PDA

View Full Version : 360 or PS3?

Rovias
Nov 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
Here's my predicament: I'm only days away from picking up a 360. But I started thinking...is there any reason to pick up a PS3 instead? Most of the games I want right now are cross-platform anyway, and the PS3 has built in Blu-Ray for only $50 more.

So...any advantages of the 360 over the PS3? Or PS3 over the 360?

2nyRiggz
Nov 11, 2007, 07:57 PM
We have a thread like this somewhere.....but just to kill this now I would tell you to go with whatever have the games you are interested in. Both have advantages and disadvantages or if you want that bluray player then just get yourself a PS3 but don't expect the big game library that the 360 has...not yet.

Bless

Dagless
Nov 11, 2007, 08:41 PM
Sounds to me that you'd be better off with a 360. Better controller and a better online system. Also with these cross-platform games you're likely to encounter more people online on, say, a system with a larger user base?

Plus a safe 3 year free extended warranty too, should anything happen!

APPLEFAN8
Nov 11, 2007, 08:52 PM
I have a ps3 and love it! Right now I have 9 games and don't forget blu-ray. High Def movies in 1080P plus the 360 has HD-DVD but you have to install it. Ps3 has built in wireless, free online and the games are getting better and better every month. I'm getting NFS: Pro Street and Assasins Creed Saturday and Haze the day it comes out! Guitar hero 3 and Uncharted Drakes for christmas. Its really up to you I haven't had a problem with my ps3 and I have had it for 11 months but the 360 has the RROD but I hear they fixed it! The decision is up to you! ;)

spyker3292
Nov 11, 2007, 09:52 PM
It all depends on the games you want. I am planning on getting a PS3 soon for some games like Unreal Tournament 3, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo. But the 360 has some great games too. Like well... the obvious Halo, Halo Wars, Gears, and Mass Effect. And the online is better, but for Wi-Fi it'll cost you $100 and Live costs $50. It's all about what you want. But IMO I would go with a PS3, it hasn't had as long as the 360 to get attention but in time I believe that some amazing games will come out and cool online play too with HOME.

GFLPraxis
Nov 12, 2007, 01:56 AM
Here's my predicament: I'm only days away from picking up a 360. But I started thinking...is there any reason to pick up a PS3 instead? Most of the games I want right now are cross-platform anyway, and the PS3 has built in Blu-Ray for only $50 more.

So...any advantages of the 360 over the PS3? Or PS3 over the 360?

The PS3 has both built in Blu-ray AND WiFi (a $99 addon on the 360) for only $50 more. But hardware shouldn't decide the choice.

Right now, the 360 has the greater lineup of high-rated games. Still, that could change in the future. Check the kind of games that are available for each platform and make your decision.

Also, don't forget to weigh in the cost of XBox Live. Microsoft charges $50 a year; Sony's online service is free (though with less features, but still fine for gaming). An XBox 360 with 1 year of Live is the same price as a PS3, but lacks Blu-ray and WiFi. The price advantage vanishes. Add two or more years of Live...you get the picture.

But again; look at the games.

Taustin Powers
Nov 12, 2007, 02:22 AM
Most importantly, look at the exclusive titles!

PS3:
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted
Haze
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Little Big Planet
etc.

360:
Halo
Gears of War
Project Gotham Racing
Bioshock (is it coming for PS3?)
Mass Effect
etc.

Just see which games you will see yourself enjoying more. Price-wise, the consoles are the same once you factor in the cost for the 360's online service.

If you are interested in HD movies, and see yourself buying a player sometime in the future, then the Blu-Ray drive should definitely be a factor.

Wi-Fi - important for some, not for all. Decide for yourself.

I think, feature-wise the PS3 seems to be the more complete package and better deal for the money. But that doesn't mean much if it doesn't have the games that you want.

zap2
Nov 12, 2007, 05:06 AM
[QUOTE=Taustin Powers;4480868]Most importantly, look at the exclusive titles!

PS3:
Ratchet & Clank
Uncharted
Haze
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear Solid
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Little Big Planet
etc.

360:
Halo
Gears of War
Project Gotham Racing
Bioshock (is it coming for PS3?)
Mass Effect
etc.
QUOTE]

Someone clearly knows the PS3 games better then their Xbox 360 games :p

But OP, go to IGN or another game site, and look at current and upcoming games. See which one you like more, and buy that system. Its that simple.

