPPY. PIMP

akakillroy
Nov 5, 2007, 10:18 PM
Well I am dead in the water. After the update (all seemed to go fine) I restarted ,and now iTunes crashes on startup as well as iCal and Address book, haven't tested any other out, Safari and email seem to work. Anyone else having this issue?

Mac Pro, Leopard, iLife 08

OrangeCuse44
Nov 5, 2007, 10:23 PM
Hmmm mine updated without a problem. I did lose my cookies in Safari tho. Running Leopard.

websyndicate
Nov 5, 2007, 10:25 PM
Well I am dead in the water. After the update (all seemed to go fine) I restarted ,and now iTunes crashes on startup as well as iCal and Address book, haven't tested any other out, Safari and email seem to work. Anyone else having this issue?

Mac Pro, Leopard, iLife 08

Repair Disk Permission when volume is mounted or boot to disk and repair disk permission from there. Boot to Leopard disk by holding the Option Button and choose the DVD when it comes up

akakillroy
Nov 5, 2007, 10:36 PM
Repair Disk Permission when volume is mounted or boot to disk and repair disk permission from there. Boot to Leopard disk by holding the Option Button and choose the DVD when it comes up

Did that, I get this but I don't think it is related:
Repairing permissions for “Boot Volume”
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

reubs
Nov 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
I only updated iTunes, and I'm not seeing many changes at all. I don't even have the icon next to my iPod in the "device" column. I don't think I'll mess w/ Quicktime since so many folks are having problems with it.

BTW, what is "iPod backup"?

akakillroy
Nov 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
Did that, I get this but I don't think it is related:
Repairing permissions for “Boot Volume”
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

Uh Oh:

Verifying volume “Boot Volume”

Performing live verification.
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Incorrect number of Extended Attributes
(It should be 4078 instead of 4079)
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Boot Volume needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

powerbook911
Nov 6, 2007, 12:37 AM
They said there would be better management for duplicate files. I thought this might mean better at keeping a lossless or 256 AAC alongside a 128 AAC, for devices.

I guess this didn't happen though?

Bubbasteve
Nov 6, 2007, 12:40 AM
So it seems that "Phase" is a Guitar Hero - esque type of game...I thought we got the game for free but I guess it's $4.99

weckart
Nov 6, 2007, 01:51 AM
I'm at work and on a Windows box. The download page for Quicktime no longer gives an option for selecting the Mac or Windows version but 'cleverly' senses that you must only want the version for the machine you are working on. Lame. Lame. Lame.

Does anyone have a direct link to the good version to download? I tried editing the URL for the Win download but just got errors.

[edit] Never mind. Found it. https://swdlp.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SoftwareDownloadApp.woa/wa/getProductData%3flocalang=en_us%26grp_code=qtimemac%26returnURL=/quicktime/download

realmcenter
Nov 6, 2007, 01:54 AM
I just updated. Seems much the same as before and iTunes itself works fine. I like the true VBR mode for importing CDs.

Yil2201
Nov 6, 2007, 02:01 AM
Hi.
I don't have that battery icon on iTunes with my iPod touch.
Is it specific for 3G nanos ?

ncsmith4
Nov 6, 2007, 02:29 AM
Mine is working fine and I have all my cookies, dont think it is related. What you do to your system?

My bluetooth is also not working...

Didnt do anything but the iTunes update to 7.5 and the Quicktime one...

skwoytek
Nov 6, 2007, 03:13 AM
I can't believe MacRumors hasn't put this on page1, page2, or in the iPhone blog yet.

If the strings do exist of course, I can't say they do for fact because I haven't seen them other then in a post.

Disk mode? Voice Memos? hmmm

Also Games and NikePlus? Hmmmm.

