PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch Firmware 1.1.2 Released: Add Calendar Events

MacRumors
Nov 8, 2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Alongside the iPhone 1.1.2 update, Apple has also released an iPod Touch 1.1.2 firmware update which is available for some through iTunes. For those who are impatient, a direct download is also available:

iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw (http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/061-4036.20071107.9g3DF/iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw)

Early reports indicate that the new iPod Touch update provides "Add Event" functionality to the iPod Touch, confirming (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/08/ipod-touch-calendar-to-get-add-edit-functionality/) an email exchange from Steve Jobs who promised that edit and add calendar events would be coming in a future software update. The lack of calendar editing had been described as a "bug" by Jobs.

While the iPod Touch 1.1.2 and iPhone 1.1.2 updates are likely very similar, there may be device specific issues. Please keep comments on topic in their respective threads.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/11/09/ipod-touch-firmware-1-1-2-released-add-calendar-events/)

justflie
Nov 9, 2007, 12:00 AM
Yay, sounds like a great addition for those with the iPod Touch. I'm not sure why it wasn't included in the first place, but oh well, all's well that ends well.

k2director
Nov 9, 2007, 12:03 AM
Great!

Now how about a To Do application for the iPhone, Apple! It's been more than 4 months since launch, and I still can't sync my To Dos.

My crap, $50 Sony Ericsson phone can do it, why not the iPhone?

aswitcher
Nov 9, 2007, 12:03 AM
Awesome. Very happy now!

Now where is my email and googlemaps ;)

Stang68
Nov 9, 2007, 12:06 AM
hmmm...there is no reason for me to update my jailbroken touch bc I have the add/edit feature already and much more!

Aaleck
Nov 9, 2007, 12:08 AM
No news to most, jailbreakers have had the calender add button for weeks

sanmarcos
Nov 9, 2007, 12:08 AM
That is great. I don't care about Mail or Maps, I know Apple took them out to distinguish it from the iPhone.

But please add Notes..... we need Notes...

al256
Nov 9, 2007, 12:15 AM
Is someone leaking these links? Where are they coming from?

Lunettes
Nov 9, 2007, 12:19 AM
That's great!

Any news about 802.1x support?

Matthew Yohe
Nov 9, 2007, 12:22 AM
That's great!

No support for iPhone, I assume the same is for the touch.

Stang68
Nov 9, 2007, 12:27 AM
No support for iPhone, I assume the same is for the touch.

DAMNITT!! That would be worth getting rid of the jailbreak!

KingYaba
Nov 9, 2007, 12:31 AM
Do you think Apple is releasing firmware?

ebouwman
Nov 9, 2007, 12:35 AM
I'm looking at getting a touch, but whats with taking out maps and mail? you can look at mail right from the browser i'm sure, but can you look at google maps from the browser?

Flynntoo
Nov 9, 2007, 12:37 AM
first of many updates

007bond4321
Nov 9, 2007, 12:47 AM
For some reason my Leopard MBP can't find the iPhone update. Anyone have a link?
Thanks in advance

Whadda you know, it's under the iPhone announcement :)

syklee26
Nov 9, 2007, 12:48 AM
biggest question mark would be whether this update would make iJailbreak nonfunctional.

for whatever reason iJailbreak 0.30 version skipped on adding calendar events.

nologo
Nov 9, 2007, 12:48 AM
I'm looking at getting a touch, but whats with taking out maps and mail? you can look at mail right from the browser i'm sure, but can you look at google maps from the browser?

Um, yes?

Besides, with Jailbreak on a touch the process is completely reversible plus you can add the maps and mail apps natively with ease.

SirCrumpet
Nov 9, 2007, 12:53 AM
Anyone know if this update will remove Maps/Mail etc. from the iphone if they've been added in. I know it will remove 3rd party apps, but if its similar to the iPhone one perhaps it will leave the iPhone apps alone :rolleyes:

In other news, TUAW is reporting the new touch f/w is already jailbroken :S http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/09/1-1-2-ipod-touch-jailbroken-before-its-official-release/

ebouwman
Nov 9, 2007, 12:54 AM
Um, yes?

Besides, with Jailbreak on a touch the process is completely reversible plus you can add the maps and mail apps natively with ease.

i just thought that google maps was flash based 4 a sec, and if i'm right flash doesn't work on the touch? I was just wondering what the big deal was:p i probably wouldn't go through the trouble of jailbreaking just to get mail and maps.:rolleyes:

SirCrumpet
Nov 9, 2007, 12:56 AM
It is totally worth it if only for mail.

r21hugo
Nov 9, 2007, 12:59 AM
it seems that the 1.1.2 firmware has been jailbroken already http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/09/1-1-2-ipod-touch-jailbroken-before-its-official-release/

mrhockey123
Nov 9, 2007, 01:04 AM
Well, short of a forced conversion, No way are most jailbroken iPods going back into the slammer.

1. we already HAVE ability to add calendar
2. still no email for touch says steve jobs - I've become too attached to let mail go!
3. um, 3rd party apps? aparently streaming radio (which I have yet to try) and ability to download podcasts without iTunes?

Quite frankly, the update doesn't interest me. Apple should have repaired the TIFF exploit because it's a vulnerability in the device. Obviously they have not done so, otherwise it would be impossible to jailbreak the old way, so why bother getting the upgrade? If my iPod is going to have the flaw one way or another, I might as well have all the sweet third party apps plus the iPhone apps.

