PDA

View Full Version : 1.25gig g4 mdd vs 1.25gig 15inch g4 PB

andyjamesnelson
Sep 17, 2003, 01:36 PM
hi i really want to get a laptop.. still i would need to sell me desktop.. its a single 1.25gig mdd g4.. what i'm wondering is , would my desktop kick the laptops ass? am i only going to face a massive speed and performance drop if i swap over to the laptop? right now i'm using me com for video and audio work, yet i want to take this work live so i need a laptop. yet if the laptop cannot really take the strain maybe i will just get the 12inch and keep me desktop.. or maybe i will just brake the bank and get the 15inch anyway.. still i really would like to know the performance difference between the two machines.. if you can help me please do, thanks andy.

mkaake
Sep 17, 2003, 02:09 PM
eh~

buying advice is hard to give. check out test results at

http://www.barefeats.com/al15.html

at the very bottom, they compare the 15 to some desktops (albeit, the g4 desktop is a 1.42 dual, which can still hold it's own against the g5's).

Basically, you'll take a performance hit. I wouldn't expect it to be horrible, but if you really need to know, hop yourself over to an apple store or an apple retailer and toss one around for a little bit - see what it can do compared to what you can do with your mdd... nothing beats hands on...

matt

acj
Sep 17, 2003, 02:12 PM
The most notable difference may be disc access. 7200RPM vs 5400 or 4200 for the laptop.

t^3
Sep 17, 2003, 04:20 PM
What about getting an external HD for the laptop? Would this help even the difference?