Dagless
Nov 12, 2007, 05:38 AM
I have a ps3 and love it! Right now I have 9 games and don't forget blu-ray. High Def movies in 1080P plus the 360 has HD-DVD but you have to install it.
Wait, what? You know that by "instal" you just plug the drive into a 360 USB port?
And that you can use the same drive on a regular home computer too :) and they're region free :):)

Ps3 has built in wireless, free online and the games are getting better and better every month.
As opposed to the 360 that has games getting worse every month?

Its really up to you I haven't had a problem with my ps3 and I have had it for 11 months but the 360 has the RROD but I hear they fixed it! The decision is up to you! ;)
What about the chap whose PS3 broke because of dust in the system, he sent it off to Sony but they wouldn't fix it for free, claiming it was "an act of God". Whereas if anything goes wrong with a 360 in the next 3 years you're guaranteed a new system. Nintendo and Sony aren't matching that and it's costing MS billions.

Cloudane
Nov 12, 2007, 05:51 AM
Microsoft's attitude > Sony's attitude.
Hell, anyone's attitude > Sony's attitude.
360 wins.

Seriously though, whatever has the games you want, and whatever your friends are using. I may sell my soul to the devil (Sony) myself once FFXIII comes out.

Markleshark
Nov 12, 2007, 06:13 AM
Whereas if anything goes wrong with a 360 in the next 3 years you're guaranteed a new system. Nintendo and Sony aren't matching that and it's costing MS billions.

Fraid not. The extended warranty only covers the 3RLOD.

For me? The 360.

Titles are brilliant and the Online is worth every penny.

2nyRiggz
Nov 12, 2007, 06:26 AM
What about the chap whose PS3 broke because of dust in the system, he sent it off to Sony but they wouldn't fix it for free, claiming it was "an act of God". Whereas if anything goes wrong with a 360 in the next 3 years you're guaranteed a new system. Nintendo and Sony aren't matching that and it's costing MS billions.

http://consumerist.com/consumer/audio/sony-csr-what-no-dust-doesnt-void-your-ps3-warranty-321288.php

Interesting read for ya jimmi...and that "anything" going wrong with your 360 being replaced is just false my friend heck they don't even give you a new 360....seems like you never went through the motions with MS support.

Dude check out the gaming sites....IGN, Gametrailers and look at the games and if the bluray/hddvd got you divided then look at the movies you want.

Bless

twoodcc
Nov 12, 2007, 06:32 AM
to me the main difference is that the xbox has the dashboard thing that keeps your gamerscore from all the games that you play, and the ps3 doesn't.

Dagless
Nov 12, 2007, 06:33 AM
Hmm, that's odd. My friends 360 wouldn't boot up anymore. It didn't even give him the RR but it's in the process of being replaced :confused: must be related or something.

Plus if you just fancy getting a new system you can overheat the thing yourself and get a new one ;) not that you should or anything.

Taustin Powers
Nov 12, 2007, 07:36 AM
Someone clearly knows the PS3 games better then their Xbox 360 games :p

I guess I do follow the PS3 a little more closely. ;)

However, I went and looked at the highest rated and upcoming X360 games on IGN before I posted, and those seemed to be the only significant exclusives I found...did I miss some big titles?

Cromulent
Nov 12, 2007, 08:28 AM
The 360 does have the advantage of achievements which play a big part in my enjoyment of games. Plus the controller is much better.

But to be honest I don't think you would lose out no matter what system you got. Both are very good it just comes down to games (and maybe films) in the end.

pianoplayer1
Nov 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
Its your choice but it also depends on who you know. I have a PS3 and am a little upset because all my friends have the 360, so when they were playing Gears, or now Halo, I was left out.

So it depends on what u want and whos around to play.

ChrisK018
Nov 12, 2007, 08:42 AM
With my mediocre gaming skills I would hate to see my 'accomplishments' recorded for all to see. If shame and embarrassment is your main determining factor, it's PS3 all the way.

wwooden
Nov 12, 2007, 08:52 AM
Value wise: The PS3 wins without a doubt. I mean, you can't beat having wifi and hidef player built in for $50 more.

But if you are looking for a system to play games, the 360 beats the PS3. The Xbox community is great as well as live integration with the system and games. The PS3 makes you feel like you are playing alone even if online, while the 360 makes you feel like you are part of a community. Even though live cost $50 a year, you do get what you pay for. Download times are must fast on live compared to the PSN and there are a ton more people on live as well. I love that when I sign onto my 360 it tells me right away if I have any new messages or friends online instead of tucking it away in another menu. I hate to admit it but achievements are huge too, it becomes a game within itself.