Hope my iPod doesn't auto-update although it really shouldn't

petvas
Nov 9, 2007, 01:05 AM
For those who are impatient, a direct download is also available:

iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw (http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iPod/SBML/osx/bundles/061-4036.20071107.9g3DF/iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw)

How do I use the file to update my touch?

r21hugo
Nov 9, 2007, 01:07 AM
Well, short of a forced conversion, No way are most jailbroken iPods going back into the slammer.

1. we already HAVE ability to add calendar
2. still no email for touch says steve jobs - I've become too attached to let mail go!
3. um, 3rd party apps? aparently streaming radio (which I have yet to try) and ability to download podcasts without iTunes?

Quite frankly, the update doesn't interest me. Apple should have repaired the TIFF exploit because it's a vulnerability in the device. Obviously they have not done so, otherwise it would be impossible to jailbreak the old way, so why bother getting the upgrade? If my iPod is going to have the flaw one way or another, I might as well have all the sweet third party apps plus the iPhone apps.

Hope my iPod doesn't auto-update although it really shouldn't

hey by the way there already is a way to fix the TIFF exploit from the installer.app

667-75
Nov 9, 2007, 01:08 AM
How do I use the file to update my touch?
If you're running Windows, just "shift + click" on the update button in iTunes and open the update file from there.

If I remember correctly, on a MAC it is "option + click".

ChrisBrightwell
Nov 9, 2007, 01:09 AM
i probably wouldn't go through the trouble of jailbreaking just to get mail and maps.:rolleyes:

I did, and it was worth every bit of trouble.

petvas
Nov 9, 2007, 01:10 AM
If you're running Windows, just "shift + click" on the update button in iTunes and open the update file from there.

Thanks! It works on my Mac. Option + click did the trick

cbrain
Nov 9, 2007, 01:12 AM
Ah! So I was right when I said it will probably add the add event button, but someone on here thought I was crazy for saying that!

aswitcher
Nov 9, 2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks! It works on my Mac. Option + click did the trick

Option Click which file from the downloads?

beneventi
Nov 9, 2007, 01:21 AM
Hello guys, I've just connected my Touch to iTunes but it says me that 1.1.1 is the latest version available.

How can I update to 1.1.2?

Regards

Alessandro

arn
Nov 9, 2007, 01:25 AM
Hello guys, I've just connected my Touch to iTunes but it says me that 1.1.1 is the latest version available.

You may just have to wait a little longer. it's not appearing in everyone's iTunes at this time.

arn

gklitt
Nov 9, 2007, 01:37 AM
I just updated my iPod Touch firmware. Not much seems to be different, except that:

-iTunes detects iPod battery life
-Confirmed: calendar events can be added

pogwilson@ntlwo
Nov 9, 2007, 01:45 AM

Not in the UK yet - my iTunes does not yet have this update - clicking check (at 08;30 hrs GMT) for update just tells me my current version 1.1.1 is up to date. BTW assuming 1.1.2 for touch is out today and that it does deliver edit cal functionality I wonder what effect this will have on iPhone sales here. Hmm ... I bet O2 are miffed again (remember ... the iPod touch being announced the same day as the iPhone launch date was announced, and O2 was confirmed as the carrier).

chrisdazzo
Nov 9, 2007, 02:03 AM
Oooh, "option+click" the "Check for Update" button in iTunes when the iPod or iPhone is plugged in...

Then choose the zipped file from wherever it is... Hm! Simple! :p

xy14
Nov 9, 2007, 02:36 AM

you can look at google maps but the only way you can move the map around is with the 4 arrow buttons. no flicking allowed.
but wait! You could get these features plus many others, by simply jailbreaking the touch and not upgrading the firmware!
there is an app that jailbreaks it and adds all the iPhone stuff to the iPod. Plus you can get 3rd party apps without waiting until february!

-Hobbes-
Nov 9, 2007, 03:27 AM
Well I updated my iTouch this morning. I was looking forward to the add event to Calendar for some time, but am still a bit disappointed as it appears that you can only add and edit events which you generated on the iTouch. You cannot edit events you have synced from iCal which I find illogical....

Mail, Notes and Gmaps are still on my wish list though.

And yes, I could simply jailbreak but Am still considering it but worried about stability of some programs and have read in some posts a bug that affected YouTube when jailbroken.

Will follow the developments... I have seen that 1.1.2 is already jailbroken, so we will see what comes out of it!

youngestchild
Nov 9, 2007, 03:35 AM
how long do you think it will be before the next ipod touch is out?

being able to add new cal events on the go would be pretty darn sweet. i never remember to sync my cal with my phone... but to do it with an ipod i wouldn't have to remember, it would just happen. its just the idea of something better being around the corner that kills the deal... i'm one of those people who waited countless months for a new imac :D :apple:

voodoofish
Nov 9, 2007, 03:36 AM
when i clicked 'check for update' it said 1.1.1 was the latest, so i tried the manual method, but itunes had an error part way through, and then said my ipod was stuck in recover mode and needed to be restored! when restoring, however, itunes recognised 1.1.2 as the latest version and downloaded it from within itunes, so maybe this is a way for people to get to updates firmware from within itunes is itunes still thinks 1.1.1 is the latest version?

itunes had another error the first time i tried to restore my ipod, but the second time i did it i connected my ipod touch to my mac directly instead of through a usb hub and it worked fine, so that may have been the problem.

xy14
Nov 9, 2007, 03:46 AM
so does this update work with ijailbreak???

mmulin
Nov 9, 2007, 03:52 AM

as long it is not .mac mail. you can look at it but in general it doesn't work. my biggest gripe : apple doesn't work with apple

Gee4orce
Nov 9, 2007, 04:01 AM
iJailbreak is really worth the 'bother' of running it, restarting your iPod a half dozen times, for the benefit of suddenly having Mail, Maps, Notes, Weather...etc. Think how limited the Touch would feel without Safari...well adding Mail and these other apps adds about as much utility as having Safari on board.