Dalriada
Nov 6, 2007, 04:31 AM
FreeState, congrats you made Engadget headlines (http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/05/new-itunes-hints-at-iphone-disk-use-and-voice-memos) :p

:apple:Dal

mirez
Nov 6, 2007, 05:30 AM
hi, i updated both together with garageband update on my macbook+leo, and i cannot boot up system after reboot - i'm getting only the blue screen (in graphic mode) and cursor.

cpu seems to be under load, or the vent is just spinning. i let it for 40 mins, but without any change also after many restarts.

i tried safe mode, reset, nothing helps...

do you have anybody similar problem, or any idea? :(

the.snitch
Nov 6, 2007, 05:50 AM
Updated, everything went fine here. Jailbreaked/unlocked 1.1.1 iPhone still syncing perfectly.

They have slightly improved the quicktime UI, it's a shame it still uses the brushed metal, but they have removed the "Walls" around the video. If you ask me, they should just copy VLC, it works much better anyway with the separate controller module, and the expandable playlist that you can just drop a folder into.

Snooped around in the english strings file too, and noticed the game, voicenotes, and nike+ strings too.

typos also stick out like a sore thumb to me. Noticed:

"4320.341" = "iTunes could not back up the iPhone “^FILENAME” because the backup was canceled.";

"4320.225" = "Canceling backup…";

Should be cancelled

Strange how there is many strings related to Rio players in there too. Maybe the old SoundJam player synced with Rio Players back in the day.

Also I wouldn't get too excited about the Nike+ strings, they also exist in the Apple TV section too. Probably just a quick copy/paste job on behalf of lazy programmers

xtbfx
Nov 6, 2007, 06:11 AM
Hi.
I don't have that battery icon on iTunes with my iPod touch.
Is it specific for 3G nanos ?

I have it on my 6G 160GB Classic. It didn't show up on my iPhone.

Fuchal
Nov 6, 2007, 06:15 AM

This is 100% correct. AAC (and no other modern audio formats, either) have a true CBR mode.

That is by design. All AAC files encoded by iTunes are ABR, which gives it the ability to use a slightly bigger bitrate for a frame if necessary. iTunes until recently only showed your target bitrate (which is wrong), not the actual bitrate (which is the correct way to show it).

Also if you select the VBR option, the bitrate differences of course will be larger.

Diatribe
Nov 6, 2007, 06:26 AM
This is 100% correct. AAC (and no other modern audio formats, either) have a true CBR mode.

Does that only apply for newly encoded tracks?

ajgray
Nov 6, 2007, 06:55 AM
The new 'true VBR' feature seems to be either Tiger or Intel Processor only. On my MacBook, an Apple Lossless file encoded at 128kbs VBR comes out as '132kbs' but when encoded on my Power Mac G5, still running on 10.3.9, the encoded file stays at '128kbs' even with the new updates. The two encoded files are different sizes too. Weird :confused:

aafuss1
Nov 6, 2007, 06:57 AM
The Phase game is by MTV/Viacom, it seems.

twoodcc
Nov 6, 2007, 07:03 AM
I just updated. Seems much the same as before and iTunes itself works fine. I like the true VBR mode for importing CDs.

same here so far

Diatribe
Nov 6, 2007, 07:07 AM
The new 'true VBR' feature seems to be either Tiger or Intel Processor only. On my MacBook, an Apple Lossless file encoded at 128kbs VBR comes out as '132kbs' but when encoded on my Power Mac G5, still running on 10.3.9, the encoded file stays at '128kbs' even with the new updates. The two encoded files are different sizes too. Weird :confused:

Hence my question whether this only applies for newly encoded tracks or whether the info was just incorrect and the encoding has been the same.

jholzner
Nov 6, 2007, 07:12 AM

They have slightly improved the quicktime UI, it's a shame it still uses the brushed metal, but they have removed the "Walls" around the video.

Are you using Windows or Tiger? there is no brushed metal on my quicktime now under Leopard. It's the same sort of dark gray that all apps use.

Orng
Nov 6, 2007, 08:01 AM
I live in Canada, and I have the ringtones option in the sidebar now too... I hope that means the iPhone may be coming up here soon.