The PS3 is a lot quieter than the 360 though, can barely hear it even if you are right next to it.

It is a tough decision: there are great games on both. I think the biggest decision from a gaming point if if you like to play games online with friends or not. If you mostly play games alone at home, then there will be tons of good rpg and other style games for the PS3. But if you are a online multiplayer style gamer, I would consider the 360 over the PS3.

Taustin Powers
Nov 12, 2007, 10:12 AM
I'm curious - why is it that people say online gaming is so much better on the xbox because there are more people online? You can't play with more than like 32 people (depending on the game) at the same time anyways, so who cares if there are thousands or millions playing at the same time as you?

I've done quite a lot of online gaming on the PS3 (Warhawk, Resistance, Rainbow6), and frankly, there have always been PLENTY of servers/games to choose from, loaded with people. NOT ONCE was there a shortage of servers/players.

Maybe there are even more people on xbox live, but I just don't see the benefit of it. :confused:

Antares
Nov 12, 2007, 10:29 AM
PS3 is the better value and exclusive games are really ramping up for it. Halo 3 and Mass Effect are the only two exclusive 360 games you would need to consider. If you want those two games, you have to go 360. However, since you're mainly interested in cross-platform games, you're better off with a PS3. Blu-ray was the deciding factor for me. As it's already included, you don't need to buy another player (or add-on, like the 360) to be able to watch HD movies. For region coding of movies, it seems like it's split 50-50. Half of all Blu-ray movies are region free, half are region specific. I haven't noticed a pattern. The same studio can release one movie region free and another region specific. Anyway, I think the PS3 has more going for it, overall.

MacRumorUser
Nov 12, 2007, 10:37 AM
I'm curious - why is it that people say online gaming is so much better on the xbox because there are more people online? You can't play with more than like 32 people (depending on the game) at the same time anyways, so who cares if there are thousands or millions playing at the same time as you?:

Because of the way LIVE! is integrated. The majority of gamers on PS3 online battles rarely communicate, even if the game supports headsets.

The way everything is unified with LIVE! as opposed to up to the developers.

The fact EVERY game has to be LIVE! aware as opposed to up to the developers.

The fact that the 360 dashboard, friends, gamer scores and achievements are all interconnected and tied with LIVE! too.

The fact that you genuinely have a reputation and a story online that you share with your opponents or comrades.

Game Invites whilst your playing the game, which simply can not be done on PSN because of a lack of XMB support in games.

LIVE! even though costs $$ is ultimately a better solution than PSN which feels very much generation 1 online. It simply lacks the refinement and finesse of LIVE!

There is a lot more to LIVE! experience than PSN, and PSN lacks a hell of a lot of basic things.

PSN does the job
LIVE! does the job VERY well.

There is a difference.

Either way.... Both are a damn site better implemented than the Wii ;)

Taustin Powers
Nov 12, 2007, 10:55 AM
I see, that does sound pretty cool.

So it's probably more the feature set and implementation of the Live service itself that makes it a better online experience, and not so much the number of people online...

MacRumorUser
Nov 12, 2007, 10:59 AM
I see, that does sound pretty cool.

So it's probably more the feature set and implementation of the Live service itself that makes it a better online experience, and not so much the number of people online...

Yep that's it to a tee really.

I mean I love my PS3, and 360 equally. But say I was buying a game wit the purpose of playing online I would definetly choose the 360 version over PS3, just because of the way it's implemented.

I mean warhawk and resistance are great, but when your friend notice pops up that someone has signed on, why cant I send them a basic request to come and join me ? Very basic service, but very important.

RichL
Nov 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
I've been a Sony backer for years but the 360 won me over for a couple reasons. One comical and sort of ironic reason is the fact that some companies that were exclusive to Sony and their PlayStations have gone cross-platformin'. You can't lose with a 360. You've got the great xbox titles along with some of the most widely known PlayStation titles.

Off to play GH3 on my big black beast of a 360 ^_^

Dagless
Nov 12, 2007, 11:52 AM
I'm curious - why is it that people say online gaming is so much better on the xbox because there are more people online? You can't play with more than like 32 people (depending on the game) at the same time anyways, so who cares if there are thousands or millions playing at the same time as you?