FWIW though, my Touch is going back because it's got a strip across the screen where it doesn't respond to touch at all.

big_scot_nanny
Nov 9, 2007, 04:09 AM
as long it is not .mac mail. you can look at it but in general it doesn't work. my biggest gripe : apple doesn't work with apple

Are you saying that .Mac mail doesn't work for you on your touch using safari?

It works fine for me.

Kaspers
Nov 9, 2007, 04:12 AM
so does this update work with ijailbreak???
Not yet..

aswitcher
Nov 9, 2007, 05:40 AM
My synchs always seem to hang now on Contacts. I have left it for 10 minutes just on Synching Contacts. Canceling means no transfers.
Did one Restore but no good, as used backup which I think has kept the same problems.

Anyone else having this problem with Calenders and Contacts not synching but hanging in synch mode?

andrewag
Nov 9, 2007, 05:57 AM
You can add contacts now.

aswitcher
Nov 9, 2007, 06:00 AM
You can add contacts now.

Always could

twoodcc
Nov 9, 2007, 06:08 AM
good news for those with an iPod Touch. this was a big thing missing, and i'm glad that they added it

happylittlemac
Nov 9, 2007, 07:00 AM
Sooner or later Apple 'is' going to come down on people who jailbreak their iPhone or iPod Touch. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but Apple will have the last word in the end.

kumarbar
Nov 9, 2007, 07:07 AM
Hi,

guys thanks a ziliion for posting the firmware update. But i am not able to install it as a password authorization is required for the 022-3724-1.dmg file. Able to provide some help here..?

hachre
Nov 9, 2007, 07:12 AM
I've tried updating my jailbroken iPod touch 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 and the result is a crashloop.

It seems that the Springboard crashes just after startup, gets automatically relaunched, crashes again etc...

I'm doing a firmware restore right now to see if it fixes it.

Edit1:
Doing a restore and using the backup results in the same crashloop as before.

Edit2:
Restoring without using the backup settings is working.

Conclusion:
Jailbroken 1.1.1 iPod touchs can be updated to 1.1.2 but you will lose the jailbreak, all applications and all settings completely.

chabig
Nov 9, 2007, 07:14 AM
That's great!

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the iPod touch was wireless from the beginning.

ucfgrad93
Nov 9, 2007, 07:36 AM
I'm sure this will be a welcome update to those that have the touch.

bradk50
Nov 9, 2007, 07:36 AM

Not mistaken, just in a little over your head...

802.1x is not wireless, its a network access control protocol, used on some wireless networks and switches.

Trooperof3
Nov 9, 2007, 07:42 AM
1 step closer to me getting an Ipod Touch

cubist
Nov 9, 2007, 07:59 AM
Sooner or later Apple 'is' going to come down on people who jailbreak their iPhone or iPod Touch. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but Apple will have the last word in the end.

I'll be happy to say it's wrong.

It is this assertion by Apple that they "own" these things, even though they've sold them to the consumer, that really sticks in the craw. Woz would've never imposed these arrogant limitations. That is the real reason why I don't own an iPhone or an iPod: Apple's corporate attitude is completely, deliberately, assertively wrong. That's the bug that needs to be fixed.

I've spent thousands of dollars on Apple products back in the day, but this attitude has gotten worse and worse, and I am not spending a cent until it's fixed.

nlivo
Nov 9, 2007, 08:01 AM
I will probably update. I don't really care if it takes away my hacking. I haven't been impressed with the 3rd party apps and I don't think they'll be missed. My main reason for updating will be to fix a lot of bugs. I don't listen to much music on my touch at the moment because I can't do this while browsing safari. This "bug" annoys me a lot. Although i really do what apple to release there own apps that you can buy on itunes. I reckon they would make ichat on the touch AWESOME. Espiecally whilst using other apps. Come on apple.

delage
Nov 9, 2007, 08:17 AM
Hi everybody, as we'd like to buy few iph pieces in a nyc applestore before we leave us , we'd like to know if you think appl already sells embedded 1.1.2 iph in their stores , for example , for serials (box) beetween xxx 39 xxxx and xxx 44 xxxx ? would it be possible to check the box before paying/buying in order to be sure we get an old version, for sure not to buy a 1.1.2 . thanks Alex :confused:

Ragashingo
Nov 9, 2007, 08:22 AM

It is this assertion by Apple that they "own" these things, even though they've sold them to the consumer, that really sticks in the craw. Woz would've never imposed these arrogant limitations. That is the real reason why I don't own an iPhone or an iPod: Apple's corporate attitude is completely, deliberately, assertively wrong. That's the bug that needs to be fixed.