Don't bet on it, it's not worth any company's trouble to differentiate software updates between Canada and the US (except in the case of spell checkers, but only because obnoxious people like me get on their case if our spell checker thinks "color" is correct). You and I are just going to have to get used to meaningless bloatware until some glorious day when you can buy an iPhone; or in my case, go to the store and play with an iPhone, say "neato", and keep using the ol' perfectly functional Samsung.

What your Quicksilver needs to join the Leopard Happy Fun Club is a little thing called a hack :D
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=371302

I'm actually in the midst of deciding whether it's worth it to bother sneaking into the party with a fake mustache on. Planning to buy an MBP, will probably have to sell the Quicksilver to get the last couple hundred dollars. Luckily I just found someone who happens to need an old G4, so wish me luck!

swarmster
Nov 6, 2007, 08:39 AM
The Phase game is by MTV/Viacom, it seems.

The Phase game is by Harmonix (now owned by MTV), creators of Guitar Hero and soon-to-be Rock Band. I'm really surprised no one's making a bigger deal out of this. Apparently it's a rhythm game that lets you use your own music.

tbluhp
Nov 6, 2007, 08:56 AM
It says it includes support for a new game but where do you find it?

TheSpaz
Nov 6, 2007, 09:27 AM
The Phase game is by Harmonix (now owned by MTV), creators of Guitar Hero and soon-to-be Rock Band. I'm really surprised no one's making a bigger deal out of this. Apparently it's a rhythm game that lets you use your own music.

I want that for my iPod touch!

JGowan
Nov 6, 2007, 10:30 AM
The Phase game is by Harmonix (now owned by MTV), creators of Guitar Hero and soon-to-be Rock Band. I'm really surprised no one's making a bigger deal out of this. Apparently it's a rhythm game that lets you use your own music.Well... I am glad. I was kind of upset when I intially saw the demo and thought it was a blatant Rip-off. They need to say "From the creators of Guitar Hero" so that it would not immediately put a bad taste in people's mouth. I think people these days are getting more and more tired of seeing the little guy taken advantage of and ripped off.

TheZA
Nov 6, 2007, 11:18 AM
I think these updates hosed some things in Tiger. After install Quicken keeps quiting, and the log mentions something about these programs. I reinstalled Quicken and still couldn't get it to work. The updates seem to work fine in Leopard. I'm going to reinstall Tiger from my external clone and not do this update.

VPA021
Nov 6, 2007, 12:01 PM
New with iTunes - manually manage your music on your iPhone!

(I think 1.1.2 will enable this but the documentation is in iTunes 7.5)

From the help file:

Can you please provide a direct link to that page?

Draythor
Nov 6, 2007, 12:04 PM
I don't know if this was a prior feature but holding shift and hitting the Album Artwork viewer button makes the viewer appear and disappear slowly. Like the dock.

compuguy1088
Nov 6, 2007, 12:13 PM
Don't bet on it, it's not worth any company's trouble to differentiate software updates between Canada and the US (except in the case of spell checkers, but only because obnoxious people like me get on their case if our spell checker thinks "color" is correct). You and I are just going to have to get used to meaningless bloatware until some glorious day when you can buy an iPhone; or in my case, go to the store and play with an iPhone, say "neato", and keep using the ol' perfectly functional Samsung.

I'm actually in the midst of deciding whether it's worth it to bother sneaking into the party with a fake mustache on. Planning to buy an MBP, will probably have to sell the Quicksilver to get the last couple hundred dollars. Luckily I just found someone who happens to need an old G4, so wish me luck!

I would recommend getting the mustache and a top hat, you'll fit in perfectly :D

Drpepper99uk
Nov 6, 2007, 12:22 PM
Hello,

Is it me or does this update seem painfully slow when being downloaded? I've tried to download these 2 updates via the software update way as well as the direct download link on Apple's website at various times only to get it saying that it will take nearly 2 hours when normally I would have both done in about 5 mins maximum. I'm also experiancing problems with this site in slow loading times, although other websites seem fine. 10.4k/Sec downloads on a 8 meg connection is very slow if you ask me!!

Anyone else having problems there side of things?

Michael.