I've done quite a lot of online gaming on the PS3 (Warhawk, Resistance, Rainbow6), and frankly, there have always been PLENTY of servers/games to choose from, loaded with people. NOT ONCE was there a shortage of servers/players.

Maybe there are even more people on xbox live, but I just don't see the benefit of it. :confused:

You're not saying that to enjoy an online system you online need 32 people playing worldwide?
There are still thousands of people Mario Kart DS, but it doesn't make match finding easy as there are so many parameters for matches that can cut thousands of people down to just a handful. Ping latency, game options all come into account.

More is better, don't let Sony tell you any different ;)

zero2dash
Nov 12, 2007, 01:07 PM
Both systems have good exclusives and both share 95% of the same multiplatform games.

Pick the exclusives you'd rather have and buy that system. Or do the smart thing and buy both even if it's one now and one later.

spyker3292
Nov 12, 2007, 03:35 PM
Hellooo? What do you think? (Directed toward thread maker)

irbdavid
Nov 12, 2007, 03:48 PM
Which of the two (360 / PS3) makes the best media-centre, particularly from the point of view of a mac user? I don't want to have to fire up my PC all the time to get content onto a 360.

Fezwick
Nov 12, 2007, 04:03 PM
Which of the two (360 / PS3) makes the best media-centre, particularly from the point of view of a mac user? I don't want to have to fire up my PC all the time to get content onto a 360.

You can connect to your 360 from your Mac with Connect360 (http://www.nullriver.com/index/products/connect360). You can stream all of your music, videos and pics with it. I've only used the limited demo, but it works very well.

I can't vouch for the PS3's media center capabilities as I don't have one.

MacRumorUser
Nov 12, 2007, 04:18 PM

As Fezwck says the 360 wins this because of Connect 360.

There is no application at the moment that allows this streaming to PS3 from our macs. So to be honest it's a one horse race until one arrives.

Connect 360 works very well I may add.

JackAxe
Nov 12, 2007, 04:50 PM
I just did a search for a mac-to-ps3 streaming app, because I was curious and found this:
http://www.twonkyvision.de/

Regardless of how it works, It's available. ;)

If I ever go down this streaming route, I'll just buy an AppleTV, but I really don't see a need for it or any other setup at this time, since I pay for Dish Network and NetFlix, and I don't do that torrent thing.

<]=)

MacRumorUser
Nov 12, 2007, 05:03 PM
I just did a search for a mac-to-ps3 streaming app, because I was curious and found this:

Cheers mate.. I'll download that now and give it a try and see how it works.

jaw04005
Nov 12, 2007, 05:22 PM

Just because it's available doesn't make it a viable alternative. There is nothing like Connect 360 for PS3. In fact, there are no major DLNA/UPNP servers on the Mac.

I have both consoles, but I would recommend the XBOX 360.

Microsoft took a page from Apple's book by closing down the 360, and making developers agree to implement integrated features that make all the 360's games' features somewhat uniform (integrated chat, mandatory achievements, integrated XBOX Live support, etc). The 360's Dashboard interface is colorful, appealing and easy to use. The integrated media connectivity is outstanding (Media Center Extender support, built-in media audio and video player, visualizations, excellent support of major audio and video codecs (H.264, MPEG-4 and WMV), etc. And the sheer amount of titles (exclusive and non-exclusive) make the 360 a great console.

The XBOX 360 just feels polished (software wise).

I don't plan on ditching my PS3 anytime soon. It's a fantastic DVD and Blu-ray player, and there are some great exclusives like Warhawk and Ratchet and Clank. However, the PS3 feels pieced together. This may change with Home, but Sony is going to have to really shake up their Playstation division for that to happen.

It's like there are all these fantastic features (video chat support, etc), but they're not integrated into actual gameplay or even available as an overlay. I just don't get it.

MacRumorUser
Nov 12, 2007, 05:24 PM
twonky isn't working well for me. Just get DNLA error all the time, and cant find where it is installed on my mac to see how to configure it ?

Think I'll give up for the night and try tomorrow.

Connect 360 for me was a simple case of install, and turn on.

JackAxe
Nov 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
Just because it's available doesn't make it a viable alternative.

"Regardless of how it works," It's available. ;) You're preaching to the wrong person.

<]=)

johnmartin78
Nov 12, 2007, 09:07 PM
hmm,I have both and like both for different reasons.As far as game library the 360 wins easily,but as far as hardware the PS3 is far superior.xbox live however is the best online experience on a console.