I've spent thousands of dollars on Apple products back in the day, but this attitude has gotten worse and worse, and I am not spending a cent until it's fixed.

With Woz neither the iPhone or iPod would exist. Sure Apple can be frustrating sometimes, but things could be worse.

tothecore
Nov 9, 2007, 08:31 AM
i cant seem to update my phone.. it says only 1.1.1 is avail. :(

TheSpaz
Nov 9, 2007, 08:33 AM
I'm not upgrading unless there are fixes in this update that my jailbroken iPod touch does not have. So far, I DO have Edit in Calendar and I DO have the TIFF exploit FIXED so what else is there to upgrade for? However, I am happy that they are give a very very small piece of freedom to non jailbreakers. I can't imagine going back to using my iPod without the extra Apps... it's so boring with the few Apple gives you... Remember having to use Web-Only Apps... you HAD to be connected to the internet for them to even work... but, with native Apps, I can add notes or play Nintendo without a wifi signal.

ihatescarves
Nov 9, 2007, 08:39 AM
-------------

Chris F
Nov 9, 2007, 08:45 AM
Does the 1.1.2 jailbreak still use the TIFF exploit or has this been fixed?

(apologies if this is an obvious answer I jailbroke my 1.1.1 manually as soon as it was available and haven't kept track of developments since)

kfresh
Nov 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
Well I updated my iTouch this morning. I was looking forward to the add event to Calendar for some time, but am still a bit disappointed as it appears that you can only add and edit events which you generated on the iTouch. You cannot edit events you have synced from iCal which I find illogical....

I was able to edit events synched from iCal with no problem...Click on the event and you will see an edit button in the upper right.

I also see a new button (globe) on the keyboard layout. This is for the different language keyboards, under your settings you can now turn multiple language keyboards off and on. Pretty cool.

balamw
Nov 9, 2007, 08:50 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.1x You're thinking 802.11* 1X is an authentication/security that lies on top of your network.

B

Eclipse278
Nov 9, 2007, 08:53 AM
I updated to 1.1.2 and the music has not stopped since, especially though heavy safari usage. Reason enough to upgrade.

PygmySurfer
Nov 9, 2007, 08:57 AM
Hi everybody, as we'd like to buy few iph pieces in a nyc applestore before we leave us , we'd like to know if you think appl already sells embedded 1.1.2 iph in their stores , for example , for serials (box) beetween xxx 39 xxxx and xxx 44 xxxx ? would it be possible to check the box before paying/buying in order to be sure we get an old version, for sure not to buy a 1.1.2 . thanks Alex :confused:

I assume you want 1.1.1 because it can be hacked - well, 1.1.2 can as well, so there's no worries.

Unless there's some other reason (You don't WANT to be able to edit Calendar events?), you should be OK with 1.1.1 or 1.1.2. I think it's also likely the ones in stores still have 1.1.1 installed, as the update was JUST released. The next batch (what're we on, week 45 now?) would have 1.1.2 installed.

P-Worm
Nov 9, 2007, 09:17 AM
This is excellent news.

P-Worm

gmanrique
Nov 9, 2007, 09:27 AM
All this 3rd party crying thing is so ridiculous when you look at the 'oh so great applications some people cannot live without'. 95 to 98 % of those apps are rubbish.

I will probably update. I don't really care if it takes away my hacking. I haven't been impressed with the 3rd party apps and I don't think they'll be missed. My main reason for updating will be to fix a lot of bugs. I don't listen to much music on my touch at the moment because I can't do this while browsing safari. This "bug" annoys me a lot. Although i really do what apple to release there own apps that you can buy on itunes. I reckon they would make ichat on the touch AWESOME. Espiecally whilst using other apps. Come on apple.

gmanrique
Nov 9, 2007, 09:37 AM
Apple sells a product and promised to give more features and to fix bugs as you move along. They even said since day 1 that they were looking into a development option to be offered in a secure way, and in the mean time they offered a web dev kit.

That is a lot to get when compared to most companies. And please don't bring the comparisons to open platforms for hobbyists that really are not used by a significant number of people. That is exactly why Google is doing what they are doing.

Anyhow, Apple does not think they 'own' the products they sell. They think they should improve them, within the parameters of the sale agreement. Nobody forces people to hack neither upgrade their products. Apple is not responsible to test hacks before they release a patch or fix for a product they make. Their corporate attitude is actually way better than most other companies'.

And BTW, this "Woz the Boss" thing is just stupid. Please stop that. Or even better, go and buy products from the not-so-arrogant company he must be running, doing all those great things for developers and hackers and free spirits, etc. Oh, wait, he is not doing *****, just mumbling and talking. What a great guy.

EDIT: Sorry about the rant, I know. Please keep the discussion on topic.

plumbingandtech
Nov 9, 2007, 09:41 AM
Agreed 100%.

They even said since day 1 that they were looking into a development option to be offered in a secure way, and in the mean time they offered a web dev kit.

He actually said it before iPhone day. Late May. And yet look at all the laughable claims people made once apple announced a release date.

"Oh it was the hackers that made apple that did this"

"Oh it was public pressure"

and the new one..

"Apple heard android was coming and tried to steal google thunder"

Uggg.

snareguy8@gmail
Nov 9, 2007, 09:53 AM
I downloaded the file, but I can't figure out how to install it. Thanks- Donny

Stang68
Nov 9, 2007, 10:08 AM
any word on 802.1x?

criticalmiracle
Nov 9, 2007, 10:11 AM

Then why are you here?

jicon
Nov 9, 2007, 10:13 AM
I think you are at least partially accurate. However, Summerboard, Stocks, Terminal, Mail, Apollo, Weather, and GoogleMaps have been great.

If your niche is music, then I can't see you wanting anything else running on the Touch. There are however, useful apps out there that I use more than the Safari browser. I'm convinced there is a 3rd party app or two that would be useful to everyone.

All this 3rd party crying thing is so ridiculous when you look at the 'oh so great applications some people cannot live without'. 95 to 98 % of those apps are rubbish.

michaelsweeney
Nov 9, 2007, 10:14 AM

I had trouble with this too, simply download the file, option-click on the update button in itunes with ipod attached, then select the ZIP file (note it must be the ZIP file itself, this is what i had trouble with, since my zip program automatically extracted it for me). After that it should update, and everything should be gravy.:cool:

tom.
Nov 9, 2007, 10:39 AM
Updated firmware to v1.1.2 manually (Shift-Click 'Check for Update' in Windows, Option-Click in OSX in iTunes)

-Add/Edit in calendar is confirmed

802.1X authentication i'm almost certain is still not in place. Besides, if they did decide to incorporate this they would have to (or at least should) enable itunes to upload certificates and such. Not quite such an easy task, maybe they are working away at it.

In my opinion, nice small update, bigger things to come hopefully.

(We need mail/maps/to-do-list/802.1X! I sold my Palm TX for this.)

:-)

Rhosfelt
Nov 9, 2007, 10:42 AM
Not mistaken, just in a little over your head...

802.1x is not wireless, its a network access control protocol, used on some wireless networks and switches.

This is used mostly at colleges and some businesses...Steve I thought you promised us that.. :(:(:(

I would drop any good features (mail/maps/notes) to be able to be on the internet outside of my house or dorm room...

owen-b
Nov 9, 2007, 10:46 AM
So what happens with the official editable calendar when you sync back to the Mac? At the moment on my Jailbroken iPod, events added on the iPod itself sync back as 'home' events, which is really bloody annoying as I have to manually go through them and change them to 'work' events which they invariably are. Any option to automatically add to one calendar or another?

Nye
Nov 9, 2007, 10:57 AM
If you update your jailbroken iPod Touch (1.1.1), will it get bricked or will you just lose all of the apps you added on there (e.g. Notes and Mail)? I want to know before I update!

Thanks

oceanmonster
Nov 9, 2007, 11:26 AM
So what happens with the official editable calendar when you sync back to the Mac? At the moment on my Jailbroken iPod, events added on the iPod itself sync back as 'home' events, which is really bloody annoying as I have to manually go through them and change them to 'work' events which they invariably are. Any option to automatically add to one calendar or another?

It syncs them back to one calender. You get to choose which one.

tonkaxxtuph
Nov 9, 2007, 11:41 AM
Hi,
Help me please...I tried to update my phone to the the new firmware and now its not able to be recognized...the screen shows itunes icon with the plug pointing at the itunes icon.

I noticed when updating that a certain file couldn't be saved to the iphone, whats.

Does anyone have any answers?

Mitch1984
Nov 9, 2007, 12:16 PM
The majority of users on this forum are obsessed with unlocking the iPhone.

I won't be unlocking mine, I can't be bothered to unlock then lock before a software update, do software update then unlock again. To be honest if I did, I'd end up playing extra for data, 02's unlimited data plan is gonna save me around 30-50 a month. If I opted to unlock it so I could have it now on Orange now and then stayed on orange rather than O2 in January it'd cost me extra.

The only way it'd benefit me is that I could have an iPhone now rather than January when my contract runs out.

iZaid
Nov 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
I had trouble with this too, simply download the file, option-click on the update button in itunes with ipod attached, then select the ZIP file (note it must be the ZIP file itself, this is what i had trouble with, since my zip program automatically extracted it for me). After that it should update, and everything should be gravy.:cool:

right click the file, click compress, wait till finder zips the file, then alt click the update button in itunes and choose the zip file. it should work. :)

Shanesan
Nov 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
So the consensus is: If it's already jailbroken, this patch is completely worthless.

Woo hoo.

Eraserhead
Nov 9, 2007, 12:48 PM

You need to find the .zip file and open that in iTunes by Option Clicking on the "Check for Updates" button. If Safari has auto-unzipped it that file won't work.

akac
Nov 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
I'm not upgrading unless there are fixes in this update that my jailbroken iPod touch does not have. So far, I DO have Edit in Calendar and I DO have the TIFF exploit FIXED so what else is there to upgrade for? However, I am happy that they are give a very very small piece of freedom to non jailbreakers. I can't imagine going back to using my iPod without the extra Apps... it's so boring with the few Apple gives you... Remember having to use Web-Only Apps... you HAD to be connected to the internet for them to even work... but, with native Apps, I can add notes or play Nintendo without a wifi signal.

Because the Edit in Calendar was disabled due to bugs that are now fixed. So you can either use buggy Edit or Apple sanctioned fixed Edit. Same with the TIFF fix - would you rather have a fix made by the people who made the software or some hackers?

akac
Nov 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
So the consensus is: If it's already jailbroken, this patch is completely worthless.

Woo hoo.