I think the PS3 has more potential for the future,I mean they will eventually get a better game selection.

The 360 hardware will stay clunky.My first 360 got the red ring within 8 months,now with my replacement system,I have to pry the disc drive open with a pocket knife.And it has constant problems reading brand new discs.

Rovias
Nov 12, 2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. After reading all of your insightful posts and internally debating which games I'm looking forward to, I actually have decided to go with the PS3 instead. It seems $50 bucks more will get me a lot. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly!

spyker3292
Nov 12, 2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone. After reading all of your insightful posts and internally debating which games I'm looking forward to, I actually have decided to go with the PS3 instead. It seems $50 bucks more will get me a lot. Thanks to everyone who responded kindly!

OK, and if you want to try something I heard this coupon for K-mart works at "most" K-marts for 20% off anything (PS3 included).

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/deals/dealzmodo-20-off-at-kmart-means-ps3-for-319-xbox-360-premium-for-279-321783.php

It says it isn't supposed to be copied but what cashier reads small print, and if you click the source link to the Blu ray forums almost all of the people who tried got it to work, I called up and the person said it should work but she needs to see the coupon.

Adokimus
Nov 12, 2007, 09:47 PM
Seems that everyone has already made the main points. For what it's worth, I have the 360 and I do not regret it for a second. The 360 has better exclusive titles, a WAY better online experience, better graphics (see: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=result;title;0 ), and more higher rated games (see: http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/ vs. http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/ ), and I just like it more. But, the ps3 has promise and a few exclusives that I would really like to play. The ps3 is also the best deal on a blu ray player at the moment, so if you have an HDTV that could make the decision for you, but blu ray prices will keep dropping while you rock out on your 360.

To break it down:

If you're a gamer, go for the 360.

If you're into HD movies, go for the ps3.

Just my opinion. But, I love Halo and first person shooters, so I favor the platform that does them better...

-Ado

spyker3292
Nov 12, 2007, 10:09 PM
Seems that everyone has already made the main points. For what it's worth, I have the 360 and I do not regret it for a second. The 360 has better exclusive titles, a WAY better online experience, better graphics (see: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/index.html?tag=result;title;0 ), and more higher rated games (see: http://www.metacritic.com/games/xbox360/scores/ vs. http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/ ), and I just like it more. But, the ps3 has promise and a few exclusives that I would really like to play. The ps3 is also the best deal on a blu ray player at the moment, so if you have an HDTV that could make the decision for you, but blu ray prices will keep dropping while you rock out on your 360.

To break it down:

If you're a gamer, go for the 360.

If you're into HD movies, go for the ps3.

Just my opinion. But, I love Halo and first person shooters, so I favor the platform that does them better...

-Ado

Well... I'm a gamer who's getting a PS3, I guess I'd rather play RnC, Warhawk, Uncharted, and etc than Halo. And lot's of the comparison shots are old ones, when people didn't know how to develop for a PS3, now I've seen almost exact graphics shots (saw some CoD4 comparisons). But some of your points are fine. At the moment the PS3 and 360 are so identical all it comes down to is what games you want and if you want to pay for HD vid, wi-fi and online play.

safetyobc
Nov 12, 2007, 10:30 PM
I got a 360 only for Gears of War (but have sinced bought several other games). I like the 360. Halo 3 was okay, but way too short of a game.

I had a PS2, and loved the Ratchet and Clank series.

My brand new 360 Red Ringed at about 3 months old. I sent it in for repair, and got a different box back that runs hotter and much louder. If they fix the Red Ring of Death, then I think the 360 is the way to go. If not, go PS3.

I love XBox Live gaming. It is so much fun. I play Gears, Madden, Halo 3, Rainbow 6, Forza (awesome racing game) and several others. I really like my 360, but hate the RRoD issue. I am glad M$ extended the warranty to 3 years for RRoD. That makes me feel better.

However, I like that the PS3 offers Blue Ray (sp?)

pgc6000
Nov 13, 2007, 11:28 AM
We have a thread like this somewhere.....
Haha it may of been the one I started around this same time last year...If memory serves correctly, I think we pretty much decided the 360 was a better package... I for one am very satisfied with my 360, but the PS3 has gone down in price and with the Blu-Ray component and growing game library...well let's just say it's a close call. At this point I personally still see the 360 as a better overall console, but that's just because it better satisfies my taste.