Consensus by people who don't know better.

mooty
Nov 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
I've noticed the following:

- New language button on keyboard
- I think alarms now work through the external speaker? Can anyone else confirm?

winterspan
Nov 9, 2007, 02:49 PM

Only because it's not worth it for most developers (especially the professional ones and ones with big budgets) until every iPhone/Touch can run applications without hacking. Besides, It's pretty difficult when there is NO DOCUMENTATION on the API's, API's keep changing, no ability to debug appsm etc. I give them credit for even getting ANYTHING running.

Bottom line: If you don't care about 3rd party applications, thats your choice but quit with the insults and other BS for the people who can't wait till February.

I will LAUGH when the SDK comes out and new amazing applications emerge. At that point, you'll conveniently toss away the anti-3rd-party attitude and probably deride people for how cool you are that you just downloaded the latest chat application or photo editor or something.

jepaz
Nov 9, 2007, 03:25 PM
I've noticed the following:
- I think alarms now work through the external speaker? Can anyone else confirm?

It's been working even before 1.1.2.

HelixOmnimedia
Nov 9, 2007, 03:37 PM
I've downloaded and then re-zipped the file, did the whole alt + click in iTunes, select the file and it extracts the software and does its things before its says:

The iPod "iPod Touch" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (0xE8000013).

I've downloaded the file two times now and it does the same thing... the update won't work thought check for update in iTunes (says 1.1.1 is latest).

HELP

darbod
Nov 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
I'm getting the same problem with the error message.

mooty
Nov 9, 2007, 03:40 PM
It's been working even before 1.1.2.

no it hasn't. The alarm would not work through the external speaker unless you reset the iPod. Then it would stop again after you sync. Its a problem well documented on apple.com discussions

mooty
Nov 9, 2007, 03:44 PM
Alright, so I've downloaded the file. I'm not an idiot, nor am I a hacker; but the files appear to be password protected. Anyone else have this problem?

Your admin password?

morespce54
Nov 9, 2007, 03:57 PM

It may sounds stupid but it's *not* illogical regarding Apple point of view.
It's the same behavior iCal (computer version) had *forever*. You can subscribe/publish to any calendar (with .Mac or any other service), sync them but you *must* edit them from the device (calendar) you've used to created them.

at least, that's how it works for me...

megfilmworks
Nov 9, 2007, 04:16 PM
no it hasn't. The alarm would not work through the external speaker unless you reset the iPod. Then it would stop again after you sync. Its a problem well documented on apple.com discussionsInteresting, I use alarms all the time but never had that issue.

Kelleheretic
Nov 9, 2007, 04:41 PM
I'm having that exact same error message. Hoping to get this figured out, I'm really sick of Safari crashing and taking iPod with it; I've heard they've fixed that. I alone have had 200+ error reports from that.

verbalist
Nov 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
i heard it was already jailbroken ha

verbalist
Nov 9, 2007, 05:47 PM
its not worth the update for a calender add button i already have that hacked in there

GamecockMac
Nov 9, 2007, 05:53 PM
its not worth the update for a calender add button i already have that hacked in there

Goody goody for you...do you want a cookie or something?

Prof.
Nov 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
Obviously, the update hasn't been released yet. I hooked up my touch to iTunes and it told me there are no updates :confused:

Prof. :apple:

skrysko
Nov 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
Well the update fixed the alarm problem where you couldn't hear the alarms on calendar events or clock alarms through the tiny internal speaker.

billabong
Nov 9, 2007, 06:26 PM
How do I install the update?

adauge
Nov 9, 2007, 06:32 PM
I've downloaded and then re-zipped the file, did the whole alt + click in iTunes, select the file and it extracts the software and does its things before its says:

The iPod "iPod Touch" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (0xE8000013).

I've downloaded the file two times now and it does the same thing... the update won't work thought check for update in iTunes (says 1.1.1 is latest).

HELPI'm getting the same thing.

boxandrew
Nov 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
It seems that it's taking time for iTunes to recognise the fact that there is a new version. I've left my Touch on 1.1.1 and iTunes still says this is up to date. I guess it'll be there tomorrow...

MarkMe
Nov 9, 2007, 07:47 PM
Did they ever solve the problem of dark video on the iTouch?
Mark

EagerDragon
Nov 9, 2007, 07:48 PM
I am not so sure about this claim that 1.1.2 has been jail broken.

They went back to 1.1.1 before they were able to load something on the iPhone, I assume that they jail broke it at 1.1.1 and then loaded a payload but I could be wrong. Then they upgraded back to 1.1.2 and since it seems 1.1.2 is more gentel, the payload was still there and apparently was still executable.

If any of this is true, I guess they are clever and Apple was careless in not wiping the phone clean during the upgrade.

As people files, music etc, should be synced first, wiping the phone before the upload should not be an issue.

I have heard from the iToner people that apparently they have some developers at Apple as friends so this may had something to do with being gentler with iToner, but I could be way off.

Just a guess.

Standing Amazed
Nov 9, 2007, 07:54 PM
It may sounds stupid but it's *not* illogical regarding Apple point of view.
It's the same behavior iCal (computer version) had *forever*. You can subscribe/publish to any calendar (with .Mac or any other service), sync them but you *must* edit them from the device (calendar) you've used to created them.

at least, that's how it works for me...

Huh? I can edit events that I've created on my iMac, and vice versa

umijin
Nov 9, 2007, 08:23 PM
I think that this file (at this point) is not officially released as yet, but every mac or tech blog seems to be claiming that it is.

The update isn't available on via the iTunes iPod 'Check for Update' button, plus this file doesn't appear on any of Apple's main site pages. And not yet listed on the Downloads page or even on the iPod info page. And there isn't any announcement yet from Apple.

It seems this has been dredged up from some file server at Apple.

chrismball
Nov 9, 2007, 08:25 PM
iTunes won't update my iPod Touch - it claims "This version of the iPod software (1.1.1) is the current version"

I think I'm going to wait for Apple to fix the iTunes ipod patcher rather than do it manually.

EagerDragon
Nov 9, 2007, 08:34 PM
iTunes won't update my iPod Touch - it claims "This version of the iPod software (1.1.1) is the current version"

I think I'm going to wait for Apple to fix the iTunes ipod patcher rather than do it manually.

Smart

youngestchild
Nov 9, 2007, 10:17 PM
this is kinda odd, no? I've never heard of an update being "leaked" before... there has to be some reason :apple: hasn't announced this download and for me that's reason enough to not to update my brand new touch... currently running through its first sync... :p

apple-science
Nov 9, 2007, 11:18 PM
If you download the firmware and it unzips, then re-zipping it (i.e. by compressing in the Finder) will not work. You need to option-click in iTunes and pick the iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw.zip file. If you are running Leopard, you'll probably find it in the Trash - just drag it to your desktop.

iTunes will decompress this, run the update, verify it and then restart the Touch. There are several new features including a charging symbol in the iTunes folder list for the Touch.

guy83
Nov 10, 2007, 03:31 AM
Do u guys think they would release a new ipod touch soon? I wanna buy one but I can wait if they would release a better one in a month.

mooty
Nov 10, 2007, 03:45 AM
Do u guys think they would release a new ipod touch soon? I wanna buy one but I can wait if they would release a better one in a month.

we'll see a new iphone before we see a new ipod touch - I'm thinking Jan for new iPhone

brengla
Nov 10, 2007, 07:55 AM
I did, and it was worth every bit of trouble.

How do you do it with the v1.1.2? I'm really scraed of doing it. Can you restore it if you are feeling twitchy about it? If you restore it and a problem appears later on, will it still invalidate the warranty?

deppeler
Nov 10, 2007, 08:31 AM
Is there a page on the Apple site that lists the firmware updates?

EagerDragon
Nov 10, 2007, 08:47 AM
Some time has passed now. It is available in iTunes yet?
If not maybe it is not ready.

deppeler
Nov 10, 2007, 09:19 AM
Some time has passed now. It is available in iTunes yet?
If not maybe it is not ready.

Not yet.
So makes you think it's not ready and also that's why I wanted to find the firmware update page.

adauge
Nov 10, 2007, 09:52 AM
If you download the firmware and it unzips, then re-zipping it (i.e. by compressing in the Finder) will not work. You need to option-click in iTunes and pick the iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw.zip file. If you are running Leopard, you'll probably find it in the Trash - just drag it to your desktop.

iTunes will decompress this, run the update, verify it and then restart the Touch. There are several new features including a charging symbol in the iTunes folder list for the Touch.

Thanks. That's what my problem was.

deppeler
Nov 10, 2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks. That's what my problem was.

It's not even released yet....how do you know it isn't buggy?
I don't see anywhere Apple states it is an update.

adauge
Nov 10, 2007, 01:37 PM
It's not even released yet....how do you know it isn't buggy?
I don't see anywhere Apple states it is an update.
What are you talking about? I was trying to update from the file on the front page and couldn't get it to work cause it was automatically unzipping and so I tried rezipping but it wouldn't work. I was told you had to use the original file before it is unzipped and it did that. Now it worked and I was able to update.

Cameront9
Nov 10, 2007, 05:10 PM
What are you talking about? I was trying to update from the file on the front page and couldn't get it to work cause it was automatically unzipping and so I tried rezipping but it wouldn't work. I was told you had to use the original file before it is unzipped and it did that. Now it worked and I was able to update.

The poster meant that Apple hasn't officially released the update yet...It's not showing up in iTunes at all. That could mean that this was just a leak.

lozanoj83
Nov 10, 2007, 05:14 PM
it IS in iTunes
I updated mine by Hitting the restore button on the iPod screen in iTunes, and it did the rest by itself.

aswitcher
Nov 10, 2007, 08:02 PM
it IS in iTunes
I updated mine by Hitting the restore button on the iPod screen in iTunes, and it did the rest by itself.

Good call. That worked for me as well.

Genghis Khan
Nov 11, 2007, 03:12 AM
i've been trying to update my iPod with the downloaded zip file

what i do is
- plug in iPod
- option+click 'check for updates'
- choose the zip file downloaded
- it says error 0xE8000013

i've looked around the internet (not much info so far as i could find), but the general consensus is that that comes up for hacked iPhones/Touchs

but i haven't hacked my Touch

anyone know what's going on?

aswitcher
Nov 11, 2007, 03:16 AM

what i do is
- plug in iPod
- choose the zip file downloaded
- it says error 0xE8000013

i've looked around the internet (not much info so far as i could find), but the general consensus is that that comes up for hacked iPhones/Touchs

but i haven't hacked my Touch

anyone know what's going on?

Shoot for a hard reset of you touch. That should - hopefully - trigger an update to 1.1.2.

Worse case, you wait 30 minutes whilst it reloads all your stuff and your still on 1.1.1

Genghis Khan
Nov 11, 2007, 03:17 AM
r u serious?

ah well...how does one 'hard reset' an iPod touch?

aswitcher
Nov 11, 2007, 03:39 AM
r u serious?

ah well...how does one 'hard reset' an iPod touch?

Well start with a Restore from the iTunes iPod touch page under the Summary tab.

Also
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306418

Cloudsurfer
Nov 11, 2007, 03:50 AM

Where?? Everyone keeps saying this, but where do I option click? In the iTunes window? On the update button? On my desktop? On my iPod icon? Where???

aswitcher
Nov 11, 2007, 03:53 AM
Where?? Everyone keeps saying this, but where do I option click? In the iTunes window? On the update button? On my desktop? On my iPod icon? Where???

Option/Alt + "Check for Update" button on Summary tab of iTunes when your iPod touch is selected.

darkpaw
Nov 11, 2007, 04:37 AM

Can I just check that you're not trying to choose a .zip file? The file should be .ipsw. Check the size of it; mine is 165,567,897 bytes. If it's not the same size, it's probably been corrupted during the download. Download it again.

Genghis Khan
Nov 11, 2007, 05:41 AM
yes it is a zip file...and i've d/l ed it 3 times...each time it d/l ed as individual files...when i compress it, it become a zip file

so where do i find this .ipsw file?

dambrosir
Nov 11, 2007, 06:18 AM
Option/Alt + "Check for Update" button on Summary tab of iTunes when your iPod touch is selected.

This is on a mac
After you download the file it opens it up and throws the original .zip file into the trash. Pull the .zip out of the trash and place it on the desktop. Then option/click in iTunes and navigate to the file and select it.

owen-b
Nov 11, 2007, 07:19 AM
Okay, so far this 1.1.2 still hasn't arrived on my iTunes (which is up to date). However, I have another question about this editable calendar function it adds. People are saying that you can't edit on the iPod any events which were created on the Mac. But with my jailbroken iPod with the editable events activated, you can.

safetyobc
Nov 11, 2007, 09:20 AM
Why isn't it showing up in iTunes? I don't really want to go around iTunes to get it.

dambrosir
Nov 11, 2007, 09:47 AM
Why isn't it showing up in iTunes? I don't really want to go around iTunes to get it.

Is it possible some developer violated the confidentiality agreement with apple and leaked it. :confused:

psendeavor
Nov 11, 2007, 11:11 AM
People are saying that you can't edit on the iPod any events which were created on the Mac
Yes, you can !

Eniregnat
Nov 11, 2007, 01:29 PM
... simply download the file, option-click on the update button in itunes with ipod attached, then select the ZIP file (note it must be the ZIP file itself... After that it should update, and everything should be gravy.:cool:

Of all the support offered in this thread this one is what did it for me. Thank you, I hadn't thought about alt-clicking a button in iTunes.

Genghis Khan
Nov 11, 2007, 08:19 PM
Finally figured out how to update the iPod touch to 1.1.2

- download the file from the link given on the first post in this thread
- most likely Safari will unzip the file and send the zipped file to the trash, in this case, go to the trash and copy the file 'iPod1,1_1.1.2_3B48b_Restore.ipsw.zip' to whereever you want
- connect iPod and open iTunes
- 'option+click' on 'check for updates' on the iPod's summary tab
- open the file you copied from the trash
- the iPod will update :cool:

and it does seem to run alot smoother, and can an use calendars (finally)

KingYaba
Nov 11, 2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9814114-37.html

Football1maniac
Nov 11, 2007, 11:41 PM
New detailed info on how to Jailbreak 1.1.2, go to Engadget's website, its on the front page.

Be warned, the Mail App does not work because Apple tweaked the Mail App in the 1.1.2 Update;):apple:

pgr3master
Nov 12, 2007, 05:13 PM
its now on itunes here in the uk!!!

GlamisStarPrinc
Nov 18, 2007, 01:25 PM
I am sooooo happy that they added the add event feature! :D I just updated my iPod Touch.....just one little problem....it is really slow when updating! I added one event and it took it like 45 seconds before it was updated!:confused:

apple23
Jan 3, 2008, 01:54 PM
""I will probably update. I don't really care if it takes away my hacking. I haven't been impressed with the 3rd party apps and I don't think they'll be missed. My main reason for updating will be to fix a lot of bugs. I don't listen to much music on my touch at the moment because I can't do this while browsing safari. This "bug" annoys me a lot. Although i really do what apple to release there own apps that you can buy on itunes. I reckon they would make ichat on the touch AWESOME. Espiecally whilst using other apps. Come on apple.""

TheSpaz
Jan 3, 2008, 05:35 PM
""I will probably update. I don't really care if it takes away my hacking. I haven't been impressed with the 3rd party apps and I don't think they'll be missed. My main reason for updating will be to fix a lot of bugs. I don't listen to much music on my touch at the moment because I can't do this while browsing safari. This "bug" annoys me a lot. Although i really do what apple to release there own apps that you can buy on itunes. I reckon they would make ichat on the touch AWESOME. Espiecally whilst using other apps. Come on apple.""

You can jailbreak the 1.1.2 update you know.